View Full Version : NORFOLK STATE 09 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

GOODY26
December 4th, 2008, 02:34 PM
NSU Announces 2009 Football Schedule
Seven Home Games Highlight 11-Game Schedule
Matt Michalec, SID
Email to a Friend | Print
12/4/2008 1:58:14 PM
NORFOLK, Va. – Norfolk State University athletics director Marty L. Miller and head football coach Pete Adrian announced Thursday the Spartans’ 2009 football schedule. Seven of the team’s 11 games are at home at Dick Price Stadium, including the Spartans’ non-conference games against Virginia State, William & Mary and Winston-Salem State.

As usual, NSU kicks off the season on Labor Day Weekend (Sept. 5, 2009) in the Labor Day Classic against Virginia State of the CIAA. Next year will mark the 19th straight season that NSU will open against the Trojans, and 2009 marks the 46th meeting between the old rivals.

After opening MEAC play at North Carolina A&T on Sept. 12, NSU returns home for four consecutive games. The run begins on Sept. 19 against William & Mary in the schools’ fourth series meeting. The teams met in Williamsburg this past season with the Tribe prevailing 42-12.

The Spartans then host MEAC foes Bethune-Cookman (Sept. 26), South Carolina State (Oct. 10) and Hampton (Oct. 17) in succession, three of the four top teams in the conference last season. Howard visits Dick Price Stadium for the Spartans’ homecoming on Halloween, Oct. 31. NSU’s home finale is against Winston-Salem State on Nov. 21.

Other MEAC road games take NSU to Florida A&M (Oct. 24), Morgan State (Nov. 7) and Delaware State (Nov. 14).

“We’re very excited to have seven home games next season,” Adrian said. “And this figures to be one of the strongest home schedules our program has had with the caliber of teams that we play here.”

2009 NSU Football Schedule (home games in bold – times subject to change)
Sept. 5 Virginia State (Labor Day Classic) Norfolk, Va. 6 p.m.
Sept. 12 at North Carolina A&T Greensboro, N.C. TBA
Sept. 19 William & Mary Norfolk, Va. 6 p.m.
Sept. 26 Bethune-Cookman (Fish Bowl Classic) Norfolk, Va. 4 p.m.
Oct. 10 South Carolina State Norfolk, Va. 1 p.m.
Oct. 17 Hampton (Battle of the Bay) Norfolk, Va. 1 p.m.
Oct. 24 at Florida A&M Tallahassee, Fla. TBA
Oct. 31 Howard (Homecoming) Norfolk, Va. 1 p.m.
Nov. 7 at Morgan State Baltimore, Md. TBA
Nov. 14 at Delaware State Dover, Del. TBA
Nov. 21 Winston-Salem State Norfolk, Va. 1 p.m.

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/2/20/rp_primary_NSUAthltcscolor.jpg

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Man, 7 Home Games. That's pretty cool. Only 10 counters, though, which is unfortunate.

813Jag
December 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Is WSSU a MEAC game?

DSUrocks07
December 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Is WSSU a MEAC game?

I may be wrong...but I don't think WSSU is eligible until 2010, and championship eligible until 2011.

gr8ness97?

DSUrocks07
December 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Man this 9 game MEAC mandate is killing us...WSSU will count as an OOC but all MEAC teams are required to play them. That eats up one of our OOC dates. xnonono2x And I'm not sure but once NCCU gets approved we all will have to play them too.

Unless Savannah State comes in as well in a package deal along with a divisional split. xnodx

813Jag
December 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I may be wrong...but I don't think WSSU is eligible until 2010, and championship eligible until 2011.

gr8ness97?
Is MEAC going to a 9 game schedule? I hope not.

GannonFan
December 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Man this 9 game MEAC mandate is killing us...WSSU will count as an OOC but all MEAC teams are required to play them. That eats up one of our OOC dates. xnonono2x And I'm not sure but once NCCU gets approved we all will have to play them too.

Unless Savannah State comes in as well in a package deal along with a divisional split. xnodx

Agreed - 9 game mandates blow. With playing a DII in Va St (not that there's anything wrong with that), there's only one OOC game against another FCS conference - very little to judge the conference on, then, come playoff selection time.

813Jag
December 4th, 2008, 03:04 PM
9 game mandate killed the SWAC, you can't tell how good your team is playing the same teams. It's gonna take a while to get back on solid ground.