PDA

View Full Version : Coulson's Round 2 Picks

ASU_Pads
December 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Coulson likes Nova, Weber, UNI, and the Apps. What do you think?

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4195514

SeattleGriz
December 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4195514

I'm thinking he's wrong on Weber. xwhistlex

Native
December 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
I'm thinking he's wrong on Weber. xwhistlex

xeekx

GrizNation93
December 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Shocking that Coulson picked against the Griz.

JMU DUUUKES
December 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No need to start a 10 pg thread on what we already knew, "JMU losing, Appalachian winning" Funny how he's said it every week and yet, 11 straight W's .... his retardedness and complete lack of journalistic integrity is our good luck charm !

MTGrizzFan
December 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
Shocking that Coulson picked against the Griz.

Imagine that

UNHWildCats
December 3rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
picks appy and against UNH.

Such a big surprise.

He would pick against UNH if they were playing a pee wee team.

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
cue the JMU fans complaining

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Am I the only non-App fan that doesn't think Coulson has a vendetta against his team?

SeattleGriz
December 3rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Am I the only non-App fan that doesn't think Coulson has a vendetta against my team?

Yes

Hoyadestroya85
December 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Am I the only non-App fan that doesn't think Coulson has a vendetta against his team?

Coulson seems to love Villanova.. like big time

GOKATS
December 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Coulson doesn't like the griz and Coulson doesn't like the Cats and we as Montanans don't like Coulson.xnodx

However in this weekends game I have to agree with him in the WSU/griz game.;)

Ronbo
December 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Imagine that

Blah, blah, blah. He and Burton are two peas in a pod.

Hey guys, even a broken clock is right twice a day. You guys will get it right one of these days.xsmiley_wix

JmuSkinsfan
December 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Shocker! Coulson is our anti-jinx. Picked against us last week. I believe he also picked against us in about 40% of our games this year, including Appy, UR, Nova and Umass...

Keep 'em coming! My fear is that Coulson picks up on his anti-jinx of JMU and if JMU and Appy meet in the championship, he'll pick JMU so his precious Mountaineers win itxrolleyesx

AppIAA
December 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
his retardedness and complete lack of journalistic integrity is our good luck charm !

See, even JMU fans think they got lucky during the regular season xsmiley_wix

texcap
December 4th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Blah, blah, blah. He and Burton are two peas in a pod.

Hey guys, even a broken clock is right twice a day. You guys will get it right one of these days.xsmiley_wix

By picking Appalachian every game in the playoffs he has a 13 game winning streak.

What is your winning streak? xsmiley_wix

GGASU
December 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Shocker! Coulson is our anti-jinx. Picked against us last week. I believe he also picked against us in about 40% of our games this year, including Appy, UR, Nova and Umass...

Keep 'em coming! My fear is that Coulson picks up on his anti-jinx of JMU and if JMU and Appy meet in the championship, he'll pick JMU so his precious Mountaineers win itxrolleyesx

You will need more than Coulson picking against you, to beat the Mountaineers at their second home!

WMTribe90
December 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Coulson picked the CAA to go 2-3 in the first round, so he really has zero credibility to me. UR and UNH are both underdogs on the road, but I have a feeling the CAA will have two teams still in the hunt come Sunday.

Peems
December 4th, 2008, 01:15 AM
As a griz fan, I don't find it too far of a stretch to see him picking against us. He was at the Weber game when the Griz lost

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2008, 01:19 AM
While I agree he seems to pick against Montana and JMU a lot, this is the playoffs.

He is not out of line in picking any team over any other team, especially in week 2 of the playoffs.

travelinman67
December 4th, 2008, 01:38 AM
It ain't personal guys. I read Coulson's remarks, agree with most of them, and it backs his picks. I think he's spot on.

All the Griz and CAA folks need to chill...this ain't gonna be a walk in the park...win or lose, Weber and Nova are formidable this year.

uofmman1122
December 4th, 2008, 01:52 AM
It ain't personal guys. I read Coulson's remarks, agree with most of them, and it backs his picks. I think he's spot on.

All the Griz and CAA folks need to chill...this ain't gonna be a walk in the park...win or lose, Weber and Nova are formidable this year.Exactly. xnodx

It's nice when we can agree on something. xlolx:p

JMU Newbill
December 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I agree with App and UNH... but I really think that its gonna be Montana vs. JMU next week in Harrisonburg. Might be a bit of a homer pick, and a little wishful thinking, but I have thought since Day 1 this season that JMU, ASU, and Montana were the three best teams in the country.

Oh well... "that's why they play the games"

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Dave C: Tim Silver is out for the season. He has been since early October. Please do more than read our pre-season media guide and look at the Post Season CAA teams when preparing your analysis. Thanks.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 4th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Dave C: Tim Silver is out for the season. He has been since early October. Please do more than read our pre-season media guide and look at the Post Season CAA teams when preparing your analysis. Thanks.

That guy was a beast in the Richmond vs. JMU game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 4th, 2008, 06:41 AM

He is a beast but he was hindered by a re-constructed knee until he re-injured it during or following the JMU game. The line has actually performed much better since then, mostly because of Tim's lack of mobility this year. Hopefully he can get it fixed and gets a shot at the NFL.

AshevilleApp2
December 4th, 2008, 06:50 AM
While I agree he seems to pick against Montana and JMU a lot, this is the playoffs.

He is not out of line in picking any team over any other team, especially in week 2 of the playoffs.

I agree. It seems to me that there are 7 teams right now that have a legitimate shot at the championship.

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 07:00 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No need to start a 10 pg thread on what we already knew, "JMU losing, Appalachian winning" Funny how he's said it every week and yet, 11 straight W's .... his retardedness and complete lack of journalistic integrity is our good luck charm !

He picked Towson to beat JMU? Interesting, I could have sworn it was the either way around. Oh well, I guess fans of the #1 team has to have something to get them going...xrotatehx

19Duke97
December 4th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I agree. It seems to me that there are 7 teams right now that have a legitimate shot at the championship.

Ok I'll bite, which one do you think does not have a chance?

Dukie95
December 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I really feel for him this week. He was forced to pick for a CAA team.

Dukie95
December 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM

No complaining here...good things happen when he picks against us. :)

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Apparently he picked (in his mind) the lesser of to evils xlolx

AshevilleApp2
December 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ok I'll bite, which one do you think does not have a chance?

I think the road will be to hard for UNH.

19Duke97
December 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure why, but it does appear that Mr. Coulson does not care for the CAA. Whether that's envy, irritation, or whatever, he seems to to have an irrational dislike for the whole conference, and it seethes through his writing. On the flip side, I don't believe App State can do any wrong in his eyes. The only issue I have with the whole picture, is that he is trying to pass himself off as a professional writer, which in theory, should be devoid of personal opinions.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure why, but it does appear that Mr. Coulson does not care for the CAA. Whether that's envy, irritation, or whatever, he seems to to have an irrational dislike for the whole conference, and it seethes through his writing. On the flip side, I don't believe App State can do any wrong in his eyes. The only issue I have with the whole picture, is that he is trying to pass himself off as a professional writer, which in theory, should be devoid of personal opinions.

Not to mention his articles are pretty boring compared to the ones posted on championshipsubdivisionnews.

19Duke97
December 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think the road will be to hard for UNH.

I would tend to agree, but they are a solid team, and at this point, any team could get hot and win it all. I think all 8 have a shot, some just hav easier roads to get there (all seeded teams at this point).

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure why, but it does appear that Mr. Coulson does not care for the CAA.

I don't know if it's that he doesn't care for the CAA, but I'm up for a Dave Coulson v. Bruce Dowd cage match!!

I'm really not surprised he picked against JMU. I don't think it's because he hates us, I just don't think he thinks we're that good, and I'm okay with that, because it's an opinion. His analysis of the game was pretty good, I thought.

Keep in mind, that in 2004 the Sports Network writer (I think it was Dougherty) picked against us every round...:D

bandl
December 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I don't know if it's that he doesn't care for the CAA, but I'm up for a Dave Coulson v. Bruce Dowd cage match!!

I'm really not surprised he picked against JMU. I don't think it's because he hates us, I just don't think he thinks we're that good, and I'm okay with that, because it's an opinion. His analysis of the game was pretty good, I thought.

Keep in mind, that in 2004 the Sports Network writer (I think it was Dougherty) picked against us every round...:D

I recall that quite well. That was before I joined AGS (the nerve of me!!!), and I e-mailed back and forth with him before and after every single game. I'll see if I can find that e-mail chain.... xreadx

19Duke97
December 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Yeah, well in 2004, after the first round many reasonable people would have picked against JMU. However the scene is much different this year, and we are at home, #1 in the country, and have not lost since the first week. I'm not sure what else JMU can do, save winning the National Championship, to get more respect from Mr. C, and other factions of thei AGS board. But, as I have stated on this board before, respect is a sidebar, winning games is what is important, IMHO. xnodx

AshevilleApp2
December 4th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I would tend to agree, but they are a solid team, and at this point, any team could get hot and win it all. I think all 8 have a shot, some just hav easier roads to get there (all seeded teams at this point).

Certainly any team can get hot and win. xnodx

mcveyrl
December 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure what else JMU can do, save winning the National Championship, to get more respect from Mr. C, and other factions of thei AGS board. But, as I have stated on this board before, respect is a sidebar, winning games is what is important, IMHO. xnodx

That's probably the crux of why I don't care. If he picks against and we win, what do I care what he thinks? If he picks against us and we lose, that's not why we lost.

And for those that think it's just JMU and Montana fans that do this, there are a lot of other teams fans that belittle any suggestion that they might lose, too, it just happens that the pick doesn't come from Mr. Coulson.

jus10asu
December 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I think he's right on except for the Weber pick....I see Montana getting revenge this week. I'm kinda on the fence about the Villanova and JMU game...JMU has the home field advantage but I still think nova can cause JMU to be sittin at home next week. I feel like ASU will start their 3 game domination run this weekend against Richmond with a possible slow start. And the UNI pick should be good also. But who knows...this is football and anything can happen. Is it Saturday yet?

MacThor
December 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Yeah, he was the beast who cost us 15-yard personal fouls on two consecutive plays!

MacThor
December 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Coulson seems to love Villanova.. like big time

If he could have found a way to not pick a CAA team to win that game, he would have.

wideright82
December 4th, 2008, 08:05 AM
If he could have found a way to not pick a CAA team to win that game, he would have.

JMU vs Villanova - i see BOTH teams losing this battle at JMU. Neither team really has a shot. Therefore App State will have to play the winner of UNI/UNH AND the winner of Montana/Weber St. Should be one hell of a semi final for those boys.

appfan2008
December 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM
i think he does a fine job but i am an app fan

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I think he does an ok job. I like him, you take his articles for what he does--give opinions. I don't think he has a vendetta against anyone and if he does, so what? He's not paid to be impartial, if he was he would say every game would end in a tie. He's paid to form a subjective opinion based on what he thinks, feels, sees. Take his picks however you will, but for some to call him names and such is just childish and flat out ridiculous.

sharkeycox
December 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Yes.xeyebrowx

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm kind of surprised Coulson couldn't find a way for Furman, Elon or Wofford to win the UNI/UNH game.

Hell, he'd pick WCU to win that game.

grizbeer
December 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM

All the Griz and CAA folks need to chill...this ain't gonna be a walk in the park...win or lose, Weber and Nova are formidable this year.
I have no problem with Coulson picking Weber over Montana, that is a reasonable pick. Where I have issues is this:

The No. 12-ranked Wildcats hadn't beaten Montana anywhere since 1998 and haven't won a game in Missoula since before Washington-Grizzly Stadium existed in 1987.
WA-Griz was built in 1986, Weber beat Montana in Wa-Griz in '87

Montana also knows it has only been beaten twice by one team in the same season, by Idaho in 1982 and 1988.
Montana beat Idaho in the regular season both of those years, they were not beaten twice by the same team.

Why throw out facts if you don't check them. These weren't opinions he was stating, they were facts, and he got them exactly wrong. If he gets this many facts wrong about Montana I can only imagine he gets them wrong in most everything he writes. It is like he writes what he thinks makes a good story instead of what is accurate.

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
JMU vs Villanova - i see BOTH teams losing this battle at JMU. Neither team really has a shot. Therefore App State will have to play the winner of UNI/UNH AND the winner of Montana/Weber St. Should be one hell of a semi final for those boys.

Nah. He'll just move App to the finals and have the Montana/Weber winner play UNI (whether UNH wins against UNI or not does not matter).

TCisMYhero
December 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm kind of surprised Coulson couldn't find a way for Furman, Elon or Wofford to play in the UNI/UNH game.

Hell, he'd pick WCU to play in that game.

Fixed it. No CAA heartbreakers this year. xcoffeex

Down with the Foe!
December 4th, 2008, 09:42 AM
If your gonna be a bear...Be a Grizzly!!!

Bring it onnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Go Griz!

South Carolina Duke
December 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Agreed! There is little objectivity in the articles he provides.

However, I urge you to please be careful on any remarks concerning a particular sports writer. Differing opinions are construed as personal attacks by some folks.

19Duke97
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Agreed! There is little objectivity in the articles he provides.

However, I urge you to please be careful on any remarks concerning a particular sports writer. Differing opinions are construed as personal attacks by some folks.

Somehow I lose little sleep over this issue. xlolx And if a sports writer has such thin skin to become bothered over message board banter, then he/she should really consider leaving that professional field of work. Concerning other folks, well, anything you say could be considered a personal attack if construed out of context.

Hoboken Dukes
December 4th, 2008, 10:14 AM
our boy dowd ain't gonna be picking jmu in his article today either. guaranteed he goes with 'nova, he's thought they were the best or 2nd best team in the country since they beat richmond and lost to us on the hail mary.

CharlestonAppFan
December 4th, 2008, 10:16 AM
So...here's my take on the Coulson writings.

Yes, he's an App leaning writer with certain biases toward this program xnodx and the SoCon, but he did serve as the beat writer for ASU for several years so I think he knows a lil something about this football team, the players recruited, and the coaching staff and philosophy. Maybe he's seen enough FCS football over the years to come to the realization that our App football program is at the top of the mountain, so to speak, in all of FCS. No, ASU is not invinceable xsmhx but our team has been the past 3 years in the playoffs xnodx and he's predicted it xthumbsupx .

As I recall, not many FCS writers have picked App to continue their success winning NC's when it actually comes down to picking the champion except him and the former Sports Network writer he replaced(who's name I cannot remember - Dougherty maybe?...incidentially he picked App to win it all in 2005 at the beginning of the playoffs and 2006 right after the 2005 championship game had concluded)....was he an App homer too? xeyebrowx

I don't think he hates the CAA at all xsmhx It may be hard to conclude which team is the hottest CAA team in the playoffs this year. In 2006 it was UMass (who as I recall he predicted would beat the Griz that year....but that was because he had a Griz bias, huh Griz fans? xsmiley_wix ), last year it was Delaware (can't remember if he picked them from the start but I remember him saying on WAVES that this team probably had the best chance of going to the NC game out of all the CAA teams...against App :D ). This year he's on the Villanova bandwagon...and not JMU, but that's because he HATES JMU, right? xeyebrowx

Yes, he's been wrong before, but how many of us have been wrong the past few years (excluding us App posters xsmiley_wix )...let's see how it plays out before we go bashing him prematurely again xthumbsupx

ysubigred
December 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL!! xthumbsupx

MacThor
December 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I don't think he hates the CAA at all xsmhx It may be hard to conclude which team is the hottest CAA team in the playoffs this year. In 2006 it was UMass (who as I recall he predicted would beat the Griz that year....but that was because he had a Griz bias, huh Griz fans? xsmiley_wix ), last year it was Delaware (can't remember if he picked them from the start but I remember him saying on WAVES that this team probably had the best chance of going to the NC game out of all the CAA teams...against App :D ). This year he's on the Villanova bandwagon...and not JMU, but that's because he HATES JMU, right? xeyebrowx

I agree with most of your post, but you are ignoring some very obvious anti-CAA bias. Last year he railed against UNH's selection, saying that "0-11 Indiana State would love to take a crack at them."

For the record in 2007's first round, he had the opportunity to project results for 5 CAA teams and 2 SoCon teams. In every case, his projected score for the CAA team was worse than the actual result, and his MOV for the 2 SoCon teams was better than the result. He had Delaware barely beating DE St. In the second round, with 3 CAA and 2 SoCon, he did the exact same thing, with Delaware losing to UNI and Richmond losing to Wofford.

So, he went 8 for 8 under-projecting the CAA, and 4 for 4 over-projecting the Southern Conference. That's either flipping a coin heads 12 times in a row, or that's bias.

uni88
December 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I think he does an ok job. I like him, you take his articles for what he does--give opinions. I don't think he has a vendetta against anyone and if he does, so what? He's not paid to be impartial, if he was he would say every game would end in a tie. He's paid to form a subjective opinion based on what he thinks, feels, sees. Take his picks however you will, but for some to call him names and such is just childish and flat out ridiculous.

I agree with you on what he's paid to do - he is a sports columnist and his columns are subjective; they don't need to be objective and unbiased in the same manner that a journalist reporting on a game's results should. But he is also a professional journalist and readers have the right to call him out on what they perceive as biases or faulty opinions just like a reader can write to their local paper complaining about an editorial or column that was run. It would be better if people didn't call him names but people are people. If he can't take it, he's in the wrong profession.

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I agree with most of your post, but you are ignoring some very obvious anti-CAA bias. Last year he railed against UNH's selection, saying that "0-11 Indiana State would love to take a crack at them."

For the record in 2007's first round, he had the opportunity to project results for 5 CAA teams and 2 SoCon teams. In every case, his projected score for the CAA team was worse than the actual result, and his MOV for the 2 SoCon teams was better than the result. He had Delaware barely beating DE St. In the second round, with 3 CAA and 2 SoCon, he did the exact same thing, with Delaware losing to UNI and Richmond losing to Wofford.

So, he went 8 for 8 under-projecting the CAA, and 4 for 4 over-projecting the Southern Conference. That's either flipping a coin heads 12 times in a row, or that's bias.

Well Done. xthumbsupx

wideright82
December 4th, 2008, 11:08 AM
our boy dowd ain't gonna be picking jmu in his article today either. guaranteed he goes with 'nova, he's thought they were the best or 2nd best team in the country since they beat richmond and lost to us on the hail mary.

do you not agree with him? I mean he may pick Nova, but do you not agree we are possibly the best or second best in the country?

South Carolina Duke
December 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM

I guess it is just as childish and ridiculous as the thread that some Appy fans began regarding Kirk Herbstreet on ESPN. Appy fans wanted to crucify Herbstreet. Right?!

The sportswriter in question, lived in and worked for a local paper in Boone for 14 years. He is BIASED. End of story.

WrenFGun
December 4th, 2008, 11:24 AM
do you not agree with him? I mean he may pick Nova, but do you not agree we are possibly the best or second best in the country?

Villanova is behind ASU and JMU for me, but it's pretty close. I'd have them firmly ahead of the other five teams in the field, who I'd lump as being all pretty similar.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I believe I have had Villanova at #2 or #3 pretty much all season in my AGS poll - maybe a little lower in the first couple weeks, but no lower than #3 since their loss to JMU. xpeacex

They are the most complete team in FCS IMO. However, I am not sure if they can handle 60 min of either Landers or Edwards. These final 8 teams are all fairly close and should make for some GREAT football this weekend and the following two weekends. xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I agree with you on what he's paid to do - he is a sports columnist and his columns are subjective; they don't need to be objective and unbiased in the same manner that a journalist reporting on a game's results should. But he is also a professional journalist and readers have the right to call him out on what they perceive as biases or faulty opinions just like a reader can write to their local paper complaining about an editorial or column that was run. It would be better if people didn't call him names but people are people. If he can't take it, he's in the wrong profession.

I'm not sure he can't take it--I think he can. I'm not speaking for him, just making a point on how I see it. They can call out biases if they want (I have done that for newspaper articles as you mentioned). I am not sure if a message board is the place to do it, when they could write to him. At the same rate, maybe a message board is the right place. I just don't think he "has it out" for JMU or the CAA, maybe he just refuses to acknowledge their success...maybe it hurts too much inside. :)

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
This one is easy. He is entitled to pick who he thinks will win, it's his opinion. At the same time, we are entitled to think he is a d1ck because he hates us. Can't have it one way without the other. I could care less what he says, doesn't bother me, but I can see how it would piss some people off. That is what is great about the US, we get to have an opinion and use it xnodx xbowx

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I guess it is just as childish and ridiculous as the thread that some Appy fans began regarding Kirk Herbstreet on ESPN. Appy fans wanted to crucify Herbstreet. Right?!

The sportswriter in question, lived in and worked for a local paper in Boone for 14 years. He is BIASED. End of story.

Yeah, I think so. But, it's funny because he's Herbstreit, and it was in the smack forum. I don't like Herbie for more than just him calling FCS and ASU cupcakes, he also went to Ohio State. But, I'm not going to call him names.

I never said he (Coulson) wasn't biased, I actually said he was biased...not sure why you missed that. I think I'm correct in saying he is paid to be subjective (biased). And, if he's a bad journalist and don't like him, do like I do and don't read his articles. I don't really have an opinion on his journalistic abilities, I just don't read his columns.

T-Dog
December 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM

And remember, Dowd loves App this year. We managed to convert him. xnodx

I was left with the feeling that I MIGHT have just watched the FOUR-Time National Champions play. It was that impressive!

xrulesx

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-visits-boone-they-re-baaaa&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

However if push comes to shove I think he's taking JMU or Nova over App in the finals. xoopsx

South Carolina Duke
December 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Agreed, I did not start this thread, I am only responding to it. Perhaps it should have been listed in the smack forum. Perhaps the sportswriter in question, should title his column exactly that, "Smack"
Just as Griz fan said earlier, we are entitled to an opinion. I know I have wasted too much time on Coulson and his writing.

uni88
December 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure he can't take it--I think he can. I'm not speaking for him, just making a point on how I see it. They can call out biases if they want (I have done that for newspaper articles as you mentioned). I am not sure if a message board is the place to do it, when they could write to him. At the same rate, maybe a message board is the right place. I just don't think he "has it out" for JMU or the CAA, maybe he just refuses to acknowledge their success...maybe it hurts too much inside. :)

I don't know him so I don't know if he can take or not and I don't really care. I don't read his columns very often, based on the comments that others on AGS (those more knowledgeable about their teams) have made his research can be a little shoddy (players graduating or injured not accounted for, etc.) and if I can't trust the underlying research I tend to bypass the writer. I did like to read what Mr. C posted on AGS, I found his opinions thoughtful and informative.

I don't know if he "has it out" for the CAA or Montana but he does tend to pick against them quite frequently. I've haven't noticed the same for UNI but I haven't looked for it either.

You're right about the name calling - it should be on the smack board but I have to wonder how long the thread would last.

Overall, I find all the people getting their panties in a bunch over his predictions somewhat humorous. Cheer for your team, be proud of what they accomplish and who cares what someone else thinks. xpeacex

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Agreed, I did not start this thread, I am only responding to it. Perhaps it should have been listed in the smack forum. Perhaps the sportswriter in question, should title his column exactly that, "Smack"
Just as Griz fan said earlier, we are entitled to an opinion. I know I have wasted too much time on Coulson and his writing.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to an opinion, we all are, amirite? Can't wait for Saturday, isn't that what's most important on here? xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
December 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I don't know him so I don't know if he can take or not and I don't really care. I don't read his columns very often, based on the comments that others on AGS (those more knowledgeable about their teams) have made his research can be a little shoddy (players graduating or injured not accounted for, etc.) and if I can't trust the underlying research I tend to bypass the writer. I did like to read what Mr. C posted on AGS, I found his opinions thoughtful and informative.

I don't know if he "has it out" for the CAA or Montana but he does tend to pick against them quite frequently. I've haven't noticed the same for UNI but I haven't looked for it either.

You're right about the name calling - it should be on the smack board but I have to wonder how long the thread would last.

Overall, I find all the people getting their panties in a bunch over his predictions somewhat humorous. Cheer for your team, be proud of what they accomplish and who cares what someone else thinks. xpeacex

Word. xnodx

mountain_man
December 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hell, he'd pick WCU to win that game.

Not even The Cats is crazy enough to do that...

Dukie95
December 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Of course, anyone can pick Nova to win this weekend and it's not a bad pick.

I have no problem with any one of his JMU picks. It's just amusing that he has picked against JMU in every competitive (read: big) game this season: ASU, UMass, Nova, Richmond, Wofford. Taken individually, none of those were really terrible picks at the time, but together, they don't look so hot.

That would have given us a 6-5 record on the season.

I can understand ASU (defending champs) and UMass (at the time they were #3). I can even understand Nova and Richmond (road games). But, he never adjusted his opinion in the face of evidence that supports that JMU is actually a good team, and plays really well at home.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what any one person predicts, and his opinion is no more relevant than anyone else's...but over in JMU nation, we're rather fond of the picks against us now. :)

In the interest of full disclosure, he actually picked JMU to beat Duke.

Cleets
December 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM

I have no problem with any one of his JMU picks. It's just amusing that he has picked against JMU in every competitive (read: big) game this season: ASU, UMass, Nova, Richmond, Wofford. Taken individually, none of those were really terrible picks at the time, but together, they don't look so hot.

I can understand ASU (defending champs) and UMass (at the time they were #3). I can even understand Nova and Richmond (road games). But, he never adjusted his opinion in the face of evidence that supports that JMU is actually a good team, and plays really well at home.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what any one person predicts, and his opinion is no more relevant than anyone else's...but over in JMU nation, we're rather fond of the picks against us now. :)

Mr. C is an interesting dude and a fun guy to read...
I disagree with some of his picks - I don't understand some of his picks - and I think he goes on hunches or notions (a lot)

Frankly: I wouldn't want it any other way... If I wanted consensus picks I'd be an FBS fan
I read everything he writes regarding FCS and enjoy it every time

We're lucky to have him

xbowx

Silenoz
December 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM
As a griz fan, I don't find it too far of a stretch to see him picking against us. He was at the Weber game when the Griz lost~

griz8791
December 4th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm not one of his biggest fans but these are, after all, only predictions. It's not like he is actually decreeing the results of the games.

JMU DJ
December 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM

More fuel for the locker room bulletin board. Thanks Coulson!!! xlolx

uni88
December 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Mr. C is an interesting dude and a fun guy to read...
I disagree with some of his picks - I don't understand some of his picks - and I think he goes on hunches or notions (a lot)

Frankly: I wouldn't want it any other way... If I wanted consensus picks I'd be an FBS fan
I read everything he writes regarding FCS and enjoy it every time

We're lucky to have him

xbowx

Cleets, you only work 20 hours a week. You have a lot more time to read then your average Joe the Plumber does. :p

Honestly, if people really don't like Coulson they should stop reading his articles and stop posting about them. This only drives people to the site to read the article and that is exactly what his editors want. The editors would prefer that 40 people love the article, 40 people hate it and 20 are indifferent to 60 people liking it and 40 indifferent. The more eyeballs that look at that section of the website the more ads they can sell and the more that they can charge for them. It's about the Benjamins.

But be careful what you wish for though, it might not be what you want. You might not agree with Coulson but all the commotion that he causes is good for FCS. That commotion and the resulting eyeballs helps get the attention of the ESPN bigwigs. The more those bigwigs understand that there is a market that will watch FCS games the more they will show them.

MacThor
December 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
To be fair, the OP in this thread posted DC's picks and asked "what do you think?"

Well, a lot of us think he's biased. I see nothing wrong with posting that in response to the original question, on a discussion board.

MacThor
December 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM

I think he was 1-3. About right for Coulson.

ASUG8
December 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM

I think Coulson had a really bad week! A coin toss would have given him a better shot, although my hindsight is 20/20.

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 06:15 PM

He actually picked JMU against UR- was the only one he was right on in JMU's 7 biggest games: was wrong on Duke, UMass, ASU, Nova I and Nova II, and Wofford

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 06:15 PM

xconfusedx xconfusedx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
December 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM

He did pick JMU over UR: (scroll to bottom):
http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4184353
But still went against them in their other 5 top 10 matchups (UMass, ASU, Nova I & II, Wofford).