PDA

View Full Version : A letter from a Texas State Fan

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Here’s a recap of Saturday’s game from a Texas State fan.

Jim O'Day
Director of Athletics
The University of Montana
Phone: 406.243.5348

What a game day experience
It's early in Montana and I don't know why I'm up but I might as well post about the day yesterday.

I will gladly come back anytime. I've wanted to come watch a game in Missoula for years because of all I'd heard, it was beyond the hype.

Griz Nation is the real deal. Class does not even begin to describe these fans. And smart when it comes to cheering as well.

Was it loud? I was on the field and it was crazy loud, and they were missing 6 thousand people. I was impressed by the noise but more impressed by the fact that it did not matter who you were, young or old, man or woman, they screamed their lungs out. No darkside/light side situation here. It was almost like a game they played, how many false starts or timeouts can me make the opposing team take? Oh and you could hear a pin drop when they were on offense.

The second we got off the plane people were welcoming and thanking us for coming. Game day experience is tremendous. The athletic department puts a lot of stuff together and fully utilizes every resource they have to create a fun place to be. It's big time football here no doubt. If you came to WA-Griz with no affiliation either way experiencing a game here would make you want to be a fan.

The game was the game. You know what happened. Cold, wet and slushy rain. Fans still very nice when down 10-0 and worried about another first round loss. I wish I had a better word for Classy.

After the game walking out of the stadium Griz fans still continuing to thank us for making it to Missoula.

After we headed to the hotel to defrost our feet (I should have worn 3 pairs of socks) we headed to the bar area. First bar we walked into was Reds. Took all of 10 seconds for someone to grab us and pull us to the side and buy us a beer. This went on all night.

Griz fans were genuinely interested in hearing about our trip, our university and our experience being in Missoula. These are good people.

The second person to buy our group a pitcher was the owner of Big Sky Brewery, the makers of Moose Drool. Great guy and the different beers they brew are down right tasty. Moose Drool is one great tasting brew.
Told me I could buy it at Sams Clubs in Texas. I will be looking for it when I get home.

Ate a nice greasy double burger with Jack cheese at Mo Club and chatted it up with more Griz fans.

We lost and I had a great freaking night, and I take losing hard if I think we could have won, and I do.

Now that Dr. Teis has been to Montana and seen how much fun it is I hope he sets us up for 1-1 with them. Really I don't care if it's just 1 and none. I just want as many excuses as I can have for coming up here (during the regular season, playoffs games need to be at home in San Marcos).

This is a place every Bobcat fan needs to visit. I'm really glad I made the trip, worth the trouble and every penny.

Thanks Griz Nation, you are one of a kind.

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
It seems to be the same for each fan that comes to Missoula for a game.

UNCBears2010
December 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM

I hope to make it up there to see my Bears take a whoopin'.

(Yes, I have given up on UNC being anything more than the Big Sky's version of Duke.)

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM

We are consistent. I think this is from Bobcat Symphony as we had pm'd before they got here and had some beers at Red's and then I guided him toward the Mo Club. He had 3 buddies with him and they were all great dudes. Just had a good time and watched him smoothing a gal or two. he said the talent around Missoula could keep warm for quite a while.

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2008, 04:54 PM
We are consistent. I think this is from Bobcat Symphony as we had pm'd before they got here and had some beers at Red's and then I guided him toward the Mo Club. He had 3 buddies with him and they were all great dudes. Just had a good time and watched him smoothing a gal or two. he said the talent around Missoula could keep warm for quite a while.

Cleets could use some help in that department.

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM

(Yes, I have given up on UNC being anything more than the Big Sky's version of Duke.)

Do not be that guy! I know you are probably speaking a little tongue in cheek but be real. UNC had 4 or 5 wins this year that were taken in the last minute. You have a good football team and I look for them to be more than a middle of the road BSC team next year.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 04:58 PM

No you haven't your just a little stung yet from the season. You should go and check out some Weber State history and take a look at what they are doing right now. Their fans are euphoric as they should be. Your school has been champions in football before and had the wherewithal to hire Joe Glenn and that history is all still there waiting to rear it's head again. Count on it.

UNCBears2010
December 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Do not be that guy! I know you are probably speaking a little tongue in cheek but be real. UNC had 4 or 5 wins this year that were taken in the last minute. You have a good football team and I look for them to be more than a middle of the road BSC team next year.

You have no idea what 3-31 will do to a man. Ten years ago, we were in the midst of a 56-12 run over six seasons, and now we've been 9-47 in the last five years. It sucks the life out of you, it really does. I'll be shocked if we win more than 3 games next year.

Note: That prediction becomes void in the event of a coaching change.

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
You have no idea what 3-31 will do to a man. Ten years ago, we were in the midst of a 56-12 run over six seasons, and now we've been 9-47 in the last five years. It sucks the life out of you, it really does. I'll be shocked if we win more than 3 games next year.

Note: That prediction becomes void in the event of a coaching change.

Keep your head up, keep on showing up for home games and the road games that you are able to attend. Your team, and school need you.

UNCBears2010
December 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Keep your head up, keep on showing up for home games and the road games that you are able to attend. Your team, and school need you.

My head is up, this was exactly what I expected from the moment we announced the move to D1. On that day back in '01 or '02 I said it wasn't a good thing for football but could be huge for the basketball team, and I've been right so far.

Fair warning: Our men's hoops team is GOOD.

Sorry about the semi-hijacking the thread. If I can muster the cash, I'll see you guys in Missoula in November of '09.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM

That right there is some key advice. And he still has the helmet as his avatar so I'm sure the knows it but few people admire the fair weather guys. Guys like him you can respect for sticking with it.

UNCBears2010
December 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
That right there is some key advice. And he still has the helmet as his avatar so I'm sure the knows it but few people admire the fair weather guys. Guys like him you can respect for sticking with it.

And if we get a season with more than one win, I might even change it to the current design!

JMinU
December 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
You should change your avatar to the griz and just make the full conversion to love fest like terrier fan did

grizbeer
December 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
And if we get a season with more than one win, I might even change it to the current design!
I predict 5 wins next year. you get MSU at home, so there's a gimmme right off the bat xwhistlex . Let's look at the rest of your schedule:

U South Dakota
U San Diego
Montana State
Portland State
Weber State
Sacramento State

Road games
Kansas
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Idaho State
Montana

to be 5-6 you need to win your ooc at home, split conference at home (MSU and Sac), then 1 one the road (ISU). Sac is improved so they will tough, but you might catch NAU or EWU sleeping. I could even see a 6-5 if the stars fall right.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
You should change your avatar to the griz and just make the full conversion to love fest like terrier fan did

Sounds good alexale. We don't mind showing respect to others and it comes back around. As a young lady trying to find your way in the world this should be paramount to your development. Don't let jealousy consume you punkin.

cats2506
December 3rd, 2008, 05:26 PM

It's always fun to read another thread full of griz fans patting themselves on the back. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
It's always fun to read another thread full of griz fans patting themselves on the back. xlolx

Sounds good griz3503. We don't mind showing respect to others and it comes back around. As a young lady trying to find your way in the world this should be paramount to your development. Don't let jealousy consume you punkin.

MTGrizzFan
December 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM

Jealous hu?

uofmman1122
December 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
It's always fun to read another thread full of griz fans patting themselves on the back. xlolxAccompanied by the melody of incessant whining of Bobcat fans, we might have a symphony on our hands. xlolx

Cleets
December 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Cleets could use some help in that department.

Yeah... I know I know
(However, you should see the girl I'm dating right now...YIKES..!!!)

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah... I know I know

Is that a YIKES she is hot or a YIKES she will hurt you if you break up with her or a YIKES she is scary looking?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah... I know I know

I posted a pic of her on another thread. You are a man after my own heart Cleets.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Is that a YIKES she is hot or a YIKES she will hurt you if you break up with her or a YIKES she is scary looking?

He said he's DATING her. Clear indication of hotness.

Grizzaholic
December 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I posted a pic of her on another thread. You are a man after my own heart Cleets.

Help me out Ursus. Show me the way..

BobcatSymphony
December 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Not from me, but Rick, who owns and operates Bobcatfans.com

I think there were a few factors for him being up so early Sunday to write the letter, both dealing and not dealing with the outcome of our game.

Still, I second everything he wrote. Montanans are straight up CLASS! I LOVED my visit to Missoula and didn't want to leave Sunday morning.

PS: Ursus, I'm having a half dozen sixers of Drool mailed down here.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Help me out Ursus. Show me the way..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1241840&postcount=141

gbhmt
December 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM

I think there were a few factors for him being up so early Sunday to write the letter, both dealing and not dealing with the outcome of our game.

Still, I second everything he wrote. Montanans are straight up CLASS! I LOVED my visit to Missoula and didn't want to leave Sunday morning.

Football's not all we do right here in Missoulaxthumbsupx

BobcatSymphony
December 3rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Football's not all we do right here in Missoulaxthumbsupx

You're danged right about that! I had the IPA, Slayer, and Drool (my fave of the three, but TS was good too) while hopping around the bars.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 3rd, 2008, 07:14 PM

I like the way you roll Jose.

MTGrizzFan
December 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
You're danged right about that! I had the IPA, Slayer, and Drool (my fave of the three, but TS was good too) while hopping around the bars.

It's hard to beat a cold glass of Trout Slayer.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 3rd, 2008, 07:34 PM

You should have had some Dirty Bong Water. That stuff is damn good as well. I Moose Drool is still my favorite though too.

Missoula is a fun place to visit in the fall... truly God's country. Couple that with a great tailgating/football experience (and in 2005 a win for your team within the confines of WA-Griz, and it makes for a memorable trip! xthumbsupx

BobcatSymphony
December 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
You should have had some Dirty Bong Water. That stuff is damn good as well. I Moose Drool is still my favorite though too.

Missoula is a fun place to visit in the fall... truly God's country. Couple that with a great tailgating/football experience (and in 2005 a win for your team within the confines of WA-Griz, and it makes for a memorable trip! xthumbsupx

I do wonder how we would have fared against the Griz in Montana. I know we beat CP in the second round, but I don't look at all games being equal. I like the way matchups happen every game rather than looking at "well this team beat them by X points while that team beat them by Z points."

BobcatSymphony
December 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I like the way you roll Jose.

Heh, it's easy being a good guy when people welcome you! xbowx

Had good conversations with several Griz fans, especially concerning our level of football, and what's wrong with the BCS garbage.

SeattleGriz
December 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah... I know I know

Sorry my friend, YIKES is a SeattleGriz trademark.

fencer24
December 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM

Memorable for some, some would just as soon forget.

McNeese75
December 3rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
I do wonder how we would have fared against the Griz in Montana. I know we beat CP in the second round, but I don't look at all games being equal. I like the way matchups happen every game rather than looking at "well this team beat them by X points while that team beat them by Z points."

xrolleyesx Interesting observation based on absolutly nothing or I guess 2007 right?

BobcatSymphony
December 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
xrolleyesx Interesting observation based on absolutly nothing or I guess 2007 right?

He was talking about 2005... I was just contemplating whether Nealy and the 'Cats would have won in Montana that playoff season.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Memorable for some, some would just as soon forget.

As much as it sucks to lose at home (saw happen way too much this year in Cheney), you got to admit that hearing WA-Griz, completely packed (think that game set a new attendance record at the time... I might be wrong though), go completely quiet as Walter Payton winner Erik Meyer tears the Griz apart... is pretty impressive. Griz fans are LOUD. It was crazy to hear that stadium so quiet.

I'm glad at least that I could witness such an event. :D