PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Please, Mr. Brand, Don't Change the FBS

CSN-info
December 3rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-please-mr-brand-don-t-change&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPG

By Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist

To: Myles Brand, NCAA President
Subject: Playoffs Division I College Football

Mr. Brand,

You don’t know me, but my name is Chuck Burton from the College Sporting News, and I cover Division I Football Championship Subdivision, or FCS for short. I follow teams that pursue cost-containment football that crown their national champion through a sixteen-team playoff system - the highest level of football national champion that your organization, Mr. Brand, recognizes as an official NCAA championship.

Once again, many folks in the media are asking for you to implement a similar system in Football Bowl Subdivision, or FBS for short. But as a fan of FCS football, I implore you: you cannot let this happen. As a fan of FCS football, I can say without reservation that the status quo is exactly what we want.

xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
December 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Great article. That was very fun to read.

R3TRO
December 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Wow, great article! Puts things into better perspective. A+

Benne
December 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Definately worth a chuckle

smallcollegefbfan
December 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
I personally do want the FBS to have playoffs so we can have a true national champion at ALL levels of college football. Good read but I do have to say that we need a playoff in FBS because until then their champion is just a computer generated one and we all know that is not how it should be :)

henfan
December 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Flawed premise. Miles Brand has very little control over the manner in which the BCS conducts its post-season.

Chuck, are you somehow expecting the BCS, the conferences and sponsors who support it to relinquish control of their post-season to the NCAA? That isn't going to happen, playoff or not.

Proud Griz Man
December 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
You also have Weber State - who beat Montana for the first time in more than a decade during the regular season at home - facing off against the Grizzlies in Montana for the rematch. Think Grizzly fans are pumped up for that?

Think Miles Brand cares what Grizzly fans want? xsmhx
He will take care of the big money schools. xeekx
I would guess that the University of Florida's strength training expenditure dwarfs the entire football budget of some FCS teams.

jmufan999
December 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
this is a terrible, terrible, terrible article.

as of now, NO ONE CARES about our playoffs BESIDES us. we can pretend like they do.... THEY DON'T. we're the hardcore fans that love it. if FBS went to the same system, would we get any more or less media coverage? NO. so WHY ON EARTH would an FBS playoff mean ANYTHING to FCS? it wouldn't. Chuck thinks everyone look at our system like the "right" system... yeah, they say that, then they chuckle because it's still seen as Division II by a lot of people (NOT ALL, many). an FBS playoff might even right the TERRIBLE wrongs of our CURRENT FCS system! like the fact that they don't seed teams 1-16. by the way, this is a GENERAL comment, it has nothing to do with who JMU is playing in any year. Weber St/Cal Poly should have never happened, for instance. this article is absolutely atrocious in my opinion.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Flawed premise. Miles Brand has very little control over the manner in which the BCS conducts its post-season.

Chuck, are you somehow expecting the BCS, the conferences and sponsors who support it to relinquish control of their post-season to the NCAA? That isn't going to happen, playoff or not.

You're saying that the president of the NCAA has no say? He absolutely does. He could say, "Conferences, sponsors - you can hold your little crystal ball championship - but we're going to hold the real one in this way. And if you don't like it, NAIA is right over there."

I don't know if he will (or, if indeed, it would be good for FCS football if he did). But he certainly could.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Methinks there was a bit of the ol' tongue in cheek in the above scriblings.

james_lawfirm
December 4th, 2008, 10:01 AM
this is a terrible, terrible, terrible article.

as of now, NO ONE CARES about our playoffs BESIDES us. we can pretend like they do.... THEY DON'T. we're the hardcore fans that love it. if FBS went to the same system, would we get any more or less media coverage? NO. so WHY ON EARTH would an FBS playoff mean ANYTHING to FCS? it wouldn't. Chuck thinks everyone look at our system like the "right" system... yeah, they say that, then they chuckle because it's still seen as Division II by a lot of people (NOT ALL, many). an FBS playoff might even right the TERRIBLE wrongs of our CURRENT FCS system! like the fact that they don't seed teams 1-16. by the way, this is a GENERAL comment, it has nothing to do with who JMU is playing in any year. Weber St/Cal Poly should have never happened, for instance. this article is absolutely atrocious in my opinion.

Terrble, terble, terbl! You fellers must not study sarcasm or nuthin' up there at JayMoo.