PDA

View Full Version : Grid Iron Classic Game Notes

Ruler
December 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM
http://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/8374.pdf

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
I like the story and quotes about Tom Coughlin addressing the Albany team. No question he is a tough taskmaster, but he also seems like a good man. He certainly has helped the Giants hold things together this year.

WWII
December 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Who's going to be at the Varsity Club pre-game party in the PE gym, besides me?

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Wow, I'm not sensing much excitement or anticipation building for this game.... Maybe because Jacksonville is the PFL representative? Granted, all most here know about Jacksonville is that they got killed by App State early in the season....

Kerwin Bell is following the Jim Harbaugh model to a tee. Look for JU to become the next USD. The big question will be how long can JU hang on to Mr. Bell.

JU and Mr. Bell are raising money to build a real stadium at Jacksonville. Things are starting to roll in Northern Florida for this program. Do not be surprised when JU keeps the Gridiron Classic trophy firmly in the grasp of the PFL!

danefan
December 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I have to be honest, this game feels like the consolation game that it really is.

The lack of hype by UAlbany and/or Jacksonville and the NEC and PFL pretty much sums it up for me.

I do expect a good game though, close in the first half with the Danes steamrolling over a frozen group of Florida boys in the second half.

I sure hope Jacksonville invested in some underarmor, hand warmers and sidleine parkas.

UAalum72
December 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Wow, I'm not sensing much excitement or anticipation building for this game.... Maybe because Jacksonville is the PFL representative?
Really, do you think anyone would care more if it were Valpo, Dayton or Butler?

aceinthehole
December 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I have to be honest, this game feels like the consolation game that it really is.

The lack of hype by UAlbany and/or Jacksonville and the NEC and PFL pretty much sums it up for me.

I do expect a good game though, close in the first half with the Danes steamrolling over a frozen group of Florida boys in the second half.

I can't wait for our AQ in 2010, but you can't blame the NEC for the lack of "hype."

It may be a "consolidation" game, but at least the NEC champ has some post-season opportunity! Also, when the NEC has hosted the GIC, they have got TV coverage!

Bottom line, its not ideal, but the NEC has done so much to improve this conference! Next year is the final year of this deal, so lets even up this GIC battle before it ends.

danefan
December 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I can't wait for our AQ in 2010, but you can't blame the NEC for the lack of "hype."

It may be a "consolidation" game, but at least the NEC champ has some post-season opportunity! Also, when the NEC has hosted the GIC, they have got TV coverage!

Bottom line, its not ideal, but the NEC has done so much to improve this conference! Next year is the final year of this deal, so lets even up this GIC battle before it ends.

I'm not blaming the NEC. I agree with the way they are treating the game. It gives the seniors another game and that's great.xthumbsupx

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Really, do you think anyone would care more if it were Valpo, Dayton or Butler?

I would care a bit more if it were Dayton....xlolx

UNH 1999
December 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
As a North Florida resident the JU football program is coming along nicely. I think with a nice little stadium things could really take off. The area loves football and if the product continues to improve they'll get some great support. I hope the 'Fins win!

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I do think the weather thing is real.... But I will say this, it did not change the outcome of the USD at Monmouth game a couple of years ago.... I seem to recall alot of the weather comments back then as well. Both teams bring good running games to the table. JU probably has the more dynamic, but still largely untested QB. If it is just cold, I think JU will be OK. Cold and wind will challenge them more. Any precipitation might be very bad for JU.

It is really too bad that this is not a "real" bowl game with some meaning. It would be great if this game were played at some warm weather site, and fans from both leagues would travel to see the game.... Yep, I'm dreaming....

Now, if this game had the Ivy League Champion playing the PFL champion....

Back to the game. Any predictions?

I'm thinking.... JU 35 Albany 28

401ks
December 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I'll copy my post from the PFL board here:

Albany 28, Jacksonville 21

Just like my pick of Dayton over Butler in a close game, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about this.

I'm making the trip to my brother-in-law's house to watch the game. (He has Direct TV's "Premier Package" that allows him to watch all of the regional sports channels.)

Go Fins!

Anyone who makes the mistake of looking at Jacksonville's early season stumbles and translates that information to this game will be quite surprised. This Jacksonville team made HUGE strides during the season, and the end-of-the-season Dolphins look nothing like the team that lost to Davidson and Pembroke (much less Appalachian State) early in the season.

Is Albany ready for the speed? Will the Dolphins turn into popsicles? We shall see.

danefan
December 5th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'll copy my post from the PFL board here:

Albany 28, Jacksonville 21

Just like my pick of Dayton over Butler in a close game, nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about this.

I'm making the trip to my brother-in-law's house to watch the game. (He has Direct TV's "Premier Package" that allows him to watch all of the regional sports channels.)

Go Fins!

Anyone who makes the mistake of looking at Jacksonville's early season stumbles and translates that information to this game will be quite surprised. This Jacksonville team made HUGE strides during the season, and the end-of-the-season Dolphins look nothing like the team that lost to Davidson and Pembroke (much less Appalachian State) early in the season.

Is Albany ready for the speed? Will the Dolphins turn into popsicles? We shall see.

Albany's OOC opponents were pretty speedy folks.....

I think Jacksonville won the PFL by default after San Diego had an outbreak of broken leg syndrome.

Albany is battle tested against the best competition FCS has to offer - the CAA. This game is no different than an NEC league game and we all know how those worked out for Albany.

And there is no comparison of Jacksonville to the 2006 San Diego team or last year's Dayton team. Monmouth was beat by Johnson in 2006. Albany was beat by Hyong last year. Jacksonville has no one near the caliber of those two players.

Thier QB may be there in 2 or 3 years, but not yet.

And I'm coming out strong with my prediction and will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

Halftime score - Albany 14, Jacksonville 10
Final score - Albany at least 35, Jacksonville 17

xpeacex

danefan
December 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Some quick updates - it looks like the broadcast is going to be very professionally done and is going to support juvenile diabetes.

Ed Delaney usually is identified as the younger brother of actress Kim Delaney. More recently has has been labeled the father of Eddie Delaney, born without a left hand but a contributor as a defensive end on the University at Albany football team.

What the elder Delaney should be known for are his tireless efforts not only to get UAlbany's Gridiron Classic football game against Jacksonville on Saturday televised, but his ability to turn the telecast into a fundraiser for juvenile diabetes, which afflicts his son.

Delaney, 47, vice president of operations for the YES Network, got the air time and production costs donated for the telecast from University Field. Commercial time will be given to corporate partners helping with the venture — which includes an elaborate postgame dinner for players of both teams and patrons — along with public service announcements on juvenile diabetes.

"I picked the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for obvious reasons, my son being a diabetic," Delaney said, "and I just went to friends and said, 'I'm trying to put together this event for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, can you donate your services?' "

YES is givng the game free air time. Metrovision donated the satellite truck and uplink, SES Americom the satellite time and Game Creek Video a super slo-mo camera. Several participants, including UAlbany coach Bob Ford and defensive tackle Tom Pandolf, will wear microphones.

"We're covering this game like it's a pro game." Delaney said.
It's a pretty remarkable venture for something Delaney has had barely a week to assemble.

"The first offer letter went out on Thanksgiving morning," Delaney said. "It literally was an informal e-mail to my friends in the industry, done on a Blackberry from a Starbuck's on Thanksgiving morning. That's how it got started. We don't have a lot of time, so we're just doing the best we can. The bottom line is we will raise money. I don't know how much."

Delaney's son is a redshirt freshman who had been starting since Oct. 11 after Tony Sparano — son of the Miami Dolphins' head coach — broke his arm against Duquesne. Sparano returns to the starting lineup against Jacksonville.

That won't matter to the elder Delaney, who will be in his accustomed spot Saturday.

"I won't even be thinking about television, I can assure you," Delaney said. "I haven't missed a game all year. They've been traveling all over — Delaware, two times to Pittsburgh. I'm pretty intense. I feel like I'm playing in the game. That's how much I enjoy it."
Thanks to Delaney's efforts, a lot more people will be able to enjoy the game Saturday.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=SPORTS

You'll also be able to get a live webcast at www.packnetwork.com

danefan
December 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
UAlbany seniors face last hurrah

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=747070&category=SPORTS

downbythebeach
December 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
JU shouldnt have won the PFL
they certainly had luck on their side
I got Albany by 21

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2008, 02:14 PM
JU shouldnt have won the PFL
they certainly had luck on their side
I got Albany by 21

NICE AVATAR! I liked the old one, but this one is pure class!

danefan
December 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Northeast Conference.org Preview:

http://northeastconference.org/News/fball/....asp?path=fball (http://northeastconference.org/News/fball/2008/12/3/FB-GCPreviewRelease-08.asp?path=fball)

Includes Paul Datino (sp?) podcast preview. Its pretty good actually.

danefan
December 6th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Gridiron Classic Pre-game stories

Danes Plan Chilling Attack (Albany Times Union)
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=747453&category=SPORTS

Danes hope to deep freeze Jacksonville (Troy Record)
http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2008/12/06/sports/doc493a1615a281c200804908.txt

Ground games on firm footing (Jacksonville Times Union)
http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville_dolphins/2008-12-06/ground_games_on_firm_footing

Not pre-game but a season review of sorts:

Level playing field? Imagine what UAlbany coach Bob Ford could do with a full complement of scholarships
http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2008/12/06/sports/doc493a1af88e8ad026578429.txt

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Wow, I'm not sensing much excitement or anticipation building for this game.... Maybe because Jacksonville is the PFL representative? Granted, all most here know about Jacksonville is that they got killed by App State early in the season....

Maybe because it's the Gridiron Classic?

JMG1MON
December 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
San Diego didn't have to concern itself about the weather. It was unseasonably warm that day. We got beat by Johnson that day and San Diego deserved to win. We were horrible but I would have rathered it been 30 instead of the 55 or so that it was!!!