View Full Version : S.C. State team, fans make their mark in 2008

bosshogg
December 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
S.C. State team, fans make their mark in 2008
Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Leave a Comment | Default | Large

ISSUE: S.C. State in football playoffs

OUR VIEW: Team and fans leave positive impression

The Buddy Pough television show on Sunday morning included extensive highlights of South Carolina State University's Saturday playoff football game against Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C. Seeing is believing: S.C. State had a real chance to win a game against the three-time defending Football Championship Subdivision champions on their home field. It was a game in which most prognosticators gave the Bulldogs little chance.

Visible also on the game highlights were an enthusiastic crowd of S.C. State supporters who made the long trip to watch their team. While Pough was saying his team proved it "belongs" with championship-caliber competition and was being reinforced in that belief via the words of T&D Senior Sports Writer Thomas Grant from the scene, the S.C. State fans also made a point.........

http://thetandd.com/articles/2008/12/02/opinion/13360514.txt

AshevilleApp2
December 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM

The Buddy Pough television show on Sunday morning included extensive highlights of South Carolina State University's Saturday playoff football game against Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C. Seeing is believing: S.C. State had a real chance to win a game against the three-time defending Football Championship Subdivision champions on their home field. It was a game in which most prognosticators gave the Bulldogs little chance.

Visible also on the game highlights were an enthusiastic crowd of S.C. State supporters who made the long trip to watch their team. While Pough was saying his team proved it "belongs" with championship-caliber competition and was being reinforced in that belief via the words of T&D Senior Sports Writer Thomas Grant from the scene, the S.C. State fans also made a point.........

No question about it. Great team and great fans.

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM

I can see a lot of APP football in the SCSU team. You guys just started making your mark. I believe your team is about to make that mark BIGGER every year from now, if they can keep focused on the positive.

Good Luck to SCSU in 2009, ya'll have thousands of new fans in BOONE.

bosshogg
December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
believe me...if we can do half of what App has done, we will be doing well.....

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM

win 1.5 NC's?

just kidding wish best of luck to you guys

bosshogg
December 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
win 1.5 NC's?

just kidding wish best of luck to you guys

Dude...I would be happy with .5 of a national championship!

xrotatehx

AshevilleApp2
December 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM

From the post game press conference, I got the impression that SCSU is a very young team right now. That's scary for the rest of us for the next couple of years. xnodx

bosshogg
December 2nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
From the post game press conference, I got the impression that SCSU is a very young team right now. That's scary for the rest of us for the next couple of years. xnodx

QB is a sophmore
both RB's are juniors
most linemen are underclassmen

Coach Pough has done a great job recruiting. since he has been there, every team has been more talented than the last.

DX Man
December 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
The SCSU fans not only show great support for their team, they are very knowledgeable of the game of football.xreadx

They Definitely win "The Best Visiting Fans Award" at THE ROCK!xbowx

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
QB is a sophmore
both RB's are juniors
most linemen are underclassmen

Coach Pough has done a great job recruiting. since he has been there, every team has been more talented than the last.

Your QB is massive, Long looks like Byron Leftwich out there. xthumbsupx

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
A good showing by a good team-they did a very impressive job of containing AE on the run and picked off two of his passes, both of which are testaments to your defense.

I was particularly impressesed with your punter (who boomed a couple of really big spirals). I noticed he didn't make either 1st or 2nd team all conference-was he having a really good day on Saturday or are there really two punters who are consistently better than him in the MEAC?

bosshogg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
A good showing by a good team-they did a very impressive job of containing AE on the run and picked off two of his passes, both of which are testaments to your defense.

I was particularly impressesed with your punter (who boomed a couple of really big spirals). I noticed he didn't make either 1st or 2nd team all conference-was he having a really good day on Saturday or are there really two punters who are consistently better than him in the MEAC?

our punter is more impressive than you realize...he'll be in med school next year...

I think he didnt get an award cause we didnt punt that often during the season...

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Visible also on the game highlights were an enthusiastic crowd of S.C. State supporters who made the long trip to watch their team.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

From Google Maps:

Driving directions to Boone, N Carolina
229 mi – about 3 hours 59 mins

What a sacrifice!!! xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
December 2nd, 2008, 12:31 PM

From Google Maps:

Driving directions to Boone, N Carolina
229 mi – about 3 hours 59 mins

What a sacrifice!!! xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Western bias.

jmufan999
December 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
appy did not choke in this game, SCSU came to PLAY. i've only watched the game once, i usually like to watch it a few times... but this much i know... they are a talented team. this was not a fluke.

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Western bias.

Just trying to keep things in perspective here. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Before Missoula got a mall, Missoulians used to drive 225 miles, over TWO mountain passes, to get to the thriving metropolis of Spokane to do their Christmas shopping... xcoffeex

Banks!!!
December 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Your QB is massive, Long looks like Byron Leftwich out there. xthumbsupx

I remarked several times about how big Long is. 6-3, 257 lbs...that's a massive QB. And...Will Ford is scary good. How did our recruiters not get down to Traveler's Rest, SC?

xoopsx

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
I remarked several times about how big Long is. 6-3, 257 lbs...that's a massive QB. And...Will Ford is scary good. How did our recruiters not get down to Traveler's Rest, SC?

xoopsx

Because it's so FAR away.... xlolx xlolx xlolx

JazzyBulldog05
December 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Because it's so FAR away.... xlolx xlolx xlolx

xlolx xlolx

GOODY26
December 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
xthumbsupx Good job Bulldogs. you play hard, I wish the outcome coulda been better.xthumbsupx

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/8/29/rp_primary_TerrellWhitehead_07_Ham1.JPG

AZGrizFan
December 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
xlolx xlolx

Sorry man....it was just sittin' there, waitin' to be said. xlolx

Congrats to SCSU....they put a scare into ASU, and that ain't easy to do! xnodx xnodx xnodx

WVAPPmountaineer
December 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
SCSU was a solid team - exactly right, it was no fluke - If they had played the season in the SoCon they would have had a very good year - probably play-off bound as well ----

soweagle
December 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Wish we could steal you guys from the MEAC and join the SoCon.

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

Before Missoula got a mall, Missoulians used to drive 225 miles, over TWO mountain passes, to get to the thriving metropolis of Spokane to do their Christmas shopping... xcoffeex

There wasn't one in Coure D'Alene?xlolx

proasu89
December 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM
xoopsx

Or that other FCS school in TR.

AshevilleApp2
December 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM

I almost added that out west they travel that far to get a gallon of milk. xlolx

MorgantonAPPAlum
December 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I almost added that out west they travel that far to get a gallon of milk. xlolx

Nonsense-out west they just milk a passing Moose or Grizzley. However, they would gladly crawl that far over broken glass for a beer.:p

Edit-love your sig BTW. I don't remember where I first saw that in reference to NC, but it perfectly describes our northern and southern (southeastern anyway) neighbors.

Pitbull
December 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
xlolx :)

phillyAPP
December 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM

I second that vote !!

gbhmt
December 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM

Oh come on everybody knows that everyone in Montana owns their own cow. With the prices of milk through the roof these days, it's the only way to go!xthumbsupx