PDA

View Full Version : Jax State vs Eastern Illinois OVC Crown Thread

Gamecocks99
November 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Let's get things started off with a few predictions. Anyone like to join in ?

I think it will be a close game but JSU will WIN with the home field advantage. Three Peat OVC Crown is on the line for JSU.

JSU 31 EIU 24

JSU Fan
November 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Gamecocks play their best game of 2005.

JSU 31, EIU 14.

And if Tennessee State will do the same we may avoid the nasty "OVC Lottery" for the autobid.

Out.

Nike
November 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I'll give it a shot

Big Game, Big time coach=Big win

Jax State 38 EIU 31

JSU02
November 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Big Game, Big time coach=Big win

LOL! Are you talking about Jack Crowe? Thats really funny.

November 15th, 2005, 10:17 PM
The OVC won't be decided by this game if JSU wins, only if EIU wins. Eastern Kentucky will be tied with those two if Jax wins... blind draw time, now being talked about on I-AA WAVES

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72957

JaxSinfonian
November 15th, 2005, 10:26 PM
LOL ... anyone in Alabama have any leftover signs from the 1998 referendum? "NO LOTTERY!" Seems like we could recycle them this week. of course, if it had passed, there'd be a lot of kids at JSU on lottery-funded scholarships right now ... but that argument is for another forum. :D

Anyway, I don't know all the stats too deeply, but JSU appears to have the edge on Internet-connected fans.

Though they're at eighth, just above last-place JSU in passing offense and passing defense, EIU appears to have a pretty balanced attack. They turned mostly to the pass last week against Tennesee Tech. That could spell trouble for Jax State. EIU also is leading the OVC in rushing defense, though we're leading in rushing offense and they haven't met Mr. Green yet. I still don't think JSU has played up to its potential on offense this year. Scoring offense & defense numbers would appear to predict a pretty tight game. Of course, numbers don't necessarily mean anything after kickoff.

I think EIU will be among JSU's toughest tests this year. The Gamecocks have proved they can hang with some of the best in the country, now it's time to prove they can win the big games this year instead of just playing 'em close.

In the end, I think JSU's ground game finally catches fire and runs the Panthers into the ground.

Jax State - 38
EIU - 21

JaxSinfonian
November 15th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Ralph, you're assuming EKU will win. The smart money may be on the Colonels, but as we all know, on any given Saturday ...

Chucktown
November 15th, 2005, 10:34 PM
JSU has the edge on all the internet connected fans for one reason, the ones with posts are Jax state fans. And I believe that is their most important stat- The 2 teams balance pretty evenly, except the panthers have the top scoring offense, top rushing defense, and not to mention the National leader in turnover margin-

JaxStateManager
November 15th, 2005, 11:42 PM
EIU may lead the league in rushing defense, but they haven't gone up against anything like the Green and Zeine show. If they key on Green, like Samford did last week, we'll just turn to Zeine again. As for the EIU passing game, lets just hope the Killer B's are swarming in the JSU defensive backfield again, like against UT-Martin. In the end, it'll make for one hell of a game. My pick.....JSU 23, EIU 17.

FL connection
November 16th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Probably no reason for the Panthers to even show up...........connection out!!

Nike
November 16th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Probably no reason for the Panthers to even show up...........connection out!!
You do need to show up, there will be a drawing after the game :)

Golden Eagle
November 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I'll go with EIU, because it's about time somebody other than the Gamecocks got a shot at the playoffs.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 10:10 AM
The OVC won't be decided by this game if JSU wins, only if EIU wins. Eastern Kentucky will be tied with those two if Jax wins... blind draw time
So what's the scoop? When, where, who....???

JSU Fan
November 16th, 2005, 10:53 AM
If necessary (JSU beats EIU and EKU beats Tennessee State), the blind draw will be held 15 minutes after the conclusion of the EKU / TSU game that will kickoff an hour and a half after the JSU / EIU game starts.

The blind draw will be held at the JSU athletic offices and will be conducted by the OVC commissioner.

The draw can be avoided by either of these two scenarios:

If EIU beats JSU, the Panthers win the league title and the autobid.

If JSU beats EIU and TSU beats EKU, the Gamecocks win the league title and the autobid.

So the JSU faithful will not only be pulling for their team Saturday, but also for the TSU Tigers.

Out.

JaxSinfonian
November 16th, 2005, 12:51 PM
In Matt Dougherty's column, he predicts a JSU win over EIU, but EIU is his pick to represent the OVC in the playoffs, guessing they'll travel to Appalachian State. I guess he likes the Panthers' chances at drawing straws. (He also predicts an easy EKU victory over Tenn. State, of course.)

COLONELSINCE78
November 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I would happily take a EIU forfeit. Just send down an Asst. AD or something for the drawing. Actually the OVC release said a school official could simply join via conference call...

I swear to god it actually said that

SU Jag
November 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I like JSU in this one! Clay Green is very talented running back, and JSU's defense is pretty darn good.

FL connection
November 16th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Sorry to detract from all the experts......but, I like our chances (and I'm not talking about the coin toss)....connection out!

Golden Eagle
November 17th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I think EIU has the talent to pull it out. The coin toss, too.

COLONELSINCE78
November 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
As much as it pains me...I think EIU will win also

November 17th, 2005, 01:56 PM
So what's the scoop? When, where, who....???The draw would take place approximately 15 minutes after the conclusion of the Eastern Kentucky-Tennessee State contest, which is scheduled to kick off at 2:30 p.m. The location of the event would be the athletics offices on the campus of Jacksonville State University. Representatives from the Ohio Valley Conference, Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State would either attend the draw in person or join in via a conference call. Members of the media are invited to attend the draw.

Team names in envelopes, envelope drawn from the box.

FL connection
November 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Ralph....I'm hoping all that information is moot.....if the Panthers take care of business. connection out!

dbackjon
November 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Going to have to go with my brother's Alma Mater, and say that EIU will win this game, 27-14.

Gamecocks99
November 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Wow ! You can tell that we are getting closer to game day because there is a big buzz about Campus and the town about the game. I'm loving it. Home field advantage will truly help our Gamecocks.

Three Peat OVC Champions is also a Huge Motivator for our Gamecocks !

Is it Saturday yet?

Go Gamecocks Go !! !!

Chucktown
November 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Lets hope you gamecocks fans are as excited as you sound about this game, because the panthers will be in town tommorow-- This one should go down in the record books with a big panther win on Jacks home turf. No envelope drawing is going to be needed... These boys wont lose 3 yrs in a row...

Gamecocks99
November 17th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Lets hope you gamecocks fans are as excited as you sound about this game, because the panthers will be in town tommorow-- This one should go down in the record books with a big panther win on Jacks home turf. No envelope drawing is going to be needed... These boys wont lose 3 yrs in a row...

Talk is cheap !! And, It take Money to by the Whiskey

And also, Remember Furman didn't think Jax State had a strong enough team to beat them either. Furman got a lucky break by the ref putting one second back on the clock and Furman won on a busted last play of the game as the horn sounded. Furman fans will tell you the where glad to get out of Jacksonville with a win.

These Gamecocks believe in themselves & their not going to give you the game just because you have lost the last 2 years.

Take the time and go back and read the JSU vs Furman Thread if you think the Gamecocks are not for real this year. There is some streaming video of the 4th Qtr as-well. Just like your team the Gamecocks have grown and have gotten much better through out the year.

It will be a great game !! Hope to see you at Paul Snow ! Have a safe trip !

Game on at our House !!

Go Gamecocks Go !!!

Gamecocks99
November 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Ralph

Give us your football insight & pick for this Game. Matt from the Sports Network picks Jax State. Please give your thoughts

Go Gamecocks Go

tsutiger
November 19th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I've only seen each team play one game each. From what I saw, I'd give a slight advantage to JSU because of playing at home. EIU didn't look to good against us until they broke our QB in four pieces. He was on the 20. His mouth piece was on the 15. His helmet was on the 25, and his eat pad was on the 10. One of the best his I've seen all season.

JSU Fan
November 19th, 2005, 09:30 PM
FL connection,

Good luck to your team next week in the playoffs.

Out.

Cocky
November 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
EIU should get a home game with only 1 I-AA loss. OVC hasn't had a home game in several years, too.

PantherMan
November 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM
EIU should get a home game with only 1 I-AA loss. OVC hasn't had a home game in several years, too.

I have a feeling that EIU will be hearing "A ferocious predator has been seen stalking the nation...HEEEEEERE come the PANTHERSSSS!" Of course these Panthers play in a Dome. In other words, a battle for the Panthers to be held in the Dome next week seems very likely at this point. :beerchug: And in this potential matchup, the OVC would learn why it is the Gateway's little brother in the midwest.

FL connection
November 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks JSU fan......great football game with two good teams!! JSU is a great venue for college football. EIU fortunate in a very conservative game......looking forward to another road trip over Thanksgiving. connection out!!

FL connection
November 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM
The dome would be a great Thanksgiving weekend trip for me.....close to HOME. connection out!!

PantherMan
November 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM
The dome would be a great Thanksgiving weekend trip for me.....close to HOME. connection out!!

AND 72 degrees! :cool: