PDA

View Full Version : Matchups

appstate38
December 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
In an effort to have something to talk about before the quarterfinal games this weekend. What are some of the matchups we should be looking for in the 4 games.

After reading some of the posts from the UR fans it appears the matchup to watch will be the UR d-line and the Apps o-line. The other one that interests me is the ASU WR/TE vs the DB's of UR.

Griz/Weber- Matchup from an East Coast Bias seems to be whose D can stop the potent offenses both teams possess. Plus the added bonus of Wa/Griz stadium

JMU/Nova- Landers and the Nova D; plus the added bonus of special teams containing Scottie McGee

UNH/UNI- Must admit don't know too much about this one. But seeing UNI place a fair number of people on the defensive 1st team tells me UNH will have to protect the QB well and run the ball effectively.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
UNH/UNI- Must admit don't know too much about this one. But seeing UNI place a fair number of people on the defensive 1st team tells me UNH will have to protect the QB well and run the ball effectively.

They got good pressure on BYU's QB which was rare until they played TCU and Utah.

gbhmt
December 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
In an effort to have something to talk about before the quarterfinal games this weekend. What are some of the matchups we should be looking for in the 4 games.

After reading some of the posts from the UR fans it appears the matchup to watch will be the UR d-line and the Apps o-line. The other one that interests me is the ASU WR/TE vs the DB's of UR.

Griz/Weber- Matchup from an East Coast Bias seems to be whose D can stop the potent offenses both teams possess. Plus the added bonus of Wa/Griz stadium

JMU/Nova- Landers and the Nova D; plus the added bonus of special teams containing Scottie McGee

The Griz/Weber matchup is more between UM's D and Weber's O.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
For JMU/'Nova, I would add 'Nova's offense against the JMU LBs. They brutalized those guys last game.

appstate38
December 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Looking back at the stats from the first JMU/Nova game things seemed fairly even with JMU having a large advantage in the passing game.

I say special teams could decide this one.

ChickenMan
December 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
I expect that the JMU/Nova could be decided by turnovers.. JMU gets an edge for the home field.. but the teams are evenly matched.

Chi Panther
December 1st, 2008, 01:16 PM
They got good pressure on BYU's QB which was rare until they played TCU and Utah.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1364373.jpeg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/1081742.jpeg

Whoever is assigned to this guy will have their hands full.....

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ruffin_james00.html

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 1st, 2008, 01:17 PM
JMU / Nova trench wars for me. Last game it seemed the O and D lines for both were pretty evenly matched (Nova maybe having more of an advantage with the O line over our D line.) That said it seemed at the end of the game Nova's O and D lines were more fatigued. Landers will have plenty of time to pass but needs to make good decisions. Running game will not carry this game.

clenz
December 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
UNH's O vs. UNI's D.

UNH will more than likely struggle to run on UNI, which sets up a key match up with pass protection and coverage.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
who can run the ball and who can stop the run in all four games!!!

BDKJMU
December 1st, 2008, 01:23 PM
JMU / Nova trench wars for me. Last game it seemed the O and D lines for both were pretty evenly matched (Nova maybe having more of an advantage with the O line over our D line.) That said it seemed at the end of the game Nova's O and D lines were more fatigued. Landers will have plenty of time to pass but needs to make good decisions. Running game will not carry this game.

Yeah it will. JMU will run for more than it passes for.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
For JMU/'Nova, I would add 'Nova's offense against the JMU LBs. They brutalized those guys last game.

I agree, but I will remind people that although VU ran all over us like a couple other strong rushing teams have done lately, they never had a play go for a gain over 15 yards.

If JMU can continue to prevent the big play from VU, they should have the upper hand.

Turnovers can always be equalizers of course. We were -1 to a great Wofford team and nearly blew it. JMU can at most afford one turnover without creating one themselves.

Should be exciting. I expect a 34-24 score with long sustained drives by both teams.

I know VU's D is probably the best in the FCS, so that will be the key to beating JMU.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
For me, UNH needs to handle the UNI passing game. IMO, they can stop the run, but it won't do them any good if UNI marches down the field with the passing game. I'm also particularly concerned about Grace scrambling or taking the option, as UNH has struggled mightily with QB draws (see the Villanova game, and Dieker's solid rushing performance).

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Turnovers can always be equalizers of course. We were -1 to a great Wofford team and nearly blew it. JMU can at most afford one turnover without creating one themselves.

I agree. Anything more than -1 and we're in trouble.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
who can run the ball and who can stop the run in all four games!!!

This is usually the case. If so, it could mean trouble fro UNH and Weber St. as they are the more pass happy teams.

Khan4Cats
December 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
For me, UNH needs to handle the UNI passing game. IMO, they can stop the run, but it won't do them any good if UNI marches down the field with the passing game. I'm also particularly concerned about Grace scrambling or taking the option, as UNH has struggled mightily with QB draws (see the Villanova game, and Dieker's solid rushing performance).

Don't worry. We don't do QB draws.

We call them FB delays or FB roll with a run-pass option.xlolx

Make sure whoever wants to come up and hit Grace is ready to take a shot themselves.

JMU Newbill
December 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
Two big matchups I am looking for in the JMU game

1) JMU WR's vs. VU DB's. I know, last game it wasn't a hurricane, but it wasn't exactly the type of weather that you rack up passing yards either. Landers is a big boy, and did you see how hard he had to chuck the rock to get the hail mary all the way down there? Also, Landers has thrown quite a few TD passes as of late, including several 20 + yard TD passes. If VU stacks the box against us, look for Landers to go up top early.

2) JMU's LBs vs. VU's RB's... this has been said numerous times... but to me, if we can't stop them on the ground this time, things could get ugly. Improved linebacker play in the last few weeks of the regular season is promising... but Wofford certainly ran (almost) at will against us. Should be a great matchup.

Hoyadestroya85
December 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
My key for the VU JMU game is Whether JMU is drained at all from last weeks game. Villanova's team should come into this game high on energy because they barely played in the second half of the game on saturday.

Might I say that this is developing into a rivalry?

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
My key for the VU JMU game is Whether JMU is drained at all from last weeks game. Villanova's team should come into this game high on energy because they barely played in the second half of the game on saturday.

Might I say that this is developing into a rivalry?

I actually see this as an advantage for JMU. First, we've already played a competitive playoff game, and I think that's a plus. Second, if the players really are all that tired, the staff can go easy on the prep since we've already played 'Nova this year.

clenz
December 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Don't worry. We don't do QB draws.

We call them FB delays or FB roll with a run-pass option.xlolx

Make sure whoever wants to come up and hit Grace is ready to take a shot themselves.
I can't call him a fullback, he is too small. Our FB is 280. He thinks like a linebacker, maybe that is because he played LB for a year at UNI (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

There aren't many "draw" plays for Grace. They straight runs, or quick passes that weren't open so he takes off.