PDA

View Full Version : More Georgetown MSF Drawings

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM
The official Georgetown site has posted the fifth different iteration of the Multi-Sport Facility/Field project, now in its 9th year. This looks to be a scaled back version of what was proposed in the past.

The two deck seating has been replaced with what looks like simple bleachers, but again, it's only a drawing, and there's no guarantees at this point. No cost estimate was listed.

http://guhoyas.cstv.com/facilities/gu-multi-sport.html

clenz
December 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
That looks real nice.

carney2
December 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
Not having been to Georgetown since my younger daughter interviewed, and not having paid attention to the football facilities at the time, I have to ask:

1. I do remember that the school is pressed for space. For instance, we had to pay to park, which galled me no end since it was the first and only time that it happened in the entire college search for my kids. Anyway, I assume that using the current location and upgrading the facilities is the only - or best - option(?).

2. Does what is shown as the scoreboard end run along a street and therefore cannot be better utilized?

3. I know that this is only the 14th, 26th, whatever iteration of this thing over the years, so it can't even be thought of as "in the planning stage," but 4,500 is still in the D-III range for seating. Given this plan, can anything be done to increase capacity?

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think it looks fine. With a capacity of 4,500, Colgate-Villanova would not have sold it out, by the way. Is that a grassy berm at the far end? If so, a very nice touch, like Lehigh's at Goodman Stadium.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
It looked nice to me until I read the planned capacity!... 4500??? good lord what is this popwarner football???

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 01:39 PM
Not having been to Georgetown since my younger daughter interviewed, and not having paid attention to the football facilities at the time, I have to ask:

1. I do remember that the school is pressed for space. For instance, we had to pay to park, which galled me no end since it was the first and only time that it happened in the entire college search for my kids. Anyway, I assume that using the current location and upgrading the facilities is the only - or best - option(?).

2. Does what is shown as the scoreboard end run along a street and therefore cannot be better utilized?

3. I know that this is only the 14th, 26th, whatever iteration of this thing over the years, so it can't even be thought of as "in the planning stage," but 4,500 is still in the D-III range for seating. Given this plan, can anything be done to increase capacity?
I'm not a GU expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Actually, other than LBPop, I'm probably the closest in physical location to GU (only about 5 miles from my office). The new facility is sandwiched between a bunch of buildings. I will try to find the photos I posted a while back from a G'town scrimmage that shows how tight it is. Basically a 7 +/- story dorm at one endzone, a parking garage on the other. A hill behind one sideline and several academic buildings behind the other. So no, there's really no room for anything more. Parking does suck, but the only game I went to, they didn't charge. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM
What are the odds this gets done in the next 5 years? 25%?

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
What are the odds this gets done in the next 5 years? 25%?
2.5% seems more reasonable. :(

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
The evolution of the unfinished MSF. The fourth (nighttime) design would have been great.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/fb-msf.htm

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
The evolution of the unfinished MSF. The fourth (nighttime) design would have been great.
No kidding. Gives you an idea of how tight it is though.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/msf3_night.jpg

Husky Alum
December 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Latest version of the MSF looks like Parsons Field with more bleachers and better lights.

I think GU and NU should have a contest as to whose Drawings of football fields that may never get built are better. I don't have electronic versions of them, but I have about 20 years of plans for an on campus facility at NU.

I was gifted a 3 x 4 foot pen and ink drawing from 1959 which was NU's "Master Plan for the 1960s" and there's a 10,000 seat football stadium on campus. I have it in my office, and it's quite funny to see people's reactions.

HoyaMetanoia
December 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM

That doesn't even really show how tight it is though. That drawing looks to be before the SWQ (huge dorm complex) was built, which means that there is ZERO chance of expanding it any distance beyond what is show as the near endzone. Also, the business school is completing construction on a beautiful new building behind what is the far endzone in the picture, meaning there is almost no way to extend the endzone that far anymore. On the other side of the proposed office side, there is a road, tennis courts and a big power plant that can't be built into, so you can't extend it any further that way either. Basically, the only way is to build up.

4,500 is small, but Georgetown won't be sniffing a 2,000 average if things continue as they have the past 3 years under the current HC.

89Hen
December 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM
That doesn't even really show how tight it is though. That drawing looks to be before the SWQ (huge dorm complex) was built, which means that there is ZERO chance of expanding it any distance beyond what is show as the near endzone.
I think they just left it off for artistic purposes in this drawing.

Go...gate
December 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
I am all for the growth, development, and success of the GU program, and facilities improvment is certainly part of this. It is good for the conference. I hope the MSF comes to full flower.

maristdb89
December 1st, 2008, 09:02 PM

This option would great but unfortunately it probably will not happen. The local community has a lot of say on the campus development. :( Having 4,500 fans at 8PM is a big no go.

As for overall space, there is very little room for expansion. Confined on three sides by roads and nice new dormitory on the fourth side. Whatever is done, it should be built for future expansion.

ngineer
December 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
I was down there for the Lehigh game this year and the home stands appeared to me to be able to be raised and extended upward and back toward the gym, if necessary. The visitor side is pretty limited, though there was some room behind the stands that could accomodate another ten rows going up. So, if needed, I would think they could go up to 6-7000, which is almost Fordham's capacity.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
This option would great but unfortunately it probably will not happen. The local community has a lot of say on the campus development. :( Having 4,500 fans at 8PM is a big no go.
I don't think G'town plays night games (at least they don't now).

maristdb89
December 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
I don't think G'town plays night games (at least they don't now).

You're right, they don't now, but the rendering suggests the possibility. I think it would be great, but again, the local community would be very opposed to it.

HoyaMetanoia
December 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
This hasn't gotten a very warm reception on the HoyaTalk boards (http://hoyatalk2.proboards48.com/index.cgi?board=football&action=display&thread=17746).

I would say, however, if we could find some way to build what the old blog link in that thread has as the new basketball facility AND the older, better rendering of the football field, the campus would look a heck of a lot better.

colorless raider
December 2nd, 2008, 02:27 PM
You must have more than 4500 capacity aor the team will show no improvement since who can you recruit with that kind of capacity??xnonox

downbythebeach
December 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I cant believe GU still hasn't started working on this.......I was there a couple of years ago and during the game the announcer mentioned the new stadium at least 10 times.

Hope this comes to fruition soon

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
You must have more than 4500 capacity aor the team will show no improvement since who can you recruit with that kind of capacity??xnonox

I agree. It's obvious that the Georgetown administration has no clue what it takes to play FCS football on a national level. You can't build a 4,500 seat stadium. The inability to schedule home and homes with the UD, W&M, and other FCS major schools would hold back the school. Those type of games is what creates interest on campus. I know Georgetown is hurting for space but you can still within reason put a 10k seat stadium in that area if you get creative. Atleast then it would be more inline with PL stadium sizes
Holy Cross- 21,000
Lehigh- 16,000 seats; 20k+ with bank
Lafayette - 13,500
Bucknell- 13,000
Colgate - 10,500
Fordham - 7,000; they can easily add temp bleachers to the away side

DFW HOYA
December 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I agree. It's obvious that the Georgetown administration has no clue what it takes to play FCS football on a national level. You can't build a 4,500 seat stadium.

I can speak to this later, but the 4,500 figure comes from the PL itself.