PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island stepping up over the next few seasons...

putter
November 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/111005aap.html

That's a pretty ambitious schedule.

Bishkoff
November 15th, 2005, 06:07 PM
i like to see that...hopefully they beat uconn!!

UMass922
November 16th, 2005, 01:14 AM
i like to see that...hopefully they beat uconn!!

I'd like to see us play UConn. UMass-UConn is the best college football rivalry that doesn't exist. I'd even be willing to see UMass move up to I-A if it meant joining the Big East and having a rivalry-week game vs. the Huskies every year.

Tim James
November 16th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Its nice for a team to play 3 I-A's in a row each year but in URI's case they need as many wins as possible and 1 guarranteed loss on your schedule each year isnt good if you are a struggling program like URI is. Also it would have been better if they could have left the region for one of these 3 games. Maine can go to Nebraska and Missisisippi, UNH can go way out to CA for a game, Northeastern ca go down to LA and to OH then surely Rhody can take a trip out of the eastern time zone to play.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Also it would have been better if they could have left the region for one of these 3 games. Maine can go to Nebraska and Missisisippi, UNH can go way out to CA for a game, Northeastern ca go down to LA and to OH then surely Rhody can take a trip out of the eastern time zone to play.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. When I saw who they were playing, the first thing that entered my mind is how GOOD it was that they WERE staying in their region. Do you think Maine wowed any Nebraska high schoolers enough to want to go to Orono? I think URI is better off staying in NY, Mass, CT... where they have a chance to pull players. In addition, it gives their local alums a chance to attend the game which should help build their fanbase at home too.

EagleCrusade
November 16th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Just seeing his face on the page sent shivers through my spine.

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Just seeing his face on the page sent shivers through my spine.

I'm lost. Who are you speaking of?

\\forgive my ignorance..

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Stowers, I'm sure. Looks like he's lost some weight!

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Stowers, I'm sure. Looks like he's lost some weight!

So why does the head coach of URI send shivers down a GSU fans spine?? Again, forgive my ignorance. I obviously have alot to learn about certain teams fans on AGS.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Ex head coach @ GSU 90-95. Sued the school when let go. Bad blood.

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Ex head coach @ GSU 90-95. Sued the school when let go. Bad blood.

Oooooooooooohh my. Couple of questions if ya don't mind??

1) Did you guys win any championships with him as coach?

B) Why did he sue?? I'll take a guess and say he was fired and didn't agree with it.

***apologies for the threadjack***

TypicalTribe
November 16th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. When I saw who they were playing, the first thing that entered my mind is how GOOD it was that they WERE staying in their region. Do you think Maine wowed any Nebraska high schoolers enough to want to go to Orono? I think URI is better off staying in NY, Mass, CT... where they have a chance to pull players. In addition, it gives their local alums a chance to attend the game which should help build their fanbase at home too.

Absolutely agree. Very solid job by the folks in Kingston.

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM

B) Why did he sue?? I'll take a guess and say he was fired and didn't agree with it.

1) Won in 90', mostly with Erk's players.
2) Had a good record at GSU 52-23 overall 6-3 playoffs, but attendance and alumni support were dwindling. There was an out of court settlement.

bcrawf
November 16th, 2005, 03:18 PM
At UNI, our football team has to start the season 0-1 every year (the next 3 at Iowa State) so that we can continue to have Women's Soccer, Tennis, and Swimming.

THANK YOU TITLE IX!! :bang:

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM
At UNI, our football team has to start the season 0-1 every year (the next 3 at Iowa State)
C'mon man, 1994 wasn't that long ago that you've forgotten your kittys can beat those ketchup and mustard bastards. :p

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Anytime you fire a coach after a 9-4 campaign where you went to the quarterfinals of the playoffs, you ought to have your butt sued. It was totally classless. Tim is much happier at Rhode Island and has been given the proper time to build that program the rigth way.

Eagle_77
November 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Anytime you fire a coach after a 9-4 campaign where you went to the quarterfinals of the playoffs, you ought to have your butt sued. It was totally classless. Tim is much happier at Rhode Island and has been given the proper time to build that program the rigth way.

I am glad that he is happy there. Let him stay there. He was an ass and jerk and was not a good face for our university. Since moving to RI he is 26-41 (.390 winning percentage) in 6 seasons with only one winning record. That may be suitable for RI but not for us. And I am not sure if you are suggesting that he didn’t have proper time to build a program at GSU or not but the point is there wasn’t anything to build. He took over a jewel and nearly ruined it. Look at what Johnson did in his first year with Tim’s players. You may call it classless but I call it a good business decision. That very decision made it possible for us to get two more banners that we would not have gotten with him there.

And besides there were other reasons that he was fired besides his record. See the beginning of my first paragraph for reference.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I know all of the reasons, but when and how it was done showed a total lack of class. GSU must have done something wrong, or they wouldn't have settled the law suit out of court. Just like when The Citadel got in trouble for firing Charlie Taeffe and had to pay some serious bucks.

Obviously, you don't have much of a clue about how much of a rebuilding job Stowers has at URI, or you wouldn't focus on the record. By the way, I always found Paul Johnson to be much more of a pain in the butt to deal with as a media member than I ever did Stowers. I actually consider Stowers to be a good guy (and he is also an AGS/I-AA.org viewer, like several coaches around the country).

blur2005
November 17th, 2005, 07:28 PM
At UNI, our football team has to start the season 0-1 every year (the next 3 at Iowa State) so that we can continue to have Women's Soccer, Tennis, and Swimming.

THANK YOU TITLE IX!! :bang:
Give me a break. Women should have the same opportunity to play their games as men.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Playing Nebraska may not get Nebraska players, but it sure could attract attention of high schoolers close to home who were impressed by having a team of Nebraska's stature on the schedule.

89Hen
November 17th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Playing Nebraska may not get Nebraska players, but it sure could attract attention of high schoolers close to home who were impressed by having a team of Nebraska's stature on the schedule.
So does a Louisiana Lafayette or a San Jose State. Not impressive in my book.

eaglesrthe1
November 18th, 2005, 03:11 AM
I know all of the reasons, but when and how it was done showed a total lack of class. GSU must have done something wrong, or they wouldn't have settled the law suit out of court. Just like when The Citadel got in trouble for firing Charlie Taeffe and had to pay some serious bucks.

Obviously, you don't have much of a clue about how much of a rebuilding job Stowers has at URI, or you wouldn't focus on the record. By the way, I always found Paul Johnson to be much more of a pain in the butt to deal with as a media member than I ever did Stowers. I actually consider Stowers to be a good guy (and he is also an AGS/I-AA.org viewer, like several coaches around the country).

Just because there was an out of court settlement, doesn't mean that GSU was in the wrong. As long as the buy out portion (if there was one) of the contract was honored, then it's copacetic.

Focusing on a coaches record...hmmm...seems like a brilliant concept to me. Three consecutive 4 win seasons...sounds like a rebuilding fool. But then again, I don't have as much of a clue. I must need that 30 years experience to get insight like that.

Eagle_77
November 18th, 2005, 10:56 AM

I will give you that Johnson was not as media friendly as Stowers or Sewak but last time I checked you didn’t judge a coach by how easily he deals with the media. It was my understanding that they were hired or fired by the success that the had on the field and the relationship with the school that employed them. Ever since Stowers moved to RI I have played attention to their program. I didn’t pay as close attention before he went there so I cannot tell you how he has affected the school in compression to past coaches in anything but how there success translated on the field. The previous six seasons before Stowers RI was 19-46 (.300) winning percentage and only one winning season. I see were Stowers has improved there winning percentage up to (.390) or 7 more wins over his 6 years with only one winning season. So I guess if you call winning an average of 1.17 more games a season compared to before he got there rebuilding then we have completely different views of what rebuilding a program means.