PDA

View Full Version : Which do you stop first?

gamesaver22
November 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Armanti pass or Armanti run?

Grabholdofyosef
November 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
He doesnt seem to be 100% running, so I would stop the pass and make him prove he can still beat you on the ground. If he does, then adjust to stop the run and make him beat you the other way. That at least forces him to get into a passing rhythm late in the game as opposed to getting into that rhythm early.

CamelCityAppFan
November 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Your question assumes you actually can stop either (or both), and not many teams have been able to.

I think the key is to keep him off the field.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 30th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I think the teams that have had the most success against us have limited AE's rushing yardage. He is certainly capable of beating you through the air, but if you can stop him from tearing off the big run your DBs can concentrate on their coverage and make the passing game more difficult for him as well.

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM
First we will take away his punting game, then his long-snapping and later his place kicking. After that he'll be so confused, we'll have him beat mentally...

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You win the coin toss...accept to receive and keep him on the sideline as long as possible.

AppMAN04
November 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
It doesnt matter he will beat you which ever way. There is no stopping this kid even when it looks like hes having a bad game it is still a good game.

jmu_duke07
November 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Armanti is overrrated IMO. He's def not the same person from last year.

AppStateSVX
November 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM

ummmm.......you are an idiot. He is having a phenomenal year. How can he be achieving career milestones and be overrated?

fcsfootball71
November 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM
He's been drinking the Rodney Landers is the greatest koolaid that every other JMU fan has been drinking ;)

yosef1969
November 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
AE has been hampered by injury much of the year, has a young O-Line, and it took about 5 games for his receivers to get up to speed yet he's putting up very solid numbers. Overhyped, maybe but overrated??? Nope.

ericsaid
November 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Need Devin Radford back badly though, his speed on screen passes and just his big play potential everytime he touches the ball is missed.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maybe if you are just looking at his rushing numbers. Landers and Edwards are both great players... but, could you ever imagine Landers throwing for 430 yards in a game? I can't.

ASUPATCH
November 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Question is how many times has Landers ran for over 300 in a game?
Now how many time has Landers thrown for over 400 in a game?
Most importantly how many rings does Landers own?

blueballs
November 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
App isn't as strong a running team as they were in the past two years (lost KR and some good OL) but seems to be better through the air, so for me it would be get a good contain rush and play as much man under and zone over as I could.

B&G
November 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM

xlolx Thanks for the laugh. That's rich.

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Your question assumes you actually can stop either (or both), and not many teams have been able to.

I think the key is to keep him off the field.

It'll be interesting to see how Richmond does since the Spiders are ranked 5th in total defense and 6th in scoring defense. I'd say that the only other time Appalachian State faced a defense from one of the stronger conferences statistically rated as close to that strong was when it played UMass in the 2006 championship game. The Minutemen finished rated 20th in total and 5th in scoring defense that year. The Moutaineers did play a Lafayette defense rated 11th and 9th in 2005 but I wouldn't say that opponent was from one of the stronger leagues. Also, South Carolina State came in rated highly on defense yesterday but, again, I don't think most would say that opponent was from one of the stronger leauges.

If you remember the 2006 title game UMass did do a reasonably good job of controlling App State's offense. Obviously they didn't stop it; particularly late in the game. But it wasn't one of those games in which App's offense just ran up and down the field all night.

Of course playing App impacted the final defensive stats of teams that faced the Mountaineers in the past and Richmond hasn't played them yet. But one game among 14 shouldn't change things TOO much. Like if App scores 40 against Richmond that would move the Spiders from giving up 16.2 ppg to 17.9; which right now would be good for 13th in scoring defense.

BEAR
November 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Which do I stop first?....another thread on APP or this long drawn out thread on APP....hmm...xrolleyesx xlolx

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
First we will take away his punting game, then his long-snapping and later his place kicking. After that he'll be so confused, we'll have him beat mentally...

There you go. I'm just not sure what game you are playing. Football anyone?

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
You know, I was thinking about this today and I thought about what LSU did to Edwards and the App State offense. At the time we all thought LSU would be really good on defense. Maybe not a BCS championship team again but good on that side of the ball.

Turns out that, in the FBS context, LSU's defense stinks. Yet it held Appalachian State to 13 points, 11 first downs, and 239 total yards. Edwards was 13 of 31 passing for 155 yards. He ran the ball 12 times for 23 yards...a 1.9 yards per carry average.

I realize that when it comes to athletes, LSU still has way more on the defensive side of the ball than any FCS team does. But it's still interesting. Edwards is "stopable."

And LSU did it by going after him. To me that's the thing to do. If you get burned, you get burned. But go after him.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM
Trick question. You stop the ball and get it back.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM

LEARN FROM WOFFORD DEFEND THE PASS FIRST!!!!!!!!

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 08:47 PM

After seeing both Landers and Armanti play I can tell you this. Landers is a great player but he does a lot of what he does so to the OL being so beastly. Armanti's OL is not as good so a lot more of his rushing yards are on his own.

In other words:
Landers < Edwards
App OL < JMU OL
Landers on the ground = Edwards on the ground

Edwards is better because he's a better passer.

StrikeJMU
December 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
After seeing both Landers and Armanti play I can tell you this. Landers is a great player but he does a lot of what he does so to the OL being so beastly. Armanti's OL is not as good so a lot more of his rushing yards are on his own.

In other words:
Landers < Edwards
App OL < JMU OL
Landers on the ground = Edwards on the ground

Edwards is better because he's a better passer.

you gotta admit that Landers fake spike throw was right on target though. xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 1st, 2008, 10:22 PM
I say you take away his right arm and left leg, then he can't do either. xnodx xlolx

B&G
December 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
You know, I was thinking about this today and I thought about what LSU did to Edwards and the App State offense. At the time we all thought LSU would be really good on defense. Maybe not a BCS championship team again but good on that side of the ball.

Turns out that, in the FBS context, LSU's defense stinks. Yet it held Appalachian State to 13 points, 11 first downs, and 239 total yards. Edwards was 13 of 31 passing for 155 yards. He ran the ball 12 times for 23 yards...a 1.9 yards per carry average.

I realize that when it comes to athletes, LSU still has way more on the defensive side of the ball than any FCS team does. But it's still interesting. Edwards is "stopable."

And LSU did it by going after him. To me that's the thing to do. If you get burned, you get burned. But go after him.

If your defense has the overall speed of LSU's defense, then you definitely have the ability to shut down Armanti and ASU. App's strength is their speed which is a notch above most FCS teams.

MarchingMountaineer
December 2nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
I say you take away his right arm and left leg, then he can't do either. xnodx xlolx

He's left handed. And at half-speed, he's still fast. xcoffeex

CamelCityAppFan
December 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM

Not sure that the LSU model works this late in the season. Lot of inexperienced players on App's side of the ball who have a dozen starts to their credit now.

Frankly, LSU game was about what I expected, and the rest of this season has gone about how I thought as well (didn't expect the 2nd half meltdown against JMU, I must admit). App is not as flashy this year, and not rolling up the huge scores like last year, but they are still winning.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2008, 06:10 AM
you gotta admit that Landers fake spike throw was right on target though. xthumbsupx

yeah, but it wasn't 65 yards:D

UNHFan
December 2nd, 2008, 06:37 AM

Your all nuts and no nothing about football!!

You stop Amanti from getting to the game!!xlolx

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM

Agreed. You HAVE to dominate the line of scrimmage and get pressure on Armanti. Force him into bad throws. He's going to break a few runs on you but if you keep after him you eventually stop the offense.

JMU Newbill
December 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
The second half against Armanti we got great pressure on him and I think that helped us hold them back in the second half. With that being said, we sure didn't hold him back in the first half.

I think AE is the type of player you cannot contain for an entire game... it's just not going to happen. If you come out with a great defensive scheme in the first half, you may hold him for a while but he will adjust. If you make adjustments at halftime, you may hold him for a while but he will adjust.

Ultimately, you have to put points on the board, a lot of them, and hope that you can have enough defensive stops to win the game.

CamelCityAppFan
December 2nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Ultimately, you have to put points on the board, a lot of them, and hope that you can have enough defensive stops to win the game.

This is spot on. The way to beat Armanti is not with defense, but with offense. Long, clock grinding drives that result in TD's. Short series that result in punts just puts him back on the field, and when he finds the rhythm, well, look out...

Black and Gold Express
December 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM

If you combined the best D-Linemen in all of I-AA I don't think you can put together the caliber of athletes LSU had up there. Armanti had no chance because each of those guys were freaks and were blowing up the O-line as soon as the ball was snapped. A little bit of it you could maybe pin on it being the first game of the season for the ASU O-line, but that's like 5% of it at most.

I do think if LSU had even had adequate QB play and a passing game to compliment that running game, they would have been a lot better. By the halfway point of the season the offense was so one-dimensional and ineffective that the defense got worn out from being on the field all the time. I do think that had some role to play in LSU's season.

If Richmond, or anyone in I-AA, can manage to come close to the pressure LSU put on us without blitzing, then I will be completely shocked. I just don't think anyone in I-AA has that kind of up front talent on the line.

Bulldog87
December 2nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
You can only hope to contain him. After he escaped and made that 3rd down pass in the 4th quarter that broke our backs I'm convinced that you need to try and shut down App's receiving core to stop their offense. Edwards is too good with his arm and legs. You'll be hardpressed to stop him.

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
LEARN FROM WOFFORD DEFEND THE PASS FIRST!!!!!!!!

and then armanti will run for 300+ like he did last time we played richmond!

appfan2008
December 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
oh wait I got it!!!

PLAY WITH 12 DEFENDERS AT A TIME!!!!