PDA

View Full Version : Enoughy Fluffy: BIG SKY x 2 in the QUARTERS

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Lessee, Socon has 50% of their playoff teams in the quarters, MVFC has 50%, the big ol' CAA has 80%........ but that BIG FLUFFY SKY has 100%. Kind of takes the stuffy out of FLUFFY, huh?

Of course next week the overgrown CAA has two chances for the semis and one guaranteed. The BIG SKY can only advance one team. So will we have four conferences represented after next week or only two?

xcoffeex

aust42
November 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Lessee, Socon has 50% of their playoff teams in the quarters, MVFC has 50%, the big ol' CAA has 80%........ but that BIG FLUFFY SKY has 100%. Kind of takes the stuffy out of FLUFFY, huh?

Of course next week the overgrown CAA has two chances for the semis and one guaranteed. The BIG SKY can only advance one team. So will we have four conferences represented after next week or only two?

xcoffeex

Good question. The CAA going 4-1 in the playoffs certainly proves beyond any doubt that they are the best conference top to bottom.

Big Al
November 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Good question. The CAA going 4-1 in the playoffs certainly proves beyond any doubt that they are the best conference top to bottom.

No it doesn't.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Here we go...

*earmuffs*

siuham
November 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah. Playing Texas State and Cal Poly proves the Big Sky is the best conference in the Nation.

Wait...

Come back after the semis. If Montana/Weber can get to the finals, they can start talking ****.

CopperCat
November 30th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah. Playing Texas State and Cal Poly proves the Big Sky is the best conference in the Nation.

Wait...

Come back after the semis. If Montana/Weber can get to the finals, they can start talking ****.

Weber just beat a Cal Poly team that was getting #1 votes during the regular season. I'm pretty sure Weber is allowed to talk a little smack.

And nobody said that the BSC was the best conference in the nation.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM

Wait...

Coming from a fan of a team that's rated lower than the BSC, and just lost in the first round. xcoffeex

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
who would rather play Weber next week, instead of the team you are matched with?

aust42
November 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
No it doesn't.

Of course it does. The committee obviously recognized that by selecting 5 teams from the CAA Conference. What Conference had more than two teams selected? Zero. The CAA going 4-1 in the first round obviously reflects the strength of the conference.

Don't hate.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Don't hate.

Well I'm certainly not going to appreciate. xlolx

Jackman
November 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM
The CAA has three chances for the semis, and one guaranteed. If we split up the Big Sky vs. Big Sky and CAA vs. CAA games by swapping Weber and Villanova, the CAA would have the chance to try taking all 4 spots.

griz8791
November 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Of course it does. The committee obviously recognized that by selecting 5 teams from the CAA Conference. What Conference had more than two teams selected? Zero. The CAA going 4-1 in the first round obviously reflects the strength of the conference.

Don't hate.

Well I'm certainly not going to appreciate. xlolx

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Screamin_Eagle174 again."

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Screamin_Eagle174 again."

There is the smilie, you know.

xoutofrepx

Ud1Hens
November 30th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I think that JMU and Villanova are the two best teams right now...it stinks they are playing each other. Calm down App St., to be the best you have to beat the best, I know. Nova's 2 losses were to West Virginia and a Hail Mary (literally) to JMU. They've beat UNH and Richmond too. Should be a great game, look for winner to go to Chatty.

griz8791
November 30th, 2008, 12:42 AM
There is the smilie, you know.

xoutofrepx

Yeah, but it's so impersonal compared to pasting in the message with the would-be repee's name.

Proud Griz Man
November 30th, 2008, 12:47 AM

Wait...

I expected this kinda smack from the the CAA.

bye bye Salukis..

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 12:47 AM
The CAA has three chances for the semis, and one guaranteed. If we split up the Big Sky vs. Big Sky and CAA vs. CAA games by swapping Weber and Villanova, the CAA would have the chance to try taking all 4 spots.Swapping may be legal in Mass ( xlolx ) but not in the D-I Football Championships. xlmaox

mvemjsunpx
November 30th, 2008, 12:59 AM
You can't say the Big Sky is just "the Griz & everybody else" anymore. A BSC team other than Montana has made the quarters 5 of the last 6 years (2003 - NAU; 2004 - EWU; 2006 - MSU; 2007 - EWU; 2008 - Weber).

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
You can't say the Big Sky is just "the Griz & everybody else" anymore. A BSC team other than Montana has made the quarters 5 of the last 6 years (2003 - NAU; 2004 - EWU; 2006 - MSU; 2007 - EWU; 2008 - Weber).and this year is extra special because TWO, that is ALL of them made it! xnodx

siuham
November 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I expected this kinda smack from the the CAA.

bye bye Salukis..

Wasn't coming as a Saluki fan, coming as someone who isn't retarded.

Montana played a Texas State team that shouldn't have been in the playoffs (See: Central Arkansas.) Weber State played a team that lost to the only good team Weber beat during the season and was vastly overrated all season as a result of playing nobody and being ranked highly in the pre-season. Cal Poly lost to the only two good teams they played all year, which was the same pretense with which I dropped WIU, SDSU, NDSU, EWU, UMass, and others out of my poll.

Montana can talk some, they're good year in and year out. Weber cannot, they're nothing more than a fluke so far. Like I said, if either team can get to the finals, they can be considered good.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 01:19 AM

Montana played a Texas State team that shouldn't have been in the playoffs (See: Central Arkansas.) Weber State played a team that lost to the only good team Weber beat during the season and was vastly overrated all season as a result of playing nobody and being ranked highly in the pre-season. Cal Poly lost to the only two good teams they played all year, which was the same pretense with which I dropped WIU, SDSU, NDSU, EWU, UMass, and others out of my poll.

Montana can talk some, they're good year in and year out. Weber cannot, they're nothing more than a fluke so far. Like I said, if either team can get to the finals, they can be considered good.

So there's only two good teams all year?

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Hear that U Wisconsin. You suck, just play SIU to get schooled in how much.

xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM
So SIU has only had one "good" team in their FCS history?

(oh and CP, forget that you had 1 of the 2 FCS wins over FBS this year, that was not a good win)

MarchingMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM
So there's only two good teams all year?

According to his logic, there must be only one good team, since the losing team can't be any better than the other teams the winner beat. Tough curve.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 01:29 AM
somebody is sucking the sour grapes in crapsville tonight

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 01:39 AM
somebody is sucking the sour grapes in crapsville tonight

xlolx

Native
November 30th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Coming from a fan of a team that's rated lower than the BSC, and just lost in the first round. xcoffeex

xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx

JALMOND
November 30th, 2008, 02:56 AM
You can't say the Big Sky is just "the Griz & everybody else" anymore. A BSC team other than Montana has made the quarters 5 of the last 6 years (2003 - NAU; 2004 - EWU; 2006 - MSU; 2007 - EWU; 2008 - Weber).

Save it for the SoCon, which is slowly emerging as "App State and everybody else".

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Save it for the SoCon, which is slowly emerging as "App State and everybody else".In the last 10 years only once has the SOCON not been in the semis. Granted it has only been half their conference making it there. xcoffeex

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Don't hate.

The CAA is a great conference...I actually predicted an all CAA final, but let us not forget the CAA is also a BIG conference which means more chances to get in.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Who gives a damn which conference is the best? I mean, unless you can tell me what national championship trophy they give to the best conference...that's what I thought.

uofmman1122
November 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Who gives a damn which conference is the best? I mean, unless you can tell me what national championship trophy they give to the best conference...that's what I thought.Agreed.

It's all nice and good that both BSC teams won, but in the end the only thing that matters is who ends up on top.

A team could be from the worst conference, but if they win the NC, it doesn't really matter, does it?

bpcats
November 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
It does suck that both Big Sky teams have to play each other in the second round pretty much no matter what due to the regionalization of the playoffs. It would have been nice if they were in opposite brackets.

mlbowl
November 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
It does suck that both Big Sky teams have to play each other in the second round pretty much no matter what due to the regionalization of the playoffs. It would have been nice if they were in opposite brackets.

Nope...it's set up perfect for all the east coasters...If Montana wins...Weber was a "fluke"....If Weber wins...Montana was "overrated"

kalm
November 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Nope...it's set up perfect for all the east coasters...If Montana wins...Weber was a "fluke"....If Weber wins...Montana was "overrated"

xnodx

With as often as Davis, Poly, and SUU play us, I'm considering the Big Sky as a three bid conference this year, including the 'Stangs.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Congrats to the Big Sky. The last several years have been a big improvement in the playoffs. Now get somebody beside Montana in the semis, or better yet, to Chatty. I wish Montana and Weber didn't have to play each other in the Q's.

patssle
November 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Whoever wins the NC does not equal the best conference. More than one team makes up a conference.

grizzpaw
November 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
we need to change the big sky like the caa with a "mountain" and a "coastal" division (add the great west).That way the best teams only play each every four years or so thus getting 5 teams in when other teams belong in the playoffs and say we're the "best" we got five teams in. And drop msu down to naia where they can win a few games and make the playoffs with carroll!

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2008, 12:09 PM

so, by your logic SIU can't be considered good this year? Weber and Montana are two of the last 8 teams standing. You may be the ONLY person here who considers Cal Poly a patsie. Go take your haterade somewhere else... xlolx xlolx xlolx

cats2506
November 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Last year it was NDSU that should have been NC, this year it is Central Arkansas, lets see how it works out for them next year.

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Congrats to the Big Sky. The last several years have been a big improvement in the playoffs. Now get somebody beside Montana in the semis, or better yet, to Chatty. I wish Montana and Weber didn't have to play each other in the Q's.

Right on cue. xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 12:20 PM
we need to change the big sky like the caa with a "mountain" and a "coastal" division (add the great west).That way the best teams only play each every four years or so thus getting 5 teams in when other teams belong in the playoffs and say we're the "best" we got five teams in. And drop msu down to naia where they can win a few games and make the playoffs with carroll!
xlolx

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 12:21 PM
What did I say that isn't true? xconfusedx

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Last year it was NDSU that should have been NC, this year it is Central Arkansas, lets see how it works out for them next year.

not eligible next year either. xrulesx

AZGrizFan
November 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM
What did I say that isn't true? xconfusedx

Nothing. But you're right on cue for basically setting up the argument that Weber was overrated. 5 CAA teams get in, 3/2 split in the brackets. If the committee ONLY saw the value in splitting up conference mates, we'd be able to have TWO teams make deep runs. Because of regionalization, it'll NEVER happen. Christ, at the very least they could have put them in opposite sides of the SAME bracket so at least they didn't meet until the semis....but NOOOOOOOOO....instead we're left with another perfect scenario for CAA apologists....you've got teams with chances to make it an all CAA final....we get an all BSC QUARTER final and have to be happy with that....AGAIN.

Hell, they split up the SoCon teams....why not the BSC teams? It really wouldn't have been that hard to shift two teams. If you can't see THAT, I'm wasting my breath.

dbackjon
November 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The CAA has three chances for the semis, and one guaranteed. If we split up the Big Sky vs. Big Sky and CAA vs. CAA games by swapping Weber and Villanova, the CAA would have the chance to try taking all 4 spots.

Not at all. weber, Montana, JMU, App State and Cal Poly are the five best teams in the nation. The committee, with their noses up the CAA's butt, put three of the top 5 teams in the nation in the same 4 team bracket.

Weber, Montana, and Cal Poly would beat any CAA team other than JMU by 10, minimum.

catbob
November 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
And drop msu down to naia where they can win a few games and make the playoffs with carroll!

I'm pretty sure the Cats just finished their 7th consecutive winning season, but don't let facts get in your way. We haven't finished lower than tied for 4th in the conference since 2001.

xcoffeex

Go Cats
November 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM

The flukes moved on in the playoffs. They only did what was asked of them, by beating the team that they were assigned to play by the same people that allowed 5 CAA teams in.

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Not at all. weber, Montana, JMU, App State and Cal Poly are the five best teams in the nation. The committee, with their noses up the CAA's butt, put three of the top 5 teams in the nation in the same 4 team bracket.

Weber, Montana, and Cal Poly would beat any CAA team other than JMU by 10, minimum.

Now THAT's comedy!:p

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Now THAT's comedy!:p

Maybe that's comedy to someone who has never witnessed the powers that be in FCS west football. Cal Poly is a machine, and Weber proved what they could do last night. xpeacex

srgrizizen
November 30th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Who gives a damn which conference is the best? I mean, unless you can tell me what national championship trophy they give to the best conference...that's what I thought.

Mountaineer nailed it. All this smack about conference strength is 100% speculative hot air -- and completely irrelevant to the main point of deciding the best team.

It's just too bad UM and Weber State can't meet again in Chattanooga. Oh yeah, I forgot, what passes here in the FCS wilderness for a great matchup next Saturday is exposed by some AGS sages and SIU poor losers as just another BSC pillow fight. LOL.

YoUDeeMan
November 30th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Hey, is that game hard to play? xeyebrowx

Let me try:

JMU, Richmond, and villanova would beat any team west of the Missisippi by 10, minimum. UNH and W&M would beat any other team west of the Missisippi outside of Griz stadium by 10, minimum.

Heck, the Griz have proven for years that they can't beat anyone outside of Grizzyworld in the playoffs...and recently they've been beaten in consecutive years in their own stadium in the playoffs. Fly a western team east (see UC Davis vs Northeastern...a bottom dweller) and they lose.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....that was fun. xnodx xlolx

Got any more brilliant games to play? :p

xcoffeex

xpeacex

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hey, is that game hard to play? xeyebrowx

Let me try:

JMU, Richmond, and villanova would beat any team west of the Missisippi by 10, minimum. UNH and W&M would beat any other team west of the Missisippi outside of Griz stadium by 10, minimum.

Heck, the Griz have proven for years that they can't beat anyone outside of Grizzyworld in the playoffs...and recently they've been beaten in consecutive years in their own stadium in the playoffs. Fly a western team east (see UC Davis vs Northeastern...a bottom dweller) and they lose.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....that was fun. xnodx xlolx

Got any more brilliant games to play? :p

xcoffeex

xpeacex

I'd love to see W and M play Weber State. Maybe it'd get you to shut your trap.

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=charliej;1236657]

Maybe that's comedy to someone who has never witnessed the powers that be in FCS west football. Cal Poly is a machine, and Weber proved what they could do last night. xpeacex

Cal poly is a machine alright...on offense. Weber outscored em,but I didn't see much D from either last night. I'm looking forward to seeing WSU at UM...at least I know they have a defense.

Even JMU,who actually played Nova & Richmond,would be hesitant to say they were the only team in the CAA that would give 'yall a game IMO.

Hopefully,we get to see in two weeks.;)

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure your conf. champ beating our 5th ranked team would prove much. Now if W&M won it..THAT would be something.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure your conf. champ beating our 5th ranked team would prove much. Now if W&M won it..THAT would be something.

I was just addressing the laughable point he made.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Grizaholic17;1236662]

Cal poly is a machine alright...on offense. Weber outscored em, but I didn't see much D from either last night. I'm looking forward to seeing WSU at UM...at least I know they have a defense.

Even JMU,who actually played Nova & Richmond,would be hesitant to say they were the only team in the CAA that would give 'yall a game IMO.

Hopefully,we get to see in two weeks.;)

Yep, those 4 picks were accident's. The corners we're just running around the field with their hands in the air praying to the football gods...

xcoffeex

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I was just addressing the laughable point he made.

Same here..it's all good. Everything will shake itself out in the coming weeks. Till then the *****'ll probably fly from all directions. :D

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Same here..it's all good. Everything will shake itself out in the coming weeks. Till then the *****'ll probably fly from all directions. :D

Well I'm rootin for Villanova this week, that's for sure.

charliej
November 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=charliej;1236684]

Yep, those 4 picks were accident's. The corners we're just running around the field with their hands in the air praying to the football gods...

xcoffeex

4 picks is impressive,but over 1100 combined yds and 84 total points?... Doesn't sound like much defense to me.xeyebrowx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE=Screamin_Eagle174;1236702]

4 picks is impressive,but over 1100 combined yds and 84 total points?... Doesn't sound like much defense to me.xeyebrowx

Sounds like some really incredible offenses, and average defenses.

gbhmt
November 30th, 2008, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=charliej;1236716]

Nah I'd say average for Weber with some quick DB's and just bad for CP with maybe a couple good D linemen.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2008, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=charliej;1236716]

That counter triple was the most effective. I don't think we expected them to run that one as much as the standard one.

kalm
November 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM
If Weber had beat Eastern, perhaps they would have been in placed in the opposite bracket from Montana or at least hosted a first round game. They kinda shot themselves in the foot.

Regardless, the BSC is definitely improved.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
If the committee ONLY saw the value in splitting up conference mates, we'd be able to have TWO teams make deep runs. Because of regionalization, it'll NEVER happen. Christ, at the very least they could have put them in opposite sides of the SAME bracket so at least they didn't meet until the semis....but NOOOOOOOOO....instead we're left with another perfect scenario for CAA apologists....you've got teams with chances to make it an all CAA final....we get an all BSC QUARTER final and have to be happy with that....AGAIN.

2007: Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2006: Montana and MSU would have met in Chatty
2005: Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2004: Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2003: Montana and NAU would have met in the semis

First time in six years you would meet in the Q's.

Peems
November 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
2007: Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2006: Montana and MSU would have met in Chatty
2005: Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2004: Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2003: Montana and NAU would have met in the semis

First time in six years you would meet in the Q's.

The difference is that this year the two teams from the BSC are legit top ten teams. Those past years have been when a weaker BSC team has gotten in, so it made more sense for them to meet up earlier rather than later. It's just like how Nova and JMU are meeting up already, but now i'm opening a can of worms.

89Hen
November 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Geography, regionalization and sheer number of teams all work against the BSC when it comes to scheduling, there's not much denying that. xpeacex

Grizaholic17
November 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Geography, regionalization and sheer number of teams all work against the BSC when it comes to scheduling, there's not much denying that. xpeacex

Works against us is right. Luckily we have a contract with UC-Davis and Cal Poly now. ANd I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those DUMB BCS games scheduled for the griz in the coming years.

GrizDen
December 1st, 2008, 12:35 AM
If the committee ONLY saw the value in splitting up conference mates, we'd be able to have TWO teams make deep runs. Because of regionalization, it'll NEVER happen. Christ, at the very least they could have put them in opposite sides of the SAME bracket so at least they didn't meet until the semis....but NOOOOOOOOO....instead we're left with another perfect scenario for CAA apologists....you've got teams with chances to make it an all CAA final....we get an all BSC QUARTER final and have to be happy with that....AGAIN.

Hell, they split up the SoCon teams....why not the BSC teams? It really wouldn't have been that hard to shift two teams. If you can't see THAT, I'm wasting my breath.

Agreed 100% It would have been waaaaay to easy to shift two teams which would have allowed the possibility of two BSC teams to reach the semis. Not that WA-Griz needs any more excuses to be loud, but an all BSC Semi-Final game would be out of control if that ever happens in the future. xnodx

I guess we just have to succumb to this lame regionalization policy until it gets changed (yeah right that will happen xrolleyesx ).

AZGrizFan
May 4th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Hey, 89Hen!!! Look at this blast from the past! We did it....finally....

ursus arctos horribilis
May 4th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hey, 89Hen!!! Look at this blast from the past! We did it....finally....

Wow, you are digging deep to get that one out there but good job.xlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
May 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Wow, you are digging deep to get that one out there but good job.xlolx

xlolx It's kind of fun to go back with that perfect hindsight and see what everyone was saying. The gems I found in this thread:

WE BE TALKIN' MAD SHIZ UP IN HERE!!! Well, at least before the 2008 NC game. xwhistlex

Consider it (almost) done. xhurrayx

xoopsx Well that one didn't work out so well in 2009.

But EWU in 2010.... suck it CAA!!!! xlolx