PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
What's the story with the sledgehammer?

Do you always do it on the road?

Ud1Hens
November 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
What's the story with the sledgehammer?

Do you always do it on the road?

I don't know the story behind it but they did it @ Delaware.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
How did Delaware fans respond?

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
What did they do with the sledgehammer? I don't think i've ever seen this.

EmeryZach
November 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
yeah, please tell us more about what you are talking about

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 11:01 PM
yeah, please tell us more about what you are talking about

There were no animals involved correct?

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 11:02 PM
The team gathers to come out. they sway and wave and then one guy walks out and strikes the field with a sledgehammer and the team comes running out.

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM
xconfusedx

I could see that being "cool" at a home game, but somewhere else?

EmeryZach
November 29th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Oh, well sounds like something just to get the team going. I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Sounds like it just made you guys mad though, so it probably backfired anyways.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Also probably broke our field. xlolx. Concrete hates sledgehammers.

Also, why on earth is the black bear named Bananas? WTF, mate?

JayJ79
November 29th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Also probably broke our field. xlolx. Concrete hates sledgehammers.

If it did, I'm sure UNI will be sending the repair bill to them. :p

JayJ79
November 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Also, why on earth is the black bear named Bananas? WTF, mate?

did some quick research:

http://goblackbears.cstv.com/trads/main-mascot.html

Jeff, a black bear cub who was found on the slopes of Mt. Katahdin in 1914, was loaned to the university by Old Town police chief O.B. Fernandez, who hoped that the beast might bring good luck to the ailing football team.

Jeff made his debut at a rally in preparation for the Colby game, and as he entered the auditorium, the surprised crowd applauded enthusiastically. Thinking it the only proper thing to do, Jeff gratefully stood on his head; the crowd went "bananas!"

Maine went on to whip Colby 31-6, and Maine has been going "bananas" for Black Bears ever since. Former track and cross country captain Lloyd E. Houghton '12 presented the university with its own black bear cub the following year, and, remembering Jeff's enthusiastic welcome, suggested the cub be named Bananas.

Ud1Hens
November 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM
How did Delaware fans respond?

They did it in front of the students so they were all pretty pissed. At the time, it was one of those, "You haven't been relevant for years, you don't deserve to taunt." Then they spanked us...

crunifan
November 30th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Speaking of Maine's over-sized teddy bear mascot, what was with him? He looked like he took an entire bottle of depression medication before he came out today. He just looked down at his feet and shuffled around. And that was before the game even started. Poor thing needed to be put out of its misery.

clenz
November 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I didn't see the sledgehammer, but that is pretty dumb to do on the road.

I agree with cr about their mascot and not being mascot like. He just mopped around the entire game.

bainsey
November 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I agree with cr about their mascot and not being mascot like. He just mopped [sic] around the entire game.

That's called losing.

Jay hit it on the head with his research. The name Bananas stuck from the reaction of a live mascot years ago. Maine state law now prohibits live mascots (I have to wonder how many states have such a law), hence the bear suit. Actually, that suit is pretty nice compared to those of previous years. You should have seen the blue bear or the smile that went nearly 180 degrees around the bear head!