PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Win: Richmond at Appalachian State

Pages : [1] 2

UNHWildCats
November 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Discuss

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 10:19 PM
gotta go with my homer pick obviously. asu tends to play down to the competition and that was evident today, i fully expect them to play better next week....they have to if they want to win. grayson, ward, and vaughan are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

gbhmt
November 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
It'll be close, App hasn't played a defense as good as Richmond's.

proasu89
November 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
We've been mistake prone our last 3 games. AE is still dinged up, but had a great game throwing the ball today. We look great at times, and abysmal at times on offense. Defense continues to give up yardage but steps up when needed. Only TD given up in the second half was the result of a botched catch of a snap on a punt. I really don't have a read on this squad. But this much I know, they can strike from anywhere on the field and they do not quit until the final gun. Overall this team has been a pleasant surprise in what was supposed to be a "rebuilding year".

proasu89
November 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Well SCSU was a good trial by fire.

appstate38
November 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM

Seems they said the same thing last time. Richmond will have to deal with the Apps speed once again.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Total Defense:

4. South Carolina State
5. Richmond

paward
November 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
We are the underdog in this one. If we click on all cylinders who knows what may happen. Look forward to the trip and game. No matter the outcome I am sure it will all be left on the field. I do hope that at game's end this year we get the opportunity to shake hands with App State players. They have our respect for everything that they have accomplished in recent years.

Cleets
November 29th, 2008, 10:42 PM
This game is not going to even be close... (App. by 21) Mark my words

~

DTSpider
November 29th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Had to go with the homer pick. Richmond will need a very good game on all levels and to create some turnovers to win. Ward looked really good today which is very encouraging. Need some guys to get healthy during the week. I think it'll be a great game.

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM

~

i hope your right...i just dont see it happening.

LehighFan11
November 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Haha more people picking Richmond than App? Ha

Appy by 17, don't let today fool you.

Dukes2011
November 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Total Defense:

4. South Carolina State
5. Richmond

Gotta take conferences into account. SoCon/CAA debates aside, you have to remember that MEAC offenses just aren't as good as Colonial ones. Definitely a case of stats not telling the whole story.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
If AE is 100% healthwise for running, App. will win by 17.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Gotta take conferences into account. SoCon/CAA debates aside, you have to remember that MEAC offenses just aren't as good as Colonial ones. Definitely a case of stats not telling the whole story.

SC State's defense was legit (at least their run d). Was it better that Richmond's? I don't know... but, I think it was on the same level.

We shall see.

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Well, without regard to Richmond's other injuries (and App's) it will at least be nice to see AE & Co. face a healthy Logan and Sidbury. I am not optimistic but we'll see.

onbison09
November 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
App by 2 TDs.

matfu
November 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Did App Stae and Richmond play in the playoffs last year? If so, what round and what was the final score?

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Did App Stae and Richmond play in the playoffs last year? If so, what round and what was the final score?

Semifinals
Appalachian State - 55
Richmond - 35

Armanti Edwards 313 yards rushing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQQONgG3Y4

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:17 PM
As I mentioned, we'll see what difference 2 All-CAA DEs can make, neither played in last year's contest.

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 11:19 PM
As I mentioned, we'll see what difference 2 All-CAA DEs can make, neither played in last year's contest.

with all due respect-i dont think that would have been the difference last year. this year...maybe.

Peems
I'm just going to keep picking App. till i'm proved wrong!!!

matfu
Semifinals
Appalachian State - 55
Richmond - 35

Armanti Edwards 313 yards rushing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FQQONgG3Y4

based on that info. i predict app state will win. App knows how to win at the Rock (like Marshall and Ga Southern used to do when the finals weren't played at a neutral site).

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:27 PM
with all due respect-i dont think that would have been the difference last year. this year...maybe.

Perhaps not. But don't lose sight of the fact that w/o them it was still tied at 35 in the fourth quarter.

Skjellyfetti
November 29th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Perhaps not. But don't lose sight of the fact that w/o them it was still tied at 35 in the fourth quarter.

VERY briefly. ;)

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Right, but allow them in there for the first 3 quarters and then the rest of the 4th and see what happens. As I said, I am not optimistic at Rock but happy we will at least see those two face AE. Hopefully Crone, as well.

jmuOX581
November 29th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Richmond is a good team on all levels of play. This game will be close. Richmond is a damn good team.

Appstate29
November 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
App in an ugly one! The real losers will be my fingernails. They probably will be bleeding by the end of the game.

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Crone's health will be a big factor in this game also. Shame to have a guy like that come up gimpy late in his 5th season after being a stalwart.

Ronbo
November 29th, 2008, 11:38 PM
App. State will win 28,000 fans to 25 fans.

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I find it funny that your sig only validates how weak your conference is.

Grizaholic17
November 29th, 2008, 11:43 PM
realistically: APPY
consciously: RICHMOND

Grizaholic17
November 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM

Did you see the same games as me today? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Did you see the same games as me today? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Don't you really think that if your conference was that strong and you had won it 11 times in a row and made the playoffs out of it 16 straight years you'd have more to show for it? Or are they just notorious playoff chokers?

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I need to see Montana or Weber State vs. App or a CAA team before any comparisons are made.

FCS Go!
November 29th, 2008, 11:52 PM

I guess your lack of a sig line describing Richmond's accomplishments over the last 15 years speaks to your conference's strength (or is it the lack of accomplishments)?

Your smack is weak. Try something we haven't heard a million times.

Bettina90
November 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Well, I think sig lines are retarded, so that's the end of that. But I would regard winning the CAA South 3 years in a row as more impressive than the Big Sky 11 times in a row (not that Richmond has). And the fact that almost half the teams left in the playoffs are from the CAA South (and one left out is a perennial power) validates that.

AppStateLumbee
November 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I had to go with Richmond because deep down I thought they were gonna beat us last year with the game tied at 35-35. More than any other team Richmond wants to prove themselves in front of us. Of course I want App to win the game like last year but I am afraid of the revenge factor. If we play like we did against Wofford in front of the cameras we will kill them but if we play like we did against a good SCST we will be in a close one and prob. lose it. I didn't think much about there being 5 CAA teams in the playoffs last year but this year is different. The CAA is = to the Big 10 in my books. If App beats another CAA team for the National Championship, I will officially start calling them The Big 10 of 1-AA.

Bettina90
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Relax, AppStateLumbee, I think App wins this one and likely comfortably. Turnovers and Richmond having a dominant running attack will need to be in place for them to win. Unless my dreams of the Richmond DE's being able to seriously contain/hurt AE come to fruition.

CopperCat
November 30th, 2008, 12:20 AM

Richmond's D is the reason I'm going to pick them. They have the horses to keep the game close on both sides of the ball, with the defense being key. The final score shouldn't be more than a 3-7 point spread.

ViennaSpider
November 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM
ASU could be in for an interesting afternoon next Saturday, if Richmond's offense plays to its potential, like it did during the second half of the EKU game yesterday.

AppMAN04
November 30th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I think Appstate will win, I was at the game today and they hung in there all the way to the end and when it was time to turn it on they did. Richmond will make it a hard game and Armanti will only have 200 yards rushing this year.

Grizalltheway
November 30th, 2008, 12:32 AM
My heart says Richmond but my head says App.

Bettina90
November 30th, 2008, 12:32 AM
How does App stand on injuries?

AppState
November 30th, 2008, 01:47 AM

We generally don't like them.

ASU
November 30th, 2008, 02:37 AM
We generally don't like them.

I don't know....I don't mind other teams having them if they insist.....would rather they come to Kidd Brewer Stadium -aka- The Rock without them (it cuts down on their excuses).

T-Dog
November 30th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Quick had a shoulder taped up but he should be fine. A couple other nicks and bruises but we avoided any big injuries this game. And I think we finally get Radford back next week so we'll have out dual threat RB attack. Compared to two weeks ago we're doing very well with minimal injuries.

AppStsGr8
November 30th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Leonard Love still looked a little gimpy to me last night. AE didn't look to be 100% either. Would be great to have Radford back next week.

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I had to go with Richmond because deep down I thought they were gonna beat us last year with the game tied at 35-35. More than any other team Richmond wants to prove themselves in front of us. Of course I want App to win the game like last year but I am afraid of the revenge factor. If we play like we did against Wofford in front of the cameras we will kill them but if we play like we did against a good SCST we will be in a close one and prob. lose it. I didn't think much about there being 5 CAA teams in the playoffs last year but this year is different. The CAA is = to the Big 10 in my books. If App beats another CAA team for the National Championship, I will officially start calling them The Big 10 of 1-AA.

Be careful...the homers will lynch you for comments like this, but I totally agree. I've already been blasted for my playoff picks but I'm sticking with them.

Villanova 21 at James Madison 20-overtime
Weber State 14 at Montana 38-looking for revenge
Richmond 48 at Appalachian State 42-Richmond pulls off the upset in a shootout
Maine 7 at UNH 34

and yes I missed UNI big...sorry guys

I think it will be another shootout like last year, but I think this is Richmond's game. I think ASU coaches make some calls that backfire and cost us field position and ends up biting us in the end.

I've said all year I have questioned the play calling and that didn't change against SCSU. With a 10 point lead in the 3rd quarter and a steady rain...why didn't we try to milk the clock? We managed to runoff a whopping 58 seconds before punting, which was blocked and led to a touchdown. You can say...well we were going for the knockout or what not, but with a 2 score lead you don't need to be throwing on first down, especially in the rain.

Luckily it looks like the weather will be clear for this game. I want to go to Chatty so I hope I am 100% wrong and App blows them out by 4 touchdowns. GO 'NEERS

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 06:39 AM

That's true, but you guys also lost the Arizona Cardinals starting running back Tim Hightower who tore up our D last year. Thankfully, he's gone, he was straight up nasty. It should be interesting, but if we can get Armanti out of the pocket to pass, we may be able to negate the DEs pressure.

jmu007
November 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I voted for Richmond and here is my reasoning. (sidenote: i've seen both teams play in person this season)

Richmond's defense is GOOD. Real good. And to go with that, Ward and Vaughn are hitting on all cylinders right now. As much as it pains me to say this, I almost would rather see ASU than UR in the final as a JMU fan. Their style of offense is just so much less prone to mistakes and quick outs.

ASU, has (from what i've read on here) been a little off the past few weeks. Top that with a few key players being banged up and you have a bad mix against a defense that is top notch. And yes, I know AE is Mr. Clutch in the post season, but its not like UR doesn't play Landers during the regular season, so they've seen this type of thing before.

Long story short because I don't have time for more as we're on the road home from the Wofford game (awesome game btw), Richmond upsets ASU on the road.. 31-30 (blocked XP: just too add a little drama :) )

SunCoastBlueHen
November 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM

~

Enjoy your crow next week, Cleets!

jus10asu
November 30th, 2008, 06:44 AM
We worked out all the craptastic play yesterday and its time for us to show the monster that ASU is. It will hopefully be better weather next week. Soooo, I say we set records against Richmond last year and this year won't be any different. Both teams are different teams from last year I know but ASU will play up to their competition and put up some crazy numbers.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Enjoy your crow next week, Cleets!

Or he could be relishing in his prediction.

AppStFan76
November 30th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Be careful...the homers will lynch you for comments like this, but I totally agree. I've already been blasted for my playoff picks but I'm sticking with them.

Maine 7 at UNH 34

I think it will be another shootout like last year, but I think this is Richmond's game. I think ASU coaches make some calls that backfire and cost us field position and ends up biting us in the end.

I've said all year I have questioned the play calling and that didn't change against SCSU. With a 10 point lead in the 3rd quarter and a steady rain...why didn't we try to milk the clock? We managed to runoff a whopping 58 seconds before punting, which was blocked and led to a touchdown. You can say...well we were going for the knockout or what not, but with a 2 score lead you don't need to be throwing on first down, especially in the rain.

Luckily it looks like the weather will be clear for this game. I want to go to Chatty so I hope I am 100% wrong and App blows them out by 4 touchdowns. GO 'NEERS

I think we were throwing on first down because the SCSU D had stepped up their game and pretty effectivly stopped the run, and for the most part their pass D was not that good. AE's 400+ passing yards support that.

Also, SCSU only earned 1 score yesterday, the other 2 came from mistakes (that we dont normally make- ie: thrown interseption and BLOCKED PUNT...1st one since 2003!! according to the guys on ESPN) Take away those mistakes and we dominated the score board.

Dont get me wrong you have every wright to express your oppinion, and predict the out come any way you want, I just happen to disagree.:)

I hope you are wrong

GO APPS!!!

Mntneer
November 30th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I still don't get how everyone says UR's D is gonna surprise us after we just beat a team with an equally strong D. The reason we play the games is to find out what these teams are made of, and say what you will about the MEAC (and I'd generally agree), but SCSU was for real. Hopefully our injury situation will be better next week and get App into full playoff mode. No score prediction here, but App gets the W.

nmatsen
November 30th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Go Richmond! Please go Richmond!

appfan2008
November 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I am an app homer... so I bet you can guess who I chose... GO APP ST...

oh yeah my wife cant make this one so i am getting my dad to take her seat and he is coming up from atlanta... cant wait

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I still don't get how everyone says UR's D is gonna surprise us after we just beat a team with an equally strong D. The reason we play the games is to find out what these teams are made of, and say what you will about the MEAC (and I'd generally agree), but SCSU was for real. Hopefully our injury situation will be better next week and get App into full playoff mode. No score prediction here, but App gets the W.

I voted for Richmond because I'm a homer, but I agree with the sentiment from the ASU fans here. Richmond touted a strong defense last year and gave up 55 to Appalachian.

App is the favorite. Richmond needs to prove they can stop them.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I voted for Richmond because I'm a homer, but I agree with the sentiment from the ASU fans here. Richmond touted a strong defense last year and gave up 55 to Appalachian.

App is the favorite. Richmond needs to prove they can stop them.

The most important stat to me is (thankfully) Tim Hightower has gone on to bigger and better things.

appfan2008
November 30th, 2008, 07:27 AM
The most important stat to me is (thankfully) Tim Hightower has gone on to bigger and better things.

and he is doing a damn good job

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 07:32 AM

App98:
Armchair QB-ing again? We did not milk the clock with the run because SCSU's D was darn good against the run. That leaves the pass, so that's what we did. It made sense to me. Try to understand.

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think we were throwing on first down because the SCSU D had stepped up their game and pretty effectivly stopped the run, and for the most part their pass D was not that good. AE's 400+ passing yards support that.

Also, SCSU only earned 1 score yesterday, the other 2 came from mistakes (that we dont normally make- ie: thrown interseption and BLOCKED PUNT...1st one since 2003!! according to the guys on ESPN) Take away those mistakes and we dominated the score board.

Dont get me wrong you have every wright to express your oppinion, and predict the out come any way you want, I just happen to disagree.:)

I hope you are wrong

GO APPS!!!

I hope I am wrong too, I'm just happy we won and move on to the next round and I look forward to some spider squishing.

Not really agreeing with you though that they stopped our rush. We just weren't trying to rush. Almost half our rushing attempts came in the fourth quarter. We weren't getting the 32 yard AE breakouts all game, but I thought we effectively were moving the ball on the ground, it was just the passing game was there and so we were using it.

Yeah we had a couple for losses, but we were also getting 8 yards here, 11 yards there....I think when it starts getting nasty weather wise and you have a lead keep the ball on the ground and burn some clock.

Regardless, I'm still happy Moore gave a big FU to the coach at the end of the game. That was classic. xlolx

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 07:58 AM
App98:
Armchair QB-ing again? We did not milk the clock with the run because SCSU's D was darn good against the run. That leaves the pass, so that's what we did. It made sense to me. Try to understand.

no no...Armchair Coaching again.

ASUPATCH
November 30th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Im with 98 on this. We actually ran the ball just fine. JJ and Wleton averaged 5.3, and 5 ypc respectively. Wasn't a huge fan of the play calling. Maybe they stayed away from it to save Armanti....who knows? But it wasn't due to the SCSU run D.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Richmond has an excellent defense. I believe ASU will be up against a better pass defense (coverage wise) than SCSU, but I don't think Richmond's defensive line will be as good as SCSU's. SCSU's line play and overall team speed was much better than people gave them credit.

If ASU can get healthy (Radford, Love, Bennett) they can get back on a roll. I hope ESPN makes this a night game, our team seems to love those.

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Im with 98 on this. We actually ran the ball just fine. JJ and Wleton averaged 5.3, and 5 ypc respectively. Wasn't a huge fan of the play calling. Maybe they stayed away from it to save Armanti....who knows? But it wasn't due to the SCSU run D.

Very well could be saving AE because I'm with you. I'm trying to see where their run D was stopping us and just don't see it at all. Yeah we had a couple rushes for loss in the first half but we were moving it just fine. AE had a 16 yarder, an 11 yarder, an 8 yarder....but we weren't even trying to run the ball. Maybe that is people think they were stopping it. I think we rushed maybe 12 times in the first half?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Remember that Hightower had a bum wheel when we played you guys last year. Most of the damage was done through the air.

ASU88
November 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that LSU's defense is every bit as good as Richmond's.
xlolx

Scary game for App St., but they all are for everyone at this point, aren't they?

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Seems like there is some revisionist history going on here. Hightower really didn't "torch" App last year. In fact, he was banged up coming into the game and only rushed for 95 yards on 22 carries, about a quarter of which came on one run. He also scored zero TDs. So if you're thinking losing him will hurt us this year, it's not really a valid argument in that sense.

Our defense obviously was overpowered last year, and I don't know that having Logan and Sidbury would have won us the game, but I do know they will make a big difference this year.

No offense to SC State, but we have played a much more challenging list of opponents -- including 4 playoff teams, UVA, Elon and W&M -- and still have the #5 total defense in the nation and the tops among all playoff teams. (We allow 251 total yards a game; SC State is 11 at 272 and UNI is #18 at 299).

So, this will be the best defense App has faced this year aside from LSU. Whether we are able to hold them under 30 or not will determine whether we win the game. I feel with what we saw yesterday, we can score 30+ against them. We would have won the JMU game had we been able to keep them below 30, which we did for all but 53 seconds. That's the key Saturday too.

Longhorn
November 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Richmond has an excellent defense...but I don't think Richmond's defensive line will be as good as SCSU's.

xeekx Richmond boasts two all-CAA line on D....and they're as good as advertised. Not to take anything away from the MEAC Champs, but UR's Lawrence Sidbury (1st team all-CAA) is hell on two feet, and IMO Sherman Logan (2nd team all-CAA) is actually the better player, and is a man amongst boys when on the field. Together they can dominate the line of scrimmage and wreck pure havoc in the backfield of an opponent.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Having both of our safeties healthy this year should also help.

We will probably be without our 3rd Cornerback and possibly our Fullback. Other than that, we seem healthy.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Richmond has an excellent defense. I believe ASU will be up against a better pass defense (coverage wise) than SCSU, but I don't think Richmond's defensive line will be as good as SCSU's. SCSU's line play and overall team speed was much better than people gave them credit.

If ASU can get healthy (Radford, Love, Bennett) they can get back on a roll. I hope ESPN makes this a night game, our team seems to love those.

I see that Radford is a RB, Love a DB and Bennett at DL. Are they critical players? How banged up?

Grabholdofyosef
November 30th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I see that Radford is a RB, Love a DB and Bennett at DL. Are they critical players? How banged up?
Our #1 RB moore is out for the year and welton and radford who were 2 and 2A have been banged up for several weeks. Bennett is a starter at DL and love is a veteran presence (SR) and starter in the defensive backfield who has been out for several games. We have depth at all these positions, but the problem with these injuries is that now the 3rd level is the main back ups and so on. I heard radford may be back this week. Bennett and love played against SCSU but are still banged up. Bennett got hurt again in the game but i dont know to what extent.

appchuck
November 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Have to go with the homer pick.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 08:57 AM
That's true, but you guys also lost the Arizona Cardinals starting running back Tim Hightower who tore up our D last year. Thankfully, he's gone, he was straight up nasty. It should be interesting, but if we can get Armanti out of the pocket to pass, we may be able to negate the DEs pressure.

Huh? As I recall, Hightower did not get 100 yds. last year in Boone. But, there've been a bunch of games since then. Maybe I just am comparing him to what AE did to his D.

jmu_duke07
November 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Total Defense:

4. South Carolina State
5. Richmond

This may be true, but look at where these numbers are coming from... MEAC an not the CAA. xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
This may be true, but look at where these numbers are coming from... MEAC an not the CAA. xthumbsupx

And as I posted above, after yesterday, SC State dropped to 11 while Richmond remained #5 in total D.

CatfishKhan
November 30th, 2008, 09:29 AM
And as I posted above, after yesterday, SC State dropped to 11 while Richmond remained #5 in total D.

Now the question is, where will the Richmond defense be ranked after next Saturday?

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM

After yesterday SCSU played ASU and AE passed for 400+ yards.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Radford is probably the fastest player on the team and has had 4 plays of over 50 yards this year. I think he should be available as he's rested the past 3 weeks.

Love is a great run stopping safety, but ASU doesn't lose much from a pass coverage perspective with Dowda.

Bennett is my biggest concern as he is a solid DT that can plug up the hole when healthy. He played yesterday and will be ready to go this week.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
xeekx Richmond boasts two all-CAA line on D....and they're as good as advertised. Not to take anything away from the MEAC Champs, but UR's Lawrence Sidbury (1st team all-CAA) is hell on two feet, and IMO Sherman Logan (2nd team all-CAA) is actually the better player, and is a man amongst boys when on the field. Together they can dominate the line of scrimmage and wreck pure havoc in the backfield of an opponent.

Did you watch the game yesterday SCSUs d-line was in the backfield all day long. They put more pressure on AE than any team this year, including LSU. They are 4th in the nation in tackles for loss and 6th in sacks. Richmond may have better defensive ends, but as a whole SCSU's d-line may be better.

DTSpider
November 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I can only compare Richmond to what they were last year...and I feel good about it. Here's why.

Last year Richmond went into Boone with 1 healthy safety, 4 linebackers & 5 defensive linemen. UR played the whole game with one safety having a high ankle sprain and the other in his first career start. The linebackers & defensive linemen couldn't rotate out at all. This year, Richmond's secondary has gotten much faster compared to last years version and we have more depth. The d-line is also much improved in terms of the guys who are healthy.

However, here's where I'm concerned. Only 2 teams have been able to move the ball at all this year, but they were Nova & JMU...and ASU's spread will create spacing and get yards as well.

On offense, Ward is playing much better and now has 2 legitimate threats on the outside with Grayson & Gray.

catamount man
November 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Richmond wins 23-17. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

APPdopted
November 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Aside from the score or who will win, I just wanna see an 8-legged mascot this year! that's all. Thanks!

App pulls away late to win by 14.

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I can only compare Richmond to what they were last year...and I feel good about it. Here's why.

Last year Richmond went into Boone with 1 healthy safety, 4 linebackers & 5 defensive linemen. UR played the whole game with one safety having a high ankle sprain and the other in his first career start. The linebackers & defensive linemen couldn't rotate out at all. This year, Richmond's secondary has gotten much faster compared to last years version and we have more depth. The d-line is also much improved in terms of the guys who are healthy.

However, here's where I'm concerned. Only 2 teams have been able to move the ball at all this year, but they were Nova & JMU...and ASU's spread will create spacing and get yards as well.

On offense, Ward is playing much better and now has 2 legitimate threats on the outside with Grayson & Gray.

Excellent synopsis. I would be shocked if App put up 55 on us again this time, but not because I don't think they are capable -- clearly they are. That said, the only way they score over 35 is if our offense gives up turnovers and/or goes 3-and-out a lot and forces the D to stay on the field too long, which is what happened in the second half vs. W&M and the first half vs. EKU yesterday.

MacThor

You do realize that Hightower was a game-time decision last year?

Whether Crone plays or not is huge. Vaughan has not been the same without him, and Hightower missed him last year when Crone was hurt. I'm not optimistic -- Crone was in a walking cast on the sideline yesterday.

Eight Legger
Aside from the score or who will win, I just wanna see an 8-legged mascot this year! that's all. Thanks!

App pulls away late to win by 14.

Come find me in the visitors' section. I'll let you shake all eight of my legs.

Eight Legger
November 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Whether Crone plays or not is huge. Vaughan has not been the same without him, and Hightower missed him last year when Crone was hurt. I'm not optimistic -- Crone was in a walking cast on the sideline yesterday.

Crone is quoted in the RTD today as saying that he'll play next week. I hope so!

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Excellent synopsis. I would be shocked if App put up 55 on us again this time, but not because I don't think they are capable -- clearly they are. That said, the only way they score over 35 is if our offense gives up turnovers and/or goes 3-and-out a lot and forces the D to stay on the field too long, which is what happened in the second half vs. W&M and the first half vs. EKU yesterday.

I don't think ASU scores 55 on Richmond either. Unless AE gets in a zone like he was against you guys or Wofford this year it should be a close one. I just hope ASU's defense steps up, I believe that ASU's D vs. Richmond's O is the bigger matchup. ASU is going to score at least 20 something points it's whether ASU can stop Richmond.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xrotatehx xnonox

Mntneer
November 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM

xlolx Seriously though, do you guys have a Spider costume? Just curious, I like unique mascots and I think a Spider is a pretty cool choice.

Spider
November 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
SPIDAHS win in a close game.....xthumbsupx

AppAlum
November 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Do we know if this game is televised?

App in a blowout, hopefully

URMite
November 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
xlolx Seriously though, do you guys have a Spider costume? Just curious, I like unique mascots and I think a Spider is a pretty cool choice.

We had one with 6 arms & 2 legs. But then they changed the head to the baltimore oriole. And now it is hornet/wasp looking thing.

Btw wasn't this poll 50-53? It looks like we are losing the western vote.

MacThor
November 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Our Spider mascot's costume is pretty lame. You're not missing much.

I see two keys for the Spiders next week.

1) Better blocking. Hopefully Crone is back as he is key to opening up holes for Vaughan, and pass protection/outlet receiver for Ward. The OL needs to step up their game (it looks like they got a good talking-to after the first half yesterday).

2) Backfield tackling. I lost count of how many times we had a sack or TFL and the EKU player slipped through our grasp. AE and the ASU backs bring slippery to a whole new level. We simply cannot allow ASU to turn "should be losses" into gains very often. If you recall, the key play of last year's semifinal was after UR had tied it @35, ASU faced a 3rd & 12 and UR had the momentum. AE broke free from a sack and took it 20+ yards for a first down. That play reversed all the mo' and the wheels fell off for the Spiders from there.

If UR is the team that showed up against W&M and the first half yesterday, we're toast. If we see yesterday's 2nd-half team, the team we've seen most of the season -- we've got a shot not just next week but at Chattanooga.

URMite
November 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
What did Elon do to keep it close? That might be useful.

ericsaid
November 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
If Devin Radford is back I believe App will win by 2+ TD's. If he doesn't play then I expect App to win by 2 TD's. We miss his big play possibilities dearly.

Monarch History
November 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I think the game will be close but ASU wins at home 24-21.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Remember that Hightower had a bum wheel when we played you guys last year. Most of the damage was done through the air.

208 yards passing
194 yards rushing (not all by Hightower--he had just under 100)

If you judge the damage by points, sure. But, without the rushing, you guys wouldn't have been able to pass.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Huh? As I recall, Hightower did not get 100 yds. last year in Boone. But, there've been a bunch of games since then. Maybe I just am comparing him to what AE did to his D.

208 yards passing

If you judge the damage by points, sure. But, without the rushing, you guys wouldn't have been able to pass.

I don't know what I was thinking. I mean, he's only a starter in the NFL.

I think his presence alone benefited Richmond, much like Richie in 2005. He [Richie] was not to play and didn't start, but he came in (without great stats) and won the NC.

All I said was I am glad he won't be there...please, show me, where in the world I stated he was the reason Appalachian will win (I didn't even make a damn prediction--and won't). Can't do it, I know.

I'm not trying to justify why App or Richmond will win or lose. I just said I'm glad he won't be there. People, calm down and be men.

Next time I'll refrain from complimenting Richmond or the players. xsmhx

MaxASU'81
November 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Neither did Brian Quick!xwhistlex

BearGibson
November 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The Mountaineers will win 45-28. Richmond won't be able to stop Edwards or their receivers. The Rock will be crazy, especially if its a night game (which I think there is a good chance it will be), and its gonna be cold.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM
208 yards passing

I don't know what I was thinking. I mean, he's only a starter in the NFL.

I think his presence alone benefited Richmond, much like Richie in 2005. He [Richie] was not to play and didn't start, but he came in (without great stats) and won the NC.

All I said was I am glad he won't be there...please, show me, where in the world I stated he was the reason Appalachian will win (I didn't even make a damn prediction--and won't). Can't do it, I know.

I'm not trying to justify why App or Richmond will win or lose. I just said I'm glad he won't be there. People, calm down and be men.

Next time I'll refrain from complimenting Richmond or the players. xsmhx

I'm calm and I'm a man. Are you?

I was just pointing out that Hightower didn't tear you up last year. Besides the 1 run, he was basically bottled up.

AppStateSVX
November 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM
going to be a great game. I have been looking forward to this game. Bring on the CAA!!!! just not your officials. I'm pretty sure that the CAA officials are even worse than the SoCon, which I thought i would never be able to say. Both conferences need to fix this problem in the offseason. Not slamming either conference, as both are clearly a level above the others

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I'm calm and I'm a man. Are you? xlolx

I was just pointing out that Hightower didn't tear you up last year. Besides the 1 run, he was basically bottled up.

And, not once, did I say he did tear ASU up.

All I said was the biggest stat was that he would not be back. He was a great player (dinged up or not). It was a compliment to him and Richmond. Apparently, you construed that to mean that he alone scored 35 points on ASU last year and the fact he is gone I was guaranteeing an ASU victory...NOPE.

I was just pointing out the best player on your team last year won't be back.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM

?

gofurman
November 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Total Defense:

4. South Carolina State
5. Richmond

IF that is national rankings - I don't know where it is from -

then Richmond would be better than SC State by virtue of opponents ... MEAC v CAA? c'mon. And I am a Socon guy but the CAA is clearly top notch.

however I was impressed with SC State's front four - they got into AEs face more than most and caused trouble.

gofurman
November 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Right, but allow them in there for the first 3 quarters and then the rest of the 4th and see what happens. As I said, I am not optimistic at Rock but happy we will at least see those two face AE. Hopefully Crone, as well.

What starters/ (at what positions) is Richmond missing ?
What position does Crone play?

Thanks for the info.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
?

xlolx he did for those 95 yards. In my opinion, opening up the door for the other 99 yards of rushing offense. Unless that's the only ASU game you saw last year, our rushing defense was the biggest problem. We lost our entire starting secondary from last season. Richmond had just as many yards passing as rushing. I made a mistake attributing all of those yards to Hightower (feel better?) I need to remember everything I type xlolx. Out of those 4 running backs who accumulated yards rushing against ASU last year, how many are still there? I have no idea, that's why I'm asking.

Is it ok if I continue to feel confident that the game will be close and hoping ASU pulls out the W?

Again, I will refrain from commenting further as to not discredit, unintentionally, Richmond's football team. xpeacex

spdram
November 30th, 2008, 11:48 AM
There was a Hampton player at our game yesterday. I got a chance to speak to him after the game, the group was discussing the SCSt v ASU game and he said he was not surprised by SCSt making a game of it. He said SCSt has a very fast D, but he thought UR's D was faster overall.

Skjellyfetti
November 30th, 2008, 11:49 AM
IF that is national rankings - I don't know where it is from -

then Richmond would be better than SC State by virtue of opponents ... MEAC v CAA? c'mon. And I am a Socon guy but the CAA is clearly top notch.

however I was impressed with SC State's front four - they got into AEs face more than most and caused trouble.

It was the national total defense rankings yesterday from the NCAA website. They have been updated now after yesterday's game.

I was impressed with SC State, too. That was my point.

ejjones
November 30th, 2008, 11:55 AM
gotta go with my homer pick obviously. asu tends to play down to the competition and that was evident today, i fully expect them to play better next week....they have to if they want to win. grayson, ward, and vaughan are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

play down to competition huh..........another asu fan who don't understands a good opponent.

MaxASU'81
November 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Offensive POY, Edwards, ASU
Defensive POY, Roman, ASU

All Conf. Offense First Team
QB Armanti Edwards, Jr., Appalachian State
OL Jon Bieschke, Sr., Appalachian State
OL Brad Coley, Sr., Appalachian State
TE Ben Jorden, Fr., Appalachian State

Second Team
OL Mario Acitelli, Jr., Appalachian State
OL Daniel Kilgore, So., Appalachian State

All Conf. Defense First Team
DL Jabari Fletcher, So., Appalachian State
LB Jacque Roman, Jr., Appalachian State
LB Pierre Banks, Sr., Appalachian State
DB Cortez Gilbert, Jr., Appalachian State
DB Mark LeGree, So., Appalachian State

Second Team

DL Anthony Williams, Jr., Appalachian State
LB D.J. Smith, So., Appalachian State

I'd say if you are basing your beliefs on All Conf. Selections you should be afraid, very afraid.

Plus, the young kids we have had to play on Defense are no longer young. Gainey Tanyi, White, or unhealthy Love

Also, we spread the ball around to so many wide receivers because we can! We may be hard pressed to have an all-conference selection.

We are not scared....we will be the ones with the Block A and all black unis. We will not be hard to find!

ejjones
November 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Did you watch the game yesterday SCSUs d-line was in the backfield all day long. They put more pressure on AE than any team this year, including LSU. They are 4th in the nation in tackles for loss and 6th in sacks. Richmond may have better defensive ends, but as a whole SCSU's d-line may be better.

Did you also notice there was no offensive holding calls all game. CAA officiating sucks, I thought the MEAC was bad, but you're not going to hold all game and get away with it.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Did you also notice there was no offensive holding calls all game. CAA officiating sucks, I thought the MEAC was bad, but you're not going to hold all game and get away with it.

Yeah, both teams got away with a ton of holds.

james_lawfirm
November 30th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Yes, there were. SCSU #50 was cited three times.

MaxASU'81
November 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, there were. SCSU #50 was cited three times.

And it could have been EVERY PLAY! FOR HIM. I did not see a play where Fletcher was matched up on him that he did not nearly tackle Jabari!

ur2k
November 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
xlolx he did for those 95 yards. In my opinion, opening up the door for the other 99 yards of rushing offense. Unless that's the only ASU game you saw last year, our rushing defense was the biggest problem. We lost our entire starting secondary from last season. Richmond had just as many yards passing as rushing. I made a mistake attributing all of those yards to Hightower (feel better?) I need to remember everything I type xlolx. Out of those 4 running backs who accumulated yards rushing against ASU last year, how many are still there? I have no idea, that's why I'm asking.

Is it ok if I continue to feel confident that the game will be close and hoping ASU pulls out the W?

Again, I will refrain from commenting further as to not discredit, unintentionally, Richmond's football team. xpeacex

Josh Vaughan was Hightower's primary back-up last year and is our starting RB/leading rusher this year and is a load like Hightower.

To answer another poster's question - Crone is our FB and key component to our running game.

CrackerRiley
November 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM
xhomerx

reason... well, you know xwhistlex i like ASU

redspider
November 30th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well I actually think App has the edge in this one they are just sooo fast and we have issues against mobile quarterbacks. But I sitll had to pick the Spiders have to always go with your team. I think that the keys to us winning are being able to establish the run have, solid quaterback play nothing flashy, and then the defense containeing Armanti ok I will say it a the defense containing armanti if we let him get on a roll we are done because we cant score with app state.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM

It would have made a difference- ASU would have won by a TD or 2 instead of 3.

UR with Sidbury (1st team All CAA) and Logan (2nd team All CAA) might have the best pair of bookends in the country.

JMU is close with Abdul Wahid (2nd Team All CAA) and Moats (3rd team).

Edge316007
November 30th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Maine 7 at UNH 34

How is Villanova and JMU going to end on a 1 point game in OT? Are they going to miss an extra point to lose the game or is Villanova going to go for 2?

And who tries to milk the clock in the 3rd quarter up by only 10? That doesn't make any sense.

dgreco
November 30th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Richmond for 3 CAA teams in the semifinals

spiderman87
November 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM
there is a strong possibility that UR might be without their #1 linebacker, McConaghy again this week. If he does play, he might be at 70%. It always hurts to have the leadership of the defense out

spdram
November 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Going with the homer pick here for my Spiders, after all ASU cannot win forever at home and now is as good a time as any to break that string.

appstate38
November 30th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I have read most of this thread and I come get one conclusion from my app homers and the haters alike. Richmond has a good defense. One thing I would like to point out. AE passed for over 400 yards yesterday. Our O-line is healthy and I don't know if UR can cover all the passing threats. Especially with our TE playing a big part of the offense. The funny thing about it is... the Apps can beat teams running and throwing. SCSU didn't shut down the run. ASU decided as a matter of game plan to throw. So the question is for the UR defense, what do you concentrate on??? The run or the pass. I expect a great one, but once again I find it funny that the Apps somehow won't be able to rise to the next challenge on the schedule. Experience counts and we have plenty of it. We didn't play anything close to our best and we still won going away. I will take an ugly win any day of the week.

apppackdad
November 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Richmond -Hightower -Clawson xsmhx
App + Edwards + Moore +The Rock xnodx
Result= App 41 UR 28xthumbsupx

StrikeJMU
November 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Going with the homer pick here for my Spiders, after all ASU cannot win forever at home and now is as good a time as any to break that string.

perfectly put.

Go Dukes!

appstate1998
November 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM
How is Villanova and JMU going to end on a 1 point game in OT? Are they going to miss an extra point to lose the game or is Villanova going to go for 2?

And who tries to milk the clock in the 3rd quarter up by only 10? That doesn't make any sense.

i figured it would be 13-13 going into overtime....and are you kidding me about milking the clock. When you have bad weather....in the playoffs and halfway through the 3rd...why wouldn't you want to take a little time off the clock? I wasn't saying take a knee....I was just saying not throw it on first down and try to take some time off the clock.

We won and that's all that matters, so there isn't really anything to get in a fuss about, but I would have rather tried to rush a little, get a few first downs instead of going 3 and out and having a punt blocked. xdeadhorsex

Bettina90
November 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
perfectly put.

Go Dukes!

I agree but unfortunately that's my strongest angle. Unfotunately the time they lose just might be in the Post-AE era. I hate that the D will not be at 100% but that's to be expected at this time of year.

What is McConaghy's injury again?

Edge316007
November 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
perfectly put.

Go Dukes!

They lost last year to GSU

StrikeJMU
November 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
They lost last year to GSU

not in the playoffs.

DTSpider
November 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
What is McConaghy's injury again?

I believe it's a separated shoulder & a dislocated elbow.

I actually expect him back next week. He dressed against EKU and could have played in an emergency.

Crone said that he's playing no matter what. I expect him to suit up as well. 5th year senior captains are tough to keep out of big games.

Any word on the time yet? Day time I think the spiders have a chance, playing at night is a 10 point advantage for ASU.

MacThor
November 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
McConaghy's been out for a while, and the defense has continued playing at a high level. 49-yd FG and a QB sneak TD (which immediately followed that 50-yd-can't-believe-they-completed-it hail mary heave) against EKU is a good showing.

The game is at noon.

DX Man
November 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Richmond will keep it close in the first half, but ASU will pull ahead after making some half-time adjustments.xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
App by 11.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 04:54 PM
McConaghy's been out for a while, and the defense has continued playing at a high level. 49-yd FG and a QB sneak TD (which immediately followed that 50-yd-can't-believe-they-completed-it hail mary heave) against EKU is a good showing.

The game is at noon.

Weldon has filled in admirably. I actually think Weldon runs better than McGonaghy. He has also had a couple impressive interceptions. The one against Delaware was highlight reel caliber.

spiderman87
November 30th, 2008, 04:56 PM
torn cartiledge in his elbow as well as chipped bone floating around...not good. he was on the sideline last weekend but i think only for an extreme circumstance. i think we have great LB replacements though, so everything should pan-out

BeauFoster
November 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
torn cartiledge in his elbow as well as chipped bone floating around...not good. he was on the sideline last weekend but i think only for an extreme circumstance. i think we have great LB replacements though, so everything should pan-out

Good lord I bet that hurts. I had tennis elbow once and couldn't stand to move my arm - I can't imagine the pain that young man must feel every minute (except when he's doped up on cortisone).

Saint3333
November 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Objects in motion tend to stay in motion.

HiHiYikas
November 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I had the pleasure of finally seeing Richmond play in Richmond this season. They're an impressive team, and, like ASU, they made JMU look beatable for a good bit of the game.

Having seen both ASU and UR play in person against JMU, I'll offer this prediction:

ASU 21
UR 17
Scotty McGee 28

Scotty moves on to the semis, but loses, saving him the trouble of facing his own tea, single-handedly in the championship.

Seriously, everything Richmond's got < everything ASU's got. Anybody pointing out the fact that either team has outstanding players, a powerful D, multiple threats on offense, etc. might need to be reminded that this is the quarterfinals, and everybody's pretty great just to be here.

I figure ASU's edge is worth about 10 points if both teams play flawlessly. If ASU starts forcing mistakes, it could be 21 points. If Richmond starts forcing mistakes, they'll wind up anywhere between 7 points up and 4 points down at the end of 4 quarters.

ncman071
November 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
i have to go with my gut on this one...and trust me i have one heck of a gut...

APP 38
Spidey's 33

I'm slightly concerned...should be a great game at THE ROCK!!!

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I had the pleasure of finally seeing Richmond play in Richmond this season. They're an impressive team, and, like ASU, they made JMU look beatable for a good bit of the game.

Having seen both ASU and UR play in person against JMU, I'll offer this prediction:

ASU 21
UR 17
Scotty McGee 28

Scotty moves on to the semis, but loses, saving him the trouble of facing his own tea, single-handedly in the championship.

Seriously, everything Richmond's got < everything ASU's got. Anybody pointing out the fact that either team has outstanding players, a powerful D, multiple threats on offense, etc. might need to be reminded that this is the quarterfinals, and everybody's pretty great just to be here.

I figure ASU's edge is worth about 10 points if both teams play flawlessly. If ASU starts forcing mistakes, it could be 21 points. If Richmond starts forcing mistakes, they'll wind up anywhere between 7 points up and 4 points down at the end of 4 quarters.

Great post! xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM

I swear I'm the only person on this board who doesn't care about the rest of my team's conference xlolx

Or maybe I should say, only one team is my concern

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think you have to pick App State because they're playing at home and they have the psychological "expect to win" edge after their success in the playoffs in recent years. But this, to me, is a very interesting matchup. I think Richmond may be much better on defense than it was last year. I hope I can find this one at TV.

ericsaid
November 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I personally don't think UR's offense can keep up with ASU's offense because Appa D can stop UR enough to win and UR will stop ASU eventually I say 2+ TD's ASU.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I swear I'm the only person on this board who doesn't care about the rest of my team's conference xlolx

No, you have a partner in crime. Unless they're playing FBS (or their win can benefit ASU in some way), I don't pull for them...especially GSU. xnodx

T-Dog
November 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Another factor that will come into play, the weather.

Early forecasting has it as around mid-low 30's at kickoff with it dropping through the game to the 20's.

Also in the forecast, SNOW!

BearGibson
November 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Richmond won't stop App's passing attack.

So...they better be ready to score a lot of points.

BlueHen86
November 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'd love to see an upset here. But I had to pick ASU.

neer09
November 30th, 2008, 09:18 PM
if it does snow, which team will benefit most from the slippery conditions?

hApPYaPpYFan
November 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I'll bet JM has the Apps practicing out in the cold, wet weather all week to get ready for this one.

thmst30
November 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM
This game actually scares me a good bit. We haven't been playing our best for a few weeks now, and we will need to fire on all cylinders for this one. Richmond will give us a scare, and VERY possibly could be the ones to end the streak. Seriously.

AppStateSVX
November 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I don't understand, App is playing VERY well right now. Armanti just set a record for passing yards! No, we aren't pummeling teams like the App crowd (myself included) is used to, but we are winning games under brutal conditions. Despite a few stupid mistakes each week, we are still battling through it.

i don't like the trend i'm seeing among the boards where App "is falling out" simply b/c we aren't completely blowing out every team we're playing. How about JMU squeaaaaking by a Wofford team App tore apart? Like many have said, App will find a way to win - we have players that will leave everything out there in order to get the W

BULLDOG8180
November 30th, 2008, 11:22 PM

Yeah? But the big10 stinks!!

B&G
November 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I've been pretty good this year at pinpointing when ASU will be playing well or playing sloppy. Unfortunately for Richmond, I think they will be playing an App team clicking on all cylinders. Here's why...

1) The Rock will pick up in intensity. It will go from a Thanksgiving weekend "sell out" to a legit capacity crowd which will be buzzing.

2) I feel ASU will be amped up by the way they ended the game with SCSU. That was one of the biggest "Eff You" moments I have ever seen in a football game and I think it will give them a big boost.

... this one just feels like one of those games where App will get all of the bounces. If I'm wrong, then I'll be wrong. But I predict ASU by 12.

BearGibson
November 30th, 2008, 11:35 PM
if it does snow, which team will benefit most from the slippery conditions?

Appalachian. They are used to the weather.

AppAlum96
December 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
No, you have a partner in crime. Unless they're playing FBS (or their win can benefit ASU in some way), I don't pull for them...especially GSU. xnodx

Any time a team your team beats beats another team, it elevates your team. For this reason, any time a conference mate beats a non-conference team, it elevates your conference, then, if your team beats them, your team benefits from all their victories as well.

Does this make any sense? To simplify: Any win by a team you have beaten makes your win that much bigger. So you should always pull for your conference against non-conference foes, because their wins benefit your standing.

ChubbyCherub
December 1st, 2008, 12:16 AM
how about lets just beat everyone and let everyone else worry about themselves

Silenoz
December 1st, 2008, 12:26 AM
Any time a team your team beats beats another team, it elevates your team. For this reason, any time a conference mate beats a non-conference team, it elevates your conference, then, if your team beats them, your team benefits from all their victories as well.

Does this make any sense? To simplify: Any win by a team you have beaten makes your win that much bigger. So you should always pull for your conference against non-conference foes, because their wins benefit your standing.
I figure that's a lot more important in FBS where you need to run the table (or at least come close), and play some quality teams in order to make the BCS championship. For FCS, if you're a good team, and you take care of business, you're going to the playoffs. If you have the facilities, you're getting a home game. Doesn't mean I wanted Northern Arizona in the playoffs, or was rooting for Weber to beat Cal Poly to "represent the Big Sky". If you're good enough to win it all, it doesn't matter what everyone else does.

KiddBrewer
December 1st, 2008, 12:31 AM
this is gonna be a heck of a game. i am cautiously confident, but Richmond scares me a bit in the back of my mind....

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2008, 04:52 AM

There are no standings in the playoffs. If I have a rivalry with a team I'm not rooting for them. The SoCon was down this year and we're still #2, so I assume that theory isn't relevant this year.

appirishmen
December 1st, 2008, 07:51 AM
guys idk about this one. if app plays like they did against SCSU, i think this one will be close. they cant seem to play a full game or a game without a lot of mistakes. and the big thing will be if AE or a running back is good to go 100%. Richmond is good so lets not over look any of the teams left. i say if App plays its game, we win by 2 TDs, if not a close one with a toss up.

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
I can see Richmond winning this game. I can also see ASU winning this game. I think it's going to be a battle. I never make predictions, and won't start now, but it appears to be shaping up to be a tight game.

AshevilleApp2
December 1st, 2008, 07:53 AM
Should be a great game. Home team in a close one.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
my guess is this has been posted elsewhere on here but is anyone else ready to see what he can do this year???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q

Bettina90
December 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
Can someone give a synopsis of what happened at the end of the SCSU game that resulted in Coach's not shaking hands and it being "the biggest FU moment ever"?

Please limit it it to those of you that seem to have passed a freshman english and typing course, which is most.

apppackdad
December 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Deja vu all over again.

Appalachian will lose because:

1.) Opponent( insert UR, SCSU, So. Ill., Youngstown, Furman, et al) has an awsome defense with DE's who will contain Armanti; DT's/LB's who will stuff all attempts at a run game; DB's who can cover anyone south of Jerry Rice/TO, while offering sure tackling support to the run game.

2.) Opponent(insert all above) has bone crushing run game with large, fast RB's operating behind a massive offensive line that will keep the Mountaineer offense off the field for long stretches of the game.
xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

BeauFoster
December 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Quickly - ASU takes over on downs, about 2:20 to go in the game. SCSU is down 10 with all 3 TOs remaining. ASU runs the ball several times, gets a first down without SCSU using any of the 3 TOs. After a second down run, SCSU calls their first TO with 18.5 remaining. The players were already shaking hands and the ASU coaching staff was coming onto the field to shake hands with the SCSU staff. App lines up, runs the ball up the middle again and the second TO is called, 12 seconds remaining, 4th and 4.

AE looks to Brian Quick before the snap, Quick runs a post and is hit with a 33 yard bomb. 4 seconds remain. ASU kicks off, SCSU takes over and then takes a knee on first down to end the game.

DX Man
December 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM
Can someone give a synopsis of what happened at the end of the SCSU game that resulted in Coach's not shaking hands and it being "the biggest FU moment ever"?

Please limit it it to those of you that seem to have passed a freshman english and typing course, which is most.

You must have missed it. Coach Moore was talking with some of the officials immediately after the game finally ended. Coach Pough (SCSU) showed a lot of class by patiently waiting on him to finish and then the two of them shook hands.xthumbsupx

B&G
December 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM

My colleague gave you the numbers but I don't think it really has the "FU" impact...

Basically it looked like SCSU was going to concede the game and not call their remaining timeouts as APP called all running plays to kill the clock. Inexplicably SCSU decided to call the TO with 18 seconds left. The look on our players and coaches faces were that of a WTF situation. As was said, Coach Moore was halfway across the field to shake hands. When SCSU's coach called the 2nd TO, that's when it really looked like he was being a jerk and not just eccentric.

In response to the perceived disrespect, APP threw a bomb to the end zone on 4th down with the game in hand. Brian Quick makes a great catch snatching the ball from the defender. ASU then spills out onto the field to celebrate and the crowd exploded (figuratively speaking of course).

APP got a celebration penalty but also got a whole lot of swagger that, in my opinion, should carry over to the UR game. Like I said, it's a hunch and certainly not scientific fact. xpeacex

19Duke97
December 1st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Total Defense:

4. South Carolina State
5. Richmond

No comparison in quality of opponents though. UR has a better defense i would imagine than SCSU.

Appguy
December 1st, 2008, 09:38 AM
No comparison in quality of opponents though. UR has a better defense i would imagine than SCSU.
indeed, there won't be a comparison of quality if Richmond's Defense has an outing anything like last years. SCSU's would a decent amount better!
heres to more of the Armanti Show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q&feature=related

19Duke97
December 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM
Richmond can run the ball, and Ward is a surprisingly good QB, but this is at App. I like App by 1 TD in a tough fought win. 38-31

asucrutch23
December 1st, 2008, 09:43 AM
Richmond can run the ball, and Ward is a surprisingly good QB, but this is at App. I like App by 1 TD in a tough fought win. 38-31

Yeah, I agree. Richmond will be up 8 with a minute or so left to play. App will score, get the 2 point conversion, stop the Spiders, and return a punt for a touchdown on the game's final play. xsmiley_wix

B&G
December 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM

SCSU's defense was the real deal. They ended the regular season with three shutouts. Even against bad competition that is impressive. They held down UCF very well and were in that game until the end. They only gave up 13 pts to Hampton who scored 31 on SIU.

I can't compare it to Richmond. But I can say SCSU's defense was very good this season.

lizrdgizrd
December 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I had to vote App. Playoffs + Kidd Brewer = W.

asucrutch23
December 1st, 2008, 09:49 AM
I had to vote App. Playoffs + Kidd Brewer = W.

Yeah, plus I've only missed one home game in my 4 years here. It was Georgia Southern in 2007. I'll be there this weekend. No chance for the Arachnids. xsmiley_wix

Eight Legger
December 1st, 2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I agree. Richmond will be up 8 with a minute or so left to play. App will score, get the 2 point conversion even though the ball clearly hit the turf, but no official felt like calling it incomplete, stop the Spiders, and return a punt for a touchdown on the game's final play. xsmiley_wix

Fixed it.

B&G
December 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Fixed it.

Oh, so the CAA officials will be working this game? xlolx

asucrutch23
December 1st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Fixed it.

Details, details. xsmiley_wix

All kidding aside, best of luck to the Spiders in Boone. I wouldn't wish that outcome on anyone twice in a season.

I guess I'll just change my prediction to 55-35. xlolx xlolx

Rekdiver
December 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
This will be ASU's toughest test to date. AE and our top 4 running backs are banged up. I think Dowda hurt his shoulder and one of our down linemen tweaked a knee.

42 games in three seasons....

Richmond is a better team than last year.

It's a pickem.

19Duke97
December 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I agree. Richmond will be up 8 with a minute or so left to play. App will score, get the 2 point conversion, stop the Spiders, and return a punt for a touchdown on the game's final play. xsmiley_wix

xlolx xlolx Yeah, thought the symmetry would be nice, and agreed, not sure about he 2pt conversion, 50/50, and I could not see it from my angle where I was sitting. FWIW, the CAA backed up the call later.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2008, 11:07 AM
This will be ASU's toughest test to date. AE and our top 4 running backs are banged up. I think Dowda hurt his shoulder and one of our down linemen tweaked a knee.

42 games in three seasons....

Richmond is a better team than last year.

It's a pickem.

we have played 45 games in the last three seasons... seniors that have played every game would be about to play their 59th collegiate football game against richmond!!!!!

AppSt.09
December 1st, 2008, 11:22 AM
this is gonna be a heck of a game. i am cautiously confident, but Richmond scares me a bit in the back of my mind....

Agreed!

On another note there is a chance of snow this weekend. WTF! That means that there has been rain or snow at the last three home games! But I don't expect it to affect the outcome as I will always take the Apps when we are at the Rock! I believe that we have too many weapons for UR to handle.xnodx

SpiderFan
December 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure who will come out victorious in this one, I think its really tough to call. However, I say the winner of this goes on to win the national championship.

Watch for this in the game as it happened quite a bit last year...even though Sidbury and Logan are the bookends, one of the things that killed us late last year and helped AE put up all those rushing yards were him stepping up in the pocket after our ends were coming around the outside and then he would take off for huge chunks of yards. Let's see if Coach London comes up with something to stop that this year.

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure who will come out victorious in this one, I think its really tough to call. However, I say the winner of this goes on to win the national championship.

Watch for this in the game as it happened quite a bit last year...even though Sidbury and Logan are the bookends, one of the things that killed us late last year and helped AE put up all those rushing yards were him stepping up in the pocket after our ends were coming around the outside and then he would take off for huge chunks of yards. Let's see if Coach London comes up with something to stop that this year.

I hope not. :D xpeacex

MacThor
December 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Just some stats to chew on from games vs. common opponents. On paper, should be pretty close.

UR @ Elon, 28-10, Total Offense 452-235
ASU vs. Elon, 24-16, Total Offense 367-361

Richmond hung a more dominant "W" at Elon.

UR vs. JMU, 31-38, Total Offense 348-322
ASU @ JMU, 32-35, Total Offense 351-302

Interesting that both teams outgained JMU in losing efforts. That Scotty McGee..........

biggie
December 1st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Just some stats to chew on from games vs. common opponents. On paper, should be pretty close.

UR @ Elon, 28-10, Total Offense 452-235
ASU vs. Elon, 24-16, Total Offense 367-361

Richmond hung a more dominant "W" at Elon.

UR vs. JMU, 31-38, Total Offense 348-322
ASU @ JMU, 32-35, Total Offense 351-302

Interesting that both teams outgained JMU in losing efforts. That Scotty McGee..........
Just a side note: Weather is a large part of the App/Elon game, mostly the 30-40mph gusts that affected the passing games.

MacThor
December 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just a side note: Weather is a large part of the App/Elon game, mostly the 30-40mph gusts that affected the passing games.

Good to know. Both teams played in the wind right? ;)

Here's an eyeopener:
Richmond @ Elon, Net Yards Rushing, 216-22

AppStateold299
December 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
What he is trying to say is that the score would have been different without the weather. The weather played a huge role in the amount of points scored.

UD97HENS
December 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM
I am rollin with App State on this one...Can you say or spell 3-peat???

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't want your conference to do well in the playoffs. When you do well you raise the overall GPI of your conference teams and further add to the accomplishments and prestiege of the conference. This helps you get more AL bids in the future and helps recruting.

I absolutely hate losing to App. and Furman, but since my team isn't in the race, why should I not want the SoCon teams to get as far as they can?

Grizaholic17
December 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't want your conference to do well in the playoffs. When you do well you raise the overall GPI of the conference teams and further add to the accomplishments and prestiege of the conference. This helps you get more AL bids in the future and helps recruting.

I absolutely hate losing to App. and Furman, but since my team isn't in the race, why should I not want the SoCon teams to get as far as they can?

Some of those teams you have rivalries with :p :p

But I am with you on this one! I wish Weber was in the other bracket so we could meet in the Championship possibly.

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
I am rollin with App State on this one...Can you say or spell 3-peat???

I think it would be a four-peat or as they say it "Four for Moore"

AppAlum96
December 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Anyone know what the TV coverage situation is?

MountaineerGuy
December 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
yes...three-peat was last year, this year is four for moore.

next year will be Live at Five

The year after will be "Shut up Georgia Southern once and for all"

If anyone has a way to rhyme "-uthern once and for all" with a number let me know, we like our stuff to rhyme.

paward
December 1st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Try using the word whereathall!

DTSpider
December 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Glad to see that this thread has regressed in discussing how ASU should name their 6th consecutive national title...

At some point I just think it's going to catch up to ASU and someone will be them in the playoffs. It may not be Richmond this year, but I think that Richmond is one of a handful of teams that have a reasonable chance of doing it. Pretty soon it just catches up with you and there's a game where you don't catch the breaks, get the spot, create the turnover, recover the fumble, catch the tipped pass, etc.

I just hope that this gets picked up on more TV stations as this could be a heck of a game.

chiapet9
December 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
If JMU wins - then I want APP State right there with us. There is no other team I'd rather play in Chattanooga than Appalachian State because if we're going to win it all - I want to say we beat the best on the way there.

If we lose - then I want someone ANYONE to beat Appalachian State because I don't think I can stand them winning 4 national championships in a row. It might make me throw up.

AppAlum96
December 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Just to tie up an earlier conversation, here's a quote from SCSU coach about the end of Saturday's game:

Pough took the blame for the late score.

"It was kind of a bonehead thing on my part," he said, referring to the timeouts. "He taught me a lesson in the end. If a guy is giving you an out, go ahead and take an out. I knew a pass was coming, and it probably made the game a little bit bigger margin than it probably should have been. It serves me right, and I just hate it for my kids."

ur2k
December 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone know what the TV coverage situation is?

I believe right now, just ESPN360.com.

Bettina90
December 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
I thought it was on Gameplan? Which can be purchased for the day? But the more I think about it, I thought last year ALL the Quarterfinal games were on that plan.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
You are right, Bettina.

MacThor
December 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Just got my weekly e-mail from coach London. He quoted Ric Flair! "If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man." He calls App St. the most complete team we have faced. No doubt.

lknspider
December 1st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Spiders were not as healthy last year coming into Boone as they are this year. Point spread favs Appy by only 4 points and that is for home field advantage. This version of the Spiders has been much better in the second half of the season....last year was just the reverse.
AE stunned the defense last year...enough said about him. Spiders win this one in the daylight!

Appstate29
December 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm not taking any bets after the huge, steaming pile that Elon laid. But if I were a betting man ASU -4 would look real tasty.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM
I'm not taking any bets after the huge, steaming pile that Elon laid. But if I were a betting man ASU -4 would look real tasty.

I agree with your assessment. That said, they say when something 'smells strange' ... you should follow the smell.

MacThor
December 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
I am a betting man, and I thought EKU +24.5 looked really tasty too.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
It's going to be interesting seeing how App handles that big physical Richmond O Line and the wrecking ball that is Josh Vaughan when he comes plowing through it.

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
Spiders were not as healthy last year coming into Boone as they are this year. Point spread favs Appy by only 4 points and that is for home field advantage. This version of the Spiders has been much better in the second half of the season....last year was just the reverse.
AE stunned the defense last year...enough said about him. Spiders win this one in the daylight!

Imagine that, considering the game is at noon. Bold prediction. xeyebrowx Keep up the great prognosticating newbie. xthumbsupx

Black and Gold Express
December 2nd, 2008, 07:20 AM

I was reminded recently of a litany of posts last year about how Richmond was the most complete defense we were going to face and how their awesome ground game was going to destroy us. How they were in fact clicking on all cylinders coming into the semifinals. Now it's that you were all banged up last year and you were in fact a shell of the team you were earlier in the year?

Please at least be consistent with your stories, or try to keep Revisionist History to a minimum this week when explaining away the beating you took at The Rock last year. As for this year, do please try and focus on Edwards running again. He's no real threat passing the ball.

purplepeopleeaterv2
December 2nd, 2008, 07:24 AM
I was reminded recently of a litany of posts last year about how Richmond was the most complete defense we were going to face and how their awesome ground game was going to destroy us. How they were in fact clicking on all cylinders coming into the semifinals. Now it's that you were all banged up last year and you were in fact a shell of the team you were earlier in the year?

Please at least be consistent with your stories, or try to keep Revisionist History to a minimum this week when explaining away the beating you took at The Rock last year. As for this year, do please try and focus on Edwards running again. He's no real threat passing the ball.

I will go out on a limb here and state that the Spiders are much improved over last year. Last year we practically handed them the game will all of our offensive turnovers and still only lost by a point. This year we played a solid game and gave them pretty much our best shot and they stood with us toe to toe. I do not believe that would have happened last year. However, they do have their moments where they just seem to daze out ie: JMU return punt or the 2nd 1/2 vs W&M. Just an outside opinion and look at things. Take it for what its worth.

Black and Gold Express
December 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
I will go out on a limb here and state that the Spiders are much improved over last year. Last year we practically handed them the game will all of our offensive turnovers and still only lost by a point. This year we played a solid game and gave them pretty much our best shot and they stood with us toe to toe. I do not believe that would have happened last year. Just an outside opinion and look at things. Take it for what its worth.

I appreciate the outsiders opinion. This is the one week that it is tough to take anything you hear about Richmond without at least a large grain of salt, in light of the complete reversal of stories regarding last year's team.

I am sure the Richmond will be on of the better teams to take the field in Boone this year. I am assuming their new coach came from the staff last year? If so then they'll play good fundamental football. The question becomes do they have the caliber of athletes to keep up with the speed ASU puts out there on both sides of the ball. I'm going to go out on a limb and think they do not. We'll know Saturday if that's accurate, and I will be interested to see if this year's team on the field actually matches the tales spun about them beforehand.

BigPapi
December 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
App St 44
Richmond 31

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
I appreciate the outsiders opinion. This is the one week that it is tough to take anything you hear about Richmond without at least a large grain of salt, in light of the complete reversal of stories regarding last year's team.

I am sure the Richmond will be on of the better teams to take the field in Boone this year. I am assuming their new coach came from the staff last year? If so then they'll play good fundamental football. The question becomes do they have the caliber of athletes to keep up with the speed ASU puts out there on both sides of the ball. I'm going to go out on a limb and think they do not. We'll know Saturday if that's accurate, and I will be interested to see if this year's team on the field actually matches the tales spun about them beforehand.

Last year we had a great defense that played out of its mind despite having a few freshmen starters in place who weren't expected to see any time. They were forced into action when some of our older guys went down (Sidbury and Logan to name two). We were confident coming to App, but the reality of that game exposed our defense for what it was at the time -- banged up and not able to defend someone like Edwards on the fly.

This year, Sidbury and Logan are healthy, and they are beasts. That's one reason we have the best run defense in the nation outside of Villanova. I don't think anyone expects us to shut your guys down, but we certainly won't allow 50 points, either.

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM

Speaking of Revisionism, this is pretty much an outright fabrication. App was favored in that game and every Spider knew it. I think you are confusing a couple notions getting tossed around about Richmond's running game and D for people outright claiming things would happen. It was all supposition beforehand last year, just like it is this year.

I am on record as saying I think the 4 points is low for what the spread should be.

OLDMAIN80
December 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
App by two scoresxcoolx

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
The question mark for the Spiders is whether their offense can get in gear. Ward has played well in streaks this year, but at times he has been shaky, as in the first half last week. He needs to put on a consistent performance against ASU for the Spiders to have a chance. Richmond's running game will probably not be enough to beat ASU without Ward putting up good numbers.

As to the Spider defense, they are better than last year. Logan alone makes them better. I think they will need a healthy McConaghy to return this week at LB and compliment McBride to enhance their chances against Armanti and company. Speed at LB is the only issue with their D.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
we have played 45 games in the last three seasons... seniors that have played every game would be about to play their 59th collegiate football game against richmond!!!!!

Pierre Banks will be playing in in NCAA record 62nd game on Saturday.

xeekx xeekx xeekx
xbowx xbowx xbowx

MacThor
December 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM

Please. There are complete pre-game threads from last year about Hightower being a game-time decision and the banged-up D. Wofford really did a number on us in the quarterfinals injury-wise. Stephen Howell - the D captain and leading playmaker - was a huge loss last year.

It's not revisionist history and it's not an excuse. Our D got whupped by AE & co and our running game struggled without Crone and of course was abandoned after spotting ASU to a 35-14 lead. Facts are that Crone is questionable, our defense is better than last year's, and overall UR is healthier than we were in the '07 semis.

Mike London is not from last year's staff (although he had served as a UR assistant in the past). He was UVa's Defensive coordinator, coaching Chris Long, Chris Canty and a few other slackers. :)

CamelCityAppFan
December 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
I think this game unfolds in a similar fashion as the SCSU game. It's close at the half, but in the 2nd App pulls way by enough to put it out of reach. Richmond scores in the 2nd half on a punt return or App turnover to keep it close, but in the end it's App by 10 or more.

LacesOut
December 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, App State will win.

DLS
December 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
this is a little off topic but everyone should read this article and the hilarious comments made by NC state fans at the bottom.

http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2008/12/best-qb-in-carolinas-is-in-boone.html

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Wait, was Crone out last year also?

AppStsGr8
December 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
I'm going with an App win though Richmond scares me. I like the App + Playoffs + Kidd Brewer + asucrutch23 = App Win formula.

If everyone were healthy, if App played its best game, if the weather was no factor, if the refs didn't blow any calls for either team, if, if, if, I'd say App by a bunch. Alas, that's why the game is played on the field.

I'll be at The Rock with, hopefully, 30,000+ of my closest friends to cheer for our Mountaineers. Let's squash the Spiders!

DX Man
December 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Pierre Banks will be playing in in NCAA record 62nd game on Saturday.

xeekx xeekx xeekx
xbowx xbowx xbowx

Ditto!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

HiHiYikas
December 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
I think this game unfolds in a similar fashion as the SCSU game. It's close at the half, but in the 2nd App pulls way by enough to put it out of reach.
I've noticed this in a handfull of ASU's games this season. Everyone talks about ASU getting everyone's best shot. That's one of those iffy statements, an intangible like "heart" or "will to win." It's an immeasurable thing, but there's got to be some element of truth in it.

But it looks like, however even things look in the early third quarter, there's a point in the game when an opponent's best effort diminishes and ASU's best effort holds steady.

Maybe it's the conditioning factor, or depth, or experience, or even a talent gap.

But that's why I'm saying 'everything ASU's got is better than everything UR's got.'

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'm going with an App win though Richmond scares me. I like the App + Playoffs + Kidd Brewer + asucrutch23 = App Win formula.

If everyone were healthy, if App played its best game, if the weather was no factor, if the refs didn't blow any calls for either team, if, if, if, I'd say App by a bunch. Alas, that's why the game is played on the field.

I'll be at The Rock with, hopefully, 30,000+ of my closest friends to cheer for our Mountaineers. Let's squash the Spiders!

im assuming you mean the incredible amount of influence i have on our mountaineers! just kidding............well sorta..........xrulesx xthumbsupx

Rekdiver
December 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Richmond is peaking at the right time and APP is holding together with rubber bands and gum. No lack of spider confidence either with a very physical defense.

The Spiders have all of the motivation.
APP has to play the perfect game to win.

For Richmond to win they have to get a rush on Armanti. For App to win, Armanti needs to have another career passing day and special teams have to cover kicks..and the kicker needs to perfect. ANd the ASU defense has to find a way to stop the run.

On paper right now Richmond is the favorite.......

james_lawfirm
December 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Richmond is peaking at the right time and APP is holding together with rubber bands and gum. No lack of spider confidence either with a very physical defense.

For Richmond to win they have to get a rush on Armanti. For App to win, Armanti needs to have another career passing day and special teams have to cover kicks..and the kicker needs to perfect. ANd the ASU defense has to find a way to stop the run.

Whose paper?

asknoquarter21
December 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Whose paper?

no kidding.

all season we have heard from almost every team that we are overrated and we were gonna lose. (Citadel and Wofford in particular)

it's not like App is short on athletes or experience.

I think the end of the SCSU game also puts App on a high and I really don't see them coming out flat. Not much chance UR doesn't get our best game.

How they handle that is gonna be interesting.

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
To win this game, we need to score points. We will play better defensively than we did last year, because we have more healthy and better players than we did on defense last year. But we are not expecting to hold App below 25 or 30.

Our offense came alive last week in the second half, and if we play that way, this game will come down to the final snap. If we don't, it will be a long day for us.

Our defense has done a great job creating turnovers and giving our offense the ball in great field position, and I think we'll need a few more turnovers this week to enhance our odds.

wideright82
December 2nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Whose paper?

i think he means rolling papers xlolx

Bettina90
December 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM

This was just tossed in so that next year we can hear about the "litany" of posts claiming Richmond would win.

KAUMASS
December 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
App can't keep doing this forever. They have to lose at some point in the next few years IMO. Is it Richmond this year? Maybe..Maybe not. Which App team shows up? The one against Wofford or the one against SCS. If the Wofford game shows up, see you later Richmond. If the SCS game shows, Richmond has a chance.

Good luck to both teams.

KiddBrewer
December 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
App can't keep doing this forever. They have to lose at some point in the next few years IMO. Is it Richmond this year? Maybe..Maybe not. Which App team shows up? The one against Wofford or the one against SCS. If the Wofford game shows up, see you later Richmond. If the SCS game shows, Richmond has a chance.

Good luck to both teams.

Newton's First Law

An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

unbalanced force anyone??xconfusedx dont see any.........xconfusedx

:D (just for s**ts and giggles)

AppSt.09
December 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

How are we holding together with rubber bands and gum? Even severely injured we are putting up incredible numbers and coming out with wins. SCSU, no offense, wouldn't even have been close with decent weather and the same applies to the Elon game. On paper we may look badly injured, but what happens on the field will decide what happens and I'm liking App's chances!xnodx

Rekdiver
December 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
If I put my post in "Quotes" would that help you guys understand it better?

DLS
December 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM

Good luck to both teams.

you mean the app that put up 557yds of offense? the one where the quarterback packed in 480 yds total offense? kinda like the same one that showed up last year against richmond?

so youre saying if the amazing team shows up instead of the incredible team then richmond has a chance?

xconfusedx

Dukie95
December 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I voted ASU, but UR has a good chance in this one.

jmufan999
December 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
i hate to say it, but i think UR will get blown out again this year. jmu ran all over UR this year (226 yards when their defense averages only 98.5 rusing ypg). why would i think the outcome would be any different in this year's ASU-UR matchup?

mcveyrl
December 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
i hate to say it, but i think UR will get blown out again this year. jmu ran all over UR this year (226 yards when their defense averages only 98.5 rusing ypg). why would i think the outcome would be any different in this year's ASU-UR matchup?

And we still needed some last minute heroics to win. Is ASU that much better than us?? xeekx xeekx

I think Richmond has a more complete defense this year and will be able to keep it close.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Richmond in a squeaker. xeyebrowx

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Come on Richmond, get UNI the home field all the way to Chatty!

Eight Legger
December 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Come on Richmond, get UNI the home field all the way to Chatty!

We're counting on UNH to do that for us, at least for the seminfinal. :D

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 03:00 PM
We're counting on UNH to do that for us, at least for the seminfinal. :D

I'm counting on Sam Bradford transfering to UNI.

soccerguy315
December 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
IMO, Richmond will need to be +2 in the turnover margin with at least 10 points from those turnovers to have a shot.

Should be a great game.

appstate38
December 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Word of advice to the Spiders. If you win the toss, TAKE THE BALL.