Grizzaholic
November 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM
we seat 23,000 plus!!!!

FlyYtown
November 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
We've seen them. All of them.

It's a great stadium. We get it.

You sound a little jealous..
Here is Youngstown State Stambaugh Stadium just as the game began.. I got a whole bunch of other pics but that is a good aerial shot.

http://www.ysusports.com/facilities/images/stadiumaerial.jpg

bobcatfan06
November 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM
I want to know why Wa-Griz doesn't have the "traditonal" lights. Why just 4 big soptlights in each corner??

Live4Griz
November 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Wa-Griz doesn't have lights...last year ESPN brought them in for a night game in which they televised vs. New Hampshire. That picture was taken the night before the game & they were only there for a couple of days!!

GO GRIZ!!

CatFan22
November 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing.
xprost2x

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2005, 08:17 PM
The Best Stadium before game time

WERE YA'LL AT PORTLAND STATE DAT EVENIN'??.........:D......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2005, 08:18 PM

WERE YA'LL AT PORTLAND STATE DAT EVENIN'????........:D......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
November 15th, 2005, 08:21 PM

WERE YA'LL AT PORTLAND STATE DAT EVENIN'?????.....:rolleyes:.....BRAWK!

DuckDuckGriz
November 15th, 2005, 08:23 PM
WERE YA'LL AT PORTLAND STATE DAT EVENIN'?????.....:rolleyes:.....BRAWK!

That was taken the night before the UNH game.

It was a joke........I know.....but I thought this board needed a Ned Flanders. :cool:

bobcatfan06
November 15th, 2005, 09:01 PM
How come Wa-Griz doesn't have lights?? Too cold at night in the mountains or what?? Almost all of our games are at night, untill the last week or so. I love night games.

TigerFan17
November 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
You'd think that a stadium that is easily one of the Top 5 in the I-AA nation would have some friggin lights. I don't get it. Its not like people don't go to the games.

putter
November 15th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I don't know the answer to that one either. All our high schools have lights but the biggest show in the state doesn't! :confused:

TypicalTribe
November 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
You sound a little jealous..
[/IMG]

There's no jealousy at all. I love Montana, have family out there and have the highest respect for the program. However, it was pretty much that guy's first post and it was yet more pictures of a stadium that we all know is phenomenal yet we've seen umpteen times.

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM

LMFAO

Too many dang Montana posters on this board.

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM
How come Wa-Griz doesn't have lights?? Too cold at night in the mountains or what?? Almost all of our games are at night, untill the last week or so. I love night games.

It's probably because Montana already sells out all their games. If you put up lights and had night games, you would give people more time to travel and give the students more time to recover from their hangovers. That means there would be even more people wanting to attend the games, but there would be no room. And Montana folks are just big teddy bears and don't have the heart to turn anyone away.

89Hen
November 16th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have a good nighttime picture of Montana's stadium? I've heard it's nice.

GrizFoo
November 16th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have a good nighttime picture of Montana's stadium? I've heard it's nice.

There must be one around here somewhere. :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I love seeing those night game pictures, thank aholic, but get a bit embarrased when they are posted here every other week. Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy bit.

"I got McDonalds, I got McDonalds..."

Being a new poster, I can see how he didn't know about the previous 100 picture postings.

grizbeer
November 16th, 2005, 10:05 AM
I don't know why lights weren't included in the original construction, but the stadium was originally designed to be able to accommodate a dome someday (back when domes were popular). Here are a few theories I have heard for why lights haven't been added:
1) They have the money to put in lights, but they would only be used for 2 - 3 games per year in Sept/Oct, so the money is better spent elsewhere.
2) they have the money to put in lights, but are holding off until the final stadium expansion is completed
3) over 1/2 the people attending the games drive over 100 miles to get to the games, and having a night games would create a hardship on those who drive home after the game
4) Having night games would put a big dent in the Missoula restaurant and bar revenues on game days

Grizzaholic
November 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
We party all day long as it is before a game. A 6 o'clock gametime would/ could
be dangerous for a lot of people who don't know when to slow down.

Ronbo
November 16th, 2005, 10:18 AM

I talked to the former AD Read about this at practice last year and he said that they have the money that was donated specifically for lighting and they are holding off till final expansions are complete so they don't have to keep relocating them.

Why have lights?

1. A couple evening games in Sept. when it's 85 degrees during the day.
2. High School Friday night games.
3. High School Playoffs and State Championship games.
4. Rock Concerts during the summer.

WUTNDITWAA
November 16th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I talked to the former AD Read about this at practice last year and he said that they have the money that was donated specifically for lighting and they are holding off till final expansions are complete so they don't have to keep relocating them.

Why have lights?

5. Solar Eclipses
6. Octouple Overtime :D

eaglesrthe1
November 16th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Why have lights?

5. Being flexible with start time would enhance probability for TV contracts. (Cat-Griz on ESPN2?)

griz8791
November 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I love the stadium as much as anyone but get embarrassed every time one of us posts yet another Wa-Griz stadium pic here and then launches into the "nyah, nyah, look what we got" routine.

Everyone knows. Okay?

:deadhorse

Tailbone
November 16th, 2005, 12:21 PM
For what it's worth:

Chris (eGriz.com) moved all the pics that were linked so I don't think you'll find them in the stadium thread.

If Grizaholic looked there first, he might have reason to believe there were none posted.

BTW: I posted the stadium Pic in the "God, Denny Washington, & Massey" thread more to point out (lead into) the Massey ranking than anything else.
The point was that on top of having a great stadium in a great place, we had moved to number one in Massey (and therefore likely GPI).....It's good to be Griz!!!!

grizband
November 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I love the stadium as much as anyone but get embarrassed every time one of us posts yet another Wa-Griz stadium pic here and then launches into the "nyah, nyah, look what we got" routine.

Everyone knows. Okay?

I feel exactly the same way. All this does is prove the opinion of alot of fans who see Griz fans as arrogant. There are other good stadiums in I-AA as well.

NSUDemon98
November 16th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Northwestern St. home side of Turpin Stadium...

LacesOut
November 16th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Northwestern St. home side of Turpin Stadium...

Pretty nice. How many does it hold???

bcrawf
November 16th, 2005, 03:02 PM
The most intimidating place in the country where batteries are not thrown at visiting teams!!
Built- 1976
Roof Replaced- 1998
Capacity- 16,324 (seated, over 18,00 SRO)
Largest Crowd for a Sporting Event- 22,797 Men's Basketball vs. Iowa 1990
Hosted NCAA Division I Wrestling tournament in1997
FUTURE HOME OF DIVISION I-AA NATIONAL TITLE GAME
HOME TO 12 OF 20 GATEWAY TITLES

NSUDemon98
November 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Pretty nice. How many does it hold???

I think just under 17,000, however, we have had crowds larger than capacity over 17k when we played Southern Univ. back in 1998 and 2000.

It would probably hold a little more if we didn't have the box seating on the middle 5 sections on the home side and went to bleacher style...but historicaly speaking, we will never need to add more seats

SU Jag
November 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I think just under 17,000, however, we have had crowds larger than capacity over 17k when we played Southern Univ. back in 1998 and 2000.

It would probably hold a little more if we didn't have the box seating on the middle 5 sections on the home side and went to bleacher style...but historicaly speaking, we will never need to add more seats

Man, I miss those NW.State/ Southern matchups. Hopefully they'll make it happen again soon!

NSUDemon98
November 16th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Man, I miss those NW.State/ Southern matchups. Hopefully they'll make it happen again soon!

Yeah...I always enjoyed the game. It was always a great atmosphere...I am a band director and former band member at NSU and I always enjoyed the SU band.

That last year when we agreed to move the game to Independence Stadium was a fun one with 30,000+ at the game...of course 2/3 of that was Jaguar fans...lol.

Last year there was some discussion on our board about a possible Grambling/NSU and McNeese/SU doubleheader at Independence Stadium and then the next year it would be NSU/SU and McNeese/GSU...but I doubt that will happen.

One thing for sure, there would be A LOT of people...

SU Jag
November 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM
It needs to happen! I think that SU and NW. State can make a great annual game! Yeah, most people fall in love with the Southern University "Human Jukbox", they're the 13th man the "Jaguar Nation" is the 12th.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 16th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I loved the picture that was posted of the stadium Penn plays in. It's pretty cool having that old building right there in the end zone.

I wanna know a little more about the stadium in Boone. At least, I assume it was Boone - whichever stadium Richie Williams was in for that cover ralph was pimping last week. Y'know, the one where he's got the big brick building or wall behind him... looked pretty cool.

elkmcc
November 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Everyone knows. Okay?

Griz8971: I am sorry that you are a shy sort of fellow and I appreciate your modesty but I disagree. Up until the last year or so the average I-AA fan wasn't necessarily aware of what we have in Missoula. Most of them now know only because we (and ESPN and Tony Moss) have kept reminding them. It also seems to me that just about every time someone posts a Wa/Griz pic someone will follow with a post wowing it.

My theory is "if you got it flaunt it". Yes, we are the Griz and we are proud of what we built. And if you think you like our stadium wait until you see our football team.

It also seems to me that most of the complaints have come from Cat fans and we all know the reason for that.

FlyYtown
November 16th, 2005, 06:19 PM

SAYS WHO?
This is just more and more bull from a UNI Fan.

MiloCat
November 16th, 2005, 07:33 PM
SAYS WHO?
This is just more and more bull from a UNI Fan.

You mean your sources haven't told you this yet? :rolleyes:

Seriously, its no secret UNIs AD has/is trying to get the game to Cedar Falls. It's bcrawf's opinion that it will happen some day. I don't think he meant it as a fact.

SeattleGriz
November 16th, 2005, 07:40 PM
The most intimidating place in the country where batteries are not thrown at visiting teams!!
Built- 1976
Roof Replaced- 1998
Capacity- 16,324 (seated, over 18,00 SRO)
Largest Crowd for a Sporting Event- 22,797 Men's Basketball vs. Iowa 1990
Hosted NCAA Division I Wrestling tournament in1997
HOME TO 12 OF 20 GATEWAY TITLES

I thought it was VHS tapes, not batteries :D

Tailbone
November 16th, 2005, 08:34 PM
.....The most intimidating place in the country where batteries are not thrown at visiting teams!!

What's this about?

catbob
November 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Well since we are doing stadiums, here is MSU from earlier this year.

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9127/facstadiumleft5ll.jpg

SeattleGriz
November 17th, 2005, 09:37 PM
What's this about?

Northern Iowa swears the Griz fans threw batteries at the team when they came up for the semifinals a couple of years ago.

Chi Panther
November 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Northern Iowa swears the Griz fans threw batteries at the team when they came up for the semifinals a couple of years ago.

I think we should stop talking about this now.....as UNI could end up playing at Montana in Rd 2 this year....and we don't need to get certain individuals all fired up again.....

Tailbone
November 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Was that the "pill punch" game, or a later reprisal?
I assume the VHS tape comment refers to an unwillingness by UNI or UM to exchange tapes?
It's the pits gettin' old, of all the things I've ever lost....I miss my mind the most!

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM

No, no, no. You have got it all wrong. Them there were not batteries we pitched at ya, that was what we kindly refer to up here in Montana as a SHUT OUT, as in say 38-0. Nice try tho. Got tapes?

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Well since we are doing stadiums, here is MSU from earlier this year.

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9127/facstadiumleft5ll.jpg
Nice stadium catbob. A couple of questions tho. Is there a reason that the main building was made to resemble a childs leggo set? Also, who paid to get all those people to sit in the bleachers for the picture?

Cap'n Cat
November 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Nice stadium catbob. A couple of questions tho. Is there a reason that the main building was made to resemble a childs leggo set? Also, who paid to get all those people to sit in the bleachers for the picture?

You're a farthead, elky, but THAT is funny.......!!!

LMAO!!!!!

:D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
You're a farthead, elky, but THAT is funny.......!!!

LMAO!!!!!

:D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p

Farthead. Now thats a name I can live with. Glad you appreciate my humor, after all that is why we make fun of ourselves on this board every day, isn't it?

Cap'n Cat
November 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Farthead. Now thats a name I can live with. Glad you appreciate my humor, after all that is why we make fun of ourselves on this board every day, isn't it?

And Cap'n Cat laughs at himself more than anyone else here. BTW, along those lines, check out my new poll in the Lounge.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

catbob
November 18th, 2005, 01:01 PM

All 14000+ paid to sit there, actually.

Lego has one g.

It was homecoming.

And Lego has no age limit thank you very much. :)

Cap'n Cat
November 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM

Lego has one g.

It was homecoming.

Man, if the Griz lose, it's gonna be ugly around here..............

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Ronbo
November 18th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Man you are right on. If you are a Griz Coach you do not want to let down this time of year. ;)

catbob
November 18th, 2005, 01:15 PM
The Cats might be out of the playoffs, but a win over the Griz lets me talk trash all year and dismiss any smack thrown at me from Griz fans. You could win the NC and still the smack wouldn't affect me, cuz we will have braggings rights.

GO CATS! :D

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM

Lego has one g.

It was homecoming.

Well that's fine and dandy but... "leggo of my Ego" said Kramer to his kiddies, ah mean kittys.

henfan
November 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Could somebody please post a photo or link or something? I didn't realize the Univ. of Montana had a football team. That's great news.

McNeese72
November 18th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Hey, Elk

Long time, no see. How's it going in Grizland? Doing any ice fishing yet? Our football season pretty much got blown away down here but I didn't.

Doc

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Hey, Elk

Long time, no see. How's it going in Grizland? Doing any ice fishing yet? Our football season pretty much got blown away down here but I didn't.

Doc

Great to hear from ya Doc. I'm doing good and hope you are the same. Yip. It's just about ice fishin' season once again. LOL! Glad to hear the 'caine never got ya. Do you realize that it was 10 years ago we were a postin' on the AOL board? Say hi to Cbuck for me. He's a hard one to get the attention of too.

DuckDuckGriz
November 18th, 2005, 02:51 PM

God I was just thinking the same thing :D ..... :o ......... :(

Proud Griz Man
November 18th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Ugly - no more than normal.
The Griz players and coaches are very focused on this game, but recognize the challenge ahead. Please remember, that in the pre-season that numerous MSU fans were projecting this Bobcat team to be one of their best teams ever. Opponents always find Bozeman a difficult place to play. Fortunately it does not appear that the weather will be harsh.

McNeese72
November 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Great to hear from ya Doc. I'm doing good and hope you are the same. Yip. It's just about ice fishin' season once again. LOL! Glad to hear the 'caine never got ya. Do you realize that it was 10 years ago we were a postin' on the AOL board? Say hi to Cbuck for me. He's a hard one to get the attention of too.

One of the first things I did after I made the post to you, was go let him know that I had an "Elk sighting". :-) He said to tell you hi.

What's AOL like now? Anymore Div I-AA talk there or did the I-AA messageboard there bite the dust?

Doc

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM
One of the first things I did after I made the post to you, was go let him know that I had an "Elk sighting". :-) He said to tell you hi.

What's AOL like now? Anymore Div I-AA talk there or did the I-AA messageboard there bite the dust?

Doc

Awesome, awesome Richard. It is nice to know he hasn't forgotten me after all this time. I still have the aol account, rarely ever use it, and I think the I-AA message board has been gone for some time now. I wonder how many guys from the old board read and post to AGS? It would be interesting to know.

November 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Does anyone have a good nighttime picture of Montana's stadium? I've heard it's nice.Montana has a stadium? If they do I'm sure they don't have lights so a nighttime picture would be all black. ;)

elkmcc
November 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Montana has a stadium? If they do I'm sure they don't have lights so a nighttime picture would be all black. ;)

Hey watch the racial comments there Ralph. :) I hear BH is writing a book. It's entitled "Lights Out" or "Who pulled the plug on the Bobcats postseason"

McNeese72
November 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Awesome, awesome Richard. It is nice to know he hasn't forgotten me after all this time. I still have the aol account, rarely ever use it, and I think the I-AA message board has been gone for some time now. I wonder how many guys from the old board read and post to AGS? It would be interesting to know.

I think a couple of the GSU fans here were there and, I think AppSt89 (I think that was the old screen name) is here.

Anybody else that posted on the AOL Div I-AA board in the late 90's here??

Doc