PDA

View Full Version : Wofford showed up today

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM
First of all, congratulations to James Madison on a tough, hard-fought win, and I also congratulate my Terriers for hanging in there and showing people they could play ball after the ASU debacle. I think a lot of JMU fans will have to admit that the little Wofford Terriers are better than they thought they would be. Many, though they would never admit it in on a national message board, thought the game was going to be a blowout. Now they are just exhaling and are very thankful they have lived to see another day in these playoffs. To the Wofford seniors, you guys had a great year and a great career. Good luck to those guys in whatever they choose to do now. I am not going to sit here and analyze the refs. Sure, there might have been some questionable stuff, but that happens in every game and its simply just part of football. Great teams overcome it, and even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes, over the course of a season that stuff all evens out anyway. In football, just as in real life itself, you sometimes get a "bad spot" or a "raw deal", and you just have to, well, deal with it. This was a great game and it was really a shame that this had to be played in the first round. But that's the way things go. Again, congratulations to both teams.

JMU Newbill
November 29th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Wofford left it all on the field.... no doubt about that.

Great game!

BestOfBreed
November 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Wofford left it all on the field.... no doubt about that.

Great game!

Landers 3rd and goal run for the last TD was a heartbreaker. The man would not go down! Heck of a player.

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I think many of the more sensible JMU posters will admit it on a national message board. What I've come to see (it's occurring as we speak, coincidentally), is that Wofford fans are about as gracious in defeat as you can possibly be. This I knew beforehand, and is very admirable. The bad thing is there are a couple of Socon pundits that want to ruin the outcome of a hard-fought game between two top teams. I'll let them.

We know what it's like to be paired with such one of the top teams in the first round, we're glad to have come out on top. Hopefully we won't see you guys on the field too soon ;)

DB_Atlantic10
November 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I give many props to Wofford...their offense is not the best one to defend for the first time. The run it to perfection and only had one penalty all game and no turn overs.....JMU was lucky to come out with the win.... Eventually the Landers factor kicked in and sealed the deal....Great game and from what I can, you are a very young team and should go far next year....

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I think many of the more sensible JMU posters will admit it on a national message board. What I've come to see (it's occurring as we speak, coincidentally), is that Wofford fans are about as gracious in defeat as you can possibly be. This I knew beforehand, and is very admirable. The bad thing is there are a couple of Socon pundits that want to ruin the outcome of a hard-fought game between two top teams. I'll let them.

We know what it's like to be paired with such one of the top teams in the first round, we're glad to have come out on top. Hopefully we won't see you guys on the field too soon ;)

I don't know if you are talking about me, but I'm not trying to "ruin the outcome" of the game. It was a great game and JMU is no doubt an outstanding team. It's just that I am tired of hearing CAA people talking about how the SoCon has no teams outside of App. State and hearing Wofford had no chance to beat JMU. And on top of that, some don't seem to want to give Wofford credit after they gave JMU all they could handle.

spdram
November 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Losing is never fun, but Wofford can hold their heads high. They went into the house of the #1 team in FCS and carried right down to the wire. A break on the onsides kick that everyone in the world knew was coming and who knows! Great game, Great season!

th0m
November 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I don't know if you are talking about me, but I'm not trying to "ruin the outcome" of the game. It was a great game and JMU is no doubt an outstanding team. It's just that I am tired of hearing CAA people talking about how the SoCon has no teams outside of App. State and hearing Wofford had no chance to beat JMU. And on top of that, some don't seem to want to give Wofford credit after they gave JMU all they could handle.

I wasn't talking about anybody in particular. Of course it's interesting when you're inquiring about the specifics of a team and you get an answer you simply dismiss it and continue your argument as if you didn't need the information anyway.

I don't think you'd be able to find a single JMU poster who has not commended Wofford on their hard-fought game. I cannot account for other CAA folk, so maybe I shouldn't hold Wofford fans accountable for the actions of their conference-posters either.

Good night.

JMU2004
November 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Wofford was, without a doubt, the best coached team I have seen all year.

I knew this would be a close game, but ya'll we're even better than advertised.

jmufan999
November 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
First of all, congratulations to James Madison on a tough, hard-fought win, and I also congratulate my Terriers for hanging in there and showing people they could play ball after the ASU debacle. I think a lot of JMU fans will have to admit that the little Wofford Terriers are better than they thought they would be. Many, though they would never admit it in on a national message board, thought the game was going to be a blowout. Now they are just exhaling and are very thankful they have lived to see another day in these playoffs. To the Wofford seniors, you guys had a great year and a great career. Good luck to those guys in whatever they choose to do now. I am not going to sit here and analyze the refs. Sure, there might have been some questionable stuff, but that happens in every game and its simply just part of football. Great teams overcome it, and even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes, over the course of a season that stuff all evens out anyway. In football, just as in real life itself, you sometimes get a "bad spot" or a "raw deal", and you just have to, well, deal with it. This was a great game and it was really a shame that this had to be played in the first round. But that's the way things go. Again, congratulations to both teams.

I'LL ADMIT IT! i have NO problem admitting i thought this would be a blowout. after watching the ASU-Wofford game, it's hard to come to a different conclusion (especially since we BEAT ASU). i was definitely wrong about Wofford.

in the ASU-WC game, it seemed like Rucker NEVER got the ball. all week, i've been wondering why. he was CLEARLY the best player for WC today (you could make the argument for Widmeyer, since his decision making was just about flawless). Rucker MAY have been the fastest player on the field. Him or McGee.

hats off to WC. They played smart, hard-nosed football and it came down to the wire. i was wrong about you. see, admitting that isn't so hard! and by the way, i am the ONLY person i have seen on ANY message boards who predicted a blowout, 99% of JMU fans i know thought it would be very close.

matfu
November 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
still can't believe that if jmu did not do the trick "spike" play and had gotten a field goal the final score would have been 35-34 Wofford. If wofford gets the missed it by "inches" 1st down i think they might have won. landers was awesome on the last drive. two good offenses.

Longhorn
November 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
still can't believe that if jmu did not do the trick "spike" play and had gotten a field goal the final score would have been 35-34 Wofford. If wofford gets the missed it by "inches" 1st down i think they might have won. landers was awesome on the last drive. two good offenses.

xcoffeex Yes, and in the 3rd when JMU was driving had Landers pulled the pass down and run for big yards (there wasn't a Terrier within 15 yards of him) instead of throwing the INT Wofford would have possibly remained down by two scores in the 3rd, or if JMU had decided to go for it on 4th and goal in the 4th (instead of kicking the FG) who knows what would have happened? Bottom line, you can't second guess the outcome. That's a total waste of time.

Congrats on a nice season. xthumbsupx

BestOfBreed
November 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
xcoffeex Yes, and in the 3rd when JMU was driving had Landers pulled the pass down and run for big yards (there wasn't a Terrier within 15 yards of him) instead of throwing the INT Wofford would have possibly remained down by two scores in the 3rd, or if JMU had decided to go for it on 4th and goal in the 4th (instead of kicking the FG) who knows what would have happened? Bottom line, you can't second guess the outcome. That's a total waste of time.

Congrats on a nice season. xthumbsupx

True. If Wofford converts on 4th they probably win but you never know what can happen. xthumbsupx

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I just got home from the game........whew.......I'll take the win.

Wofford was the real deal no doubt about it. JMU is lucky to be playing next week. It was a tough draw for both schools.

The TD run by Landers was insane......I think he ran over two Terriers to score. I'm off to check the stats.

Go Dukes.

JMUSaxMRD
November 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
So after the game I said congrats on a well played game to a Wofford football player. I was still in my Marching Royal Duke uniform, and he said "Thanks, you guys have one hell of a band." I just wanted to share my experience of a nice Wofford football player, I know how disappointed they must have felt.

beauvighn
November 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
The reason Rucker did not carry the ball that much against App is because he was not playing regularly until Jeremy marshall injured his knee in the App game. Who would of know that he was waiting in the wings ready to explode.

We have a number of Seniors who will be sorely missed. However, i believe we have a nice core of young guys , like Mike , ready to step up and carry the torch.

Thanks for the kind words from the many JMU fans who commented about our team after the game. I really enjoyed our visit and wish you guys luck next week.

Tubby Raymond
November 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Speed bump on the way to the NC

theasushow
November 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
its games like this one that prepares a team for chattanooga, i think close games like these are more beneficial for teams than a blowout. i specifically think that will play into jmu's advantage next week, as villanova ran away with it early. if it comes down to who has the ball last=advantage jmu, they have alredy been there against wofford.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Wofford didn't come up with the short end of the stick as far as calls. Only 2 penalties on Wofford, 5 on JMU.

JMU 2 games ago was +10 in the TO margin on the season. Now they are plus +8. If JMU had been even in the TO margin vs Wofford, or +, they would have won no problem. I was saying berfore hand that the only way JMU loses is if they go -2 to -3 in the TO margin. With Lander's 1st pick thrown in 8 games (picked off near the Wofford goal line), and Wofford not turning the ball over (I don't even think they fumbled once, must less lost one), JMU was -1 in the TO margin. I expected JMU to struggle stopping that tricky wishbone (although I didn't expect there to be that many missed tackles). I also expected Wofford to turn the ball over and have more than 2 penalties. That didn't happen, and there you go, close game.

Congrats to Wofford on playing what I imagine was one of their better games of the year. In the game notes I counted 13 of 22 starters for Wofford as seniors, so I know if will be tough to make the playoffs again.

BDKJMU
November 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I give many props to Wofford...their offense is not the best one to defend for the first time. The run it to perfection and only had one penalty all game and no turn overs.....JMU was lucky to come out with the win.... Eventually the Landers factor kicked in and sealed the deal....Great game and from what I can, you are a very young team and should go far next year....

Wofford had 2 penalties

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Wofford didn't come up with the short end of the stick as far as calls. Only 2 penalties on Wofford, 5 on JMU.

JMU 2 games ago was +10 in the TO margin on the season. Now they are plus +8. If JMU had been even in the TO margin vs Wofford, or +, they would have won no problem. I was saying berfore hand that the only way JMU loses is if they go -2 to -3 in the TO margin. With Lander's 1st pick thrown in 8 games (picked off near the Wofford goal line), and Wofford not turning the ball over (I don't even think they fumbled once, must less lost one), JMU was -1 in the TO margin. I expected JMU to struggle stopping that tricky wishbone (although I didn't expect there to be that many missed tackles). I also expected Wofford to turn the ball over and have more than 2 penalties. That didn't happen, and there you go, close game.

Congrats to Wofford on playing what I imagine was one of their better games of the year. In the game notes I counted 13 of 22 starters for Wofford as seniors, so I know if will be tough to make the playoffs again.

actually I think we'll be at least a bubble team considering we're bringing back a lot of talent and even some experience. Anything is possible I mean a lot of people said Wofford would struggle this season.

madisonfan87
November 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Wofford played a hell of a game yesterday. My hat goes of to them and their staff.xthumbsupx

SoCon48
November 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Much more than showed up. Came within 3 pts of the #1 team in the FCS on the JMU home turf.

millwoga1
November 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM

I think i've heard this before, every year people say we will finish third or fourth or fifth in the socon and we are a "surprise team". Ayers runs a system where the upper classmen are going to play due to knowing the assignments and experience. Yes we have some holes to fill at OL and LB but i have absolutely no doubt the sophs and jrs will step up. We will be back next year in the playoffs. Good luck to you guys rest of the way!

blueballs
November 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I wonder if Coach Matthews now realizes there is more to the SoCon than just App State...xnonox

th0m
November 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I wonder if Coach Matthews now realizes there is more to the SoCon than just App State...xnonox

At the post-game press-conference there was a reporter that asked a question about ASU or something, Mickey said something like "What do you want me to say? That I think we'll beat Appalachian State in our street clothes" or something along those lines. Made me chuckle.

BDKJMU
November 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I posted this on the other thread about JMU facing Wofford's wingbone.

For the record, Wofford:
Rushing avg during regular season: 343. Vs JMU 301
Passing avg during regular season: 108. Vs JMU 130

JMU:
Rushing avg during regular season: 279. Vs Wofford: 343
Passing avg during regular season: 111. Vs Wofford: 126

Total offense JMU 469, Wofford 431.
Wofford running that offense isn't going to beat a team it doesn't outrush.

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/wofford.htm

terrierbob
November 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I posted this on the other thread about JMU facing Wofford's wingbone.

For the record, Wofford:
Rushing avg during regular season: 343. Vs JMU 301
Passing avg during regular season: 108. Vs JMU 130

JMU:
Rushing avg during regular season: 279. Vs Wofford: 343
Passing avg during regular season: 111. Vs Wofford: 126

Total offense JMU 469, Wofford 431.
Wofford running that offense isn't going to beat a team it doesn't outrush.

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/wofford.htm

Stats about as close as the game. that was your point, right?xcoffeex