PDA

View Full Version : UNI/Maine Game Thread

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Maine trying to make the CAA go 5-0 today.

Kickoff in 4 minutes.

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Boy.. the video sucks... I thought UNH's game stream was bad.

Amazing looking facility though!

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 04:08 PM
very bad feed. GO MAINE

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
7-0 UNI in first.

They should not have made the video feed free....too many people logging in and it's crashing.

bainsey
November 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
UNI blocks the way for this game to be televised, then provides video coverage that doesn't work.

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Video feed is now "not found"... xnonono2x

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 04:29 PM
UNI blocks the way for this game to be televised, then provides video coverage that doesn't work.

Law of supply and demand, bub. SIU/UNH was the same way.

Uncle Buck
November 29th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I gave up on it. It was too choppy and no sound.

Will
November 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Is anyone actually able to follow this game? Lack of updates is frustrating.

Is it still 7-0 UNI?

bainsey
November 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Law of supply and demand, bub.
Then it's up to the supplier to meet the demand. Besides, there was more than enough demand to televise this one, but the supplier opted to supply.

BLOCKED PUNT!!! That's twice in as many weeks.

Jackman
November 29th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Let's go, Dirty Cubs! They've been talking crap about you all week. A win here silences the critics of the CAA.

onbison09
November 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Where's the video feed? (I know it probably won't work but still) Is there an NCAA rule about making video feeds free for the playoffs.

Uncle Buck
November 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
7-7 following a Maine TD, then the feed crapped out again.

bainsey
They've been talking crap about you all week.

Aw, c'mon, Jackman. It's not like we're playing William and Mary! :D

mainejeff
Go Maine!.......make the CAA 5-0!

dgreco
November 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Where's the video feed? (I know it probably won't work but still) Is there an NCAA rule about making video feeds free for the playoffs.

http://secure.stretchinternet.com/wlive.php?user=uni&id=45714

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
video feed is crap. going audio. LET'S GO MAINE. bring the playoffs to Northern NE

dgreco
November 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
video feed is crap. going audio. LET'S GO MAINE. bring the playoffs to Northern NE

video is very choppy. I had about 5 minutes of it really smooth and then it **** the bed.

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Even the audio sucks... BOO UNI... I really have no idea if it has to do with them.. but I still BOO you.

Jackman
November 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
14-7 UNI on a 42 yard pass. Come on, Bears, where's that defense?

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 04:56 PM
SIU and UNI need to change webcast providers, both have very poor quality feeds.

dgreco
November 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
any other audio/video links? all 3 seem to be from UNI. the 1 audio is like the video and the other audio I am getting no sound.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Safety UNI!

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
SAFETY

16-7 UNI 2nd qtr.

bainsey
November 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
The "Black Hole" has always been prone to give up the big play.

Mn_Moose
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
UNI 55 yd T.D. pass Grace to Herron

UNI 23
Maine 7

2:51 1st half

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
JARED HERRING TRUE FRESHMAN 2nd TD of the day!

Kid was a 100 and 200 meter 2-time champ in high school.

23-7 UNI in 1st.

Maine has 30 yards of offense.

UNH_BLUE
November 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Maine has lost all confidence.

It's playoff experience vs. playoff inexperience right now.

Jackman
Need a drive, Maine.

Chi Panther
Where is the healthy kid who ran for 100 yards on Iowa???xrotatehx

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
uni witha pick....woo hooxthumbsupx

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
INT UNI, let's get another score before the half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
Wow this might give 'Nova-'Gate a run for the ugliest game of the day.

Jackman
Damn, was hoping they could at least get a figgie once they got in UNI territory.

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
2 Missed FGs by Billy.....thats a joke...

bainsey
November 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Another missed FG for UNI. (We feel your pain, Panther fans.)

Halftime. 23-7, UNI.

UM pass coverage = UNI video coverage.

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
At the half Maine has 21 rushing attempts for 26 yards.xcoolx

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Amend Farley's rules - no more letting Halgren watch Cal Poly games! This should be 29-7.

Jackman
November 29th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Dirty Cubs make it to the half down by two scores (just barely). Second half doesn't look promising though. I had a feeling this might go pear-shaped. Maine is built for slogging it out in arctic conditions, not this carpeted garage crap. And they're not versatile enough to play any other style. Worst matchup they could have drawn. But you can't complain when you're in the playoffs with 4 losses. They gotta man up.

dgreco
November 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Another missed FG for UNI. (We feel your pain, Panther fans.)

Halftime. 23-7, UNI.

UM pass coverage = UNI video coverage.

xlolx

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately this is where Farley now sits on the lead and UNI wins 23 to 21 stressing badly in the 4th.....xbawlingx

rcny46
November 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM
At the half Maine has 21 rushing attempts for 26 yards.xcoolx

They better improve on that number,because they won't mount a comeback through the air.

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Dirty Cubs make it to the half down by two scores (just barely). Second half doesn't look promising though. I had a feeling this might go pear-shaped. Maine is built for slogging it out in arctic conditions, not this carpeted garage crap. And they're not versatile enough to play any other style. Worst matchup they could have drawn. But you can't complain when you're in the playoffs with 4 losses. They gotta man up.

Then why did your play by play guy say before the game when talking to Gary that they WERE used to playing in a place like the Dome?

Quit making excuses. xrolleyesx

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
They better improve on that number,because they won't mount a comeback through the air.

UNI's run defense is stout this year....however, you guys will be able to pass on us.....xrotatehx

MarchingMountaineer
November 29th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Yahoo has a clear feed from Maine at http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/268.0/popup/index.php?rn=9033886&ch=9267524&cl=10836186

appstate1998
November 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM
come on Maine...don't let me down...I will have a perfect first round bracket with the game pending tonight if you win....help me out

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Corey Lewis breaks the UNI all time rushing yardage total. xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
come on Maine...don't let me down...I will have a perfect first round bracket with the game pending tonight if you win....help me out

Maine is the opposite of Rick Astley...

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM

It looks like Maine is going to let you down!:(

What's even more distressing is only two touches for Jared Turcotte. Maine's radio guys several times have said that Brusko missed a wide open Turcotte out of the backfield on bubble screens, only to be swallowed up by that great UNI defensive front. I have no faith in a comeback with Brusko running the show. At least before Farkas was hurt Maine could throw the ball down the field. Now they can't.xnonono2x

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM

IF you want to help Maine, you better suit up

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
IF you want to help Maine, you better suit up

Him suiting up won't help today... Maine needs a QB who can throw the ball down the field, and no one on Maine's sideline can fill that requirement. The only one who can is currently in street clothes.xsmhx

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM
INT MAINE UNI BALL!!!!!

bainsey
November 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Him suiting up won't help today... Maine needs a QB who can throw the ball down the field, and no one on Maine's sideline can fill that requirement. The only one who can is currently in street clothes.xsmhx Exactly. Another Brusko INT.

GATA
November 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
This is why you don't put Maine in the playoffs.

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Maine pick to their 24 - bad decision by Grace

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
UNI picks back to Maine 25

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
INT MAINE BALL THEN INT UNI BALL!!!

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
First and goal at the Maine 2.

See you next week, NH.

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
TD UNI! 33-7.

PERSONAL FOUL ON THE MAINE DEFENSE FOR FIFTEEN YARDS. LOLOLOLOLOL.

ALSO WAY TO ROUGH OUR KICKER, MAINE, JEEZ...HOW DID YOU MAKE IT IN AGAIN????

R3TRO
November 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well, just like all the UNI AGS'rs said, if Maine focuses on running the ball, they are going to have a long day. It proved true.

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM
UNI kicked off from the Maine 40....xrotatehx :D xrolleyesx

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Urban Meyers would have gone for the onside kick.

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I am enjoying this drubbing. :D

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Well, just like all the UNI AGS'rs said, if Maine focuses on running the ball, they are going to have a long day. It proved true.

Yeah, the MVFC is all about smashmouth football and the Panthers have silenced quite a few great rushing teams.

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Maine likes to go backwards on the field, don't they?

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Yeah, the MVFC is all about smashmouth football and the Panthers have silenced quite a few great rushing teams.

Thanks for the brotherly support, FB. xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
40-15, 90 some odd seconds left in the game.

WELCOME TO THE DOME, TEDDY BEARS!!

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Good game....excited for next week.xthumbsupx

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Aaaaaand another INT for UNI. Maine IS who we thought they were.

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Good game....excited for next week.xthumbsupx

I certainly hope you mean your excited for a good game :D xthumbsupx
I know I am. Gotta see what coverage we'll get. I'm hoping the local ABC affiliate picks up the game.

Purple For Life
November 29th, 2008, 06:43 PM
FINAL SCORE UNI 40 MAINE 15

SEE YOU IN THE UNI-DOME WILD PUSSYCATS!

eagle1
November 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The CAA is so over rated. Maine did not deserve to be in the field. Hell Liberty would have given UNI a better game.xlolx

FargoBison
November 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Nice win Panthers, way to represent for the MVFC.

UNI Pike
November 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
The CAA is so over rated. Maine did not deserve to be in the field. Hell Liberty would have given UNI a better game.xlolx

Not going to say CAA is overrated - Maine's game played to UNI's strength, namely run defense. Maine 33 carries 84 yards, with majority coming in the second half.

Next week will be a different type of matchup.

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Not going to say CAA is overrated - Maine's game played to UNI's strength, namely run defense. Maine 33 carries 84 yards, with majority coming in the second half.

Had 30 yards in 3.5quarters....

rcny46
November 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM

I'm not sure it will be that much different.UNH will have to run if their passing game is going to be effective.They didn't exactly scorch SIU on the ground today and you guys have a better rushing defense than the Salukis.

Mntneer
November 29th, 2008, 07:23 PM
It seems this game confirmed what we all suspected....Maine was the worst possible pick for #16. Congrats UNI; we're looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks ;)

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Where is GoBlackBears who predicted 200 yards rushing outta Maine?

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
UNH Fans!!!! Who's coming??? PM ME!!!!

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM
It seems this game confirmed what we all suspected....Maine was the worst possible pick for #16. Congrats UNI; we're looking forward to seeing you guys in a couple of weeks ;)

Confirmed? It was the #3 seed at home vs the last team in.We have know way of knowing if W&M,Liberty or even Elon would have done any better.

Mntneer
November 29th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Confirmed? It was the #3 seed at home vs the last team in.We have know way of knowing if W&M,Liberty or even Elon would have done any better.

Any of them would have been hard pressed to do worse...xcoffeex

Cincy App
November 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Good win UNI - congrats! Maine shows it did not belong in the field! In fairness though, there were only 7 deserving at large teams.

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Where is GoBlackBears who predicted 200 yards rushing outta Maine?

I meant that Maine would rush for 200 yards if they played 8 quarters against UNI.xlolx

Congrats to UNI who was clearly the better team. Good luck against the Wildcats next weekend. I'll be rooting for UNH but we have a couple nicknames for their hockey team up here Maine. It might be appropriate for their football team as well.

First nickname: The University of No Hardware xasswhipx

Second nickname: The UNH MILDCATS...

Finally, I have to confess that I felt Maine didn't deserve to be playing today. I was happy they were in the post-season, but William and Mary made a great case for why they should have been playing UNI today instead of Maine. All the numbers were equal with one big exception. W&M beat UNH and Maine didn't plain and simple.

Good luck to the remaining CAA teams I'll be rooting for you.xthumbsupx

ValleyChamp
November 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
UNI was just plain better than Maine, in every way. No way to tell if other teams that didn't make it in would have done better, but I don't see any way that Maine could have won that game. Quite frankly, it could have been alot worse than it was.

UNH SUPERFAN
November 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM

You won't be seeing them, you'll be playing New Hampshire in 2 weeks.

ValleyChamp
November 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM
You won't be seeing them, you'll be playing New Hampshire in 2 weeks.

Oh, that sounds like it will be an interesting basketball game between the two schools. I hadn't realized that they are scheduled to play each other in basketball this year...xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure it will be that much different.UNH will have to run if their passing game is going to be effective.They didn't exactly scorch SIU on the ground today and you guys have a better rushing defense than the Salukis.

I think UNH had 120 yds net rushing and 14 first downs, but hey, it was good enough to send me to crapsville. I don't want to say this on the UNH/SIU thread and sound like a sore loser, but comparing your QB to Santos is still a little premature.

clenz
November 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Had 30 yards in 3.5quarters....
And 31 of that last 50 came on a reverse, then 10 more on a draw play the very next play.

Blue42
November 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I thought Maine brought a solid team to the dome. They had a lot of good looking athletes at the skill positions and some good team speed. They were a bit undersized on the OL and DL and I think that caught up with them against UNI.

Clearly they need to get someone into the QB slot who can throw the ball. Brusco was a gutsy guy and not afraid to run it into a brick wall, but he can't get you back in the game once you're down 2 scores. He just doesn't want to throw the ball.

UNI played a good but not great game. Made a lot of mistakes early and may have got lucky on a couple of fumbles called down in 1Q.

But Maine would have needed a LOT of breaks to stay in that game for 4 quarters.

Khan4Cats
November 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
UNI and other MVFC fans said it on here, and UNI fans tried to tell the handful of Maine fans that were on Panthernation... If Maine couldn't pass, they wouldn't win. Run defense is UNI's specialty.

As it was, the best throw of the day when Maine was on offense came from the back-judge who called a holding on an option play in the 4th quarter. Dang, he was backpedaling at around the 10 and landed his flag just past the 35 at the line of scrimmage where the hold took place. Distance AND Accuracy. Very impressive.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
All I have to say is f*** your sledgehammer. Leave that at home. Seems stupid to do that on the road.

strike00
November 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
congrats to Maine on going from a 4-7 season to making the playoffs. It looks like a young team (if I remember right) that should keep improving.

It was a good match up for UNI and tough match up for Maine. Maine is a one dimensional team with that dimension being UNI's best strength. The WIU syndrome.

Big Al
November 29th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Coming back from the game, I want to give props to Maine for playing a full game. It was pretty clear by the end of the 1st half that they couldn't keep up with UNI but the players never quit and -- with the exception of the 2 personal fouls on the TD to go to 33 -- never pulled any stupid stunts.

Turcotte showed flashes but without consistent holes from his O-line couldn't produce any yardage.

Finally, that int against Grace was the flukiest play! He hit his receiver right in the hands, but it must have been a rifle shot because it popped up into the air and the Maine player was in the right place at the right time.

Good luck to Maine in the future -- I'd like to invite you to come back but I'd recommend staying off the football field if you want to enjoy your time here...

ValleyChamp
November 29th, 2008, 11:43 PM
All I have to say is f*** your sledgehammer. Leave that at home. Seems stupid to do that on the road.

LOL

UNI Pike
November 30th, 2008, 12:15 AM

Does not compute-

bainsey
November 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
If Maine couldn't pass, they wouldn't win.
Exactly. This team hasn't thrown the ball effectively since Adam Farkes went down at Delaware, and somehow, Maine found ways to win six straight and make the post-season. But, as I've said before, Maine has workhorses; UNI has thoroughbreds.

If you still think Maine didn't deserve a playoff spot, let's review. The only other choices were Elon, Liberty, and William & Mary. Elon and Liberty played weaker schedules, so that eliminates them. W&M had seven wins, Maine had eight, and the losses between them all washed. W&M got edged out.

You can speculate all day that so-and-so would have done better, but we'll never know. All I know is that if Maine wants to go from playoff contender to national contender, my boys in blue better get some thoroughbreds and a passing game.

WMTribe90
November 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM
If you still think Maine didn't deserve a playoff spot, let's review. The only other choices were Elon, Liberty, and William & Mary. Elon and Liberty played weaker schedules, so that eliminates them. W&M had seven wins, Maine had eight, and the losses between them all washed. W&M got edged out.

You can speculate all day that so-and-so would have done better, but we'll never know. All I know is that if Maine wants to go from playoff contender to national contender, my boys in blue better get some thoroughbreds and a passing game.

Maine and WM were both 5-3 in conference. Both lost to JMU and UR. Maine lost at home to UNH. WM beat UNH at UNH. WM strength of schedule was slightly higher by virtue of having to play in the CAA South and playing Villanova. WM was only team in contention to beat a top ten ranked team and playoff participant. WM was ranked higher in the GPI than Maine. The top four teams in the south went 12-0 against the CAA North. At the end of the day the only rationale for selecting Maine over WM is a win over Iona, probably the worst team in DI. Don't see how that trumps beating a playoff team, when Maine didn't even beat a ranked opponent.

That all said, I doubt WM would have faired much or any better at UNI.

Blue42
November 30th, 2008, 09:32 PM

I did have to laugh a bit when I saw the player who had to carry the sledgehammer back off the field after the game, sheepishly walking past some of the UNI players heading for the locker room.

He was holding it inconspicuously by his side...xrolleyesx

That could not have been fun.

Purple For Life
November 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I missed something--sledgehammer?

clenz
November 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I missed something--sledgehammer?
Apparently they think it's cool to pound a sledgehammer into the field before the game....xconfusedx

Joke is on the guy who did it though. The reverb caused by the cement under the turf had to feel real nice.

ValleyChamp
November 30th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Apparently they think it's cool to pound a sledgehammer into the field before the game....xconfusedx

Joke is on the guy who did it though. The reverb caused by the cement under the turf had to feel real nice.

haha. Thats pretty funny.

I agree too, that had to be pretty embarassing for the dude that has to carry it off the field after a loss.

Purple For Life
November 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM

WTF? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

You'd have thought they'd have researched that before they came here, huh? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's one of the dumber team rituals I've seen... xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

ValleyChamp
November 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Too bad they didn't try to bring a flag and stick it in the field. That would have been funny.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
He doesn't actually swing the sledge, and as someone who swings a sledge at times in his line of work, it doesn't hurt when you hit cement. That's what it's used for. :D

clenz
December 1st, 2008, 10:06 PM
He doesn't actually swing the sledge, and as someone who swings a sledge at times in his line of work, it doesn't hurt when you hit cement. That's what it's used for. :DThat's if your expecting it. If you are expecting turf and get cement it might not feel so good.