PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the top 4 seeds?

Cocky
April 28th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Furman
Montana
Northern Iowa
New Hampshire

In no order as of today.

DaGriz
April 28th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I would be suprised if we are in the top 4. We still don't have a starting QB. I think JMU will be in the top 4. It seems like they didn't lose to many players. I think EWU will be ranked high as well. They have some studs coming back.

Tribe4SF
April 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Furman
UMass
Northern Iowa
Eastern Wash.

putter
April 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM
It will be interesting to see because the strong teams will have a good nucleus coming back. The Griz have their D but without QB experience a top 4 would be tough.

rcny46
April 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Eastern Washington
Furman
Northern Iowa
JMU

TheValleyRaider
April 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
JMU
Furman
UNI
EWU

CatFan22
April 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Watch out for Montana State. They could be a big sleeper.

igo4uni
April 28th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Well, it's nice to see UNI getting some love on this fine forum. I have to agree that the Panthers are going to be tough this year. Last year was a huge disappointment in Pantherland. We had some very close, tough losses that kept us out of the playoffs. I look for the team to be out to prove themselves. Other than our trip to Iowa City in Sept., I really think that the Panthers can run the table this coming year.

peace

igo4uni

Ronbo
April 28th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Georgia Southern
Furman
James Madison
Northern Iowa

The Big Sky will be way down this year. Only 2 to the playoffs and one and out for both.

pete4256
April 28th, 2005, 08:44 PM
"Georgia Southern
Furman
James Madison
Northern Iowa

The Big Sky will be way down this year. Only 2 to the playoffs and one and out for both."

--Noway, man. Don't say that. GSU is WAY down. We probably won't finish .500 this year. My picks :cool: :

James Madison
Delaware
William and Mary
Montana

Lapper
April 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM
before the tourney:
UNI
EWU
JMU (if they survive CCU :) )
Going out on a limb ...UTC

after the tourney:

well ... that's the beauty of I-AA :D

youwouldno
April 28th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Furman
Eastern Washington
Delaware
Lehigh

Of course something like this is a shot in the dark, but it is unlikely the 4 most talented teams make the semifinals... Lehigh had a tough defense and if that continues they could make the postseason and have some success.

colgate13
April 29th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Hofstra
WKU
SE. LA
and...

Colgate!

Not serious of course, it's WAY too early to prognosticate like this!

mlbowl
April 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
1. JMU
2. Eastern Washington
3,4..............flip a coin

89Hen
April 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Noway, man. Don't say that. GSU is WAY down. We probably won't finish .500 this year. My picks :cool: :

James Madison
Delaware
William and Mary
Montana

Not a chance. I'm thinking more like

Georgia Southern
Furman
Montana
Eastern Washington :D

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 09:03 AM
New Hampshire (great schedule plus good team)
Georgia Southern (get Furman in Statesboro this year I believe)
Montana (I think EWU goes to Missoula this year??)
W. Illinois (Gateway's pretty good about getting a top team in there)

ChickenMan
April 29th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Del St
VMI
Elon
Holy Cross

:dizzy:

:D :D :p

Killsback
April 29th, 2005, 09:48 AM
SIU will be a Top 4 seed again this year. The "D" is even better than last year and the "O" line is new but very good. Look for the Saluki running machine to once agin put up huge numbers in the Gateway. Jacobs is gone, but Whitlock, Turner and Jackson are all back behind Gateway Offensive Player of the Year Joel Sambursky.

DaGriz
April 29th, 2005, 10:05 AM

In Washington or in Montana, it's doesn't matter, it's still a home game for the Griz. :D EWU travels to Missoula this year.

What about UNH? They had a frosh. QB if I'm not mistaken(Santos?) and it seems like they had a real young team over all. They won a lot of games on the road I have to think they would be ranked pretty high.

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 10:09 AM
What about UNH? They had a frosh. QB if I'm not mistaken(Santos?) and it seems like they had a real young team over all. They won a lot of games on the road I have to think they would be ranked pretty high.

Yup, that's why I had UNH as a top 4 seed - they have an easy OOC schedule (UC Davis, Dartmouth, and Iona), they don't play JMU or UD, and their only tough road games are W&M and UMass. Plus they return a lot of people (but will miss their RB from last year more than people know). As long as Santos doesn't go in the tank in a sophomore slump UNH could very well be the A10 champ this year.

ISUMatt
April 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Western Kentucky
New Hampshire
Montana
Gerogia Southern

Ronbo
April 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Yup, that's why I had UNH as a top 4 seed - they have an easy OOC schedule (UC Davis, Dartmouth, and Iona), they don't play JMU or UD, and their only tough road games are W&M and UMass. Plus they return a lot of people (but will miss their RB from last year more than people know). As long as Santos doesn't go in the tank in a sophomore slump UNH could very well be the A10 champ this year.

I wouldn't put UC Davis in that easy catagory. It would be a tremendous mistake to overlook the Aggies. We'll be watching them on ESPN in a few years as they make no bones that I-AA is just a stepping stone to the WAC.

ISUMatt
April 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM
:nod:
I wouldn't put UC Davis in that easy catagory. It would be a tremendous mistake to overlook the Aggies. We'll be watching them on ESPN in a few years as they make no bones that I-AA is just a stepping stone to the WAC.

:nod: :nod: Great point!!!

rcny46
April 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
New Hampshire will not even finish at the top of their division of the A-10 next season.They just have too many holes to fill.It amazes me that some people feel that they will qualify for the playoffs.

Pard94
April 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Furman
Eastern Washington
Delaware
Lehigh

Of course something like this is a shot in the dark, but it is unlikely the 4 most talented teams make the semifinals... Lehigh had a tough defense and if that continues they could make the postseason and have some success.

Other than that...good picks.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM
rcny46,

I thought UNH had about 75% of the two deep returning? That doesn't seem to be too overwhelming to overcome, especially compared to previous years. The OL is only missing one starter from last year, the TE (Williams) returns, a top WR (Brown) returns and Santos and Ball return. I've read that the redshirt freshman class includes a good RB and WR along with Chris Ward returning at RB. That doesn't sound too dire.

Now, I agree that there are more holes on the defensive side of the ball, but I'm hoping that returnees (ex. Sawyer, Dix, Barbato, etc.) and redshirt freshman can step up. If recruiting has improved as advertised, then there should be talent to fill those defensive holes.

I'm optimistic, but I'm also a realist having seen first hand how competitive the A-10 is. Last year's Hofstra and Northeastern games easily could have gone the other way and UNH wouldn't have been in the playoffs. Predicting the A-10 is always a risky business. But based on last year's play, this year's schedule and the number of returning players, I can understand how people could predict UNH.

Do you have some inside knowledge that the holes are even more significant?

eaglefan452
April 29th, 2005, 01:28 PM
It is way too early for me to be able to guess the top 4 seeds. Furman, Delaware, UNH, JMU, and maybe GSU will all be up there in the mix, but there is no way that I can give an intelligent guess at this point.

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Didn't mean to insuate that UC Davis was the easy part of the OOC schedule - they've been successful at every level and there's no reason to think they won't here. On top of that, UNH has to travel out to the coast and UC Davis will be anxious to give the Great West a big win over a good A10 team. Clearly this is UNH's best and toughest OOC game.

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
As I've said before, the UC Davis game should tell alot about UNH. Petersen and Thomas will be missed on defense, and as GF points out, Harvey is a big loss.

Tod
April 30th, 2005, 03:07 AM
The scarey thing to this Griz fan is that, in my opinion, three of the best quarterbacks in I-AA will be in the Big Sky next year, and none of them will be playing for us.

Meyer, Lulay and Muriata (sp?) will be three of the best QB's in I-AA, maybe three of the top seven or eight.

I know a QB doesn't make a team alone, but it's a pretty important position...

CrunchGriz
April 30th, 2005, 04:06 AM
The scarey thing to this Griz fan is that, in my opinion, three of the best quarterbacks in I-AA will be in the Big Sky next year, and none of them will be playing for us.

...as far as we know right now.

I'm not giving up on young Mr. Bergquist quite yet. He may be a world beater, or he may not--we just have no way of knowing at this point. Probably not to open the season, as a redshirt freshman, but the pressure is a little less severe with a veteran offensive line and a great running back....

Ronbo
April 30th, 2005, 09:11 AM
...as far as we know right now.

I'm not giving up on young Mr. Bergquist quite yet. He may be a world beater, or he may not--we just have no way of knowing at this point. Probably not to open the season, as a redshirt freshman, but the pressure is a little less severe with a veteran offensive line and a great running back....

Plus a Defense that returns 22 lettermen, 8 starters, and 3 players that split time with the starters, including two backup Linebackers that many considered better than the 2004 Senior starters.

On Offense we have only 5 starters back, but the backup TE is a better receiver than the starter was, we have 3 starting offensive linemen back plus two players that started the second half of the season at Center and Guard. We have our back up running back that was first team Big Sky and a starting receiver back. We have a really good looking 6'3" receiver that transferred in from Oklahoma State, and two RS Freshmen receivers that will be impact players and future stars. One of these Freshmen is Matt Troxel, 2 time Idaho Offensive Player of the Year who chose Montana over an offer fron Boise State because his Dad played at Montana and he knew he would have an opportunity to start 4 years. This kid could be All Conference as a Freshman.

Question mark? QB. We'll see what happens there. Bergquist was the 78th rated QB coming out of HS in 2003 and the highest rated QB to sign with a I-AA. He is a pretty accurate thrower. I think he is at least as good as John Edwards was, could turn out better.

Will we win the Big Sky? They say Defense wins championships and our Defense is going to be pretty good. We have EWU and PSU at home. I like our chances.

Down with the Foe!
April 30th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Will we win the Big Sky? They say Defense wins championships and our Defense is going to be pretty good. We have EWU and PSU at home. I like our chances.

It'll take a "W" in Bozeman to do it outright and possibly to share...

I like our chances.

I am predicting a similar situation as last year.

lots of home games, (like 9 or 10 including playoff's) means a return to chatty for my boys.

Go Griz

:rolleyes:

I want those JMU punks and a good playing surface....regardless of who is running the offense. (sorry but I hate the JMU OL and want another shot at them suns a britches)

Cap'n Cat
April 30th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Speculating this far in advance is just stupid as *****, guys.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
Then again, no one ever mistook Cap'n Cat for Albert Einstein!!!!!!

1. Eastern Washington
2. Georgia Southern
3. Northern Iowa
4. Delaware

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rcny46
May 1st, 2005, 08:15 PM
I think it will take more than Santos and Ball to turn UNH's season into a playoff bound one.They have major deficiencies all over the place.Their defense was only so so last year,giving up a lot of points.I just don't see any quality replacements for those that graduated.They also don't have a proven replacement for Harvey at RB,and they have no quarterbacks behind Santos with ANY experience-just one red shirt,and three incoming frosh.

blackfordpu
May 1st, 2005, 10:24 PM
I'm thinking:
Montana
Delaware
W&M
Sam Houston

Four great teams.

Hopefully Sam can pull it together under a new coach this year and turn some more heads. With a new young and mobile QB at the lead and most of the defense returning we should be a contender again.

Tribe4SF
May 1st, 2005, 10:34 PM
I'm thinking:
Montana
Delaware
W&M
Sam Houston

Four great teams.

Hopefully Sam can pull it together under a new coach this year and turn some more heads. With a new young and mobile QB at the lead and most of the defense returning we should be a contender again.

As I recall, didn't you lose most of the catchers as well as the thrower? How does your receiving corps look?

blackfordpu
May 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM
Recieving core looks a little drab at the moment but we do have a few players we hope will pick up the slack. We also have returning TE Corey Roberts who will be a big part of the offense this season. He has great hands and speed at the TE position and will cause problems for the defense.

We did lose Long but Allen is no slouch. He is a transfer from OU. He has a pretty accurate arm and great speed at the QB position. TT thinks that the Kats may add the option to their playbook this season because of Allen's speed and I have to agree. The option can be unstoppable if run correctly.

polsongrizz
May 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Okay I have read the thread...I don't care who the other guys are, chances are good we can beat them. so long as one of those names say "Montana" is all I care about. :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: ;) ;)

ChickenMan
May 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Okay I have read the thread...I don't care who the other guys are, chances are good we can beat them. so long as one of those names say "Montana" is all I care about. :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: ;) ;)

Like in Montana... State :D

ChickenMan
May 2nd, 2005, 09:50 AM
Delaware has far too question marks across both the offensive and defensive lines to be considered for a top seed. I'm particularly concerned about the developement of the OL... if they play well... UD could be back in the playoffs.. if not... it could be a rebuilding year.

Saluki_man
May 2nd, 2005, 11:24 AM
New Hampshire (great schedule plus good team)
Georgia Southern (get Furman in Statesboro this year I believe)
W. Illinois (Gateway's pretty good about getting a top team in there)

If your gonna pick a gateway team for a top seed, it won't be WIU. That D has given up way too many points in the past to be trusted to win a lot.

leatherneck177
May 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM
Northern Iowa
James Madison
Montana State
UMass

In no particular order.

polsongrizz
May 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Like in Montana... State :D
Oh you chickensh** mutha of an iraqui dog..."No Virgins for you" ;)

igo4uni
May 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM
Northern Iowa
James Madison
Montana State
UMass

In no particular order.

I like that order. :)

peace

igo4uni

DemiGS
May 3rd, 2005, 03:30 AM
:rolleyes:

I want those JMU punks and a good playing surface....regardless of who is running the offense. (sorry but I hate the JMU OL and want another shot at them suns a britches)

Well if the surface was the deciding factor..you should probably add at least one more NC to GSU. ( see my earlier post)