PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Chris Fowler Picks Weber State Over Cal Poly

UNCBears2010
November 29th, 2008, 10:54 AM
During Saturday Selections, Fowler used his upset alert to pick Weber State to beat Cal Poly, citing the Mustangs' crushing loss at Wisconsin last week and the fact that they may not be able to bounce back.

Discuss

redspider
November 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I thought that it was the other way around that he picked Cal Poly to "come back after a bad loss and beat Weber State. It was confusing because the graphic was different from what he said. The graphic said that Cal Poly was on upset alert but he said that he though they would win?

coover
November 29th, 2008, 11:22 AM
During Saturday Selections, Fowler used his upset alert to pick Weber State to beat Cal Poly, citing the Mustangs' crushing loss at Wisconsin last week and the fact that they may not be able to bounce back.

Discuss

Yes, Poly lost last week at Wisconsin. But was the defeat "crushing"? Poly was expected to lose the game bigtime. For some folks, if Poly stayed within 3 touchdowns of Wisconsin, they would have considered it a bad day for Wisconsin. But Poly actually outplayed Wisconsin and, under normal circumstances, should have beaten them. Poly's kicker, who had made about 96 % of his PAT attempts this year, had a very bad day (by the way, I don't expect that will happen again), and they would have won the game if that hadn't happened. Poly's offense believes they won the game. Poly's defense felt they won the game. Only one player on the entire team actually felt the loss.

Poly is going into this game feeling very good about themselves. They know what they are capable of and where their weaknesses are. The loss last week will have no effect on their play today.

That, however, may not be true about Weber State. Last week a confident Wildcat team went into Eastern Washington and lost a game they thought they would win. THAT WAS A DEVASTATING LOSS. During the last week, they thought as much about that game as they did of the game with Poly. To say they were distracted is an understatement, but I'll say it anyway. WEBER STATE WAS DISTRACTED THIS WEEK.

Weber State is a good team. They may win the game, but, I think, it is highly unlikely.

dprichar
November 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I hope I'm wrong but I've got to dissagree with coover. I think there's at least some resentment about the loss last week. Maybe enough to mess up the chemistry on our team. My hope is that Gardner is able to come through in this game with an important kick. I think that would go a long way to restoring his confidence (which has to be at zero), and maybe mending some fences between him and the rest of the team. We will not go far in the playoffs unless we have at least some kicking game.