PDA

View Full Version : Coulson's Picks For the Playoffs

ASU_Pads
November 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
"QUICK PICKS

In the first round, I see Wofford using its rushing attack to keep Rodney Landers and company off the field as the Terriers score another first-round upset. Preparing for the option in one week is a huge task for the Dukes, who are thin at linebacker.

Villanova has one of the top run defenses in the country and that doesn't bode well for a ground-oriented Colgate attack. The Wildcats won't be worn down in the second half like most PL opponents Colgate has beaten.

Montana should make quick work of a Texas State club that is probably the biggest surprise in the field.

Cal Poly and Weber State should keep the scoreboard busy, but Cal Poly's offense should prove too much for the Wildcats, who don't see option offenses very often. The Mustangs will hope the game doesn't come down to a final kick.

Appalachian State might struggle with South Carolina State early, but eventually, the Mountaineers should be able to outscore the Bulldogs and win comfortably.

Richmond's defense was able to force turnovers against Eastern Kentucky last year, and the Spiders should be able to win on that side of the ball again.

Run-oriented teams from Northern Iowa and Maine should play a close game, with two defenses that thrive on stopping the run as well. UNI is also getting healthy on offense. This game will likely come down to turnovers, and the fact the Panthers are at home in the tough UNI Dome.

Southern Illinois and New Hampshire provide probably the best game of contrasts in the first round. SIU like to run, UNH like to pass. SIU is stronger on defense, UNH is better on offense. But the Salukis should be able to slow the Wildcats down enough to win at home.

LOOKING AHEAD

My picks to reach the semifinals are Villanova, Cal Poly, Appalachian State and Northern Iowa, with Cal Poly and Appalachian State reaching this year's championship game. Cal Poly and Appalachian State would make for a great title contest, but expect ASU to continue its reign with a fourth consecutive national title."

What do you think?

SideLine Shooter
November 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM
"QUICK PICKS

In the first round, I see Wofford using its rushing attack to keep Rodney Landers and company off the field as the Terriers score another first-round upset. Preparing for the option in one week is a huge task for the Dukes, who are thin at linebacker.

Villanova has one of the top run defenses in the country and that doesn't bode well for a ground-oriented Colgate attack. The Wildcats won't be worn down in the second half like most PL opponents Colgate has beaten.

Montana should make quick work of a Texas State club that is probably the biggest surprise in the field.

Cal Poly and Weber State should keep the scoreboard busy, but Cal Poly's offense should prove too much for the Wildcats, who don't see option offenses very often. The Mustangs will hope the game doesn't come down to a final kick.

Appalachian State might struggle with South Carolina State early, but eventually, the Mountaineers should be able to outscore the Bulldogs and win comfortably.

Richmond's defense was able to force turnovers against Eastern Kentucky last year, and the Spiders should be able to win on that side of the ball again.

Run-oriented teams from Northern Iowa and Maine should play a close game, with two defenses that thrive on stopping the run as well. UNI is also getting healthy on offense. This game will likely come down to turnovers, and the fact the Panthers are at home in the tough UNI Dome.

Southern Illinois and New Hampshire provide probably the best game of contrasts in the first round. SIU like to run, UNH like to pass. SIU is stronger on defense, UNH is better on offense. But the Salukis should be able to slow the Wildcats down enough to win at home.

LOOKING AHEAD

My picks to reach the semifinals are Villanova, Cal Poly, Appalachian State and Northern Iowa, with Cal Poly and Appalachian State reaching this year's championship game. Cal Poly and Appalachian State would make for a great title contest, but expect ASU to continue its reign with a fourth consecutive national title."

What do you think?

I like it.xthumbsupx

th0m
November 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Couldn't have expected anything else from Coulson.

WildcatFan
November 27th, 2008, 07:24 AM
That's ok, here's to three CAA teams proving him wrongxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Saint3333
November 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Even if he's wrong he'll be 3-1 the last 4 years.

I don't think he got the JMU first round game right, but the rest of his picks wouldn't shock the FCS world. Nova, Cal Poly, ASU, and UNI are all solid teams that could make the semis and all of them (plus Richmond, Montana, and JMU) could win it all. I can't remember a bracket that had 7 teams that were this close to each other and could win it all.

Grizzaholic
November 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM

You got that right.

UNI Pike
November 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Coulson pickes ASU to win it all xeekx I am shocked, shocked I say!

appst97
November 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
That's ok, here's to three CAA teams proving him wrongxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

The CAA sent 3 teams to face the Mountaineers last year as well....how'd that work out for you?

smallcollegefbfan
November 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Who should he have picked to win the title?

I think if JMU makes it past Villanova, which he is not projecting, then the bracket might be different. We all know how difficult it is to beat a team twice in one year and he obviously knew that when he made the picks.

Most people expect App to win it all and until someone else beats them they are the champs.

art vandelay
November 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM
The CAA sent 3 teams to face the Mountaineers last year as well....how'd that work out for you?

what does that have to do with anything?

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Who should he have picked to win the title?

I think if JMU makes it past Villanova, which he is not projecting, then the bracket might be different. We all know how difficult it is to beat a team twice in one year and he obviously knew that when he made the picks.

Most people expect App to win it all and until someone else beats them they are the champs.Who else? How about the #1 seed? To beat a team twice in one year is only possible if they play twice. Obviously you as an App homer say "Most people expect App to win it all" (you could post your proof of this) but this is AGS and App has been beaten this year.

Skjellyfetti
November 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Who else? How about the #1 seed? To beat a team twice in one year is only possible if they play twice. Obviously you as an App homer say "Most people expect App to win it all" (you could post your proof of this) but this is AGS and App has been beaten this year.

But, is it that ridiculous to pick the number two seed? The favorites, in my mind, would be JMU, Montana, Cal Poly, and Appalachian. Which of those teams has the most playoff experience? xwhistlex

WMTribe90
November 27th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I don't have a problem with Coulson picking ASU to win it all. That's a realistic pick, though far from certain. Where Coulson once again shows his pro-SoCon and anti-CAA bias is picking only two CAA teams to advance. I'm sure that's what he hopes happens, so he can rail on the committee for taking 5 CAA teams again. JMU is favored at home and UNH and Maine are fully capable of pulling the upsets. I see at least three CAA teams advancing, as would most objective observers.

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
The favorites, in my mind, would be JMU, Montana, Cal Poly, and Appalachian. Which of those teams has the most playoff experience? xwhistlexThat would be Montana. xwhistlex

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Who else? How about the #1 seed? To beat a team twice in one year is only possible if they play twice. Obviously you as an App homer say "Most people expect App to win it all" (you could post your proof of this) but this is AGS and App has been beaten this year.I meant to say "He COULD have picked the No. 1 seed." in response to the question "Who else?" You know, the No. 1 seed that has already beaten ASU this year? I do think ASU has a better chance than most to win it all but not everyone expects it like some homers do. I don't think Coulson expected App losing ANY game this year so yes, it is no surprise he thinks they will win the championship. It's not going out on the limb with that prediction, it's just his opinion which he gets paid to give. xtwocentsx

AZGrizFan
November 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I meant to say "He COULD have picked the No. 1 seed." in response to the question "Who else?" You know, the No. 1 seed that has already beaten ASU this year? I do think ASU has a better chance than most to win it all but not everyone expects it like some homers do. I don't think Coulson expected App losing ANY game this year so yes, it is no surprise he thinks they will win the championship. It's not going out on the limb with that prediction, it's just his opinion which he gets paid to give. xtwocentsx

Why are people who think ASU will win it all automatically "homers"? Because you're absolutely right---it's NOT going out on a limb to predict that... xconfusedx xconfusedx

Skjellyfetti
November 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
That would be Montana. xwhistlex

I said which team has more playoff experience. Montana as a program certainly has the most. Montana's seniors have seen 5 playoff games. Appalachian's seniors have seen 12.

AZGrizFan
November 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I said which team has more playoff experience. Montana as a program certainly has the most. Montana's seniors have seen 5 playoff games. Appalachian's seniors have seen 12.

Exactly. The remind me of the old Lakers....cruise control until the playoffs....then the REAL season begins... xeekx

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I said which team has more playoff experience. Montana as a program certainly has the most. Montana's seniors have seen 5 playoff games. Appalachian's seniors have seen 12.Ah, which team's players have the most playoff experience. I understand now. I wondered why you asked that obvious question.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
App. gets as many games as they can make it to in Boone, and in Chatty they have a quasi-home field advantage because of the city's location. It's not a homer pick.

Skjellyfetti
November 27th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Ah, which team's players have the most playoff experience. I wondered why you asked that obvious question.

Well, that's the only one that has any application to this year's playoffs..... Having a group of players that have a large amount of experience in the postseason (and winning in the postseason) is a huge advantage, imo. I don't know if that makes Appalachian the favorites... but, I was just making the point that it is far from ridiculous to pick them to win it.

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM
App. gets as many games as they can make it to in Boone, and in Chatty they have a quasi-home field advantage because of the city's location. It's not a homer pick.I never said Coulson's pick was a homer one. xrulesx

Tribe4SF
November 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Picking ASU is fine. Picking Wofford to beat JMU is a homer job. JMU is the most similar team to ASU, and we all saw what an athletic QB running a rapid fire spread did to the Terriers. JMU's team speed will be too much for Wofford, just as ASU's was, provided Mickey doesn't coach it into a close call (remember the W&M game, Mick! Go vertical!).

Hoyadestroya85
November 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know why, but Coulson seems to love Villanova.. maybe that's why i'm a fan of his and most other CAA people aren't

charliej
November 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I don't know why, but Coulson seems to love Villanova.. maybe that's why i'm a fan of his and most other CAA people aren't

Maybe now,he sure didn't show any last season.

ASU_Pads
November 27th, 2008, 06:47 PM
That would be Montana. xwhistlex

With the players currently on the roster?xwhistlex

Montana has a great program. I'm not slamming them at all, but what good is experience if they made deep runs into the playoffs before the previous four-five years? The coaching staff may have been there, but the boys on the field haven't. Appalachian has played 12 playoff games in the past four years. I'm not positive that's the most, but it's quite a bit. I feel like that was a viable statement and you just tried to be cute with a comeback that didn't make a lot of sense.

ASU_Pads
November 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM
With the players currently on the roster?xwhistlex

Montana has a great program. I'm not slamming them at all, but what good is experience if they made deep runs into the playoffs before the previous four-five years? The coaching staff may have been there, but the boys on the field haven't. Appalachian has played 12 playoff games in the past four years. I'm not positive that's the most, but it's quite a bit. I feel like that was a viable statement and you just tried to be cute with a comeback that didn't make a lot of sense.

Woops, my bad Syntax. That was already brought up.

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 07:47 PM
... what good is experience if they [haven't] made deep runs into the playoffs before the previous four-five years? The coaching staff may have been there, but the boys on the field haven't. Appalachian has played 12 playoff games in the past four years. I'm not positive that's the most, but it's quite a bit.The team with the most playoff experienced players is most likely the Mountaineers. Montana was one and done last year, barely lost in the semis in 2006, one and done in 2005, played in the champ game in 2004. So that's 9 and a couple deep runs. Since App St didn't make the playoffs in 2004, they have 12. I'm not sure but I would think that Youngstown State and Eastern Kentucky have the record for most playoff games in a four year stretch, reaching the champ game four straight times.

Edge316007
November 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well, 2004 doesn't really matter since no one currently on the team played for App that year. All the current seniors were freshmen in 2005, sophomores in 2006 and juniors last year.

alexale23
November 27th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I think he is smoking crack again

Boots Harvey
November 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'm a SoCon fan; however, I agree w/ the criticism of Coulson. He certainly lacks credibility in his position. Of course, App State is one of the favorites to "win it all" this year, but many would agree that Coulson would say that even if App State was not even in the playoffs.

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Picking ASU is fine. Picking Wofford to beat JMU is a homer job. JMU is the most similar team to ASU, and we all saw what an athletic QB running a rapid fire spread did to the Terriers. JMU's team speed will be too much for Wofford, just as ASU's was, provided Mickey doesn't coach it into a close call (remember the W&M game, Mick! Go vertical!).

Well a lot of people think Wofford can beat JMU not just Wofford fans and Coulson.

Syntax Error
November 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Well, 2004 doesn't really matter ...I was responding to the member who said "the last four years." xcoffeex

BTW Marshall played in five champ games in six years.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=division-i-football-championship-playoff&disp=single&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Edge316007
November 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Well the original poster was talking about playoff experience. Save for a few players, 2004 doesn't really matter since most of them weren't on the team.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 27th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I was responding to the member who said "the last four years." xcoffeex

BTW Marshall played in five champ games in six years.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=division-i-football-championship-playoff&disp=single&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The poor Thundering Terd, what are they doing now? xcoffeex ;)

rcny46
November 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
what does that have to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing.

Jerbearasu
November 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM

I don't think it's a homer job to pick Wofford but it would definitely be an upset. Preparing for Wofford's form of the option is tough to do in one week. With this offense more so than any other, if one player is out of position or doesn't make the play then it is a huge gain. Even if everyone is in the right position it will still gain a few yards and that helps Wofford just pound away at the clock.

The problem with this offense is much like what you saw against App; if they have a few drives stall or they have to get away from what they normally do, things can snowball in a hurry. For them to be successful they need to keep it close because it is hard for them to play from behind.

OL FU
November 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I haven't read the thread but I can imagine some of the comments. I think it was a very good opinion piece. First he is dead on with five teams from a conference. at some point you just have to say that it ridiculous. Hell give Liberty a shot. Second, as we have discuss here the pairings maybe geographically expedient, but outside of that the made no sense. And third, of all the teams (other than the obvious, Richmond, Villanova and App State) with a decent shot at beating JMU, Wofford certainly comes to mind. I didn't pick them to win but I thought about it a lot more than I would have thought about any other team that was not a seed or the two CAA teams I mentioned above.

Black Saturday
November 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM

The man has a good record picking the champions. He's 3-0 the last three years.;)

Black Saturday
November 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Well a lot of people think Wofford can beat JMU not just Wofford fans and Coulson.

If Wofford can get ahead and never, never kick to Scotty, Wofford can win.

appfan2008
November 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
no surprise on that pick... hope hes right!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM

People are forgetting that AE only ran for 84 yards (73 net) in the Wofford game. More than half of their offensive production was Edwards' 367 yards passing. App looked more like Texas Tech that day than they looked like JMU.

Also, historically, Wofford has never had the the most athletic defenses but they are fundamentally sound and have been able to deal with team speed. Anyone who doesn't think they can needs to watch Wofford and GSU from 2002 or 2005 or Wofford and App. from 2006 or 2007.

You guys are going to get all you can handle Saturday.

Skjellyfetti
November 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx

Whether Wofford wins or loses... this is an accurate statement.

phillyAPP
November 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
People are forgetting that AE only ran for 84 yards (73 net) in the Wofford game. More than half of their offensive production was Edwards' 367 yards passing. App looked more like Texas Tech that day than they looked like JMU.

Also, historically, Wofford has never had the the most athletic defenses but they are fundamentally sound and have been able to deal with team speed. Anyone who doesn't think they can needs to watch Wofford and GSU from 2002 or 2005 or Wofford and App. from 2006 or 2007.

I agree with the gentleman from GSU !!

Wofford will play their pads off and give JMU all it can handle.

I still cant pick a clear winner in this game.