PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Schedule Question.

OL FU
November 15th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Please understand I am using ASU for example purposes only.

How to the power ratings (Massey, Sagarin, etc) use strength of schedule ratings. In other words, do the rating groups compare the SOS on individual games only? Or is the power rating calculated by their record for the entire season using the strength of schedule rating? For example, ASU plays Furman and is favored by Sagarin by 8 points but loses by three. ASU’s power rating probably goes down because it loses to a lower rated team. However, their SOS stays about the same. On the other hand, ASU plays LSU and loses by 27 (or whatever it was). Now their strength of schedule goes through the roof. Does the rating groups at this point only take into consideration that game when revising the ratings or does the increased SOS (from the LSU game) get credited to all of their past and future games? I am probably not asking this question clearly. Where is Colgate 13 when I need him?

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Please understand I am using ASU for example purposes only.

How to the power ratings (Massey, Sagarin, etc) use strength of schedule ratings. In other words, do the rating groups compare the SOS on individual games only? Or is the power rating calculated by their record for the entire season using the strength of schedule rating? For example, ASU plays Furman and is favored by Sagarin by 8 points but loses by three. ASU’s power rating probably goes down because it loses to a lower rated team. However, their SOS stays about the same. On the other hand, ASU plays LSU and loses by 27 (or whatever it was). Now their strength of schedule goes through the roof. Does the rating groups at this point only take into consideration that game when revising the ratings or does the increased SOS (from the LSU game) get credited to all of their past and future games? I am probably not asking this question clearly. Where is Colgate 13 when I need him?

That sounds more like how the BCS figures SOS

OL FU
November 15th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Well, I am not really asking how SOS is calculated I am asking how SOS is applied toward the power rating? Let me ask via example.

and I am making these numbers up.

Let's assume before the LSU game, ASU is 7-3 and has a power rating of 80 and a SOS of 80. Let's assume that LSU has a power rating of 100 and SOS of 100(not that it matters). Forgetting home field advantage, LSU wins by the exact power rating difference (20 points). So after LSU, ASU is 7-4. Does their power rating stay at 80 because they performed exactly as expected? Or since their overall SOS goes up to say 85 do the rating groups now look at the 7-4 record with a much higher SOS and determine that ASU's power rating should be 83?

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Well, I am not really asking how SOS is calculated I am asking how SOS is applied toward the power rating? Let me ask via example.

and I am making these numbers up.

Let's assume before the LSU game, ASU is 7-3 and has a power rating of 80 and a SOS of 80. Let's assume that LSU has a power rating of 100 and SOS of 100(not that it matters). Forgetting home field advantage, LSU wins by the exact power rating difference (20 points). So after LSU, ASU is 7-4. Does their power rating stay at 80 because they performed exactly as expected? Or since their overall SOS goes up to say 85 do the rating groups now look at the 7-4 record with a much higher SOS and determine that ASU's power rating should be 83?

In "power rating" are you referring to GPI?

OL FU
November 15th, 2005, 08:02 AM
In "power rating" are you referring to GPI?

No, I am referring to the power ratings used by GPI. Sagarin, Massey, etc.

AppGuy04
November 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM
No, I am referring to the power ratings used by GPI. Sagarin, Massey, etc.

well, I think the higher the SOS, the power rating should go up, assuming nobody below them jumped more

In your example, I think the power rating would move up to 83, even after a loss, maybe not much because we don't know how much SOS is a part of the formula, it might be a huge chunk in some and a small chunk in others

SoCon48
November 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM
FWIW. It was 24-0 not 27-0 vs LSU.