PDA

View Full Version : Game Tape

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I think I remember reading last year that teams can request 3 games of tape from the opposing team.

How does games that are broadcast affect this? For instance, both Wofford and JMU have been on some kind of broadcast several times this year (I know I've seen Wofford three times in my area). Can teams use any existing tapes they can get or do they have to count those against their three?

Does anybody know?

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I would think its they can ask for three games from the team their facing and they can then use any other games tapes that they can get via other sources (so long as its not recorded by a Patriots video guy from the sideline lol)

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I would think its they can ask for three games from the team their facing and they can then use any other games tapes that they can get via other sources (so long as its not recorded by a Patriots video guy from the sideline lol)

That's my thought (although I didn't think about the Patriots guy xlolx ). Otherwise it would just be a headache to enforce.

nmatsen
November 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Now that video is on the computer, will Montana fans throw computers at the visiting teams players as the run on the field if they are not happy with the games that they get?

God, I thought the VHS tapes hurt, I can't imagine what it would feel like to get hit in the helmet with a PC.

Proud Griz Man
November 25th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Now that video is on the computer, will Montana fans throw computers at the visiting teams players as the run on the field if they are not happy with the games that they get?

God, I thought the VHS tapes hurt, I can't imagine what it would feel like to get hit in the helmet with a PC.

xlolx We will promise to quit throwing VHS tapes, if your players promise not to slug anyone in the nuts. Fair deal? xnodx

Khan4Cats
November 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
xlolx We will promise to quit throwing VHS tapes, if your players promise not to slug anyone in the nuts. Fair deal? xnodx

Can't promise that but would any of your players want to buy a dime bag?xrolleyesx

grizbeer
November 25th, 2008, 03:16 PM

imagine the cuts you would get from having dvds flung at you.

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Interesting tidbit from the FCS Championship Handbook:

Scouting of Opponents/Videotape Exchange
All exchanged videotapes will be complete and provide a “wide-angle” view of all 22 student-athletes. Videotapes of any playoff game in the championship may be exchanged. The teams shall exchange videotapes of all games played during the current season for scouting purposes. Videotapes exchanged must be obtained only from the two competing
institutions.

Is this rule new for this year? I remember the stink Keeler made last year when UNI wouldn't hand over SIU tapes to Delewhere? after last year's game.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Interesting tidbit from the FCS Championship Handbook:

Scouting of Opponents/Videotape Exchange
All exchanged videotapes will be complete and provide a “wide-angle” view of all 22 student-athletes. Videotapes of any playoff game in the championship may be exchanged. The teams shall exchange videotapes of all games played during the current season for scouting purposes. Videotapes exchanged must be obtained only from the two competing
institutions.

Is this rule new for this year? I remember the stink Keeler made last year when UNI wouldn't hand over SIU tapes to Delewhere? after last year's game.

That does seem different than last year, particularly the thing about handing over all games.

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I think I remember reading last year that teams can request 3 games of tape from the opposing team.

How does games that are broadcast affect this? For instance, both Wofford and JMU have been on some kind of broadcast several times this year (I know I've seen Wofford three times in my area). Can teams use any existing tapes they can get or do they have to count those against their three?

Does anybody know?

What you see from watching a game on TV would be pretty useless to a coach. Cant really see the field very well.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
What you see from watching a game on TV would be pretty useless to a coach. Cant really see the field very well.

You could at least see formation and play tendencies on offense and defense, including down and distance tendencies. It wouldn't help with defensive coverages, though.

It's a moot point now given the above rule, but I would think that requesting non-TV games and then obtaining TV games would be an advantage.

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
No, the rules state pretty explicitly how things are supposed to be set up. From reading the handbook, you get the impression the NCAA frowns on monkey-business with the tapes. ;)

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
The issue with Keeler is that he wanted the tapes then and now and to use our tape room. Sound right?

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Yup. When I saw the rules about tapes in the Championship handbook, I wondered if Keeler inspired it, or if it's been around for a while.

If it's the latter, it just makes him look even more douche-y.

unipnthr
November 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Which was difficult for him to accomplish.

JayJ79
November 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Yup. When I saw the rules about tapes in the Championship handbook, I wondered if Keeler inspired it, or if it's been around for a while.

The rule is exactly the same in last years Championship handbook. so it wasn't directly influenced by Keeler. at least not his hissy fit from last year. And he obviously hadn't read the rulebook regarding "Videotapes exchanged must be obtained only from the two competing institutions."