PDA

View Full Version : What If FCS Played In FBS Bowls

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
What if our teams played in the BCS. Heres how the games would look based on modified GPI as the BCS Standings. I tried to tie in conferences similarly to the the FBS for instance CAA and Big Sky tied into the Rose Bowl, SoCon with the Sugar, MVFC with Fiesta, Southland with Orange.

That leaves the other conferences looking for BCS atlarge bids.

National Championship
#1 James Madison vs #2 Villanova

Rose Bowl
#4 Richmond vs #9 Weber State

Sugar Bowl
#3 Appalachian State vs #6 New Hampshire

Fiesta Bowl
#14 Southern Illinois vs #5 Montana

Orange Bowl
#30 Texas State vs #8 California-Polytechnic

By mandating a non BCS conference team finishes above a certain point Cal-Poly gets the final at-large spot and.... Wofford get woofed.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Well, first I think they'd have to make the GPI better.

Also, the CAA would likely have a championship game between JMU and UNH. Villanova would not make the championship game for the same reason Georgia was left out last yeat -- couldn't win their division. I don't think you'd see 3 teams from one division represented,

Wofford is ranked ahead of several other at-large teams that you have in the bowls.

And, finally... would be sweet to watch Appalachian play in the Super Dome. :D

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Also, the CAA would likely have a championship game between JMU and UNH. Villanova would not make the championship game for the same reason Georgia was left out last yeat -- couldn't win their division.

Wofford is ranked ahead of several other teams you have in the bowls.

Yea, I think that a lot of the poll voters in FBS know that they are going to be affecting the BCS, so they vote accordingly. That means certain teams get moved around to accomodate the championship game.

There would be a huge outcry if JMU won the CAA and played Villanova for the national championship. Voters wouldm move around and make sure it was App and JMU.

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Also, the CAA would likely have a championship game between JMU and UNH. Villanova would not make the championship game for the same reason Georgia was left out last yeat -- couldn't win their division. I don't think you'd see 3 teams from one division represented,

Wofford is ranked ahead of several other at-large teams that you have in the bowls.

what at large teams do I have besides Cal Poly that are behind Wofford?

As for a CAA Championship game... this is going by the info we have. And you dont need to win a conf championship to make the title game its simply #1 vs #2.

CamelCityAppFan
November 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
What if our teams played in the BCS.

I'd shoot myself.

Skjellyfetti
November 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
what at large teams do I have besides Cal Poly that are behind Wofford?

As for a CAA Championship game... this is going by the info we have. And you dont need to win a conf championship to make the title game its simply #1 vs #2.

Are you using the GPI? Because JMU is 1 and App is 2.

And, in the most recent GPI Wofford is ranked below Cal Poly but above UNI and New Hampshire that you have in as auto bids. Unless I'm looking at the wrong poll.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/GPI/20081124gpi.html

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM
im using the modified GPI which the selection committee uses for the playoffs

bandl
November 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM
im using the modified GPI which the selection committee uses for the playoffs

A link would help xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53005&highlight=modified

1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Villanova (2.60)
3. Appalachian St (3.20)
4. Richmond (4.00)
5. Montana (4.80)
6. New Hampshire (6.60)
7. Wofford (6.80)
8. Cal Poly (8.20)
9. Weber St (9.60)
10. William & Mary (10.60)
11. Northern Iowa (11.00)
12. Maine (12.00)
13. Massachusetts (14.20)
14. S Illinois (14.80)
15. Cent Arkansas (15.20)
16T. Harvard (16.00)
16T. Elon (16.00)
18. Furman (20.20)
19. E Washington (22.40)
20. Liberty (22.60)

nwFL Griz
November 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ok, but you are not really following any of the BCS rules.

The BCS formula takes into account 2 polls and six computer averages. So it really shorts the system when you pick one ranking system (GPI in this case) and use it.

Also, no conference is allowed more than 2 teams...period. So if you have JMU vs. Villanova for the title, which you wouldn't really...then no Richmond and no UNH.

Also, the BCS has six auto qualifiers, so I would think you'd better throw in one more...maybe OVC or MEAC?

It's fun to see how our teams would fit in the BCS system, but if you actually follow the rules, it might make it a little more enjoyable. Less CAA teams, I know, but that's the way it rolls.

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ok, but you are not really following any of the BCS rules.

The BCS formula takes into account 2 polls and six computer averages. So it really shorts the system when you pick one ranking system (GPI in this case) and use it.

Also, no conference is allowed more than 2 teams...period. So if you have JMU vs. Villanova for the title, which you wouldn't really...then no Richmond and no UNH.

Also, the BCS has six auto qualifiers, so I would think you'd better throw in one more...maybe OVC or MEAC?

It's fun to see how our teams would fit in the BCS system, but if you actually follow the rules, it might make it a little more enjoyable. Less CAA teams, I know, but that's the way it rolls.
Doesn't the modified GPI consist of several computer rankings?

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Doesn't the modified GPI consist of several computer rankings?

yes but they are all equal... in the bcs standings all the computers come together for 1/3 of the equation the top 2 polls make up the rest...

if you did that here ASU would be number 2 well ahead of villanova!

phoenixphanatic21
November 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
See this is why we don't let computers decide who plays who. Thank god for playoff systems.

crunifan
November 25th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Gotta love a system that would leave out the #4 team in the nation.

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I guess this means GSU is playing in the Music City Bowl xcoolx

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
See this is why we don't let computers decide who plays who. Thank god for playoff systems.

Nah...instead we have a system where you reward the #1 team in the country with a first round game against a 9-2 team from a tough conference, while the #2 team is playing a team they are probably favored to beat by 100 points.

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Nah...instead we have a system where you reward the #1 team in the country with a first round game against a 9-2 team from a tough conference, while the #2 team is playing a team they are probably favored to beat by 100 points.

that said number 2 team is playing a team that isnt as bad as some might think...

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM
yes but they are all equal... in the bcs standings all the computers come together for 1/3 of the equation the top 2 polls make up the rest... if you did that here ASU would be number 2 well ahead of villanova!the committee uses the TSN and coaches poll the same way. The regular GPI uses 3 polls and 7 computers...

11/24/2008 GPI Top 25
1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Appalachian St (2.63)
3. Montana (4.50)
4. Villanova (4.63)
5. Richmond (4.75)
6. Cal Poly (5.25)
7. Wofford (7.75)
8. Northern Iowa (8.13)
9. New Hampshire (8.25)
10. Weber St (10.25)
11. S Illinois (12.25)
12. William & Mary (13.00)
13. Cent Arkansas (14.88)
14. Maine (15.00)
15. Harvard (15.50)
16. Elon (16.13)
17. Massachusetts (18.13)
18. Liberty (18.88)
19. S Carolina St (19.75)
20. E Washington (20.88)

nwFL Griz
November 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
the committee uses the TSN and coaches poll the same way. The regular GPI uses 3 polls and 7 computers...

11/24/2008 GPI Top 25
1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Appalachian St (2.63)
3. Montana (4.50)
4. Villanova (4.63)
5. Richmond (4.75)
6. Cal Poly (5.25)
7. Wofford (7.75)
8. Northern Iowa (8.13)
9. New Hampshire (8.25)
10. Weber St (10.25)
11. S Illinois (12.25)
12. William & Mary (13.00)
13. Cent Arkansas (14.88)
14. Maine (15.00)
15. Harvard (15.50)
16. Elon (16.13)
17. Massachusetts (18.13)
18. Liberty (18.88)
19. S Carolina St (19.75)
20. E Washington (20.88)

There you go. If you use this one it would work better. Then you would have:

National Champ
#1 JMU vs. #2 ASU

Rose Bowl
#10 Weber St vs. #4 Villanova

Sugar Bowl
#3 Montana vs. #7 Wofford

Fiesta Bowl
#11 SIU vs. #6 Cal Poly

Orange Bowl
#? Texas St vs. #8 UNI

That is following the selection rules put forth by the BCS, keeping the conference tie-ins mentioned in the first post.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
There you go. If you use this one it would work better. Then you would have:

National Champ
#1 JMU vs. #2 ASU

Rose Bowl
#10 Weber St vs. #4 Villanova

Sugar Bowl
#3 Montana vs. #7 Wofford

Fiesta Bowl
#14 SIU vs. #6 Cal Poly

Orange Bowl
#? Texas St vs. #8 UNI

That is following the selection rules put forth by the BCS, keeping the conference tie-ins mentioned in the first post.

That works, although I believe Wofford should be ranked No. @ and Texas State should be no higher than *

nwFL Griz
November 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
That works, although I believe Wofford should be ranked No. @ and Texas State should be no higher than *

My bad on the numbers. Fixed Wofford, but left Texas St because I have no clue what their GPI is, and frankly am too lazy to look it up.

Also, should be noted, I left out the FCS equivalent of the Big East, cause Travis didn't pick one, and we don't really have any conferences I felt like including.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
My bad on the numbers. Fixed Wofford, but left Texas St because I have no clue what their GPI is, and frankly am too lazy to look it up.

Also, should be noted, I left out the FCS equivalent of the Big East, cause Travis didn't pick one, and we don't really have any conferences I felt like including.

Just ribbin' ya a little.

I think you could make the Patriot or even the OVC the Big East. We ought to throw some other conference in there...

appstate38
November 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM
What if our teams played in the BCS. Heres how the games would look based on modified GPI as the BCS Standings. I tried to tie in conferences similarly to the the FBS for instance CAA and Big Sky tied into the Rose Bowl, SoCon with the Sugar, MVFC with Fiesta, Southland with Orange.

That leaves the other conferences looking for BCS atlarge bids.

National Championship
#1 James Madison vs #2 Villanova

Rose Bowl
#4 Richmond vs #9 Weber State

Sugar Bowl
#3 Appalachian State vs #6 New Hampshire

Fiesta Bowl
#14 Southern Illinois vs #5 Montana

Orange Bowl
#30 Texas State vs #8 California-Polytechnic

By mandating a non BCS conference team finishes above a certain point Cal-Poly gets the final at-large spot and.... Wofford get woofed.

I guess this proves that only on paper the CAA is the best all around. Still have to prove it on the field.

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Gotta love a system that would leave out the #4 team in the nation.

ya I missed the big east when doing it... but agree anyway that theres not really another conference that deserved it.

DC 'gater
November 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Put the 'gate in the Aloha Bowl and I'm there.

nwFL Griz
November 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
ya I missed the big east when doing it... but agree anyway that theres not really another conference that deserved it.

They are easy to miss because they don't have a tie-in to any one game. Personally, I'm not sure they continue to get an auto in the BCS when the next round is decided (2010, I think).

GATA
November 25th, 2008, 04:52 PM
that said number 2 team is playing a team that isnt as bad as some might think...

I completely disagree. I've seen App State and SC State play...the game is over by halftime easily. You guys can try to play up how good SC State is if you want...I'm not buying it. xcoffeex

Kabooom
November 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Let's spin this subject around as long as this is a far fetched subject.....

Let's see.....How about #1 seeded USC and the #2 seeded Florida Gators Playing at Chattanooga, Tenn. for the FBS Championship....It goes into overtime, and ESPN has to break to its regularly scheduled programming so the viewing world can watch the re-run of No. Colorado - MSU Game.

Boogs
January 8th, 2022, 10:59 PM
North Dakota State should have had the option to legally pull out of the FCS playoffs and be a substitute team for a FBS bowl game that required some other team to pull-out because of covid.

JacksFan40
January 9th, 2022, 01:40 PM
North Dakota State should have had the option to legally pull out of the FCS playoffs and be a substitute team for a FBS bowl game that required some other team to pull-out because of covid.
Yeah no, NDSU would never do that unless it’s the NY6 bowls.

JayJ79
January 9th, 2022, 05:41 PM

Teams can only count 1 win over an FCS team toward the requisite 6 wins needed for bowl eligibility, so NDSU would be 5 wins short of bowl eligibility.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 9th, 2022, 06:47 PM
Yeah no, NDSU would never do that unless it’s the NY6 bowls.

No kidding. WTF would a team want to go to any of those POS lower bowl games for? I have an App State friend that sent a text after the Montan/EWU game saying their team was in some bowl and that it was dreadful watching the difference of crowds at games in the better FCS stadiums and the bowl game they were in.

Nobody gives a flying **** about lower bowl games. At least in the playoffs a home team has a chance to fill up a stadium.

ElCid
January 9th, 2022, 07:09 PM
Yeah some people are enamored with bowl games. They think the perceived lime light is something great or they have "arrived" once they a bowl invite. The problem is they have become cheapened by the glut of them. I watched maybe 5 bowl games this year, or mostly just parts of them. The excitement and even occasional rivalries of the FCS playoffs easily beat the average toilet bowl games.

Libertine
January 9th, 2022, 08:31 PM
I'm done with this guy. Nothing says "I'm just trolling the rest of the board" like resurrecting a thread from 14 years ago with some outlandish demand.

ElCid
January 10th, 2022, 09:28 AM
I'm done with this guy. Nothing says "I'm just trolling the rest of the board" like resurrecting a thread from 14 years ago with some outlandish demand.

Hah. Yup. He has to get his 30 yearly post quota in every playoff time I guess. We won't see him until Nov or Dec again.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 10th, 2022, 10:19 AM

One thing about trolling my board though is that once I'm motivated to screw with the user they won't enjoy it around here too much. Starting to get a bit tired of the constant FBS injection on FCS threads too so let's see what they have to input now.

Milktruck74
January 12th, 2022, 06:59 AM
When bowl games are sponsored by feminine hygiene products and a 8-location all-you-can-eat buffet chain, they have lost a little luster. Kids know this, realistic fans know this, the general public knows this...Just morons trying to justify their school's move to obscurity and total irrelevance don't actually see this. Disagree? How many FCS playoff schools had players opt out of the playoff games?

Gil Dobie
January 12th, 2022, 08:42 AM
I assume playing in these bowls brings tons of money to a school, coaxing them to move up to FBS. I've totally lost interest in bowls outside the playoffs, and I even forgot to watch the Georgia/Alabama game this year. I did watch the semi-finals.

NY Crusader 2010
January 12th, 2022, 09:21 AM
No kidding. WTF would a team want to go to any of those POS lower bowl games for? I have an App State friend that sent a text after the Montan/EWU game saying their team was in some bowl and that it was dreadful watching the difference of crowds at games in the better FCS stadiums and the bowl game they were in.

Nobody gives a flying **** about lower bowl games. At least in the playoffs a home team has a chance to fill up a stadium.

Attendance for lower tier bowls and the early playoff games both suck. But once you get to the quarters and semis, the crowds start to become significant for us. What's interesting is that attendance figures at the low-end bowl games tend to be WAY overstated and attendance at the FCS playoffs consistently appear to be understated by about 30-40% based on the "eye test" relative to regular season announced figures.

FCS playoffs absolutely "more fun" for fans and supporters than going to one of the bowl games that nobody cares about. But for the most part, the schools that find an appropriate home in the FBS landscape, the move up is definitely a better financial move overall. Which is why it's extremely rare to see schools drop back down. I predict that JMU will wind up very happy with its decision in 5-10 years.

ElCid
January 12th, 2022, 09:55 AM
I assume playing in these bowls brings tons of money to a school, coaxing them to move up to FBS. I've totally lost interest in bowls outside the playoffs, and I even forgot to watch the Georgia/Alabama game this year. I did watch the semi-finals.

Bingo. Even my dad, a lifelong 92 years long fan, had zero interest in watching the toilet bowls. Said he just didn't care and he thought it is funny to have a 6-6 team playing a 6-6 team. But he did seriously want to watch the championship game. And I should add he watched the FCS game with me as well and was impressed with NDSU.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 12th, 2022, 03:27 PM

Playing in the lower bowls brings tons of money? I don't think it does Gil. I remember reading about how much it cost UConn a while back due to the school having to guarantee ticket purchases and that they lost money on their deal...which I think was one of the better bowls also.

I'm not solid on that but bowl games are not money makers for anything before New Year I would bet.

I didn't watch a single bowl game this year. Man, me and about 10 friends would treat NYD like it was a big event and get together with food, keg, etc. and now there is not one game, even on New year that I watched. I sort of wanted to tune in on Monday night and thought about it but figured hell I don't know a single name or person on either team so I just went with Street Outlaws. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
January 12th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Attendance for lower tier bowls and the early playoff games both suck. But once you get to the quarters and semis, the crowds start to become significant for us. What's interesting is that attendance figures at the low-end bowl games tend to be WAY overstated and attendance at the FCS playoffs consistently appear to be understated by about 30-40% based on the "eye test" relative to regular season announced figures.

FCS playoffs absolutely "more fun" for fans and supporters than going to one of the bowl games that nobody cares about. But for the most part, the schools that find an appropriate home in the FBS landscape, the move up is definitely a better financial move overall. Which is why it's extremely rare to see schools drop back down. I predict that JMU will wind up very happy with its decision in 5-10 years.

You are probably correct but I don't think it is good financially and that is supported by the students which at some point will probably become a problem. Schools make the move and they do it for a reason.

Bisonoline
January 12th, 2022, 11:07 PM

Ahhh Alot of schools used to lose money going to bowl games. The pay outs have changed and it all distributed to the conferences and split up AFTER all expenses have been paid. Think charter planes for a couple of hundred + people. Hotels and meals 5-6 days.

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-payouts/

ElCid
January 12th, 2022, 11:15 PM

Actually, there is a fairly good payout for most. The lowest I saw was 225k, but many, most?, were 1M or more. Not sure how much each team cleared though, when all is said and done. Here is a quick rundown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-payouts/amp/