PDA

View Full Version : IF Wofford were to get blown out at JSU...

woffordgrad94
November 25th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I know I'm really getting ahead of myself here, and most of you will see me as a pessimist, so let me start by saying that personally, I don't think Wofford will be blown out Saturday. I think we will be fired up, ready to play, and play a good game and have a chance to win it. But IF somehow the JMU game goes like the ASU game, is it time for Wofford to stop and take a look at themselves? Is it time to go back to the drawing board on defense and make some changes in plays, schemes, formations, maybe even personell? Is it time to recruit defense more strongly? Is it time for a defensive coach's job to be on the line? I say no one would or should get fired, but there would have to be SOMETHING done to change the defense's fortunes in games against top competition.

BeauFoster
November 25th, 2008, 10:01 AM
When is Wofford playing Jacksonville State?

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 10:02 AM
When is Wofford playing Jacksonville State?

I was about to ask the same question. News to me, but I would think that would be worse than losing to JMU.

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I was about to ask the same question. News to me, but I would think that would be worse than losing to JMU.

I would hope so. :D

I don't think it's going to be a blowout either, but I don't think you can take those two games and try to get any "big picture" meaning out of them even if it was a blowout.

WOCO
November 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I know I'm really getting ahead of myself here, and most of you will see me as a pessimist, so let me start by saying that personally, I don't think Wofford will be blown out Saturday. I think we will be fired up, ready to play, and play a good game and have a chance to win it. But IF somehow the JSU game goes like the ASU game, is it time for Wofford to stop and take a look at themselves? Is it time to go back to the drawing board on defense and make some changes in plays, schemes, formations, maybe even personell? Is it time to recruit defense more strongly? Is it time for a defensive coach's job to be on the line? I say no one would or should get fired, but there would have to be SOMETHING done to change the defense's fortunes in games against top competition.

That is crazy. The only thing wofford needs to do is keep recruiting more skill players. You ask anyone on this board that has played against wofford and im sure they will tell you that if their players run our system as well as we do, they would win the title every year. When we have more skill like in 2002 we are nasty. The system has evolved then but the talent has dropped of a little. When they come together wofford will be one of the scariest FCS teams in the nation.

All that being said. Wofford is damn good right now. I'm expecting a win saturday but it is going to be a fight for whoever the winner is.

RationalGriz
November 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I think that the first round performance of a team are more skewed towards a staff being able to gameplan well in less than a week, and then the team executing. In some matchups, the difference in athletic ability will be enough, but with the more evenly matched teams, turnovers and in-game adjustments will be the difference.

woffordgrad94
November 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I fixed it. I meant JMU of course.

woffordgrad94
November 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Again, don't get me wrong, I think we will play well at JMU, even if we do not win. But if we don't, then yes, an investigation for a solution needs to be attempted.

OL FU
November 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Again, don't get me wrong, I think we will play well at JMU, even if we do not win. But if we don't, then yes, an investigation for a solution needs to be attempted.

If it happens you need to fire your coachxmadx xnodx

So we can hire himxlolx xsmiley_wix

blitz4
November 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Woffords Defense is not Unathetic and SLOW. I am sick of that excuse. I think against appstate we tried to outdo ourselves to stop Armanti. The same mistake will not happen twice. Our defense has played pretty damn good all year minus the appstate game. Especially the last two weeks.

Here is a breakdown of our speed on defense.

Cornerbacks-all in the 4.5 range
Safties-One in the 4.4 range and one in the 4.65 range
Linebackers are in the-4.65 range, #44 is 250 lbs and is prob a 4.8
D-line is as athletic on the edge as anyone(we lead the socon in sacks)

The appstate game can be blamed on team speed all you want, but that was not the case. It was missed assignmentsand missed tackles on defense!!! Which is very much not a typical Wofford Defense. Coach Woody does a great job! We are not as fast as Appstate or JMU, but we are fast enough to play with ANYONE.

ASUMountaineer
November 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
If it happens you need to fire your coachxmadx xnodx

So we can hire himxlolx xsmiley_wix

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bobby Lamb is my second favorite coach in the SoCon, especially when he's coaching at Kidd Brewer. xsmiley_wix

JMU Newbill
November 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Despite what all you SoCon'ers think.... if JMU does blow out Wofford.... there will be no one more surprised than us JMU fans. I think the majority of us expect a great game.

Now if it does happen..... where do you start? I can tell you where I would start if JMU got blown out.... good old Mickey.

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I know I'm really getting ahead of myself here, and most of you will see me as a pessimist, so let me start by saying that personally, I don't think Wofford will be blown out Saturday. I think we will be fired up, ready to play, and play a good game and have a chance to win it. But IF somehow the JMU game goes like the ASU game, is it time for Wofford to stop and take a look at themselves? Is it time to go back to the drawing board on defense and make some changes in plays, schemes, formations, maybe even personell? Is it time to recruit defense more strongly? Is it time for a defensive coach's job to be on the line? I say no one would or should get fired, but there would have to be SOMETHING done to change the defense's fortunes in games against top competition.

NO... no changes need to be made... good God you guys are good... one game got away from you... so what!

appfan2008
November 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Despite what all you SoCon'ers think.... if JMU does blow out Wofford.... there will be no one more surprised than us JMU fans. I think the majority of us expect a great game.

Now if it does happen..... where do you start? I can tell you where I would start if JMU got blown out.... good old Mickey.

does anyone know what is wrong with that man???

there has got to seriously be some screws loose in there somewhere...

Rob Iola
November 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I fixed it. I meant JMU of course.
You didn't change the IF to WHEN...

mcveyrl
November 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
does anyone know what is wrong with that man???

there has got to seriously be some screws loose in there somewhere...

He's from Texas.

Seriously, he just speaks his mind. He's wrong sometimes, but he doesn't think he is and I'm okay with that. I disagree with some of what he says, but still think he's a good coach.

Most people don't notice a lot of the kind things he does, they just point out his quotes. Mickey is always approachable and gracious after a game on the field. He never turns down a request for a picture and will take time to talk when he can. If you look at the video of the Villanova win, Mickey wasn't jumping up and down like a maniac, he said he first felt sorry for the Villanova kids because he knew what it was like to lose that way and he was looking for Talley (who I think had fled the scene).

W&M's coach made an assinine comment about Maine getting picked and there's only one thread about it. If Mickey said it, it would be mentioned on EVERY JMU thread. I'm not complaining because I don't mind the attention, just pointing out that Mickey's not as different as everybody claims him to be, he just says what he thinks more often.

Rob Iola
November 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
MM's a top quality coach who wears his emotions on his sleeve. And boy, does he ever know how to blow a gasket when he's pi$$ed...

JMUSaxMRD
November 25th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I've run into Mickey on campus and I talked to him. I told him I'm in the band and all he could talk about is how disappointed he was in Richmond for not allowing us to perform and that he loves having us at games. Nice guy really.

jmufan999
November 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
it's very easy to criticize someone else's coach when all you read are quotes. people want every coach to say "oh well that team could beat us", blah blah blah. it's the same PC bs with lots of coaches. at least he's honest and says what's on his mind.

he's an excellent coach, brilliant playcaller, and the kids absolutely love him. if other school's fans don't like him, i'm sure he's not concerned. as long as we keep recruiting the kind of talent we've been getting the last few years, he's fine by me.

Rekdiver
November 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Wofford lives by the run and dies by the pass. The only thing Wofford needs to do is improve in the passing game. WC just caught us on a very very good night.

Wofford's playoff game at Montana last year was stellar.

JMU is vunerable right now beign the top seed and Wofford should stick tothe run and keep JMU off the field. Is ther another (scholarship) school the size of Wofford that has had the same level of success? I love what they've done and the athletes they are getting are an improvment every year.

soweagle
November 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Wofford played App State on the wrong night, just like TTU played OU on the wrong night this past weekend. App is better but Wofford would not take that type of beating again from App. In fact that game might be the momentum or kick in rear that Wofford needed for a serious run in the playoffs.