PDA

View Full Version : "Their League is Not That Good"

AlphaSigMD
November 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I wonder how fast Mickey Mathews is going to back pedal from this statement and the sentiments that it implies over the course of this week. He has already pretty much discounted Wofford entirely (and everyone else in the SoCon except ASU.)

Although ASU did go undefeated in the SoCon, we certainly didn't walk it the league. And anyone wanting to use the excuse "yeah Mickey was right...ASU went undefeated - thus the SoCon is soft" - keep in mind that JMU also went undefeated in the CAA (and I don't see anyone calling the CAA South soft).

I'd be surprised if that statement wasn't already up somewhere in the Wofford locker room.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2008, 08:05 PM
If JMU hammers Wofford, will you be ready to admit that Mickey was right?

StrikeJMU
November 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
nope, it'll be another fluke...

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I don't see them hammering us, beating us maybe but not hammering us.

You'll know if he meant it based on how well his team plays (if they play bad he probably meant it and didn't prepare as well)

1appfan
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
If not will you admit that he was wrong?

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
If not will you admit that he was wrong?

Sure! I don't like Mickey Matthews either! I hope he is wrong!

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 08:23 PM

well lets put that theory into practice in another situation......

Suppose I were to say something crazy like "James Madison went undefeated in their conference...The CAA really isn't that strong".....

If Wofford were to smash JMU, would that make my highly biased, uneducated opinion right? Is it right to sum up an entire league based on the outcome of one game?

Peems
November 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I understand why everyone is upset, but if you think about it, he's saying the SoCon wasn't that strong, not Wofford and we can admit that this wasn't one of the SoCon's strongest years

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I understand why everyone is upset, but if you think about it, he's saying the SoCon wasn't that strong, not Wofford and we can admit that this wasn't one of the SoCon's strongest years

Well it didn't help with Elon choking or the Citadel being a bust

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM

The top 6 were pretty solid teams. What classifies a conference as being strong? Parity? If thats the case, the ACC should be the best conference in the country, instead of the Big 12 or SEC..........

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
im not supporting the idea that we should have had more teams in the playoffs and CAA shouldnt have had as many as they did. I think those numbers were right, but there were some pretty good competetive teams this year in the conference, and it was by no means a cakewalk for ASU or Wofford.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Well it didn't help with Elon choking or the Citadel being a bust
Don't forget about Furman and Georgia State, er, Southern sucking too...

And yes, I'm a Hen fan, and actually drove a bunch of hours to watch them lose to a sucky Furman team. Nice campus though...