PDA

View Full Version : Bowl System vs. Playoff System

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Lets discuss what would be better after this years field was announced.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
neither it's all about money and that's it

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I would agree to extent.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
The only thing BCS has on FCS is setting up who plays who. They don't care where you are they just find the right match up.

jus10asu
November 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
The FCS is far better than the BCS....yeah I know some schools get left out of our playoff system and that sucks. But you cant have 64 teams like in bball. But at least you know at the first of the season that you've got 16 teams that can have a shot at winning it all even if they lose 2 or 3 games during the season. In the BCS that is nowhere near the case. If you lose twice you are all but screwed at getting a shot at the title game and kmart trophy. What kind of hope do these teams like Utah have that go undefeated all year and still dont get a shot at the title...thats a tragedy. Yeah so Utah might would get steam rolled by the likes of OU or Bama but nobody would know how they would play out in a title game. The sole fact that we crown our championship contenders on the field is what makes our division many times better than the BCS.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
The FCS is far better than the BCS....yeah I know some schools get left out of our playoff system and that sucks. But you cant have 64 teams like in bball. But at least you know at the first of the season that you've got 16 teams that can have a shot at winning it all even if they lose 2 or 3 games during the season. In the BCS that is nowhere near the case. If you lose twice you are all but screwed at getting a shot at the title game and kmart trophy. What kind of hope do these teams like Utah have that go undefeated all year and still dont get a shot at the title...thats a tragedy. Yeah so Utah might would get steam rolled by the likes of OU or Bama but nobody would know how they would play out in a title game. The sole fact that we crown our championship contenders on the field is what makes our division many times better than the BCS.

D2 or D3 has like 32 teams

Cobblestone
November 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Playoffs are the way to go! I have no use for Bowel games. Who wants a championship by committee? Not me.

Touchdown Yosef
November 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Playoffs are the way to go! I have no use for Bowel games. Who wants a championship by committee? Not me.

You are right on the committee can't get the field of 16 right no one should give them any more power. (not that this is actually going to be a heated debate on an FCS board)

jonmac
November 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM

So true. There are always going to be teams that are left out of the playoffs but at least they can all agree that the majority of the teams that make it in are better than they are. My biggest concern with our playoff is the NCAA's mindset about regionalization. I say pick 16 (or 20), seed them accordingly and have them go where they will. Might it be more expensive for some school? Yeah, but it's for a friggin' chance at a real national championship.

FCS Go!
November 24th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Lets discuss what would be better after this years field was announced.

You must be joking.

Maybe its time for Liberty to move up to FCS.

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
give me playoffs, with bowl game i get no closure, because there is always 3 or 4 teams you can make an arguement to play in the bcs at least here the argument is about teams who are a long shot to win out, not the champs

tingly
November 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
bcs is just a consortium championship, anyway, not a real championship.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
The "Committee" and "officials" and PREJUDICE "Athletic Directors" screw teams over, especially from the MEAC over & over & over & over & over & over & over...

So regardless of Whatever system we have, those at the top will continue to place rules and stipulations in place to skew things in favor of their institutions (CAA and SoCon)!

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
The "Committee" and "officials" and PREJUDICE "Athletic Directors" screw teams over, especially from the MEAC over & over & over & over & over & over & over...

So regardless of Whatever system we have, those at the top will continue to place rules and stipulations in place to skew things in favor of their institutions (CAA and SoCon)!

How does the MEAC get screwed?

I'm sorry, but you have a weak a$s conference and yet you still get an AQ. Tell NEC and PFL fans how "unfairly" the MEAC gets treated.xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlex

tingly
November 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM

The other conferences outnumber those 2. If that was an actual problem, it'd be getting fixed.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
D2 or D3 has like 32 teams

they also only play 10 game seasons in order to allow for the extra week of playoffs.

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
You are right on the committee can't get the field of 16 right no one should give them any more power. (not that this is actually going to be a heated debate on an FCS board)

I know what you are saying, however, the post you were replying to was talking about the FBS being championship by committee, not the FCS. Or, at least that's how I interpreted it.

It seems to me that everyone's gripe about the playoff committee's choices has to do with the emphasis being on the geographic concern being the decisive factor in setting the brackets. Or, put another way, the plane trip vs. the bus trip. It appears everyone is arguing for seeding everyone & giving the higher seed the home field. OK, that's fine with me, but who pays the bills?

The solution here is to provide funding for the NCAA and THEN they might consider seeding. The problem I foresee with that plan is what if, just for the sake of argument, Montana was #16 & UNH #1. Avg. attendance for UNH was @ 8,000 (I think) & about 24k for Montana. Now, which one do you suppose the NCAA wants to host the game?

As long as the team with higher avg. attendance is the higher ranked team, the bill-paying NCAA is happy. If you change that dynamic, where will the $$ come from?

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM

WCA:
If by "PREJUDICE", you actually meant "prejudiced" in reference to some racially motivated conspiracy theory that seems to affect MEAC teams, all I can say is "Whew". I find such a comment offensive.

Maybe the MEAC is not playing quite as good football as some other conferences. The last game I recall of a MEAC team in the playoffs, Delaware vs. Del. St., the MEAC team seemed overmatched. I do recall FAMU (I think they were in the MEAC in 1999) beating ASU in the playoffs that year. But, usually any such "Prejudice" by that BAD OLD committee you mention seems justified, given the records and stats.

The downtrodden are always getting the shaft. Yeah, right.

However, if by any chance, you care to discuss FCS football, then let's do it. I'm ready. Personally, I think SC State will acquit themselves well up in Boone. I'm looking for a pretty good game this weekend. And, further, I hope to meet numerous SC State fans, and I hope they all enjoy themselves in Boone.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
No matter what system is used, there will always be teams who feel like they are "screwed over" by the selection committee.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I understand that those other conferences have been getting screwed just like the MEAC has, how can you not know that these rating systems that are in place for the Committee are designed to benefit those who are in charge and those who have the most money.

NOW STOP, CALM DOWN AND THINK ABOUT IT. How come the SoCon and the CAA get 3-5 teams in a year, and don't just say because they have a "stronger conference record" or other bull crap like that. For instance, there is NO reason a team like Liberty is not in the playoffs this year. HECK, THEY WON THEIR CONFERENCE! But because of the perception of them playing in an "inferior" conference hurts a team with talent and the ability from showing it on the field. This can be applied to MEAC schools like FAMU this year or Norfolk St. last year.

Personally, I feel that there should be a cap on how many teams get in from each conference. This way, THE BEST from EVERY conference can prove who is the best in FCS. There is no feasible way that a 5th or 6th place team in the conference be considered for the post season.

Now I can go on and on how Teams from the MEAC have been screwed over and over again but doing that would be futile but that would take up more room than what is allowed on this board. xsmiley_wix

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
fBS - needs no explanation :D

apaladin
November 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I understand that those other conferences have been getting screwed just like the MEAC has, how can you not know that these rating systems that are in place for the Committee are designed to benefit those who are in charge and those who have the most money.

NOW STOP, CALM DOWN AND THINK ABOUT IT. How come the SoCon and the CAA get 3-5 teams in a year, and don't just say because they have a "stronger conference record" or other bull crap like that. For instance, there is NO reason a team like Liberty is not in the playoffs this year. HECK, THEY WON THEIR CONFERENCE! But because of the perception of them playing in an "inferior" conference hurts a team with talent and the ability from showing it on the field. This can be applied to MEAC schools like FAMU this year or Norfolk St. last year.

Personally, I feel that there should be a cap on how many teams get in from each conference. This way, THE BEST from EVERY conference can prove who is the best in FCS. There is no feasible way that a 5th or 6th place team in the conference be considered for the post season.

Now I can go on and on how Teams from the MEAC have been screwed over and over again but doing that would be futile but that would take up more room than what is allowed on this board. xsmiley_wix

The reason the MEAC didn't get 2 teams in is because it is a traditionally weak conference with no recent playoff success and besides ASU can only play one weak team in the first round. Now if there was a bye and ASU could play 2 MEAC teams then you would have a shot. No, wait a minute if there was a bye ASU would get it so nevermind.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM
WCA:
If by "PREJUDICE", you actually meant "prejudiced" in reference to some racially motivated conspiracy theory that seems to affect MEAC teams, all I can say is "Whew". I find such a comment offensive.

Maybe the MEAC is not playing quite as good football as some other conferences. The last game I recall of a MEAC team in the playoffs, Delaware vs. Del. St., the MEAC team seemed overmatched. I do recall FAMU (I think they were in the MEAC in 1999) beating ASU in the playoffs that year. But, usually any such "Prejudice" by that BAD OLD committee you mention seems justified, given the records and stats.

The downtrodden are always getting the shaft. Yeah, right.

However, if by any chance, you care to discuss FCS football, then let's do it. I'm ready. Personally, I think SC State will acquit themselves well up in Boone. I'm looking for a pretty good game this weekend. And, further, I hope to meet numerous SC State fans, and I hope they all enjoy themselves in Boone.

Now I will say that there are teams in the MEAC that need to check their priorities and either leave the conference or begin scheduling better OOC opponents. BUT with that said, why is the committee rewarding 4th or 5th place CAA team instead of giving due where just is due for a team like Liberty?

I can give the same argument with the BCS. For instance, why in the world Utah and Boise St. aren't given a shot at the National Champ.? It is because the 6 BCS conferences do not want to give the strangle hold on the money they receive from this Bowl Game and the other BCS bowl games. You can not tell me that the top team from the ACC or the Big East are better than those two teams let alone those from the Big 12, Pac 10, or even the SEC.

If there was a FAIR AND BALANCED PROCESS TO DETERMINE THIS, those schools might be surprised and shocked at the outcome.

Lets take it back to the FCS. Who's to say that SCSU will get whipped 60-0 or SCSU will blow out ASU 60-0? We will not know until Sat at noon on ESPNU.

My point is that if the selection process was really fair and Balanced, WE WOULDN'T BE TALKING ABOUT W&M GETTING SNUBBED OR LIBERTY, WHO WON THEIR FREAKIN CONFERENCE, GETTING DENIED TO GO AGAINST THE OTHER CONFERENCE CHAMPS. W&M would be figuring out how to improve to become one of the top 3 teams in the CAA to get considered and Liberty would be playing JMU.

Its time for us to open our eyes and see what is really going on.

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM
think about it guys.........if youre in the tournament, you have a chance to win the whole thing. theres 16 teams, if you cant beat any one of the other 15 teams, then you dont deserve to be national champions anyway.

whoever is the 66th team in NCAA D-1 Basketball is going to be pissed. Whoever is 3rd in the BCS standing, is going to be pissed. And whoever is 17th-18th in FCS......is going to be pissed.

FCS playoffs are MUCH better!

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM

you get an autobid......you get a chance to play 4 games, and if you win them all, you are national champions..........now how can you justify that the MEAC gets screwed if a weak conference as a whole gives there best team (who is usually much better than the rest) a chance to win the national championship? you also have to look at what the SoCon and CAA teams have done historically from a football standpoint. They have historically brought in money for the NCAA and many have long or recent term success and that weighs into it.

its not about PREJUDICE. its about money, size, and influence

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM

they are working on it.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4146516

but the truth is, you can only put so many teams in a tournament, IMO.

WestCoastAggie
November 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
you get an autobid......you get a chance to play 4 games, and if you win them all, you are national champions..........now how can you justify that the MEAC gets screwed if a weak conference as a whole gives there best team (who is usually much better than the rest) a chance to win the national championship? you also have to look at what the SoCon and CAA teams have done historically from a football standpoint. They have historically brought in money for the NCAA and many have long or recent term success and that weighs into it.

its not about PREJUDICE. its about money, size, and influence

You hit the nail on the head! However, Money & Influence are the reasons why they are prejudice, and that's simply not fair to the school's, coaches and players in the NCAA. So as long as Cash Rules Everything Around theM, nothing will change, no matter how many teams they allow to "play".

luflame15
November 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I am personally a fan of playoffs.Cause the best team actually wins. I hope Barrack Obama does do something that brings "CHANGE" and make the FBS a playoff system too.

RationalGriz
November 25th, 2008, 01:22 AM
The MEAC have every chance to win and be in the playoffs. The big problem for the MEAC is lack of aggressive scheduling against the CAA and SOCON level teams and wins in the playoffs. Until the MEAC wins some games versus the so-called power conferences, it is difficult to get more than the autobid in.

blur2005
November 25th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Now I will say that there are teams in the MEAC that need to check their priorities and either leave the conference or begin scheduling better OOC opponents. BUT with that said, why is the committee rewarding 4th or 5th place CAA team instead of giving due where just is due for a team like Liberty?

I can give the same argument with the BCS. For instance, why in the world Utah and Boise St. aren't given a shot at the National Champ.? It is because the 6 BCS conferences do not want to give the strangle hold on the money they receive from this Bowl Game and the other BCS bowl games. You can not tell me that the top team from the ACC or the Big East are better than those two teams let alone those from the Big 12, Pac 10, or even the SEC.

If there was a FAIR AND BALANCED PROCESS TO DETERMINE THIS, those schools might be surprised and shocked at the outcome.

Lets take it back to the FCS. Who's to say that SCSU will get whipped 60-0 or SCSU will blow out ASU 60-0? We will not know until Sat at noon on ESPNU.

My point is that if the selection process was really fair and Balanced, WE WOULDN'T BE TALKING ABOUT W&M GETTING SNUBBED OR LIBERTY, WHO WON THEIR FREAKIN CONFERENCE, GETTING DENIED TO GO AGAINST THE OTHER CONFERENCE CHAMPS. W&M would be figuring out how to improve to become one of the top 3 teams in the CAA to get considered and Liberty would be playing JMU.

Its time for us to open our eyes and see what is really going on.
Because W&M and Maine are better than Liberty. It's not difficult to see that. Who cares if Liberty won its conference? You don't see San Diego or Dayton in the playoffs, do you?

ToTheLeft
November 25th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Because W&M and Maine are better than Liberty. It's not difficult to see that. Who cares if Liberty won its conference? You don't see San Diego or Dayton in the playoffs, do you?

The PFL and Big South aren't even comparable at all. The Big South is on Par with the Patriot and OVC. The PFL is a non-scholly league that loses to Sub D-I's on a regular basis. No comparison at all.

luflame15
November 25th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I agree with ur statmenet here.

tingly
November 25th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Where you don't have much in the way of head-to-head games, to try to figure out who the best 8 teams are, all you can use is schedule strength, quality wins, and such which is bound to favor the "haves." Cash is what builds good teams who join forces in strong conferences and lock out the have-nots due to things like schedule strength needing to be in the criteria. The committee isn't influenced. Favoring tough conferences is taken care of by the nature of having no choice but to use subjective criteria plus how colleges have to react to that subjective criteria. (Ask up-and-coming basketball teams that can't get games with the top teams.)

Winning Big South only told the committee that Liberty was better than mediocre. Beating up on Elon was impressive. Maine played and swept every non-playoff team they played. Liberty had downright embarrassing games with the Presbyterian loss and Western Carolina near-loss, plus a Lafayette loss and a Coastal Carolina near-loss.

One reporter said it's believed that Liberty and Elon were removed from consideration before final votes between Maine, W&M and Jax St. If that's true, I bet Liberty was eliminated due to the losses at least and Elon was eliminated due to the head-to-head with Liberty.

luflame15
November 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I think Presby is the lost that killed us the most.

Syntax Error
November 25th, 2008, 01:55 AM
D2 or D3 has like 32 teamsBoth have more playoff eligible teams than the FCS.
Lets discuss what would be better after this years field was announced.Oh, that's right. I almost forgot that Liberty has FBS on the horizon. It was announced what, two years ago. Been kinda quiet since Jerry died. Is that still in the mix? Why else even mention bowels versus winning a championship on the field like every single other one does... except bc$$$$$$$$$$$?

ToTheLeft
November 25th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Yeah... I really hope that after seeing a drop in attendance this year, that we rethink our goals of going to FBS. We need to establish a winning program that people care about, and we need to establish a history of being at a high level. None of that has happened, and I don't want it to. FCS is clearly a better system, and I am excited about our chances in 2010 when the Big South gets an Autobid...

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
since no one is going to mention it. I thought I would state a few flaws in the playoff system compared to the bowls.

Playoffs de-emphasize the value of conference championships. The BCS does a good job of this too, but in the 80s winning the big ten or the SEC was a big deal now its going to a BCS bowl but even that is lackluster.

Playoffs devalue rivalries. Similarly to the devaluation of conference titles the rivalry games become less important because they are no longer the season cap.

Playoffs prohibit family and fans from participating in the post season. This is the biggest problem with the playoff system. A week to prepare for travel to a game is pretty short notice. In addition, many family members must work every other weekend and the playoff system means they cannot attend what may be their son's last football game. As a proud alum of both a top fBS team and a FCS teams I have friends already buying tickets for and making hotel reservations to spend new year's in a warm sunny location with their college buddies. We also had NC tickets lined up and would have had plenty of time to make plane reservations etc.... This does not happen with playoffs.

That being said I still prefer the playoffs if you are going to crown a "national champion". Then again I remind everybody the champion is the tournament champion cause on any given Saturday anything can happen.

bainsey
November 25th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Playoffs de-emphasize the value of conference championships.
OK, considering that a national championship is far more valuable than a conference championship, I can't say I have a problem with that.

Playoffs prohibit family and fans from participating in the post season. This is the biggest problem with the playoff system. A week to prepare for travel to a game is pretty short notice. And yet, those who follow college basketball, hockey, baseball, etc., teams through NCAA tournaments find a way to get there. A great majority follow them on TV, anyway, so no problem there, either.

Playoffs devalue rivalries.
No way. If anything, the rivalries take care of themselves.

Local example: Maine has had a long-standing rivalry with New Hampshire, especially in hockey. In 1999, UMaine and UNH were the last two teams remaining in the NCAA tournament. Maine won that game, 3-2 in overtime, and it has added to the rivalry all the more.

That being said I still prefer the playoffs if you are going to crown a "national champion".
As most of us are. The only problem is that the BCS won't change until people start turning off their TV sets. Personally, I won't watch any BCS contests, until a tournament is in place. If you really want change, you have to take the steps that will cause change, and in the case of the BCS, just don't watch.

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
OK, considering that a national championship is far more valuable than a conference championship, I can't say I have a problem with that.

And yet, those who follow college basketball, hockey, baseball, etc., teams through NCAA tournaments find a way to get there. A great majority follow them on TV, anyway, so no problem there, either.

No way. If anything, the rivalries take care of themselves.

Local example: Maine has had a long-standing rivalry with New Hampshire, especially in hockey. In 1999, UMaine and UNH were the last two teams remaining in the NCAA tournament. Maine won that game, 3-2 in overtime, and it has added to the rivalry all the more.

As most of us are. The only problem is that the BCS won't change until people start turning off their TV sets. Personally, I won't watch any BCS contests, until a tournament is in place. If you really want change, you have to take the steps that will cause change, and in the case of the BCS, just don't watch.

That is exactly my point. There was a time when conference championships were more important than winning a "tournament" at the end of the season. There is something romantic about that. Conference teams share revenues, have similar academic standards and fan bases. It creates a level playing field and conference championships used to be more valuable. In the east, teams valued the NC more because they had a shot at it (back when the NY times chose it). In the west and south most teams cared more about the conference.

As to the other sports finding a way to get there I respond, no they do not. Have you ever seen the amount of fans in the first round games for basketball tournament? The ticket allotment for the final four (basketball) games for each team is miniscule in number compared to the amount they sell for bowl games. Many parents and loved ones do not get to see the final swan song of their kids due to the playoff systems in all of those sports. fBS is the exception to that and that is a good thing.

MacThor
November 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I don't think conference championships are devalued by playoffs. In all of the NCAA sports that have national playoffs, they still sell conf champ merchandise. The teams take great pride in their title, even if they get bounced from the playoffs early.

Besides, only in the BCS system can a team lose it's conference championship and get invited to the national championship game.

appmaj
November 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think it really comes down to the idea that anyone one can win the naional title in FCS; Go out win your games and you've got a shot.

Lets Just ask Utah, Boise State, & Ball State how that is working for them.

That aspect of it seems to make the season all the more important.

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I don't think conference championships are devalued by playoffs. In all of the NCAA sports that have national playoffs, they still sell conf champ merchandise. The teams take great pride in their title, even if they get bounced from the playoffs early.

Besides, only in the BCS system can a team lose it's conference championship and get invited to the national championship game.

This is exactly my point. it is a problem with the BCS but it is also a problem with the playoffs. You still get invited to the playoffs without being a conference champion. You can still win a higher championship without winning your conference therefore the importance of the conference championship is devalued because you do not need it to get from here to there. Eliminate the "higher" level of championship and the conference championship means more.

Think the old bowl system without the BcS. The BcS also devalues conference championships

appmaj
November 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM
The ticket allotment for the final four (basketball) games for each team is miniscule in number compared to the amount they sell for bowl games. Many parents and loved ones do not get to see the final swan song of their kids due to the playoff systems in all of those sports. fBS is the exception to that and that is a good thing.

Basketball rosters and the ticket allotment are proportional to the roster size and ticket alotment for football.

I disagree here...How is going to a NCAA tourney game any different than say ECU last year in the Hawaii Bowl or Oregon in the Sun Bowl. Just as far (if not further) to travel.

89Hen
November 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM

xlolx xnonono2x xnutsx

FAMU 17 - Troy State 10

Can you tell me the significance of this game WCA?

UNH Fanboi
November 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM
This is exactly my point. it is a problem with the BCS but it is also a problem with the playoffs. You still get invited to the playoffs without being a conference champion. You can still win a higher championship without winning your conference therefore the importance of the conference championship is devalued because you do not need it to get from here to there. Eliminate the "higher" level of championship and the conference championship means more.

Think the old bowl system without the BcS. The BcS also devalues conference championships

So what? I'd take a national champion decided in a real playoff system at the expense of devaluing conference championships any day.

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 10:28 AM
So what? I'd take a national champion decided in a real playoff system at the expense of devaluing conference championships any day.

Me too, just stating one of the downsides of playoffs

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Basketball rosters and the ticket allotment are proportional to the roster size and ticket alotment for football.

I disagree here...How is going to a NCAA tourney game any different than say ECU last year in the Hawaii Bowl or Oregon in the Sun Bowl. Just as far (if not further) to travel.

people going to hawaii had 3weeks/4 weeks to make arrangements.

RationalGriz
November 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I disagree with the thought that the Conference Championship means nothing to a team.

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I disagree with the thought that the Conference Championship means nothing to a team.

Who said that? I said it becomes devalued therefore it means less (not nothing). Teams probably care more about getting to the playoffs and advancing to the championship game then winning their conference.

RationalGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
turf, they pretty much go hand-in-hand. It all comes down to winning games. Of course the ultimate goal is to win a Nat'l Championship, but a Conf. Champ is important. I do not see it as devalued at all.

turfdoc
November 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
turf, they pretty much go hand-in-hand. It all comes down to winning games. Of course the ultimate goal is to win a Nat'l Championship, but a Conf. Champ is important. I do not see it as devalued at all.

Posing a question, would you rather lose in the national championship game OR win your conference.

The point is there was a time when playing in the rose bowl (winning the big ten or Pac Ten) was the pinnacle for teams in those conferences. Now it really isn't. That is a shift that has occurred. The conference championship means less than it used to.

UNH Fanboi
November 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Posing a question, would you rather lose in the national championship game OR win your conference.

The point is there was a time when playing in the rose bowl (winning the big ten or Pac Ten) was the pinnacle for teams in those conferences. Now it really isn't. That is a shift that has occurred. The conference championship means less than it used to.

The diminishing importance of bowls and conference championships is a good thing in my opinion. The only reason that bowls are still in existence is because of corporate squabbling and people who are irrationally resistant to change. Hopefully these idiots keep cheapening the bowls by adding more abd more xyz.com bowls until everyone realizes how ridiculous it is and there is finally a real playoff system in college football like every other major sport.

MacThor
November 25th, 2008, 01:29 PM

My point was that at least with playoffs, you don't get invited to the championship game, you at least have to win your way there.

Every other NCAA sport has a playoff for the national champion, and in most cases teams that didn't win their conference are eligible to be national champions. I don't think if Duke wins the ACC basketball championship, it is diminished if UNC goes on to be National Champs. Would they rather be National Champs? Sure. But they're still ACC Champs.

The only advantage I see to bowls over playoffs is that with playoffs, all the post-season teams except one go home disappointed. With bowls, 50% of post-season teams get to end their seasons (and in some cases careers) with a W.