PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: William & Mary was WOOFED!

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Ranked higher than Maine in every poll and in the GPI (both of them), William & Mary was WOOFED. xnodx

Welcome Tribe to the land overlookdom, no respect, and selection committee ignore.

On the bright side, you can book your playoff entry for next year! xnodx

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Does it count if your own conference Woof's you?

nwFL Griz
November 24th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I agree, though I wanted Liberty to get in....W&M was woofed. I still can't find any reason why Maine gets in over W&M....other than W&M would have gone in on a 2 game losing streak.

th0m
November 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Does it count if your own conference Woof's you?

In the CAA, it does xsmiley_wix

redspider
November 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I thought Liberty should get in at first over Maine but then I looked at there loses and they were bad. In the end I totally agree that W&M got woofed they had a much tougher schedule than Main playing in the South and beat the best team in the north New Hampshire. Not to mention why did Villanova not get a seed that is ridiculous.

GrizFamily
November 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Sorry, guys it's not a woofed, it's a wiffed. They wiffed by losing the last two games.

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I agree, though I wanted Liberty to get in....W&M was woofed. I still can't find any reason why Maine gets in over W&M....other than W&M would have gone in on a 2 game losing streak.

That really hurts. That and W&M only winning 7 vs. Maine's 8. Yeah, Maine played another game, but they also won it

Comments I've heard from the committee in the past suggest that they really dislike taking teams that come into the playoffs sliding rather than coming on strong. Maine losing their last game doesn't help that, but the fact is W&M at best was the 4th best team in their division. How impressed am I really supposed to be by that? If they couldn't beat any of those 3 teams in the regular season, why would the playoffs be different?

Is that totally fair? No, but neither is life xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 05:36 PM
... W&M at best was the 4th best team in their division. How impressed am I really supposed to be by that?Wow, tough crowd!

W&M Schedule:
09/06/08 @North Carolina State L, 34-24
09/13/08 VMI W, 52-17
09/20/08 NORFOLK STATE W, 42-12
10/04/08 No. 6 VILLANOVA L, 38-28
10/11/08 @No. 4 New Hampshire W, 38-34
10/18/08 @Delaware W, 27-3
10/25/08 RHODE ISLAND W, 34-24
11/01/08 @Towson W, 34-14
11/08/08 NORTHEASTERN W, 38-17
11/15/08 @No. 1 James Madison L, 48-24
11/22/08 No. 7 RICHMOND L, 23-20 (OT)

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Wow, tough crowd!

W&M Schedule:
09/13/08 VMI W, 52-17

That doesn't negate 4th place in a 6-team division.

aust42
November 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I don't understand all the hubbub about W&M not making the playoffs. W&M did not deserve to make the playoffs with a 7-4 record especially after losing their last two games. W&M's schedule was not any harder than Maines. W&M lost to CAA foes Nova, Richmond and JMU. Maine lost to CAA foes JMU, Richmond and NH. With 8 wins, Maine got the nod over W&M. W&M should have played 12 games like everyone else did this year.

Liberty did not help themselves playing two Div II games. Plus the only "quality" win Liberty had all year was over Elon and Elon was no powerhouse by any means. Liberty's schedule was very weak. Of the 10 1AA teams they played only two ended the season with a winning record.

DTSpider
November 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM
having seen both teams live, w&m is a much better team than maine. at the end of the day though, i don't think either are nc contenders. there were 15 solid playoff teams and 3 or 4 just barely out teams imo...they had to take one.

aust42
November 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Ranked higher than Maine in every poll and in the GPI (both of them), William & Mary was WOOFED. xnodx

Welcome Tribe to the land overlookdom, no respect, and selection committee ignore.

On the bright side, you can book your playoff entry for next year! xnodx

Is "Woofed" a term your using in reference to Wofford getting SCREWED by the selection committee in 2002? For those that don't remember Wofford finished 8-3 and was not selected as an at-large in the playoffs even though they beat 8-3 Ap State and 9-2 Georgia Southern which both made the playoffs from the Southern Conference. That was the 1AA crime of the century.

GATA
November 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Is "Woofed" a term your using in reference to Wofford getting SCREWED by the selection committee in 2002? For those that don't remember Wofford finished 8-3 and was not selected as an at-large in the playoffs even though they beat 8-3 Ap State and 9-2 Georgia Southern which both made the playoffs from the Southern Conference. That was the 1AA crime of the century.

That's pretty rough...I had actually forgotten about that.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry, guys it's not a woofed, it's a wiffed. They wiffed by losing the last two games.

'Zactly. And it hurts me to say that because my 80-year-old uncle and aunt are longtime season ticket holders.

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM

They lost to JMU and Richmond... I bet several at-larges would have lost to those two. Maine also whiffed against New Hampshire.

But, honestly, I'm not sure any of the "bubble" teams really had that great of a resume. I don't feel to bad for any team that got left out.

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Liberty was woofed if anybody was. So stop complaining.

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Is "Woofed" a term your using in reference to Wofford getting SCREWED by the selection committee in 2002? For those that don't remember Wofford finished 8-3 and was not selected as an at-large in the playoffs even though they beat 8-3 Ap State and 9-2 Georgia Southern which both made the playoffs from the Southern Conference. That was the 1AA crime of the century.http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-woof-woof-woof&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
The term came from the great national FCS columnist David Coulson in 2002, who coined the term (a more generic form of Ralph Wallace’s “Wofforded") in this very column before moving to the Sports Network, home of the Walter Payton award and the FCS Top 25 poll. It was named after the aforementioned Wofford Terriers, who in 2002 were skunked from a postseason bid after posting a resume that many thought was worthy of an at-large selection.Basically a team that did not get selected when they had valid reasons to get selected over a team that was selected. W&M's? Ranked higher in the AGS Poll. Ranked higher in the Sports Network Poll. Ranked higher in the Coaches Poll. Ranked higher in the GPI. Ranked higher in the modified GPI. Beat a team that Maine lost to. Played in perhaps the toughest division in the country losing to the #1, #6, and in OT to the #7 teams in the country in that division. Played an FBS very close. etc. etc. etc. All which fits into the "woofed" definition. No pity for them is required, just facts are facts. They were a playoff fringe team, but the best fringe team for those reasons. xtwocentsx

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Liberty was woofed if anybody was. So stop complaining.Please, who is complaining but you? Facts are facts. Liberty was a longer shot.

JaxSinfonian
November 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Liberty & Jax State were both in better shape for a bid than W&M. (And Maine for that matter.)

Everybody else in the tournament had at least eight wins. If the Tribe wanted in, they should have won just one more game.

If you HAVE to take a fifth CAA team, I guess it's Maine. Not sure why the committee felt they had to do it, though, when there were other teams available with comparable resumes.

UNH Fanboi
November 24th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Why isn't it "woffed"?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Because Woofed sounds cooler and is easier to say/pronounce when reading

dwtime
November 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I don't understand all the hubbub about W&M not making the playoffs. W&M did not deserve to make the playoffs with a 7-4 record especially after losing their last two games. W&M's schedule was not any harder than Maines. W&M lost to CAA foes Nova, Richmond and JMU. Maine lost to CAA foes JMU, Richmond and NH. With 8 wins, Maine got the nod over W&M. W&M should have played 12 games like everyone else did this year.

Liberty did not help themselves playing two Div II games. Plus the only "quality" win Liberty had all year was over Elon and Elon was no powerhouse by any means. Liberty's schedule was very weak. Of the 10 1AA teams they played only two ended the season with a winning record.

Ah about half the FCS teams play an 11 game schedule but don't let me stop you Blutarsky, you're on a roll!
http://lancemannion.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bluto.jpg

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I don't understand all the hubbub about W&M not making the playoffs. W&M did not deserve to make the playoffs with a 7-4 record especially after losing their last two games. W&M's schedule was not any harder than Maines. W&M lost to CAA foes Nova, Richmond and JMU. Maine lost to CAA foes JMU, Richmond and NH. With 8 wins, Maine got the nod over W&M. W&M should have played 12 games like everyone else did this year. .

Umm....About half the field only played 11 games. Cal Poly only 10xcoffeex

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM

There's 1 reason......xrolleyesx I can throw you a couple of others.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Wow, tough crowd!

W&M Schedule:
09/13/08 VMI W, 52-17

You're being tough on Maine......who were their losses to?

xcoffeex

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Stop making sense! Start drinking the W&M kool-aid! xrolleyesx

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:27 PM
having seen both teams live, w&m is a much better team than maine. at the end of the day though, i don't think either are nc contenders. there were 15 solid playoff teams and 3 or 4 just barely out teams imo...they had to take one.

I wonder if JMU fans feel the same way?

xcoffeex

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-woof-woof-woof&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1Basically a team that did not get selected when they had valid reasons to get selected over a team that was selected. W&M's? Ranked higher in the AGS Poll. Ranked higher in the Sports Network Poll. Ranked higher in the Coaches Poll. Ranked higher in the GPI. Ranked higher in the modified GPI. Beat a team that Maine lost to. Played in perhaps the toughest division in the country losing to the #1, #6, and in OT to the #7 teams in the country in that division. Played an FBS very close. etc. etc. etc. All which fits into the "woofed" definition. No pity for them is required, just facts are facts. They were a playoff fringe team, but the best fringe team for those reasons. xtwocentsx

Maine and W&M did not play each other. No one got woofed, wiffed or otherwise. xpeacex

Sly Fox
November 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Uh, MaineJeff. Remind us all who the Bears beat. Oh, that is right. Two teams with winning records. But they lose well.

xlolx

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Uh, MaineJeff. Remind us all who the Bears beat. Oh, that is right. Two teams with winning records. But they lose well.

xlolx

Remind me who Liberty lost to and who W&M beat? How did W&M end the season......did they win more games than Maine? Bye.

Sly Fox
November 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
You Maine guys and selection committees are infatuated with losses. Victories, not so much. Still waiting to hear who the Bears beat of ANY significance.

xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
You're being tough on Maine......who were their losses to?Who were their wins to?

#14 Maine's wins:
#64 Monmouth West W, 21-17
#53 Stony Brook W, 28-13
#28 Delaware W, 27-10
#38 Hofstra W, 41-40 (2 OT)
#55 Northeastern W, 20-0
#121 Iona W, 55-7
#17 Massachusetts W, 21-20
#58 Rhode Island W, 37-7
Average Rank: 54.25

#12 William & Mary's wins
#78 VMI W, 52-17
#89 Norfolk State W, 42-12
#9 New Hampshire W, 38-34
#28 Delaware W, 27-3
#58 Rhode Island W, 34-24
#63 Towson W, 34-14
#55 Northeastern W, 38-17
Average Rank: 54.28

A wash.

See, Jeff, this isn't a HUGE WOOF but it is still a woof. The only woof.

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Remind me ... who W&M beat? How did W&M end the season.......
W&M? Ranked higher in the AGS Poll. Ranked higher in the Sports Network Poll. Ranked higher in the Coaches Poll. Ranked higher in the GPI. Ranked higher in the modified GPI. Beat a team that Maine lost to. Played in perhaps the toughest division in the country losing to the #1, #6, and in OT to the #7 teams in the country in that division. Played an FBS very close. etc. etc. etc. All which fits into the "woofed" definition. No pity for them is required, just facts are facts. They were a playoff fringe team, but the best fringe team for those reasons.
No one got woofedhttp://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/483232/2/istockphoto_483232_i_can_t_hear_you.jpg
"La La La La La La, I can't Hear You"

I understand Jeff, Maine is in the playoffs and that is your basis.

xlolx

bainsey
November 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Woof, screwjob, whatever you want to call it, it's all about sour grapes.

The quality of the teams Maine and W&M beat were similar. S.E.'s listing bears that out.

The quality of the teams Maine and W&M lost to were similar. Both teams had four "quality losses," as the NCAA calls them. Both lost to JMU & Richmond. Maine and W&M lost to similarly-ranked teams UNH and Villanova, respectively. You can make a case that Iowa (Maine's loss) is stronger than NC State (W&M's loss).

S.E.'s listing of each team's defeated opponents and their rankings is interesting. What's more interesting, I count eight wins for Maine, seven for W&M. Maine still showed up on the field and got the job done one more time than did W&M.

W&M wasn't screwed. It was edged.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
None of the bubble teams made a strong case for the last slot with the exception of Liberty. And Liberty's weak schedule and bad losses killed any chance they had. Actually the team that got shafted was 8-3 Jacksonville State, with 2 OVC losses and a loss to Ga. Tech. If EKU upsets Richmond this weekend then the door will be opened in the future to OVC at-larges, but for now they get the MEAC treatment (see A&M, Florida, who also finished strong at 8-3).

7-4 is a mighty pedestrian record even in the CAA - good enough only for 4th place in a 6 team division. W&M couldn't win when it counted and will stay home as a result - it doesn't matter who got in over them.

eaglesrthe1
November 25th, 2008, 06:55 AM
xcoffeex Woofed is a term that should only be used for particular, extreme circumstances. It doesn't happen every year, and didn't this year. xrulesx

OhioHen
November 25th, 2008, 07:04 AM
but the fact is W&M at best was the 4th best team in their division.

Similar to Oklahoma State being the 4th best team in their division in that other non-playoff division but being considered one of the top 16 in the country.

PurpleandGold
November 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Maine has no significant wins this season, at least WM had the UNH win.

Saying that Maine has one extra win is completely silly when you consider that it was Iona.

There is an argument that if you can't beat the top three in your division then you don't belong in the playoffs. I accept that fully. But Maine lost to two of those three and the best team in their division, how is that any better?

Records are similar, for me, the difference is the number of significant wins. For the committee, the difference is the division affiliation.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
7-4 is a mighty pedestrian record even in the CAA - good enough only for 4th place in a 6 team division.

Yeah, and those four teams went 12-0 against the other division.xrolleyesx

PurpleandGold
November 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I would like to add that while I think WM had a better case for a playoff spot than Maine, I'm happy to see Maine return to the playoffs, and I'm happy to see the CAA get five again.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Saying that Maine has one extra win is completely silly when you consider that it was Iona.

McCutcheon is now saying that was part of the reasoning. Interesting that the W&M AD was assured by a committee member that teams would not be penalized for choosing to play 11 games this year. McCutcheon is scrambling to justify the choice, and denying any advocacy for Maine, but Jack Cosgrove's comments told a different story.

Rob Iola
November 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Yeah, and those four teams went 12-0 against the other division.xrolleyesx
No argument there - CAA South is far stronger than the CAA North, almost separate conferences. UD finished 3rd in the division last year and almost won the whole thing. The problem is that W&M had their destiny in their hands and couldn't seal the deal - when you leave it up to the committee you have nothing to complain about regardless of who they pick...

Black and Gold Express
November 25th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Wow, tough crowd!

W&M Schedule:
09/13/08 VMI W, 52-17

They played four I-AA teams worth a damn and went 1-3. One quality win on that schedule and we're supposed to think they got hosed? Or are you playing that weak "good loss" card that never holds water?

W&M did not get woofed. They killed themselves by blowing it on the field. Truth be told, looking at Maine's resume, neither probably should have been in.

UNHFan
November 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I think all the posts above are right on! No team should ever get in losing 2 in a row. And I pray no team ever gets in with 2 D2 Wins either! Wait I take that back. If a team is 11-0 with 2 D2 Wins and 9 D1 wins they should get in.

Cap'n Cat
November 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM

Exactly.

xnonox

Same reason SIU doesn't have a seed over UNI - rumbled, fumbled, stumbled to win many of their games going in.

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
They played four I-AA teams worth a damn and went 1-3. One quality win on that schedule and we're supposed to think they got hosed? Or are you playing that weak "good loss" card that never holds water?

And Maine played three of those teams and went 0-3. Tribe was 1-2 against the same teams. One quality win is better than none.

Cocky
November 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM
None of the bubble teams made a strong case for the last slot with the exception of Liberty. And Liberty's weak schedule and bad losses killed any chance they had. Actually the team that got shafted was 8-3 Jacksonville State, with 2 OVC losses and a loss to Ga. Tech. If EKU upsets Richmond this weekend then the door will be opened in the future to OVC at-larges, but for now they get the MEAC treatment (see A&M, Florida, who also finished strong at 8-3).

7-4 is a mighty pedestrian record even in the CAA - good enough only for 4th place in a 6 team division. W&M couldn't win when it counted and will stay home as a result - it doesn't matter who got in over them.

Playing in a good conference shouldn't get you in. Winning in a good conference should get you in. All of the teams considered would beat Towson, Hofsta, and Northeastern this year.

UNHFan
November 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM
And Maine played three of those teams and went 0-3. Tribe was 1-2 against the same teams. One quality win is better than none.

I agree its the losing 2 in a row that killed ya.

SideLine Shooter
November 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Liberty was woofed if anybody was. So stop complaining.

Read Post #10. Face the facts.

MacThor
November 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
You Maine guys and selection committees are infatuated with losses. Victories, not so much.

Eight wins are more than seven.

Rob Iola
November 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Exactly.

xnonox

Same reason SIU doesn't have a seed over UNI - rumbled, fumbled, stumbled to win many of their games going in.
Wait - what? Now we're talking about how good teams looked winning? SIU beat UNI heads up, so by definition they are the better team.

Tribe Head
November 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I attended the W&M/UR game. I bleed green and gold. I don't feel W&M or Maine deserved an at large bid. For now, V for Villanova. GO CATS