#11 UNH @ #6 Cal Poly
#13 Maine @ #4 Montana

#15 Colgate @ #2 ASU
#9 Weber St @ #8 Wofford

#12 EKU @ #5 Villanova
#14 Texas St @ #3 UNI

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
let the arguments begin on who is seeded to high... so on and so on...

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2008, 02:00 PM
let the arguments begin on who is seeded to high... so on and so on...

Exactly. There are as many arguments there as there are with regionalization. I would like to see the #1 seed get matched up with the worst regional opponent in terms of the four seeded teams, however. If SC St. is within driving distance to JMU, that should happen. Same with EKU. I believe JMU/EKU, APP/SC ST and Richmond/Wofford would be a workable agreement for all. But I know, I know, saving money.

GannonFan
November 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM
without regionalization:

#16 SC St @ #1 JMU
#10 SIU @ #7 Richmond

#11 UNH @ #6 Cal Poly
#13 Maine @ #4 Montana

#15 Colgate @ #2 ASU
#9 Weber St @ #8 Wofford

#12 EKU @ #5 Villanova
#14 Texas St @ #3 UNI

SIU beats UNI head to head, wins the conference that both SIU and UNI are in, and yet UNI is a #3 seed and SIU is a #10 seed.

UNH has a better record than Richmond, beat an FBS team, and is seeded 4 spots below Richmond.

nova plays JMU better than anyone in the country, losing to them on a Hail Mary pass at the end of the game, and their only other loss is to a decent West Virginia team. Plus they beat Richmond and UNH - why not a higher seed over say #3 UNI who lost to a two teams (SIU and N'western) who were inferior to nova's losses?

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
SIU beats UNI head to head, wins the conference that both SIU and UNI are in, and yet UNI is a #3 seed and SIU is a #10 seed.

UNH has a better record than Richmond, beat an FBS team, and is seeded 4 spots below Richmond.

nova plays JMU better than anyone in the country, losing to them on a Hail Mary pass at the end of the game, and their only other loss is to a decent West Virginia team. Plus they beat Richmond and UNH - why not a higher seed over say #3 UNI who lost to a two teams (SIU and N'western) who were inferior to nova's losses?

The point was that it should be #1 vs #16 and #2 vs #15 and so on.. the Top 4 were ALREADY seeded by the Committee.. so I attemped to fill in the remaining 12 to demonstrate how it might look without travel concerns.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I was going to post a similar thread based on the committee's choices, just arranged by ranking based on the latest TSN poll, which it seems they followed pretty closely. So much for the polls not having much of an impact on the committee. Here it is, and I have to say I like the potential second round match-ups much better. These would have been very interesting cross-country match-ups that I know many on here would have loved to have seen:

1-JMU
8-Wofford--------
9-SIU
10-UNH----------

5-Montana
23-Tx. St.-------
4-UNI
20-Main---------

-------------------------------------------

2-App. St.
13-SC St.-------
7-Richmond
21-EKU----------

6-Nova
16-Colgate------
3-Cal Poly
12-Weber St.----

GannonFan
November 24th, 2008, 02:12 PM
The point was that it should be #1 vs #16 and #2 vs #15 and so on.. the Top 4 were ALREADY seeded by the Committee.. so I attemped to fill in the remaining 12 to demonstrate how it might look without travel concerns.

My point was just being that when seeding was done before, there were many, many instances of teams mysteriously moving up or down several seeds from where they could've/should've been that seemed to fit some other intention. Seeds don't solve anything.

Pantherpower
November 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Our other loss was to BYU and no, they're NOT inferior to WVU. Give me a break! We are where I thought we should be after being ranked in the top 4 most of the year.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Our other loss was to BYU and no, they're NOT inferior to WVU. Give me a break! We are where I thought we should be after being ranked in the top 4 most of the year.
Why should UNI be seeded/ranked higher than SIU?

GannonFan
November 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM

My mistake, must have been SIU that lost to N'western. Mea culpa. (although I would still have SIU ahead of you guys, based on winning your conference and beating you head to head).

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Why should UNI be seeded/ranked higher than SIU?

I have asked this in at least three different threads, to no avail.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I get where you're going, but shouldn't QF's be 1-8, 4-5, 3-6, 2-7?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
My point was just being that when seeding was done before, there were many, many instances of teams mysteriously moving up or down several seeds from where they could've/should've been that seemed to fit some other intention. Seeds don't solve anything.

That's exactly what I saw and made a point of last year in a similar thread to this. Even when things were seeded the committee somehow got the match ups that were similar to rationalization. The arguments would not change that much without rationalization as the committee seems to get the match ups that they want since they are able to seed and rank due to their own interests.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I get where you're going, but shouldn't QF's be 1-8, 4-5, 3-6, 2-7?

I thought the same thing...

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Of course there would always be a debate over who is seeded where.. but the point is that you would probably avoid the obvious unfair early round match ups.. like #1 JMU getting Wofford or back in '03 when #2 UD got a 10-1 SIU team.

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Villanova beat two playoff teams.. UNH and Richmond.. who did UNI beat to deserve a seed over them???

RationalGriz
November 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM
When all 16 teams were seeded, the main reason that teams were moved is to avoid matching up with a team from its conference. Depending on how many teams were from a single conference, a team could be moved up or down a couple.

skinny_uncle
November 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM

These are the sort of arguments that would be going on around here if they seeded the whole field. There are enough with them just seeding four.

skinny_uncle
November 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Villanova beat two playoff teams.. UNH and Richmond.. who did UNI beat to deserve a seed over them???

Bogus argument. The CAA just gets more teams into the playoffs than anybody else. You can't beat 'em if you don't get to play them. That could just as well mean the CAA gets too many bids.

UNH Fanboi
November 24th, 2008, 03:05 PM

UNI having a nice stadium is the reason they got a seed over Villanova. They have no big wins and won a couple of squeakers vs. mediocre teams. I hope Maine exposes them.

UNH Fanboi
November 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
You can't beat 'em if you don't get to play them.

So then schedule harder OOC games. The committee definitely should reward teams that have beaten higher caliber competition. Maybe UNI could have beaten Richmond, UNH and W&M, but they haven't proved. Seeding should be about accomplishments, not potential.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I don't care what the committee says, but dollars figure into the mix more than is let on. But there is another issue at hand.

To give the CAA 5 teams and 2 seeds would have created more howls than you are hearing now.

But UNI stole the 3rd seed - I think most of us were hoping for a 4th seed. But when you compare average attendance of 12K-13K at UNI versus 3K-4K at Villanova @ $20-$25 a seat, times maybe two games, you can see where that story is going.

Ain't saying it was right, but UNI was on the short of the stick a few years back in a similar scenario (essentially trading a UNI seed for a third Gateway team).

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Bogus argument. The CAA just gets more teams into the playoffs than anybody else. You can't beat 'em if you don't get to play them. That could just as well mean the CAA gets too many bids.

The CAA's playoff performance indicates otherwise... ;)

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I don't care what the committee says, but dollars figure into the mix more than is let on. But there is another issue at hand.

To give the CAA 5 teams and 2 seeds would have created more howls than you are hearing now.

But UNI stole the 3rd seed - I think most of us were hoping for a 4th seed. But when you compare average attendance of 12K-13K at UNI versus 3K-4K at Villanova @ $20-$25 a seat, times maybe two games, you can see where that story is going.

Ain't saying it was right, but UNI was on the short of the stick a few years back in a similar scenario (essentially trading a UNI seed for a third Gateway team).

I agree.. they will never admit it.. but $$$ have always been and always will be a factor in the seeding process.

joecooll6
November 24th, 2008, 05:42 PM

For the record, we lost to BYU not Northwestern

But I agree, I still dont see how they seeded us and not SIU. The only thing I can see is that the committee took a closer look at the MVFC games and saw how SIU repeatedly got by by a hair, and UNI consistantly won by double digits (YSU being the notable exception).

joecooll6
November 24th, 2008, 05:49 PM
UNI having a nice stadium is the reason they got a seed over Villanova. They have no big wins and won a couple of squeakers vs. mediocre teams. I hope Maine exposes them.

There are a lot of reasons Villanova deserves a seed over us but this is not one of them. UNI won a squeaker against Youngstown, but all the rest of their wins were by 10 or more points. Nova beat Penn by 6 in OT, Northeastern by 6, and Townson by 3.

Villanova has a legit arguement, but this is certainly not the way to go about it.

Pantherpower
November 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
The CAA's playoff performance indicates otherwise... ;)

UNI has a winning record all time (4-2) vs. the CAA in the playoffs. Our victories include two wins over UNH, one win over W&M, and one win over Maine. Our two defeats have come to the Blue Hens of Delaware.

History reveals that we are more than capable of competing with CAA teams and have established ourselves as a top tier program worthy of a seed.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
UNI has a winning record all time (4-2) vs. the CAA in the playoffs. Our victories include two wins over UNH, one win over W&M, and one win over Maine. Our two defeats have come to the Blue Hens of Delaware.

History reveals that we are more than capable of competing with CAA teams and have established ourselves as a top tier program worthy of a seed.
Blue Hens? Delaware? Whodat?

Oh yeah:

ChickenMan
November 25th, 2008, 07:58 AM

The reason you got the seed over Nova was plain and simple... $$$