PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Season Review

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Quite interestingly, the Patriot League regular season ends with no ties in the League standings. No. 1 Colgate is in first place at 5-0, followed by No. 2 Holy Cross at 5-1, No. 3 Lehigh at 4-2, No. 4 Lafayette at 3-3, No. 5 Bucknell at 2-4, No. 6 Fordham at 1-5 and No. 7 Georgetown finishing 0-5 in League action. This contrasts somewhat with the coaches preseason poll of No. 1 Fordham, No. 2 Holy Cross, No. 3 Colgate, No. 4 Lafayette, No. 5 Lehigh, No. 6 Bucknell, and No. 7 Georgetown (which of those was the easiest to pick?). Obviously, the final standings are quite indicative of the relative strengths of the teams. However, the number of late season one point games also points to the parity in the upper echelon. This week Colgate beat HC by 1, last week HC beat Lafayette by 1, and the prior week Colgate beat Lehigh by 1. Had Lehigh and Lafayette won the two games mentioned, 4 teams would have been playing for the championship on the final day. So what were the biggest surprises? Obviously Fordham finishing 5 spots lower than predicted was the the biggest surprise. Colgate and Lehigh each finished 2 spots higher than predicted. Bucknell managed to finish one spot higher while HC, Lafayette, and Georgetown finished as predicted. So what does all of this indicate for next season in the league?

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
why do some teams play 5 games and some play 6 in the patriot league???

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Because things are more interesting that way

LeopardFan04
November 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM

The Colgate-Georgetown game was canceled due to a viral outbreak on Georgetown's campus.

letsgopards04
November 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I think this season is one of what might have been for the pards. Being 7-1 and losing the last three has to hurt especially after beating Liberty.

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Because things are more interesting that way

I'm surprised you still have a sense of humor after Saturday!xlolx xlolx

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Honestly (not trying to sound like a Colgate homer or something), the most interesting thing about this season was the topsy-turvy mix up with Lehigh, Lafayette and Fordham. Lehigh never really brought it all together but had potential, Lafayette fell apart at the end and Fordham never got its act together. You can point to parity and that is likely right but I have a slight nagging feeling of power shifts possibly at play.

Haven't been following it too closely, but has Fordham recruited well in the past two years to rebound? What does Lehigh have coming back as well? Colgate loses a lot on the o-line but we usually have some good bodies there. I'm just trying to see if there are any future trends to consider.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised you still have a sense of humor after Saturday!xlolx xlolx

Always--its just a football game.

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Lafayette fell apart at the end

There seems to be a sudden similarity between Lafayette and that NFL team from Philadelphia. xlolx xnodx

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Always--its just a football game.

After the previous four, I understand all too well. I've been around long enough to experience many ups and downs, but dealing with that 7 year drought had to have been just a little tough.:)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Honestly (not trying to sound like a Colgate homer or something), the most interesting thing about this season was the topsy-turvy mix up with Lehigh, Lafayette and Fordham. Lehigh never really brought it all together but had potential, Lafayette fell apart at the end and Fordham never got its act together. You can point to parity and that is likely right but I have a slight nagging feeling of power shifts possibly at play.

Haven't been following it too closely, but has Fordham recruited well in the past two years to rebound? What does Lehigh have coming back as well? Colgate loses a lot on the o-line but we usually have some good bodies there. I'm just trying to see if there are any future trends to consider.

I thought Fordham had some stud classes, and although I didn't check my blog at worst it was probably the #3 recruiting class last year I think in the PL.

Fordham's complete collapse, IMO, is a total head-scratcher. I saw them in the preseason at media day, and I didn't get the feeling that this was a championship-winning team - but I did think they would beat Dayton and have a winning record. It could be a function of not taking the league by surprise the second time around, but I think there has to be something more than that.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 01:50 PM
There seems to be a sudden similarity between Lafayette and that NFL team from Philadelphia. xlolx xnodx

Really--Actually I think Lehigh is more similar as Lehigh finished the season 5-6 and the Brids will quickly be at 5-6-1. I guess 5-6 is the popular record for teams that train on South Mountain in the summer.

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Really--Actually I think Lehigh is more similar as Lehigh finished the season 5-6 and the Brids will quickly be at 5-6-1. I guess 5-6 is the popular record for teams that train on South Mountain in the summer.

Ouch! :)

You've got to admit though, Lehigh finished on an upswing (although beating only the likes of Bucknell and Lafayette) in the last two games, while Lafayette finished similar to the Eagles current swoon. Just be glad we don't play a 16 game regular season. Oh, by the way, which two teams from Eastern PA made a QB switch at halftime this weekend with similar results? xnodx

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ouch! :)

You've got to admit though, Lehigh finished on an upswing (although beating only the likes of Bucknell and Lafayette) in the last two games, while Lafayette finished similar to the Eagles current swoon. Just be glad we don't play a 16 game regular season. Oh, by the way, which two teams from Eastern PA made a QB switch at halftime this weekend with similar results? xnodx

Thats great, if you would like to continue childish banter and useless comparisons I am sure we can continue.

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thats great, if you would like to continue childish banter and useless comparisons I am sure we can continue.

Oh, sorry to see that jovial sense of humor end so abruptly.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Oh, sorry to see that jovial sense of humor end so abruptly.

Did I mention you only had 37 yards rushing. I though Coen was all about old fashioned smash mouth football xeyebrowx

LEHIGH61
November 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Well the defense certainly "smashed" the Leopards. 8 SACKS!

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Well the defense certainly "smashed" the Leopards. 8 SACKS!

Thats nice

ColgateTD
November 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Sorry to break up the party between you 'Pard and EnginHawk posters, but since Carney2 is crying in his beer, and not paying attention, I'm going to declare myself the winner of the "Patriot League Weekly Pick 'Em" contest with a record of 44-12.

A 78% winning % ain't bad.....xthumbsupx Don't think any of you regular posters can beat that!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry to break up the party between you 'Pard and EnginHawk posters, but since Carney2 is crying in his beer, and not paying attention, I'm going to declare myself the winner of the "Patriot League Weekly Pick 'Em" contest with a record of 44-12.

A 78% winning % ain't bad.....xthumbsupx Don't think any of you regular posters can beat that!

Sorry to dissapoint but i finished at 44-12 overall and 17-3 in the PL. This is AFTER an 0-3 final week. xbawlingx

colorless raider
November 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM

As a unbiased fan and having watched the tape of your game I have four comments.
1. Bad cheap shot by Romans at the end of the game.
2. Pards will really miss Adair.
3. Tavani really screwed up benching Curley(despite bad pick at the end).
4. There is parity in the league and next year will be very similar to this year in htat it will be a tight race.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry to dissapoint but i finished at 44-12 overall and 17-3 in the PL. This is AFTER an 0-3 final week. xbawlingx

Stop yer bawling! One of those wins was the 144th! xthumbsupx

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
As a unbiased fan and having watched the tape of your game I have four comments.
4. There is parity in the league and next year will be very similar to this year in htat it will be a tight race.

1. Good lead-in for next year
2. Very true
3. Yeeeep
4. Probably right, but need to look at the rosters. Not so sure about HC losing Randolph. Colgate definetely team to beat, again..

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I went a delightful 42-14 on picks, including 16-4 in the League

Oh well

Lots of mystery for next year
-Colgate does have a lot coming back, but those losses on the O-Line will be tough to replace
-HC still has a lot of good receivers returning, even if Randolph isn't. If their Defense continues to improve, they'll be in the hunt again
-Lehigh had plenty of talent, but you wonder if those close losses (and some of the playcalling) will continue to haunt them
-Lafayette, I'm sure Frank has some good O-Linemen, will have a tough D, and Quilling is a solid QB. We might start to see if the new facilities are improving their recruiting classes
-Bucknell will likely be about where the usually are, near the bottom, but still dangerous to a team that overlooks them (or just Fordham). They'll miss Pasternak and Kizekai
-Fordham will be the great mystery. Plenty of talent, good coaching, so what happened? 2 diametrical seasons, will the real Rams please stand up?
-Georgetown, well, plays good defense. Supposedly they had some skill players on offense, but no line to help out. An infusion of talent (or at least size) there will help, but how long is Kelly's leash?

Quick and dirty review, but I'll consider this much more when our season is truly good and dead :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Colgate- Should be the favored IMO. Biddle is without a doubt the best coach in the league and Colgate has surpassed Lehigh at this point for the leagues most consistent team over the last 10 years. Odds say they'll be there in the end
Holy Cross- If Dom comes back they'll certaintly be in the mix if not they'll drop to bottom half of the league unless the defense improves.
Lehigh- The defense should be very good the questions i think are on offense. Who fills in at RB and WR? The OL and QB position are both set. If the guys stepping in are as good as advertised a winning record and atleast a run at the title should be in order.
Lafayette- I think they're defense will be better but they have a lot of question marks on offense. A shakey oline, a mess at QB, no proven wr's and no real big RB. Still i think either they or Lehigh will make a serious push next year.
Bucknell- They made some progress this year but still seem to be a few notches below the 4 teams above them. I'd expect more of the same next year.
Fordham- a complete enigma this year although i don't think it's completely surprising. They seemed to be in the right place at the right time last year and flew under the radar. They have some very good players here and there but they do appear to lack depth.
Georgetown- I just don't see things improving. Another winless league record seems very likely in '09.

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Holy Cross- If Dom comes back they'll certaintly be in the mix if not they'll drop to bottom half of the league unless the defense improves.

I'm pretty sure Dom's a Senior, and thus won't be allowed back (not that the Cross wouldn't welcome him, given the chance ;))

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Eh, both of your takes would be the opposite of mine.

Quilling -- no confidence. Curley is our guy.
O-line -- solid, just did not show up against Lehigh.
Defense -- secondary is a joke, LBs and DL should be strong
WRs -- some diamonds in the rough, but yes no proven WR
RBs -- Maurice White is back, pray he is healthy

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
-Georgetown, well, plays good defense. Supposedly they had some skill players on offense, but no line to help out.

People always like to say how Georgetown has more skill players than the year before, but here are the average points per PL game by the Hoyas since 2003. There's a trend here.

2003: 18.3 points per game
2004: 12.8
2005: 12.8
2006: 13.5
2007: 11.6
2008: 11.4

Outside of an underused Kenny Mitchell, where were the impact players? Georgetown was one of only two I-AA teams this season not to score at least 100 points over the course of the season. The other? Campbell, for crying out loud, and Georgetown loses its top two receivers to graduation who accounted for all its passing TD's (6) for whatever that's worth. By contrast, Holy Cross had 34 passing touchdowns.

LEHIGH61
November 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Colgate will probably be favored to repeat next season. But I have analyzed Lehigh's roster and the future looks very bright. With JB Clark back for two years and a solid group of good-sized Offensive Linemen coming back (4 will be Juniors and have been starters), the offense will be in good shape. The ones that stand out are Rackley (295) Schauder (290), Clerge (295), McNamara (285), Giacalone (270), and Pelligrini (290) - and I'm sure they will beef up a little more._ Craig Zurn (Soph) will fill one of the WR slots left vacant by Fitzgerald and Yansane. Fossati will take over at FB, and hopefully Jaren Walker (Soph) will be healthy and return at RB. At TE Wojdowski (Soph) returns (he started a good deal of the time). It all depends on Wide Recievers stepping up next season.

The defense will be lead by an excellent linebacking corps of starters Brickner, Cohen, and Pierce, with either Taylor or Showunmi taking over the spot left by Tim Diamond. Starters Kennedy and Cribbs (both Sophs)return at DB. Veteran BJ Benning will return at one of DL spots.

As a matter of fact, if you look at the youth mentioned above, Lehigh could be awesome in 2 years if they have a good recruiting class. It is actually looking like Andy Coen is achieving his objective in recruiting. And that bodes well for the future.

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Yea I noticed that as I was about to rush the field!

bison137
November 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
-Bucknell will likely be about where the usually are, near the bottom, but still dangerous to a team that overlooks them (or just Fordham). They'll miss Pasternak and Kizekai

Why will they miss Pasternak and Kizekai?? Pasternak is a soph and Kizekai is a junior.

BU will return 18 starters next year and will get back several 2007 starters who missed the season. All five OL who started the first game of this year will return, and yet two of them will likely not start in 2009 since two good starters who missed the whole season will be back.

They also have more QB depth now, with freshman CJ Hopson showing a lot against Fordham - replacing injured Marcello Trigg, who was 4th in the nation in passing before tearing his ACL. Trigg returns next year also.

If BU can develop one more good defensive lineman, there is no reason that they can't be in the title hunt next year. With 33 players returning who have started games, it will certainly be the most talented team since the days of Tom Gadd.

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I just hope Colgate isn't picked to win the league next year. It's a curse! I think with our losses at OL and our shaky defense, we shouldn't be higher than a preseason pick of 3! :)

MDFAN
November 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
A few stupid Frosh mistakes and Hopson/Pasternak likely would have beaten the Mighty (next year is our year) Lehigh

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Why will they miss Pasternak and Kizekai?? Pasternak is a soph and Kizekai is a junior.

BU will return 18 starters next year and will get back several 2007 starters who missed the season. All five OL who started the first game of this year will return, and yet two of them will likely not start in 2009 since two good starters who missed the whole season will be back.

They also have more QB depth now, with freshman CJ Hopson showing a lot against Fordham - replacing injured Marcello Trigg, who was 4th in the nation in passing before tearing his ACL. Trigg returns next year also.

If BU can develop one more good defensive lineman, there is no reason that they can't be in the title hunt next year. With 33 players returning who have started games, it will certainly be the most talented team since the days of Tom Gadd.

I am very impressed with what I have seen with Trigg. You guys are still small and a little weak along the lines but if you shore that up and get the spread working with Trigg you cna make some noise next year.

crusader11
November 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Dom's a Senior, and thus won't be allowed back (not that the Cross wouldn't welcome him, given the chance ;))

They have this thing called a Redshirt where if you get hurt and sit out an entire year you are eligible to come back for another year. I am pretty sure this is a novel idea and is being implemented for the first time this year, so I can understand you know being aware of this. xlolx :D

bison137
November 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I am very impressed with what I have seen with Trigg. You guys are still small and a little weak along the lines but if you shore that up and get the spread working with Trigg you cna make some noise next year.

1. Agree that Trigg is very good, but at least some BU fans have wondered whether Trigg can hold off Hopson for the starting job next year. Hopson was very impressive vs Fordham - except for two rookie mistakes on bad pitches running the option. He is a lot better, as is Trigg, when they run the spread.

2. The big issue for next year is the DL. The OL not only returns 5 opening game starters, but also gets back 2 of their top OL who missed the year due to injuries. The DL returns 2 of the 3 starters, plus all of the reserves, but it wasn't very good this year. The loss of DE Josh Eden - who was the only soph to make 1st team All-PL the year before - to a Mormon mission really hurt this group.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM
1. Agree that Trigg is very good, but at least some BU fans have wondered whether Trigg can hold off Hopson for the starting job next year. Hopson was very impressive vs Fordham - except for two rookie mistakes on bad pitches running the option. He is a lot better, as is Trigg, when they run the spread.

2. The big issue for next year is the DL. The OL not only returns 5 opening game starters, but also gets back 2 of their top OL who missed the year due to injuries. The DL returns 2 of the 3 starters, plus all of the reserves, but it wasn't very good this year. The loss of DE Josh Eden - who was the only soph to make 1st team All-PL the year before - to a Mormon mission really hurt this group.

Your different QB's have different strengths, but I just think the spread is the better O for you. It does appear your 0-line is still a little small but those young guys will bulk up and some of the injured guys will be back. Cerainly the most promising time in Lewisburg in years.

bison137
November 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
FWIW, here are the number of starters by class for each team, based on the Game Notes from the last game of the year. (I've made no attempt to account for injured players etc.)

Bucknell:
offense - 2 seniors, 4 juniors, 2 sophs, 3 frosh
defense - 2 seniors, 5 juniors, 3 sophs, 1 frosh
total - 4 seniors, 9 juniors, 5 sophs, 4 frosh

Colgate:
offense - 6 seniors, 3 juniors, 1 soph, 1 frosh
defense - 4 seniors, 6 juniors, 0 sophs, 1 frosh
total - 10 seniors, 9 juniors, 1 soph, 2 frosh

Fordham:
offense - 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophs, 3 frosh
defense - 4 seniors, 4 juniors, 3 sophs, no frosh
total - 7 seniors, 6 juniors, 6 sophs, 3 frosh

Georgetown:
offense - 2.5 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophs, 2.5 frosh
defense - 2 seniors, 4 juniors, 4 sophs, 1 frosh
total - 4.5 seniors, 6 juniors, 8 sophs, 3.5 frosh

Holy Cross:
offense - 7 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophs, no frosh
defense - 4 seniors, 4 juniors, 3 sophs, no frosh
total - 11 seniors, 6 juniors, 5 sophs, no frosh

Lafayette:

offense - 6 seniors, 5 juniors, no sophs, no frosh
defense - 5 seniors, 5 juniors, 1 soph, no frosh
total - 11 seniors, 10 juniors, 1 soph, no frosh

Lehigh:

offense - 8 seniors, no juniors, 3 sophs, no frosh
defense - 5 seniors, 4 juniors, 2 sophs
total - 13 seniors, 4 juniors, 5 sophs

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 09:20 PM

xdohx

Thought they were Seniors this year

My bad :o

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
FWIW, here are the number of starters by class for each team, based on the Game Notes from the last game of the year. (I've made no attempt to account for injured players etc.)

Ranking these by standings shows a definite trend towards experience:

Colgate: 10 seniors, 9 juniors, 3 underclassmen
Holy Cross: 11 seniors, 6 juniors, 5 underclassmen
Lehigh: 13 seniors, 4 juniors, 5 underclassmen
Lafayette: 11 seniors, 10 juniors, 1 underclassmen
--------
Bucknell: 4 seniors, 9 juniors, 9 underclassmen
Fordham: 7 seniors, 6 juniors, 9 underclassmen
--------
Georgetown: 4.5 seniors, 6 juniors, 11.5 underclassmen

bison137
November 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by bison137

xdohx

Thought they were Seniors this year

My bad :o

Pasternak btw should be one of the few sophs to make 1st team All-PL this year. The only two sophs to make it last year were Bucknell's Josh Eden and A.J. Kizekai.

ngineer
November 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Colgate will be the preseason favorite. With Eachus and Sullivan returning, they just need some wide bodies to open some holes and protect. Biddle seems to be able to plug in the replacements well.
I see Lehigh as #2. Only real question mark is at WR, and there it is only lack of experience. A good amount of talent exists though, with better speed than we had in our seniors. Defense should be very solid. Winett will be back as well and eligible for a medical redshirt down the road. Oh yes. Lehigh will have SEVEN HOME GAMES next year!!xthumbsupx
Lafayette at #3. I would assume Curley gets the nod. Though he had his 'moments' in 144, he did 'engineer' a nice drive in the third. Quilling looked lost and harried. White is a very good back but always seems hurt, but I suspect a good defensive front returnng.
I may be stretching, but Bucknell could rise to #4. A lot of talent returning and they gave a lot of teams a good run before running out of gas in the fourth quarter. '09 could be the year of the 'the move up'.
Holy Cross will be in PR (Post Randolph), and doing a lot of retooling. No idea what the backup QBs were like.
Fordham may have just over achieved in '07. The type of year they suffered through this year could have a serious hang-over effect. Their coaches will have their hands full getting their heads screwed back on.
Georgetown, Georgetown...what do we do with ye? From my observation first hand in DC, I thought the Hoyas had some excellent skill players, but they are way too small up front ;) . Seriously, Lehigh's line outweighed the Hoyas by an average of 25-30 lbs. Can't win in the fourth quarter after having the crap beat out of you. Hoyas will not rise until their scales do. How long must they weight?

letsgopards04
November 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Eh, both of your takes would be the opposite of mine.

Quilling -- no confidence. Curley is our guy.
O-line -- solid, just did not show up against Lehigh.
Defense -- secondary is a joke, LBs and DL should be strong
WRs -- some diamonds in the rough, but yes no proven WR
RBs -- Maurice White is back, pray he is healthy

I don't think our O-line is strong at all. We can no longer run between the tackles effectively and couldn't all season. I do concur that our secondary is pathetic.

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I don't think our O-line is strong at all. We can no longer run between the tackles effectively and couldn't all season. I do concur that our secondary is pathetic.

Our line hasnt played as well as they have in the past but they will be good next year. Plenski and Brown are gone and they are good players but we will fill the holes.

Wojick and Wyoniwski are absolutely enormous and pretty solid, both will be back at guard and center. Hart-Predmore is a good player but is out of position at Tackle. He will move back down inside to guard and he will play well their. Our Tackles will be open but Joe Moore will be back and 100% hopefully to handle the right tackle spot (most likely). The left tackle spot will be open and I think it will go to Bilal Butt and rising Soph., that kid will be a beast.

Our biggest porblem on offense is lack of timely play calls and lack of a true difference maker. White, Coon, and Morrow are nice backs, and I feel White is certainly the best, but neither is a game changer. What we need is consistency at QB and some WR's that can make plays.

colorless raider
November 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM

That was not the pre-season view where all we heard how Coach Hef would mold an all world OL. Big and slow I would say.

letsgopards04
November 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
That was not the pre-season view where all we heard how Coach Hef would mold an all world OL. Big and slow I would say.

I can live with big and slow, but they didn't seem overly tenacious or strong.

letsgopards04
November 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Our line has played as well as they have in the past but they will be good next year. Plenski and Brown are gone and they are good players but we will fill the holes.

Wojick and Wyoniwski are absolutely enormous and pretty solid, both will be back at guard and center. Hart-Predmore is a good player but is out of position at Tackle. He will move back down inside to guard and he will play well their. Our Tackles will be open but Joe Moore will be back and 100% hopefully to handle the right tackle spot (most likely). The left tackle spot will be open and I think it will go to Bilal Butt and rising Soph., that kid will be a beast.

Our biggest porblem on offense is lack of timely play calls and lack of a true difference maker. White, Coon, and Morrow are nice backs, and I feel White is certainly the best, but neither is a game changer. What we need is consistency at QB and some WR's that can make plays.

I agree with the WR comment and as long as Hef and Tavani are there play-calling will be a nightmare.

LEHIGH61
November 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Yippee

LEHIGH61
November 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Latest picture that has significance.