PDA

View Full Version : Seeding in the expanded field?

Woof
November 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM
With the playoffs expanding to a larger field, does anyone know how the seeding will be handled going forward?

I would like to see the committee assign seeds to everyone in the field based on merit use a 4 region approach much like the NCAA basketball tourney. To be fair to everyone, they need to scrap the geographical and conference considerations. I know that means teams are likely to end up playing the power house teams of their conference early on, and may have to travel more, but so what? To be the best, you have to beat the best! Like Coach Ayers said, we will play in a parking lot if we have to, we just want to play !

Don't read any sour grapes into this question because I am not at all upset that my Terriers drew JMU in the 1st round.... (in fact, I think we are looking forward to the challenge and might surprise some folks xthumbsupx) , but in a real tournament bracket as the #1 team JMU should be playing the 16th seed (Maine) and as the 8th ranked team in the country, Wofford should be playing the #9 ranked team.

GannonFan
November 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Yes, in this day and age, with the economy in the crapper and schools cutting programs to save costs, I'm sure the NCAA will opt for a system where teams could travel anywhere at anytime. xrolleyesx

Seeding was abysmal when they had it - it didn't cure any ills and it just multiplied the number of questions surrounding how the committee came up with the obviously flawed seeds. It won't solve the problems you think it will. And Maine wouldn't have been the 16th seed anyway (autobids don't automatically mean higher seeds).

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
IMO Maine wouldve been the 15th seed ahead of only texas st... IMO colgate, eku, and scst are all much better

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I just tried to sit down and figure out the expanded bracket using this years final modified GPI (that the NCAA uses) and it was a mess.

What I did come up with was the additional 4 teams would be:

Albany (NEC AQ)
Liberty (Big South AQ)
William & Mary (At-large)
Elon (At-large)

Based on the modified GPI, the following 10 teams would be playing in the opening round:

Albany
Colgate
SC State
Liberty
EKU
Texas State
Elon
Southern Illinois xeekx

The following 12 would get byes for Thanksgiving:

JMU
App State
UNI
Montana
Cal Poly
Weber St.
Richmond
Villanova
UNH
Maine
W&M
Wofford

But I tried to figure out the brackets and I got stuck because there are so many CAA teams. xlolx

GannonFan
November 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
IMO Maine wouldve been the 15th seed ahead of only texas st... IMO colgate, eku, and scst are all much better

And hence the beginning of the problems. In a 16 team field, Maine could be seeded anywhere from 16 to as high as 12. And that's an easy one to seed. Good luck with 1 through 11 and not pissing someone off.

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Dude, I think you've lost it a little bit here. Maine ends up 12th in the NCAA GPI, way ahead of SIU, Elon, Liberty, Colgate, and SC State.

Maine finished 5-3 in the toughest conference in the land.

RationalGriz
November 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Danefan, in your example, you would have to swap SIU with either W&M or Maine to work it out.

RationalGriz
November 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Just a rough bracket, but something like this:

Elon vs SCST winner vs JMU
Cogate vs Albany winner vs UM
Liberty vs W&M winner vs App
EKU vs Texas St winner vs UNI

then you would have matchup the 4 remaining CAA teams: Nova, UNH, Richmond, and Maine
with the other teams: Weber, SIU, Wofford, and Poly

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Dude, I think you've lost it a little bit here. Maine ends up 12th in the NCAA GPI, way ahead of SIU, Elon, Liberty, Colgate, and SC State.

Maine finished 5-3 in the toughest conference in the land.

north division...

so they would be ahead of siu and colgate and scsu... elon and liberty arent in so it doesnt matter...

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Just a rough bracket, but something like this:

Elon vs SCST winner vs JMU
Cogate vs Albany winner vs UM
Liberty vs W&M winner vs App
EKU vs Texas St winner vs UNI

then you would have matchup the 4 remaining CAA teams: Nova, UNH, Richmond, and Maine
with the other teams: Weber, SIU, Wofford, and Poly

basically your saying travelling will be a serious issue when you have 6 caa teams and 20 overall teams