PDA

View Full Version : Tale of two brackets

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Does anybody else see a huge difference in the two brackets? I understand travel considerations, but come on, with Montana, Villanova, JMU, and Cal Poly, you have AT LEAST 4 legit NC contenders on one side... Other than Appy and Northern Iowa, who else has a legit shot on the bottom half? Discuss... xcoffeex

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Richmond could make some noise.

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Richmond could make some noise.

Noise yes, but legit shot? Just curious, not trying to fire anybody up here...

Appguy
November 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I agree to a point, I think the west teams got woofed this year...as well as wofford...but thats to be expected as it was named after them.

I guess they did it to save money but only having 1 west team in the final 4 guaranteed isn't really fair.

in regards to good teams on our side id like to avoid, I think SIU is under rated big(they did beat UNI). also can never count new hampshire out.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Noise yes, but legit shot? Just curious, not trying to fire anybody up here...

If Ward is hot then Yes. If he comes out flat then No. Defense is always stifling for Richmond.

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I agree to a point, I think the west teams got woofed this year...as well as wofford...but thats to be expected as it was named after them.

I guess they did it to save money but only having 1 west team in the final 4 guaranteed isn't really fair.

in regards to good teams on our side id like to avoid, I think SIU is under rated big(they did beat UNI). also can never count new hampshire out.

I agree that SIU and New Hampshire are usually tough... Should be interesting to see how it shakes out... Truth be told though, if you, as an App fan, had to choose your side of the bracket, or take Montana's spot, what would you do? No brainer...

93henfan
November 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah, Richmond's D is better than last year and the O is not quite as robust sans Hightower, but they are a damn good team with a legitimate shot to beat anybody in the tournament.

GrizFanStuckInUtah

That is the only part I really don't like. Play who you will, it is just annoying that there is NO chance to see a UM vs WSU or CP vs WSU or UM vs CP etc. in a NC game.

WrenFGun
Here's hoping this is finally the year that UNH makes it past the quarters!

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
That is the only part I really don't like. Play who you will, it is just annoying that there is NO chance to see a UM vs WSU or CP vs WSU or UM vs CP etc. in a NC game.

Hopefully plenty of chances to see you guys in Harrisonburg though :D Hopefully....

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Great post... I would love to see Montana-Cal Poly in the NC game... then again, I would love to see Appy in Chatty finally xsmiley_wix Hopefully the griz can uphold their end of the bargain this year and get a date with the best...

Appguy
November 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I agree that SIU and New Hampshire are usually tough... Should be interesting to see how it shakes out... Truth be told though, if you, as an App fan, had to choose your side of the bracket, or take Montana's spot, what would you do? No brainer...

most def, clearly a better path for us then a likely match with Cal Poly/Weber in your 4th of the bracket then JMU for the Semi

ASUG8
November 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Neither is a cake walk, but I'll say especially the non-App bracket. In Boone you have a 10-2 vs. 10-2 with three shutouts. I'm not about to count any chickens for any game. The winner of the JMU bracket will either be so battle tested they will cruise to a win or so beaten up they'll have a tough time. It's going to be a great playoff, as usual.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Well I have UNH winning it all. And how can Richmond not be seen as much of a threat as any team in the field. They lost to JMU with 1 second remaining and only lost to Villanova by 6. Weber State lost to EWU to end the season. Texas State may be the easiest first round matchup in the field.

In my opinion The 2/3 seed bracket is the tougher bracket.

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Neither is a cake walk, but I'll say especially the non-App bracket. In Boone you have a 10-2 vs. 10-2 with three shutouts. I'm not about to count any chickens for any game. The winner of the JMU bracket will either be so battle tested they will cruise to a win or so beaten up they'll have a tough time. It's going to be a great playoff, as usual.

Agreedxthumbsupx

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Well I have UNH winning it all. And how can Richmond not be seen as much of a threat as any team in the field. They lost to JMU with 1 second remaining and only lost to Villanova by 6. Weber State lost to EWU to end the season. Texas State may be the easiest first round matchup in the field.

Good argument, but have you seen Cal Poly? Or how about that one team called the Dukes? Pretty good I think...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM

You are indeed on crack. Wanna switch? xoopsx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Hopefully plenty of chances to see you guys in Harrisonburg though :D Hopefully....

If the Griz can make it that far, I'll make the trip :)

rob_p469
November 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM

yup

WOCO
November 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Does anybody else see a huge difference in the two brackets? I understand travel considerations, but come on, with Montana, Villanova, JMU, and Cal Poly, you have AT LEAST 4 legit NC contenders on one side... Other than Appy and Northern Iowa, who else has a legit shot on the bottom half? Discuss... xcoffeex

Just curious. Did you leave Wofford out of the "legit NC contenders" because they beat the Griz and you don't want to give any props?

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Just curious. Did you leave Wofford out of the "legit NC contenders" because they beat the Griz and you don't want to give any props?

No I think it was because they have the toughest matchup in the first round and it wouldn't be any easier in the second.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Full homer disclosures apply.

I think JMU is glad Richmond is not in their bracket. Especially given that they'd have to play UR at home ;).

And don't tell me that in last year's Semis when UR tied it @ 35 in the 3rd Qtr, ASU fans didn't start tightening up a little bit. Armanti's 3rd-and-12 scramble may very well have saved a game whose momentum was shifting dramatically. And I don't think this year's Richmond D lets anyone post 55.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I think JMU is glad Richmond is not in their bracket. Especially given that they'd have to play UR at home ;).

And don't tell me that in last year's Semis when UR tied it @ 35 in the 3rd Qtr, ASU fans didn't start tightening up a little bit. Armanti's 3rd-and-12 scramble may very well have saved a game whose momentum was shifting dramatically. And I don't think this year's Richmond D lets anyone post 55.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I had a small fit when I seen we'd be playing Villanova again the 2nd round. I was really hoping both of those teams would be on Apps side of the bracket :D

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM

They may be glad they're not in their bracket but I think they'd rather have Richmond in their bracket than 'Nova.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM
They may be glad they're not in their bracket but I think they'd rather have Richmond in their bracket than 'Nova.

Option C: neither.

Go Apps
November 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
App has been faced with a similar scenario in the past couple of years - things always never seem to go the way it is planned - perhaps the bottom bracket will be a surprise..

If App doesnt solve their problems quickly - Richmond will beat them - but I like EKU's chances of an upset - we dont know how good S. ILL and UNI are - and the teams out west could be a bust - or the CAA could go down in flames on week one - you just never know..

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
App has been faced with a similar scenario in the past couple of years - things always never seem to go the way it is planned - perhaps the bottom bracket will be a surprise..

If App doesnt solve their problems quickly - Richmond will beat them - but I like EKU's chances of an upset - we dont know how good S. ILL and UNI are - and the teams out west could be a bust - or the CAA could go down in flames on week one - you just never know..

Have fun with those Richmond lines and the tank named Vaughan that comes crashing through it. Seriously though when that kid comes running defensive bodies start flying.

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Option C: neither.

Well I suppose you can't always get what you want...

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Except that 'Nova has a rep for being an extremely tough home team, and for some weird reason JMU and Richmond keep beating each other on the road.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
If the "favored" teams win, the final 8 are tough no matter how you slice it. There are no easy outs in the final 8 in my opinion. If you are going to win it all, you are going to have to beat some really good teams at some point.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM

I may be on crack but let me explain my reasoning. The Dukes are the #1 team in the country, however they had 3 games they could have easily and maybe should have lost. App had a meltdown and let JMU back in the game and JMU was able to win by 3. Punt return for a touchdown with 1 second against Richmond to win, and a hail mary to beat villanova. 2 of those 3 teams are in the 2/3 seed bracket.

I think Cal Poly is a great team, but have to be completely heartbroken after their near misses. How will they respond. Then you have Weber State who ends their season losing to a non playoff bound team. How will they be feeling going in. (and as a note, with all these statements, I know they can either motivate them or have them down..it's all about how they respond)

There is no denying Montana and JMU being tough. Colgate ended the season with 1 point squeakers. They closed the games and won but I don't see them putting up much of a fight against a very talented Villanova team that was one knockdown away from winning the conference over JMU.

Texas State has been playing in an identity crisis conference all season and end the year with an OT win against lowly Sam Houston so I see them as an easy first round win for Montana.

The lower bracket has the 3 time defending national champions riding a 9 game winning streak and a monster home field advantage.

You have a SC State team that is flying way under the radar riding an 8 game winning streak with their last three games outscoring their opponents 143-0.

You have a Maine team that in all honesty probably didn't think they were getting in, so they are playing with house money and could cause some trouble.

You have two teams in Northern Iowa and New Hampshire who I feel think they have been disrespected all year and are ready to prove people wrong. Northern Iowa is riding a winning streak and haven't lost since S. Illinois.

Southern Illinois shouldn't pose a threat and I think they are still trying to figure out what happened in their last game of the season.

And then you have another matchup in EKU and Richmond. I think Richmond is just as dangerous as any team in the field. They were #1 at one point should make it to the quarters very easy.

Anyways after writing this novel...I guess what I was trying to say...is I think this could be one hell of a playoff year and in my opinion both brackets look very very competetive. xpeacex

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
coming from an app fan there is definately a tougher half of the bracket than the other... doesnt mean our road will be easy just means more "tough" teams on one side IMO

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I may be on crack but let me explain my reasoning. The Dukes are the #1 team in the country, however they had 3 games they could have easily and maybe should have lost. App had a meltdown and let JMU back in the game and JMU was able to win by 3. Punt return for a touchdown with 1 second against Richmond to win, and a hail mary to beat villanova. 2 of those 3 teams are in the 2/3 seed bracket.

I think Cal Poly is a great team, but have to be completely heartbroken after their near misses. How will they respond. Then you have Weber State who ends their season losing to a non playoff bound team. How will they be feeling going in. (and as a note, with all these statements, I know they can either motivate them or have them down..it's all about how they respond)

There is no denying Montana and JMU being tough. Colgate ended the season with 1 point squeakers. They closed the games and won but I don't see them putting up much of a fight against a very talented Villanova team that was one knockdown away from winning the conference over JMU.

Texas State has been playing in an identity crisis conference all season and end the year with an OT win against lowly Sam Houston so I see them as an easy first round win for Montana.

The lower bracket has the 3 time defending national champions riding a 9 game winning streak and a monster home field advantage.

You have a SC State team that is flying way under the radar riding an 8 game winning streak with their last three games outscoring their opponents 143-0.

You have a Maine team that in all honesty probably didn't think they were getting in, so they are playing with house money and could cause some trouble.

You have two teams in Northern Iowa and New Hampshire who I feel think they have been disrespected all year and are ready to prove people wrong. Northern Iowa is riding a winning streak and haven't lost since S. Illinois.

Southern Illinois shouldn't pose a threat and I think they are still trying to figure out what happened in their last game of the season.

And then you have another matchup in EKU and Richmond. I think Richmond is just as dangerous as any team in the field. They were #1 at one point should make it to the quarters very easy.

Anyways after writing this novel...I guess what I was trying to say...is I think this could be one hell of a playoff year and in my opinion both brackets look very very competetive. xpeacex

You would be wrong, both times. SIU never expected anything less than IlSt's best effort of the year. They always play us tough, in the same manner that YSU always plays UNI tough. Besides, I believe IlSt was picked to finish ahead of the Dawgs this year.

nmatsen
November 24th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Here's hoping this is finally the year that UNH makes it past the quarters!

Can you imagine playing the same team three times in 4 seasons in the playoffs and losing everytime? I would be if we played again, and won again (not looking past Maine or talking smack) that N.H. would really probably start to not like us very much. xsmiley_wix

GtFllsGriz
November 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
It does appear that one bracket is kind of stacked. I do hate that the west is all in one bracket. It is kind of hard to fight the same argument every year that the BSC or the west in general, other than Montana, can't make a run in the playoffs if you have to play each other in the first or second round. I think all the conferences that only have two teams in the tourney should be on opposite sides of the bracket. I know it doesn't happen every year but I really think that Weber, Cal Poly and Montana could go deep into the playoff field.

blur2005
November 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM

For the love of God, haven't we gone over this? You can't say App just "let" JMU back into that game. The Dukes made a great comeback. The Dukes outscored App State 35-3 in the second half before that last score by App State. That's domination. It was a tale of two halves, which happens a lot in this sport. You can say Appalachian State was playing really well in the first half and JMU wasn't just as easily as you can say App let JMU back in the game. It's a dumb argument.

Furthermore, JMU wasn't lucky to win at Richmond, McGee just happened to make a play - AGAIN. If he hadn't gotten all the way to the endzone on that return, the Dukes might've been in field goal range and could have won with that. If Richmond hadn't kicked it to him at all, it's not like the Dukes would've lost - the game was going to overtime.

The only lucky win JMU had was Villanova. I don't think any fan of the Dukes will deny this and if they do, well, their idiotic. A hail mary to win is always fortuitous. But don't tell me the other two wins were lucky because they weren't.

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2008, 04:40 PM
It does appear that one bracket is kind of stacked. I do hate that the west is all in one bracket. It is kind of hard to fight the same argument every year that the BSC or the west in general, other than Montana, can't make a run in the playoffs if you have to play each other in the first or second round. I think all the conferences that only have two teams in the tourney should be on opposite sides of the bracket. I know it doesn't happen every year but I really think that Weber, Cal Poly and Montana could go deep into the playoff field.

I couldn't agree more. It does guarentee the west a team in the semis, but if given the chance we might be able to place two or three teams in the final 4.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
For the love of God, haven't we gone over this? You can't say App just "let" JMU back into that game. The Dukes made a great comeback. The Dukes outscored App State 35-3 in the second half before that last score by App State. That's domination. It was a tale of two halves, which happens a lot in this sport. You can say Appalachian State was playing really well in the first half and JMU wasn't just as easily as you can say App let JMU back in the game. It's a dumb argument.

Furthermore, JMU wasn't lucky to win at Richmond, McGee just happened to make a play - AGAIN. If he hadn't gotten all the way to the endzone on that return, the Dukes might've been in field goal range and could have won with that. If Richmond hadn't kicked it to him at all, it's not like the Dukes would've lost - the game was going to overtime.

The only lucky win JMU had was Villanova. I don't think any fan of the Dukes will deny this and if they do, well, their idiotic. A hail mary to win is always fortuitous. But don't tell me the other two wins were lucky because they weren't.

I'm sorry, for me fumbling within 15 yards of scoring and letting a team run the ball 99 yards back on a kickoff to start the second half is letting them back in the game. I've said JMU is the top team and I dont' disagree, but as you put it...for the love of God....JMU has also gotten lucky.

And you couldn't be more wrong about the Richmond game. Richmond choked. What was the score with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game? 31-23 Richmond if I remember correctly.

I pull for JMU because I have been to a lot of their games because one of my best friends is an alum, but whatever makes you sleep better at night. I was merely making points to show that every team is dangerous and you took it as me bashing your team. A champion finishes the game, which JMU has proven to do, but sometimes a little luck never hurt anyone.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
You would be wrong, both times. SIU never expected anything less than IlSt's best effort of the year. They always play us tough, in the same manner that YSU always plays UNI tough. Besides, I believe IlSt was picked to finish ahead of the Dawgs this year.

as conference champion you should not be in overtime with your basement dweller....

GrizDen
November 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Agreed 100%...or at least have the chance that two of those teams could play against each other in the semis. How easy would it be for the committee to switch Weber St./Cal Poly with Villanova/Colgate or for that matter New Hampshire/SIU?

**Just to confirm, I'm tired of the regionalization factor. As was stated in another thread by many others...let's hope it won't be as big a factor when the playoffs expand to 20 teams.

UNIFanSince1983
November 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I hope we can hold up our end of the bargain and the other teams do too. I really want to see SIU come to the UNI-Dome in the second round. And I would love to see my Panthers playing in Boone in the Semis.

That being said I think both side of the bracket are very evenly matched. However, I do not think all three of Cal Poly, Montana and Weber should have been on the same side.

GrizDen
November 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
For those mathematics lovers out there, using the most recent AGS poll, the average ranking of the teams in the JMU/Montana bracket is 9.375. The average ranking of the teams in the App. State/Northern Iowa bracket is 10.125.

Does that mean one side of the bracket is that much tougher....no, does that means it's up for debate...sure.

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
For those mathematics lovers out there, using the most recent AGS poll, the average ranking of the teams in the JMU/Montana bracket is 9.375. The average ranking of the teams in the App. State/Northern Iowa bracket is 10.125.

Does that mean one side of the bracket is that much tougher....no, does that means it's up for debate...sure.

Weber, Poly, Montana, And JMU....all on one side???????????? Come on now. Weber and Poly meeting eachother in FIRST round?????/ Come on now...that's a quarterfinal or semifinal matchup.

OxSoxUNH05
November 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Can you imagine playing the same team three times in 4 seasons in the playoffs and losing everytime? I would be if we played again, and won again (not looking past Maine or talking smack) that N.H. would really probably start to not like us very much. xsmiley_wix

Start?! The one reason i didn't completely lose it when i saw the bracket ist that we aren't playing in the 1st round.

IMHO its a competitive bracket all around.

Houndawg
November 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM
as conference champion you should not be in overtime with your basement dweller....

We held them to 10 points We never trailed in the game. You telling me ASU has never struggled on one side of the ball during a game with an opponent they should have handled? These guys dropped 45 on a good WIU defense.
When you're on a seven game winning streak there's bound to be a game not up to snuff. UNI got lucky at YSU with a blocked XP, it happens. We'll be ready this week.xnodx

Houndawg
November 25th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I hope we can hold up our end of the bargain and the other teams do too. I really want to see SIU come to the UNI-Dome in the second round. And I would love to see my Panthers playing in Boone in the Semis.

That being said I think both side of the bracket are very evenly matched. However, I do not think all three of Cal Poly, Montana and Weber should have been on the same side.

It's an even-numbered year.xrulesx