appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Vote and Discuss

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Cal Poly wins this one to set up another great second round rematch

slycat
November 24th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Cal Poly looks scary good and could be the best team in the county.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Weber easily handled the Griz, and special teams are huge in playoffs. WSU gets the only road win of the first round.

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Weber can slow down CP. CP can't slow down Weber. It'll be a shootout. I think Weber can win.

griz&beer
November 24th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Webber has the tools, this will be the best game all week. It will be a toss up. I like both teams and have the biggest respect for both teams. I will take Webber in a coin toss (Big Sky). If the Griz can't win it all , I hope it is one of these two teams.

Syntax Error
November 24th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Weber just lost to EWU, CP had Wisconsin beat, ummmmmm I'll take CP in this game.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I am taking Weber by an extra point (sorry, I couldn't help my self).

sikolec
November 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I am taking Weber by an extra point (sorry, I couldn't help my self).

Cold...

xsmhx

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2008, 12:04 PM
CAL-PIE......MAYBEAH.....EMOTIONALLY SPENT.......AH'M GOIN' WHIFF.....DWEBER STATE......xnodx......BRAWK/OBAMA!

Kabooom
November 24th, 2008, 01:03 PM
If there is a toss-up game in the playoffs, this is the one......Something to think about however, was last years game at Poly....Weber got absolutly SMOKED...They had nothing but fits with Polys Spread option attack....Overpursuing the Mustangs option...then Qb Dally over the top to Ramses Barden...It was a blow-out...I think Weber having to play on the road will be the difference this time around...Poly by 10

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Weber just lost to EWU, CP had Wisconsin beat, ummmmmm I'll take CP in this game.

for once i like the way you are thinking SE

Kabooom
November 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
If there is a toss-up game in the playoffs, this is the one......Something to think about however, was last years game at Poly....Weber got absolutly SMOKED...They had nothing but fits with Polys Spread option attack....Overpursuing the Mustangs option...then Qb Dally over the top to Ramses Barden...It was a blow-out...I think Weber having to play on the road will be the difference this time around...Poly by 10

.....OOOOPs........My bad....Due to Polys Kicking game(or lack thereof...)..it won't be 10 pts....more like some weird ass number like 8...lolxlolx

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
My heart says Cal Poly, my conscience wants Weber State. I voted Cal Poly because they are being very impressive as of late. But I would really like WEber to win for a rematch in Wa/Griz if we win.

already123
November 24th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I like Cal Poly because of some individual match-ups that are presented here in this game. Cal poly will have the edge offensively because of WSU's man scheme. Weber likes to play man coverage and roll the safety down for run support, this leaves Ramses Barden one-on-one with a (usually pressed) corner. Oddly enough, I think it will be Cal Poly's passing game that is the difference. Defensively, it will come down to YAC (yards after catch for you lame-o's out there). Weber has made most of their money with YAC...similar to Oklahoma's offense for those who watch. If Cal Poly can limit Weber running after the catch, they have a good chance of slowing down their offense. If Easter can do it, im sure Cal Poly can. Which leads me to my next point, that loss to EWU undoubtedly left a scar of WSU, it will be interesting to see how they bounce back.

Also, it helps that Cal Poly has great film to watch from NAU as they run similar 3-3-5 defenses.

tingly
November 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Poly has a so-so pass defense at best, 68th in FCS.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hasn't this already been posted for discussion?xeyebrowx

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hasn't this already been posted for discussion?xeyebrowx

Yes, but this one's a poll.

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
The game last year had Jimmy Barnes as quarterback...

Poly Pigskin
November 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Weber can slow down CP. CP can't slow down Weber. It'll be a shootout. I think Weber can win.

I don't think we'll slow Weber much, but I don't really see them slowing us down a lot either. Their defense doesn't seem to be significantly better than last year; they're allowing the same number of yards/rush (3.7) and only 15 fewer yards/game on the ground (124). I expect both of those numbers to be significantly higher in this game. In the air, they're allowing 218 yards/game vs 212 last year, and only 1.6 fewer yards per catch.

I don't see anything there that says they're going to be more than a speedbump on the way to endzone, much like the game last season. First to 50 wins. xcoolx

GradBison
November 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm rooting for Cal Poly. I didn't leave for the NDSU SDSU game until your game against WI was determined... man sorry for that loss, but it doesn't matter! Good luck in the playoffs.

Grizalltheway
November 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I don't think we'll slow Weber much, but I don't really see them slowing us down a lot either. Their defense doesn't seem to be significantly better than last year; they're allowing the same number of yards/rush (3.7) and only 15 fewer yards/game on the ground (124). I expect both of those numbers to be significantly higher in this game. In the air, they're allowing 218 yards/game vs 212 last year, and only 1.6 fewer yards per catch.

I don't see anything there that says they're going to be more than a speedbump on the way to endzone, much like the game last season. First to 50 wins. xcoolx

My thoughts exactly. I'll definitely try to catch this game online. xnodx

I Bleed Purple
November 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Both teams can move the ball.

Game will probably come down to what every evenly matched games comes down to: Turnovers.

Whoever has the TO margin in the + wins the game.

Mountain Panther
November 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
California Polytechnic wins.

tingly
November 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Poly has a so-so pass defense at best, 68th in FCS.
I messed up, it's 110th. 68th is just defensive passing efficiency.

appstate38
November 24th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Considering that this is a battle between two up and coming teams and they will be out to prove themselves, there is the potential IMO for a mistake filled game. Both teams are going to have to remember to do what got them here in the first place, if either press too much it could be bad.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Poly by 6. Poly by 10 if it keeps its kicker off the field!

GATA
November 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cal Poly exposes a bad team.

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 06:17 PM

On Paper, Cal Poly has the slight edge on offense with 481.4 yd/game and 7.9yd/play. Weber is at a 6.4yd/play and 452 yd/game average. It's gonna be a heck of a fight.

UMStudent
November 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Links
Weber St. vs Montana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffqIG6XqDc
Cal Poly vs. Montana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQjgOboRL8

Note: A majority of the highlights are ours sorry, but we did make these soooo....

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Both teams can move the ball.

Game will probably come down to what every evenly matched games comes down to: Turnovers.

Whoever has the TO margin in the + wins the game.

Turnovers and umm... uh.. the kicking game......xoopsx

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Links
Weber St. vs Montana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DffqIG6XqDc
Cal Poly vs. Montana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQjgOboRL8

Note: A majority of the highlights are ours sorry, but we did make these soooo....

Watched it.

CP game:

Forgot about the 1st quarter punt block
CP may have been better off with a Montana TD rather than the safety followed immediately by a TD
CP kickoff coverage was not good or Montna's return team is really good
CP seemed to have missed a short field goal right at the end?

Weber State game:

Montana had a lot (4) turnovers in pretty bad places at bad times
Looked like the Griz defense was getting a bit gassed based on said turnovers
Weber had a lot of long plays.

Mustang Man
November 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I see Poly grinding this game out much like the Davis and Wisconsin game. Grind, Grind, Grind.

Grizo406
November 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Tough one for me to pick, so I didn't vote.

That aside, I'd like Weber to win this one, so hopefully we could possibly get some payback. On the flip-side, I'd like to see Cal-Poly win, so maybe this time I'd get a chance to meet some of their terrific fans...that travel so very well, and show that you can beat the same team twice in a season.

Provided that the Griz get passed Texas State.

ThreadStopper
November 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Grizo406;1227256]Tough one for me to pick, so I didn't vote.

That aside, I'd like Weber to win this one, so hopefully we could possibly get some payback. On the flip-side, I'd like to see Cal-Poly win, so maybe this time I'd get a chance to meet some of their terrific fans...that travel so very well.QUOTE]

It would be great for Poly to "travel" to Chattanooga with a layover in Montana :)

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
In FCS is there any team that has put in more air miles than Poly? Maybe San Diego? for Poly to NWST, SDSU and Wisconsin. Maybe SUU, NAU,UND or USD?

Grizalltheway
November 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM

xrolleyesx

I fail to see how a team that goes 7-1 in the country's 3rd rated conference could be considered "bad".

aggiemba
November 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Go Poly!

malibudude
November 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Go Poly!

Isn't the week up? or just changed horses?

Mustang Man
November 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Lets see if I can get any Weber State fans to bite on this one.

Same bet as offered to aggiecpa.

Weber wins I display the Weber State football helm as my avatar till the end of their season.

Poly wins you display the Cal Poly football helm as your avatar till the end of Poly's season.

Any Weber State fans willing to step up and take this bet?

malibudude
November 25th, 2008, 12:37 AM
MM, you are offending CPA's, he is AggieMBA xnodx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM

That's right they did. xnodx xnodx xnodx

:D

coover
November 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Cal Poly looks scary good and could be the best team in the county.

Cuesta JC doesn't have a team, nor does Mission High, but Arroyo Grande High has a pretty good team. But still, I think Poly would beat just about any football team in SLO County.

And I know that they will beat any team from Weber County, Utah, too.

tingly
November 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I came a hair from making the same joke. Mission Prep has a team.

coover
November 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
It's just my opinion, but it is mine ...

If the game is played in the mud ... Weber State will have an advantage on the ground. Their big line will be able to open holes agains Poly's quick D Line which loses it's quickness stuck in the mud. Poly, on the other hand, will have the advantage in the air. If Weber double teams Barden, they'll have to stop Tolver. If they play one on one on Barden, they will not stop the Mustangs. Game edge to Poly ... 34 - 24.

If the game is played on a dry field, Weber State will be unable to stop Poly's running game and their passing game. Poly's 1st string line and backs (includes all 4 starting backs and about 3 or 4 others), if they remain in the game for all 4 quarters, will score 70 or more points. While Weber has a great offense and will score often, they will not be able to keep up with Poly's offense as Poly's gambling defense will win some and lose some, winning often enough to keep the score in Poly's favor.

Poly wins 75 - 56.

tingly
November 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Wow, that's a score every 2 minutes. I'd about have a heartattack watching that kinda game.

coover
November 25th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Wow, that's a score every 2 minutes. I'd about have a heartattack watching that kinda game.

Come to SLO next Saturday. We'll notify the hospital you're coming.

Seriously, I've seen both Weber State play (vs. NAU) and Cal Poly vs. several teams. Poly's final offensive score in most of those games was lower than their actual skill level. Usually, their 1st string offense was out of the game by the start of the 4th quarter. In one game, they were out prior to the end of the 1st half. Weber will not be able to stop them defensively and Poly will (seemingly) score at will.

Poly will also have a difficult time with Weber State's offense, but their defensive style is to gamble a lot. They will win some of those gambles. They will not stop Weber all the time, but they will stop them frequently enough to win this game by 2 to 3 touchdowns.

If it is muddy, however, ...

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 25th, 2008, 02:59 AM
updated forecast hi 73 lo 47 sunny all day 0% chance of rain

watch out weber

tingly
November 25th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I'll have San Luis Ambulance on speed dial. My brother was at the NAU game. He said Weber is the real deal.

Rain is mainly predicted for Tuesday night, 1-2 inches. Oo! change of forecast on weather.com. Saturday is down to a 10% chance *including* night time, high of 73. KSBY says 68.

WestCoastAggie
November 25th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Personally, Cal Poly are MY FAVORITES TO WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING! Cal Poly wins 45-28

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Boy do you guys not give our defense enough credit.

Also quite possibly give your offense too much credit. I'm off to look at stats, especially against common opponents.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Also quite possibly give your offense too much credit. I'm off to look at stats, especially against common opponents.

What is this thing called defense you speak of? xwhistlex :D

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Looking at the stats, we had more offense against the common opponents but they played better defense against them.

Cal Poly has 4814 yards in 10 games, at 481.4 yds per game, and Weber has 5424 in 12 games, for a 452.0 average. We give up 343 a game. They give up 351 per game.

20 or so yards difference. That's an extra field goal try which, from what I've heard, your kicker would miss anyway.

Game will come down to turnovers, plain and simple. There is no superior offense on either side.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
What is this thing called defense you speak of? xwhistlex :D

The one that scares its opponent's fullback into dropping the ball near his own goaline. xwhistlex :D

tingly
November 26th, 2008, 01:27 AM
The chance of rain changed to 0% from Friday afternoon through Saturday night. 0.3" fell today and showers are all that's supposed to happen for the rest of the week if any.

Ticket sales were slow today, maybe 300. There are at least 4 sections to sell plus unsold student tickets.

[EDIT] Wednesday's early morning rain was an eighth of an inch, 0.42" total.

coover
November 26th, 2008, 01:51 AM

You can't look at Cal Poly's stats and make any sense of them. The first string rarely played the whole game, sometimes coming out during the first half, allowing the substitutes to play the rest of the game.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Cal Poly got a lot of bandwagon fans after their performance against Wisconsin. Let's hope their kicker is taking lessons. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Poly Pigskin
November 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
You can't look at Cal Poly's stats and make any sense of them. The first string rarely played the whole game, sometimes coming out during the first half, allowing the substitutes to play the rest of the game.

And our common opponents were Montana and Idaho State. Holy small sample size, Batman!

uofmman1122
November 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM
And our common opponents were Montana and Idaho State. Holy small sample size, Batman!And we had our worst game against Weber State, and not even our best game against Cal Poly.

Close game, but I took Cal Poly with their superior offense, plus being at home.

coover
November 26th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Cal Poly got a lot of bandwagon fans after their performance against Wisconsin. Let's hope their kicker is taking lessons. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yes, there probably are a lot of bandwagon fans.However, I am proud to say that I have been a Cal Poly fan since 1959, Bandwagon? Hardly!

CopperCat
November 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Weber got hosed IMO. They should be playing one at home, even if their fanbase doesn't show up in large numbers. Even so, I give Weber the nod in this game simply because of the way they played through their season. They were tenacious on every front, especially defense. They are the class of the Big Sky, I hope they won't disappoint.

uofmman1122
November 26th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Weber got hosed IMO. They should be playing one at home, even if their fanbase doesn't show up in large numbers. Even so, I give Weber the nod in this game simply because of the way they played through their season. They were tenacious on every front, especially defense. They are the class of the Big Sky, I hope they won't disappoint.Poly, Weber, and Montana all got screwed, IMO.

Three teams that had a great shot at "upsetting" some Eastern Teams, however it seems the committee decided that it's better if the three western teams just eliminate each other before the ****ing Semis. xnonono2x

Once again, regionalization FT-****ing-L.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Cal Poly
Two very good teams, and it's a real shame they have to meet in the first round (stupid regionalization). Weber put together a very strong season, but Cal Poly has looked for most of the year like one of the teams to beat nationwide. Mustangs are simply too much for the Cats in this one

LacesOut
November 26th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I know nothing about either team.

I took Cal Poly.

slostang
November 26th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Weber got hosed IMO. They should be playing one at home, even if their fanbase doesn't show up in large numbers. Even so, I give Weber the nod in this game simply because of the way they played through their season. They were tenacious on every front, especially defense. They are the class of the Big Sky, I hope they won't disappoint.

The selection committee would of had a hard choice regarding seeds if Weber State and Cal Poly both had one on Saturday. Had Weber won I think they would have received the seed that UNI got and they would be hosting Cal Poly. When they lost to EWU they lost the chance a seed and then it came down to the bid. WSU averaged about 6,500 a home game compared to Cal Poly average of just over 10,000 and Cal Poly was able to bid higher for the first round.

It is a shame that there is only a chance of one of the true western FCS teams making to the semi-finals. Regionalization sucks.

tingly
November 26th, 2008, 01:59 PM
It's a necessary evil. If Big Sky got 3 teams into the playoffs, I bet Poly would have played the #3 team and Weber would have flown east.

gbhmt
November 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
It's a necessary evil. If Big Sky got 3 teams into the playoffs, I bet Poly would have played the #3 team and Weber would have flown east.

Three teams from BSC was never a possibility. It's the fact that three NC caliber teams are balled into one part of one bracket because they're from the West.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Went with the home team - Cal Poly.

tingly
November 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Three teams from BSC was never a possibility.

I know, I was just saying if.

I have Poly winning, but I know 1 little badly-timed play can give the edge to Weber.

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 06:55 PM
This is not smack - how much of a rope does Gardner get? You would have to think that that performance at Camp Randall is still rattling around in his head. Is the other kicker a realistic replacement (he is second string for a reason)?

Just curious.

BTW - is it Saturday yet?

tingly
November 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The coach says he is sticking with Gardner, do or die.

slostang
November 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
The coach says he is sticking with Gardner, do or die.

He said he was one of the team and part of the family and they stand by him. He did not say he was sticking with him, do or die. He did say he was hoping to make it competitive this week, but the kicker who would challenge Gardner has the flu this week.

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
That's not encouraging for Cal Poly backers.

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Without a new kicker at Cal Poly I like Weber State's chances.

Weber State 28 Cal Poly 18. (Cal Poly will miss their first PAT kick and then try for two on two other TD's and fail on them as well!)

coover
November 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Weber State 28 Cal Poly 18. (Cal Poly will miss their first PAT kick and then try for two on two other TD's and fail on them as well!)

The kicker won't make much difference this game. It takes a lot of missed extra points for a team to lose when they've scored 2 or 3 more touchdowns than the other team.

Besides, until the Wisconsin game, Gardner was quite accurate on extra points, something like 54 for 56. The Wisconsin game was an anomaly.

Poly Pigskin
November 27th, 2008, 12:20 AM

That's your prediction for the end of the 1st quarter, right?

If either team is held below 30 I will be shocked. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that BOTH defenses play well enough to hold the opposition under 30.

Throw It To Ramses!!!
November 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Poly all the way!!! Comin back early from thanksgiving break for this one. Little worried about the student population tho. Had to recruit hardcore just to get 15 friends to come. Most people at Poly couldn't care less about this game and it sucks because i fear this will be our last home playoff game for a little while. However i will be standing front row 50 yard line with my fellow mustang maniacs screaming my lungs out for my mustangs to beat weber and get a rematch with montana. I'm a senior at Cal Poly now and nothing rivals the excitment of CP-Montana in the last 3 years of my college career. Lets keep that tradition alive.