PDA

View Full Version : Who will win? Maine at UNI

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Vote and Discuss

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
UNI dome will be too much for the last team to make the field... could set up another great second round matchup

slycat
November 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Maine has to prove why they were a bubble team.

nmatsen
November 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Looking at the stats it appears that Maine likes to run the ball, and isn't the best against the run. That sets up well for Northern Iowa.

Can anyone confirm or deny Maines style of play?

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Maine has no chance unless they catch UNI looking past them to a rematch with SIU.

Cobblestone
November 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Go Black Bears! Make the CAA and the old Yankee Conference proud. xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Maine vs UNI stats..

UNI ------ Maine

28.5 --- 30.4 - points for
16.2 --- 21.3 - points against
200 --- 196 - rush off
107 --- 133 - rush def
159 --- 136 - pass off
195 --- 183 - pass def
359 --- 332 - total off
302 --- 315 - total def

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
UNI dome will be too much for the last team to make the field... could set up another great second round matchup

Good call!xthumbsupx

nmatsen
November 24th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Its funny how UNI leads every category, even the offensive ones, yet trails in points scored. Has Maine had any big blow out games that would have scewed the stats or anything?

I know our defensive yardage stats are probably scewed a little from letting SMS gain 78 yards for the game. I guess that averages out BYU's 600 they put up.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Watch out for the surprise onside kick!!!! :p

Big Al
November 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Run-first offenses don't seem to fare the best against UNI's defense. WIU can testify to that. We are much more vulnerable to the pass.

Definitely feel good about UNI's chances this Saturday.

Jackman
November 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Bad matchup for Maine. Would rather have seen them at SIU. Would rather have seen UNH at UNI, but I guess they didn't want to do that again.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Maine has the same "No chance in the dome" that UNH had last year.

I'm not making any predictions here, but don't expect UMaine to show up and lay down.

By the why there are many potential great second round match ups in this bracket.xnodx

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think this is a pretty evenly matched game. UMaine's defense is very good and very athletic, as they allowed the second fewest points that UNH has scored this season (to 'Nova's 13). I would be surprised if the finish wasn't within two scores, either way.

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I'm not making any predictions here, but don't expect UMaine to show up and lay down.

By the why there are many potential great second round match ups in this bracket.xnodx

Well, you know, Yorkie, though UNI fans here welcome the draw, it does not mean anyone is expecting a lay-down.

Fans are idiots. The coaches and players are what counts. Guarantee Farley ain't at the spa today.

:)

Big Al
November 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Considering that UNI has been unable to really throttle anyone of note with their offense this year, I'd say it's unlikely for UNI to win by more than 2 scores.

As I recall from last year's game, UNH was a pretty pass-happy offense. Is that still the case? If so, Maine will have a greater challenge with UNI's more balanced offense.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Maine gets bookened by the state of Iowa. If you were playing Iowa State, much better chance of winning. Maybe they should goto Ames instead.

UNI 35 Maine 21

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 24th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Well, you know, Yorkie, though UNI fans here welcome the draw, it does not mean anyone is expecting a lay-down.

Fans are idiots. The coaches and players are what counts. Guarantee Farley ain't at the spa today.

:)

I was very impressed with the smart play of UNI last year (exp the last drive)
xoopsx

Khan4Cats
November 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM

IMO this UNI is much better than the undefeated team of a year ago. We have been playing all year with missing pieces. Everyone thought we'd have a tough time replacing Sanders and the O-Line and we have kept clicking despite starting a new QB, and then having to use a RS Fr QB to replace him for a few games. The O-line has come together despite the injuries that took out the #2 C and forced us to move a DL to OL this year and a couple other OL who are playing basically held up by tape and braces. Our defense has gelled despite injuries to the secondary and D-Line. The special teams struggled early but has come on as of late.

We may not have shown the most explosive offense, but as I noted we have been playing with dinged or new QB's. The last few weeks we have won without what many thought would be two of our most dangerous offensive threats. We've tailored game plans to win the games we have played, not win style points. I think this week Maine will get to see Pat Grace unleashed a little since we are in the play-offs and there is confidence in Zach Davis if something does happen. The depth on this team is greater than it has ever been.

I don't expect Maine to lay down. But their strength plays right into our hands on defense. On defense, Maine will have to contain our running, but they have the added confusion of not knowing who to key on in the passing game since our top 2 receivers were dismissed (a little hint: the back-ups aren't a drop-off in talent, just experience). This won't be a blowout because both teams will keep the clock running, but as long as UNI takes care of the football, I see Maine going 0-2 in Iowa this year.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 12:00 PM
UNI's defense is much improved this year, especially the secondary. Though the rush defense is still better than pass, but the secondary is "much less bad" as my five year old would say.

UNI has the advantage on the kicking game (FG stats, not XP).

Finally, our Offense Coordinator clenches up anytime we get up by two scores. We go from a dynamic run/pass mix to running up the middle over and over. The team had the talent to hang 50+ plus on Indiana State or Mo State, but shortened the game and put in the subs instead. It's just the coaching staff's style - it occasionally comes back to bite them in the a$$.

art vandelay
November 24th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Considering that UNI has been unable to really throttle anyone of note with their offense this year, I'd say it's unlikely for UNI to win by more than 2 scores.

As I recall from last year's game, UNH was a pretty pass-happy offense. Is that still the case? If so, Maine will have a greater challenge with UNI's more balanced offense.

Nah, UNH is pretty balanced this year. Their run game is much much improved. Last year the problem was injuries. By the time we got to UNI it was mostly second string players. This year UNH has been pretty fortunate in that they have not been to injury prone. I would even go as far as to say we have had as much success on the ground as through the air; however we still pass more because we have some good receivers.

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
UNI's defense is much improved this year, especially the secondary. Though the rush defense is still better than pass, but the secondary is "much less bad" as my five year old would say.

UNI has the advantage on the kicking game (FG stats, not XP).

Finally, our Offense Coordinator clenches up anytime we get up by two scores. We go from a dynamic run/pass mix to running up the middle over and over. The team had the talent to hang 50+ plus on Indiana State or Mo State, but shortened the game and put in the subs instead. It's just the coaching staff's style - it occasionally comes back to bite them in the a$$.

Piker,
I'm no expert but, it's my thought that, knowing playoff foes would be getting the INSU video, they were intentionally being very bland, not wanting to highlight anything more elaborate in their offensive scheme. Extra bonus is that it was an opportunity work out some running game bugs.

I was at that game, too, and it seemed to me that it was just a play date for the defense.

xnodx xnodx

Again, my expertise lies with the female body, not necessarily football strategery.

:D :D :D :D

ValleyChamp
November 24th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Again, my expertise lies with the female body, not necessariloy football strategery.

Clearly it is Cap, Judging from your avatar.xlolx

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Piker,
I'm no expert but, it's my thought that, knowing playoff foes would be getting the INSU video, they were intentionally being very bland, not wanting to highlight anything more elaborate in their offensive scheme. Extra bonus is that it was an opportunity work out some running game bugs.

I was at that game, too, and it seemed to me that it was just a play date for the defense.

xnodx xnodx

Again, my expertise lies with the female body, not necessariloy football strategery.

I see that from your avatar xthumbsupx

I have been mildly critical of the offensive play calling every time we get up by two scores all season, not just IN ST. My pet peeve since the Tampa 2 is no longer such a glaring issue. Farley & crew just seems to never put the hammer down to finish the deal.

I would agree that many of the reserves were playing the last three weeks, some by necessity unfortunately. Good for depth & rest. Hopefully we do not come out flat like last year's game against UNH.

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM
My heart says UNI, my conscience wants Maine. Love those blackbears, but this is one game that might be pretty lopsided. UNI just has too much power

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I see that from your avatar xthumbsupx

I have been mildly critical of the offensive play calling every time we get up by two scores all season, not just IN ST. My pet peeve since the Tampa 2 is no longer such a glaring issue. Farley & crew just seems to never put the hammer down to finish the deal.

I would agree that many of the reserves were playing the last three weeks, some by necessity unfortunately. Good for depth & rest. Hopefully we do not come out flat like last year's game against UNH.

Not seeing this. They don't run up the score if that's what you're thinking. Also, since you mentioned it, what are some times in which playing conservatively actually "bit us in the ass" or lost us a game? Did we play not to lose v YSU?

ValleyChamp
November 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Whats tougher, a grizzly bear or a black bear?

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
My heart says UNI, my conscience wants Maine. Love those blackbears, but this is one game that might be pretty lopsided. UNI just has too much power

Who asked you?

xcoffeex

:p :p :p :p :p

Cap'n Cat
November 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Whats tougher, a grizzly bear or a black bear?

Black bears are pets compared to grizzlies.

crunifan
November 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think the UNI-Dome will be the end of Maine (though it won't help them), it will be UNI's defense. They play right into our strengths.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Not seeing this. They don't run up the score if that's what you're thinking. Also, since you mentioned it, what are some times in which playing conservatively actually "bit us in the ass" or lost us a game? Did we play not to lose v YSU?

I am thinking about the games earlier in the season. USD was stopped by the defense, repeatedly. Same for NDSU at the end of the game.

Would SIU last year qualify?

unhfan1
November 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Will Gray and Williams play? I read that they were busted for pot possession.

Big Al
November 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM
No, they won't and yes, they were.

Mountain Panther
November 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
No, they won't and yes, they were.

Gray won't play, don't be so sure about Williams.

UNI wins.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
What are you smokin Mountain Panther? Williams was dismissed from the team. The bridge has been burned, hasn't it?

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM

I don't remember that many people saying UNH had no chance last year. UNH-UNI last year made us feel screwed over. We knew we were in for a game.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
What are you smokin Mountain Panther? Williams was dismissed from the team. The bridge has been burned, hasn't it?

reportedly no.... xwhistlex

Mountain Panther
November 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I realize a lot of information doesn't make it over the Rockies....more to come on this, stay tuned.

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM
That's a 180. Charges are being dropped against Williams if read into this correctly?

Mountain Panther
November 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM
That's a 180. Charges are being dropped against Williams if read into this correctly?

It's very possible but no confirmation that he'll be back on the team for the playoffs.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
rumors..........

SeattleGriz
November 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Picked UNI because they can pass and run, plus they see a decent amount of run heavy teams in their conference. Too much going for UNI.

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 06:52 PM
UNI folks, how do you feel about the losses at wide receiver? Y'all have other guys that can step up?

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Though Johnny Gray was the leading receiver YTD before auditioning for the Longest Yard prison team, most feel that he was not making many impact plays through the season, other than one where we ended up 3rd and goal from the 40 on a bad reverse.

If there is any position we are deep at, it is WR. We have 5 or 6 6 foot or more WR, a couple with crazy speed. They have been getting more work in the past couple weeks, including special teams.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
UNI folks, how do you feel about the losses at wide receiver? Y'all have other guys that can step up?

Not too worried about it.

Seawolf97
November 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I will go with Maine in a mild upset.

DOME
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Is FOX or Connections going to air this game?

Blue42
November 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I will go with Maine in a mild upset.

If it happened, you'd be half right. It would be an upset. xrotatehx

skinny_uncle
November 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
They have kept winning without them. It doesn't seem to be a major problem.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Is FOX or Connections going to air this game?

Hope not. We need some butts in those stands.

Herdman
November 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm concerned about the Panther's conservative nature this year, but I also like the way they play ball control football. I like the way Farley talks about how this years team has "matured", "grown" and "come togther" as the season has gone along. I suppose every coach can say that about their team in some way or another. It's obvious this years team is special to him without him saying it.

Go Panthers!

Chi Panther
November 24th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I have heard lloyd is hurt pretty bad....anyone in the know?

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
This is one I'm not sure of. Have only seen Maine twice,not seen UNI at all this year.

I'm thinking Panthers will take it,but I'm willing to bet Maine D keeps it close.

UNI Pike
November 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Word is that UNI is withholding tv broadcast rights (as much as is in their control) to cover the bid our AD put in place. Definitely concerned about attendance. I believe that last year during the playoffs, all radio feeds were free, correct?

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Northern Iowa
Maine is good, and while their case may not have been as strong as W&M's, that's debatable, such is life, the Bears are in, and it's not as if they are undeserving. Still, the Dome is no picnic to visit, and UNI has very quietly put together a strong season and is always a tough out in the playoffs. It won't happen this weekend

Houndawg
November 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM
UNI will methodically kick a mudhole in Maine's collective azz and stomp it dry. You need difference-maker's to beat those guys.

bcrawf
November 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Lloyd will start and play Saturday. Farley said he easily could have come back last week, but the were being extra cautious...

LacesOut
November 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
C'mon Maine!!!!

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hope Dannen turns the thermostat up to 80. Do bad opening the doors does not have the same affect on kickers as it once did (the roof used to be supported by air pressure, now it is metal).

BCS Sucks
November 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Come on Mainiacs!!

Ya xnodx xnodx and i dont think UNI deserved the #3 seed anyway

JayJ79
November 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Hope Dannen turns the thermostat up to 80. Do bad opening the doors does not have the same affect on kickers as it once did (the roof used to be supported by air pressure, now it is metal).

I'm guessing that was more superstition than physics there, bud.

BlueHen86
November 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
UNI wins a close one.

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I don't think the UNI-Dome will be the end of Maine (though it won't help them), it will be UNI's defense. They play right into our strengths.

But has UNI played a team that runs the ball as well as Maine does? Maine has multiple weapons in the running game. Their QB is a solid ball carrier, and their fullback might be the best at his position in the FCS division. Maine also has a game breaking tailback who can score from anywhere on the field. I'm not sure Maine wants to get to far behind because their QB Mike Brusko is an average throwing QB at best. He won't throw a lot of deep balls that is for sure.

I think Maine will have a chip on their shoulder going into this game. The William and Mary Coach may have put that chip their. They have something to prove and when you give a team that is this good on both sides of the ball, a second chance, they usually make the most of those chances. I think Maine shocks the world on Saturday and controls the clock and final score. Maine 24 UNI 14.

Mountain Panther
November 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
But has UNI played a team that runs the ball as well as Maine does? Maine has multiple weapons in the running game. Their QB is a solid ball carrier, and their fullback might be the best at his position in the FCS division. Maine also has a game breaking tailback who can score from anywhere on the field. I'm not sure Maine wants to get to far behind because their QB Mike Brusko is an average throwing QB at best. He won't throw a lot of deep balls that is for sure.

I think Maine will have a chip on their shoulder going into this game. The William and Mary Coach may have put that chip their. They have something to prove and when you give a team that is this good on both sides of the ball, a second chance, they usually make the most of those chances. I think Maine shocks the world on Saturday and controls the clock and final score. Maine 24 UNI 14.

I'm going to make this real simple...you focus on running Saturday, you're in for a long day.

Mountain Panther
November 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
UNI wins a close one.

UNI in a not-so-close one.

TCisMYhero
November 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
But has UNI played a team that runs the ball as well as Maine does? Maine has multiple weapons in the running game.

Herb Donaldsen(check). Tyler Roelle(check). Not a problem.xcoffeex

kkkk2008
November 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
UNIdome magic will work again. Panthers keep the fans in the dome for the entire game and win at end 31-28.

Mountain Panther
November 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM
CAA, nuff said.

Explain this. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM

Great run teams is what the MVFC is made of. Great run D is what we are proud of. We've played plenty of teams with running qbs, triple option sets, and all americans.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM
But has UNI played a team that runs the ball as well as Maine does? Maine has multiple weapons in the running game. Their QB is a solid ball carrier, and their fullback might be the best at his position in the FCS division. Maine also has a game breaking tailback who can score from anywhere on the field.

WIU, NDSU, and SIU all have game-breaking tailbacks at least as good as Maine's. You're going to need at least one big play from your defense or special teams if you decide to play smash-mouth.
Of course, since UNI is quicker, smash-mouth may be Maine's only chance. Too tough an opponent for a first-time playoff team., imo.

crunifan
November 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
WIU, NDSU, and SIU all have game-breaking tailbacks at least as good as Maine's. You're going to need at least one big play from your defense or special teams if you decide to play smash-mouth.
Of course, since UNI is quicker, smash-mouth may be Maine's only chance. Too tough an opponent for a first-time playoff team., imo.

Obviously this will go unappreciated by CAA fans, but how UNI has completely contained Herb Donaldson is an accomplishment only us MVC fans can appreciate.

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM
We keep hearing about this great Panther run defense but it's highly unlikely they have seen the overall talent Maine possesses. As I mentioned in a previous post remember this name Panther fans. Jared Turcotte, because your all world run defense will get a steady dose of this fullback and he is a first team all-CAA performer. He can do it all including catching the ball down field. So far this season I've not seen a CAA defender take him on one-on-one and come out on the better end of things. He is a load, who punishes would be tacklers with his 6'2" 235 pound frame.

Maine also has a player that likely would have been a first team selection at tailback if not for an injury that sidelined him for several games. His name is Jhamal Fluellen. Fluellen can score from anywhere on the field and he doesn't need a lot of time and space. The only positive to Fluellen's injury was the entrance onto the seen of one Mr. Derrick Session, a 6'1" 218 pound, Freshman. Session has been a pleasent surprise who can run between the tackles or take a pitch and tear up some big yards.

The biggest key Panther fans is the Maine offensive line. They are big and athletic. They have two All-CAA performers on this line and when Turcotte isn't pancaking would be tacklers while carrying the ball, he is running over them as a lead blocker. I'm certain the Panthers will win plenty of battles on Saturday, but I'm also certain they have not seen a team that plays the kind of smash mouth football that Maine does for 60 minutes.

I almost forgot about the BLACK HOLE DEFENSE! They'll bend, but they rarely break. Maine's BLACK HOLE DEFENSE is very opportunistic, and the best defensive player in the CAA plays for this defensive unit. Jovan Belcherxbowx will be playing a lot of games on Sunday I have no doubt. He is the best defensive player I've seen at Maine, EVER. That's right he's even better then Stephen Cooper, who is now a linebacker for the Chargers. The UNI QB and running backs had better strap those chin straps on real tight Saturday afternoon because if they don't they might be looking out their ear hole once Mr. Belcher hits them!xoopsx To qoute a UNH fan I sat with last weekend, "Mr. Belcher is a man playing with boys!" I'm guessing during obvious passing situations that UNI will double and triple team Jovan. Of course Maine has other great defensive players like middle linebacker Andrew Downey and some very solid defensive backs who can cover the deep ball. My concerns are their abilities to tackle running backs and wide outs on screen passes and slants. But as we say up here in Maine in the BLACK HOLE DEFENSE we trust.xnodx

Houndawg
November 26th, 2008, 06:23 PM
We keep hearing about this great Panther run defense but it's highly unlikely they have seen the overall talent Maine possesses. As I mentioned in a previous post remember this name Panther fans. Jared Turcotte, because your all world run defense will get a steady dose of this fullback and he is a first team all-CAA performer. He can do it all including catching the ball down field. So far this season I've not seen a CAA defender take him on one-on-one and come out on the better end of things. He is a load, who punishes would be tacklers with his 6'2" 235 pound frame.

Maine also has a player that likely would have been a first team selection at tailback if not for an injury that sidelined him for several games. His name is Jhamal Fluellen. Fluellen can score from anywhere on the field and he doesn't need a lot of time and space. The only positive to Fluellen's injury was the entrance onto the seen of one Mr. Derrick Session, a 6'1" 218 pound, Freshman. Session has been a pleasent surprise who can run between the tackles or take a pitch and tear up some big yards.

The biggest key Panther fans is the Maine offensive line. They are big and athletic. They have two All-CAA performers on this line and when Turcotte isn't pancaking would be tacklers while carrying the ball, he is running over them as a lead blocker. I'm certain the Panthers will win plenty of battles on Saturday, but I'm also certain they have not seen a team that plays the kind of smash mouth football that Maine does for 60 minutes.

I almost forgot about the BLACK HOLE DEFENSE! They'll bend, but they rarely break. Maine's BLACK HOLE DEFENSE is very opportunistic, and the best defensive player in the CAA plays for this defensive unit. Jovan Belcherxbowx will be playing a lot of games on Sunday I have no doubt. He is the best defensive player I've seen at Maine, EVER. That's right he's even better then Stephen Cooper, who is now a linebacker for the Chargers. The UNI QB and running backs had better strap those chin straps on real tight Saturday afternoon because if they don't they might be looking out their ear hole once Mr. Belcher hits them!xoopsx To qoute a UNH fan I sat with last weekend, "Mr. Belcher is a man playing with boys!" I'm guessing during obvious passing situations that UNI will double and triple team Jovan. Of course Maine has other great defensive players like middle linebacker Andrew Downey and some very solid defensive backs who can cover the deep ball. My concerns are their abilities to tackle running backs and wide outs on screen passes and slants. But as we say up here in Maine in the BLACK HOLE DEFENS we trust.xnodx

I guarantee they have.

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
One big glaring weakness that Maine does have and won't fix this season. Horrible special teams play. They have the worst place kicker in the nation I do believe. Well maybe not the worst unless you take out the Cal Poly kicker. Maine's kick off coverage has been up and down all season. They do have have some potential game breakers on their kick and punt return teams, but they also turn the ball over way to much on special teams.

Finally, like most Jack Cosgrove Coached teams they are prone to making very bad decisions at the most horrible times. Take last week for example. Maine ran an option play against UNh and a TD was called back on holding call. Need I say more. Generally Cosgrove Coached teams lack discipline at very key moments in games.

UNIFanSince1983
November 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I hope your team thinks as little about the Panthers and the MVC as you do. Because I guarantee they lose by three touchdowns if they think they can walk into the dome and just waltz outta there with a win. I foresee a very hard fought smashmouth game which is what the MVC is week in week out. Smashmouth for the CAA is quite a different story than it is for us big midwestern boys. I think it should be close, but if you can't pass the ball you won't win.

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I almost forgot about the BLACK HOLE DEFENSE! They'll bend, but they rarely break. Maine's BLACK HOLE DEFENSE is very opportunistic, and the best defensive player in the CAA plays for this defensive unit. Jovan Belcherxbowx will be playing a lot of games on Sunday I have no doubt. He is the best defensive player I've seen at Maine, EVER. That's right he's even better then Stephen Cooper, who is now a linebacker for the Chargers. The UNI QB and running backs had better strap those chin straps on real tight Saturday afternoon because if they don't they might be looking out their ear hole once Mr. Belcher hits them!xoopsx To qoute a UNH fan I sat with last weekend, "Mr. Belcher is a man playing with boys!" I'm guessing during obvious passing situations that UNI will double and triple team Jovan. Of course Maine has other great defensive players like middle linebacker Andrew Downey and some very solid defensive backs who can cover the deep ball. My concerns are their abilities to tackle running backs and wide outs on screen passes and slants. But as we say up here in Maine in the BLACK HOLE DEFENSE we trust.xnodx

UNI's FB Boothby is 6'0" 280. Our QB Grace is a FB that can throw at 6'2" 230-235 and actively looks to hit people (usually wins that matchup).

As for run defense, we played Western ILL Herb Donaldson (leading rusher in FCS per NCAA). He averages 162 y/game. We kept him to 116 yards. BTW - W ILL total yards minus Herb was 97.

I like our chances against the run. Bring it on.

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm guessing that was more superstition than physics there, bud.

Depends how low you wanted the roof to get...

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I hope your team thinks as little about the Panthers and the MVC as you do. Because I guarantee they lose by three touchdowns if they think they can walk into the dome and just waltz outta there with a win. I foresee a very hard fought smashmouth game which is what the MVC is week in week out. Smashmouth for the CAA is quite a different story than it is for us big midwestern boys. I think it should be close, but if you can't pass the ball you won't win.

Maine will throw the ball on Saturday. They might throw it more then usual. I can see them throwing the ball to their very talented running backs out of the backfield and letting them go one-on-one with UNI's LB's and DB's. Oh what a painful experience it will be to see one of those small UNI DB's coming up to tackle the human pancake machine that is Jared Turcotte.xoopsx

For the record I don't think this will be an easy game but many UNI fans on here think playing Maine is like getting a bye. I hope your team thinks the same thing. If they do think that way they will get theBYE they really want next week.xlolx

Maine is a very solid road team. Their only losses this season on the road were at the University of Iowa, and Richmond.xeyebrowx

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
The team and coaching staff is far from taking Maine lightly. This is our 7th playoff game in three years. Our 4th CAA game. We should be an associate CAA member.

Maine's season begins and ends in Iowa.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
One big glaring weakness that Maine does have and won't fix this season. Horrible special teams play. They have the worst place kicker in the nation I do believe. Well maybe not the worst unless you take out the Cal Poly kicker. Maine's kick off coverage has been up and down all season. They do have have some potential game breakers on their kick and punt return teams, but they also turn the ball over way to much on special teams.

Finally, like most Jack Cosgrove Coached teams they are prone to making very bad decisions at the most horrible times. Take last week for example. Maine ran an option play against UNh and a TD was called back on holding call. Need I say more. Generally Cosgrove Coached teams lack discipline at very key moments in games.

That's going to cost you field-position battle at least, if not direct points, not good for smash-mouth.xsmhx

Houndawg
November 26th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Maine will throw the ball on Saturday. They might throw it more then usual. I can see them throwing the ball to their very talented running backs out of the backfield and letting them go one-on-one with UNI's LB's and DB's. Oh what a painful experience it will be to see one of those small UNI DB's coming up to tackle the human pancake machine that is Jared Turcotte.xoopsx

For the record I don't think this will be an easy game but many UNI fans on here think playing Maine is like getting a bye. I hope your team thinks the same thing. If they do think that way they will get theBYE they really want next week.xlolx

Maine is a very solid road team. Their only losses this season on the road were at the University of Iowa, and Richmond.xeyebrowx

They better throw it often, and well.xnodx

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
UNI's FB Boothby is 6'0" 280. Our QB Grace is a FB that can throw at 6'2" 230-235 and actively looks to hit people (usually wins that matchup).

As for run defense, we played Western ILL Herb Donaldson (leading rusher in FCS per NCAA). He averages 162 y/game. We kept him to 116 yards. BTW - W ILL total yards minus Herb was 97.

I've seen Herb Donaldson and he's a solid back. But he's no Jhamal Fluellen when Jhamal is 100%. Here is another difference. Fluellen will likely be playing on Sunday, someday. I'm not sure Mr. Donaldson will be. Let's also remember that a running game is only as good as the offensive line making the holes. Maine's O-line is pretty solid. You don't put up running stats like Maine has if you have cream puffs leading the way...

As I said before, remember this name because he'll have a great day if Maine gives him the ball. JARED TURCOTTE! Mr. Trucotte will run you over and then he'll stomp a mud hole in your gut as he seeks out his next victim to run over....xsmhx I predict many Panther defensive players will taking the Jared Turcotte taxi service on Saturday whether they want to or not!xrulesx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Was this UNH fan talking about saturdays game or the season in general?

UNI Pike
November 26th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Interesting - not knowing what bearing this has, but here is some info.

Eyeballing the OL & DL for both teams. Averages are probably a bit low, as starters are usually bigger than underclassman / backups

Maine DL ave around 250 lb
UNI OL ave around 295 lb

Maine OL ave around 280 lb
UNI DL ave around 280 lb

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Was this UNH fan talking about saturdays game or the season in general?

I think the whole season because all the players looked like little boys in the snow last weekend.xlolx Maine's running backs looked like they were tip toeing through the tulips last week. It must have been difficult to run the ball at times last Saturday.

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Interesting - not knowing what bearing this has, but here is some info.

Eyeballing the OL & DL for both teams. Averages are probably a bit low, as starters are usually bigger than underclassman / backups

Maine DL ave around 250 lb
UNI OL ave around 295 lb

Maine OL ave around 280 lb
UNI DL ave around 280 lb

Maine's starting OL
LT- Eastman, 6'6" 315
LG- Barber, 6'6" 278 (3rd Team All CAA)
C- Canary, 6'2" 276 (1st Team All CAA)
RG- Shea, 6'4" 277
RT- Arnao, 6'7" 305

Maine's DL is very undersized and their average is about 235-245. Their DE's are very good as UNI is very aware of I'm sure. One of them is the CAA Defensive Player of the Year.MR. BELCHER, IS THE MANxbowx

joecooll6
November 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
The dome is usually kind to run games, but more kind to passing games.

Houndawg
November 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Maine's starting OL
LT- Eastman, 6'6" 315
LG- Barber, 6'6" 278 (3rd Team All CAA)
C- Canary, 6'2" 276 (1st Team All CAA)
RG- Shea, 6'4" 277
RT- Arnao, 6'7" 305

Maine's DL is very undersized and their average is about 235-245. Their DE's are very good as UNI is very aware of I'm sure. One of them is the CAA Defensive Player of the Year.MR. BELCHER, IS THE MANxbowx

You haven't really beaten anyone significant but a collapsing UMass team, your schedule in conference avoided some tough CAA South teams, and your OOC was not very impressive. UNI is not Iona, and if you struggled with Monmouth, which I think you did, you're going to come out of the dome looking like you were trying to jack off a bobcat in a briar patch.xnodx

JayJ79
November 26th, 2008, 08:57 PM
One big glaring weakness that Maine does have and won't fix this season. Horrible special teams play. They have the worst place kicker in the nation I do believe. Well maybe not the worst unless you take out the Cal Poly kicker. Maine's kick off coverage has been up and down all season.

So has UNI's, to tell you the truth. 'Tis been our worst weakness, IMO, giving up too many yards on the kickoff return. Though they have seemed better of late.

Could be a rather interesting game on that front for both teams.

GoBlackBears
November 27th, 2008, 08:03 AM
You haven't really beaten anyone significant but a collapsing UMass team, your schedule in conference avoided some tough CAA South teams, and your OOC was not very impressive. UNI is not Iona, and if you struggled with Monmouth, which I think you did, you're going to come out of the dome looking like you were trying to jack off a bobcat in a briar patch.xnodx

Point #1- UMass at the time had the same record as Maine did and that game was basically a playoff game. The loser was likely out of the post-season and as we now know it turned out that way.

Point #2- Maine played JMU, Richmond and Delaware out of the Southern portion of the CAA. Maine's schedule flips every two years. Next year Maine plays @ William and Mary, and home against Delaware and Richmond.

Point #3- When Maine played Delaware they were nationally ranked and Maine took them out behind the woodshed @ Delaware. Beating the Blue Hens in front of 20,000 fans is a big deal! That win likely changed Maine's season around.

Point #4- Monmouth is a solid program and Maine was coming off a 46-3 butt kicking at the hands of Iowa Hawkeyes. For them to beat a program that played for a national title just two years ago is a nice win. And did mention that game was on the road as well.

Point #5- UNI will be the overwhelming favorites on Saturday. They should be by the way. Their defense is the greatest defense to ever play I-AA (FCS) football.xbowx Even with all this I like the Black-Bears chances because they have absolutely nothing to lose. 90% of the college football world didn't think they earned the bid they got, and to make matters worse they are playing the unbeatable UNI Panthers. Heck, Maine should just save the NCAA the money for the trip and forfeit the game to UNI.

Point #6- This is what UNI fans will be doing Saturday night. How did this happen.xconfusedx We lost to a team who didn't deserve to be in the field.:( What do we do now?xbawlingx

GoBlackBears
November 27th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, UNI and Black-Bear fans!

GoBlackBears
November 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM

UNI Pike, I'm not questioning you here, but when I looked on the UNI web-site and went under their stats I didn't see a player with the last name Boothby? Is he really on the roster? If he is he didn't have any stats for the season. Now if your FB is 280lbs, then that is impressive. However, according to the UNI web-site no such player exsists. So I think Maine has a clear advantage at the Fullback spot with a FB that has rushed for over 700 yards this season and caught the ball for over 200 yards this season.

As for your big QB, I think Maine's QB is similiar in size but likely doesn't throw the ball as well. Was Grace your starting QB all season? I thought I read that your starting QB was injured and Grace took over for him? Mike Brusco was not the starting QB for Maine either. Maine's QB was injured mid way through the season and Brusco moved from wide receiver to QB. That's also when Maine became a 75% running team.

Uncle Buck
November 27th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I'll be rooting for Maine, but it'll be tough to win in the dome on the road.

Houndawg
November 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
UNI Pike, I'm not questioning you here, but when I looked on the UNI web-site and went under their stats I didn't see a player with the last name Boothby? Is he really on the roster? If he is he didn't have any stats for the season. Now if your FB is 280lbs, then that is impressive. However, according to the UNI web-site no such player exsists. So I think Maine has a clear advantage at the Fullback spot with a FB that has rushed for over 700 yards this season and caught the ball for over 200 yards this season.

As for your big QB, I think Maine's QB is similiar in size but likely doesn't throw the ball as well. Was Grace your starting QB all season? I thought I read that your starting QB was injured and Grace took over for him? Mike Brusco was not the starting QB for Maine either. Maine's QB was injured mid way through the season and Brusco moved from wide receiver to QB. That's also when Maine became a 75% running team.

And therein lies the problem, BB, how do you keep UNI from stacking the box? Now, you never know what will happen in a playoff game, and one thing I've noticed is that teams that are regulars in playoffs sometimes struggle in the first round. But, UNI stopped the running games of WIU, NDSU, and SIU; I don't see your backfield and o-line as significantly better than Herb Donaldson, Tyler Roehl, Larry Warner, and their o-lines.

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I don't think this is a good matchup for Maine, but I also wouldn't put it past them to pull the upset off. Unless it's late in the game, Brusko just isn't going to make a risky throw that results in a turnover. Maine can reel out four useful RB's in addition to Brusko running the ball himself, and their defense, especially with how fast they can move on that field surface, will absolutely be competitive.

A big play-action fake would result in some potential scoring and big plays, but I don't see Maine not being close in this one, by default. I think pretty much everyone is similar after JMU, Appy and maybe CP.

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM
For the record I don't think this will be an easy game but many UNI fans on here think playing Maine is like getting a bye.

Every comment I've seen is that it will be a tough game, but if Maine can't pass, they'll lose. xconfusedx

clenz
November 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Your run game will do you has much good as it did for you against Iowa. Even if God does allow you to run, your passing game will be about as effective as NDSU's.

haha

clenz
November 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM
And you might want to look harder to find Ben Boothby.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/boothby_ben00.html

Monarch History
November 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM
UNI dominates the Maine Black Bears in the Dome. UNI 28 - Maine 14.

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Maine can pass the ball, but they won't force it. Brusko will continually take the underneath route for 4 or 5 yards. He's not going to take gambles. Maine will have to execute perfectly, but since I don't see a ton of difference between UNH, UNI and SIU, if Maine was within 4 of UNH with a late TD deciding the game, I don't see any reason why UNI wouldn't be similar, considering they are less passing efficient than UNH, and Maine is pretty stout on defense.

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I just like the idea that he thinks their backs with bowl our D over. BYU didn't do that, and that have a WAY stronger OLine and backfield.

clenz
November 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Maine can pass the ball, but they won't force it. Brusko will continually take the underneath route for 4 or 5 yards. He's not going to take gambles. Maine will have to execute perfectly, but since I don't see a ton of difference between UNH, UNI and SIU, if Maine was within 4 of UNH with a late TD deciding the game, I don't see any reason why UNI wouldn't be similar, considering they are less passing efficient than UNH, and Maine is pretty stout on defense.I'm not so sure about that. The efficientcy of UNH is 165 and UNI is 148. Judging from the stats the reason that UNH is higher is due to more TD's. If UNI would pass for more TD's in the redzone instead of running it in all the time, I would bet that UNI would have a higher rating.

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
UNI has 2 D-lineman this year that will likely make NFL rosters....Maine will need to account for them

James Ruffin will cause problems
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/ruffin_james00.html
His stats are just as good as your DEs.....but for whatever reason not a Buchanan candidate.

BIG E, he is huge and typically Bigger than the Oline he goes against and a MUCH BETTER athlete
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pedescleaux_everette00.html

Mountain Panther
November 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
And you might want to look harder to find Ben Boothby.

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/boothby_ben00.html

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/niwa/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/2002721.jpeghttp://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:RIYx9kgWwNwJ::http://havanta.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/side-show-bob.jpg

Mountain Panther
November 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Point #5- UNI will be the overwhelming favorites on Saturday. They should be by the way. Their defense is the greatest defense to ever play I-AA (FCS) football.xbowx 90% of the college football world didn't think they earned the bid they got, and to make matters worse they are playing the unbeatable UNI Panthers. Heck, Maine should just save the NCAA the money for the trip and forfeit the game to UNI.

C'mon dude, quit the "woah is me" BS. It's the playoffs, EVERYONE is good. The selection committee is questionable at times but they generally do not let BAD teams in the playoffs.

Here's to a good, injury-free game on Saturday for both sides.

JayJ79
November 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Was Grace your starting QB all season? I thought I read that your starting QB was injured and Grace took over for him?

Grace was our starter at the beginning of the season. He got knocked out of the BYU game midway through, but came back to start the next 6 games (USD, SDSU, @SIU, Nicholls State, Illinois St., NDSU, but he suffered a knee injury in the North Dakota State game.

Zach Davis took over as starter for the next two games (@YSU, @WIU). Grace started for the Missouri State game, then Davis started @ Indiana State, and Grace started @SUU.

Both quarterbacks are pretty much equally as good, IMO.

Mountain Panther
November 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Grace was our starter at the beginning of the season. He got knocked out of the BYU game midway through, but came back to start the next 6 games (USD, SDSU, @SIU, Nicholls State, Illinois St., NDSU, but he suffered a knee injury in the North Dakota State game.

Zach Davis took over as starter for the next two games (@YSU, @WIU). Grace started for the Missouri State game, then Davis started @ Indiana State, and Grace started @SUU.

Both quarterbacks are pretty much equally as good, IMO.

Our backup QB is 3-0 as a starter this year.

Houndawg
November 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
How many teams does the MVC have in the playoffs?

Which conference has one of their ADs in charge of the selection committee?

GoBlackBears
November 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Which conference has one of their ADs in charge of the selection committee?

I'm sure the UMass AD didn't pick five CAA teams to be in the NCAA playoffs. Hence the word COMMITTEE. The MVC conference got the amount of teams they deserved to get into the field. If not for some automatic bids the CAA likely would have six teams in the post-season.xnodx

Houndawg
November 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm sure the UMass AD didn't pick five CAA teams to be in the NCAA playoffs. Hence the word COMMITTEE. The MVC conference got the amount of teams they deserved to get into the field. If not for some automatic bids the CAA likely would have six teams in the post-season.xnodx

Liberty was woofed. xnodx

UNIFanSince1983
November 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The one thing that does worry me is that Maine's running back rushed for over 100 yards on Iowa and is the only runner this year to do that. Now having not seen that game I don't know how many of those were against Iowa's starters, but that is still impressive.

I don't think UNI fans should be taking any team lightly in the first round out of the CAA after what New Hampshire almost did to us last year. Especially since it looks like we got the last team in two years in a row.

TCisMYhero
November 27th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The one thing that does worry me is that Maine's running back rushed for over 100 yards on Iowa and is the only runner this year to do that. Now having not seen that game I don't know how many of those were against Iowa's starters, but that is still impressive.

I don't think UNI fans should be taking any team lightly in the first round out of the CAA after what New Hampshire almost did to us last year. Especially since it looks like we got the last team in two years in a row.

No Santos, and their running back gained 100 on 2nd and 3rd stringers. Great.

GoBlackBears
November 28th, 2008, 04:30 AM
No Santos, and their running back gained 100 on 2nd and 3rd stringers. Great.

Good morning UNI fans. I see the truth has alluded you again. Iowa played their first defensive unit for 3 and 1/2 quarters. I believe Jhamal Fluellen rushed for 101 yards in the first three quarters of that game. Shortly after that Iowa game Jhamal was hurt and hasn't become Maine's full time tailback until recently. Now that it appears he is 100% maybe he'll have another 100 yard rushing day in the state of Iowa and his team might have a different result?xpopcornx

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
let's go black bears

Houndawg
November 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Good morning UNI fans. I see the truth has alluded you again. Iowa played their first defensive unit for 3 and 1/2 quarters. I believe Jhamal Fluellen rushed for 101 yards in the first three quarters of that game. Shortly after that Iowa game Jhamal was hurt and hasn't become Maine's full time tailback until recently. Now that it appears he is 100% maybe he'll have another 100 yard rushing day in the state of Iowa and his team might have a different result?xpopcornx

:D And what was the truth hinting at?

If you rush for 100 yards on UNI you have done something notable, but you're going to need 200 yards if you can't throw enough to back their safetys off...

GoBlackBears
November 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
:D And what was the truth hinting at?

If you rush for 100 yards on UNI you have done something notable, but you're going to need 200 yards if you can't throw enough to back their safetys off...

Maine will get the 200 yards rushing you say they need. Jared Turcotte, the pancake maker,xoopsx will get half of the 200 yards needed. Then UNI will bring those safeties up to help stop the run and Maine will then throw over the top. I predict there will be a lot of this happening to the Panthers on Saturday...xasswhipx

Houndawg
November 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Maine will get the 200 yards rushing you say they need. Jared Turcotte, the pancake maker,xoopsx will get half of the 200 yards needed. Then UNI will bring those safeties up to help stop the run and Maine will then throw over the top. I predict there will be a lot of this happening to the Panthers on Saturday...xasswhipx

I sure hope you're right, because if you win and we win we get another home game. Your prediction of 200 yards rushing is noted, good luck.

Pantherpower
November 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Wow, 200 yards you say? I'm trying to remember when, if ever, that has happened against a UNI defense. Nice that you have Pfleum, Spit, Snot, whatever his name is back at 100%. I want to see the Panthers take out Maine when the Black Bears are at full strength. Somehow, after that I get the sense that we won't see many posts from you again until the Black Bears reach the playoffs in 2014 or so.

JayJ79
November 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Wow, 200 yards you say? I'm trying to remember when, if ever, that has happened against a UNI defense.

In the past two seasons, of the 25 opponents we've faced,

only 1 team has gotten over 200 yards on the ground, and that was Nicholls State with their crazy triple option or whatever (a game we played on a Thursday night, so a short week of practice after a major conference game for us, having just played at SIU).

on the flipside, of those same 25 teams, 14 of them have been held under 100 yards rushing for the game.

UNIFanSince1983
November 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I think those are some pretty telling stats right there JayJ

clenz
November 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM
In the past two seasons, of the 25 opponents we've faced,

only 1 team has gotten over 200 yards on the ground, and that was Nicholls State with their crazy triple option or whatever (a game we played on a Thursday night, so a short week of practice after a major conference game for us, having just played at SIU).

on the flipside, of those same 25 teams, 14 of them have been held under 100 yards rushing for the game.xoutofrepx

TCisMYhero
November 28th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Maine fans, let me be the first to urge you to visit the fine establishment called Crapsville on the smack board following Saturday's game.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 28th, 2008, 11:06 AM

That was the general concensus last year when UNH was the last team to make the field. Except for a circus helmet-assisted catch with about 17 seconds left, it would not have worked out for the home team that afternoon, ... And, Maine is immensely better on defense and Turcotte is a load at TB. 17-14, Black Bears

clenz
November 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Maine won't lose because of the dome. From the sound of it, not many will be there tomorrow, so if it is because of the dome it will be because UNI rarely loses in the dome, not because fan noise caused problems for Maine

Houndawg
November 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
That was the general concensus last year when UNH was the last team to make the field. Except for a circus helmet-assisted catch with about 17 seconds left, it would not have worked out for the home team that afternoon, ... And, Maine is immensely better on defense and Turcotte is a load at TB. 17-14, Black Bears

The difference being that UNH had a passing game.xnodx

unigriff
November 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
You also have to remember, Maines back Chewbacca was running against Iowa the first game of the year against an Iowa team, I personally didn't think would win 4 games. But it was the FIRST game of the year, like many teams defenses are not top notch yet. Iowa's run game got better every game.

If Chewy could run for over 100 on Iowa, he should have easily run over 150-200 a game before the injury and now. No one runs on the almighty Hawkeyes.

As a coach, Maine has a fair and equal chance as anyone, but as a coach who scouts, you better pray your back breaks our Defenses ankles running the ball, and you pass for 150-200 yards otherwise it will be a tough way to end the season.

Best of luck!

GoBlackBears
November 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
You also have to remember, Maines back Chewbacca was running against Iowa the first game of the year against an Iowa team, I personally didn't think would win 4 games. But it was the FIRST game of the year, like many teams defenses are not top notch yet. Iowa's run game got better every game.

If Chewy could run for over 100 on Iowa, he should have easily run over 150-200 a game before the injury and now. No one runs on the almighty Hawkeyes.

As a coach, Maine has a fair and equal chance as anyone, but as a coach who scouts, you better pray your back breaks our Defenses ankles running the ball, and you pass for 150-200 yards otherwise it will be a tough way to end the season.

Best of luck!

The name of Maine's great senior tailback is Jhamal Fluellen. He just recently got back to full strength and I'm guessing that if he had been 100% for the entire season that Maine might have upset JMU at home. His injury did allow Maine to build some much needed deepth at the tailback spot.

I also think it's possible for Maine to pass for the yardage you said of 150-200 yards. What Maine might do a lot on Saturday is pass in obvious running downs. If they are even a little successful at running the ball early that could set up the pay action pass against this very talented and aggressive UNI defense.

To qoute Maine Coach Jack Cosgrove from an article in the BDN, "We'll have to play a great football game this weekend. UNI will be best defensive football team we will have played to date." That's it I'll have change my prediction. UNI 70 Maine 3....xlolx. Cozzy is sandbagging again I see!

Nah, never mind. I'll stick with my original prediction. Maine 24 UNI 14. xsmoochx

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Good Luck, safe travels. Hope you have been practicing in a Sauna this week....gonna be steamy.....xthumbsupx

GoBlackBears
November 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Wow, 200 yards you say? I'm trying to remember when, if ever, that has happened against a UNI defense. Nice that you have Pfleum, Spit, Snot, whatever his name is back at 100%. I want to see the Panthers take out Maine when the Black Bears are at full strength. Somehow, after that I get the sense that we won't see many posts from you again until the Black Bears reach the playoffs in 2014 or so.

You won't get off that easy. If UNI wins I will congratulate you and the rest of the UNI fans. I will also continue to post because I love playoff football.

The next time Maine will reach the playoffs won't be until 2014? OUCH that smarts.xrotatehx JHAMAL FLUELLEN! That is Maine tailback who's name you got badly incorrect.

Houndawg
November 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM
The name of Maine's great senior tailback is Jhamal Fluellen. He just recently got back to full strength and I'm guessing that if he had been 100% for the entire season that Maine might have upset JMU at home. His injury did allow Maine to build some much needed deepth at the tailback spot.

I also think it's possible for Maine to pass for the yardage you said of 150-200 yards. What Maine might do a lot on Saturday is pass in obvious running downs. If they are even a little successful at running the ball early that could set up the pay action pass against this very talented and aggressive UNI defense.

To qoute Maine Coach Jack Cosgrove from an article in the BDN, "We'll have to play a great football game this weekend. UNI will be best defensive football team we will have played to date." That's it I'll have change my prediction. UNI 70 Maine 3....xlolx. Cozzy is sandbagging again I see!

Nah, never mind. I'll stick with my original prediction. Maine 24 UNI 14. xsmoochx

No "might" about it, they have no chance if they can't.xnodx

UNI Pike
November 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Maine's starting OL
LT- Eastman, 6'6" 315 DL - #98 Chuck Kinney, 6'3" 275
LG- Barber, 6'6" 278 (3rd Team All CAA) DL - #44 James Ruffin 6'4" 265
C- Canary, 6'2" 276 (1st Team All CAA) DL - #95 Everette Pedescleaux 6'6" 305
RG- Shea, 6'4" 277 DL - #93 Wes Lane 6'4" 290
RT- Arnao, 6'7" 305

I have listed the probable DL starters, as we rotate 7-8 players regularly. Panther fans, please correct as is warranted. I am certain that I have some of them misplaced. I think that we typically play four DL, am I remembering that correctly?

crunifan
November 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Any Maine fans making their way out to Cedar Falls?

TCisMYhero
November 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I have listed the probable DL starters, as we rotate 7-8 players regularly. Panther fans, please correct as is warranted. I am certain that I have some of them misplaced. I think that we typically play four DL, am I remembering that correctly?

You can throw in Mark Huygens, pre-season All-American, 2nd team AA '07, finally healthy after shoulder problems early in the season. He is rotating back in, and playing like the Huygens we've come to know over the past 4 years.

crunifan
November 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone worried about attendance? I have heard that because of the holiday weekend, they are only expecting 9k-10k.

JayJ79
November 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Anyone worried about attendance? I have heard that because of the holiday weekend, they are only expecting 9k-10k.

We've always had trouble getting a crowd during thanksgiving weekend.

First round attendance for games at UNI

1985 E. Washington 6220
1987 Youngstown St. 3887
1991 Weber State 8723
1992 E. Washington 13149
1996 Eastern Illinois 10402
2003 Montana State 10165
2005 E. Washington 7746
2007 New Hampshire 16100

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Belcher and Ruffin cancel out....both are studs...I however doubt Maine has seen a Dline likes ours....outside of the Squakeyes....

clenz
November 28th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I've been hearing 7-8K

However, the next week assuming we win, will be sell out. UNH or SIU will be a huge game in the Cedar Valley

clenz
November 28th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Belcher and Ruffin cancel out....both are studs...I however doubt Maine has seen a Dline likes ours....outside of the Squakeyes....

Belcher must be NFL material then? I have yet to see any OL that cancels Ruffin out in the FCS

Henny
November 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM
To all Maine fans, The "Dome noise" may bother the team for the first few minutes, then all these threats about how Maine will be intimidated is flat out non-sense. UNI does have a solid run defense and is very formidable, however this game is a toss up.

clenz
November 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
To all Maine fans, The "Dome noise" may bother the team for the first few minutes, then all these threats about how Maine will be intimidated is flat out non-sense. UNI does have a solid run defense and is very formidable, however this game is a toss up.
The dome noise got to Flacco last year, sadly our 3rd down pass defense did not.

PantherRob82
November 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I don't know about that. A lot of teams run drills in a gym with piped in sound to prepare. A lot of them, even after preparing, have a lot of issues with the playclock running out and false starts.

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM

If Maine has a first round QB, then maine might be lucky enough to score a defensive TD and win also....

PS I hope you didn't watch that game on TV and you actually attended....

Henny
November 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
The dimensions of the field are the same. Maine will handle the noise. Keep up the talk about you team. Some of the guys mentioned in the thread are studs. UNI has a great team, Maine will primarily have to deal with them.

Henny
November 28th, 2008, 07:18 PM
If Maine has a first round QB, then maine might be lucky enough to score a defensive TD and win also....

PS I hope you didn't watch that game on TV and you actually attended....

cut me a break Im a UD fan all the way, however I wont physically go to Cedar Falls in December when the game is on TV here.

Try the old Vet. stadium in Philly. at ground level.

End of the "noise conversation"

UNIFanSince1983
November 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
There will not be nearly as many people to make any noise this weekend. Last year for Delaware in a blizzard there were 15,000+, but this weekend we will be lucky to get 10k in the dome.

Chi Panther
November 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
cut me a break Im a UD fan all the way, however I wont physically go to Cedar Falls in December when the game is on TV here.

Point being if you didn't attend, you don't really appreciate what Joe actually overcame. I was impressed with the UNI atmosphere....but even more impressed with Joe's levelness.

Remember KC did say that was the best FCS/I-AA team he/delaware EVER beat.

Blue42
November 28th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I believe Jhamal Fluellen rushed for 101 yards in the first three quarters of that game.

Maine score 3 points in the Iowa game...3. A single paltry field goal.

I don't care how many yards he ran for. He obviously didn't run for a lot in the red zone. His yards didn't convert to points. They didn't make for a competitive game.

JMinU
November 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
uni 36 maine 21

Woody Hayes
November 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM
The dimensions of the field are the same. Maine will handle the noise. Keep up the talk about you team. Some of the guys mentioned in the thread are studs. UNI has a great team, Maine will primarily have to deal with them.

That was profound man. Put down the bong!

UNI Pike
November 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Aaah yes, the sounds of the Vet - Santa Claus being booed, people yelling "let me out of jail" and the sound of D-Cells bouncing off of JD Drew's head. So many family memories....

Henny
November 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
OK shake your keys and lets see what happens (oh by the way what a gaye thing to do)!

Henny
November 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM
tough talk from a team that was schredded last year! UD sent players home crying. It that what you want this year to !

Syntax Error
November 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I would be surprised if Maine is real close in this game.

ValleyChamp
November 29th, 2008, 01:46 AM
tough talk from a team that was schredded last year! UD sent players home crying. It that what you want this year to !

And now UD players are.....well, just home....

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 04:52 AM
And now UD players are.....well, just home....

Delaware is only home because they didn't play in the Gateway Conference, i.e. the Missouri Valley Conference.xnodx

Let's see, only two teams in from the Gateway and remind me how many from the CAA, again? FIVE.xprost2x

Houndawg
November 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Delaware is only home because they didn't play in the Gateway Conference, i.e. the Missouri Valley Conference.xnodx

Let's see, only two teams in from the Gateway and remind me how many from the CAA, again? FIVE.xprost2x

Two years with UMass' AD in charge of the selection committee, 10 playoff bids, zero National Championships. xwhistlex So sad.

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Two years with UMass' AD in charge of the selection committee, 10 playoff bids, zero National Championships. xwhistlex So sad.

The CAA might have had two national titles if not for Appalachian State.

The CAA will get the job done this season with either JMU, Richmond or Villinova! The Mountaineers reign of terror is over.xsmileyclapx

If memory serves hasn't the CAA won a couple of National titles in the past 5 years? Didn't Delaware and JMU win national titles? When was the last time a Missouri Valley program won a national title? Was it Youngstown State perhaps? Aren't they the same program who is trying to leave the MVC for the MAC?xnodx

Houndawg
November 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM

The CAA will get the job done this season with either JMU, Richmond or Villinova! The Mountaineers reign of terror is over.xsmileyclapx

If memory serves hasn't the CAA won a couple of National titles in the past 5 years? Didn't Delaware and JMU win national titles? When was the last time a Missouri Valley program won a national title? Was it Youngstown State perhaps? Aren't they the same program who is trying to leave the MVC for the MAC?xnodx

(elbows GBB to let him know the punch line is coming) Then again, they might not have.xlmaox

Not sure about the last five years, but if so, it must have been the other CAA, the ones that beat you like a snare drum.xcoffeex

clenz
November 29th, 2008, 09:31 AM
IT'S GAMEDAY!!!!!!!!!

Here is to a great, injury free UNI victory.:D

Let's turn them Black Bears into Black and Blue Bears.....sorry couldn't resist

Khan4Cats
November 29th, 2008, 09:50 AM
If UNI turns the ball over 3 or more times it will be a close game. If UNI turns it over 2 times or less, UNI wins. I don't see Maine scoring more than 2 TD's without turnover help on our part.

I am not predicting a score because UNI has not been one to light up the scoreboard. The final margin of victory may not be that great because of that. Of course, I could be wrong and a healthy UNI offense plays like it has nothing to lose and lets loose today, too.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well in 2005 UNI would have won the National Championship if it wasn't for App State either. And actually the last MVC team to win the championship was Western Kentucky in 2002.

I can't wait for the game today. Excited to see it play out! Don't know if I can wait till 4 though!!

crunifan
November 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Western Kentucky won the title in 2002.

And UNI was runner-up in 2005.

It's seems to me the Black Bears are living through their conference mates. Then again, one would have to if they only make the playoffs a couple times a decade.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Beat ya to it xpeacex

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 10:57 AM

YAWN....why can't all UD fans be like 89hen and 93henfan???

xcoffeex

Mountain Panther
November 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Might have something to do with the fact that the CAA has 12 teams, more than any other conference.

I think you may find out tonight why you were the last team in.

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Might have something to do with the fact that the CAA has 12 teams, more than any other conference.

I think you may find out tonight why you were the last team in.

xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx

xboringx xboringx xboringx xboringx

Khan4Cats
November 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Winter weather starting to set in.

Time for Bears to begin their hibernation.

Panthers start their prowl.

GoBlackBears
November 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Don't look now but the CAA is winning big in two playoff games and the #1 seed is winning but having a tough struggle with Wofford.

UNH is currently winning a field goal battle with SIU, but that is still tight. It's possible that before Maine and UNI even kickoff today that four CAA teams will have already won. Which conference deserved five teams? It looks like the committee might have gotten it right.

The ball could be in your court Black-Bears... You could be the final CAA playoff team to finish a weekend sweep!

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2008, 07:37 PM
xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx

xboringx xboringx xboringx xboringx

what were you saying? xrulesx

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Rob, I've got to spread some rep around before I give it to you again, so here's to a hilarious smack victory, as well as a Panther victory last weekend.

nutterlyattled
December 2nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
so i think uni will win this one ;)

TCisMYhero
December 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I voted for Maine today.