PDA

View Full Version : Laycock comments on Maine selection.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I have to share our coach's reaction to the selection. While none of us in the Tribe family thought we had much of a chance, the selection of Maine over us makes little sense.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_wandm_1124nov24,0,7507841.story

spdram
November 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Sorry the Tribe didn't get in, knew it was a long shot but the way this team improved over the season they would have been a tough out for most teams. Congrats on a great season.

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I agree that it baffles me. LU feels the same as W and M when it comes to that first section of the article. It's not that bad that we didn't get in. It's WHO got in instead of us.

Once the new GPI came out, I KNEW LU was done. The computers didn't give us any love, so all our numbers were weaksauce. But W and M was 10th. TENTH! They beat playoff bound UNH and were a different overtime result from beating playoff bound Richmond.

So, if losing to JMU by 20 was the reason they were kept out, then clearly, here's what teams need to do to insure playoff berths...

-Schedule really good teams.
-If you don't win, in garbage time, run a hurry up 2 minute offense to make the score as close as possible. Use timeouts, out of bounds routes, and spiked balls to ensure a close margin of victory
-Join the CAA North. Clearly being 2nd in the North is good enough to make it in, regardless of resume.

My heart goes out to the Tribe. They should be prepping for a playoff game right now. Maybe LU and W and M can play a "bowl game"? Would be pretty fun if you ask me.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Sorry the Tribe didn't get in, knew it was a long shot but the way this team improved over the season they would have been a tough out for most teams. Congrats on a great season.

Thanks. I'll be in Richmond this week to cheer on the Spiders.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Wasn't everyone, including Laycock, saying W&M needed to win 1 of their last 2 to get in?

They didn't.

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
William and Mary: Who needs sex when you get screwed by the Selection Committee?

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Wasn't everyone, including Laycock, saying W&M needed to win 1 of their last 2 to get in?

They didn't.

Read the article. It wasn't being left out, it was who was taken instead. A fifth CAA team should have been the Tribe.

ccd494
November 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Blame your conference:

"Cosgrove explained the CAA actually went to bat for UMaine, lobbying for the Bears as the fifth team rather than trying to make a case for both UMaine and William & Mary.

“What it speaks to is our conference. Look at the power index,” Cosgrove said of the nation’s top-rated FCS league, which also put five teams in the field last year, including a 7-4 New Hampshire squad. “In Gridiron Power Index, we’re fifth in the conference and 12th in the country.”

William & Mary was sixth and 14th, respectively, he said."

http://bangornews.com/detail/93891.html

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'm a little surprised by the depth Laycock's comments - that "how does beating Iona count as a win?" bit in particular - although his disappointment is understandable. At 4 losses he knew he was at the mercy of the committee and was on the bubble with a bunch of 4-loss and 3-loss (and 2- and even 1- loss teams like Liberty and Prairie View) teams that had a variety of compelling reasons to be the last at-large team.

Put another way, if the Tribe couldn't beat playoff teams like Richmond and JMU during the last 2 weeks, with the playoffs gtd with just 1 win, why should he get another bite at the apple next week?

tribe_pride
November 24th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Blame your conference:

"Cosgrove explained the CAA actually went to bat for UMaine, lobbying for the Bears as the fifth team rather than trying to make a case for both UMaine and William & Mary.

“What it speaks to is our conference. Look at the power index,” Cosgrove said of the nation’s top-rated FCS league, which also put five teams in the field last year, including a 7-4 New Hampshire squad. “In Gridiron Power Index, we’re fifth in the conference and 12th in the country.”

Well Cosgrove is wrong with what he said unless the below link is wrong.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53005

Maine was sixth and 12th but W&M was 5th and 10th. (in the modified form - whatever that is - this week's hasn't happened yet). According to last week's GPI, W&M was 5&12 and Maine was 6 and 14.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I'm a little surprised by the depth Laycock's comments - that "how does beating Iona count as a win?" bit in particular - although his disappointment is understandable. At 4 losses he knew he was at the mercy of the committee and was on the bubble with a bunch of 4-loss and 3-loss (and 2- and even 1- loss teams like Liberty and Prairie View) teams that had a variety of compelling reasons to be the last at-large team.

Put another way, if the Tribe couldn't beat playoff teams like Richmond and JMU during the last 2 weeks, with the playoffs gtd with just 1 win, why should he get another bite at the apple next week?

Seriously, what would people be doing if Mickey Matthews made the Iona comment?? (you know he would, too!)

ccd494
November 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Seriously, what would people be doing if Mickey Matthews made the Iona comment?? (you know he would, too!)

I want Matthews to comment again on conference teams not putting enough resources into their programs. Namely, some teams opting not to play the maximum allowable number of games.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I think people hold Laycock to a higher standard than MM when it comes to spouting off - not saying it's right, but just that that's the way it is...

WMTribe90
November 24th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Exactly, Laycock is the most reserved coach in the CAA, his comments show just how outrageous the Maine selection was.

WM long standing decision to not play a 12 game schedule has nothing to do with finances and Laycock has never insulted the level of comitment from the norhtern CAA programs, so give it a rest. If you really believe beating Iona earned you a spot in the playoffs over WM, who actually beat a ranked team, then more power to ya.

ccd494
November 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
WM long standing decision to not play a 12 game schedule has nothing to do with finances.

I think this is the crux of the argument here. William & Mary, prior to the start of the season, made an active decision to shoot themselves in the foot. And now that you need to run a 60 yard dash with one foot, there is no one to blame but WM "tradition."

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Blame your conference:

Not sure what Cosgrove is referring to, but here is the final modified GPI used by the committee.

ccd494
November 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Not sure what Cosgrove is referring to, but here is the final modified GPI used by the committee.

Yeah, I think the more telling part of the statement is the "CAA going to bat for Maine but not WM" thing. And the only reason I can think of for that is 8 wins vs. 7 wins. Or a nice 2010 parting gift. Either way.

To be honest, I think both Maine and WM are among the top 16 teams in the nation, and in a fair world teams like Colgate and SCSU would be enjoying their Thanksgivings at home.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I think the more telling part of the statement is the "CAA going to bat for Maine but not WM" thing. And the only reason I can think of for that is 8 wins vs. 7 wins. Or a nice 2010 parting gift. Either way.

To be honest, I think both Maine and WM are among the top 16 teams in the nation, and in a fair world teams like Colgate and SCSU would be enjoying their Thanksgivings at home.

My suspicion was that the UMass AD threw the Tribe under the bus, standing by the Northern Division when the chips were down. He had to ignore the fact that the Tribe beat UNH on the road...a team neither his Minutemen, or the Black Bears could beat.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Read the article. It wasn't being left out, it was who was taken instead. A fifth CAA team should have been the Tribe.

I read it. My point is once the coach goes on record as saying "we have to win at least one" and the team doesn't......it's tough to start setting new conditions.

"Win and we're in, otherwise we're out, unless it's Maine...." xconfusedx

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I read it. My point is once the coach goes on record as saying "we have to win at least one" and the team doesn't......it's tough to start setting new conditions.

He didn't set the new conditions, the committee did.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I think people hold Laycock to a higher standard than MM when it comes to spouting off - not saying it's right, but just that that's the way it is...

I agree he's held to a higher standard and more reserved (deservedly so), but shouldn't there be more of a comment if he's held to a higher standard? You expect it from Mickey, but not from Laycock.

The Iona comment, IMO, was a low blow. Does it matter if they don't play football now? It's an insult to the Iona players that were there when they played Maine to insinuate that the fact that they don't play football now means they were crap when they played. The two aren't connected. EDIT: But I can understand his frustration.

I agree with him overall, though. If you're going to put a 5th CAA team in, it ought to be the Tribe. To me, it's based entirely on the fact that the Tribe beat a playoff team and the Black Bears did not.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
The Iona comment, IMO, was a low blow. Does it matter if they don't play football now? It's an insult to the Iona players that were there when they played Maine to insinuate that the fact that they don't play football now means they were crap when they played. The two aren't connected. EDIT: But I can understand his frustration.

His point is well taken, whether sensitive, or not. Iona lost to Div. III Wesley, and was trounced in every FCS game they played.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
He didn't set the new conditions, the committee did.

xbangx Laycock made a statement. Now he wants a takeback. I like Jimmye, but seven D-1 wins wasn't enough this year. It was unlucky that the Tribe and Black Bears did not play head-to-head.

I can tell UR did W&M fans no emotional favors by playing their worst football in five years on Saturday. If the Spiders had just kept their foot on the gas, not gotten hosed by the clock officials in the first half, put in even an average special teams effort in the last 3 minutes and cruised to a double-digit win like they should have we wouldn't even be having this discussion. On the other hand, if they had completely tanked it and lost to W&M I'm fairly confident the Spiders, with 8 D-1 wins and lopsided defeats over Elon & Maine, would have been the last team in. An OT loss was the worst of both worlds for W&M.

PS I e-mailed Mike London and asked him if he's looking for a new Special Teams coach.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM

I see it as more saying we have to win at least one to "guarantee" a spot. Nothing can be done about it now. Everyone has to move on...but Me personally, I can't see the justification of choosing Maine over W&M. Everyone is so proud of our awesome "playoff" system and we have it right and the BCS has it wrong...but in reality...it's all about politics and money no matter what level we are at.

bainsey
November 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
The Iona comment, IMO, was a low blow. Does it matter if they don't play football now?
Of course not. I think Laycock's emotion outweighed his logic on that one.

That being said, there's one key factor that neither the article nor anyone here mentioned: W&M lost to Villanova.

Why does that matter? On ESPNU, one man stated that "quality losses" played a key, so let's break it down:

*Both Maine and W&M lost to JMU and Richmond. That's a wash.
*Maine lost to UNH; W&M lost to Villanova. UNH and Villanova are ranked similarly, so that's a wash, too.
*Maine lost to Iowa; W&M lost to NC State. It can be argued that Iowa is the stronger opponent, though I'm not sure now much that weighed.

And yes, Maine scheduled a 12th game against a recognized D-I opponent. That's 8-4 vs. 7-4, and with all else being equal, Maine has the edge.

Let' s not overlook the Tribe's loss to Villanova. That played a bigger role than many of you think.

tribe_pride
November 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
xbangx Laycock made a statement. Now he wants a takeback. I like Jimmye, but seven D-1 wins wasn't enough this year. It was unlucky that the Tribe and Black Bears did not play head-to-head.

I can tell UR did W&M fans no emotional favors by playing their worst football in five years on Saturday. If the Spiders had just kept their foot on the gas, not gotten hosed by the clock officials in the first half, put in even an average special teams effort in the last 3 minutes and cruised to a double-digit win like they should have we wouldn't even be having this discussion. On the other hand, if they had completely tanked it and lost to W&M I'm fairly confident the Spiders, with 8 D-1 wins and lopsided defeats over Elon & Maine, would have been the last team in. An OT loss was the worst of both worlds for W&M.

PS I e-mailed Mike London and asked him if he's looking for a new Special Teams coach.

Why don't you give W&M any credit for Saturday? All I have seen you say is that Richmond sucked. Well did you see Phillips. Richmond made a couple of good plays for turnovers but Phillips made passes without any pressure that he has not made all year (in a bad way) that led to easy INT's. I could have intercepted them. W&M's D stepped up and play well but it was not enough to overcome the poor WM offense in the first half.

Quit blaming this all on just poor play on Richmond's side. W&M D was good too.

Good luck to Richmond, Maine and all of the CAA this weekend.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM

That being said, there's one key factor that neither the article nor anyone here mentioned: W&M lost to Villanova.

Why does that matter? On ESPNU, one man stated that "quality losses" played a key, so let's break it down:

*Maine lost to UNH; W&M lost to Villanova. UNH and Villanova are ranked similarly, so that's a wash, too.
*Maine lost to Iowa; W&M lost to NC State. It can be argued that Iowa is the stronger opponent, though I'm not sure now much that weighed.

And yes, Maine scheduled a 12th game against a recognized D-I opponent. That's 8-4 vs. 7-4, and with all else being equal, Maine has the edge.

Let' s not overlook the Tribe's loss to Villanova. That played a bigger role than many of you think.
Except that Maine's version of the Nova game was an added CAA North team (over and above the 3 that W&M got), so in essence Maine had the easier schedule even with the added game. I think Laycock's arguing that that added game is Iona, which basically shouldn't count when it comes to picking playoff teams. So both teams are 7-4 (again, his reasoning), and so based on strength of schedule, W&M should be in over Maine.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM

What you overlook here is that W&M beat UNH. I can't find a way around that as the most telling comparison.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Maybe there's an unwritten "no more than two teams from one state" rule. Hence, no W&M or Liberty. :)

Seriously though. I know they took UR to overtime. But in their last two games, the Tribe looked horrible. Atrocious. UR was awful too. It was an ugly sloppy game. On an honest look at the game films Jimmye would say the same thing. I didn't see Maine's last two games but I imagine they looked the better team. There's no reason the committee can't watch recent film and conclude that W&M didn't belong in the playoffs, right?

Dukie95
November 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM

I think he, and the rest of the free world, assumed that Elon was going to beat Liberty. When Liberty beat Elon, that re-opened the door. If not for that surprise, none of the bubble talk we had all day Sunday would have even happened.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Maybe there's an unwritten "no more than two teams from one state" rule. Hence, no W&M or Liberty. :)

Seriously though. I know they took UR to overtime. But in their last two games, the Tribe looked horrible. Atrocious. UR was awful too. It was an ugly sloppy game. On an honest look at the game films Jimmye would say the same thing. I didn't see Maine's last two games but I imagine they looked the better team. There's no reason the committee can't watch recent film and conclude that W&M didn't belong in the playoffs, right?

Now you're stretching. If W&M doesn't belong in the playoffs, what does that say about your Spiders?xrolleyesx

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Why don't you give W&M any credit for Saturday? All I have seen you say is that Richmond sucked. Well did you see Phillips. Richmond made a couple of good plays for turnovers but Phillips made passes without any pressure that he has not made all year (in a bad way) that led to easy INT's. I could have intercepted them. W&M's D stepped up and play well but it was not enough to overcome the poor WM offense in the first half.

Quit blaming this all on just poor play on Richmond's side. W&M D was good too.

Good luck to Richmond, Maine and all of the CAA this weekend.

I'm sorry but it's true. I'm not bashing W&M and yes I'll give their defense some kudos, I'm trying to put myself in the committee's shoes. It was a horrible game. My wife turned to me at halftime and said this one was in the bag, and I told her "no it's not - Richmond is playing awful." With a 20-0 lead.

If they had played a 28-24 back and forth game a la UNH-Maine, the committee might have thought differently.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Now you're stretching. If W&M doesn't belong in the playoffs, what does that say about your Spiders?xrolleyesx

It says that if we play like that again, we're done. But a 9-win CAA team is going to the playoffs no matter how they play their last game.

I freely admit UR lacks a killer instinct, and that's a big concern. Our 3 losses (even @ FBS UVa) and our OT game against W&M, we had a chance to put the games away. @ Villanova we had two red zone possessions in the first 10 minutes and came away with 3 points.

GannonFan
November 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Geez, Laycock just should've stuck to the "we're disappointed we didn't get in, we played hard and unfortunately we couldn't get the wins we needed to get invited" without that slam on Iona. For a guy who's normally pretty good with his words, that's a huge Matthews-esque moment there for him. Plenty of other things to state his case on rather than ripping another program.

CAAisBOSS
November 24th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It says that if we play like that again, we're done. But a 9-win CAA team is going to the playoffs no matter how they play their last game.

I freely admit UR lacks a killer instinct, and that's a big concern. Our 3 losses (even @ FBS UVa) and our OT game against W&M, we had a chance to put the games away. @ Villanova we had two red zone possessions in the first 10 minutes and came away with 3 points.

How many teams in the country can overcome SEVEN turnovers to take the #6 team in the into overtime--overcoming a 20 point deficit? Plus the only difference with common opponents is the UNH game. WM won (on the road) UMaine lost (at home).

WileECoyote06
November 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM

lol . . at thinking conference champions in a fully-funded conference don't deserve a shot.

As the last team in, Maine probably cost SCSU or Wofford a home game.

CAAisBOSS
November 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM
lol . . at thinking conference champions in a fully-funded conference don't deserve a shot.

As the last team in, Maine probably cost SCSU or Wofford a home game.

Wofford, maybe. SCSU? No way!

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I agree that it baffles me. LU feels the same as W and M when it comes to that first section of the article. It's not that bad that we didn't get in. It's WHO got in instead of us.

Once the new GPI came out, I KNEW LU was done. The computers didn't give us any love, so all our numbers were weaksauce. But W and M was 10th. TENTH! They beat playoff bound UNH and were a different overtime result from beating playoff bound Richmond.

So, if losing to JMU by 20 was the reason they were kept out, then clearly, here's what teams need to do to insure playoff berths...

-Schedule really good teams.
-If you don't win, in garbage time, run a hurry up 2 minute offense to make the score as close as possible. Use timeouts, out of bounds routes, and spiked balls to ensure a close margin of victory
-Join the CAA North. Clearly being 2nd in the North is good enough to make it in, regardless of resume.

My heart goes out to the Tribe. They should be prepping for a playoff game right now. Maybe LU and W and M can play a "bowl game"? Would be pretty fun if you ask me.

give me a break maine was in the runnng as muc as the other teams...

bainsey
November 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Except that Maine's version of the Nova game was an added CAA North team....
Hmmm, that smells like a bias against the north, Rob. The bottom line is that 'Nova and W&M were equivalent in ranking, so again, we have a wash here.

What you overlook here is that W&M beat UNH.Not at all, SF. I stated that already. The fact is W&M's loss to 'Nova is equivalent to Maine's loss to UNH. As much as you'd like to go head-to-head with UNH, you have to look at all of the losses and the quality thereof. You can't just forget about 'Nova.

And, you can't overlook Iona, either. It may be a lame-duck program, but a win is a win, and Maine bothered to schedule another game this year. W&M did not.

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 11:04 AM
How many teams in the country can overcome SEVEN turnovers to take the #6 team in the into overtime--overcoming a 20 point deficit? Plus the only difference with common opponents is the UNH game. WM won (on the road) UMaine lost (at home).

Thats the thing, all of your games it seems you came back, which is saying something, but the commitee wants a game that will be hard fought, not 7 turnovers, and the other team falling asleep. the unh game was very poorly played by W&M in the first half. then UNH just didnt play, and if it wasnt for a questionable personal foul, your final drvie would have been over.

seeing both W&M and Maine live, i think maine has the better shot to stay in the game and keep it competitive

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thats the thing, all of your games it seems you came back, which is saying something, but the commitee wants a game that will be hard fought, not 7 turnovers, and the other team falling asleep. the unh game was very poorly played by W&M in the first half. then UNH just didnt play, and if it wasnt for a questionable personal foul, your final drvie would have been over.

seeing both W&M and Maine live, i think maine has the better shot to stay in the game and keep it competitive

Sorry, but that kind of analysis is ridiculous.

See you next year in Williamsburg, where your Wildcats can "just not play" again.

dwtime
November 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Jimmie Laycock's comments:

http://blog.peta.org/archives/Sour%20Grapes.jpg

PapaBear
November 24th, 2008, 04:43 PM
No matter how bad they were, Iona still was better than "bye."

PapaBear
November 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM
No matter how bad they were, Iona still was better than "bye."

Any particular reason WM DIDN'T schedule a 12th game?

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 04:48 PM

Been there. xnodx

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Sorry, but that kind of analysis is ridiculous.

See you next year in Williamsburg, where your Wildcats can "just not play" again.

all im saying, is the commitee didnt just look at scores they looked at a lot of things. maybe a hard fought loss in the snow. is more impressive than coming back from 7 turnovers... i know if UNH comitted 7 turnovers i would leave the game saying they played like crap wether they won or lost... its really not something to brag about.

nutterlyattled
November 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
and i really am not worried about W&M next year, we are going to be one hell of a UNH team, we arent losing many key players on defense, and we always seem to fill holes in the offense.

TribeGuy09
November 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
and i really am not worried about W&M next year, we are going to be one hell of a UNH team, we arent losing many key players on defense, and we always seem to fill holes in the offense.

You should be worried about W&M next year. We should have the most talented and DEEP squad in recent memory. And besides, we always find a way to beat your wildcats, no matter how good you guys think you are xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
xbawlingx

Laycock needs to stop being a baby. That is classless to whine like that, especially about a CAA team.

Win more games and you're in. Simple as that.

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Maine doesnt derserve to be were they are at.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 06:48 PM
"UNFINISHED BUSINESS" - your education?

WildcatFan
November 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM
What you overlook here is that W&M beat UNH. I can't find a way around that as the most telling comparison.
Yes but W&M always beats UNH even in the years that UNH is much better. Why - wish I knew.xbowx

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
The committee thought different.... To be honest, I ate a lot of "CROW" since I was pretty sure Liberty would make it.... But they did not and Maine did...but I won't go as far to say that Maine does not deserve to be there as 8 D-I wins looks a lot better than 7 D-I wins in a 12 game season.

I honestly think that each of the 16th final teams would have caused havoc from someone on the board:

-Liberty....strength of schedule blah blah blah
-Elon.....they lost 3 out of their last 4 games blah blah blah....
-W&M.....well they lost their last two games that they knew they needed to win and they only have 7 D-I wins.....blah blah blah...

And we've definitely heard enough on why Maine should not be there...... But honestly, do you think Maine should call the committee and say that they didn't feel they deserved to be there and tell them to send W&M instead.... Even coach Cosgrove was shocked they made it....

Both W&M and Maine knew that they had to win out their last two games to get a shot in almost mirror fashion.... The first week on the road at traditional powers JMU/UMass respectfully and the 2nd week at home against playoff bound rivals in UR/UNH respectfully. W&M went 0-2 and Maine went 1-1. So if you think about it, Maine came out on top in that situation.

Geez Liberty, why in the heck did you have to lose to Presby and Elon, why did you have to lose to Liberty.....now because of this, we are having in conference fighting on who should have made the field....shame shame shame......xnonono2x

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Our AD just said on our basketball radio broadcast that WM should be in over Maine.

luflame15
November 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Ya. Well I know my school definatley derserved a bid before Maine. So why dont you take ur own advice.

art vandelay
November 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM

I agree. This was a pretty classless article. As a head coach you should always be gracious am very surprised at what he said and how he said it. W&M fans can disagree all they want but you know it’s true.

PantherRob82
November 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Who cares? It's done with.

art vandelay
November 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yes but W&M always beats UNH even in the years that UNH is much better. Why - wish I knew.xbowx

agreed W&M has our number. It sounds dumb but I dont think that win helped their cause as much as they think. Certaine teams match up really really bad and this is one of those and i think the committee knew that. or maybe not. what do I know.

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Laycock is about as classy as Matthews! xlolx xlolx xlolx ......the sooner Maine is out of the CAA, the better as far as I'm concerned.......I'm sick of the B.S. from the Southern schools....especially the Virginia ones! xnodx xnodx xnodx

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I want Matthews to comment again on conference teams not putting enough resources into their programs. Namely, some teams opting not to play the maximum allowable number of games.

Damn right! xthumbsupx

mainejeff
November 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Our AD just said on our basketball radio broadcast that WM should be in over Maine.

That's a surprise! xrolleyesx

Is he lobbying to come back to the CAA (in all sports)? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2008, 10:32 PM
OK, I just read this whole thread and here are my thoughts.

William & Mary have a legitimate argument.
The William & Mary coach is a jack*** and should shut up.
Liberty has no argument at all. Maine and W&M both are more deserving then the Flames and there maybe a couple more teams too.
Don't hate on Maine, hate on the committee. Soon enough we will know wether they deserve to be in or not.

RationalGriz
November 24th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I can not believe so many people are pi$$ing and moaning over this. For the most part the difference between the schools for the last spot were minimal and for whatever there reasons, they settled on Maine. It is over, done deal, get over it. The one thing you learn year after year is that a team never wants to leave it up to the committee, and they almost always are unpredictable when it comes to that last at-large spot.

MacThor
November 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Laycock is about as classy as Matthews! xlolx xlolx xlolx ......the sooner Maine is out of the CAA, the better as far as I'm concerned.......I'm sick of the B.S. from the Southern schools....especially the Virginia ones! xnodx xnodx xnodx

This Spider voted for Maine in the AGS "Who should get in?" poll over the weekend.......

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2008, 08:56 AM

xlolx I think what you're sick of is losing to the Virginia schools.

By the way, will you be calling for Cosgrove's head again after he made the playoffs? I can understand your uncomfortability with Jack, as he is a first class guy.;)

Tribe4SF
November 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
The William & Mary coach is a jack*** and should shut up.
[/LIST]

Hmmm...nice that you get to say that after hearing the same from your fellow Wildcat fans all year.:D

mainejeff
November 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
xlolx I think what you're sick of is losing to the Virginia schools.

By the way, will you be calling for Cosgrove's head again after he made the playoffs? I can understand your uncomfortability with Jack, as he is a first class guy.;)

He hasn't made the playoffs since 2002 (that's 6 years for you W&M students and grads). Didn't call for it back then and won't call for it now.....however, if he goes another 6 years of under .500 ball......as Palin would say.......you betcha! xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
November 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Better that he should have left that statement out, though I give him kudos for being supportive to his players and his program.

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
OK, I just read this whole thread and here are my thoughts.

[LIST]
William & Mary have a legitimate argument.
[LIST]

This sentence implies that both William and Mary each have an arguement. Are there 2 schools that are complaining about getting woofed? ;):Dxlolx

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Laycock.xlolx

soccerguy315
November 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Laycock.xlolx

thank you for contributing to the discussion. excellent post.

TCisMYhero
November 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
thank you for contributing to the discussion. excellent post.

Just about as worthy as yoursxnodx