PDA

View Full Version : Queston about AQ's in 2010

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
So is the new format going to be 8 DI wins, 2 wins against AQ teams or something like that. The reason I ask is because when they interviewed the commissioner of the selection committee they asked him why Liberty was left out even though if it was 2010 they would have gotten an AQ and he said they didn't have enough wins to meet the criteria or something to that effect and then wouldn't answer the question. They of course apologized for putting him on the spot, but he said had they met the criteria they would have been selected.

So my question I guess...what is the new format exactly and would LIberty have met that criteria this year.

Signed,

Perplexedxcoffeex

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I think what they were saying (and without having heard the interview this is just a guess) is that Liberty did not have enough wins with the schedule they had this season to warrent inclusion. There was a conditional autobid out there if the conference champion met certain requirements, but it was extended only to the NEC, not the Big South. Presumably, the Committee saw Liberty's schedule and said "Sweep the Big South, don't lose to a D-II, and only lose 1 OOC game, and that'll be good enough." The loss to Presbyterian, it seems (either as their 2nd loss or as an in-conference loss), is what killed Liberty's chances xtwocentsx

As far as for 2010, presumably the Big South will get one of the 2 new autobids (the other going to the NEC), and this year Liberty, by virtue of winning the Big South, would have earned the automatic bid

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 06:38 AM
ok...it was just a weird interview...the guy didn't sound like he was sure about the rules and he is the commish which kinda makes you wonder lol

DSUrocks07
November 24th, 2008, 06:43 AM
ok...it was just a weird interview...the guy didn't sound like he was sure about the rules and he is the commish which kinda makes you wonder lol

He was probably upset that they couldn't get a sixth CAA team in the tourney xlolx

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM
The conditional AQ only applies to 2008 and 2009 for the NEC only.

In 2010, the winner of the NEC and Big South will both get full AQ's. Hence, Liberty and Albany would have made the field this year.

appstate1998
November 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
The conditional AQ only applies to 2008 and 2009 for the NEC only.

In 2010, the winner of the NEC and Big South will both get full AQ's. Hence, Liberty and Albany would have made the field this year.

He definitely did not know that part then, because he said that Liberty didn't have enough wins for the conditional, and to me that would mean he thought they could get one, which makes you wonder who really was ever on the "Board"

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM
He definitely did not know that part then, because he said that Liberty didn't have enough wins for the conditional, and to me that would mean he thought they could get one, which makes you wonder who really was ever on the "Board"

The ESPNU guys said the committee spent three hours deciding between Maine, W&M, Liberty, and Jacksonville State. They were more than on the board, they received consideration for 3 hour.

Whether he knew the rule or not didn't matter since they didn't qualify for the conditional AQ anyway.

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM
The ESPNU guys said the committee spent three hours deciding between Maine, W&M, Liberty, and Jacksonville State. They were more than on the board, they received consideration for 3 hour.

Whether he knew the rule or not didn't matter since they didn't qualify for the conditional AQ anyway.

I dont think it is close between those four teams... Liberty shouldve been in

Tim James
November 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Liberty was left out because the Big South is not respected as a conference.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2008, 07:14 AM
The 13-week season pretty much threw everything out-of-whack. 7 DI wins is a good critgerion in a 12-week season.