PDA

View Full Version : Worst Selection Show Ever?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
No, really.

I was very surprised to learn, for example, that Wofford and James Madison run the same type of offense. And that Wofford's offense is very QB-centric, too.

I also was surprised to learn that Colgate had a "balanced" offense. If by that they mean balanced between Sullivan's runs, Scott's runs, and Eachus' runs, then yes; but I don't think that's what he meant.

Also, the yo-yos over there didn't announce who was HOME and AWAY in three of the four non-seeded games. At EKU, or at Richmond? At Weber State, or Cal Poly?

And - oh, those hard-hitting questions with Mickey Matthews. The most loose-lipped head freakin' football coach on the planet, and all they could get was how they both had good running offenses? Here's my first question: "So Mickey, think the committee has it in for you?"

Utterly pathetic.

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Last year's spot on Montana was bad. They had the best defense in the country, and all they said was we had a "high-powered offense", which was hardly the case. It's FCS. They don't tend to do much homework.

beauvighn
November 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
I can't believe there was no Corso, Herbie, and Fowler. ESPN sux big time

putter
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Yea, I e-mailed the guys at SME and asked them how the top people at FCS schools can talk with the NCAA and tell them to actually promote the playoffs. ESPN promotes the World Series of Poker than they do the FCS playoffs...xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I was listening to the App live stream and all those guys kept talking about was how every FCS atmosphere compares to "The Rock" and seeming to base teams ability to advance on that. They said Richmonds weakness is their inability to handle App State in Boone last year and the fact they don't play in tough enviroments in the CAA. Say what? UD, JMU?

JayJ79
November 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I, too, was not impressed with the selection show.

Hell, not only did their crawler run the pairings before the selection show got to it (I'm guessing due to the delay of the show after basketball ran long), but it stated that Maine would take on Northern Illinois. Ugh.

Of course, the press release on Maine's own website says that the game will be played in Cedar Rapids..... xnonono2x

putter
November 23rd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I was listening to the App live stream and all those guys kept talking about was how every FCS atmosphere compares to "The Rock" and seeming to base teams ability to advance on that. They said Richmonds weakness is their inability to handle App State in Boone last year and the fact they don't play in tough enviroments in the CAA. Say what? UD, JMU?

Yes, but you have to remember that after the App - Montana State playoff game a couple of years ago, all the press wanted to know from MSU coach Mike Cramer was how the atmosphere compared to Montana. They must have been disappointed to learn that he felt there was no comparison.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
At least the Ocho got all of the other teams' names correct - we need to move our campus to DeKalb. They jacked us at least twice. At least Jerry Moore knew who we were. Rep points for him.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
I was listening to the App live stream and all those guys kept talking about was how every FCS atmosphere compares to "The Rock" and seeming to base teams ability to advance on that. They said Richmonds weakness is their inability to handle App State in Boone last year and the fact they don't play in tough enviroments in the CAA. Say what? UD, JMU?And you expected something different? Next thing you'll say is that a "broadcaster's poll" is credible. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
And you expected something different? Next thing you'll say is that a "broadcaster's poll" is credible. xlolx

But they were using it to compare games that had nothing to do with App State. They said UNH would not be able to handle the atmosphere at UNI when they had just played there last year along with playing in a number of FBS games. They also took a cheap shot at Cal Poly and their facilities when talking about the Stangs hosting Weber State.

crunifan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Watching Appalachian State win the 2005 over NIU was interesting.

Also, learning that Maine would be traveling to DeKalb, Illinois to face the Huskies was another interesting moment.

While I completely hate being called NIU, it is forgivable. But actually showing Northern Illinois is not. Disgusting really.

UNI Pike
November 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
What's the problem with Cal Poly's place? They have improved it a great deal since 2002 when UNI last played at the campus. That game had the feel of a small HS. I don't think there were 3,000 people at that game, but I could be wrong.

They currently seat 11K, working up to 22K.

MaximumBobcat
November 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yea, I e-mailed the guys at SME and asked them how the top people at FCS schools can talk with the NCAA and tell them to actually promote the playoffs. ESPN promotes the World Series of Poker than they do the FCS playoffs...xsmhx

What do you expect? More people care about the WSOP than the NCAA Div-I playoffs.

It's true!!

putter
November 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM
What do you expect? More people care about the WSOP than the NCAA Div-I playoffs.

It's true!!

True, but wouldn't you think that ESPN would want more people to watch? Hyping all the playoff games can only benefit ESPN. The more people watch the more they can charge and that helps the FCS

tingly
November 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Cal Poly has a great west side, but they lack a lot of onsite facilities. If they do the 22000 seat buildout, they'll have lots of space under the east bleachers to add and improve.

appfan2008
November 24th, 2008, 07:15 AM

they do get paid by the university and love the school so you cant expect much else...

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I completely agree. I had to go online to figure out who was the home team in the EKU-Richmond game. When they flashed it on the screen it said "EKU vs. Richmond" and to me, "vs." usually means the first team listed is home.

They knew 15 of the 16 schools as soon as the games ended yesterday, and for the past week there was a fairly limited field of teams with a shot. They couldn't come up with better scouting reports and video?

Clips of Villanova at WVU, with the kid who is no longer their QB. I particularly liked the clip of SCSU where the OL manhandles a pass rusher's face-mask -- they even showed the ref throwing the flag. "For your playoff highlight reel, we want to show a penalty."

nmatsen
November 24th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I hope there have been some renovations made, from the sounds of things they have. When we played there in 02' the locker room had a dirt floor.

Its funny how when I think of Cal Poly all I can think about is our kicker going 6-7 on field goals including a 57 yarder to tie it at the end of regulation in the rain, and then add to it the blunderous kicking that they had at Wisconsin, maybe they should have recruited our kid, and then red-shirted him 6 times and the would have won. We could call it the Jess Settles seven year plan that the University of Iowa basketball program uses.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Yes, it was the worst. Running the pairings on the ticker before they were announced was rather unbelievable. It did cut my anxious suspense, though, as Maine appearing let me know the Tribe was out.xthumbsdownx

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I loved how the only position the guy talked about was the quarterbacks of the teams.. Cal Poly but NO MENTION of Ramses Barden

Lehigh Football Nation
November 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM
The reaction on this thread is giving my great hope that I'm not actually crazy. xlolx

I think the fact that fans are saying "oh yeah! They also goofed when they said..." speaks volumes. I'm still floored by Lugenbill saying that Wofford and JMU's offense are the same.

On a selfish note, calling Colgate's offense "balanced" simply is comical, as anyone who has followed Colgate for about one series could probably tell you. And you're telling me you can't find one stinkin' highlight of Jordan Scott? I mean, dude, you had FOUR YEARS to find something.

gbhmt
November 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I loved how the only position the guy talked about was the quarterbacks of the teams.. Cal Poly but NO MENTION of Ramses Barden

Yeah this. Cole Bergquist is far from the star player of the Griz.

AppIAA
November 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM

They definitely did mention Barden.. at the end when he picked Dally as the offensive player to watch and said "plus he has a big receiver in Barden to throw too.. hes a stud" or something to that effect..

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Why is Lugenbill the "analyst" on this selection show? Just because he played at EKU for one year after transferring from two other schools? Don't they have an intern at the Ocho that once dated a girl who's brother went to a FCS school?

I was waiting for the mocked Vibrating Football Game with App State & Michigan being replayed during the interview with Jerry Moore...

UNI Pike
November 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I hope there have been some renovations made, from the sounds of things they have. When we played there in 02' the locker room had a dirt floor.

Its funny how when I think of Cal Poly all I can think about is our kicker going 6-7 on field goals including a 57 yarder to tie it at the end of regulation in the rain, and then add to it the blunderous kicking that they had at Wisconsin, maybe they should have recruited our kid, and then red-shirted him 6 times and the would have won. We could call it the Jess Settles seven year plan that the University of Iowa basketball program uses.

That was a hell of a game, bad overall season (even year). My wife and I were at the game. Cold, wet, dark, and frickin' long. Bleachers older than anyone attending the game. The small UNI section all lost their voices and had numb hands from clapping all the way through the triple OT.

If I remember correctly, Benny Sapp ended up injuring an arm/shoulder during the game, but played through it. It was hanging to the side after the game, when they came over to the fans for the fight song.

To your point about the facilities, they are all new now. Its a palace. There is even agitation from the fan base to expand the stadium to 45K to facilitate a move up to FBS (why, I don't know). Maybe they kept the dirt floor ala the pink locker room at Iowa. xpeacex