PDA

View Full Version : Where did the Liberty fans go?

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Liberty fans talked alot about what was going to happen and how they were going to get in, but......since the brackets came out, they have all went missing.......hmmmmmmmmm ;)

woffordgrad94
November 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
Liberty SHOULD be on here screaming bloody murder. I say they officially got "Wofforded"

Oh well, next year maybe they should beat PC, althoug I still say that should not have kept them out. But it did, much in the same way as Wofford's loss to VMI kept them out in 2002.

charliej
November 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Anyone checked Crapsville?

Took me a while to get over it last year,only to get screwed again this year.:(

But hey...we're in it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I don't think Liberty has any beef. They played 2 D2 schools which is an absolute no-no IMO. There's no reason for that even if someone backs out. They also beat 1 team of note and a bunch of other scrubs. They had a loss to a bad Presbyterian team and an ok Lafayette squad. Had they played two PFL or NEC teams instead of the D2's i think they would have a gripe.

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Never thought Liberty was going to make it, but W&M has a legit gripe that Maine made it ahead of them.

ASU_MBA
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Liberty is a joke and i am glad they did not make the big dance. The fans are probably at some anti-gay or anti-teletubby rally on campus. It would have been a waste of a playoff spot.

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
We are here. We are just sick right now. and AGS is slow as crap.

I watched the show tonight with all the guys. I've never seen such dissapointment in one room at one time. Those guys especilly the seniors who suffered through a 1-10 freshman season deserved to be in the playoffs. I also will say this. W&M should be just as pissed as we are. In no way shape or form is there any argument for Maine of all schools to be in over us and W&M. I would have been fine tonight if W&M got the nod. But they didn't even get in. please explain to me how a team who's best Quality win is UMASS? and as far as that travel crap people keep talking about cutting costs? MAINE is going to UNI? um.... i'm pretty sure thats a freaking long trip that will most likely be a Flight to UNI for the Bears. I just don't get it.

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Liberty is a joke and i am glad they did not make the big dance. The fans are probably at some anti-gay or anti-teletubby rally on campus. It would have been a waste of a playoff spot.

That was probably one of the most ignorant comments I think i've ever read on this board. Way to show some class. xcoffeex

ATrain
November 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Elon should've gotten in ahead of Maine IMO.

OVC Fan
November 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
I feel for Liberty. They did all they could. They just shouldn't have had 2 non-DI's on the schedule. That (more than the Presby loss I think) killed them. Heck if you look at it, they had 3 non DI's ... I know Presby counts, but they aren't full Division I yet, so that might be a perception.

Just wait another 2 years and you can win the auto bid in the Big South.

FargoBison
November 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Liberty was victim of a weak schedule that gave them no room for error, they basically could only afford to lose one game.

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
I feel for Liberty. They did all they could. They just shouldn't have had 2 non-DI's on the schedule. That (more than the Presby loss I think) killed them. Heck if you look at it, they had 3 non DI's ... I know Presby counts, but they aren't full Division I yet, so that might be a perception.

Just wait another 2 years and you can win the auto bid in the Big South.

The problem is NCCU screwed us into forcing us to schedule 2 DII's. NCCU backed out last minute. So late that we couldn't get another FCS school to Play us.

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I, for one, am not upset with Maine making it.xrulesx

OVC Fan
November 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
The problem is NCCU screwed us into forcing us to schedule 2 DII's. NCCU backed out last minute. So late that we couldn't get another FCS school to Play us.

I think you should picket at NCCU this week! ;)

ASU_MBA
November 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Classy just like the hill in lynchburg with the big LU

Sorry for the comment just not a big liberty propaganda fan on and off the field. The schedule, the losses and the weak wins did not make them a playoff team.

Dukie95
November 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
I want to thank FlameFans.com for being the only message board I could find that actually worked during the show. xthumbsupx

charliej
November 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
I, for one, am not upset with Maine making it.xrulesx

May not feel the same way after next week. :p

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Classy just like the hill in lynchburg with the big LU

Sorry for the comment just not a big liberty propaganda fan on and off the field. The schedule, the losses and the weak wins did not make them a playoff team.

Look I'm about a big a fan of the BIG LU on the mountain as much as you are. I support my school. Propoganda or not, Right wing or not. And when somone goes around spouting off misinformed crap about my school I get a little defensive. You would too if i were to bash your alma mater. We deserved to be in over maine. Maybe not W&M but Definitly maine.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
We are here. We are just sick right now. and AGS is slow as crap.

I watched the show tonight with all the guys. I've never seen such dissapointment in one room at one time. Those guys especilly the seniors who suffered through a 1-10 freshman season deserved to be in the playoffs. I also will say this. W&M should be just as pissed as we are. In no way shape or form is there any argument for Maine of all schools to be in over us and W&M. I would have been fine tonight if W&M got the nod. But they didn't even get in. please explain to me how a team who's best Quality win is UMASS? and as far as that travel crap people keep talking about cutting costs? MAINE is going to UNI? um.... i'm pretty sure thats a freaking long trip that will most likely be a Flight to UNI for the Bears. I just don't get it.

Who else do you send to UNI? EKU went to Richmond. Maine can't play Richmond. We can't play SIU. Everyone else is on the coast, so a long flight either way. xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
May not feel the same way after next week. :p

Very true, I'm sure our team feels differently.

Maine DOES play to our strengths though.

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Who else do you send to UNI? EKU went to Richmond. Maine can't play Richmond. We can't play SIU. Everyone else is on the coast, so a long flight either way. xthumbsupx

Let SIU have the 3 seed. they take UNH and UNI take on like EKU and let US go to richmond.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
We were not able to get on till now.
This is a tragedy for the LU men who did what they were told they had to do yesterday. Maine Doesn't deserve anything. They only beat 2 teams with winning records and no ranked teams. What a joke. Say what you want about our 2 DII games, but we WON 8 Games. The committe told us last year we didn't get in because we didn't have 8 DI wins. We did, and they screwed us. I think this is all politics. We will not get in until we get the auto bid in 2010.
even if we bead JMU and WVU in '09 and go undefeated, there is no guarantee at this point. The committee is biased towards us and the big South and slanted for the CAA!

JOKE!

luflame15
November 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I think they kept us out cause of our evengilcal status as a school. WE GOT SCREWED BIG TIME!!!!!!!

LUfilmguy
November 23rd, 2008, 11:58 PM
I think they kept us out cause of our evengilcal status as a school. WE GOT SCREWED BIG TIME!!!!!!!

ok. I'm not gonna lie. that was just dumb. no way our views as a university got us left out. Love the commitment and enthusiasm but use your head before you post.

Cleets
November 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM
If Maine doesn't get in at the bottom how does UNI get a win..? xlolx

(Just wondering) xwhistlex

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM
ok. I'm not gonna lie. that was just dumb. no way our views as a university got us left out. Love the commitment and enthusiasm but use your head before you post.

Good post there filmguy. I'm glad to see that didn't fly with even one of his contemporaries. Don't wanna pile on him so I'll just say that I agree with your post completely.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
If Maine doesn't get in at the bottom how does UNI get a win..? xlolx

(Just wondering) xwhistlex

Still pissed at Cap'n and D1B for not showing at the Griz Challenge are ya Cleetsy? Me too, so I'll agree with ya.

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM
AGS was slow/down for me...

Once the GPI came out... I knew we were out. I just didn't think that Maine would get in. I still had to fight for my cause, just because I can. But William and Mary played a tough schedule, and beat a playoff team, and deserve a trip to the Dome to beat UNI. Maine is going to lose in Iowa just like they did against the Hawkeyes...

:)

Yes.

blur2005
November 24th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Let SIU have the 3 seed. they take UNH and UNI take on like EKU and let US go to richmond.
If Liberty had made it, the Flames would have played JMU for sure.

This is a tragedy for the LU men who did what they were told they had to do yesterday. Maine Doesn't deserve anything. They only beat 2 teams with winning records and no ranked teams. What a joke. Say what you want about our 2 DII games, but we WON 8 Games. The committe told us last year we didn't get in because we didn't have 8 DI wins. We did, and they screwed us. I think this is all politics. We will not get in until we get the auto bid in 2010.
even if we bead JMU and WVU in '09 and go undefeated, there is no guarantee at this point. The committee is biased towards us and the big South and slanted for the CAA!

JOKE!
Technically, Presbyterian isn't completely D-I yet as it's still provisional. And you lost to them, which can't have helped along with having two DIIs (though it sucks NCCU backed out on you). Also, if the committee were biased towards you, that would've helped Liberty's playoff chances. Biased and slanted towards are not antonyms.

That's like saying Florida A&M didn't get an at-large bid because it's an HBCU, which is idiotic. Perhaps you don't know what an HBCU is considering you can't even spell "evangelical" correctly. I'm thinking Jerry Falwell's status as your founder had nothing to do with Liberty not making the field. Losing to Presbyterian and having two D-IIs on the schedule are more likely explanations.

SuperJon
November 24th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Since you asked a question, I will answer where I went:

I went to church at 11:30 this morning.

After church, I went to eat lunch with one of our SIDs.

After that, I went to the team meeting we had at 2:00.

Once that was over, while the guys were in special teams and offense/defensive meetings, I watched some NFL games in the office, had a good conversation with our equipment manager, and just killed time.

At 4:15, I went to our team meeting.

After Coach Rocco dismissed us, I hung out around the office for a while before going to dinner with a couple other people.

When dinner was over, we still had some more time to kill. The players started coming back in slowly, the reporters were there, and the mood was great. We hung out, watched the end of the Tech game, and had a good time.

Then I watched the show. When SC State was announced going to App, I started getting worried. When Wofford was announced going to JMU, I got scared.

Then Maine came across the ticker. Most of the guys didn't see it, but Coach Rocco did.

After the selection show was over, we met back in the team room so that the reporters and media weren't there. Coach Rocco spoke to the entire team, coaching staff, and support staff.

When that was over, I went around and shook hands with and hugged every senior that I could find, many of whom I was good friends with and many of whom were crying or visibly shaken up.

After I spoke to the seniors, I went and shook the hand or hugged every coach.

Then I went home, threw some clothes in a bag, and drove 2.5 hours up to Centreville, VA to visit a friend for a few days. I had no desire to post on here, FlameFans, or anywhere else. I didn't want to say something stupid that was emotionally driven like 90% of the things on FlameFans and a lot of the stuff on here.

You may think it was pointless for me to post all of the things that went on during the day. I wanted to show you just a glimpse of what goes into this thing from not only a fan perspective but from the perspective of a program. Most people on here have never stepped foot on the field for their school or ever worked around their school's program. That's not saying you care any less, it's just that it's a different perspective. While fans are pissed off and mad, most of us were simply hurt. Yeah, we were angry, but when it all came down to it, it just hurt. Being that close, working that hard, and not getting in doesn't feel good at all. The first hour of the drive up here I just sat there in the car driving completely numb. I didn't know what to think or feel. I couldn't even cry.

I hate that the committee picked Maine. I was fully convinced we were in. I thought we had a great case and that I would be missing Thanksgiving with my family for the first time so that we could play next weekend. I thought we had finally gotten over that hump.

I was wrong.

With all of this being said, with as sad, angry, hurt, confused, and disappointed as I am, I will say good luck to Maine. You are in, now prove that you deserved it. Shut us up and prove to us that you were the better team.

To everyone else who made it in: congratulations to your players, your staff, and your fans. Good luck over the next four weeks.

This one hurt. This one really, really hurt.

joecooll6
November 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM

JOKE!

To quote Andy Bernard, "That was an OVER reaction".

Agree that you had a better case than Maine, but W&M had a better case than you.

Both strange controvertial teams square off next week in the dome. How the heck did we get a seed over SIU??

joecooll6
November 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM

Oh wow, come on, give me a mother flippin break. When people say crap like this, this is the kind of stuff that makes me mad. Its like whenever people automatically play the race card. I think they kept you out because you LOST TO PRESBYTERIAN AND LAFAYETTE!!!!

You all make it sound like there was no arguement against Liberty and it was a foregone conclusion that you would make it and you are shocked that you didn't. True you had a strong arguement, but there were arguements against you too. Shame you didnt make it but dont make lame excuses like this.

Cleets
November 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Still pissed at Cap'n and D1B for not showing at the Griz Challenge are ya Cleetsy? Me too, so I'll agree with ya.

Jeeze man..!!!

xshhhx Shhh... I was setting the bait

xlolx

SuperJon
November 24th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Oh wow, come on, give me a mother flippin break. When people say crap like this, this is the kind of stuff that makes me mad.

If this were 10-15-20 years ago, I could see that being the case. That's nowhere near the case now. If BYU can get in big time games as a Mormon school then no Liberty fan can complain that the man is keeping us down because we're a bunch of Christians. That's just stupid. Even if you believe that, it's stupid to say it publicly. Remember, it's better for someone to look at you and think you're an idiot than for you to open you're mouth and prove that you're an idiot.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Since you asked a question, I will answer where I went:

I went to church at 11:30 this morning.

After church, I went to eat lunch with one of our SIDs.

After that, I went to the team meeting we had at 2:00.

Once that was over, while the guys were in special teams and offense/defensive meetings, I watched some NFL games in the office, had a good conversation with our equipment manager, and just killed time.

At 4:15, I went to our team meeting.

After Coach Rocco dismissed us, I hung out around the office for a while before going to dinner with a couple other people.

When dinner was over, we still had some more time to kill. The players started coming back in slowly, the reporters were there, and the mood was great. We hung out, watched the end of the Tech game, and had a good time.

Then I watched the show. When SC State was announced going to App, I started getting worried. When Wofford was announced going to JMU, I got scared.

Then Maine came across the ticker. Most of the guys didn't see it, but Coach Rocco did.

After the selection show was over, we met back in the team room so that the reporters and media weren't there. Coach Rocco spoke to the entire team, coaching staff, and support staff.

When that was over, I went around and shook hands with and hugged every senior that I could find, many of whom I was good friends with and many of whom were crying or visibly shaken up.

After I spoke to the seniors, I went and shook the hand or hugged every coach.

Then I went home, threw some clothes in a bag, and drove 2.5 hours up to Centreville, VA to visit a friend for a few days. I had no desire to post on here, FlameFans, or anywhere else. I didn't want to say something stupid that was emotionally driven like 90% of the things on FlameFans and a lot of the stuff on here.

You may think it was pointless for me to post all of the things that went on during the day. I wanted to show you just a glimpse of what goes into this thing from not only a fan perspective but from the perspective of a program. Most people on here have never stepped foot on the field for their school or ever worked around their school's program. That's not saying you care any less, it's just that it's a different perspective. While fans are pissed off and mad, most of us were simply hurt. Yeah, we were angry, but when it all came down to it, it just hurt. Being that close, working that hard, and not getting in doesn't feel good at all. The first hour of the drive up here I just sat there in the car driving completely numb. I didn't know what to think or feel. I couldn't even cry.

I hate that the committee picked Maine. I was fully convinced we were in. I thought we had a great case and that I would be missing Thanksgiving with my family for the first time so that we could play next weekend. I thought we had finally gotten over that hump.

I was wrong.

With all of this being said, with as sad, angry, hurt, confused, and disappointed as I am, I will say good luck to Maine. You are in, now prove that you deserved it. Shut us up and prove to us that you were the better team.

To everyone else who made it in: congratulations to your players, your staff, and your fans. Good luck over the next four weeks.

This one hurt. This one really, really hurt.

Well said SJ, and thanks for the perspective. You actually made me feel for the Liberty guys in that one. I may be on my way to paying more attention to Liberty football due to your post. Since you have some access in your program make sure they stay away from too many d2's and FBS games in one season as I've seen a lot of good Big Sky teams schedule themselves out of the playoffs. Good luck to you guys next year.

SoCon48
November 24th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Liberty SHOULD be on here screaming bloody murder. I say they officially got "Wofforded"

Oh well, next year maybe they should beat PC, althoug I still say that should not have kept them out. But it did, much in the same way as Wofford's loss to VMI kept them out in 2002.

1st. There is no such thing as Woffered. A team who is either an upstart or been out of the spotlight for years has to prove themselves all season long. Not just beating a couple of the front runners.

2nd Liberty got shafted not just because they were from a weak non auto conference, but because the CAA was going to have 5 teams in no matter what. Somebody down the line had to stay home.

Now do I think Liberty deserved as spot. You're darn tootin'!

Does the CAA deserve 10 spots the last 2 years? Are you kidding me?

Wofford (from perhaps the best confernce in the nation) is the one who got hosed this year. No way they should be having to face #1 in the first round away after having to go to Montana lasts year. Wofford is way better than at least 2 of the CAA's entrants!
Elon should have gone this year if based on key performances.

jcmanson
November 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
As others have said, we're still here. I couldn't get AGS to load all last night.

leatherneck177
November 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Can someone please post Liberty's schedule with results. I do not understand the huge debate on their playoff "snub". It comes down to the fact that they beat another team that did NOT make the playoffs. Right?