PDA

View Full Version : Texas St @ #4 Montana

BigApp
November 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Discuss

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
I've said it on BobcatFans...the key to the game is the Bobcats O-Line vs the Griz rush defense.

If the Bobcats establish the run, make some long possessions of it and keep their defense rested up as much as possible, this game will go the Bobcats way. I think the Griz are not used to the team speed that the Bobcats possess.

However, the first 10 minutes are key. If TXST comes into the game with a "deer in the headlights" look, they'll get buried. This is not your typical game and it sure as heck is not Huntsville, Texas. This is a playoff game in Wash-Griz Stadium.

Bobcat94
November 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing how it's done at the Mecca of FCS. All the respect there is from a Texas State Bobcat. xthumbsupx I know the kids at Texas State will not give up ask GSU from 05, ask Sam last night.

Go State!!

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Well, Montana has a better defense than ANYONE in the SLC and the Big Sky had some high-powered offenses (Portland St.).

We play better on the road but I realize Montana is not your typical road game.

We'll see what happens.

By the way griz fans, a few of you guys have been over on our fan board already. Would like to extend an invitation to the rest of you.

www.bobcatfans.com

nevadagriz
November 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Congrats Tsu on making the post season. If you can make it up for the game do so you will have a blast! I think both teams are very very similiar.
Turnovers will be the difference, when UM turns it over you get Weber outcome when they hold on to it you get MSU outcome.
What is you guys playoff record?
GO GRIZ

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Bobcats are 2-1 all-time in the Div I playoffs with the lone appearance being a semifinal run in 2005. All three games were at home. This is their first road contest in playoff play at the Div I level -- but this year, they are ROAD WARRIORS.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
haha, playoff record?!

2-1 at home, 0-0 on the road..hell yes! we, ummm...haven't had much experience. let's just say that...

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2008, 08:36 PM
damn it terror! your submit button must be better than mine...

uofmman1122
November 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
I think it'll come down to consistency.

If Texas State can play consistently all game, they'll keep up with the Griz. If you lose that consistency, you get what happened to MSU, NAU, PSU, ISU, EWU, and UNC.

Also turnovers will be key. Texas State can't afford more than two turnovers.

Bring mittens and earplugs! xthumbsupx

Silenoz
November 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
damn it terror! your submit button must be better than mine...

You just have to click harder!

And I'm happy we drew Texas State. Always fun to play a new team. Shame that we never have that large of a crowd for Thanksgiving weekend games :(

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I gotta admit, Tx St is the team I probably know the least about that made it in the playoffs. Time to read up and get to know a new team xnodx

I am making the game, I hope some people make it up. If you do, PM me and we can catch up for a beer or 5 :D

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
How is your defense because don't expect to score more than 17.

Ronbo
November 23rd, 2008, 08:50 PM

And I'm happy we drew Texas State. Always fun to play a new team. Shame that we never have that large of a crowd for Thanksgiving weekend games :(

There will be over 20,000 there.xnodx

Silenoz
November 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
There will be over 20,000 there.xnodx

Right. But we won't have 25,000 xlolx

I just like to impress our visitors xrotatehx

Peems
November 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I've been told by a good friend/source, that Mariani will not be playing this week.

TxState_GO_CATS!

our defense has been a little schizophrenic. IMO, still getting used to the new scheme, but have shown a "bend but don't break" tendency at times. compared to the rest of the nation, our defense is horrible at best (statistically).

as someone stated earlier, we have the pieces on offense to be successful in games. we have a three-headed monster at RB, good OL, a pretty good QB, and some outstanding WRs. We have alot of speed on both sides of the ball but please, PLEASE don't pass the ball on us! I can't remember the last time an opponent's QB threw an INT that was actually because of good coverage.

Damn...that sounds bad. but meh. Like I said, "schizophrenic" kinda sums it up. xlolx

uofmman1122
Montana 46 - Southern Utah 10

Southern Utah 34 - Texas State 20

Woah....What happened? xconfusedx

Ronbo
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Look out for Kaz and Sambrano. Not the level of Mariani but they can shine. Good to rest Mariani for the 2nd round. Better a 100% Kaz than a 70% Mariani.xnodx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Right. But we won't have 25,000 xlolx

I just like to impress our visitors xrotatehx

For the Wofford game last year it was 19,761. It was a fun game to be at, even with the smaller crowd. I miss Wa-Griz and can't wait to get back there this weekend. It's a good thing I am only at work Monday and Tuesday, because it's likely I wouldn't get jack done after that anyways :D

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
I don't think that containing the run will be too difficult, and I think the MSU game helps that immensely.

At the beginning of the game, the Griz were sending lots of blitz and Crawford showed that that doesn't work for us. After two possessions we chose to contain instead of attack and shut him down for the rest of the game. Now we know to contain from the get-go.

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

early in the year, still adjusting defensively. (if you saw the NoCo game, you will know what I'm talkin about). that and we were still trying to solidify our QB position.

I tell ya, we've had a crazy year. from almost firing our coach to conference champions...we're a much different team now.xthumbsupx

placidlakegriz
November 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

We should have 18,000 to 20,000. We had 19,761 last year for our round one game.

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
our defense has been a little schizophrenic. IMO, still getting used to the new scheme, but have shown a "bend but don't break" tendency at times. compared to the rest of the nation, our defense is horrible at best (statistically).

as someone stated earlier, we have the pieces on offense to be successful in games. we have a three-headed monster at RB, good OL, a pretty good QB, and some outstanding WRs. We have alot of speed on both sides of the ball but please, PLEASE don't pass the ball on us! I can't remember the last time an opponent's QB threw an INT that was actually because of good coverage.

Damn...that sounds bad. but meh. Like I said, "schizophrenic" kinda sums it up. xlolx

Very honest answer and thats how our D was until we played Weber. I know very little about your team other than watching your game against Cal Poly three years ago. I was very impressed at the time. Best advice would be to not get blitzed early. Teams actually beat us more than we beat them at home in the playoffs when its close. If you get down early, it will get ugly very quickly. However if you start strong and stay in the game, you will have a great chance to steal the W.

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I think it's a total mistmatch. I think that, unfortunately, the Southland only had one playoff caliber team this year and that one team isn't eligible. Texas State, though it's got the auto bid, is the third best team in the Southland by Sagarin, and the fourth best team in the league according to the "average" ratings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm. The Southland's had a rough enough time as it was and this year it appears as it's going to be even worse.

Bobcat94
November 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM

Hey Golfer, like the handle, When did the golf stop for you? As far as 17...The Bobcats will get their points. Count on a track meet, get use to hearing Cam Luke's name, Karrington Bush, Stan, BG, Alvin, Mishak...Speed kills even for a Griz. Not predicting, just saying the young men from Texas State will not give up and expect them to play fast and free Saturday...

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think it's a total mistmatch. I think that, unfortunately, the Southland only had one playoff caliber team this year and that one team isn't eligible. Texas State, though it's got the auto bid, is the third best team in the Southland by Sagarin, and the fourth best team in the league according to the "average" ratings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm. The Southland's had a rough enough time as it was and this year it appears as it's going to be even worse.

Uh oh...John, you may want to edit your post. xsmhx

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hey Golfer, like the handle, When did the golf stop for you? As far as 17...The Bobcats will get their points. Count on a track meet, get use to hearing Cam Luke's name, Karrington Bush, Stan, BG, Alvin, Mishak...Speed kills even for a Griz. Not predicting, just saying the young men from Texas State will not give up and expect them to play fast and free Saturday...

If its a trackmeet I think you guys will win. Luckily for us it won't be. We have a defense that is playing great right now. You will need a strong defense to win on Saturday. Count on it.

patssle
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Best defense in the SLC: McNeese, 62nd ranked
Montana Defense: 29th
TXST Defense: 111th

TXST offense: 5th
Montana Offense: 22nd

Montana put up 35 points on Montana St, the 26th best defense in the nation.

Montana averaged 34 points a game.
TXST averaged 38 points a game.

Stats wise, Montana wins this game due to a horrible TXST defense and the best defense TXST faces all year. Plus home field.

But thats' why its AGS!

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM

third best team? ok...we lost to UCA (the only team ahead of us in the standings), so who is #2? NW St.? Can't say McNeese cuz we went down there and kicked that hiney when you were "the number 3 team in the country."xlolx

xpeacex

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Glad to hear about all the speed from the Southland folks again this year. Never really seems to materialize on the field here but we'll see what happens this year.

slycat
November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Glad we fianlly get to play the legendary Griz. I'm hoping for a great game. Maybe Texas St will put an affordable travel package together.

Ronbo
November 23rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Glad to hear about all the speed from the Southland folks again this year. Never really seems to materialize on the field here but we'll see what happens this year.

I know, I know we always get that from the Southland. McNeese State said the same thing in 2006. What was the final score? Oh yeah, 31-6.

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Glad we fianlly get to play the legendary Griz. I'm hoping for a great game. Maybe Texas St will put an affordable travel package together.

From seeing people in this thread, TXST fans seem quite classy.

slycat
November 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
I know, I know we always get that from the Southland. McNeese State said the same thing in 2006. What was the final score? Oh yeah, 31-6.

Its the dang weather. No good way to prepare for that. (The Griz are good too)

TxState_GO_CATS!
November 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
yah, i'd be pretty slow too if my blood was frozen...

SeattleGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
Montana 38
Texas State 17

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
We didn't have any message board issues with Texas State in 05. Heard stories from the game, but that BS happens.

Not sure I see any way Texas State wins this one.

patssle
November 23rd, 2008, 09:44 PM

And we always hear how great the Griz are, yet everytime they come down to the SLC, they lose. Whats up with that? Great programs win on the road too ;) xcoffeex

/joke

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
And we always hear how great the Griz are, yet everytime they come down to the SLC, they lose. Whats up with that? Great programs win on the road too ;) xcoffeex

/joke

49-24
41-29 u boys
34-13 when it mattered.
Step it up SHSU

Grizalltheway
November 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Its the dang weather. No good way to prepare for that. (The Griz are good too)

Forecast says a high of 39. That's at least warmer than last year's first round game.

slycat
November 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
45-42 Texas St.

xhomerx

MaximumBobcat
November 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Well since everybody's doing it...

38-31 TXST

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
If you guys win 17-16

What I actually think 31-10 us

Would be fun 45-3 us

MaximumBobcat
November 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
If you guys win 17-16

What I actually think 31-10 us

Would be fun 45-3 us

We can all only hope your team is as overconfident as you are!!

I can only hope!!

Seems like they were last year...WOOF!

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 10:05 PM

I can only hope!!

Overconfident? I saw some of you guys predicting putting 45 and 38 on us. We have given up 35...in our last 4 games.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM

I can only hope!!

I didn't hear any over confidence from the players or coaches. Wofford was a difficult matchup for the Griz last year for sure. Sounds like Tx St. is a little more conventional and something Griz have seen before. There are always difficult matchups, but that is why we play the game :)

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 10:13 PM
Montana will hold possession, control the ball, and the defense will stiffen up for a tough go. The CB's are the only questionable element right now.

Griz: 31
Tx St: 24

Silenoz
November 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM

I can only hope!!

Seems to me that everyone is predicting their own team to win, so the confidence is abundant on both sides xlolx

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM

I can only hope!!

I was not overconfident agaisnt wofford last year at all. I predicted a close game, and that's what it was. We lost that game to a field goal

MaximumBobcat
November 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Seems to me that everyone is predicting their own team to win, so the confidence is abundant on both sides xlolx

Lol, yeah, I was just trying to ruffle some feathers, er..fur.

GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!!!

txstatebobcat
November 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM

What a lot of people here don't understand is how bad we looked at the beginning of the season. More than anything we were lucky to win against Angelo State (D-II) and Northern Colorado. Our current starting QB Bradley George, was our own worst enemy in the first couple of games until he finally got pulled and our back up went in. Our entire defense looked like they would have had trouble stopping a Jr high offense, and the worst part is that I'm not exagerating. Things looked really tough and many of us wondered if we would win a single game, much less the championship in the SLC.

However this team proved almost every fan wrong first by going into then #3 ranked McNeese and coming up with win and, despite a couple of speed bumps, going on to win the SLC automatic bid. Because of this I for one won't understimate the bobcats again and it would not surprise me in the least if they come out of Missoula with a win.

UNCBears2010
November 23rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
I gotta admit, Tx St is the team I probably know the least about that made it in the playoffs. Time to read up and get to know a new team xnodx

I am making the game, I hope some people make it up. If you do, PM me and we can catch up for a beer or 5 :D

Here's the Cliff's Notes: They almost lost to UNC.

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I never underestimate a team. I believe every game is hard fought. We can never look past a game with this team. They are pretty prolific. One thing we have is the crowd. The weather. The stadium. Good luck guys.

bobcathusband
November 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
One of the main reasons I think we beat Cal Poly at the start of '07 was our team speed, even though we were a terrible team in '07. Teams out west don't seem to have the same speed that teams from the south have and it usually seems to catch up to them in the playoffs. Tx St has 2 running backs and a wide receiver who can take it to the house on any play. Our skill players basically outraced Sam Houston into the playoffs this weekend after falling way behind early. Be interesting to see how teams from totally different regions compare in style. For the Griz, the way to put the Bobcats away is a power running game. We haven't shown much ability to stop the bigger backs straight up the gut all season.

putter
November 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
The Griz have a big tough O-Line and quality runningbacks. Problem is, the team has not had them perform at a high level for most of the games. The had a great drive against Cal Poly to take the lead, and at least one game changing drive in most other games. If they could start from the opening gun, look out they will manage the clock and put up points.

I think it will be a fun game to watch to see how the Griz do against another fast SLC team.

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
One of the main reasons I think we beat Cal Poly at the start of '07 was our team speed, even though we were a terrible team in '07. Teams out west don't seem to have the same speed that teams from the south have and it usually seems to catch up to them in the playoffs. Tx St has 2 running backs and a wide receiver who can take it to the house on any play. Our skill players basically outraced Sam Houston into the playoffs this weekend after falling way behind early. Be interesting to see how teams from totally different regions compare in style. For the Griz, the way to put the Bobcats away is a power running game. We haven't shown much ability to stop the bigger backs straight up the gut all season.

The Griz O-Line averages over 300 lbs, those bruisers will give the defensive line a hard time. and the skill positions are coming up. Hopefully Mariani is on top of his game.

Lionsrking
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Depends on which Texas State team shows up...if Bradley George gets time to throw, and he's on that day, they'll be tough for Montana to stop...Cameron Luke was IMO the best player (definitely the best WR) in the Southland Conference this year and will require extra attention...Bush and Zwingi are home run hitters at RB...offensive line is physical...

Defensively, they're not very good to put it bluntly...they're much better coached than they were last year, and don't give up as many big plays, but they're not much more than a speed bump.

My guess is this is a game that will require 35+ points to win.

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
The Griz O-Line averages over 300 lbs, those bruisers will give the defensive line a hard time. and the skill positions are coming up. Hopefully Mariani is on top of his game.

From the little that I've heard, it sounds like he won't be in the game at all.

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
From the little that I've heard, it sounds like he won't be in the game at all.

that's really not too awesome. Luckily ferriter can get the job done...and the backups saw some time last week and looked good.

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
that's really not too awesome. Luckily ferriter can get the job done...and the backups saw some time last week and looked good.

I think it's the same situation as with the CB's. They'll be missed but they've got stellar replacements.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I saw one article that he said he was fine, but he didn't look to fine when it happened xeekx My guess would be that he gets it feeling better this week and hopes for a game the following weekend and he could go then.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM

How fast are they when it's in the mid 20's and blowing snow @ 3500 feet in elevation. I noticed that San Marcos is only 619ft. COLD and OUT OF BREATH

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
I saw one article that he said he was fine, but he didn't look to fine when it happened xeekx My guess would be that he gets it feeling better this week and hopes for a game the following weekend and he could go then.

I was looking at in binoculars during the rest of the game and it looks like a high ankle sprain. He had to go back to the table once after getting off of it as well.

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Seriously looking at making the trip up thanks to the info some Griz fans posted over on BobcatFans. I would love to come visit Montana for the weekend!!!

:D xbowx xhurrayx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xhurrayx xbowx :D

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Seriously looking at making the trip up thanks to the info some Griz fans posted over on BobcatFans. I would love to come visit Montana for the weekend!!!

Might want to buy a winter coat firstxthumbsupx

I used to live in Texas and can firmly tell you that the coldest day of the winter in Texas is at least twenty degrees hotter than the end of fall here in Missoula.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM

PM me if you do, I am going to be at the in-laws, I NEED reasons to get out of the house :D xlolx

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Might want to buy a winter coat firstxthumbsupx

I used to live in Texas and can firmly tell you that the coldest day of the winter in Texas is at least twenty degrees hotter than the end of fall here in Missoula.

No doubt. I plan on it. But football warms the soul, especially in the mother(father?) land of fcs. xthumbsupx

gbhmt
November 23rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
No doubt. I plan on it. But football warms the soul, especially in the mother(father?) land of fcs. xthumbsupx

Hahaha well trust me, I'm from Montana and with my five layers I wore last year at the Wofford game, I could hardly take it. It was freezin.

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hahaha well trust me, I'm from Montana and with my five layers I wore last year at the Wofford game, I could hardly take it. It was freezin.

Ok... football, and suds warm the soul... xbeerchugx

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM

Put on the beer coat. Went to a house on saturday with free beer, hotdogs, and marshmallow's roasting over an open fire. MMMM

Pattycakes
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM

Yup just gotta get your beer blanket on xnodx

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Put on the beer coat. Went to a house on saturday with free beer, hotdogs, and marshmallow's roasting over an open fire. MMMM

Helps that I'm always looking for cold. Maybe there are some Montana ladies I can keep warm... Grrrr hehe

Screamin_Eagle174
November 23rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
The committee must have had a sense of humor... more bobcats for the Griz to prey upon....

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Helps that I'm always looking for cold. Maybe there are some Montana ladies I can keep warm... Grrrr hehe

Montana women are one of a kind. My friend from new york who goes here says that Montana is dynamite for women. So I think you'll be very pleased.

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Montana women are one of a kind. My friend from new york who goes here says that Montana is dynamite for women. So I think you'll be very pleased.

If like the sound of that... so long as they don't look like Cap'nCat xsmhx

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
By the way. I'm excited as heck about this game. TxSt has never played Montana, so regardless of site I'd be thrilled to see the Griz play. The fact that the game is in Montana and I may actually get to go, is just a great opportunity. I like how our 'Cats have played on the road this year.

bobcathusband
November 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Forecast is for a high of 39 and a low of 25...not terrible.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMT0231?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

When we played UNI and home in Dec '05 I think it was about 28 degrees.

El Gato
November 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Also considering making the trip up there, but gotta discuss this with the significant other. The most recent long trip I can remember the Bobcats taking was against FBS Kentucky, and that didn't fare to well last year.

No stupid attempts at returning a punt leading to fumbles, or poor decisions leading to Int.'s and this Bobcat offense can really make some noise. This offense was the #1 ranked offense at one point during the season, and as SFA and TSU saw, can easily post 60+ points when they are really clicking. Granted, TxState will be facing a much tougher Defense but that is not to say that the talent is plentiful on the offensive side of the ball. The big question mark going into this game is going to be the Defense.

As for the comparison from Southern Utah and Northern Colorado, those must be taken with a grain of salt as the Bobcat football team that showed up to those games is completely different than the current team. Heck, just take a look at bobcatfans.com around that time and you'll see a majority of posters calling for the coaches head. Most were even wondering if the Bobcats would win another game. Completely different team, and if this "new" team shows up this Sat. then it could be an interesting game.

BobcatSymphony
November 23rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
Forecast is for a high of 39 and a low of 25...not terrible.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMT0231?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

When we played UNI and home in Dec '05 I think it was about 28 degrees.

What's different about cold in Missoula and San Marcos I think will be the humidity. We get a lot of moisture in our air that thickens things up, making it easier to stay warm I think... But it'll be a bit dryer up there I believe, making any wind stinging.

Grizaholic17
November 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
What's different about cold in Missoula and San Marcos I think will be the humidity. We get a lot of moisture in our air that thickens things up, making it easier to stay warm I think... But it'll be a bit dryer up there I believe, making any wind stinging.

Wa/Griz does block wind pretty well

Cleets
November 23rd, 2008, 11:36 PM

Yes...
I hear a lot about speed (usually from the absolute wrong sources) xlolx

I heard about Yale's team speed (they lost yesterday)
I head about McNeese States speed early in the season (they're now ranked like 104th)

over and over with the speed... xlolx
it never makes any sense to me to talk about speed when two teams haven't met...

(case in point: Arkee Whitlock)

Arkee was a player headed to the pro football hall of fame before he ever played a post season game
after the game - he was just another running back who got 80 yards on a million carries - of no importance

Speed... xlolx it should only be referenced "post game"

xoopsx

veinup
November 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Glad to hear that some Texas State fans are coming up! Welcome, welcome...

I just wanted to state that the past couple 1st round playoff games I've attended at washington grizzly have been cold as balls, and then it seems 20 degrees colder when the griz lose. Hoping this year will be different.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yes...

I head about McNeese States speed early in the season (they're now ranked like 104th)

it never makes any sense to me to talk about speed when two teams haven't met...

Arkee was a player headed to the pro football hall of fame before he ever played a post season game
after the game - he was just another running back who got 80 yards on a million carries - of no importance

xoopsx

Not to mention the fact that Southern teams with all the speed at their disposal are a combined 1-16 in the playoffs at Wa Griz. With all the speed in the Southern teams you'd think it would look a little different than that. It took a Wofford team with that crazy, well run option attack to finally break the curse and because of that one win I see people that aren't even from the SoCon trying to latch on to that win. I just can't wait to actually see a team of Gazelle's show up here in Missoula like they have in the past. I'll have to watch replays of the game next Sunday in slow motion so I will know what happened.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Not to mention the fact that Southern teams with all the speed at their disposal are a combined 1-16 in the playoffs at Wa Griz. With all the speed in the Southern teams you'd think it would look a little different than that. It took a Wofford team with that crazy, well run option attack to finally break the curse and because of that one win I see people that aren't even from the SoCon trying to latch on to that win. I just can't wait to actually see a team of Gazelle's show up here in Missoula like they have in the past. I'll have to watch replays of the game next Sunday in slow motion so I will know what happened.

I'm not gonna say anything about our team speed and that UM should look out for us. I think we have a strong offense that is dangerous when all the pieces work at once, and a defense that can show signs good play at times but hasn't had that one spectacular game to show they've made it yet.

I'm looking forward to how our teams match up this weekend. I'm getting ready to reserve my flights tomorrow while at work or on Tuesday, depending on when my direct deposit goes in. Hope to see this bunch in Missoula come Saturday!!!

veinup
November 24th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Anybody know when student tickets go on sale here?

WyomingGrizFan
November 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Interesting point. Quite actually, when it does come to speedy players from different regions being met in the Play-offs by the Griz, the one team that still sticks in my gut is the Georgia Southern team from 1989. They didn't necessarily have any faster guys in the RB/WR positions, though it seemed like they did, but it was their offensive line that was most definitely speedy. Hell, they had a center hiking the ball and he was only 210 lbs. but he was still carrying that Championship Ring on his finger from the previous year. They were quick off the ball and fast into their blocks, both on the line and downfield, before anyone knew what was happening. That's where the Griz have suffered mightily. Clean precise execution with speed to burn on crisp blocking, all over the place. That's when I start sweating blood when I see that happening.

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Tomorrow morning for five dollars. Not sure if they are in the Adams Center, but for sure at the source.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Tomorrow morning for five dollars. Not sure if they are in the Adams Center, but for sure at the source.

Is there a link online? I'd like to snatch one up beforehand, regardless of traditional attendance figures for first round games.

veinup
November 24th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Tomorrow morning? ****, I wanted to sleep in...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm not gonna say anything about our team speed and that UM should look out for us. I think we have a strong offense that is dangerous when all the pieces work at once, and a defense that can show signs good play at times but hasn't had that one spectacular game to show they've made it yet.

I'm looking forward to how our teams match up this weekend. I'm getting ready to reserve my flights tomorrow while at work or on Tuesday, depending on when my direct deposit goes in. Hope to see this bunch in Missoula come Saturday!!!
Well now, you see there is a usable post for discussion purposes my friend. I just get sick and tired of hearing how much faster this team or that team is from guys that really have no idea how fast each others teams really are. Unless you're App. State it's just silly talk. I can see App's speed from the games I've watched on TV and comparing them to other teams played.

Get in touch via pm when you know your itinerary and we'll get you some beers Friday night before the game and get you set up with some tailgate experience as well.

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Is there a link online? I'd like to snatch one up beforehand, regardless of traditional attendance figures for first round games.

Those are just student tickets. Everybody else has to pay $25 and not sure on the link, but if you go to montanagrizzlies.com their should be easily found info there.

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Tomorrow morning? ****, I wanted to sleep in...

Don't worry about getting up early. Since most kids will be home for the holidays and you have to pay five bucks, they won't come close to selling all 4,000. Just make sure you get it by Tuesday night before they go on sale to the general public.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Well now, you see there is a usable post for discussion purposes my friend. I just get sick and tired of hearing how much faster this team or that team is from guys that really have no idea how fast each others teams really are. Unless you're App. State it's just silly talk. I can see App's speed from the games I've watched on TV and comparing them to other teams played.

Get in touch via pm when you know your itinerary and we'll get you some beers Friday night before the game and get you set up with some tailgate experience as well.

http://www.firthessence.net/ibf/inside_bobcat_football.htm

That would be the best I can provide as insight for our team and players. Our offensive playmakers throughout the season have been Bradley George at QB, Karrington Bush at RB, Cameron Luke at WR. Stan Zwinggi is also a good RB that has a little more power on the run. But he is one of the faster players on the team.

EDIT: Unfortunately, that link shows our win against Nicholls only. Not sure how to access the rest of the season.

veinup
November 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Don't worry about getting up early. Since most kids will be home for the holidays and you have to pay five bucks, they won't come close to selling all 4,000. Just make sure you get it by Tuesday night before they go on sale to the general public.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Hoping I can get a guest pass too though. Can't remember if they do that for the playoffs or not...

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. Hoping I can get a guest pass too though. Can't remember if they do that for the playoffs or not...

Yeah ten bucks. Two tickets for 15 bucks is a pretty good deal. I hope they actually give us a ticket instead of just being on our griz cards.

veinup
November 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM
The ticket-on-griz-card is such garbage. I've heard that it's actually hurting attendance. Hopefully they change it back at some point..

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM
http://www.firthessence.net/ibf/inside_bobcat_football.htm

That would be the best I can provide as insight for our team and players. Our offensive playmakers throughout the season have been Bradley George at QB, Karrington Bush at RB, Cameron Luke at WR. Stan Zwinggi is also a good RB that has a little more power on the run. But he is one of the faster players on the team.

EDIT: Unfortunately, that link shows our win against Nicholls only. Not sure how to access the rest of the season.

Thanks for the link...If you want the Griz highlights you can check them out here:
http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/event.aspx?e=30&m=18
Just click on the game files-and then click multimedia. As I said, it's tough to compare speed but I think you'll recognize some from Mariani, Ferriter, Reynolds, and even some nifty running in the MSU game from one of our D lineman by the name of Mercer.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
bump

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM

As stated, the tickets for students is like any other game, only that it costs 5$ for us this time. I am sitting with my family for this game though. Interesting to see how many make it to this game. I remember last year tickets were more like $20 instead of $25. Not a big difference, but still.

McNeese75
November 24th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Yes...

xoopsx

xrolleyesx They would still stomp a considerable size mudhole in Harvard xcoffeex

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
xrolleyesx They would still stomp a considerable size mudhole in Harvard xcoffeex

xlolx xlolx

Bobcat94
November 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
How fast are they when it's in the mid 20's and blowing snow @ 3500 feet in elevation. I noticed that San Marcos is only 619ft. COLD and OUT OF BREATH

Ha! Cold fine, whatever, when we played UNI in the semi's in '05 it was in the low 20's. Last I checked the game is at 1 and forecast is 30's. Altitude maybe, but not the "cold".

Good God it's Texas, not California. Weather sucks here no matter what time of year.....Hot or Cold these kids have seen it. High School ball Starts at 100 degrees in August and finishes in the 30's of December. After seeing the 100's it's refreshing to see the 30's.:D

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Ha! Cold fine, whatever, when we played UNI in the semi's in '05 it was in the low 20's. Last I checked the game is at 1 and forecast is 30's. Altitude maybe, but not the "cold".

Good God it's Texas, not California. Weather sucks here no matter what time of year.....Hot or Cold these kids have seen it. High School ball Starts at 100 degrees in August and finishes in the 30's of December. After seeing the 100's it's refreshing to see the 30's.:D

UNI as in Northern Iowa? As in Dome Stadium? I'm confused. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

bcrawf
November 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
We played in San Marcos in 05. It was well into the 40s at game time...

Bobcat94
November 24th, 2008, 04:23 PM
UNI as in Northern Iowa? As in Dome Stadium? I'm confused. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

No dude, the game was played in San Marcos, outside. It was colder in San Marcos than it was in Iowa that day. Y'all act like it doesn't freeze down here or something.

Bobcat94
November 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM
We played in San Marcos in 05. It was well into the 40s at game time...

20's I swear! Look at the stats! I remember reading it on the car thermostat....

bcrawf
November 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Here is a link to the box score. It lists the temp as 43 degrees with a light wind. You have no idea what you are getting into in Missoula. Just ask UNI..

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/uni14.html

80 Griz
November 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
i hope it freezes on saturday to show texas st what cold actually is

80 Griz
November 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
20's I swear! Look at the stats! I remember reading it on the car thermostat....

you might want to get ur car checked

mlbowl
November 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
No dude, the game was played in San Marcos, outside. It was colder in San Marcos than it was in Iowa that day. Y'all act like it doesn't freeze down here or something.

I was stationed at Sheppard AFB...I have experienced the harsh Texas "winters":p Seriously, Montana is a different kind of coldxnodx

GolfingGriz
November 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
You guys lost that game against UNI. Are you arguing that you have played in the cold before, or that you can win in the cold?

buckp
November 24th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Beat those Bobcats by 32 points last week....xeekx
So, I'll stay with a 30 point win over these Bobcats. :p xthumbsupx

GO GRIZ! xbowx

Proud Griz Man
November 24th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Beat those Bobcats by 32 points last week....xeekx
So, I'll stay with a 30 point win over these Bobcats. :p xthumbsupx

GO GRIZ! xbowx

Thanks Buck. The Griz will give it a great effort.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Bobcat94
November 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Here is a link to the box score. It lists the temp as 43 degrees with a light wind. You have no idea what you are getting into in Missoula. Just ask UNI..

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2005-2006/uni14.html

Well **** if it doesn't say 43 on the Bobcat archives also....

UNI, What do you know about weather, y'all play in a dome.....:D

It's going to be 39 and partly sunny with no wind....Hell, I've played golf in worse. Speaking of golf, y'all actually have a country club up there in Missoula?? Is it a goat ranch or what??

WyomingGrizFan
November 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about the weather myself either. Once you go through the warm-ups and play a couple series the players are warmed up somewhat by that time anyways. Now if you were talking of like the Ice Bowl that the Dallas Cowboys / Green Bay Packers were in, what was it?...1967?...now that's not just cold...it was frigid!!!...minus zero with the wind chill. This time of year in Missoula I wouldn't really worry about the temperature in place of the precipitation; if it's raining/snowing at the time. That would make the ball at least slippery. Damn good field surface especially designed for nordic weather conditions so that shouldn't be a problem/factor. Hellgate winds can be though so watch for wind velocity as well. Hate to have either as a determinant though.

It's when the team members have to stand on the side lines for ten minutes at a time that the cold 'might' have an effect. So whoever has sustained drives might just win out in the end. But hell, it ain't even December yet.

Ronbo
November 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
It won't be that cold. High is 39 that day. Game starts at 12:00 and it will be 30-32 at kickoff. That will feel like summer to our guys. I notice it's 70-72 all week in San Marcos.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Well, here's my itinerary for the trip. There are a few others I think either making the same trip or meeting up after the first leg.

FRIDAY, Nov28 Depart McAllen for Las Vegas, arriving at 1005pm

SATURDAY, Nov29 Depart Las Vegas for Missoula, arriving at 1005am

SUNDAY, Nov30 Depart Missoula for Las Vegas, arriving at 1145am
Depart Las Vegas for McAllen, arriving at 825pm

The group I'm meeting with will be staying in LV for the night, then in Missoula to enjoy postgame activities before returning Sunday.

griz37
November 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
We heard the same thing last year from Griz fans about the weather & the crowd noise & how it was going to hurt Wofford & we saw how that went. So let's not get too excited Griz fans. Save yourself for Saturday!

Cat79
November 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM

That was what I considered the turnaround game for the Bobcats this year. The team seemed to improve each week after that loss.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well, here's my itinerary for the trip. There are a few others I think either making the same trip or meeting up after the first leg.

FRIDAY, Nov28 Depart McAllen for Las Vegas, arriving at 1005pm

SATURDAY, Nov29 Depart Las Vegas for Missoula, arriving at 1005am

SUNDAY, Nov30 Depart Missoula for Las Vegas, arriving at 1145am
Depart Las Vegas for McAllen, arriving at 825pm

The group I'm meeting with will be staying in LV for the night, then in Missoula to enjoy postgame activities before returning Sunday.

Wow Bobsym, you are really cutting it close for making the game. Your travel agent may not know that it can be real tricky getting into Missoula unless it's absolutely clear. Hope for no delays man.

WyomingGrizFan
November 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Weather report sounds pretty good so far, except for the 20 % chance of rain, temperature in the low forties and partly cloudy: http://www.findlocalweather.com/forecast/mt/missoula.html

Hope all have a safe trip to and fro.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Wow Bobsym, you are really cutting it close for making the game. Your travel agent may not know that it can be real tricky getting into Missoula unless it's absolutely clear. Hope for no delays man.

We're flying AllegiantAir, recommended by some Griz fans because of their direct flight from Vegas to Missoula. If we get there and make it to the gate in time for kickoff, I'll be happy. We can share rounds after the game.

patssle
November 24th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Not to mention the fact that Southern teams with all the speed at their disposal are a combined 1-16 in the playoffs at Wa Griz. With all the speed in the Southern teams you'd think it would look a little different than that.

And Montana is 0-4 in Huntsville, Naca-nowhere and Lake Charles. Is their speed mythical too?

It's home field advantage, it kinda helps.

KNUTS
November 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Delays coming from Vegas could be a lot more than just weather.xoopsx

Bobsym there is a really nice Griz bar in Vegas called Torrey Pines if your stuck in Vegas for any reason.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Delays coming from Vegas could be a lot more than just weather.xoopsx

Bobsym there is a really nice Griz bar in Vegas called Torrey Pines if your stuck in Vegas for any reason.

Thanks for the heads up. Hoping for no delays, wanna meet you guys and have a great day in Missoula.

BTW, PM for any contact info if interested. I know someone on our fansite offered to get in contact with us once in Missoula.

Cat79
November 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM

We played App State (in Boone) in 2004 and lost by 7

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
And Montana is 0-4 in Huntsville, Naca-nowhere and Lake Charles. Is their speed mythical too?

It's home field advantage, it kinda helps.

Glad to see you agree with me.

Silenoz
November 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM
What is all this "speed" talk?xlolx

Its ridiculous when ESPN hypes it when talking about the SEC, and its ridiculous here. Both teams have athletes, just like every other team in the Big Sky, Southland, CAA, SOCON, etc.

KNUTS
November 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Hoping for no delays, wanna meet you guys and have a great day in Missoula.

BTW, PM for any contact info if interested. I know someone on our fansite offered to get in contact with us once in Missoula.

Unfortuanetly I'll be stuck in Texas for this one... Go figure. I'm a big Red's Bar guy so I would start there, but you won't be disappointed wherever you go. You'll probably get sick of how many people ask you what you think of Missoula. We mostly ask because we like to hear how great the place we live is, but also because we really do want you to enjoy yourself... before and after the game that is!!!xsmiley_wix

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 08:25 PM
We played App State (in Boone) in 2004 and lost by 7

I was referencing App's speed this year against a team we played last year, not the 2004 teams. The speed in 2004 must not have been that big of a deal either as we played JMU in the chipper and both teams were just a couple of big ol' slowpokes.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM
What is all this "speed" talk?xlolx

Its ridiculous when ESPN hypes it when talking about the SEC, and its ridiculous here. Both teams have athletes, just like every other team in the Big Sky, Southland, CAA, SOCON, etc.
My point exactly...enough with the silly talk. We've heard about the "speed" from the Southland for so long now it's ridiculous.

Unfortuanetly I'll be stuck in Texas for this one... Go figure. I'm a big Red's Bar guy so I would start there, but you won't be disappointed wherever you go. You'll probably get sick of how many people ask you what you think of Missoula. We mostly ask because we like to hear how great the place we live is, but also because we really do want you to enjoy yourself... before and after the game that is!!!xsmiley_wix

They wouldn't let you out of jail for this one huh KNUTS? I'll start a tab for you at Red's and I'll make sure you treat the TX ST boys real nice. I might throw a couple in for myself as well.

BobcatSymphony
November 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
They wouldn't let you out of jail for this one huh KNUTS? I'll start a tab for you at Red's and I'll make sure you treat the TX ST boys real nice. I might throw a couple in for myself as well.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx

KNUTS
November 24th, 2008, 08:47 PM

If only this wasn't truexbawlingx The P I laws a really strict down here!
and hey why don't you throw yourself a few instead of a couple. I'll be out soon enough! Just make sure you keep sending the cigarettes!!

GrizzlyBill
November 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM

So John, why is that?
When are you Southland boys going to rise up again? Maybe on Saturday? I expect a good game, won by the Griz 31 to 21.

The Griz seem inspired. Even when sputtering on offense lately, the D has held games in check, until the O has woke up and drove for some scores. The Griz defense right now is an unsung machine. I love watching this unit play. After the early Crawford run to the 2, we held the best rushing team in the BSC to 4 cracks at the goal line from the 2. After 4 rushes, Colt Andersen (I think it was) recovered the fumble on the 5. I'm thinking the Griz D might be the best in the playoffs. The Griz O is more suspect. The place I'd like to see improvement is in protecting the quarterback. Way too many sacks allowed.

Be an honor to play these Texas guys, win or lose. Gotta love the Playoffs! NO INJURIES

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
If only this wasn't truexbawlingx The P I laws a really strict down here!
and hey why don't you throw yourself a few instead of a couple. I'll be out soon enough! Just make sure you keep sending the cigarettes!!

Will do. i hope the Aryan's don't raise the rates on you keeping that little latin boy.

KNUTS
November 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Will do. i hope the Aryan's don't raise the rates on you keeping that little latin boy.

You mean this isn't a coed prison?!xlolx

fencer24
November 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Because we always try to be gracious to our visitors, except for MSU, (which the classier of us just ignore), for the first time in my life, I will be saying something that I never thought I would.

"Welcome Bobcats."

Still can't believe it. xeekx

darussian12
November 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
any griz fans exiled in texas looking to take an insane road trip to missoula...for it to be worth my while cost wise and to not drive 25 hrs myself and die on the way i need 4 total so far i have 1 yes and lots of maybes from bobcat fans and i really want to make this game cause lord know we go to the playoffs all the time...im just too broke to fly and driving is super cheap just way insane to do it to missoula and back in 85 ish hrs but it will make for a fun weekend getaway and i miss my snow...yall have snow up there by now right?

GOKATS
November 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Because we always try to be gracious to our visitors, except for MSU, (which the classier of us just ignore), for the first time in my life, I will be saying something that I never thought I would.

"Welcome Bobcats."

Still can't believe it. xeekx

I couldn't have said it better, "Go Bobcats!!!!!"

BTW, Bobcats, if the griz give ya any **** the good guys are only 200 miles east on I-90. Enjoy your trip to Montana and kick some griz ass!!!!

Grizaholic17
November 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
any griz fans exiled in texas looking to take an insane road trip to missoula...for it to be worth my while cost wise and to not drive 25 hrs myself and die on the way i need 4 total so far i have 1 yes and lots of maybes from bobcat fans and i really want to make this game cause lord know we go to the playoffs all the time...im just too broke to fly and driving is super cheap just way insane to do it to missoula and back in 85 ish hrs but it will make for a fun weekend getaway and i miss my snow...yall have snow up there by now right?

Oh what Global warming does to Montana's climate. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

txst_wtc
November 25th, 2008, 01:55 AM
We are very capable of beating ANY team in the championship field. Thats what a great offense gives you. Always in the game.

However, our defense is bad, very bad (we are almost last in the nation even vs our candy schedule); therefore, it is impossible for us to beat 4 of these teams in a row. Thats what a defense gives (or doesnt give) you.. consistency.

We have a solid QB, an explosive RB (averaging somehting like 8yds per carry over the last two years) and one of the most dominating WRs i have seen in a long time. Then each game we always have an offensive role player step up.

On defense we stink statistically. We give up a TON of yards but for some reason we always seem to make the plays when we need them.

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2008, 03:54 AM
We are very capable of beating ANY team in the championship field. Thats what a great offense gives you. Always in the game.

However, our defense is bad, very bad (we are almost last in the nation even vs our candy schedule); therefore, it is impossible for us to beat 4 of these teams in a row. Thats what a defense gives (or doesnt give) you.. consistency.

We have a solid QB, an explosive RB (averaging somehting like 8yds per carry over the last two years) and one of the most dominating WRs i have seen in a long time. Then each game we always have an offensive role player step up.

On defense we stink statistically. We give up a TON of yards but for some reason we always seem to make the plays when we need them.

I found the top 3 receivers to have astonishing average yds/catch. They each had over 16 yds/play on average. With 17.7 yds/play being the most by Cameron Luke.

Ferriter and mariani clock in at 17.2 yd/play and 19 yd/play respectively. And that's all we got.

One thing the Griz love to control is the clock. We also love our punt return game. Hold us on these fronts and you might have us beat. under 400 yds average per game is less than stellar for a Montana offense...although we can move the ball when we want to.

patssle
November 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
When are you Southland boys going to rise up again? Maybe on Saturday? I expect a good game, won by the Griz 31 to 21.

When the conference isn't getting hit by hurricanes and resorting to FBS games to fund our programs and help recovery from hurricanes.

One hurricane could destroy what App State has built. The SLC was a solid conference with multiple playoff teams and going deep into the playoffs until Rita and Katrina.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
When the conference isn't getting hit by hurricanes and resorting to FBS games to fund our programs and help recovery from hurricanes.

One hurricane could destroy what App State has built. The SLC was a solid conference with multiple playoff teams and going deep into the playoffs until Rita and Katrina.

Yeah I'll give you this...you are some tough SOB's that can definitely battle back from adversity. You guys have had a tough go of it the last 5 yrs.

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I'm not too worried about Texas State's offense. Our defense has been the most improved aspect of our team this year, and it managed to hold the best offense in the nation (for the last two years, it's not a recent development) to four scores in it's first game of the year.

Benne
November 25th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I will be there, ejoying beverages and football.

HPCAT
November 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not too worried about Texas State's offense. Our defense has been the most improved aspect of our team this year, and it managed to hold the best offense in the nation (for the last two years, it's not a recent development) to four scores in it's first game of the year.

You nailed it, first game of the year, if you played the Cal Poly offense from the last game of the year they would have probably put 50 on you.

TXST is the most balanced offense in the top 10, you can shut down one player like Luke and a RB breaks a screen for 91. 3 quality RBs in and out the whole game. TXST has just started using the TE more as folks key on Luke. He is a monster, watch the video where he knocks 2 SHST DBs 5 yards back in the endzone. He will be a key to setting up the longer routes to Rivas or Luke that will burn you for TDs.

TXST did not start the season well, we will soon see how much we have really improved.

jmufan999
November 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
the nicer the fans are to each other (um, this thread is a perfect example), the more both teams know who is going to win... convincingly.

fans are infrequently nice to each other when they feel like they can beat the other team.

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You nailed it, first game of the year, if you played the Cal Poly offense from the last game of the year they would have probably put 50 on you.

TXST is the most balanced offense in the top 10, you can shut down one player like Luke and a RB breaks a screen for 91. 3 quality RBs in and out the whole game. TXST has just started using the TE more as folks key on Luke. He is a monster, watch the video where he knocks 2 SHST DBs 5 yards back in the endzone. He will be a key to setting up the longer routes to Rivas or Luke that will burn you for TDs.

TXST did not start the season well, we will soon see how much we have really improved.

Cal Poly would not put 50 on us. They would be able to put 50 on you however. I still say if you want to win this game you will need to play some defense. Your best chance of winning will be if the game is in the teens.

HPCAT
November 25th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Cal Poly would not put 50 on us. They would be able to put 50 on you however. I still say if you want to win this game you will need to play some defense. Your best chance of winning will be if the game is in the teens.

I believe the best chance for a TXST win is a high scoring scoring game, in the 40's, and no turnovers for easy scores. All of our losses were due to turnovers in our red zone that led to easy scores.

Our pass protection has been great all year, if George has time to throw, we will score our average.

So, you think your defense is better than Wisconsin's ?

KNUTS
November 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM

When are you leaving? I will be in Fort Worth/Dallas tonight (driving right through Bobcat country) Cowboy game Thursday and Fort Worth the rest of the weekend. I'd think about it, but that might not be the best fit for my work schedule.

That is an insane road trip, i'm doing it over christmas to trade in my vehicle, not looking forward to it.

KNUTS
November 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I believe the best chance for a TXST win is a high scoring scoring game, in the 40's, and no turnovers for easy scores. All of our losses were due to turnovers in our red zone that led to easy scores.

Our pass protection has been great all year, if George has time to throw, we will score our average.

Yes! as is our dairy products, english dialect, and all-a-round way of lifexlolx

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM

You will not score 40 on us. Your best chance of winning is 17-16 or something along those lines. Our QB pressure has improved each week along with our secondary. We only gave Portland State 195 Yards passing which was over 200 yards below their season average. You may be able to run the ball on us which would play into a low scoring game.

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 12:56 PM

They only put 29 on Wisconsin in regulation.

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Our defense improved far beyond how much CP's offense improved. Our D is full of young players, while CP's offense was the best in the nation last year and lost ONE starter off of its squad. I doubt their offense has improved that much, unless they just lost all of their skill in the offseason.

TXST_CAT
November 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
PASS SACKS ALLOWED

Rank/Name/Gm/TotalYds/PG

16/Texas St./12 /13.085 /1.08

115/Montana/12 /44.0287 /3.67

PASS SACKS

RankNameGmTotalYdsPG

30/Montana/12 /28.0176 /2.33

62/Texas St./12 /23.0146 /1.92

Tackles for Loss Allowed
Rank/Name/Gm/Solo/Ast/Yds/Total/PG

13/Texas St./12/47/12/199 /53.0 /4.42

96/Montana/12/65/44/364/ 87.0 /7.25

Tackles for Loss

76/Texas St./12/51/34/240 /68.0 /5.67

85/Montana/12/48/32/288 /64.0 /5.33

I say we stall your offense and our balanced attack gives your defense fits allowing us to take more shots at the endzone. If you guys are right about the cold weather making hits hurt more then your QB better be ready for some pain. Our defensive stats are skewed but go ahead and believe we wont be ready. xwhistlex

gbhmt
November 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
PASS SACKS ALLOWED

Rank/Name/Gm/TotalYds/PG

16/Texas St./12 /13.085 /1.08

115/Montana/12 /44.0287 /3.67

PASS SACKS

RankNameGmTotalYdsPG

30/Montana/12 /28.0176 /2.33

62/Texas St./12 /23.0146 /1.92

Tackles for Loss Allowed
Rank/Name/Gm/Solo/Ast/Yds/Total/PG

13/Texas St./12/47/12/199 /53.0 /4.42

96/Montana/12/65/44/364/ 87.0 /7.25

Tackles for Loss

76/Texas St./12/51/34/240 /68.0 /5.67

85/Montana/12/48/32/288 /64.0 /5.33

I say we stall your offense and our balanced attack gives your defense fits allowing us to take more shots at the endzone. If you guys are right about the cold weather making hits hurt more then your QB better be ready for some pain. Our defensive stats are skewed but go ahead and believe we wont be ready. xwhistlex

Hahaha you really think every single Griz fan doesn't already know we get sacked like crazy? Think of it this way. We get sacked like crazy. And we still score points. And have scored a lot on FOUR teams that are higher up than TXST on tackles for loss. So I guess you could look at it as the offense getting a nice break.

veinup
November 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I couldn't have said it better, "Go Bobcats!!!!!"

BTW, Bobcats, if the griz give ya any **** the good guys are only 200 miles east on I-90. Enjoy your trip to Montana and kick some griz ass!!!!

Can't we all just be happy Montana brothers?

Got my tickets yesterday, am ****ing stoked. Go Griz.

BCS Sucks
November 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=HPCAT;1228369]I believe the best chance for a TXST win is a high scoring scoring game, in the 40's, and no turnovers for easy scores. All of our losses were due to turnovers in our red zone that led to easy scores.

Our pass protection has been great all year, if George has time to throw, we will score our average

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx 40 points on Montana stop your hilarious

BCS Sucks
November 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM

40 points on montanaxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hahaha you really think every single Griz fan doesn't already know we get sacked like crazy? Think of it this way. We get sacked like crazy. And we still score points. And have scored a lot on FOUR teams that are higher up than TXST on tackles for loss. So I guess you could look at it as the offense getting a nice break.

It's likely Montana isn't going to have to worry about sacks. It's likely that Texas State is not going to be able to stop Montana from running the football at will. I don't know if anybody's already noted this, but the Bobcats finished 80th in rushing defense, 111th in total defense, and 96th in scoring defense.

When Texas State plays Montana, the biggest difference between that situation and...say...playing McNeese State or Central Arkansas in the Southland this year is that the Bobcats will face an actual defense. Montana is 9th in scoring defense right now. McNeese finished 86th in scoring defense and Central Arkansas would have finished 67th (which would've pushed McNeese to 87th) if it had been in the rankings.

I think Texas State guys need to ask themselves who the Bobcats have beaten this year? McNeese? LOL!

McNeese is the only team that finished with a winning record that Texas State beat this year. That includes Texas State's 21-14 win over 3-8 D-II Angelo State. The Big Sky team Texas State needed to have fumble at the goal line to beat, Northern Colorado, finished 1-10 overall and 1-7 in the Big Sky.

Texas State may very well be the worst team in this year's playoffs. No way they'd be there if they'd played in the CAA, Big Sky, Southern, Great West, or MVC. Probably wouldn't even be there if they'd played in the MEAC or the Patriot. Maybe if they'd played in the OVC. Nothing is impossible, but Texas State playing again in the second round appears to be a very long shot.

JohnStOnge
November 25th, 2008, 07:05 PM
You will not score 40 on us. Your best chance of winning is 17-16 or something along those lines. .

I do disagree with you on that. If Texas State has any prayer of winning at all, it's associated with being able to score points. Very, very unlikely that they're going to be able to hold a playoff caliber team to something like 16 points. You have to realize that this is a team that finished ranked 96th in FCS scoring defense after giving up 31.3 points per game.

This is a team that gave up 35 points and 568 yards of offense to Northern Colorado. Defense is not their forte.

SeattleGriz
November 25th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I will be there, ejoying beverages and football.

Great! You have family in the area?

Spooney-Cat
November 25th, 2008, 08:18 PM
This team has come such a long way this year. To have the SLC championship was nothing short of a miracle but the guys worked hard, earned that trophy.

All the pressure is on Montana. They're the ones that have the ranking to hold up to. Our guys are going up there with nothing to lose. Is it Saturday yet?

xthumbsupx

Grizaholic17
November 25th, 2008, 08:20 PM
This team has come such a long way this year. To have the SLC championship was nothing short of a miracle but the guys worked hard, earned that trophy.

All the pressure is on Montana. They're the ones that have the ranking to hold up to. Our guys are going up there with nothing to lose. Is it Saturday yet?

xthumbsupx

Couldn't have said it any better myself. You guys are going to come out firing, and whenever a team gets to Wa/Griz, they are more fired up than anything else (until the noise)

bobcatfan06
November 25th, 2008, 08:21 PM
It's likely Montana isn't going to have to worry about sacks. It's likely that Texas State is not going to be able to stop Montana from running the football at will. I don't know if anybody's already noted this, but the Bobcats finished 80th in rushing defense, 111th in total defense, and 96th in scoring defense.

When Texas State plays Montana, the biggest difference between that situation and...say...playing McNeese State or Central Arkansas in the Southland this year is that the Bobcats will face an actual defense. Montana is 9th in scoring defense right now. McNeese finished 86th in scoring defense and Central Arkansas would have finished 67th (which would've pushed McNeese to 87th) if it had been in the rankings.

I think Texas State guys need to ask themselves who the Bobcats have beaten this year? McNeese? LOL!

McNeese is the only team that finished with a winning record that Texas State beat this year. That includes Texas State's 21-14 win over 3-8 D-II Angelo State. The Big Sky team Texas State needed to have fumble at the goal line to beat, Northern Colorado, finished 1-10 overall and 1-7 in the Big Sky.

Texas State may very well be the worst team in this year's playoffs. No way they'd be there if they'd played in the CAA, Big Sky, Southern, Great West, or MVC. Probably wouldn't even be there if they'd played in the MEAC or the Patriot. Maybe if they'd played in the OVC. Nothing is impossible, but Texas State playing again in the second round appears to be a very long shot.

I'm forwarding this to Coach Wright to hang in the locker room....xrulesx

Silenoz
November 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM

That some fan of some non-Montana team (on the internet) thinks you'll lose?

:p

bobcatfan06
November 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
That some fan of some non-Montana team (on the internet) thinks you'll lose?

:p

Nobody said I was going to tell him who said it...

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I do disagree with you on that. If Texas State has any prayer of winning at all, it's associated with being able to score points. Very, very unlikely that they're going to be able to hold a playoff caliber team to something like 16 points. You have to realize that this is a team that finished ranked 96th in FCS scoring defense after giving up 31.3 points per game.

This is a team that gave up 35 points and 568 yards of offense to Northern Colorado. Defense is not their forte.

So McNeese wasn't playoff caliber in 2006? xeyebrowx

bobcatfan06
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
So McNeese wasn't playoff caliber in 2006? xeyebrowx

He's talking about Texas State being able to hold a playoff caliber team to 16 points. Which is the honest to jeebus truth.

Silenoz
November 25th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Nobody said I was going to tell him who said it...
Haha

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2008, 08:31 PM
He's talking about Texas State being able to hold a playoff caliber team to 16 points. Which is the honest to jeebus truth.

Mea culpa. I see what you mean now, John.

GolfingGriz
November 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM

I dont think people are understanding what I am saying. I know Texas State wont put up 40 on us. When I am saying a low scoring game I mean that the only way I think they can win is if they hold us to around 14.

Cat79
November 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I dont think people are understanding what I am saying. I know Texas State wont put up 40 on us. When I am saying a low scoring game I mean that the only way I think they can win is if they hold us to around 14.

I will say this that anytime a game has these overtones the result will be both defenses step it up a notch to slow down the offenses. The score will be reflective of this type of game. This game will be in the twenties with the winning team by 14 at the most.

John is not all that on Texas State. He is a McNeese fan. They did not like the fact that Texas State went into their house and defeated them. :D

McNeese75
November 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I will say this that anytime a game has these overtones the result will be both defenses step it up a notch to slow down the offenses. The score will be reflective of this type of game. This game will be in the twenties with the winning team by 14 at the most.

John is not all that on Texas State. He is a McNeese fan. They did not like the fact that Texas State went into their house and defeated them. :D

Do you really think your defense can keep the Griz in the 20's? And by the way, John is all about the stats and will tell it like he sees it regardless of who the teams are. You are wasting your breath thinking he has a sour grapes attitude (sounds like more disrespect whining xlolx xpeacex ).

Ronbo
November 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Don't be surprised to see the Griz in the 20's. We went into Portland State with the game plan to keep their Offense off the field. We went to an 80% run Offense to eat clock. We ended up with a 43 minute to 16 minute time of possession difference at the end of the game and the final score was 29-12. Griz had 427 yards (309 rushing) against a poor Defense and held a high powered Offense to 210 yards. Look for the same game plan.

BCS Sucks
November 26th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Go ahead cause Montana is going to be fired up also since they got something to prove after losing to wofford in the first round last year

HPCAT
November 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Don't be surprised to see the Griz in the 20's. We went into Portland State with the game plan to keep their Offense off the field. We went to an 80% run Offense to eat clock. We ended up with a 43 minute to 16 minute time of possession difference at the end of the game and the final score was 29-12. Griz had 427 yards (309 rushing) against a poor Defense and held a high powered Offense to 210 yards. Look for the same game plan.

I tend to agree with your assessment, but one key point in the Portland State game is that PSU is once again a one dimensional offense. TXST is a top 10 offense with top 20 rushing and passing attacks.

PSU is dead last in rushing in the FCS, heck our 3rd leading rusher has more yards than their whole team.

UM will not be able to sit on the pass like PSU or the run like Poly, they will have to play honest defense against an offense that can burn them with many weapons.

Bush did not average over 8 yards a carry without breaking a few long runs to the house.

Ronbo
November 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
The game plan above was not dictated by a pass game. It was dictated by a need to stop a high powered offense. If we rush the ball on you effectively and keep the ball away from you then it could be a long afternoon. If you stop our run game it could be a very close game.

Grizaholic17
November 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Go ahead cause Montana is going to be fired up also since they got something to prove after losing to wofford in the first round last year

Most of this team doesn't know what playoffs are! xrolleyesx

gbhmt
November 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I tend to agree with your assessment, but one key point in the Portland State game is that PSU is once again a one dimensional offense. TXST is a top 10 offense with top 20 rushing and passing attacks.

PSU is dead last in rushing in the FCS, heck our 3rd leading rusher has more yards than their whole team.

UM will not be able to sit on the pass like PSU or the run like Poly, they will have to play honest defense against an offense that can burn them with many weapons.

Bush did not average over 8 yards a carry without breaking a few long runs to the house.

I think his point was whether your offense is better than PSU's or not, it's pretty darn ineffective when it's never on the field.

srgrizizen
November 26th, 2008, 01:09 PM

/joke

Lately we can't win on the road because they keep giving us home games first that we promptly lose.xlolx xlolx

GolfingGriz
November 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Thats a good point about the defenses stepping up. When we played EWU this year everybody thought that the game would be decided in the 40's. Somebody forgot to tell our defense and they decided to steal the show winning 19-3.

Grizaholic17
November 26th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Thats a good point about the defenses stepping up. When we played EWU this year everybody thought that the game would be decided in the 40's. Somebody forgot to tell our defense and they decided to steal the show winning 19-3.

And a 3rd string quarterback didn't help them! That EWU game really set the standard on our season!

Ronbo
November 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Montana is on a 7 game winning streak.

Montana has out scored it's last 7 opponents 241-65.

Montana out scored it's last 7 opponents by an average 34.42 to 9.2.

The last 7 opponents included 4 teams with 6 wins or better.

GOKATS
November 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Montana is on a 7 game winning streak.

Montana has out scored it's last 7 opponents 241-65.

Montana out scored it's last 7 opponents by an average 34.42 to 9.2.

The last 7 opponents included 4 teams with 6 wins or better.

xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xboringx

My god, what a blowhard!!

Go Bobcats!!!!xthumbsupx

Ronbo
November 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Just throwing out some FACTS son. Facts is facts, boy! Nothing blowhard about that. xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx

GOKATS
November 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Just throwing out some FACTS son. Facts is facts, boy! Nothing blowhard about that. xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx

For you to call me son, or boy you have to be one really old SOB, and I don't think that's the case. As I recall you've only been a bandwagon griz fan since '96 when you moved from calyfornie. Hell, I've got underwear older than that.xlolx

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Here are the rankings of this season's Texas State opponents in terms of total and scoring defense:

Northern Colorado 100th total, 90th scoring
Southern Utah 106th total, 102nd scoring
McNeese State 65th total, 89th scoring
Central Arkansas 98th total, 68th scoring
Stephen F. Austin 112th total, 119th scoring
Northwestern State 88th total, 82nd scoring
Southeastern Louisiana 107th total, 104th scoring
Nicholls State 105th total, 111th scoring
Sam Houston State 111th total, 108th scoring

They played SMU. SMU finished 119th in total defense and 117th in scoring defense among FBS schools.

They played Angelo State. I don't have easy access to where 3-8 Angelo State ranks in Division II. However Angelo State gave up 24 points per game and held Texas State to 21.

I really, really think that an honest assessment of Texas State's offense needs to include an honest appraisal of the types of defenses the Bobcats have played against. The rankings above for include transitional teams. So you're talking about a total of 123 FCS defenses. The median ranking is 62nd. So every FCS teamTexas State has played against is ranked below the median in both total and scoring defense.

To put SMU's defense into perspective: The Mustangs never gave up fewer than 30 points this season. There are 120 teams in FBS including transitional Western Kentucky (which is ranked higher than SMU in both total and scoring defense).

There's a pretty good possibilitiy that Texas State's impressive offensive numbers are a function of playing a bunch of weak defenses.

We'll find out, because Montana's ranked 29th in total defense and 9th in scoring defense among FCS and FCS transitionals. It may not be the most dominant defense ever, but it's a totally different animal than the FCS defenses Texas State played during the regular season.

JohnStOnge
November 26th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Of course I didn't like it. But, that doesn't change the reality. The reality is that Texas State hasn't beaten anybody this year that could play reasonably good defense. And McNeese is the only team, defense or no defense, that Texas State beat that could even be characterized as at least "average" in caliber. Texas State's wins are over weak teams with weak defenses and that's not what they're going to be playing this weekend.