PDA

View Full Version : Colgate at Villanova

Pages : [1] 2

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
An interesting matchup in Philadelphia.

Villanova, which surprisingly did not get a top 4 seed, was tested by Penn and Lehigh, Colgate was blown out by Stony Brook, pretty well handled by Furman and beat Coastal Carolina thanks to a flat-out miracle. So the teams have definitely had their ups and downs.

Andy Talley is not a great fan of the Patriot League, while Villanova is one of the few teams Dick Biddle has never beaten.

The teams faced off in the 1997 playoffs, with #1 overall seed Villanova breaking a very close game open in the 4th period for a 49-28 over #16 overall seed Colgate. (Villanova's season ended the following week vs. Youngstown State). Villanova has also beaten Colgate twice in regular season games since 1997.

Injury report?

Thoughts?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think this is a good matchup for Colgate. I saw Villanova when Lehigh played them and while they are athletic they are beatable IMO. Clark was making his 2nd career start and could never adjust to 'Nova's speed on defense. He threw 4 of his 10 picks on the season in that game. Lehigh's defense did well to keep 'Nova under wraps until they eventually wilted in 85* heat towards the end of the 3rd quarter. 'Nova has big tall WR's and a solid RB. Talley switched QB's after nearly losing to Penn in OT. Whitney i belive has avoided the mistakes that plagued Young and done workman like job moving the team. 'Nova's strength is their defense. If Lehigh played them now with a more experienced Clark and Co. i'd give Lehigh a punchers chance. I'd say Colgates chances are better if they can adapt to 'Nova's speed.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
I think this is a good matchup for Colgate. I saw Villanova when Lehigh played them and while they are athletic they are beatable IMO. Clark was making his 2nd career start and could never adjust to 'Nova's speed on defense. He threw 4 of his 10 picks on the season in that game. Lehigh's defense did well to keep 'Nova under wraps until they eventually wilted in 85* heat towards the end of the 3rd quarter. 'Nova has big tall WR's and a solid RB. Talley switched QB's after nearly losing to Penn in OT. Whitney i belive has avoided the mistakes that plagued Young and done workman like job moving the team. 'Nova's strength is their defense. If Lehigh played them now with a more experienced Clark and Co. i'd give Lehigh a punchers chance. I'd say Colgate's chances are better if they can adapt to 'Nova's speed.

This will be difficult.

paward
November 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Villanova is a very good team, I would even say great. They were one hail mary away from being #1 in the country. Do not think it is not going to be a long day against them.

TheValleyRaider
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Excited for this one

Nova's tough run defense versus Colgate's hard-driving run game

Scott left yesterday's game, hopefully he's alright for Saturday

Let's Go 'Gate!

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Villanova also stops the run as well as anyone in the country. I think this game stacks up very well for the cats.. i'll be there just like i was there the last time Villanova faced colgate in the first round of the playoffs

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
If you look at 'Nova's schedule the only games they really controlled was Lehigh and URI, every other game was close. They were far from dominating more like highly efficient. I really think Colgate can make real game of this if they come ready to play.

DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT
8/30 @ No. 8 West Virginia 0-1 (0-0) L 48-21
9/13 Lehigh 1-1 (0-0) W 33-14
9/20 @ Pennsylvania 2-1 (0-0) W 20-14 OT
9/27 Richmond 3-1 (1-0) W 26-20
10/04 @ William & Mary 4-1 (2-0) W 38-28
10/18 @ Rhode Island 5-1 (3-0) W 44-7
10/25 James Madison 5-2 (3-1) L 23-19
11/01 @ Northeastern 6-2 (4-1) W 20-14
11/08 New Hampshire 7-2 (5-1) W 24-13
11/15 Towson 8-2 (6-1) W 34-31
11/22 @ Delaware 9-2 (7-1) W 21-7

charliej
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Go lehigh is right about Nova early on,but we've also improved over the season so I might dissagree on how we would play them today.;)

After the Penn game when we went to Whitney things started to gel. He doesn't get rattled as easily as Young. He's just as athletic and making better decisions.(I do think Antwon has the better arm tho) I think the team has more faith in him as well.They seem to react to him better.Were loaded with offensive weapons so the ball gets spread around alot.The Defense has gotten downright nasty,leading the CAA in rush defense,sacks & tackles for loss. They're also a fairly young team,which bodes well for next year.:D

No injuries of note that I'm aware of,very unlike years past.

Looking forward to the game,lets hope it's a good one.

colgate13
November 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I think Colgate, much like they have all season, needs to just keep it close into the 2nd half. If they get down too much too soon it is over. If they are within 2 TDs to start the second half I think we have a shot. Sure Nova is expected to win, but Colgate's got a senior OL, two very talented TBs, a legit WR and an ever developing star at QB. The defense gets a lot of heat but they have improved greatly.

I said this about HC and I'll say it about Nova. If we get a timely turnover or two we can win.

jlcharles
November 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
As I said in the playoff predictor thread, this game was a lock to happen.

This is a very different Villanova team than you've seen in years past. The reliance on the run game is weird to me after being so adept at, or at least reliant on, throwing the ball over the past decade.

Whitney is a big tough kid who does not go down very easily. First sign of trouble, he's going to pull the ball down, which is good and bad. Good in that he's not going to throw a stupid pick, but he can miss his receivers down field and take off running.

We average 33 minutes of possession a game, but a few of the games have been closer to 40 minutes, like yesterday. Again, it's weird playing a ball control type of offense, especially out of the spread. Whitney is going to run, Ball will get the ball quite a few times, and you'll see Szczur line up at QB in the wildcat formation a lot. Averaging around 215 yards rushing and 175 passing a game, while only giving up 73 rushing and 225 passing.

It should be a great game and I can't wait for Saturday. I'll be there cheering like crazy.

JMU Newbill
November 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
go villanova!!!

hoping we can get past wofford and see you guys in the second round. hopefully it will come down to the final play again... actually... no i dont... i hope we kick the crap out of you.

but i'll settle for a rematch either way

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I'm worried about Colgate's defense. AFAIAC, this new coordinator is not up to par in comparison with past Colgate defensive coordinators, who adhered to schemes which enabled us to hold our own against most running games.

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
forget X's and O's if Colgate wants to win they have to finish. Villinova never kills anyone they just outlast them. they are a great finish team. they play for 60 minutes wich has given them numerous comebacks. good luck Colgate and Nova.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
Well, one thing Colgate does do is play hard for sixty minutes, and they have been able to keep their focus in games. Villanova looks like a damn fine team, so we will need all of that and more.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
I was at the Lehigh-Nova game in September and while we were beaten, we still had a shot to be in it in the fourth. I agree we wilted on a hot afternoon on the turf. However, we had a TD called back in the second quarter and the next play resulted in an INT returned for a TD. So the point discrepancy is slightly misleading. At this stage in the season, I think the game is much closer. Similarly, Colgate's early season troubles are behind them. They can keep this close with a solid run game and ball control and play for creating a turnover. VU is very athletic and I pick them to win...something like 27-17..but from 'gate's perspective, the game is winnable with everyone playing four quarters, though I think you'll need Scott and Eachus, with Sullivan changing it up. I"d like to get down there and see the game, but schedule may not allow.
BTW if a sunny day WEAR YOUR SUNGLASSES--the sun is brutal for those in the visitors stands this time of year.

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
go villanova!!!

hoping we can get past wofford and see you guys in the second round. hopefully it will come down to the final play again... actually... no i dont... i hope we kick the crap out of you.

but i'll settle for a rematch either way

Are you kidding me? If JMU can take care of Wofford, who would you rather JMU face in the 2nd round? I'd much rather see JMU host Colgate than Nova. I'll be rooting for UR, UNH, and Maine in the 1st round, but not Nova. Nothing personal against Nova, I'd just rather JMU not have to face them again. Hard to beat another team twice if you're not way better than them, which isn't the case with Nova & JMU.

A month ago I would have said Nova rolls in this one, its not even close. But Nova at home struggled to beat Towson a week ago which leaves me really scratching my head as Saturday JMU was up 51-13 at the end of the 3rd @ Towson, and any top 10 team at home should blow the doors off Towson. Nova hasn't played well at all against some of the lesser competition (Penn, Northeastern, Towson), so Colgate does have a chance I think, albeit maybe a slim one. That being said, I still think Nova wins this one by a couple of TDs.

TheValleyRaider
November 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
forget X's and O's if Colgate wants to win they have to finish. Villinova never kills anyone they just outlast them. they are a great finish team. they play for 60 minutes wich has given them numerous comebacks. good luck Colgate and Nova.

Well, Colgate has made their season out of outlasting their opponents. 7 of their 9 wins have come while trailing at some point or another in the 2nd Half. They are a 60 minute team, and in particular a 2nd Half team xthumbsupx

Go...gate
November 24th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah, good point. Speed is what it is, and we may not have a great deal, but this seems like a very well-conditioned Colgate team. They still have gas left in the 4th Quarter, and heat will certainly not be an issue now. If Colgate could possibly run the football anywhere within hailing distance of what they have usually done, and not wear its defense out....

BTW, beautiful ballpark and lovely campus at Villanova.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I'm intrigued at this game.. Scott is one of the best runningbacks in the land but Villanova has quite possibly the best D-Line in the nation.. Villanova D-Line vs. Colgate O-Line is the key matchup of the day.. whoever wins that matchup will win the game

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I'm deffinately pulling for the Raiders in this one. As a Temple alum Villanova just bugs me and Talley has made no attempt to hide is feelings about PL football. I really think this is the PL's best chance for a playoff win since Lehigh hosted JMU in '04 and Colgate against W. Illinois in '03. The PL only has 4 road playoff wins ever, Lehigh-Richmond '98, Lehigh-W. Illinois '00, Fordham-Northeastern '02, Colgate-FAU '03, so it would be nice to get another one. I do think 'Nova is the favorite and will probably win but Colgate can very realistically win this game. This isn't Colgate-UNH '05 or Colgate ISU in '99 i believe. A blowout loss would surprise me a great deal.

Go...gate
November 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm intrigued at this game.. Scott is one of the best runningbacks in the land but Villanova has quite possibly the best D-Line in the nation.. Villanova D-Line vs. Colgate O-Line is the key matchup of the day.. whoever wins that matchup will win the game

I think you are exactly right. Not a lot of fancy stuff in this game.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I can't wait... This game will be smash mouth football in the cold, on the beautiful main line

Fordham
November 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Good luck Gate!! Make us proud.

Here's hoping that you guys continue the PL history of playing our best in the playoffs. Here's hoping even more that you guys get the outright victory instead of the moral ones we've picked up the past few years.

Go get 'em!!

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Good luck Gate!! Make us proud.

Here's hoping that you guys continue the PL history of playing our best in the playoffs. Here's hoping even more that you guys get the outright victory instead of the moral ones we've picked up the past few years.

Go get 'em!!

Absolutely. The PL needs a playoff win desperately this year as few years of moral victories is getting old. Go 'Gate we need a W.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Just got this email if anyone from Colgate is coming down:

Dear Wildcats fan,
THE WILDCATS TO HOST COLGATE ON SATURDAY IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Villanova football team is headed for the Division I Championship for the first time since 2002 and received an at-large bid to the 16-team championship field. THIS SATURDAY at 1:00 PM the Wildcats will host Colgate at Villanova Stadium.

Villanova enters the postseason with a 9-2 overall record and went 7-1 in regular season play in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Wildcats only losses this season came to FBS opponent West Virginia and via a hail mary pass in the final second against national No. 1 squad James Madison.

Gather together all the relatives and family that are in town for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and bring them out to the Main Line for some exciting NCAA playoff football action!

Great playoff football at great prices! Tickets are just $20 for adults and $5 for kids 12 & under. And, if you can gather together a group of 20 or more of your closest friends and family members, tickets are just $5 each!

CLICK HERE to buy your tickets online NOW!

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=PR:PR:504C41594F4646&linkID=villanova&shopperContext=&caller=PR&appCode=&prc=PLAYOFF

Group tickets are available by calling the Athletic Ticket Office at 610-519-4100.

maristdb89
November 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Good luck Colgate, I'm pulling for you. That said, Nova is tough. If Colgate can sustain drives with it's running game and score TDs, it'll be a nailbiter.

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Colgate vs Villanova stats

Colgate ------- Villanova

30.4 --- 30.0 - points for
26.7 --- 21.9 - points against
273 --- 210 - rush off
153 --- 80 - rush def
147 --- 178 - pass off
218 --- 225 - pass def
420 --- 388 - total off
370 --- 305 - total def

ColgateTD
November 24th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Nova played much tougher opponents than 'Gate in the CAA, and this scares me..xeekx Any team that can come within 4 pts of JMU has a lot of weapons.

I'm wondering if Scott can go full bore, as he seemed to be limping out of the HC game in the 3rd. Anyone know his status?

I do think 'Gate can keep this close by using the clock. As a previous Nova poster stated, speed is their thing. Maybe we use that speed to our advantage - i.e. run some missdirection and trap plays? It may be that Sullivan will have to use his arm more and include the TE, which we haven't done at all this season..

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Just got this email if anyone from Colgate is coming down:

Dear Wildcats fan,
THE WILDCATS TO HOST COLGATE ON SATURDAY IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

VILLANOVA, Pa. - The Villanova football team is headed for the Division I Championship for the first time since 2002 and received an at-large bid to the 16-team championship field. THIS SATURDAY at 1:00 PM the Wildcats will host Colgate at Villanova Stadium.

Villanova enters the postseason with a 9-2 overall record and went 7-1 in regular season play in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Wildcats only losses this season came to FBS opponent West Virginia and via a hail mary pass in the final second against national No. 1 squad James Madison.

Gather together all the relatives and family that are in town for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend and bring them out to the Main Line for some exciting NCAA playoff football action!

Great playoff football at great prices! Tickets are just $20 for adults and $5 for kids 12 & under. And, if you can gather together a group of 20 or more of your closest friends and family members, tickets are just $5 each!

CLICK HERE to buy your tickets online NOW!

http://ev8.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=PR:PR:504C41594F4646&linkID=villanova&shopperContext=&caller=PR&appCode=&prc=PLAYOFF

Group tickets are available by calling the Athletic Ticket Office at 610-519-4100.

Thanks for the info, I might try and get tickets and go down. Do you expect a sellout?

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info, I might try and get tickets and go down. Do you expect a sellout?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I wish..
we wouldn't sell out if Brian Westbrook was in uniform and playing next Saturday.. that's the reason we didn't get a seed

jlcharles
November 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Weather.com says 45 and rain. We can't catch a break with the weather this year.

Philliesfan980
November 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
we wouldn't sell out if Brian Westbrook was in uniform and playing next Saturday.. that's the reason we didn't get a seed

Yeah, I'm planning on going down this Saturday and picking up tickets at the gate. For that high school facility they play in, $20 is a little steep in my opinion. Should be in the $10-12 range.

Does anyone know if CN8 is picking up the game?

Philliesfan980
November 24th, 2008, 11:57 AM

On a related note, has Nova ever sold out for Football? Did they draw well when they had Westbrook and Finneran?

jlcharles
November 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM
They may have sold out before, but you could definitely get seats on gameday during the Westbrook era. Part of it is we're a basketball school and part is the athletic department not promoting the team at all. I've been a season ticket holder for 8 years and didn't know that they would honor the 97 team (Westbrook and Finneran in attendance) until they did it at halftime.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 12:37 PM
On a related note, has Nova ever sold out for Football? Did they draw well when they had Westbrook and Finneran?

We draw decently until Hoops Mania at the end of October.. but the Lehigh game earlier this year had at least 11,000 at it.. great showing

LU73
November 24th, 2008, 12:43 PM
We draw decently until Hoops Mania at the end of October.. but the Lehigh game earlier this year had at least 11,000 at it.. great showing

Sounds like the visitors travelled well!xnodx

Go...gate
November 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Lehigh always does. Colgate is not bad, either and this game may be very well attended by people in Maroon. A lot of alumni in NY/NJ/PA, fairly easy driving distance.

Philliesfan980
November 24th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I don't mean to repost, but I don't want it to get lost. Does anyone know if this game will be televised?

jlcharles
November 24th, 2008, 01:01 PM

I believe it was also parent's weekend, which is typically a well attended game.

Ivytalk
November 24th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'll take Nova by 6.

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Two ball control offenses huh? This game could take all of an hour and 15 minutes to play!

While we didn't win, I think we are helped by playing Furman earlier this year. We've seen some good teams and some fast ones. I still think turnovers are key to a 'gate win and we've been getting them regularly...

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I honestly think it's gonna come down to your ability to stop Matt Szczur in the direct snap formation.. he may be the best kept secret in the Country.. by the time he's a senior he'll be a Payton Award Finalist

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I'm planning on going down this Saturday and picking up tickets at the gate. For that high school facility they play in, $20 is a little steep in my opinion. Should be in the $10-12 range.

Does anyone know if CN8 is picking up the game?

I think the $20 price has something to do with it being an NCAA playoff game, I may be wrong.

No TV coverage that I know of.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I honestly think it's gonna come down to your ability to stop Matt Szczur in the direct snap formation.. he may be the best kept secret in the Country.. by the time he's a senior he'll be a Payton Award Finalist

Matty will be playing pro baseball his senior year. :( I doubt he will stay for his senior year. He is a stud baseball player. As you probably already know, he has been drafted and will likely sign a MLB contract for a few million after his junior year.

Philliesfan980
November 24th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Matty will be playing pro baseball his senior year. :( I doubt he will stay for his senior year. He is a stud baseball player. As you probably already know, he has been drafted and will likely sign a MLB contract for a few million after his junior year.

Why is he even messing around with football then? It doesn't seem like it's worth the risk for him if he's such a sure thing in baseball.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM

eh.. but don't you think that if he's generating pro football interest his junior year he'll wanna stick around?

Philliesfan980
November 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
eh.. but don't you think that if he's generating pro football interest his junior year he'll wanna stick around?

Where does he translate in the NFL? WR? RB?

If I were him, I'd take the Jeff Zamarja (I botched his spelling, I know) route and take the easy guaranteed money that is MLB. While he's a great FCS player, I'm not sure if he'd have the same money making opportunity in the NFL as he would in MLB.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Why is he even messing around with football then? It doesn't seem like it's worth the risk for him if he's such a sure thing in baseball.

He loves football. While he is a sure thing to get in the MLB system, he is not a sure thing to make it to the big leagues. He will likely have the opportunity to get a $2-$3M signing bonus after his junior year. Who knows, he may stick around, but he could always go pro in baseball, get the money and come back for his last year of college football.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Where does he translate in the NFL? WR? RB?

If I were him, I'd take the Jeff Zamarja (I botched his spelling, I know) route and take the easy guaranteed money that is MLB. While he's a great FCS player, I'm not sure if he'd have the same money making opportunity in the NFL as he would in MLB.

I don't think he translates to the NFL, too short on paper to be a WR, not big enough to be a RB. He is a lot like Wes Welker and it took him going to New England to really break through and be used creatively. He would be a great special teams guy but as we all know the NFL league min. pales in comparison to the average MLB league minimum. I agree, if I was him, I would take the money and then come back for his last year if it did not work out.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
A Question for the Colgate Fans.. What are your strengths on Defense?
Weaknesses on both sides of the ball?
I know you guys can pound the rock

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2008, 04:40 PM
This game will be over by the second quarter. Like I've said... "Fraudgate".. not impressed at all with Colgate, and I've seen Villanova twice. Colgate only has the run, and questionable defense.

Villanova 41, Colgate 14

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM
This game will be over by the second quarter. Like I've said... "Fraudgate".. not impressed at all with Colgate, and I've seen Villanova twice. Colgate only has the run, and questionable defense.

Villanova 41, Colgate 14

Would 9 wins in a row impress you? 10? These things don't happen by accident xeyebrowx

I'd also like to point out we held Randolph and the Cross to 3 second half points on Saturday

The defense has improved from where they were, and while they certainly are not up to our usual standards, they can make plays. Still, if we win this game, it'll be because we're able to run the ball and control the clock like we did against Holy Cross xcoolx

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM

He was drafted by the Dodgers,but he does love football and he wanted an education.Football gave it to him. He IS and always will be a baseballer tho.He can re-enter the draft after 3 years.

The kid is great.He hit .620 (or thereabouts) in HS and is the only HS player EVER to hit a ball out of the park at Shea Stadium in an all star game.

crusader11
November 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Would 9 wins in a row impress you? 10? These things don't happen by accident xeyebrowx

I'd also like to point out we held Randolph and the Cross to 3 second half points on Saturday

The defense has improved from where they were, and while they certainly are not up to our usual standards, they can make plays. Still, if we win this game, it'll be because we're able to run the ball and control the clock like we did against Holy Cross xcoolx

Your defense did not hold us to 3 points in the second half, your offense did. 25 minutes of possession will tend to do that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Villanova 41, Colgate 14

A very green Lehigh team battled 'Nova for 3 quarters in the beginning of the season before losing by 19. I can't see Colgate losing by more than that on Saturday. The only problem is history does show Colgate more often then not (minus '03) getting run off the field in the playoffs.

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Your defense did not hold us to 3 points in the second half, your offense did. 25 minutes of possession will tend to do that.

It was a team effort :D

If we're going that way, Lafayette's defense failed to hold back Randolph in the last minutes when it counted the most. Colgate forced a 3 and out before running out the clock

Is that better? xsmiley_wix

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
A very green Lehigh team battled 'Nova for 3 quarters in the beginning of the season before losing by 19. I can't see Colgate losing by more than that on Saturday. The only problem is history does show Colgate more often then not (minus '03) getting run off the field in the playoffs.

Right, just look at UNH in 2005.

I do agree... Lehigh was nothing like the team I saw at Villanova... plus, you could infer from the scores throughout the year, and I saw some of the Harvard game. Nice improvement. Like I said somewhere, Lehigh reminded me of our 2002 team.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM

In all due fairness.. that was a very green Villanova team as well

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM

No it doesn't impress me...

Your shelling at the hands of Furman.

A win over patsy Dartmouth.

Last second win over anemic Fordham.

Barely beating weak Princeton.

AND YOU NEVER PLAYED GEORGETOWN!! (even if you lost, you would win head-to-head vs. HC).. but still!

What am I saying, we imploded... Colgate is very well disciplined.. how many comebacks did you have? At least Fordham, Lehigh, and HC. Your season could have easily been ours. Guess you wanted it... and have a smart staff.

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
What am I saying, we imploded... Colgate is very well disciplined.. how many comebacks did you have? At least Fordham, Lehigh, and HC. Your season could have easily been ours. Guess you wanted it... and have a smart staff.

Football is a 60 minute game, and good teams win close games

Cliches, yes, but they're cliche for a reason xtwocentsx xpeacex

jlcharles
November 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM

To be fair, the play calling and offense were totally different at that point in the season. This was pre-Whitney as he didn't become the starter until the end of the next game against Penn.

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Football is a 60 minute game, and good teams win close games

Cliches, yes, but they're cliche for a reason xtwocentsx xpeacex
Those are the story of Villanova's season this year.. but it unfortunately cost us a seed

jlcharles
November 24th, 2008, 05:28 PM
And along with the change at QB came a change in philosophy from our OC Sam Venuto, with an emphasis on a running game. I wish we didn't run the spread, but it seems to be effective in the running game. Some sort of power I formation would be nice.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
To be fair, the play calling and offense were totally different at that point in the season. This was pre-Whitney as he didn't become the starter until the end of the next game against Penn.

Both QB situations were unsettled although Lehigh had Clark who only had 4 quarters of playing experience and that was against Drake in the rain. Lehigh also had a couple guys making their first start on the oline. The Hawks simply could not handle 'Nova's speed on defense. They teed off on Clark and forced him into 4 ints, one that went back for a TD.

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
A Question for the Colgate Fans.. What are your strengths on Defense?
Weaknesses on both sides of the ball?
I know you guys can pound the rock

Defensive Strength: ILB and making turnovers

Offensive Weakness: the ability to score points fast (although we've gotten better lately)

Defensive Weakness: giving up the big play - and taking a quarter to warm up

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
If you look at 'Nova's schedule the only games they really controlled was Lehigh and URI, every other game was close. They were far from dominating more like highly efficient. I really think Colgate can make real game of this if they come ready to play.

DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT
8/30 @ No. 8 West Virginia 0-1 (0-0) L 48-21
9/13 Lehigh 1-1 (0-0) W 33-14
9/20 @ Pennsylvania 2-1 (0-0) W 20-14 OT
9/27 Richmond 3-1 (1-0) W 26-20
10/04 @ William & Mary 4-1 (2-0) W 38-28
10/18 @ Rhode Island 5-1 (3-0) W 44-7
10/25 James Madison 5-2 (3-1) L 23-19
11/01 @ Northeastern 6-2 (4-1) W 20-14
11/08 New Hampshire 7-2 (5-1) W 24-13
11/15 Towson 8-2 (6-1) W 34-31
11/22 @ Delaware 9-2 (7-1) W 21-7

It was a long time ago, but they pretty much controlled UR in September.

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Villanova 41, Colgate 14

That's a lot of sour grapes my friend. xrolleyesx

Say what you want about the defense, but 'only has the run'? Seriously?

We've got two tailbacks that, if playing a full season, would approach 2,000 yard seasons. Instead they've got 1000 yarder and an 800+ yarder... oh, and a QB with 800+ yards rushing. If that is only the run, then I'll take that any day of the week.

Oh, and did you forget we have 6'6" inch receiver with 1000 yards receiving this year?

Colgate has blue collar grind it out offense with some good talent. That's hardly a fraud. xcoffeex

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM

You can't deny that the defense got the turnover when they needed it. That has been this defense's biggest strength.

But yes, fair point, a best defense is a good offense!

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Right, just look at UNH in 2005.

I do agree... Lehigh was nothing like the team I saw at Villanova... plus, you could infer from the scores throughout the year, and I saw some of the Harvard game. Nice improvement. Like I said somewhere, Lehigh reminded me of our 2002 team.

This is a very different football team than 2005. That year we sort of won the league autobid through the backdoor. This year we took control and never let go. And, UNH in 2005 was what, the #1 team in the country or close to it?

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Those are the story of Villanova's season this year.. but it unfortunately cost us a seed

Nova didn't get a seed because they don't have the fanbase. Most small schools will have the same problem.Unless you are head & shoulders above the field, attendance & the $$ that goes with it will wiggle its way into the equation.Not supposed to be that way,but it is.

I'm upset Cats didn't get a seed. NOT because I feel it would give us a better chance,(it might,but I think this team can play anyone,anywhere),but because I'm not going to be able to travel to the games.xsmhx

Hoyadestroya85
November 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Nova didn't get a seed because they don't have the fanbase. Most small schools will have the same problem.Unless you are head & shoulders above the field, attendance & the $$ that goes with it will wiggle its way into the equation.Not supposed to be that way,but it is.

I'm upset Cats didn't get a seed. NOT because I feel it would give us a better chance,(it might,but I think this team can play anyone,anywhere),but because I'm not going to be able to travel to the games.xsmhx
That's why i'm upset too.. i think if we make it to chatty though its the kinda thing you have to do..

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
That's why i'm upset too.. i think if we make it to chatty though its the kinda thing you have to do..

ABSOLUTELY!xnodx

TheValleyRaider
November 24th, 2008, 09:33 PM
That's a lot of sour grapes my friend. xrolleyesx

Say what you want about the defense, but 'only has the run'? Seriously?

We've got two tailbacks that, if playing a full season, would approach 2,000 yard seasons. Instead they've got 1000 yarder and an 800+ yarder... oh, and a QB with 800+ yards rushing. If that is only the run, then I'll take that any day of the week.

Oh, and did you forget we have 6'6" inch receiver with 1000 yards receiving this year?

Colgate has blue collar grind it out offense with some good talent. That's hardly a fraud. xcoffeex

You can't deny that the defense got the turnover when they needed it. That has been this defense's biggest strength.

But yes, fair point, a best defense is a good offense!

This is a very different football team than 2005. That year we sort of won the league autobid through the backdoor. This year we took control and never let go. And, UNH in 2005 was what, the #1 team in the country or close to it?

The King has returned! xlolx xlolx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xbowx xbowx xbowx

http://www.freewebs.com/finduilas101/Aragorn-Return%20of%20the%20King.jpg

colgate13
November 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
The King has returned! xlolx xlolx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xbowx xbowx xbowx

http://www.freewebs.com/finduilas101/Aragorn-Return%20of%20the%20King.jpg

I wouldn't miss a Colgate playoff game for much! xthumbsupx

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I think there are some sour grapes around here somewhere, hmmm, I think I see a Leopard too. xlolx

Don't kid yourself, Colgate could beat Nova on Saturday. If both teams play their A game though, I think Nova wins. My prediction is a nip and tuck first half and then Nova wins by 13. I really think Nova has a favorable match-up with their defense against Colgate's ground attack.

As for controlling past games, Nova controlled (even dominated) the UR game, the UNH game and the JMU game until the last play. UR and UNH never got close in the second half. Nova is a slug it out team. They do not blow out anyone because of their ball control offense. They can pass, but have run into a lot of bad weather games and have had to run the ball more than pass. The spread is really designed to do both, but with Whitney being more of a runner and the bad weather, they have run more than pass. Sat. looks a little rainy right now so I would expect the same thing.

Bottom line, this is an interesting match-up between two fairly similar teams. It should be entertaining and I am glad it is at home.

Anovafan
November 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Nova didn't get a seed because of Maine. If Maine wasn't in the field, I think Nova gets the seed over UNI. With Maine in, their hands were tied with regional games. There were not enough teams around Nova to make them a seed.

charliej
November 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Nova didn't get a seed because of Maine. If Maine wasn't in the field, I think Nova gets the seed over UNI. With Maine in, their hands were tied with regional games. There were not enough teams around Nova to make them a seed.
I can't see why Maine would be a problem. Attendance is far more likely IMO.(unless you feel UNI is just the better team)It's all about the $$$,Why do you think you have to bid for home games if not seeded?

NCAA attendance stats seem to bear this out. Bold teams are your seeds....

NCAA ACCUMULATED ATTENDANCE REPORT
Championship Subdivision

Rank Name

1 Montana
2 Appalachian St.
3 Delaware
4 Ga. Southern
5 North Dakota St.
6 James Madison
7 Liberty
8 Youngstown St.
9 Harvard
10 Jackson St.
11 Montana St.
12 UNI

.... Also, swap Villanova/Colgate game with UNI/Maine game in the bracket. How is this a problem with regional games?xeyebrowx

Go...gate
November 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Villanova 41, Colgate 14

Sorry you feel this way. We got off to our usual slow start and Furman handled us pretty well, and yes, Dartmouth had their worst year ever. We did win the League, though, and we carry its banner in the post-season.

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Sorry you feel this way. We got off to our usual slow start and Furman handled us pretty well, and yes, Dartmouth had their worst year ever. We did win the League, though, and we carry its banner in the post-season.

Colgate doesnt wow you but they have done exactly what Lafayette hasnt all season-- made big plays when they had too. Its not the best Colgate team to ever win the PL, but they are mentally and physically tough and will give Nova a good game I believe.

ngineer
November 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Colgate doesnt wow you but they have done exactly what Lafayette hasnt all season-- made big plays when they had too. Its not the best Colgate team to ever win the PL, but they are mentally and physically tough and will give Nova a good game I believe.

Yes, the Red Raiders can almost lull you sleep with their pounding game, but then can quickly bite with Simonds and Sullivan. They will have to do what they did against Holy Cross. Keep 'Nova's offense off the field. Their secondary leaked alot this year, and 'Nova is pretty athletic. They need to limit the Wildcat's offensive chances.

the last indian
November 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I do not know who will win this game. I have to believe that a Colgate win will be an upset, but "that is why they play the game."
However my purpose here is to point out that "Pard4Life" has no brain. He was convinced that his kittens were unstoppable, had the best O-line, the best backs, and the best defense led by the best coaches around. The result - 4th place in the PL. Clearly, he doesn't know his football. He is unimpressed by a team that pretty much handled his unstoppable team in the second half and that beat two teams they could not. IT'S ABOUT SCORING THE MOST POINTS AT THE END OF THE GAME, LOSER4LIFE.

Seawolf97
November 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think Colgate is going to have an uphill battle. Villanova has too much firepower on both sides of the line.

Franks Tanks
November 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I do not know who will win this game. I have to believe that a Colgate win will be an upset, but "that is why they play the game."
However my purpose here is to point out that "Pard4Life" has no brain. He was convinced that his kittens were unstoppable, had the best O-line, the best backs, and the best defense led by the best coaches around. The result - 4th place in the PL. Clearly, he doesn't know his football. He is unimpressed by a team that pretty much handled his unstoppable team in the second half and that beat two teams they could not. IT'S ABOUT SCORING THE MOST POINTS AT THE END OF THE GAME, LOSER4LIFE.

Indian. Pard4Life's comments may have been a little off base but take it easy. You have to admit no team dominated the PL this season. Colgate had some very close games and Holy Cross or Lafayette or even Lehigh could have easily been PL champs and won a few more games it things came together a little better for either team. Colgate earned it however, good luck

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I think Colgate is going to have an uphill battle. Villanova has too much firepower on both sides of the line.

We also play down to our opponents.. I doubt this game will be a blowout, but the cats will still most likely win

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Cat fans:

Any TV or Internet video coverage for this game? xconfusedx

I'm hoping to have more than just TeamLine radio on Saturday.... xprayx

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Cat fans:

None that i know of.. i guess it's the old fashioned way

LacesOut
November 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Come on 'Nova!!!!!! Clean that carpet you play on with the Crest Toothpaste wannabe's!! Make them have to floss and rinse three times with mouthwash that horrible taste of defeat, right outta their mouths!

haha I'm stoopid, I know I know, this post made nooooooo sense. Whateva.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Cat fans:

There is no TV for this game xbawlingx, which I have confirmed.

There may be some streaming option for this game via Colgate's web site or CSTV/CBS College Sports. That is unconfirmed at this point.

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 11:15 AM
There may be some streaming option for this game via Colgate's web site or CSTV/CBS College Sports. That is unconfirmed at this point.

Being @Nova, it would likely have to be through CSTV, because we don't do road games. The only one we have had was the Lehigh game this year because Lehigh apparently let us use their feed. If CSTV/Nova isn't going to do it, I strongly doubt we will xtwocentsx

Unless, of course, as comments in the general TV thread suggest, ESPN's already producing the game, and Nova may pick that up at the last minute....

As of right now, I'm going to be using Internet Radio and Gametracker

AAadict
November 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM
It's an easy drive from Colgate to Villanova (right off the Blue Route). Tough during the holidays but game kicks @ 1pm so most southeastern N.Y.'ers would be home before 9pm. Low 40's and some sunshine in the mix. My Hen's are still licking wounds and wondering how we stunk so bad in 08 but figure I, and 6 other Hen's fans, will travel to Villanova to root on the Wildcats. They are a very good team.

crusader11
November 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Being @Nova, it would likely have to be through CSTV, because we don't do road games. The only one we have had was the Lehigh game this year because Lehigh apparently let us use their feed. If CSTV/Nova isn't going to do it, I strongly doubt we will xtwocentsx

Unless, of course, as comments in the general TV thread suggest, ESPN's already producing the game, and Nova may pick that up at the last minute....

As of right now, I'm going to be using Internet Radio and Gametracker

Or just get in the car, fill up the tank, and drive to the game.

Hoyadestroya85
November 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
It's an easy drive from Colgate to Villanova (right off the Blue Route). Tough during the holidays but game kicks @ 1pm so most southeastern N.Y.'ers would be home before 9pm. Low 40's and some sunshine in the mix. My Hen's are still licking wounds and wondering how we stunk so bad in 08 but figure I, and 6 other Hen's fans, will travel to Villanova to root on the Wildcats. They are a very good team.

it's good to have the support of the enemy this time of the year.. We need the support because we don't have too many faithful fans like the Hens xthumbsupx

CSU Girl
November 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Lets Go Gate!

TheValleyRaider
November 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Or just get in the car, fill up the tank, and drive to the game.

I am at home for the holiday (as opposed to being in Texas, so it's actually drivable ;)) with cousins visiting, but am without the services of a car, so I'm currently in protracted negotiations for a trip. Considerably unlikely at this point, but we shall see...

Better news: A link at the Colgate athletics website goes to CSTVand lists the game as being shown online! xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=93350

And it's FREE xeekx xhurrayx xhypedx xhurrayx xhypedx

wideright82
November 26th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I am at home for the holiday (as opposed to being in Texas, so it's actually drivable ;)) with cousins visiting, but am without the services of a car, so I'm currently in protracted negotiations for a trip. Considerably unlikely at this point, but we shall see...

Better news: A link at the Colgate athletics website goes to CSTVand lists the game as being shown online! xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=93350

And it's FREE xeekx xhurrayx xhypedx xhurrayx xhypedx

Ever heard of a bike? Some fan you are. xrolleyesx

J/K..... where is home for you, it isn't difficult to get to the stadium from most places, but again it depends on where home is.

GOODY26
November 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
xpeacex NOVA............35 COLGATE................18

http://http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/header_football.gif

GOODY26
November 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
http://http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/header_football.gifxpeacex NOVA............35 COLGATE................18

http://http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/header_football.gif

GoBlackBears
November 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I have to agree with the Villinova pick in this game. Colgate in the past have been very tough in the post season, but that was the past.

Nova 45 Colgate 21

art vandelay
November 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I would love to see Colgate win this one. not that I dont like Nova, but I would like to see the Patriot league regain some of its old success.

ColgateTD
November 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Oh no...! I just saw a thread on the board that indicates Randolph is applying for another year at Holy Cross. Man, are we going to have to fight through him again next year? I know this is off topic, but just an FYI for all Colgate posters here.

Weather looks good for Nova game...let's get out there and support the Raiders if you live anywhere in the southern PA, western NJ, or northern MD area. GO RED RAIDERS - TAKE DOWN THE WILDCATS ON SATURDAY!.....xpeacex

Hoyadestroya85
November 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
It's time to concentrate on now, screw next year

Go...gate
November 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Weather forecast definitely better for Saturday. Hope it will be a good turnout.

Fordham
November 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
LET'S GO GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Weather forecast definitely better for Saturday. Hope it will be a good turnout.
i hope so.. history says that's unlikely though

ngineer
November 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Thanksgiving weekend is horrendous for good attendance. Students are gone, people are traveling to families. I will be surprised if more than 6500 show up.

YaleFootballFan
November 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I would love to see Colgate win this one. not that I dont like Nova, but I would like to see the Patriot league regain some of its old success.

I'm with you on that.

Go get 'em Red Raiders! xthumbsupx

colorless raider
November 28th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Lets Go Gate!

Thanks girl:D

Pard4Life
November 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Not me... Go 'Nova

AAadict
November 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
In order...(1) Hens, (2) FCS, (3) CAA....(99) Colgate. Go 'nova Wildcats! I have 5 tix between the 40's on the home side for this game. I wish more fans were into FCS football but I love my seats for tomorrow.

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Thanksgiving weekend is horrendous for good attendance. Students are gone, people are traveling to families. I will be surprised if more than 6500 show up.

Between I-A football on TV, Thanksgiving weekend, and the traditionally low crowds reported in games like this, I'll guess it's under 5,000.

the last indian
November 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
It seems that LoserPard4Life is a bit bitter. Can't stand that the Raiders beat his juggernaut team that finished 4th. Can't accept realty, so instead of following most of the other PL poster on this page and showing some class by wishing the 'Gate "good luck", he, in his sulking bitter grief, is rooting for 'Nova. The better outcome for the league would be a Colgate win, but not for Loser4Life. It is going to be a long cold winner for the Loser.
May I point out that while Saturday's game will be a challenge, no PL team has enjoyed more success in the playoffs.
Get a life loser.

petethepenguin15
November 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Great game, Great game. I am so going to this game can't wait for it. I think Nova will win but I am not taking Colgate out of the game yet!

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I can't wait haha

ColgateTD
November 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Pard4Life needs to get a life.....geeez what a touch hole! Look forward to next year when we whip you asses again....xnodx

Go...gate
November 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm with you on that.

Go get 'em Red Raiders! xthumbsupx

Damn right! None of this PC "Raiders" stuff!

crusader11
November 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Get it done 'Gate. Even though I would love to be down in Philly right now, I've got to pull for my PL brother and hope you get the W.

LBPop
November 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
The LB family is pulling for Colgate. We're now PL fans and LBSis goes to St. Joseph's in Philadelphia. So if you know anything about Philly rivalries, you know that Sis is rooting like crazy against 'Nova.

colorless raider
November 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
The LB family is pulling for Colgate. We're now PL fans and LBSis goes to St. Joseph's in Philadelphia. So if you know anything about Philly rivalries, you know that Sis is rooting like crazy against 'Nova.

Thanks LB POP. What is your son doing now? Will Kelly survive?

Hoyadestroya85
November 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Ahhh GTown and St. Joes in the same household.. I wouldn't be able to deal.

colgate13
November 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It seems that LoserPard4Life is a bit bitter. Can't stand that the Raiders beat his juggernaut team that finished 4th. Can't accept realty, so instead of following most of the other PL poster on this page and showing some class by wishing the 'Gate "good luck", he, in his sulking bitter grief, is rooting for 'Nova. The better outcome for the league would be a Colgate win, but not for Loser4Life. It is going to be a long cold winner for the Loser.
May I point out that while Saturday's game will be a challenge, no PL team has enjoyed more success in the playoffs.
Get a life loser.

Please take the high road fellow Colgate fans... Don't bring us down to that level! If someone wants to make themselves look sour, let them. xthumbsupx xpeacex

ngineer
November 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Please take the high road fellow Colgate fans... Don't bring us down to that level! If someone wants to make themselves look sour, let them. xthumbsupx xpeacex

I guess we should feel somewhat responsible for his 'grumpiness'. ;) Wish I could be there tomorrow. REMEMBER YOUR SUNGLASSES for sitting on the NORTH or VISITORS STANDS. The sun beats down from a low trajectory this time of year. I September, I felt like we were baking and was glad I had my shades.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Good luck 'Gate! I've got your back! xnodx

PS. Hope I'm wrong with my prediction...

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Get a life loser.

Somebody is a bit touchy feely and emotional... jeez get a life.. not everybody loves or roots for Colgate. I would rather have seen Holy Cross in the playoffs. If anything, I am more disappointed about the final game result between CU-HC. Even if we lost to only Colgate, we would still have made the playoffs. So I guess I should be bitter towards HC right? Or Lehigh? No. We imploded, simple as that.

I do not want to support Colgate because they win all the time. Let's see a different team for a change. Why should you need my 'stamp'? Does there have to be a PL consensus? It's the same reason why everyone rooted for Brady in 2002 and then quickly turned against him.. same will happen to the Giants.

Secondly, Villanova is in my backyard and I have seen more of their games.

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Somebody is a bit touchy feely and emotional... jeez get a life.. not everybody loves or roots for Colgate. I would rather have seen Holy Cross in the playoffs. If anything, I am more disappointed about the final game result between CU-HC. Even if we lost to only Colgate, we would still have made the playoffs. So I guess I should be bitter towards HC right? Or Lehigh? No. We imploded, simple as that.

I do not want to support Colgate because they win all the time. Let's see a different team for a change. Why should you need my 'stamp'? Does there have to be a PL consensus? It's the same reason why everyone rooted for Brady in 2002 and then quickly turned against him.. same will happen to the Giants.

Secondly, Villanova is in my backyard and I have seen more of their games.

I agree with you bro, you are not obligated to root for Colgate just because they are from the PL. I, although Colgate beat us and caused us to come up just short for the 3rd straight year, will still pull for Colgate against Nova just because it would be great for the PL to get a playoff win and garner some respect for the League.

Pard4Life
November 29th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with you bro, you are not obligated to root for Colgate just because they are from the PL. I, although Colgate beat us and caused us to come up just short for the 3rd straight year, will still pull for Colgate against Nova just because it would be great for the PL to get a playoff win and garner some respect for the League.

I am not so sure... I think the League is fairly respected around the FCS, although we have had a dry spell. And, if Colgate wins, I am not sure it would advance the arguement either. They were the last team to win and made a run to the title game at that. At first glance, others might identify the PL as a one-horse league if Colgate is the only team that wins... kind of like Gonzaga in WCC basketball. That's why I was really pulling for Holy Cross... Randolph is the face of this league.

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM
True, I think we would have had a better shot to make some noise in the playoffs and beat Villanova than Colgate does. I guess we will find out right about now.

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Villnova to receive

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
and TD Villanova!

OxSoxUNH05
November 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Villanova Player Darrel Young being taken off on a strecther. Prayers go out to him and the whole Villanova team for his well being

NovaWildcat
November 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
over 15 minute delay after Szczur TD on opening kickoff..

Young is a great player - will be a big loss. Heavy hitter.

Extra point missed wide left.

6-0 Cats

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Looks like a good Colgate following on the away side

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Big fumble recovery for Villanova as Colgate was driving.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM
TD run for Ball!! I think Colgate is in for a looong day. This looks like a normal Colgate playoff game, minus '03.

Villanova 13-0 with about 8 minutes left in 1Q.

mistersykes
November 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Has Colgate been able to do much offensively?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Has Colgate been able to do much offensively?

TD Colgate after a gift pass interference call in the endzone. Colgate can't run worth a lick but they've had open receivers.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:02 PM
This most recent Nova TD was the first real drive they've had. Colgate's Offense hasn't looked bad at all. And if Nova decides to pass we've got them (two sacks already).

Colgate needs to score again and make it 20-14 going into the half.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Untimely and unusual Colgate mistakes here with penalties and fumbles. Jeez!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:05 PM
This most recent Nova TD was the first real drive they've had. Colgate's Offense hasn't looked bad at all. And if Nova decides to pass we've got them (two sacks already).

Colgate needs to score again and make it 20-14 going into the half.

Colgate is in trouble. Sullivan isn't a good enough passer to make up for a the lack of ground game.

This is going to be 27-7 at half...

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Huge holding call brings a big pass play back. Colgate needs to be finished with penalties or we can't get back into it.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Tackling has to improve too! Keep it close until half boys... (fingers crossed)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:09 PM
When you watch Colgate play teams from outside the PL you wonder how they win the league.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Rushing yards: Villanova 148, Colgate 6.

Score: Villanova 27, Colgate 7, mid 2nd.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:11 PM
TD 'Nova!! Put the mercy rule on. I thought Colgate would fair better than this but their style of play just doesn't work against this cailiber of team unless there's a snowstorm in Hamilton.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM
When you watch Colgate play teams from outside the PL you wonder how they win the league.

Well, it's something people don't want to talk about: the PL is falling behind other conferences, and is not that many years from being passed by the NEC.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Well, it's something people don't want to talk about: the PL is falling behind other conferences, and is not that many years from being passed by the NEC.

Minus Colgate's run in '03 they've always struggled to be competitive in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with the PL falling behind other conferences.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:15 PM
TD 'Nova!! Put the mercy rule on. I thought Colgate would fair better than this but their style of play just doesn't work against this cailiber of team unless there's a snowstorm in Hamilton.
That's a bit much.xrolleyesx

Colgate's surprised me by getting away from the run so much. We haven't played bad so far. We've made some untimely mistakes.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:16 PM
3 & 2 yards still going to simonds. Why are we passing it? We need to convert on 3rd down...

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Nova scores again by the half and I don't think Colgate's got a chance. If we can hold them we might make it interesting.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:18 PM
We need to call Eachus's number soon.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:19 PM
good god... end around for a TD. our defense isn't in it. :(

and can't catch up with Nova's speed. My question: could any PL defense keep up?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
TD Villanova!! 60 yard reverse for a TD.
34-7 'Nova

This is embarrassing Colgate xsmhx

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Minus Colgate's run in '03 they've always struggled to be competitive in the playoffs. It has nothing to do with the PL falling behind other conferences.

Maybe, but a PL team advanced out of the first round five of six years between 1998 and 2003.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I love Scott but we need to see if Eachus hasn't anything to give today...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Maybe, but a PL team advanced out of the first round five of six years between 1998 and 2003.

PL has been competitve against National Champs or runner-ups since then.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Damn... we got down early and I think we tried to make it up fast with passing and we've dug ourselves a hole we can't get out of. Get something here gate...

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM
fourth and 1. colgate timeout to think about it. we need something to build on.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
that underneath handoff by nova has been blocked beautifully...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
This is about to be 41-7 at half, this is pathetic....

colgate13
How good is Matt Sczur? Jeez. He's having a game.

DFW HOYA
41-7.

colgate13
This is about to be 41-7 at half, this is pathetic....

yes... you are correct... :( :( :( :( :(

Go Lehigh TU owl
And it's 41-7

Colgate is going to set the PL back with this loss. Colgate has no team speed....

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
whoa - check out the ASU SCST score!

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
And it's 41-7

Colgate is going to set the PL back with this loss. Colgate has no team speed....
Comparatively speaking, who in the PL does? What team is faster? Serious question..

And why are we passing on first down!?!??!?!? We set up these 3rd and long plays. This is not how we got here! Jeez!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Comparatively speaking, who in the PL does? What team is faster? Serious question..

And why are we passing on first down!?!??!?!? We set up these 3rd and long plays. This is not how we got here! Jeez!

I think Holy Cross and Lehigh does. I was at the LU-VU game and Lehigh played Villanova very tough except for Clarks 4 ints. Holy Cross would have been a better rep than Colgate IMO.

LEHIGH61
Colgate was just plain lucky to make the playoffs. One point over Lehigh (they had no right to win that game), and one point over Holy Cross. And Biddle is a jerk, He can't coach and he just relies on good fortune t win games. He's coaching this one just like the one against Delaware in the semis a few years ago.

colgate13
halftime... we're about 24 points too far behind I think...

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think Holy Cross and Lehigh does. I was at the LU-VU game and Lehigh played Villanova very tough except for Clarks 4 ints. Holy Cross would have been a better rep than Colgate IMO.

We'll never know for sure now will we? So it's all speculation.

I also have to question that HC and Lehigh have any real measure of team speed over CU. xtwocentsx

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM

HC would make no difference.

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I really don't want to sound like a sour grape or sore loser here, but there is no way we would be losing 41-7 at the Half. Our offense is better suited than Colgate's offense for the playoffs. If we were able to get into a shootout, things would definitely be interesting. Colgate just does not have the firepower to score quickly and be competitive with teams like Villanova.

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
And with regard to team speed, we were by far faster than Colgate. Colgate beat us with sheer strength and size down in the trenches, when the ball got into the open field we were definitely the more dangerous team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
HC would make no difference.

Yes they would have. It would have been a lot closer IMO. Dom would have been able to get HC's offense to move the ball. I don't think they would have faired too much better on D but they would be more effective on "O". This game is 41-7!!

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, it would have been closer, but Villanova's defensive sets would have forced Randolph into some mistakes and locked down opportunities the way Harvard did earlier this year vs. HC.

Maybe not 41-7, but maybe 28-14.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Colgate was just plain lucky to make the playoffs. One point over Lehigh (they had no right to win that game), and one point over Holy Cross. And Biddle is a jerk, He can't coach and he just relies on good fortune t win games. He's coaching this one just like the one against Delaware in the semis a few years ago.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You have no clue about what you are talking about. He can't coach? He has pretty much single handedly taken one of the worst programs in I-AA 13 years ago and made it into a model of winning. He is a great man of great character and any school would be lucky to have him.

Coaching like Delaware in the semis? Let's give 'gate some credit and it was in the finals. We won the semis against a team with SOOO much team speed. The problem with a lot of PL games is that we usually end up, on the road, against a seeded or highly ranked CAA team. Bottomline.

No right to win that game (against Lehigh)? What is owed to you? Take care of your own business before saying this and that about Colgate. I am sensing a lot of sour grapes from the rest of the PL that Colgate won the league. Everyone's got excuses it seems. xsmhx

Whatever. Colgate will be back, again, next year to defend the PL title. xpeacex

LEHIGH61
November 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Holy Cross, Lafayette or Lehigh would have done a better job. Don't forget, Colgate lost to Stony Brook BAD! I repeat Biddle sucks!

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, it would have been closer, but Villanova's defensive sets would have forced Randolph into some mistakes and locked down opportunities the way Harvard did earlier this year vs. HC.

Maybe not 41-7, but maybe 28-14.

Ok, well being down by 14 at the half you are still within striking distance at least. Colgate might as well get on the bus right now--the game is over.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You have no clue about what you are talking about. He can't coach? He has pretty much single handedly taken one of the worst programs in I-AA 13 years ago and made it into a model of winning. He is a great man of great character and any school would be lucky to have him.

Colgate is a solid program and Biddle is probably the best coach in the league over the last ten years. However, Colgate was not one of the worst I-AA programs in 1995.

NovaWildcat
November 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM
give Villanova some credit.

This team deserved a SEED. Only thing that kept us from getting one is home attendance.

No team in the PL could compete with Nova AT THIS POINT in the season.

LEHIGH61
November 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Geez, why can't you take the damn W and at least admit you were lucky to win the game. I think it is quite obvious. We'll take care of it next year at your wind-blown place.

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM

This team deserved a SEED. Only thing that kept us from getting one is home attendance.

Oh, no doubt Nova is the far superior team over any team in the PL. I'm just saying Holy Cross would have done much better than Colgate against you guys. We can score in bunches, while it takes Colgate 8 minutes at a time to score.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM

I dissagree. Fordham who was pretty suspect last year played Umass tough in Amherst and the year before that a 6-5 Lafayette did the same. This Villanova team might be better than those Minutemen teams but only marginally. This is embarrassing for the PL.

93henfan
November 29th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Congrats to Nova on the first round victory.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM
This Villanova team might be better than those Minutemen teams but not only marginally. This is embarrassing for the PL.

Of course it is, but things don't appear to be changing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 01:55 PM

DFW you're trying to say this ties in to Georgetowns which i don't buy for a second. The Hoyas have their own problems. This is a reoccurring theme for Colgate when they get into the playoffs. I know about 2003 but that was magic sleigh ride if there was ever one.
Colgate Playoffs History
'97 Villanova 49-28 L
'98 Georgia Southern 49-28 L
'99 Illinois State 56-13 L
'05 UNH 55-21 L

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM

It starts from the bottom up. :)

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Playoff performance, obviously, has nothingto do with the Hoyas. The PL just hasn't performed well enough in the post-season in recent years, no matter who.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Playoff performance, obviously, has nothingto do with the Hoyas. The PL just hasn't performed well enough in the post-season in recent years, no matter who.

I don't think it has been too bad agaisnt some very good teams. You also got to realize there's only 1 home game here, Lehigh-JMU in '04.

UMASS 49 Fordham 35

UMASS 35 Lafayette 13

UNH 55 Colgate 21
App State 34 Lafayette 23 (App State won title)

Delaware 28 Lafayette 14
JMU 14 Lehigh 13 (JMU won title)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
TD 'Nova catch for Szcur!!

48-7 Villanova....

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Colgate is a solid program and Biddle is probably the best coach in the league over the last ten years. However, Colgate was not one of the worst I-AA programs in 1995.

Pardon my math... 14 years ago. We were 0-11 at one point!

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
And with regard to team speed, we were by far faster than Colgate. Colgate beat us with sheer strength and size down in the trenches, when the ball got into the open field we were definitely the more dangerous team.

Agree to disagree there. By far? I don't think so. The game wouldn't have been as close much less a CU win if there was such a speed mismatch.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Based on what I'm seeing I couldn't agree more. There is a lot of armchair QB'ing going on here. xcoffeex

LEHIGH61
WHAT A JOKE! Anyone for 70 points! HAVE FUN COLGATE FANS!

colgate13
Geez, why can't you take the damn W and at least admit you were lucky to win the game. I think it is quite obvious. We'll take care of it next year at your wind-blown place.

OK junior! xrolleyesx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Based on what I'm seeing I couldn't agree more. There is a lot of armchair QB'ing going on here. xcoffeex

13 it's 48-7!! Penn almost beat Villanova losing in OT and Lehigh played Villanova pretty tough too. This game has the potential to be one of the worst blowouts in FCS playoff history!! 'Nova is very good but please....

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
DFW you're trying to say this ties in to Georgetowns which i don't buy for a second. The Hoyas have their own problems. This is a reoccurring theme for Colgate when they get into the playoffs. I know about 2003 but that was magic sleigh ride if there was ever one.
Colgate Playoffs History
'97 Villanova 49-28 L
'98 Georgia Southern 49-28 L
'99 Illinois State 56-13 L
'05 UNH 55-21 L

Let's recall the national rankings of those teams for a second. Colgate has had the worst playoff draw of any PL team.

colgate13
November 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
13 it's 48-7!! Penn almost beat Villanova losing in OT and Lehigh played Villanova pretty tough too. This game has the potential to be one of the worst blowouts in FCS playoff history!! 'Nova is very good but please....

Two months ago... lots change.

Whatever. I'm done banging my head against the wall with people that appear to have some agenda or have already made up their mind that their team would have done better.
xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Let's recall the national rankings of those teams for a second. Colgate has had the worst playoff draw of any PL team.

Lehigh has run into some darn good teams
'98
#3 Richmond 28-24 W
Umass 27-21 L (UMASS won the national title

'99
Hofstra 27-15 L

'00
WIU 37-7 W
#2 Delaware 47-22 L

'01
Hofstra 27-24 L
Furman 34-17 L (Furman national runner-up)

'04
JMU 14-13 L (JMU won national title)

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Two months ago... lots change.

Whatever. I'm done banging my head against the wall with people that appear to have some agenda or have already made up their mind that their team would have done better.
xpeacex

I honestly think, and most people would probably agree with me, even some Colgate posters, that Holy Cross would have been MUCH more competitive with Nova. Not saying we would win, but we could keep it within a few scores at least. Colgate is a great team, just not made to play in a game of this fast-paced style. Also, the fact the running game is not working against a good defense completely takes them out of their element.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
TD run for Scott

Villanova 48-14

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
TD Villanova!! Colgates defense is awesome!!

55-14 Villanova...

LEHIGH61
November 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
ONLY 15 MORE! Go CAts

Uncle Buck
November 29th, 2008, 02:22 PM
The defense was the biggest question mark in my mind. I posted it somewhere else about their performance against Stony Brook. They looked so small and were totally over matched against the SBU o-line. I couldn't believe they won 9 games.

Offensively they have talent, but Nova is too strong on both sides for them. Colgate needed the defense to step up today if they wanted a shot.

crusader11
November 29th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Don't really understand why all the Lehigh guys are bashing Colgate here. I was pulling for them all the way, just as I would have for any PL team. Unfortunately for Colgate, their style of play was just not suited for the playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
ONLY 15 MORE! Go CAts

Can't pull for that because this game is going to hurt the PL for the next couple years if the league does produce a team capable of making a run. The board is going to be very hesitant to grant a PL team a home game or even a seed. This is a huge black eye for the league.

hawkineer
November 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Geez, this might be 55-14 if CU was playing flag football and VU was playing tackle football. They are not even laying a hand on VU running backs. This is pathetic. VU may be good, but it sure looks like Colgate is thinking more about the 4 hour bus ride than finishing out this game. Total lack of effort! xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

mistersykes
November 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Geez, I thought it would be at leastrelatively close. Tough loss for Colgate to swallow.

hawkineer
November 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Don't really understand why all the Lehigh guys are bashing Colgate here. I was pulling for them all the way, just as I would have for any PL team. Unfortunately for Colgate, their style of play was just not suited for the playoffs.

I agree with you 100%. A "power" running game in the Patriot League is an average running game against the power conferences. In order to be successful, you need a wide-open offense whereby you can finesse the other guys (Lehigh) or you need to be incredibly balanced (Colgate in '03). Regardless, however, you still need a defense. This is why Lafayette has been competitive in the playoffs. Their defense kept them in games.

Unfortunately for the Raiders, their offense is ill-suited and their defense has been surprisingly soft today and soft may be an overstatement.

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I thought Nova might win by 21....but this is impressive/embarrassing...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Villanova 55 Colgate 28 F

That was ugly....

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM
55-28, but still a good season for the Red Raiders.

Too early to tap a favorite for 2009, but Colgate should not be underestimated.

TheValleyRaider
November 29th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Congrats to Villanova

Their defense in particular was outstanding, they played very well all around and deserved the big win

Good luck the rest of the way xthumbsupx

Philliesfan980
November 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Just got back from the game.. some random thoughts

- Haven't read a lot of the posts from this thread yet, but yes, Colgate looked completely overmatched. Couldn't have asked for a better first round opponent to rest up for a tough match next week

- Very impressed with the Colgate fans who traveled with their team. This squad travels well. They filled up about 3 sections from the "40's" and had some fans throughout the rest of the other side.

- Overall great turnout. It was a pretty nice day too, which helped.

LehighFan11
November 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I just got back from the game. First off, Congrats to Villanova, their team is REALLY good. I went to support the PL and expected a close game. I am very disappointed in Colgate. Their fans showed up but the team didn't. How did this team win the PL title? Don't look at the final score, this game was a huge blowout. Colgate (the #3 ranked rushing offense) runs for 100 yards on Nova while Nova runs for 350. I think Villanova defiantly is this good, but lets remember this team didn't blow anyone out this year. They made games vs. Towson and Penn close. Hell, Lehigh starting a soph Qb with 1 start lost by 19. Enjoy your patriot league title Colgate as the PL takes a step back.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM

DFW, we were 0-11, 6-26-1 between 1993 and 1995, and had two winning seasons between 1984 and 1995. The team was not really competitive against any competition. The school was considering dropping football (as they did with Baseball, Colgate's oldest organized sport) or re-classifying to Division III. Biddle (initially with a little help from Fred Dunlap) saved the program. That is all there is to it.

Really, really disappointed about some of the comments regarding the worthiness of the Colgate team and its program in this thread. Yes, we got smacked today. We are not the first team to be decisively defeated in a play-off game, nor will we be the last. Perhaps Lafayette, Holy Cross or Lehigh could have done better, but who the hell knows? The bottom line is that when the chips were down, we won the games head-to-head.

Philliesfan980
November 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
DFW, we were 0-11, 6-26-1 between 1993 and 1995, and had two winning seasons between 1984 and 1995. The team was not really competitive against any competition. The school was considering dropping football (as they did with Baseball, Colgate's oldest organized sport) or re-classifying to Division III. Biddle (initially with a little help from Fred Dunlap) saved the program. That is all there is to it.

Really, really disappointed about some of the comments regarding the worthiness of the Colgate team and its program in this thread. Yes, we got smacked today. We are not the first team to be decisively defeated in a play-off game, nor will we be the last. Perhaps Lafayette, Holy Cross or Lehigh could have done better, but who the hell knows? The bottom line is that when the chips were down, we won the games head-to-head.

All I really meant to say was you guys had no business being on the same field as Nova. Maybe you were the best in the Patriot League this year, but you couldn't hold our jockstraps.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I think problem with Colgate, and not take anything away from '03, is their style of play just does not work on a national level in the playoffs. I don't know any other school that has gotten run off the field as many times as Colgate has in the playoffs.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
All I really meant to say was you guys had no business being on the same field as Nova. Maybe you were the best in the Patriot League this year, but you couldn't hold our jockstraps.

I'm sorry, Philliesfan980 - I wasn't responding to your post, which was correct! We couldn't hold your jockstraps today. Congratulations on a fine win and good luck to Villanova in the remainder of the tournament.

I was responding to an earlier post by DFW Hoya and some other PL posters but screwed up the "quote" function. Again, my apologies.

Philliesfan980
November 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry, Philliesfan980 - I wasn't responding to your post, which was correct! We couldn't hold your jockstraps today. Congratulations on a fine win and good luck to Villanova in the remainder of the tournament.

I was responding to an earlier post by DFW Hoya and some other PL posters but screwed up the "quote" function. Again, my apologies.

It's cool, I was probably a bit harsh in my reply, no malace intended. You guys had a good season, but it really makes me wonder about the quality of play in the PL in general. Maybe a move to DII would help the programs?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
It's cool, I was probably a bit harsh in my reply, no malace intended. You guys had a good season, but it really makes me wonder about the quality of play in the PL in general. Maybe a move to DII would help the programs?

LOL...a move to D2? Are you serious? Colgate, Lehigh, Lafayette, and Holy Cross have all had great success at the FCS level and if you throw in Fordham are 5 of the most storied programs in all of FCS. Were you at the Lehigh-'Nova game this year? 'Nova won that game but it was far from a dominant performance. 'Nova's FG kicker kicked 4-5 FG's which was really the difference in the game. If you look at the PL's playoff history it's been pretty good. Colgate has been both the swan in '03 and the ugly duckling every other year.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM

More likely scholarships would help, though the conference is divided on this issue. I believe everybody is committed to Division I football.

LehighFan11
November 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Yea easy on the DII idea.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I'll defer to your expertise on the matter, only that I never considered 0-11 Colgate in 1995 along the lines of Prairie View or St. Francis or Siena, who really were in the tank that year.

Interesting that Colgate, Harvard, and Villanova all finished last that year and they've never really looked back since. (Any suggestions on how to do that in 2009 will be appreciated...)

Anovafan
November 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks to all of the colgate fans who travelled down for the game, it was a great turnout. Not much to say about the game, it was a blowout.

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
For those concerned... Nova LB Darrell Young,who left the game in an ambulance on the opening KO,will be ok.

Learned after the game that he had some pain /tingling in the neck and shoulders.He was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He will be staying the night at the hospital for obseration,but is expected to be released tomorrow and should be with the team next week at JMU.
That is good news!xthumbsupx

Also want to give props to the Colgate faithful at the game today. Was a good size crowd that came to support their team, and stayed even after the contest was all but decided. A class act, good luck next year!

Philliesfan980
November 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
For those concerned... Nova LB Darrell Young,who left the game in an ambulance on the opening KO,will be ok.

Learned after the game that he had some pain /tingling in the neck and shoulders.He was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He will be staying the night at the hospital for obseration,but is expected to be released tomorrow and should be with the team next week at JMU.
That is good news!xthumbsupx

Also want to give props to the Colgate faithful at the game today. Was a good size crowd that came to support their team, and stayed even after the contest was all but decided. A class act, good luck next year!

That is good news about Young. Was pretty scary for some time, didn't see the hit that put him there though.

Would also like to second the Colgate faithful. Great fans.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Did Colgate submit a bid to host? One thing PL schools need to do is bid to host games. If they're not going to put forth the money towards scholarships then atleast buy a home game or two. If Colgate is going to continue to be Colgate and assuming PL schools can't recruit the next level athletes to fill their own systems then they need to gain an advantage somewhere else. Under the current rules if you go 9-2 or better the school should put forth any bid needed to host a game. Lehigh bought a game against JMU in '04. Although they were possibly headed for a seed until they lost to Lafayette. Still they finished 9-2 and played at home. Colgate decided not to submit a bid in '03 against FAU which was interesting but it didn't cost them. I think Colgate should have atleast attempted to host. I think if the price was right they could have gotten a game against UNH at the expense of a team like Richmond. Schools like App State, Montana, UNI, GSU, YSU, SIU and Delaware are going to get their games because of how the process works. However there's always a couple games that are up for grabs. The PL can't keep getting shipped away. They're 3-1 in home games and 4 and a lot on the road. Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate all have good homefield advantages.

jlcharles
November 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
LOL...a move to D2? Are you serious? Colgate, Lehigh, Lafayette, and Holy Cross have all had great success at the FCS level and if you throw in Fordham are 5 of the most storied programs in all of FCS. Were you at the Lehigh-'Nova game this year? 'Nova won that game but it was far from a dominant performance. 'Nova's FG kicker kicked 4-5 FG's which was really the difference in the game. If you look at the PL's playoff history it's been pretty good. Colgate has been both the swan in '03 and the ugly duckling every other year.

The team completely changed when Whitney took over. You love to quote the Penn game, but look at what actually happened in the game. Antwon threw 3 INTs in the endzone, none of which were due to the defense, but from awful throws, that's why he isn't playing much anymore. We have also had a habit of playing up or down to the competition this year. Examples being in a close game with Towson and dominating a great Richmond team. Today was a statement game if I've ever seen one. Colgate ran into a pissed off team that feels they deserved a seed.

jlcharles
November 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Good news on Young, it was a bit scary seeing him on the field. I don't think he moved his legs the entire time he was laying there. I got my concerns answered by one of the VEMS guys near the end of the game who told me he was "OK."

Hoyadestroya85
November 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Good news on Young, it was a bit scary seeing him on the field. I don't think he moved his legs the entire time he was laying there. I got my concerns answered by one of the VEMS guys near the end of the game who told me he was "OK."

he was moving his arms and legs at the beginning but they told him to stop.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate all have good homefield advantages.

Don't undersell Bucknell. If the Bison got to the playoffs, that stadium could be a great place to host a game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Don't undersell Bucknell. If the Bison got to the playoffs, that stadium could be a great place to host a game.

Yeah but noone would show up. There attendance is head scratching. They only seem to care about bball in Lewisburg although i think the years of that might be gone too.

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM

Would agree...They do have a great stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Would agree...They do have a great stadium.

It's almost identical to Villanova's.

charliej
November 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Field is maybe,but the setting is much better than at Nova IMO.

DFW HOYA
November 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Bucknell's is nicer.

Bucknell:
http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/facilities/buck-christymathewson-memorialstadium.html

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Bucknell's is nicer.

Bucknell:
http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/facilities/buck-christymathewson-memorialstadium.html

The setting is nicer at Bucknell but the overall appearance is very similiar to Villanova. Both have about the same number of rows and extend into the endzones. C.M. Stadium was crumbling apart in the late 80's, early 90's before the school did major renovations.

ngineer
November 29th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry to see the Colgate got hammered today. Thought they'd be able to keep the 'nova offense off the field enough a la Holy Cross, but obviously not. Teams get blown out every so often and when an opponent gets up by four TD's it's tough to hold back the flood. Nova has some great playmakers that we saw first hand back in September--and I said preseason they were one of the top teams in the country. Congrats on a good season, Raiders. Payback will be next year;)
Good Luck Wildcats!

AAadict
November 30th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I have seen Colgate play two football games over the last couple years. First time was the 2003 championship vs. Delaware and second was yesterday at Villanova. There is no doubt that Colgate has a fine football program as they have done well in the Patriot League but I hope I never waste another $ on a ticket to see them play. Both games were over in the first minute. That was not playoff football. At least in 2003 they were road weary. I'm sure I saw their worst two games in the last 6 yrs.

colorless raider
November 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Holy Cross, Lafayette or Lehigh would have done a better job. Don't forget, Colgate lost to Stony Brook BAD! I repeat Biddle sucks!

Yeah and Andy Coen is another Pete Carroll. Sure fella. Why don't you focus on Lehigh who needs a new scoreboard, receivers and Oline.

colorless raider
November 30th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Agreed. The Patriot League needs scholarships pure and simple.

colorless raider
November 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Did Colgate submit a bid to host? One thing PL schools need to do is bid to host games. If they're not going to put forth the money towards scholarships then atleast buy a home game or two. If Colgate is going to continue to be Colgate and assuming PL schools can't recruit the next level athletes to fill their own systems then they need to gain an advantage somewhere else. Under the current rules if you go 9-2 or better the school should put forth any bid needed to host a game. Lehigh bought a game against JMU in '04. Although they were possibly headed for a seed until they lost to Lafayette. Still they finished 9-2 and played at home. Colgate decided not to submit a bid in '03 against FAU which was interesting but it didn't cost them. I think Colgate should have atleast attempted to host. I think if the price was right they could have gotten a game against UNH at the expense of a team like Richmond. Schools like App State, Montana, UNI, GSU, YSU, SIU and Delaware are going to get their games because of how the process works. However there's always a couple games that are up for grabs. The PL can't keep getting shipped away. They're 3-1 in home games and 4 and a lot on the road. Lehigh, Lafayette, Holy Cross and Colgate all have good homefield advantages.

Word is that they "bid". How much might be the question give the FAU deal.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM

There were 500 people when they hosted Lafayette... 350 were Pard fans! Not sure the acoustics and layout of the stadium would contain the noise either... one tier, open ends on either side.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Ugh, I was pulling for 'Nova but seriously, even this makes me sick. Although the PL needs scholarships, we just got a terrible match up yet again. Like a few others said, it still puzzles me how Colgate won the PL this year and was not our best possible representative. But hey, they won the games... that's how it is. Don't know if this is accurate or not, but I'd attribute this year to Biddle.. who seemed to get the most out of the team, had them ready to play, and made adjustments when needed. It is indicative of why he is the longest tenured.

Holy Cross would have been a better match-up and can play a fast game. As for Lafayette and Lehigh... not so sure.. Lafayette pre-Colgate, definetely... Lehigh.. they still need to develop more. Until beating the Pards, they had not won a big game this year.

Nobody will ever host from the PL unless it is Lafayette or Lehigh. Holy Cross could based on venue size, but are they that committed?

Someone said Lafayette would be tough with home field in the playoffs... I beg to differ... we play much better on the road and have waffled more times at home in recent years than I'd like to count. In a way, I hope we play our playoff games on the road... just not against a 1-4 seed.

PL has been too close the past few years against top seeds... this is without question our biggest issue. Our teams have to go 9-2 or better to avoid those seeds.

Anovafan
November 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Word is that they "bid". How much might be the question give the FAU deal.

Nova only bid the minimum. I still have no idea how they award home games. I have read everything on it and don't think they stick to the rules. The committee does what it wants.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I have seen Colgate play two football games over the last couple years. First time was the 2003 championship vs. Delaware and second was yesterday at Villanova. There is no doubt that Colgate has a fine football program as they have done well in the Patriot League but I hope I never waste another $ on a ticket to see them play. Both games were over in the first minute. That was not playoff football. At least in 2003 they were road weary. I'm sure I saw their worst two games in the last 6 yrs.

I believe you did. No excuses in either game. We were flat-out beaten decisively by better teams.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Ugh, I was pulling for 'Nova but seriously, even this makes me sick. Although the PL needs scholarships, we just got a terrible match up yet again. Like a few others said, it still puzzles me how Colgate won the PL this year and was not our best possible representative. But hey, they won the games... that's how it is. Don't know if this is accurate or not, but I'd attribute this year to Biddle.. who seemed to get the most out of the team, had them ready to play, and made adjustments when needed. It is indicative of why he is the longest tenured.

Holy Cross would have been a better match-up and can play a fast game. As for Lafayette and Lehigh... not so sure.. Lafayette pre-Colgate, definetely... Lehigh.. they still need to develop more. Until beating the Pards, they had not won a big game this year.

Nobody will ever host from the PL unless it is Lafayette or Lehigh. Holy Cross could based on venue size, but are they that committed?

Someone said Lafayette would be tough with home field in the playoffs... I beg to differ... we play much better on the road and have waffled more times at home in recent years than I'd like to count. In a way, I hope we play our playoff games on the road... just not against a 1-4 seed.

PL has been too close the past few years against top seeds... this is without question our biggest issue. Our teams have to go 9-2 or better to avoid those seeds.

I completely agree with this. With the Jordan Scott problem, an incompetent Defensive Coordinator and after the SBU and CCU games, I saw us as a 4 or 5 win team at best. Excepting 1996, 2008 may have been Biddle's best coaching job.

TheValleyRaider
November 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM

It's not even the record, it's the regionalization. As it stands, the PL Champ is pretty much all but set up with a CAA team in the First Round. Lafayette going to App State in 2005 was really the only exception. Otherwise, since 2002, it's been:
2002: Northeastern
2003: UMass
2004: Delaware, James Madison
2005: New Hampshire, Appalachian State
2006: UMass
2007: UMass
2008: Villanova

At least 3 of those teams were seeded, and I'm probably forgetting one or two of them. Not saying it's fair or unfair, but since regionalization is the way they want to do things, the Patriot League champ is almost overwhemlingly likely, just on geography, to face a CAA opponent

Nova only bid the minimum. I still have no idea how they award home games. I have read everything on it and don't think they stick to the rules. The committee does what it wants.

I'd be shocked if Colgate bid more than the minimum, if indeed the bid. Very strange. Maybe the committee thought they were rewarding Nova after not giving the Cats a seed? xconfusedx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM
A good PL team with a a solid resume and strong bid should have a very good chance to host a 3rd place CAA team. Lehigh can out dual any CAA team besides Delaware and JMU in attendance almost every year. Holy Cross, Lafayette and even Colgate match up favorably with Umass, UNH, 'Nova, Hoftra, Richmond etc. If scholarships aren't going to be given they have to put forth the money. As a whole the PL has some of the nicest facilities in all of FCS. If the NCAA goes with seeding this of course goes out the window.

Go...gate
November 30th, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's not even the record, it's the regionalization. As it stands, the PL Champ is pretty much all but set up with a CAA team in the First Round. Lafayette going to App State in 2005 was really the only exception. Otherwise, since 2002, it's been:

At least 3 of those teams were seeded, and I'm probably forgetting one or two of them. Not saying it's fair or unfair, but since regionalization is the way they want to do things, the Patriot League champ is almost overwhemlingly likely, just on geography, to face a CAA opponent

I'd be shocked if Colgate bid more than the minimum, if indeed the bid. Very strange. Maybe the committee thought they were rewarding Nova after not giving the Cats a seed? xconfusedx

I would hope that Roach made a bid; Hell, one of the reasons we got FieldTurf (in addition to the generous donation made by supporters of the lacrosse program) was that the NCAA said we would need it to host future football playoff games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 30th, 2008, 11:16 PM

'Nova was getting a home game no matter what, they earned it plus they got $$. Still MOST CAA teams facilities and attendance are in line with the PL's best teams, UD and JMU the exception. The two times Lehigh had good reason to place a bid they got the home game. They were not shy with money. It can be done.

No offense to Colgate but they need the homefield more than anyone. I think it's painfully obvious their style of play does not fair well against the the top shelf FCS teams. Lehigh and Fordham have had success with pro style offenses and execution. Lafayette was competitive with size and strength. Colgate either needs to get bigger and stronger or try something else. Their style is similiar to the 'Pards but Lafayette always seems bigger than 'Gate.