BigApp
November 23rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Discuss

jsugamecocks1
November 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
i think it will be a good game that EKU wins closely

EKUSteve
November 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
It will be interesting to see. Same matchup, different head coaches since both Clawson and Hope moved on after the playoffs last year.

Based on Richmond's stats, I would say they win by run the ball, pass off of play action, stop the run and turn the other team over. I would doubt the UR gameplan would be any different than last year.

Does that sound right Spider fans?

We have been sporadic on offense this year. We have had some great games, but then other games that we barely move the ball. We have been winning lately by turning the other team over. We gave up 31 to Martin and 35 to Jax St and turn both of them over 5 times.

If our offense shows up, it will be a good game. If not, we'll be riding the defenese.

Maroons
November 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Your analysis of our strengths and weaknesses sounds spot on, Steve. I am interested to hear the from the Spiders fans...

ekufbfan
November 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
I think its pretty crappy that we go to Richmond, VA. We play them again this year, they should be coming to Richmond, KY...pi$$ed but not surprised. xeyebrowx

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
We do not allow anything on the ground and have, by total yardage allowed this year, the first or second best defense among playoff teams. So if your offense is not a strong point, you will have to cause a few turnovers to win. Our offense hasn't been doing much lately, but I suspect we'll score 21 or 24 at least. Usually if we do that, we win.

Do you have a different QB than the ones we saw in last year's game? I couldn't remember if your starter was injured and didn't play vs. us or if we knocked him out early or what.

spdram
November 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
I can understand the desire to have a home game, but at least you will know the way here.

Our D has been our mainstay all season, knicknamed the Stonewall Defense. Sounds similar in that O has been sporatic. We can go deep on you and will throw several a game. EP'S and FG's have been money in the bank.

More later, looking forward to Saturday, we're hearing 1:00PM Sat afternoon, what are you hearing?

MaroonDoom
November 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Our QB is back. He came in the game banged up last year.

Maroons
November 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
I can understand the desire to have a home game, but at least you will know the way here.

Our D has been our mainstay all season, knicknamed the Stonewall Defense. Sounds similar in that O has been sporatic. We can go deep on you and will throw several a game. EP'S and FG's have been money in the bank.

More later, looking forward to Saturday, we're hearing 1:00PM Sat afternoon, what are you hearing?

Our teams sound virtually identical! xnutsx

Cocky
November 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
CAA gets 3 home games and 5 teams so I call it East Coast bias.

EKU Pride
November 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Do you have a different QB than the ones we saw in last year's game? I couldn't remember if your starter was injured and didn't play vs. us or if we knocked him out early or what.

Our starting QB, Al Holland only played the 1st quarter, he had a lingering shoulder injury going into the game and left around the 2nd quarter. Josh Greco came in and played the remainder of the game.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
It's all about the Stonewall Defense. Given UR's offense's shotty play of late, I think this will be a very low scoring game.

Weems
November 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
EKU's Linebackers will make the difference... Ask any UTM fan and they will tell you the same :(

ur2k
November 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
My recollection of last year's game was that we were a lot more physical than EKU, we won the battles in the trenches. It was also cold that day, so our power football game helped out.

This year, I would expect more of the same. I think our defense is better and if you guys don't have a very good O-Line, our D-Ends will get after your QB. On O - we look a little lost right now, we're not very dynamic at this point but are doing enough to win. Josh Vaughan had a pretty good game against EKU last year (so did Hightower) and I would expect us to use him alot on Saturday.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM
My recollection of last year's game was that we were a lot more physical than EKU, we won the battles in the trenches. It was also cold that day, so our power football game helped out.

This year, I would expect more of the same. I think our defense is better and if you guys don't have a very good O-Line, our D-Ends will get after your QB. On O - we look a little lost right now, we're not very dynamic at this point but are doing enough to win. Josh Vaughan had a pretty good game against EKU last year (so did Hightower) and I would expect us to use him alot on Saturday.

This is not smacktalk, but...........my recollection of last year's game is that EKU was not one of the better teams UR faced.

Maroons
November 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
This is not smacktalk, but...........my recollection of last year's game is that EKU was not one of the better teams UR faced.

I'm sure EKU wasn't the best team you faced last year... perhaps not even one of the best 3. But that was also not one of EKU's best performances that day.

I expect our senior QB to perform well in what could be his swan song. If that happens, I look for a very competitive game because I believe the defense can keep the Colonels in it.

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
We just picked off one of the best QBs in the country, Jake Phillips of W&M, seven times yesterday, so I like our defensive odds against any passing QB. That said, we needed OT to score 23 points. So we will have to improve on that to win on Saturday.

redspider
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I will say I really like this matchup for us we get to get a home game against a team I think we will beat EKU. I think that our defense is strong enough to get us pass EKU. I am apprehensive about play App state again though in the next round if we win.

JMU Newbill
November 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
UR has a great defense... I strongly suggest that no one from EKU underestimates them

ekufbfan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
UR has a great defense... I strongly suggest that no one from EKU underestimates them

Underestimate them? Ha! We aren't in a position to underestimate anyone, so that's not gonna' happen. We have a Coach who is a down to earth, hard nosed, hardworking defensive mind himself (former defensive coordinator at Wake Forest last year). It will take everything we have got to win this game and on the road no less. EKU HAS been in the playoffs numerous times,(19 times I believe) we know what to expect and won't be taking anything or anyone lightly.

GO EKU!

spdram
November 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
We just picked off one of the best QBs in the country, Jake Phillips of W&M, seven times yesterday, so I like our defensive odds against any passing QB. That said, we needed OT to score 23 points. So we will have to improve on that to win on Saturday.

Actually it was only 6 picks and we knocked him around enough he fumbled once that we recovered.

redspider
November 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Update on the game our website (richmondspiders.com) confirms it will be at 1 pm on saturday. http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112308aab.html

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Update on the game our website (richmondspiders.com) confirms it will be at 1 pm on saturday. http://richmondspiders.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112308aab.html

Thank goodness. I was getting tired of night playoff games. :)

Who's up for some AM tailgating?

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Richmond defense, which was good last year, is better this year. Logan's return alone upgraded this unit. Their secondary is also better this year.

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
EKU vs Richmond stats..

EKU ------- Richmond

23.2 --- 32.5 - points for
21.5 --- 16.7 - points against
113 --- 189 - rush off
135 --- 100 - rush def
190 --- 174 - pass off
219 --- 150 - pass def
303 --- 363 - total off
354 --- 249 - total def

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
EKU vs Richmond stats..

EKU ------- Richmond

23.2 --- 39.0 - points for
21.5 --- 20.0 - points against
113 --- 189 - rush off
135 --- 100 - rush def
190 --- 174 - pass off
219 --- 150 - pass def
303 --- 363 - total off
354 --- 249 - total def

Now compare the schedules against which those stats were accomplished.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
EKU vs Richmond stats..

EKU ------- Richmond

23.2 --- 39.0 - points for
21.5 --- 20.0 - points against
113 --- 189 - rush off
135 --- 100 - rush def
190 --- 174 - pass off
219 --- 150 - pass def
303 --- 363 - total off
354 --- 249 - total def

Scoring stats are wrong for UR. They averaged 32.5, and gave up 16.7.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Yes that looked off to me, especially the Points Against. Thanks!

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM

corrected

MoreheadEagle
November 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
This is probably the best chance the OVC has had to break the losing streak in a while. I'll actually have to root for EKU. :D

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
This is probably the best chance the OVC has had to break the losing streak in a while. I'll actually have to root for EKU. :D

Not sure how you arrive at that. This Richmond team is better than last years edition.

Eight Legger
November 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I am sure our defense is hungry to return to Boone and play with a full complement as opposed to last year's game there, when we were missing a bunch of regulars. I think you will see a performance on Saturday that shows just how badly they want to redeem themselves.

MaroonDoom
November 24th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks MoreheadEagle I now it is tough to root for EKU, but we will need all the backing we can get. Richmond is strong.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Not sure how you arrive at that. This Richmond team is better than last years edition.

No we're not. On defense yes, though Stephen Howell is a big loss. On offense Ward seems to be regressing a bit, and the O-Line is banged up and struggling.

MaroonDoom
November 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
No you guys are tough! We are struggling worse.

DTSpider
November 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
UR's defense is significantly better than last year IMO. The secondary has improved with more speed, and the d-line is healthy. Like all teams this time of year we have injury issues, but I view the backups we have playing now as better than the backups that played last year. Actually, they are many of the same guys, but now have experience.

On offense, we've gotten too one dimensional. It's great that Vaughan is running for 150 yards a game, but we're only getting about 250 yards of total offense. We essentially run a prevent offense and hope that the defense scores points. The funny thing is that I like some of the down the field weapons we have, we just seem scared to use them after the first quarter.

Special teams has struggled on coverage this year. I view that as the major opportunity for EKU to change the game.

MaroonDoom
November 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I saw those highlights against W&M. Vaughn is a tank & defense looks fast.

ur2k
November 24th, 2008, 11:46 AM
No we're not. On defense yes, though Stephen Howell is a big loss. On offense Ward seems to be regressing a bit, and the O-Line is banged up and struggling.

Michael Ireland is playing great out of the safety position (see JMU game) Hatcher has been good too. I think our D this year is better than last. With Logan back and Rogers in there along with all the others it's usually a tough day for the other team's offense.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Michael Ireland is playing great out of the safety position (see JMU game) Hatcher has been good too. I think our D this year is better than last. With Logan back and Rogers in there along with all the others it's usually a tough day for the other team's offense.

Oh I agree. Our DBs are very good. Although the nickelback Williams (#24 w/the long hair) gets burned a lot and isn't a strong tackler (he's the biggest reason for that W&M punt return too). I think Ireland is terrific but Armanti owned him last year when he was subbing for Howell. I can't think of who will play the shadow in a potential 2nd round game.

We definitely missed Logan in last year's playoffs.

Eight Legger
November 24th, 2008, 11:59 AM
We didn't have Logan or Sidbury for the App State game....that makes a big difference. I think those two will own EKU's line in this game and make for a long day for their QB.

For any EKU fans...do you guys still have that wide receiver who got banged up in last year's game and was wandering around on our sideline for 15 minutes? We felt bad for that kid...must have been quite a concussion. I hope he is able to play this year if he's still on the team.

MaroonDoom
November 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Not for sure about the WR. Might be one that is the pokey now. We have relied on our tough D all year. If the offense sputters again, this will be a long day for EKU.

GOODY26
November 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
xpeacex Richmond.......... 28 Eastern Kentucky........14

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/9/3/rp_primary_JamarJohnson_08_VSU1.jpg

ur2k
November 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
We didn't have Logan or Sidbury for the App State game....that makes a big difference. I think those two will own EKU's line in this game and make for a long day for their QB.

For any EKU fans...do you guys still have that wide receiver who got banged up in last year's game and was wandering around on our sideline for 15 minutes? We felt bad for that kid...must have been quite a concussion. I hope he is able to play this year if he's still on the team.

That was the darndest thing I've seen at a football game. That player was just hanging out wandering up and down our sideline for a long time. It looked like he thought he was in Richmond, KY not Richmond, VA. When the EKU staff finally realized he was lost and came over they walked him promptly over to the ambulance for medical attention.

Back to the topic at hand. EKU fans, what's your opinion of your offensive line? I can just about guarantee you haven't seen defensive ends like ours this year. What type of offense do you run? We tend to load up on pro-style teams and have more problems with spread-type offenses with fast dual threat QBS (ie. Landers, Edwards, Whitney).

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
bump

MoreheadEagle
November 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM

I think this year's EKU is better than last season's. After a slow start the Colonels have been able to find ways to win and I think they match up well with Richmond.

MaroonDoom
November 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
OL is solid. Offense is spread. Good receivers & spread it around quite well. RB can be explosive, but offense is very well balanced. Hold our hats on solid D.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
OL is solid. Offense is spread. Good receivers & spread it around quite well. RB can be explosive, but offense is very well balanced. Hold our hats on solid D.
This is true

Maroons
November 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
On defense, we have played well against teams that have traditionally been run-heavy offenses and been exploited by good passing attacks. However, if our offense cannot eat up some time, I fear your bruising style will wear out the defense. On D, I believe our best players to be on the D-Line and at the safety positions. They seem to have been the game changers thus far. While I certainly respect what you can do on offense, you cannot tell me that your current RB is on the level of Hightower.

Make no mistake, the Spiders will be rightful favorites... but I believe EKU is better this year. Our QB rarely turns the ball over and even if he spends the whole game running for his life, it won't be the first time this season. What I expect are two old-school hard-nosed approaches to the game with stingy defenses... a low scoring affair. I do believe last year's game would have been closer had Holland played and been healthy.

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
On defense, we have played well against teams that have traditionally been run-heavy offenses and been exploited by good passing attacks. However, if our offense cannot eat up some time, I fear your bruising style will wear out the defense. On D, I believe our best players to be on the D-Line and at the safety positions. They seem to have been the game changers thus far. While I certainly respect what you can do on offense, you cannot tell me that your current RB is on the level of Hightower.

True, but last year's line:
Net Rushing Yards for UR: 278 xeekx
Hightower 31-180, 5.8 per carry
Vaughan 9-85, 9.4 per carry xeekx

I remember watching that game with my friends (along with the 2007 W&M season finale where Vaughan ripped of 132 yds and 2 TDs) and we were saying "You know, we might be OK next year without Hightower."

DTSpider
November 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
You're right, Vaughan is not as good as Hightower. That's a fair statement since Hightower is just a truly great running back. Vaughan is darn good though. What hurts is that we don't have a healthy 2nd back this year that is close in ability. So, we can't sub out like we did last year and get the great production.

That being said, I expect UR to throw the ball early and if we get a lead it'll be a lot of Vaughan. I expect a 20-13 type of game.

EKUSteve
November 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Sounds familiar. We picked off the UT Martin QB four times in the first half and had a fumble recovery in the first half as well and ended up having to block a field goal on the last play to beat Martin.

DTSpider
November 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM
it'll be interesting to see if eku throws towards rogers...he's an all-american in my book.

EKU05
November 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Sounds familiar. We picked off the UT Martin QB four times in the first half and had a fumble recovery in the first half as well and ended up having to block a field goal on the last play to beat Martin.

Let's not forget that we picked off last year's SEC title game MVP Ryan Perriloux 5 times earlier this season. Our defense has a way of making good QBs make bad throws because in both of those cases most of the the interceptions were gifts to the DBs and Linebackers.

aust42
November 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Of all the teams Delaware played this year Richmond had the best defense I saw this year by far including 1A Maryland. Their two defensive ends just beotched slapped our O-Tackles all day long like they were little boys. Granted our O-line sucked this year but Richmond's defense is the best I have seen in a long time. It might take them a long way in the playoffs.

Maroons
November 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Is it really only Monday? I'm already tired of the talk and ready for some football.

charliej
November 24th, 2008, 09:21 PM
UR's defense is significantly better than last year IMO. The secondary has improved with more speed, and the d-line is healthy. Like all teams this time of year we have injury issues, but I view the backups we have playing now as better than the backups that played last year. Actually, they are many of the same guys, but now have experience.

On offense, we've gotten too one dimensional. It's great that Vaughan is running for 150 yards a game, but we're only getting about 250 yards of total offense. We essentially run a prevent offense and hope that the defense scores points. The funny thing is that I like some of the down the field weapons we have, we just seem scared to use them after the first quarter.

Special teams has struggled on coverage this year. I view that as the major opportunity for EKU to change the game.

Agreed.This looks like the UR team we saw this year.

TheOne14
November 24th, 2008, 09:53 PM
How has Hall-DE looked for EKU this year?

hawkeye
November 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM

He was faking and just wanting to get a closer look to see if your cheerleaders were really cross dressers.

MaroonDoom
November 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hall is solid & near the top in sacks & TFL.

TheOne14
November 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hall is solid & near the top in sacks & TFL.

I appreciate it MaroonDoom. We went to the same High School and I haven't really kept up with his college career. Glad to see he is playing well.

ejjones
November 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Winner, be ready to make a trip to unexpected Orangeburg, SC....you've heard it hear first....look for some cheap tix to Columbia, SC airport...about a 30 minute drive to Oliver C. Dawson Stadium. BTW; we do hold 22,000 fans. Richmond, you can drive, it's about 5.5 hours down I-95, take exit number 97 (301 South for 30 minutes before you arrive in Orangeburg. Make a right on us 178/21 (stay on for about 1.1 miles), then turn left on Russel Street, Stadium will be on Right. Good luck, and safe travels...

ViennaSpider
November 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Winner, be ready to make a trip to unexpected Orangeburg, SC....you've heard it hear first....look for some cheap tix to Columbia, SC airport...about a 30 minute drive to Oliver C. Dawson Stadium. BTW; we do hold 22,000 fans. Richmond, you can drive, it's about 5.5 hours down I-95, take exit number 97 (301 South for 30 minutes before you arrive in Orangeburg. Make a right on us 178/21 (stay on for about 1.1 miles), then turn left on Russel Street, Stadium will be on Right. Good luck, and safe travels...

I'd be delighted with that matchup. By the way, UR Stadium holds 21K+.

EKU05
November 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
How has Hall-DE looked for EKU this year?

He's had a very nice year. We're all very aware of Chris becuase his father is a regular poster on the EKUpride.com board.

TheOne14
November 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM
He's had a very nice year. We're all very aware of Chris becuase his father is a regular poster on the EKUpride.com board.

Good Luck against Richmond this week, hopefully we will see you all in Boone soon

DTSpider
November 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Article in the Richmond paper today about the two coaches. There are a lot of familiar faces at EKU as well to the spider faithful.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB25_20081124-205225/120043/

MaroonDoom
November 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I am sure if they both keep moving forward there stays at each school will be short.

ejjones
November 26th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'd be delighted with that matchup. By the way, UR Stadium holds 21K+.

ok, you guys stadium holds 21K+, committee would love to play a little further south, especially with the beautiful field turf, and the fact that we average 18K+. Go Dogs!

MaroonDoom
November 26th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Settle down guys, one game at a time.

DTSpider
November 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Settle down guys, one game at a time.

Exactly.

Just one comment on UR Stadium (or City Stadium if you're from Richmond). UR back in the early 1990s spent a small fortune to completely rebuild the field from the drainage up in order to host the NCAA soccer finals. The result is a grass field that is one of better surfaces to play on. Of course, the rest of the facility is an absolute dump. I cannot wait until the new stadium is open and we can stop dealing with City owned property.

Sadly, the City did not approve the continued use of the facility by the NCAA and UR had to stop hosting the soccer finals.

MaroonDoom
November 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hopefully the grass is good & high to slow down Mr. Vaughn. The way the economy is nowadays we are lucky any schools are still funding football & any facility upgrades, etc.?

colonelblitz
November 26th, 2008, 02:20 PM
That's what I thought about UR. xeyebrowx

colonelblitz
November 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
November 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hopefully the grass is good & high to slow down Mr. Vaughn. The way the economy is nowadays we are lucky any schools are still funding football & any facility upgrades, etc.?

Yep, we always make sure that our field is perfectly tailored to stop our team's strengths. Pretty smart on our part, I think.

DTSpider
November 26th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Well, considering that EKU is supposed to have a spread offense with speedy wideouts, and UR has an offense based on power running with a 250 pound running back, long grass and a slow surface actually would benefit UR.

colonelblitz
November 27th, 2008, 07:31 AM
GO COLONELS....xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xwhistlex

colonelblitz
November 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Colonels are in Richmond...xthumbsupx Lets play some football...:)

spdram
November 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I understand there are some great parties around town tonight, they'll shut down no earlier than 5:00AM (college age only) do your guys want directions?xsmiley_wix

Looks like great weather, the rain is coming in latter than expected. Come on over to the Spider Club lot during tailgating and introduce yourself, you'll find some good people.

DTSpider
November 29th, 2008, 04:57 AM
It's finally gameday! Lots open in 4 hours. Can't wait to get to the stadium.

EKUSteve
November 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Looking forward to a great game today between the Colonels and the Spiders. Everyone there enjoy. I be stuck watching on the net again.

redspider
November 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
In just a few minutes we have seen the best and worse of the UR team. First of all the punt that went off the leg of the receiver followed by the one which the punter dropped showed our constant mistake on special teams. Those are the kind of mistakes we have made against W&M. While the interception showed just what our defense can do that it is amazing. Now the off an on unit which I think will make the difference is our offense sometime especially if we get our run game established we look really good and other times we just don't show up.

redspider
November 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
There we go I have been saying it all year we are not using Kevin Grayson's skills enough he only have 1 TD all year and his yardage is way down. We needed him to step up and that was the best pass I have seen Eric Ward throw all day. Lets go Spiders!

MacThor
November 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
That's what I thought about UR. xeyebrowx

Very impressive you won the OVC then if you had to play several teams more than 17 points better than you. :)