JMUSaxMRD
November 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
JMU 38 Wofford 24

wocorebel
November 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Wofford 35 JMU 24

vaughtdj
November 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
JMU runs an offense very similar to App St. and based off that last App St.- Wofford game, jmu should manhandle the terrier defense. Defensivly, Wofford might find it hard to run their quirky option style play because JMU perenially plays VMI- an option team- every year and Matthews knows how to coach against them. Factor in home field advantage, I see this one a suprisingly easy game for JMU:

JMU 42
Wofford 20

thmst30
November 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I hope Wofford makes Mickey eat his words. GO WOFFORD!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
JMU runs an offense very similar to App St. and based off that last App St.- Wofford game, jmu should manhandle the terrier defense. Defensivly, Wofford might find it hard to run their quirky option style play because JMU perenially plays VMI- an option team- every year and Matthews knows how to coach against them. Factor in home field advantage, I see this one a suprisingly easy game for JMU:

JMU 42
Wofford 20

LoL, you can't compare VMI and Wofford. I don't think you guys can be on the level of play that App had on that day, either.

Wofford may be the most underrated team in the country. Their offense has pretty much been on fire all year long. The amount of points they put on South Carolina is comparable to the points put on them by Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, and Tennessee. They also put more on Furman than any other team (including ASU and Virginia Tech). Same thing with Elon. I'll be shocked if you guys hold them to 20.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Should be a great match-up.

Go Dukes.

beauvighn
November 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Wofford is no VMI. and JMU is no App St. Even though you beat App early, you have no AE so stop comparing your offense to App's.

Now, JMU should and will be favored. You should win the game. If not, JMU will have pulled a major choke job. In other words, you have everything to lose and nothing to gain bhy playing Wofford. We are going to run the option. If you stop it ...we are going to keep running it. Kind of like Ga. Tech did against Miami last thursday.

I forgot about Mickey Mouse matthews. he is getting to play a team froma very weak league. Again, No way you guys don't beat us ...is there? Ask Montana what Wofford can do to a seeded team.

MaxASU'81
November 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Discuss

We just need to take care of business! Win against SC State! then.....xthumbsupx

flexbone
November 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Woffy got hosed, again!
Elon got hosed!
I guess the only REAL team the SoCon has is App St!

I hope Woffy kisks the snot out of JMU!!!!!

I understand the CAA is good - last year 5 in I can see - This year
I DONT THINK SO

vaughtdj
November 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
im not saying that vmi and wofford are similar in talent... theyre similar in style. and jmu has played against the option very well in years past, so i think that should give jmu much more confidence than if jmu was not used to seeing the option.

and no, we don't have our opwn armanti edwards. we have landers, who kicked ae's butt two months ago and will probably do it again on dec. 19!

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Woffy got hosed, again!
Elon got hosed!
I guess the only REAL team the SoCon has is App St!

I hope Woffy kisks the snot out of JMU!!!!!

I understand the CAA is good - last year 5 in I can see - This year
I DONT THINK SO

...your post could of used some sad and slow violin music in the background. xrolleyesx

Cranium716
November 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Best first round matchup. Hopefully, this will the televised first-round game on ESPN2.

However, this underscores the pitfall of the I-AA playoffs. No way the #1 seed should be playing one of the top teams in the field. That said, JMU takes it 54-35.

jmufan999
November 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Wofford is no VMI. and JMU is no App St. Even though you beat App early, you have no AE so stop comparing your offense to App's.

Now, JMU should and will be favored. You should win the game. If not, JMU will have pulled a major choke job. In other words, you have everything to lose and nothing to gain bhy playing Wofford. We are going to run the option. If you stop it ...we are going to keep running it. Kind of like Ga. Tech did against Miami last thursday.

I forgot about Mickey Mouse matthews. he is getting to play a team froma very weak league. Again, No way you guys don't beat us ...is there? Ask Montana what Wofford can do to a seeded team.

your first paragraph implies the game will be closer than Wofford-ASU, since JMU is no ASU, and Wofford is no VMI.

your second paragraph doesn't imply, it EXPLICITLY (i know that's a big word, i'll give you a second to look it up) says it will be a "choke job" if we lose.

do YOU even know what your point was?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
your first paragraph implies the game will be closer than Wofford-ASU, since JMU is no ASU, and Wofford is no VMI.

your second paragraph doesn't imply, it EXPLICITLY (i know that's a big word, i'll give you a second to look it up) says it will be a "choke job" if we lose.

do YOU even know what your point was?

I'm pretty sure he went from seriousness to sarcasm somewhere in there.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
im not saying that vmi and wofford are similar in talent... theyre similar in style. and jmu has played against the option very well in years past, so i think that should give jmu much more confidence than if jmu was not used to seeing the option.

and no, we don't have our opwn armanti edwards. we have landers, who kicked ae's butt two months ago and will probably do it again on dec. 19!

Actually we don't run the wing t like VMI does, it's different and has improved our offense.

we're probably going to squib kick the whole game.

for JMU it all depend on how they prepare. If Mickey's attitude of the Socon being a one team conference rubs off on the team and they come in unprepared it will long day for the dukes.

jmufan999
November 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
oh and also, why are app state fans starting threads for all these other matchups? i mean, i don't really care that much... but you don't see JMU fans starting threads about the UNI-Maine matchup. why wouldn't you want to talk about your OWN matchup? seems very strange to me.

JMad03
November 23rd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Even though you beat App early, you have no AE so stop comparing your offense to App's.

You're right, we don't. We have a healthy Rodney Landers. And JMU is very proud to have him as our QB. You'll find out why next Saturday.

CharlestonAppFan
November 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
oh and also, why are app state fans starting threads for all these other matchups? i mean, i don't really care that much... but you don't see JMU fans starting threads about the UNI-Maine matchup. why wouldn't you want to talk about your OWN matchup? seems very strange to me.

BigApp does this every year for all 1st round matchups...welcome to AGS newbie xthumbsupx

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

its not important...my guess is that they are prob football fans. Looks like it might rain on saturday, hope it doesn't for tailgating sake.

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I would be upset if I were a JMU fan....first, that I was a JMU fan, and second, that we had to play Wofford in the first round. Not an easy draw at all. They run an offense that you don't see during the season. Will be interesting to see what happens here. We were fortunate to win at Wofford last year. I think the winner of this game is the first to 30.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
You're right, we don't. We have a healthy Rodney Landers. And JMU is very proud to have him as our QB. You'll find out why next Saturday.

Does he throw a good long ball? That will be the key to the game for JMU's offense.

Keep in mind that the last run heavy team wofford faced was shut down. Jmu's no samford but the OL can't be mush bigger.

ASUMountaineer
November 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Prediction: Either WoCo or JMU wins, and I'm going to say the team with the most points gets out of there with a W. xnodx

mcveyrl
November 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Prediction: Either WoCo or JMU wins, and I'm going to say the team with the most points gets out of there with a W. xnodx

You sir, are a maverick.

No complaining here. It's a tough first round match-up, but you gotta beat everybody to be a national champion. If we lose to Wofford in the first round, we would've lost to somebody else along the way.

Landers can throw. Ask W&M if he can throw. He just hasn't had to much all year.

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

...most points eh? Its crazy but it just might work!

Peems
November 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
This game will be over in 2 hours or less!!! Whoever attempts a pass first loses!!!

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM

I beg to differ on that. We don't have AE, but we do have Rodney Landers:
PASSING-GP---Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct-Yards--TD Long Avg/G
------------11---171.2 89--138 3 64.5 1236 15---55---112.4

RUSHING GP Att Gain--Loss Net--Avg TD Long Avg/G
------------11-201 1480 103 1377 6.9 14--62--125.2

Landers in the last 7 games: 12 TD passes, 0 INT.
http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamstat.htm?ATCLID=791903&SPSID=71033&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

AE has a QB rating of 178.46. landers has 171.2. AE's QB efficiency is 2nd in the nation behind Dally of Cal Poly. If Landers had the required 15 passes per game to be considered, he'd be 4th:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=2&year=2008&group=81

But Landers in 11 games has 1377 yards rushing, avg 125 a game. AE in 11 games has 890, avg of 81 a game.

Wofford is going to find out that Landers, with a different style, is in the same league as AE.

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
its Landers? Jesus, i've been calling him Flanders all damn year...boy is my face red. :o xrolleyesx

appmountaineer
November 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
JMU once again has to fight to the finish to win this one.
i'm going with 35-28.

I was shocked to see Wofford at JMU. But, i'm ok with it ;-)

BestOfBreed
November 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/stats/football/2008/teamstat.htm?ATCLID=791903&SPSID=71033&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400

AE has a QB rating of 178.46. landers has 171.2. AE's QB efficiency is 2nd in the nation behind of Cal Poly. If Landers had the required 15 passes per game to be considered, he'd be 4th:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=2&year=2008&group=81

But Landers in 11 games has 1377 yards rushing, avg 125 a game. AE in 11 games has 890, avg of 81 a game.

Wofford is going to find out that Landers, with a different style, is in the same league as AE.

Ben Widmeyer's QB rating is 190.35 and he would lead the nation if he had 15 passes a game. xcoffeex

Dukie95
November 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
The #2 Rushing Offense with the #108 Passing Offense faces the #4 Rushing Offense with the #111 Passing Offense.

This game will be quick!

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM

AE has a QB rating of 178.46. landers has 171.2. AE's QB efficiency is 2nd in the nation behind of Cal Poly. If Landers had the required 15 passes per game to be considered, he'd be 4th:

From what little I've seen from JMU I think Landers is a good player but Armanti is better, and at the same time their OL is better than App's so it kind of evens out.

Reign of Terrier
November 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
The #2 Rushing Offense with the #108 Passing Offense faces the #4 Rushing Offense with the #111 Passing Offense.

This game will be quick!

Darn....I thought we passed VMI,

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
its not important...my guess is that they are prob football fans. Looks like it might rain on saturday, hope it doesn't for tailgating sake.

For Pete's sake, we've already had rain for the either the tailgate, game or both with Duke, Maine, Nova, and W&M. Thats already more than a season's worth right there.

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
For Pete's sake, we've already had rain for the either the tailgate, game or both with Duke, Maine, Nova, and W&M. Thats already more than a season's worth right there.

the food might get a little soggy but the best thing about booze is that water can not hurt it!

Turfwar
November 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
The coaches knew it was going to be Wofford all along. The defense is hyped to play them, and it will be a fun game to attend.

I think JMU is playing on a different level than they were earlier in the year, it is hard to base the matchup on the ASU vs. JMU and ASU vs. Wofford model, Wofford is a much better team than the Halloween game.

As for the Landers and AE comp, I have seen Landers knock off many a helmet, and stiff arm many very large Defensive Tackles and Ends to the ground, and on the next play toss a 40 yard touchdown, he is a different kind of animal out there.

I am excited to have the Terriers come to JMU for the game, I hope everyone has a safe trip up and enjoys the tailgates and atmosphere here.

proasu89
November 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM

Uh, a trip to the second roundxnodx

back2back
November 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
You can't be "Hyped" to play D against Wofford, you have to play your assignment. It also helps to convert on 3rd down and stop them on the same. Remember 3rd and 8 is a running down. Romero will not want his career to end, he will get the ball in the clutch.

proasu89
November 23rd, 2008, 10:13 PM

This is a national board and BigApp starts the discussion threads every year. AND most importantly not every App fan is a complete homerxsmiley_wix

JMU Newbill
November 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
i like the matchup and I will tell you all why.....

god forbid we have to see a good football game!!!!!!!!!!

would you really rather of seen JMU play Liberty and win by 50? I wouldn't.

On top of that, we likely will have a second round rematch with Villanova. Personally, I'd rather have JMU go into that game (if we win) after playing a competitive game to avoid being over confident.

proasu89
November 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM

AE has a QB rating of 178.46. landers has 171.2. AE's QB efficiency is 2nd in the nation behind Dally of Cal Poly. If Landers had the required 15 passes per game to be considered, he'd be 4th:

Don't want to get caught in the middle of a pissing contest here, but has anybody besides Rodney taken more than 10 snaps this year? AE did not play yesterday and coupled w/ blowouts and injuries he has sat for 8-9 quarters.

JMU Newbill
November 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I have seen just about every snap this year. Rodney looks healthy and was on point throwing the ball against W&M two weeks ago.

I am willing to bet AE will be ready to go, regardless of any injury. He has already proven he is a gamer.... someone would have to snap his leg clean off for him to sit out. Then again, as cold as it was last time I was in Boone.... someone could have snapped my leg off and I would have never known.

matfu
November 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
montana thought they were unbeatable last year in montana and wofford whipped them. wofford does not make mistakes and ayers is a great coach. i hope wofford wins and think they have a very good chance. don't be deceived by the 70-24 app over wofford score.

Mike G.
November 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Without Appalachian, with any other team in the country but maybe 5 or 10, Wofford is undefeated in the socon. socon isnt a bad conference, and the Terriers are battle tested, more than capable of going into a cocky JMU and making them work for it. With that said, JMU makes it through and into Villanova. Didnt JMU almost lose to Villanova? Although i must say thanks for beating them because if you lose Appalachian is the one seed and in that very ugly top half.

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Don't want to get caught in the middle of a pissing contest here, but has anybody besides Rodney taken more than 10 snaps this year? AE did not play yesterday and coupled w/ blowouts and injuries he has sat for 8-9 quarters.

I know AE didn't play in the 12th ASU game vs WCU. Thats why I was able to compare them both over 11 games. And yes, Rodney has been pulled in the
-31-7 Duke loss (2nd series 4th qtr)
-56-7 win over NCCU (after only 1 series in the 3rd quarter)
-56-0 win over Hofstra (whole 4th qtr)
-41-7 win over UD (2 plays into 4th qtr)
-48-24 win over W&M (2nd series 4th qtr)
-58-27 win over Towson. (after 2 series 3rd qtr)

So backup Dudzick for JMU probably has played 6-7 full quarters worth. Outside of AE missing a game for sounds like Landers has sat for a similar amount of time as AE in the 11 games both have played in.

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Without Appalachian, with any other team in the country but maybe 5 or 10, Wofford is undefeated in the socon. socon isnt a bad conference, and the Terriers are battle tested, more than capable of going into a cocky JMU and making them work for it. With that said, JMU makes it through and into Villanova. Didnt JMU almost lose to Villanova? Although i must say thanks for beating them because if you lose Appalachian is the one seed and in that very ugly top half.

What makes you think JMU players are cocky? Remember, on this message board its not players but just a bunch of fans sitting behind keyboards with nothing better to do.

WOCO
November 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Should thread be titled " edwards vs landers"?

JMU Newbill
November 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
anyway.... moving on past all the bickering.... should be a great game saturday!

someone's defense has to step up and play big.... im hoping its JMU's D that steps up

appmaj
November 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Wofford has a chance to show Matthews what the SoCon is all about

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM

...I thought that was Apps job.

Mike G.
November 23rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
What makes you think JMU players are cocky? Remember, on this message board its not players but just a bunch of fans sitting behind keyboards with nothing better to do.

I have no idea weather or not the players are cocky... but i definately respect their coach and assume that they are not. But the school is cocky, everyone from there ive spoken to assumes invincibility since they beat app. And if you dont think campus morale rubs off on the football team, ask the Apps why they lost to Wofford and especially Ga. Southern last year. It wasnt because they were better teams, we won the Championship. Its because we assumed victory...as a campus, not as a team.

StrikeJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
JMU= close to 70% girls.

Girls= bad knowledge of their college team.

StrikeJMU= sexist post.

ASU_MBA
November 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Go wofford!!
Just don't kick the damn ball to scotty mcgee. No matter what.
I think wofford can win this one they are a better team than the halloween performance. I will be pulling for the poodles.

R3TRO
November 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
If Wofford fans have never been to JMU...after that game you will vomit at the site of streamers.

:pumpuke:

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Should thread be titled " edwards vs landers"?

When a Wofford fan writes "JMU is no App St. Even though you beat App early, you have no AE so stop comparing your offense to App's." that warrants a response.

GATA
November 23rd, 2008, 11:59 PM
I have no idea weather or not the players are cocky... but i definately respect their coach and assume that they are not. But the school is cocky, everyone from there ive spoken to assumes invincibility since they beat app. And if you dont think campus morale rubs off on the football team, ask the Apps why they lost to Wofford and especially Ga. Southern last year. It wasnt because they were better teams, we won the Championship. Its because we assumed victory...as a campus, not as a team.

I was thinking that you guys just got outplayed on those particular days...not sure why you would "assume" victory over two of the better opponents in the conference that year...

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I know AE didn't play in the 12th ASU game vs WCU. Thats why I was able to compare them both over 11 games. And yes, Rodney has been pulled in the

So backup Dudzick for JMU probably has played 6-7 full quarters worth. Outside of AE missing a game for sounds like Landers has sat for a similar amount of time as AE in the 11 games both have played in. Please stop making AE and Landers comparisons...they have nothing to do with anything in regards to both teams at this point or Wofford. App St wins with AE and JMU wins with Landers.....and that's it!!

JMU is going to have to play mistake free offense, assignment defense and take advantage of McGee's effect on special teams with the short fields to get past Wofford. The only comparision I think JMU and ASU has in common with playing Wofford is total team speed. JMU has as much team speed as ASU in all phases and this may be the primary advantage over Wofford. ASU exploited a miss-match in the Wofford secondary with #8 Quick...and never looked back as Wofford had no answer.

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I hope so, just like Elon showed Liberty....

Also, Matthews comments were in regards to someone in the SoCon knocking App St. off of their perch in Boone...and he was right no one did...so Wofford has nothing to prove now, it's too late...

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Also, Matthews comments were in regards to someone in the SoCon knocking App St. off of their perch in Boone...

No team from outside the SoCon has knocked us off in Boone in six years. xeekx It's not easy to do. It doesn't mean our conference sucks.

And, that's not simply what he said. He said "their league's not that good. Don't put that down." He can knock our conference if he wants to. That's fine, he's entitled to his opinion. But, he better back it up against Wofford.

inpsite1919
November 24th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Go Wofford!!!!!

DB_Atlantic10
November 24th, 2008, 03:35 AM
No team from outside the SoCon has knocked us off in Boone in six years. xeekx It's not easy to do. It doesn't mean our conference sucks.

And, that's not simply what he said. He said "their league's not that good. Don't put that down." He can knock our conference if he wants to. That's fine, he's entitled to his opinion. But, he better back it up against Wofford. This is true...I saw him say it live.....he said that the SoCon was not that good and that noone would challenge ASU and he was right... So which is it...is ASU just that good that even the tough yearly SoCon teams can't beat them at the rock.... If so, this was Matthew's point exactly. He made this statement on the 22nd of Sept in his weekly press conference that noone in the your league would beat ASU....

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 03:35 AM

hahahahahahaha....this one gets my vote for worst post of 2008.

all day, everyday we get bashed about "everything being about App" on here (which will happen with a large amount of the members support appalachian), and when somebody with an app avatar starts a thread on another game because it hasnt been started yet, its a bad thing?

alexale, is that you?xoopsx xrolleyesx xconfusedx

KiddBrewer
November 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
you can tell by reading this thread that JMU might just be Appalachian's biggest rival......

ASU
November 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Go Wofford!!!!!

Give 'em hell Terriers.......close Mickey Mouth's mouth forever......show 'em what the SoCon is capable of doing.

th0m
November 24th, 2008, 04:19 AM
This is what the playoffs are about...great pairings!

ASUMountaineer
November 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Crazy I know. Appalachian fans realize there is football outside of Boone...CRAZY! What is wrong with you? What is wrong with trying to learn about other teams? Isn't that the reason we're all here anyways, to learn about teams other than our own? Why would you come to AGS to talk about JMU all the time? To do that, just go to the Duke Message Board. xoopsx Did that just blow your mind newbie?

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 06:19 AM

I believe the Mickey Matthews quote could make you think that. I don't think the players will be cocky, but if Mickey prepares them thinking the SoCon is weak, they will come in unprepared.

DSUrocks07
November 24th, 2008, 06:23 AM
This is a national board and BigApp starts the discussion threads every year. AND most importantly not every App fan is a complete homerxsmiley_wix

give him a break...he must be new here xlolx

DLS
November 24th, 2008, 06:28 AM
This is true...I saw him say it live.....he said that the SoCon was not that good and that noone would challenge ASU and he was right... So which is it...is ASU just that good that even the tough yearly SoCon teams can't beat them at the rock.... If so, this was Matthew's point exactly. He made this statement on the 22nd of Sept in his weekly press conference that noone in the your league would beat ASU....

by that logic you could say that no one in the CAA has challenged JMU because no one beat them. so the CAA must not be that good?

xeyebrowx

ASUG8
November 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM

RUSHING: APPALACHIAN ST-Armanti Edwards 26-109, Robert Welton 17-92,
Devon Moore 5-6, T.J. Courman 1-1, Devin Radford 1-1. JMU-Rodney
Landers 20-113, Eugene Holloman 9-73, Kerby Long 3-23, Griff Yancey
3-10, - Team 3-MINUS 13.

PASSING: APPALACHIAN ST-Armanti Edwards 11-19-142- 1. JMU-Rodney
Landers 7-13-96- 2.

Did you watch the game? It was a special teams letdown.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Ok ASU fans can we seriously drop the whole ASU vs JMU, AE vs Landers thing in this thread? Seriously we can talk about this IF both teams make it to the Natl. Championship game. As for now I would like to focus on JMU vs Wofford. If you'd like to debate this further feel free to discuss it more on your forums or ours. That said glad to be hosting a first round game against a quality opponent. Best of luck to the Terriers and hope you enjoy your experience (and streamers) at Bridgeforth.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
There is decidedly little in this thread about this game, so here goes:

I'm encouraged by the fact that I think (hope?) that the 4-2-5 defense is well equipped to deal with the triple option style offense of Wofford. The DBs can spread out along the line and I hope they keep their assignments. I think it also helps to have an Buchnan watch safety roaming in the background to either be the defense of last resort or watch for a pass play. There will be plenty of speed on the defensive side of the ball for JMU.

Having said that, I'm concerned about facing an option attack with our young linebackers. Villanova exposed them pretty bad, and while they've gotten better the past few weeks, this will be their first look at an offense like this. Wofford will get some good yards on the ground. The key for us will be limiting the big play and making them work for their scores while we need to strike quickly. Landers will need to throw the ball more than he's used to, but I think he showed against W&M that he could do that.

Should be a great game. Like others said, I'd much rather have a good match-up like this than somebody we're supposed to blow out.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I hope so, just like Elon showed Liberty....

Also, Matthews comments were in regards to someone in the SoCon knocking App St. off of their perch in Boone...and he was right no one did...so Wofford has nothing to prove now, it's too late...

JMU's average marigin of victory in conference games: 23
App's average marigin of victory in conference games: 21.375

Take away the games with the second place teams and you have...
JMU's average marigin of victory: 25.71
App's average marigin of victory: 17.86

As far as the comparison of Landers to AE, ASU has been more of of a passing-oriented offense than JMU. And Wofford does have a pretty good rush D.

OLDMAIN80
November 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
This game will be over in 2 hours or less!!! Whoever attempts a pass first loses!!!

Most well thought out post of the thread. Peems has nailed this one in just two sentences.xbowx

Longhorn
November 24th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Did you watch the game? It was a special teams letdown.

Oh yea...I forgot that 62 yard run by Landers right through the middle of ASU for a TD was a special team let down. ;)

Scotty McGee's TD accounted for only 7 of the 35 points scored by JMU in the second half. So, while McGee might have gotten it started, there was a whole lot more to JMU's win than ASU's poor play on special teams.

th0m
November 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Special teams is part of the game. If it lets you down...well it doesn't discredit anything from the result of the game. If you're going to state your poor special teams....maybe you should just get better at it?

Now onward to JMU vs. Wofford.

Old Gold and Black
November 24th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Go wofford!!
Just don't kick the damn ball to scotty mcgee. No matter what.
I think wofford can win this one they are a better team than the halloween performance. I will be pulling for the poodles.

Punt? What's a punt?

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM
JMU/Wofford stats comparision...

Wofford --- JMU

36.6 --- 43.8 - points for
23.6 --- 22.6 - points against
343 --- 279 - rush off
115 --- 121 - rush def
127 --- 116 - pass off
246 --- 175 - pass def
470 --- 395 - total off
362 --- 297 - total def

proasu89
November 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM

So backup Dudzick for JMU probably has played 6-7 full quarters worth. Outside of AE missing a game for sounds like Landers has sat for a similar amount of time as AE in the 11 games both have played in.

Sorry about the brain fart last night. 12 game season didn't register at the time. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
JMU/Wofford stats comparision...

Wofford --- JMU

36.6 --- 43.8 - points for
23.6 --- 22.6 - points against
343 --- 279 - rush off
115 --- 121 - rush def
127 --- 116 - pass off
246 --- 175 - pass def
470 --- 395 - total off
362 --- 297 - total def

Thanks. These are always helpful and informative.

Should be a good one. xthumbsupx

beauvighn
November 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Punt? What's a punt?

We don't punt no stinking ball. God gave us 4 downs to get a first and by golly we are going to use all 4 of them suckers.

B&G
November 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't want to play Wofford in the 1st round of the playoffs. Here's a team that has gotten their stinker game out of the way against ASU. I really can not see them having a repeat performance of that. JMU has a huge home advantage but Wofford made the long flight to Montana last year and knocked them off in what's considered the toughest FCS stadium to play in. Additionally, Wofford doesn't have the most athletic defense which makes them vulnerable to the pass. But they have some strong guys on their defensive front who aren't going to be pushed around. Personally, I think Woffie's defense is tailor made to take on a team like JMU.

JMU, on the other hand, has the difference makers on their side. The key player is obviously Landers with McGee being an X-factor. Ultimately it will come down to how well Wofford contains those two players. I smell a real low scoring game here.

Advantages?
QB - JMU
RB - even
WR - even
OL - Woff
DL - even
LB - Woff
DB - JMU
K/P - JMU
KR - JMU

Anyone have a gripe about those advantages? I could be swayed.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't want to play Wofford in the 1st round of the playoffs. Here's a team that has gotten their stinker game out of the way against ASU. I really can not see them having a repeat performance of that. JMU has a huge home advantage but Wofford made the long flight to Montana last year and knocked them off in what's considered the toughest FCS stadium to play in. Additionally, Wofford doesn't have the most athletic defense which makes them vulnerable to the pass. But they have some strong guys on their defensive front who aren't going to be pushed around. Personally, I think Woffie's defense is tailor made to take on a team like JMU.

JMU, on the other hand, has the difference makers on their side. The key player is obviously Landers with McGee being an X-factor. Ultimately it will come down to how well Wofford contains those two players. I smell a real low scoring game here.

Advantages?
QB - JMU
RB - even
WR - JMU
OL - Woff
DL - even
LB - Woff
DB - JMU
K/P - JMU
KR - JMU

I think that's fair. I would probably move K/P to even (don't know much about Wofford's game there), we've been shaky at times

I don't know much about the Wofford DL, but they'd have to be pretty stacked to be even. Where we're going to play well is in the middle. Sam Daniels can blow up an O-line. If he can be consistent in standing his man up and shutting down the middle, our DBs can hopefully take away the outside pitch. Watching the two games against ASU (I know, I know, different points of the season) I thought we did a better job of getting pressure on AE.

Definite LB advantage for Wofford, we got rooks in there.

I might give Wofford the edge in RBs for the simple reason that their RBs get more involved in the play calling, but Holloman's great if he's on.

I would probably move WR to even, with maybe the exception of Rockheed McCarter. The only problem is that neither team uses them a whole lot.

But, those are homer changes to your picks. I think yours are fair even without the changes.

B&G
November 24th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I think that's fair. I would probably move K/P to even (don't know much about Wofford's game there), we've been shaky at times

I don't know much about the Wofford DL, but they'd have to be pretty stacked to be even. Where we're going to play well is in the middle. Sam Daniels can blow up an O-line. If he can be consistent in standing his man up and shutting down the middle, our DBs can hopefully take away the outside pitch. Watching the two games against ASU (I know, I know, different points of the season) I thought we did a better job of getting pressure on AE.

I might give Wofford the edge in RBs for the simple reason that their RBs get more involved in the play calling, but Holloman's great if he's on.

I would probably move WR to even, with maybe the exception of Rockheed McCarter. The only problem is that neither team uses them a whole lot.

But, those are homer changes to your picks. I think yours are fair even without the changes.

I did switch WR to even since they are barely used. I think I may keep DL as even. Although ASU blew up Wofford, I do think their DL played well in that game.

WOCO
November 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
The X factor in this game will be Andy Strickland from wofford. WR # 17. He doesn't get many touches but he is deffinitely one of the best WR's in FCS. He is in the top 5 in the nation in yards per catch and I think coach Ayers is about to open him up. I've never seen anybody walk him down. Not, SC, Clemson, West Virginia, NC State, Nobody. If JMU sells out on the run, he will have a huge game. We learned a lot from the App game. The JMU free safety wont be making tackles in the backfield any more on option (at least not more than once). We will go over his head if he does. That loss probably really helped us more than anything else. I think we got a little arrogant and thought we could run even if eleven were in the box. I think the offense is really going to show everything this week. It's going to be fun.

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Bo:
You beat me to it. WC <> VMI. I am pulling for you guys here. My advice is to keep running no matter what state of hystrionics Coach Mickey launches into. Limit the passes & don't get out of your option offense & you should be fine. JMU may not realize what just happened until its too late.

james_lawfirm
November 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM

McV:
I agree with you, with one exception. Comparing Wofford & App's option won't work. With Wofford, your D must stay home. Else, bad things happen.

AppGrad06
November 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Keys to this game in a nut-shell:
1) can JMU get a W if Wofford puts up their average 350+ yards on the ground?
2) does JMU have any WRs that create a mismatch down the field that can be exploited to open up the run game (Wofford will be prepared for the run)?

Discuss

fcsfootball71
November 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
FEAR THE TERRIER!!!!! you have to prepare for EVERYTHING with this team....option, spread, going for it on 4th down, fake punts....good luck

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
2) does JMU have any WRs that create a mismatch down the field that can be exploited to open up the run game (Wofford will be prepared for the run)?

Discuss

Being completely non-homerish I believe JMU will outgain Wofford in total yards (I believe we'll have more through the air). JMU's WR's McCarter, Williams, Long, and Yancey are all VERY capable. I believe both teams will rack up some yards it just comes down to who can punch it in to get the 6 instead of the 3.

South Carolina Duke
November 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
We don't punt no stinking ball. God gave us 4 downs to get a first and by golly we are going to use all 4 of them suckers.

You punted all game last year against Richmond, and you remember how that turned out.

WOCO
November 24th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Discuss

I'll tell you another huge factor. Time of possession. Samford had a huge running attack but it was shut down because Wofford held the ball 45 minutes of the game. I know, I know, JMU is Samford, but that is also a huge component to Woffords success. If we get up we put the other team in a bind. If a team gets up on us, It's difficult for us to come back and the game can snowball.

As to your points,
1. Wofford will get yards no matter what. We have to not turn the ball over though. 350 means nothing with 5 turnovers.
2. I'd love to know the answer to that one myself.

JMU Newbill
November 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
What does Wofford do to stop the run? Because if they cheat up, we have shown many times this year that we can throw the deep ball. I like Roc and the other receivers one on one with Landers running the play action.

Now if Wofford can stop the run without having their safeties playing up by the line... then yea... things could def get interesting.

WOCO
November 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM
What does Wofford do to stop the run? Because if they cheat up, we have shown many times this year that we can throw the deep ball. I like Roc and the other receivers one on one with Landers running the play action.

Now if Wofford can stop the run without having their safeties playing up by the line... then yea... things could def get interesting.

Wofford doesn't use the DB's very much to stop the run. Our DL is really good at getting off of blocks and our LB's can really run. Our DL practices against one of the biggest and best O-lines in the country every day. I don't know what kind of runner RL is. No disrespect to him. I just dont know. You know how FCS coverage goes. I know he is good, but is he the quick fast guy, or is he more of a power runner or both. The quick guys give us trouble, like any other team. The power guys aren't as effective because we get a lot of people to the ball.

MasonJar
November 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Lets look back at history to give us some indication of what might happen this year...

xdizzyx

ASU had a tough first round match up in JMU last year. JMU came in and played App very tough and could have won the game if it wasn't for ASU's potent offense and speed leading MM into some "tough" decisions.xrolleyesx (it wasn't just the fumble).

Wofford heads to JMU this year in a very similar match up to last years JMU/ASU and Wofford/Montana match ups... A very tough match up in the first round for both teams and Wofford has to travel.

Wofford comes in and plays JMU very tough, the game could go either way. Does JMU have a "turf monkey," hidden seam in the carpet, or some sort of Carma to help pull it out in the end? Don't know, but I think the game will be a good-un. xpopcornx

South Carolina Duke
November 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Wofford doesn't use the DB's very much to stop the run. Our DL is really good at getting off of blocks and our LB's can really run. Our DL practices against one of the biggest and best O-lines in the country every day. I don't know what kind of runner RL is. I know he is good, but is he the quick fast guy, or is he more of a power runner. The quick guys give us trouble, like any other team. The power guys aren't as effective because we get a lot of people to the ball.

Well WOCO,

To give you an idea of how Rodney Landers performs as a runner, he is the leading rusher in the CAA.

Not just fast, quick, elusive. the term "juke" is approriate and BIG, 6-2 220 big!

As far as DL's go, we play against Richmond who has one of the best defensive teams in the land.

terrierbob
November 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks. These are always helpful and informative.

Should be a good one. xthumbsupx

AND this includes Nightmare at the Rock.

Pitz
November 24th, 2008, 10:49 AM
JMU 77
Wofford 63

Skjellyfetti
November 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I'm encouraged by the fact that I think (hope?) that the 4-2-5 defense is well equipped to deal with the triple option style offense of Wofford. The DBs can spread out along the line and I hope they keep their assignments. I think it also helps to have an Buchnan watch safety roaming in the background to either be the defense of last resort or watch for a pass play. There will be plenty of speed on the defensive side of the ball for JMU.

Furman switched to the 4-2-5 this year. They definitely didn't get the results they wanted to against Wofford. Now, JMU is much more talented on defense than Furman.. but, this should be a great game. Wish I could watch it. :(

GOODY26
November 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM
xpeacex James Madison..........42 Wofford........38

http://www.nsuspartans.com/images/2008/11/24/rp_primary_DeAngeloBranche_08_WSSU1.jpg

Laserlips
November 24th, 2008, 11:13 AM
JMOfartO:

I think Wofford can win...xnodx

And, I hope they do.....:)

Jesse

blitz4
November 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Whoever wins the turnover battle will win! I am going to say that Wofford wins the turnover battle and pulls the game out......34-24.

Go Wofford!!!

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
McV:
I agree with you, with one exception. Comparing Wofford & App's option won't work. With Wofford, your D must stay home. Else, bad things happen.

That's true. I guess I was just comparing the way each D-line performed against App's line than anything else. We definitely will be less focused on getting pressure on Widmyer and more on spreading everybody out. But, if our DT's can stuff the middle, one of the options is taken away. Then we'll have to rely on LB and DB pursuit to stop the outside stuff.

Discuss

1) JMU can win if that happens, but we'll have to make it 350 pain staking yards (i.e., ground it out) and then have some quick strikes. It all depends on how they get the 350 yds. (I know, Captain Obvious on that one).

2) Rockeed McCarter is a mismatch for a lot of I-AA DBs. He was triple teamed on the Villanova Hail Mary and opened up some other receivers.
Kerby Long doesn't play a true WR position, more of a "flex" type deal. He will be in motion a lot and will sometimes take a handoff and sometimes head down field. He's pretty banged up though, so I'm not sure how much he will have an impact.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 24th, 2008, 11:24 AM
My question is what will CN8 TV do with the rest of their scheduled time when this game is over after an hour and 15 minutes?

At least I'm assuming it will be on CN8, I better be able to watch this one.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 11:26 AM
My question is what will CN8 TV do with the rest of their scheduled time when this game is over after an hour and 15 minutes?

At least I'm assuming it will be on CN8, I better be able to watch this one.

JMU Ticket office is saying that the gametime will be announced in the next couple of hours. They are trying to work out several logistics, including a TV deal.

Old Gold and Black
November 24th, 2008, 11:31 AM
The analysis is almost always the same when talking about a game against Wofford. We are a system based team, sound in fundamentals and don't make penalties or turnovers. Typically, we will have less talent than the opponent across the field (though the difference has improved in recent years). Wofford wins games by not making mistakes, ball control and patience. If a team with superior talent can match Wofford's execution, then it usually means a long day for Wofford. If not, then Wofford has good chance to beat any team.

As for this week's match up, I think Newbill had it right. Wofford has very young safeties that can be beaten deep as has been shown throughout the season. If Wofford has to cheat with the safeties to stop the run, then the deep ball will be available to JMU and it could cause Wofford to get in a hole early which is never good for us.

ur2k
November 24th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Key to the game (IMHO) will be JMU's Linebackers. That unit has been banged up and you have to play a very disciplined game on D to contain Wofford will all the looks they give you out of their option O.

JMU is going to score points (many of them) - will Woff be able to score many points to match? That I'm not so sure about.

Oh, and Don't kick to McGee!

WOCO
November 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=ur2k;1225699]Key to the game (IMHO) will be JMU's Linebackers. That unit has been banged up and you have to play a very disciplined game on D to contain Wofford will all the looks they give you out of their option O.

JMU is going to score points (many of them) - will Woff be able to score many points to match? That I'm not so sure about.

Oh, and Don't kick to McGee![/QUOTE

Turnovers will decide the game. Point blank period. Wofford tends to get extra posessions because we go for it on 4th down. It's not out of desperation either. It's because our offense is designed to pick up 5 yards on almost every play. When we get to 4th, its often shorter than that. If we can hold onto the ball, it will be interesting because time of possession will really come into play.

Rekdiver
November 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
If history is a predictor then JMU may be in trouble. 1 and done puts pressure on JMU they haven't faced and WC is very hungry....

It's a pickem and an oT game.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
If history is a predictor then JMU may be in trouble. 1 and done puts pressure on JMU they haven't faced and WC is very hungry....

Different history line to follow. We're at home this time around.:)

blitz4
November 24th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I may remind you guys that Widmyer ran a 65 yard toughdown against the SC Gamecocks who has the best run do in the sec.

Appaholic69
November 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Eric Brietenstein get in the end zone at least once. He played very good against us, in fact, he had 157 or so yards that goolish night.

All I know is that I can't stand the Woofies but I'm damn sure hoping they kick the dukies tails.!!!

Saint3333
November 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I believe this game will either be a 3 point Wofford win or a 17 point JMU win. The key to beating Wofford is to get up by two scores in the first half and then force them to throw more than they'd like (10-12 times a game).

My prediction is Q1 - 7-7 tie, Half - 21-10 JMU, Q3 - 31-17 JMU, End - 41- 24 JMU. I'll pull for my SoCon brother, but JMU has more talented individuals. Luckily for Wofford is a team sport and there is a chance.

GreatAppSt
November 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
bump

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
There is decidedly little in this thread about this game, so here goes:

Having said that, I'm concerned about facing an option attack with our young linebackers. Villanova exposed them pretty bad, and while they've gotten better the past few weeks, this will be their first look at an offense like this. Wofford will get some good yards on the ground. The key for us will be limiting the big play and making them work for their scores while we need to strike quickly. Landers will need to throw the ball more than he's used to, but I think he showed against W&M that he could do that.

Should be a great game. Like others said, I'd much rather have a good match-up like this than somebody we're supposed to blow out.

I don't think Rodney will need to throw much more that usual. Sure Wofford gives up only 115 yards per game rushing, but JMU averages 279 per game rushing. UR only gives up 100 yards per game rushing, 88 in their other 11 games besides JMU, and JMU had 226 against UR. Nova only gives up 80 rushing yards per game, 65 in their other 10 games besides JMU and JMU had 169 against Nova, JMU's lowest output of the year, but did pass for 184 that game. I would imagine Wofford's defense isn't as good as UR or Nova's, the 1st and 3rd ranked defense defenses in the CAA respectively (JMU is #2), and #2 and #1 in the CAA against the run. JMU doesn't need to strike quickly. I'd rather see long, drawn out drives. Best defense is ball control offense...

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/8500/Stats/FB/2008/confstat.htm?DB_OEM_ID=8500

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Team stats:
http://athletics.wofford.edu/documents/2008/11/22/Week%2011%20stats.pdf?path=football

19Duke97
November 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I hope we bury Wofford, and move to the championship, beat App State again (assuming they get there), just so the SoConn apologists can pipe down. There is no, and I mean 0 reason why JMU can't beat the App State again. Period. They are not better, they don't have better players top to bottom. they looked average against a weak Elon team. Gimme a break, JMU can will this whole thing and our team is as good as or better than any in FCS.

blitz4
November 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Also dont forget that Wofford had 400 yards rushing against the great appstate defense however gave up 5 turnovers.

StrikeJMU
November 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I hope we bury Wofford, and move to the championship, beat App State again, just so the SoConn apologists can pipe down. There is no, and I mean 0 reason why JMU can't beat the App State again. Period. They are not better, they don't have better players top to bottom. they looked average against a weak Elon team. Gimme a break, JMU can will this whole thing and our team is as good as or better than any in FCS.

...lets not bite our tongue before the first round. Wofford will come to play, as they should, but anyone thinking that JMU has worked this hard only to roll over and die at home is insane. Lets take it one week at a time, this week being the Terriers. On that note...

Me- "We are playing Wofford in the home playoff game"
Friend- "What the hell is a Wofford?"
Me- "App State's sister"

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Advantages?
QB - JMU
RB - even
WR - even
OL - Woff
DL - even
LB - Woff
DB - JMU
K/P - JMU
KR - JMU

Dude, 1st of all you need to get your smelling checked. I think these 2 teams will go for at least 70+ points. The only thing that will hold scoring down a little is the new clock rule combined with the fact that JMU rushes the ball about 76% of the time and Wofford rushes it about 82% of the time, you might only see about 110-120 offensive plays (Wofford avg 67 offensive plays per game and JMU 63) with only about 25 of them passing. This game could be over in 2 1/2 hrs if its not on TV.

-2nd of all, JMU is loaded in the backfield. 3 very good tailbacks (Holloman, Yancey, Sullivan). We'll see who has the best backfield

-4th of all, JMU is loaded at receiver- goes 6 deep. JMU doesn't pass much, a lot, but when Landers does, he's very effective throwing the ball to JMU's receivers.

-5th, JMU has their best o-line since 04'. They are big (listed avg about 6'3 1/2", 304). We'll see who has the better o-line.

-6th, as far as the D-line, JMU has one of the top 2 front 4s in the CAA along with UR (Nova plays a 3-4 so a little harder to compare). Abdul-Wahid was 2nd team All CAA last season, and he is the 3rd or 4th best lineman on JMU's line this season. UD's coach called JMU DT the best DT in the league. Article from about 3 weeks ago:

"On the eve of his team's 41-7 loss at JMU this past Saturday, Delaware coach K.C. Keeler called Daniels "the best player in the league on defense." And Keeler had high praise for the entire unit.

"I think this is as good a defensive line as you'll see in the league," Keeler said."
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32996&CHID=3

Again, we'll see who has the better D-line.

As far as your advantages assessment, you're way off.

mcveyrl
November 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM
anyone thinking that JMU has worked this hard only to roll over and die at home is insane.

To this point (from a philosophical froo-froo standpoint):

This weekend is the second part of JMU's "closure" from last year's loss to ASU. It was important, I think, for us to beat ASU at home, but winning during the season does not completely make up for losing in the playoffs like that. So, like 9/20 was our first game against ASU since that loss, this weekend is our first playoff game since that loss. I don't think the point will be lost on the players or coaches.

They'll come out ready to play, as I'm sure Wofford will too.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2008, 02:27 PM

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Huh, I gues JMU didn't face pressure with a one and done in 06' and 07'. I guess JMU isn't hungry either.

Reign of Terrier
November 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Dude, 1st of all you need to get your smelling checked. I think these 2 teams will go for at least 70+ points. The only thing that will hold scoring down a little is the new clock rule combined with the fact that JMU rushes the ball about 76% of the time and Wofford rushes it about 82% of the time, you might only see about 110-120 offensive plays (Wofford avg 67 offensive plays per game and JMU 63) with only about 25 of them passing. This game could be over in 2 1/2 hrs if its not on TV.

-2nd of all, JMU is loaded in the backfield. 3 very good tailbacks (Holloman, Yancey, Sullivan). We'll see who has the best backfield

-4th of all, JMU is loaded at receiver- goes 6 deep. JMU doesn't pass much, a lot, but when Landers does, he's very effective throwing the ball to JMU's receivers.

-5th, JMU has their best o-line since 04'. They are big (listed avg about 6'3 1/2", 304). We'll see who has the better o-line.

-6th, as far as the D-line, JMU has one of the top 2 front 4s in the CAA along with UR (Nova plays a 3-4 so a little harder to compare). Abdul-Wahid was 2nd team All CAA last season, and he is the 3rd or 4th best lineman on JMU's line this season. UD's coach called JMU DT the best DT in the league. Article from about 3 weeks ago:

"On the eve of his team's 41-7 loss at JMU this past Saturday, Delaware coach K.C. Keeler called Daniels "the best player in the league on defense." And Keeler had high praise for the entire unit.

"I think this is as good a defensive line as you'll see in the league," Keeler said."
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=32996&CHID=3

Again, we'll see who has the better D-line.

As far as your advantages assessment, you're way off.

-Wofford has a good backfield too, but its gotten less and less deep

-Andy Strickland and Fenn Allen are great, clutch recievers, Justice Joslin is very fast.

-Wofford's OL is the best it's EVER been, we average over 300 lbs for the first time in school history. If there is one thing Wofford has on offense it is an OL.

On defense we run a 50 defense which is basically a a 3-4 with a zone. We have a lot of talent on defense, but we are very young in the secondary (only 2 seniors in the 2 deep). Our DL is small but very talented, against Samford we were smaller by like half a foot but still stopped the run.

on special teams I really doubt we'll kick far on kickoffs we have bad enough kick off coverage as it is.

The 4-2-5 works pretty well but I think we'll try to take advantage of your young LBs, making them wonder who really has the ball.

Montana knew we what we were doing last year but they just didn't know where the ball was, that's the magic of our offense.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
The O-line of Wofford does not scare me so much as the scheme itself. Our D can go up against most lines and neutralize plays with speed and power. We'll give up some 10-yard runs, but we'll get in the backfield and make the option look silly at times as well, setting up for 2nd/3rd and long, and you'll be a lot less likely to go for it on 4th down.

Having said that, it's the going for it on 4th down that scares me the most. That's how Duke beat us. They had several 4-down conversions that day, but we had to respect a damn good WR there and it was game 1.

I think Wofford will start strong, but the JMU D will adapt better than you might expect. The 4-2-5 is not in its original design anymore due to the youth on the LB corps. One of our safeties is often now up near the line of scrimmage. You'll probably see this alternating throughout the day to give Wofford different looks.

On offense, I expect a few hard runs for 1-2 yards, but then watch out. Anyone of our backs, Landers, Yancey and Holloman, can break it open on a moment's notice.

It should be a great game and I am more worried about this game than Villanova or Montana. Cal Poly looks impressive as well. Safe travels to Harrisonburg. xpeacex Wish this were next week to get an over-capacity type crowd. You'll probably see 11-12K for a 15K stadium.

OldSouth
November 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM

JMU 42
Wofford 20

APP beat Wofford in the Air. I don't see those kind of numbers from JMU. JMU runs great and has an efficient passing game but not big passing. APP is much more balanced than in past years. I don't think APP and JMU offenses are the same.

Wofford 35 JMU 28