View Full Version : NCAA Playoffs: New Hampshire at Southern Illinois

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Should be a great game.

Skjellyfetti
November 23rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Southern Illinois is hosting, right?

Or is there an error in this bracket?
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/iaa-bracket.htm

blur2005
November 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Should be a great game.
It's actually UNH at SIU. NCAAsports.org says the stadium is McAndrew Stadium in Carbondale, IL.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
well fine wish they could get is straight, a mod can alternate the team names.

Cap'n Cat
November 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
well fine wish they could get is straight, a mod can alternate the team names.

LMFatAO!!!!!

They can also have nineteen usernames!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

R3TRO
November 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Haven't heard much about this Southern Illinois team... does someone care to fill me in please?

DOME
November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
They're the only FCS team to beat UNI this year...

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Haven't heard much about this Southern Illinois team... does someone care to fill me in please?

Heavily reliant on the run. Won their last game in OT vs. a 3-8 team

Cap'n Cat
November 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
They're the only FCS team to beat UNI this year...

Yeah, they're very good. UNI just a touch better v the rest of the conference.

Powerful all around.

Beat them. My heart cannot take ANOTHER SIU @ UNI cardiac classic!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

R3TRO
November 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM

Powerful all around.

You have your hands full with a solid Maine team that you shouldn't be looking past.

R3TRO
November 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM

Powerful all around.

You have your hands full with a solid Maine team that you shouldn't be looking past. xnonox

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM
go Maine and UNH lets eliminate the MVFC opening weekend.

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
I hope UNH wins. 2 seasons in a row ended within the unfriendly confines of the Dome would be a classic sequel. Much friendlier match-up sans-Santos. Go Panthers!

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM

They have a running back who left Villanova for reasons undisclosed...
See: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=5509660

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
They have a running back who left Villanova for reasons undisclosed...
See: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=5509660

I'm not sure what your link about rape at Villanova had to do with him, according to that article......(?)

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
whats their D like? and on O are they a run out the clock team?

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
3 freshman football players left that week.. they don't disclose names.. but richard white left that week

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Doesn't surprise me @ SIU. DUI's plagued their basketball team a couple of years ago.

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
And Carbondale eats baby seals.

R3TRO
November 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
I hope UNH wins. 2 seasons in a row ended within the unfriendly confines of the Dome would be a classic sequel. Much friendlier match-up sans-Santos. Go Panthers!

You'll be happy to know that Toman is just as much of a gamer. xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Doesn't surprise me @ SIU. DUI's plagued their basketball team a couple of years ago.
Stetson Hairston and Mike Dale

DOME
November 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
And Carbondale eats baby seals.

Yea they're wierd down there. A few years back the moved on a "Green Initiative" to decrease their impact and closed their coal-fired powerplant. Now they power the city with a kitten-fired powerplant. They go through roughly 8,000,000 5 week old kittens a week.

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Yea they're wierd down there. A few years back the moved on a "Green Initiative" to decrease their impact and closed their coal-fired powerplant. Now they power the city with a kitten-fired powerplant. They go through roughly 8,000,000 5 week old kittens a week.

And their cheerleaders fall off of pyramids on national televisionxlolx .

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
so that's the Saluki Way

URMite
November 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Southern Illinois is hosting, right?

Or is there an error in this bracket?
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/iaa-bracket.htm

Ok, so it wasn't just me...The ESPNU show made it look like SIU was at UNH, and Cal-Poly at WSU. But then again they also showed Maine at Northern Illinois xoopsx probably by typing in NIU and their system converted it to the wrong team. They did the same thing while reviewing the 2005 championship.

siuham
November 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM

She's a fun gal, really. Was the only cheerleader that liked to hang out with the band.

Anyway...

I do not like having New Hampshire in the first round at all.

The ISU game was bad this weekend. I was there. I have no idea what our offense was doing the whole game. Our defense, once again, won the game for us, as they have for three weeks in a row now.

ISU consistently drove the ball down past the 50, but couldn't get anything to show for it. SIU's defense stopped them three times on 4th downs, once on the goal line, once on the 30 or so, and once at the goal line in overtime. SIU missed two field goals, ISU missed one I believe. That's just coming from memory and I've driven 500 miles in three days so I'm a little hazy.

This may be wanted to be kept on the hush hush, but Warner (our #1 back, returner) was hurt on one of the first plays of the game. Came off the field limping, hard, and was pissed about it. He spent the next 10 minutes walking up and down the sidelines trying to get it better. He played the whole game though, so it may not be very serious. Regardless, don't kick to him. Ask UNI about kicking to Warner.

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM
You'll be happy to know that Toman is just as much of a gamer. xthumbsupx

woh woh woh woh. hes good but lets not even begin to compare him with rick.

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
She's a fun gal, really. Was the only cheerleader that liked to hang out with the band.

Anyway...

I do not like having New Hampshire in the first round at all.

The ISU game was bad this weekend. I was there. I have no idea what our offense was doing the whole game. Our defense, once again, won the game for us, as they have for three weeks in a row now.

ISU consistently drove the ball down past the 50, but couldn't get anything to show for it. SIU's defense stopped them three times on 4th downs, once on the goal line, once on the 30 or so, and once at the goal line in overtime. SIU missed two field goals, ISU missed one I believe. That's just coming from memory and I've driven 500 miles in three days so I'm a little hazy.

This may be wanted to be kept on the hush hush, but Warner (our #1 back, returner) was hurt on one of the first plays of the game. Came off the field limping, hard, and was pissed about it. He spent the next 10 minutes walking up and down the sidelines trying to get it better. He played the whole game though, so it may not be very serious. Regardless, don't kick to him. Ask UNI about kicking to Warner.

A. I was at that MVC Championship game. Thought it would be us in that game. Your mascot is ugly as sin, and that's the first time I saw him up close. Holy hell.

B. I would love to have another chance to kick to Warner. I think we would run you guys over if we have a rematch in the Dome. We have been playing lights out lately.

R3TRO
November 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM

I'm not saying he's on the same level.. only that he is as much of a gamer and puts his team in a winning situation when he has the ball (gamer).

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I'm not saying he's on the same level.. only that he is as much of a gamer and puts his team in a winning situation when he has the ball (gamer).

Hope he knows how to milk a clock a little better than Santos did.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
All 4 of the teams in question are good.

It doesn't matter if we overlook Maine. We don't play.

I don't want UNH. I'm tired of you guys and want a chance to prove ourselves against SIU. Plus it would guarantee a MVFC team in the semi's.

IF we win and UNH wins, I definitely look forward to seeing you guys in the north lot before the game again. :D

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I know what you were saying and it was the gamer comment that got me. rick is the king of all gamers.

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM

I have heard comments from a unh football player, who has defended against both (in practice), saying out of the game he is a better qb, speed, strength, smarts.

saying this, he doesnt have that santos magic

i am very excited to see how he devolopes , he did have 2 years to learn from ricky, and this year he has no weapons, mike boyle doesnt even compare to Ball, or even Lavan. Give him a good reciever, I think he will show us something.

noone will ever be rick

all im saying is i think in three years when talking about the next unh qb we will be saying, ya but hes no toman

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
noone will ever be rick

all im saying is i think in three years when talking about the next unh qb we will be saying, ya but hes no toman

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 10:29 PM

I don't want UNH. I'm tired of you guys and want a chance to prove ourselves against SIU. Plus it would guarantee a MVFC team in the semi's.

IF we win and UNH wins, I definitely look forward to seeing you guys in the north lot before the game again. :D

you are very cocky, maine is a good team.

and as I recall
NIU almost blew it last year, maybe because they were looking past UNH

or maybe they were just sick of playing us

stevdock
November 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
Good luck SIU. As a MVFC member, I know I for one will be cheering for you guys. Make us proud.

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Santos is obviously much better than Toman (for now at least), but I think this year's UNH team is much more well rounded and will be more dangerous in the playoffs

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Hope he knows how to milk a clock a little better than Santos did.

Is this a comment about last year?

Are you suggesting unh shouldnt have been hurrying when they are down with a min left?

If you are down, you take the points, you should not worry about the clock. you have to have some sort of confidence in your defense, ours just didnt come through. They are much better this year than in years past, they arent amazing, but they are better

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM
Santos is obviously much better than Toman (for now at least), but I think this year's UNH team is much more well rounded and will be more dangerous in the playoffs

yes, i am very excited. not only do we have a run game and a defense that can stop the run. we also have a defense who has been hot with creating turnovers. all new to unh.

the other thing is i feel no team has beaten us outright this year, stupid penalties gave the games away.

Villinova and W&M played well

but remember if it wasnt for a questionable unsportsmanlike, we would have beaten W&M.

and Villinova we had at least one touchdown called back for something stupid.

if unh plays clean smart football, i think they can make it pretty far.

rcny46
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
I have heard comments from a unh football player, who has defended against both (in practice), saying out of the game he is a better qb, speed, strength, smarts.

saying this, he doesnt have that santos magic

i am very excited to see how he devolopes , he did have 2 years to learn from ricky, and this year he has no weapons, mike boyle doesnt even compare to Ball, or even Lavan. Give him a good reciever, I think he will show us something.

noone will ever be rick

Funny how different people look at what various players bring to the table.I don't think Lavan can even begin to compare to Boyle,but that's just me.

rcny46
November 23rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
yes, i am very excited. not only do we have a run game and a defense that can stop the run. we also have a defense who has been hot with creating turnovers. all new to unh.

the other thing is i feel no team has beaten us outright this year, stupid penalties gave the games away.

Villinova and W&M played well

but remember if it wasnt for a questionable unsportsmanlike, we would have beaten W&M.

and Villinova we had at least one touchdown called back for something stupid.

if unh plays clean smart football, i think they can make it pretty far.

So do I;maybe as far as the 3rd round.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by PantherRob82

IF we win and UNH wins, I definitely look forward to seeing you guys in the north lot before the game again.

you are very cocky, maine is a good team.

and as I recall
NIU almost blew it last year, maybe because they were looking past UNH

or maybe they were just sick of playing us

WTF are you talking about? xconfusedx

I said all of the 4 teams were good. You are either a moron or cannot read.

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
It because you put it wrong. You meant
"It doesn't matter. If we overlook Maine, we don’t play."
The way it was said sounded like it doesn't matter if we overlook Maine.
In other words sounding like Maine was a gime but you meant the opposite. It was just your punctuation.

I think that what he thought you thought.

It confused me at first as well.

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
I think we are capable of beating anyone, including JMU and ASU, if we play our A game. Whether or not we can pull together 4 wins in a row is the bigger question. We've got a lot of potential, but also have shown some proclivity to make stupid mistakes.

Anyway, at the risk of looking ahead, I would absolutely love another shot at UNI. If we can beat them and get that monkey off our back, that would change us from just a playoff team to a legitimate championship contender. I can only imagine how pumped up the juniors and seniors would be for another shot at UNI.

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
*I think thats what he thought you thought.

see now you even got me messed up.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 11:28 PM
It because you put it wrong. You meant
"It doesn't matter. If we overlook Maine, we don’t play."
The way it was said sounded like it doesn't matter if we overlook Maine.
In other words sounding like Maine was a gime but you meant the opposite. It was just your punctuation.

I think that what he thought you thought.

It confused me at first as well.

The "we don't play" makes it pretty obvious though. His comment was also in response to fans on a message board, not our players.

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think we are capable of beating anyone, including JMU and ASU, if we play our A game. Whether or not we can pull together 4 wins in a row is the bigger question. We've got a lot of potential, but also have shown some proclivity to make stupid mistakes.

Anyway, at the risk of looking ahead, I would absolutely love another shot at UNI. If we can beat them and get that monkey off our back, that would change us from just a playoff team to a legitimate championship contender. I can only imagine how pumped up the juniors and seniors would be for another shot at UNI.

I can imagine it's the same way we feel about a shot at SIU. Our game with them this year was similar to the end of our playoff game with you last year. Only we had 5 turnovers at SIU which just killed us.

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 11:30 PM
WTF are you talking about? xconfusedx

I said all of the 4 teams were good. You are either a moron or cannot read.

sorry got you confused with a guy from another board openly looking past maine

the thing is, uni has looked past teams and it has come back to bite them, not so much last year... but almost :(

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
sorry got you confused with a guy from another board openly looking past maine

haha. Sorry. What board was it? Maybe it was me. ;)

nutterlyattled
November 23rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Funny how different people look at what various players bring to the table.I don't think Lavan can even begin to compare to Boyle,but that's just me.

i think each reciever matches well with their respective quarterback, i am probably just looking at how Santos made Lavan look much better, where toman spreads it out, and the run is much more prominant, we dont have to have a star reciever

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
It's actually UNH at SIU. NCAAsports.org says the stadium is McAndrew Stadium in Carbondale, IL.
Just come to Carbondale and follow the paws. They will lead you right to the stadium.
(There are white pawprints painted on the highway).

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
I am not sure about you guys but I played with all these guys and I can say Ricky and Dave were far better than Keith, Mike and RJ not that anyone is arguing that. RJ will certainly be good who knows how good. As for the other two, Mike has more utility wile Keith was a more strait ahead speed guy who could make some real good catches that mike couldn't because of his height. I think Keith is like 6' (nothing special) but Mike is only like 5'10". Keith was a better deep threat and a good screen guy as is mike. Both valuable players. I wouldn’t say one is better than the other.

R3TRO
November 24th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Will there be any UNH fans making the trip? I'm debating whether or not to hop a train out there.

UNHFan99
November 24th, 2008, 05:16 AM
we also have a defense who has been hot with creating turnovers. all new to unh.

In 2005 I think we led FCS.

skinny_uncle
November 24th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Kristi was cheering from the gurney on the way out the door. Even our cheerleaders are tough.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h13/skinny_uncle/KristiYamaoka.jpg

Kristi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki4Lw7Iy09c)

UNHFan
November 24th, 2008, 06:15 AM
UNH huge!! But wait!! UNH well make atleast 5 to 7 horrible mistakes!! UNH in a squeeker! 28-27 When you have a team going for3rd and 5 or more three times and you get a personal foul flag after stopping them all 3 times!! THATS A TURNOVER!!! as per the great Woody Hayes I QUOTE!!!

UNH PLEASE!!! Play smart!!

igo4uni
November 24th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Will there be any UNH fans making the trip? I'm debating whether or not to hop a train out there.

A train?? Better leave right now!! Man, that just seems like a long trip on a train.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM

My in-laws are from new England and they rode a train here that got layed-over in Chicago for 24 hours. They haven't taken the train since.

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
UNH huge!! But wait!! UNH well make atleast 5 to 7 horrible mistakes!! UNH in a squeeker! 28-27 When you have a team going for3rd and 5 or more three times and you get a personal foul flag after stopping them all 3 times!! THATS A TURNOVER!!! as per the great Woody Hayes I QUOTE!!!

UNH PLEASE!!! Play smart!!

Do not be discouraged if you're behind at the half. We always take the third quarter off so that the game will be interesting at the end. SIU is an adrenaline junkie's wet-dream.

DaveK
November 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Any chance of this game being televised?

WrenFGun
November 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
This is a good chance for UNH to back my comment up about how they can compare to the MVFC. It was, I believe, Hounddawg (a SIU fan I believe) that stated that SDSU would blow UNH out of the water. Well, we get a team that beat SDSU, so let's see what happens.

Of the possible options on being shipped out, this is the best one for UNH, IMO. That Dome gives me nightmares, and so does Montana. I don't have the seven hours it would take to watch a Poly/UNH game.

Go CATS!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Rob, I can guarantee there will be no Goose Island beer in my cooler this time around!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNH SUPERFAN
November 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Anyone have the long range weather outlook for Carbondale, IL?

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Anyone have the long range weather outlook for Carbondale, IL?

Officially it is for highs in the 40s, chance of rain.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Has the kickoff time been announced yet? What time was last year's first round game at SIU started? Need to know all my travel parameters -- last minute planning for Turkey weekend!!!!

Houndawg
November 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Has the kickoff time been announced yet? What time was last year's first round game at SIU started? Need to know all my travel parameters -- last minute planning for Turkey weekend!!!!

Saluki talk says 13:00 CST.

UNHWILDCATS05
November 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Booked flight to Nashville last night (three hour drive to Carbondale)...

GO CATS!!

ChickenMan
November 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM
UNH vs SIU stats

SIU ------ UNH

30.3 --- 40.0 - points for
20.6 --- 25.0 - points against
169 --- 173 - rush off
111 --- 132 - rush def
185 --- 242 - pass off
208 --- 227 - pass def
358 --- 415 - total off