PDA

View Full Version : Maine in????

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
Discuss please

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
I mentioned Maine yesterday when the discussion was all W&M, Liberty, W&M, Liberty, W&M, Liberty, and several people shot me down.

I was one of a few dozen JMU fans who made it to the Maine game. They had JMU tied 10-10 early in the 4th in a rain fest before JMU pulled away 24-10. Cosgrove does a great job there with limited talent and resources. Congrats to Maine. None of their kids have ever experienced the playoffs- they haven't been since what 01' or 02'?

JMad03
November 23rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Maine is a very good team. I was a bit surprised that they got in since there were so many other teams that could have been in that spot as well. Maine is going to be a very dangerous team.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Congrats Maine. Hopefully you guys make a trip to Durham in two weeks.

Edge316007
November 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
I mentioned Maine yesterday when the discussion was all W&M, Liberty, W&M, Liberty, W&M, Liberty, and several people shot me down.

Ditto that. Though, thinking about it I am somewhat surprised

Congrats to them anyway

LehighFan11
November 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Wow Maine?

DOME
November 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Congrats Maine. Hopefully you guys make a trip to Durham in two weeks.

You don't want to come back to Cedar Falls?
I had such a great time tailgating with UNH fans last year!

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM
I was one of those people who didn't give them a good chance of getting in, and I am still surprised.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Glad to see the Black Bears get in. Maine's an interesting team being from "way up north" that they fly under the radar. I think they can surprise UNI in the first round.

MaineFan
November 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
I am just happy the Bears got in. This is such a young team and they took a huge step foward this season. This will be a great experience for them going foward. The next 2-3 years should be special in Orono as this team is only going to get better and better.

on a more serious note I do feel the Bears were fortunate to get in. W & M certainlly does have a gripe.

ASU_MBA
November 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Haha liberty

Khan4Cats
November 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I think it was a matter of trading a seed for Villanova for getting a 4th at-large from the CAA. Not surprised UNI got the seed in the exchange, a little surprised we got the 3.

Maine, welcome back to the UNI-Dome. Looks like you get to start and end your season with losses in Iowa.

bainsey
November 23rd, 2008, 08:39 PM
This is a pleasant surprise for us in the northeast corner, especially after the hype of the UNH game, where allegedly the winner would go on, and it would be a slim chance for the loser. Slim sometimes happens.

What a turnaround, though! From 4-7 to 8-4. If someone told me in August that Maine were 8-4, I would have been thrilled. And now, you can add a tournament appearance to boot. xthumbsupx

OVC Fan
November 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I wanted JSU in, but I thought William & Mary was more of a threat than Maine. I realize Maine is good but they played Monmouth and Iona in the non-conference? Wow.

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I am just happy the Bears got in. This is such a young team and they took a huge step foward this season. This will be a great experience for them going foward. The next 2-3 years should be special in Orono as this team is only going to get better and better.

on a more serious note I do feel the Bears were fortunate to get in. W & M certainlly does have a gripe.

nope! W&M lost 2 of their last 3. same situation as UNH last year and UNH should have missed out to Nova even the players at UNH knew that. Maine earned it.

Mountain Panther
November 23rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
http://p10sfq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pJwAvFwl4uWN_FevzJ8jYKEqeZSd9LmOwvDFOJbRCLXcJ3eT Nq42c0cBgVA7MPwoRraDSoOLBBaE

BigApp
November 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
same situation as UNH last year ... Maine earned it.

Maine "earned" it the same way UNH "earned" it last year:

IONA

TCisMYhero
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
UNI gets last team in, I'm giddy.xcoffeex

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM
44-17.

art vandelay
November 24th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Maine "earned" it the same way UNH "earned" it last year:

IONA

no dont twist my words. im saying UNH didnt earn it for finishing the season 1-2. they got lucky. W&M was in the same situation and they didnt get lucky. Maine earned it by winning 6 of their last 7. not to mention UNH beat an FBS team and Deleware who was ranked at the time. i dont remember where. If W&M wanted in they had to beat one of those teams we all knew that ahead of time. and in the end of the day 8 wins trumps 7. nothing to argue about because it isnt changing.

BDKJMU
November 24th, 2008, 01:45 AM
nope! W&M lost 2 of their last 3. same situation as UNH last year and UNH should have missed out to Nova even the players at UNH knew that. Maine earned it.

W&M lost their last 2.

UNHFan99
November 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Maine is a very dangerous team now. I think they are gonna beat UNI.

santosballnewhampshire
November 24th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Maine is a very dangerous team now. I think they are gonna beat UNI.

I would agree that they have everything you need to knock off a team like UNI, except for a quarterback. Bruscko is awful.

OxSoxUNH05
November 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
UNI gets last team in, I'm giddy.xcoffeex

Giddy!? You got the last team in last year (UNH) and it went down to the wire. Don't overlook the black bears they are a good team.

Congrats to Maine, I think the tough game vs UNH got them in and I'm hoping to see them in Durham in the second round.

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I think what put Maine in over W&M was the whooping W&M took from JMU. Compare that to what has been described on here and in the scoreboard as being very close between JMU and Maine and I think that may have compelled Maine in over W&M.

The committee isn't dumb. They don't blindly look at Iona and equate it to playing a better DI team. They analyze the strength of schedule.

ToTheLeft
November 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
So, all this talk about LU being out based on the Presby loss, despite wins over Elon and 7-5 Chuck South... and William and Mary being out despite a win over playoff bound UNH team at UNH, because they got blown out by JMU and happened to play their two toughest games at the end of the season, leads me to believe...

"The FCS Selection Committee: We don't care who you beat, just show us who you lost to/almost beat/what conference you're from"

danefan
November 24th, 2008, 09:04 AM
So, all this talk about LU being out based on the Presby loss, despite wins over Elon and 7-5 Chuck South... and William and Mary being out despite a win over playoff bound UNH team at UNH, because they got blown out by JMU and happened to play their two toughest games at the end of the season, leads me to believe...

"The FCS Selection Committee: We don't care who you beat, just show us who you lost to/almost beat/what conference you're from"

If you are throwing out a win over Chuck South as validation for a playoff at-large, then you need to step back and realize why Liberty wasn't selected.

That's the problem playing in a weak conference.

Rob Iola
November 24th, 2008, 09:08 AM
So, all this talk about LU being out based on the Presby loss ...
Really, you can stop right there and enjoy Thankgiving with the family and fond memories of the Elon game...

MacThor
November 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Really, you can stop right there and enjoy Thankgiving with the family and fond memories of the Elon game...

Yeah, Liberty is better off than 15 teams in the playoff field.......they get to end their season with a quality win! :)

WildcatFan
November 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Congratulations to Maine - routed for you all year (well except one game). Good luck at UNI.

TCisMYhero
November 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ask UNH how friendly the Dome is.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 25th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Ask UNH how friendly the Dome is.

Actually they enjoyed playing in the Dome...Great crowd...great atmosphere.

Better then playing infront of 5k or 6k somewhere.

Big Al
November 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Actually they enjoyed playing in the Dome...Great crowd...great atmosphere.

Better then playing infront of 5k or 6k somewhere.

It was a lot of fun watching UNH last year -- Santos definitely lived up to the billing. If he'd had a big-play receiver to throw to, the end result might have been very different. As it was, he was able to dink & dunk all day against our secondary. Best FB game I ever saw in person.

Our pass coverage is much improved from last year, although I think it still needs improvement. Where I really like UNI's chances is our run D. Run defense is a real strength on this year's squad.