PDA

View Full Version : If there were no AQ's

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Who do you think would not make the playoffs this year...or are all AQ's deserving in your opinion.

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I suspect Colgate, EKU and Texas State would be out in the cold. Possibly SC State too.

ToTheLeft
November 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Well, Texas State would be out for sure, and the William and Mary v. Liberty debate would be over, as both would be in. The others would still be in the mix, maybe not with a great chance, but with a decent one.

UNHWildCats
I suspect Colgate, EKU and Texas State would be out in the cold. Possibly SC State too.
And the CAA may have 6 teams

AlphaSigMD
Exchange them for Elon, William and Mary, Maine for three of the teams.

OL FU
November 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM

I think SC State would be in. I realize that the MEAC is suspect, but they have no FCS losses. I can't imagine them not making it in . xnodx

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I was posting this question because one of my friends who is an alum of Texas was saying how he wished they had the same system as us and I tried to explain to him that in some aspects our playoff system isn't completely different than the BCS Bowls. Some teams get in BCS bowl games just because they win their conference even though there might be 20 better teams out there. I'm an ACC guy (NC State Grad Student Alum-GO PACK), but we are so down this year but get an auto in.

Sometimes I wish in our system there were no AQ's, just the best 16 teams

oh and for Teams who don't get in...I hold 3 degrees...my undergrad I went to App, but also went to NC State and UNCW for the other 2....that latter hath no Football team at all.... Being a student without a football team was hell.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm an ACC guy (NC State Grad Student Alum-GO PACK), but we are so down this year but get an auto in.

Isn't that grounds for getting shot in Boone?xeekx

OL FU
November 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
I was posting this question because one of my friends who is an alum of Texas was saying how he wished they had the same system as us and I tried to explain to him that in some aspects our playoff system isn't completely different than the BCS Bowls. Some teams get in BCS bowl games just because they win their conference even though there might be 20 better teams out there. I'm an ACC guy (NC State Grad Student Alum-GO PACK), but we are so down this year but get an auto in.

Sometimes I wish in our system there were no AQ's, just the best 16 teams

I can understand the sentiment but I don't agree. The politicking would be even worse than it might be now. winning a conference should get a reward just like basketball.

19Duke97
November 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Nice thing about the AQ is it allows the little guys to get some notice. The PL, MEAC, OVC, and SLC would probably see limited action in the playoffs otherwise, and the big conferences wold own it.

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Isn't that grounds for getting shot in Boone?xeekx

You have no idea....when App played NCSU to open in Raleigh a few years back....wow...I had my App Hat on and NC State shirt on and I was in the NC State section, tailgated with all my App friends...it was weird and confusing all in the same

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Nice thing about the AQ is it allows the little guys to get some notice. The PL, MEAC, OVC, and SLC would probably see limited action in the playoffs otherwise, and the big conferences wold own it.

good point

appfan2008
November 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I like the AQ even if some teams that get in may not be the best 16... if it was up to me i would have every conference in fcs get a AQ and keep it at 16 teams... winning your conference is and should be important... of course that would only leave about 4 at large but as i said importance should be placed on winnning your conference...

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
It'd only bother me a lot if it kept someone with a legit shot at the championship out of the playoffs. Limiting it to 8 AQ's now and 10 in 2010 works pretty well.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
EKU would be in with only 1 FCS loss.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
i like the AQ system. One of these teams might turn out to be better than we have realized. If you play in a weak conference, you still have a shot at making the playoffs and measuring yourself against teams from other parts of the country that you don't normally play.