PDA

View Full Version : Who Should be the Last Team In?

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
Since it seems pretty certain who the first 7 at-large picks will be (no particular order - Montana, Villanova, UNH, Wofford, Richmond, UNI, Cal Poly), so who do you think should get the 8th. & final spot?

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
no Dayton option?

KAUMASS
November 23rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
William & Mary, Maine, Elon-

I had to go with W&M. They have a win over New Hampshire and just took Richmond to OT.

I have Maine a close second.

This is based upon GPI. Le'ts see how close this year's commitee follows it. Historically they follow it pretty closely.

knucklehead
November 23rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
xthumbsupx Liberty!

Jerbearasu
November 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
no Dayton option?

or Albany?!?!?!

Eaglegus2
November 23rd, 2008, 09:10 AM
I really believe that Liberty has made a case for inclusion into the playoffs.

Liberty for the last playoff slot. :)

R.A.
November 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
FAMU looked great yesterday...

JaxSinfonian
November 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Voted with my heart. My head says the committee will see it differently.

Panther88
November 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
or Albany?!?!?!

or Prairie View? xconfusedx

There needs to be a feel-good story to heighten the FCS interest. :D

PurpleandGold
November 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
There was a healthy gap between WM and Liberty in the last GPI. I suppose the question is can Liberty close that gap with their win yesterday. It was certainly impressive. Between the two, both only have one impressive win with WM's being a bit more impressive since UNH is heading to the playoffs while Elon is not. WM doesn't have a bad loss, while LU has two, Presby and Lafayette. Objectively, I gotta go with WM, but LU is the feel-good team of the year, so they probably make it, which I don't mind so much as long as they go to Harrisonburg next week.

Cocky
November 23rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
I just don't think Liberty will get in their schedule is just too weak. Any of the others will be choosen before Liberty but I've been wrong before.

Kid Dakota
November 23rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
south dakota state

you ask my opinion

TheValleyRaider
November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
I think it'll be Liberty

I realize the schedule's weak, but they won their conference (JSU finished 3rd in an otherwise 1-bid league), and I don't see a 5th CAA this year (tough luck Maine, W&M)

I will say though, had Lafayette won, they should have warrented conversation seeing as how they beat Liberty. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I guess xtwocentsx xpeacex

bullseye44
November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
As of now, 31 votes go CAA, 30 votes go Liberty...

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Last year when the expanding the playoffs came out I was against it. And I still am. Last season there was only 7 deserving At large teams (and heck, there wasn't even 8 deserving AQs). And this season the same thing, only 7 deserving At large. And imagine if the field was expanded to 20 this season- you's have an additional 2 AQ- 8-3 NEC winner Albany who was 1-3 OOC to 4 CAA teams, with an OT win over Hofstra and a lost to UD b 31 xeekx and Big South winner Liberty.
Then you'd have to come up with 2 more At large between W&M, Maine, Elon, JSU, and maybe Tenn Martin. What a joke. About the only good thing is there would be 12 legit teams getting a bye.

Maybe for the last spot they should just put Liberty, W&M, Maine and JSU in a hat and have a random drawing.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 10:46 AM
Last year when the expanding the playoffs came out I was against it. And I still am. Last season there was only 7 deserving At large teams (and heck, there wasn't even 8 deserving AQs). And this season the same thing, only 7 deserving At large. And imagine if the field was expanded to 20 this season- you's have an additional 2 AQ- 8-3 NEC winner Albany who was 1-3 OOC to 4 CAA teams, with an OT win over Hofstra and a lost to UD b 31 xeekx and Big South winner Liberty.
Then you'd have to come up with 2 more At large between W&M, Maine, Elon, JSU, and maybe Tenn Martin. What a joke. About the only good thing is there would be 12 legit teams getting a bye.

Maybe for the last spot they should just put Liberty, W&M, Maine and JSU in a hat and have a random drawing.

Heck, we had a 19-team playoff this year. 13 AQ's and at-larges, and 3 play-in games. UR-W&M, Maine-UNH, and Elon-Liberty. :)

ToTheLeft
As of now, 31 votes go CAA, 30 votes go Liberty...

Which proves CAA homerism rather than objective thought. Just like any poll asking who should win "SuchandSuch" Award, if there is an App State player, they will win the poll.

BDKJMU
I think it will be Liberty, and I think that's a joke. They played a VERY weak schedule, the weakest of anybody with an AQ or being being considered for one. One quality win against Elon at home. Beat 3-9 Western Carolina by 3 who compiled a total of 72 yards against no Armanti App Stat last night. They play a competitive game with 4-7 VMI, one of the worst 4 win teams in the country and win by 12. A loss against Presbyterian who finished 4-7 as a transitional school from D II who lost their last game at VMI by 22. Two wins against D II schools.

EKU Pride
November 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Voted Jax State because they are the better team of the five listed!

jcmanson
November 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Just wondering what Armanti has to do with WCU only getting 72 yards of offense.xconfusedx

ATrain
November 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
8-2 Liberty v. 7-3 W&M.
Liberty won their conference, W&M finished 5th
Liberty beat Elon when it mattered, W&M didn't beat Richmond
My vote goes to Liberty

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Schedules should come into consideration.........I mean they should and if that means a 5th CAA team then fine because you cannot tell me Liberty is better than Maine, William and Mary. Liberty beat Elon, yes and beat them handily, Elon choked once again, but other than that win........Liberty does not have anything else impressive period.

ATrain
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
To be fair, Youngstown St. WAS ranked when we played them and had just beaten NDSU...not really our fault they ended up being sucky.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
To be fair, Youngstown St. WAS ranked when we played them and had just beaten NDSU...not really our fault they ended up being sucky.

Well if you put that into consideration

Elon beat Furman, Georgia Southern, Citadel while they were all ranked.....
Losses to @ Liberty, @ App St, Richmond, and Wofford

Maine has no top 25 wins and losses to @Richmond, JMU, New Hampshire, @Iowa

William and Mary has a huge win @ New Hampshire (still currently ranked)
and losses to @NC State, Villanova, @JMU, and Richmond

Based on schedules and everything included these three teams should all be in the playoffs before Liberty. Liberty's big win was Elon at home. I think William and Mary should get the last spot based on everything

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 04:26 PM
or Prairie View? xconfusedx

There needs to be a feel-good story to heighten the FCS interest. :D

Prairie View is ineligible since they still could win the SWAC West (they won't know that until this coming week).

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
I voted for Jacksonville State, but I think Liberty will be the committee's choice. Then again, the committee did have an OVC team—Eastern Illinois—as the final team in last year.

I didn't put Elon on the list because they have lost three of four—two of those being lopsided losses—and they got stomped by Liberty, another contender for the final spot.

South Dakota State is 7-5, so they don't have a real shot either.

Go...gate
November 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
no Dayton option?

If they had only gone undefeated, this might have been a hell of a question.

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
Just wondering what Armanti has to do with WCU only getting 72 yards of offense.xconfusedx

my only guess is that AE scores so fast the opponents offense gets on the field more often???

EKUSteve
November 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
If they had only gone undefeated, this might have been a hell of a question.

I think the loss to Morehead ended that chance.

ToTheLeft
November 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Oh, and using the screwed up logic of one Bill and Mary fan...

It's LU 56, CAA 49.

ViennaSpider
November 23rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
At the risk of being called a CAA homer (which I probably am), I'd give the nod to W&M over Liberty based on the Tribe's strength of schedule and their quality win over New Hampshire. Liberty's loss to Presbyterian is a real eyesore.

JALMOND
November 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
The committee is supposed to look at how you ended the season, W&M ended the year with two losses, including the last one at home. Both Jacksonville State and Liberty ended winning their last three.

Last in:

Liberty

First out:
Jacksonville State
William & Mary
Maine

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
I think the loss to Morehead ended that chance.

…and the loss to Jacksonville, and the loss to Duquesne.

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
The committee is supposed to look at how you ended the season, W&M ended the year with two losses, including the last one at home. Both Jacksonville State and Liberty ended winning their last three.

Last in:

Liberty

First out:
Jacksonville State
William & Mary
Maine

After using that standard (which I would largely agree with), though, shouldn't you ultimately put JSU ahead of Liberty since they played an all-DI schedule & Liberty did not (JSU played an FBS, Liberty played two sub-DIs)?

JALMOND
November 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
After using that standard (which I would largely agree with), though, shouldn't you ultimately put JSU ahead of Liberty since they played an all-DI schedule & Liberty did not (JSU played an FBS, Liberty played two sub-DIs)?

Liberty beat Elon, a team that was (maybe still is) a top 3-4 SoCon team, and beat them the last game of the season. Jacksonville State did beat a SoCon, Chattanooga, but I think Elon is a much better team than Chattanooga, and Liberty just beat them. Liberty looked like they wanted it more to me anyway. With Cal Poly being the third "Big Sky" team in, take Liberty as the third "SoCon" team.

Big Dawg
November 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM

Also that would leave FAMU in it as well...a 9-3 record with our largest loss being 7 points and finishing the season with 3 blowout victories, 1 of which was on natinal television(I heard that can be used as an advantage). The only thing that might keep FAMU out is the heartbreakers against DSU and MSU.

If we would've beaten Morgan State, there would be no doubt in my mind that we would be in the playoffs.

walliver
November 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
I suspect Liberty is the weakest team of the bunch, but also believe they will get the bid. It is hard to give an OVC team an at-large bid because of the league's horrible post-season record the past few years. The CAA has enough teams in the tourney. The political forces (or threats of lawsuits) that drove the NCAA to expand the field will also work to get Liberty in the play-offs.

JALMOND
November 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Also that would leave FAMU in it as well...a 9-3 record with our largest loss being 7 points and finishing the season with 3 blowout victories, 1 of which was on natinal television(I heard that can be used as an advantage). The only thing that might keep FAMU out is the heartbreakers against DSU and MSU.

If we would've beaten Morgan State, there would be no doubt in my mind that we would be in the playoffs.

FAMU three FCS losses, one not so bad (SC State), one sort of bad (Delaware State), and one very bad (Morgan State at home). You win that game with Morgan State and I'd put you in. As it is, I can't find any room for you.

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I suspect Liberty is the weakest team of the bunch, but also believe they will get the bid. It is hard to give an OVC team an at-large bid because of the league's horrible post-season record the past few years. The CAA has enough teams in the tourney. The political forces (or threats of lawsuits) that drove the NCAA to expand the field will also work to get Liberty in the play-offs.

They gave an OVC team an at-large each of the last 2 years.