PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Woofed?

AlphaSigMD
November 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Is this the first year when there really isn't a team that has a reasonable argument about being left out of the playoffs.

There are 15 solid picks and few others with serious credentials.

Maybe Liberty has the best chance of being woofed, because they may have the best argument at 10-2, especially if a 5th CAA team is taken.

I think that we can all agree that regardless, Central Arkansas is the best pseudo-woof because they would obviously be in the field and they also missed out on the much-deserved conference championship.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
you can't really be woofed if you know going into your season that you are not eligible for the playoffs.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 11:13 PM
Last year no one got really woofed did they?

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
coastal carolina did at 5-6

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
Last year no one got really woofed did they?

There was no one to be woofed last year. UNH was pretty much the only team left worthy of even being mentioned in the same sentence as the playoffs.

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
There was no one to be woofed last year. UNH was pretty much the only team left worthy of even being mentioned in the same sentence as the playoffs.

Villanova? Identical record and a better in conference record.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
Who have been the past Woofed Award winners? I know '02 is was Wofford and '03 it was Lehigh but not sure after that.

I do agree in that there won't be a true Woofed Winner this year.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM
7-4 GSU team with the Walter Payton winner got overlooked for a 5th CAA team?

T-Dog
November 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM

Only 6 D-I wins. Need 7 to make the playoffs.

UMass922
November 22nd, 2008, 11:37 PM

Not that this wasn't already beaten to death last year, but:

They didn't have seven D-I wins. (And yes, we all know it's technically "just a guideline," but obviously it's a very strict one that would require an exceptional case not to be enforced.)

fencer24
November 22nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Who have been the past Woofed Award winners? I know '02 is was Wofford and '03 it was Lehigh but not sure after that.

Didn't Cal Poly get shortchanged a few years back?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM

Cal Poly was '04 when some thought Lehigh should have been left out in their favor. Although i don't think Lehigh was their enemy, they were 9-2 and lost to National champ JMU 14-13 in the playoffs.

'02 Wofford
'03 Lehigh
'04 Cal Poly

malibudude
November 22nd, 2008, 11:54 PM

Poly 04' they were 9-2. Lehigh I think got in as the second Patriot league team. ESPN the Ocho made a big deal about it.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
Poly 04' they were 9-2. Lehigh I think got in as the second Patriot league team. ESPN the Ocho made a big deal about it.

Some felt that Lehigh got in in '04 as a makeup for being snubbed the year before. I don't think that was the case. Lehigh was 9-1 ranked #7 and was possibly inline for a seed until they lost to Lafayette in the last game of the regular season (other loss to Villanova). With the win Lafayette got the auto-bid. The loss didn't send them from legit seed hope to the bubble, they still got a home playoff game in fact. Their computer numbers, sos were all very strong.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
'02 Wofford
'03 Lehigh
'04 Cal Poly
'05 was Youngstown State

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
Some felt that Lehigh got in in '04 as a makeup for being snubbed the year before.Every woofed team gets in the next year

T-Dog
November 23rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
I forgot who it was in 2006, but in 2007 if anyone it had to be Villanova

smcwildcat
November 23rd, 2008, 02:16 AM

better wins... stop talking about last year ur in now

mvemjsunpx
November 23rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
I forgot who it was in 2006, but in 2007 if anyone it had to be Villanova

Portland State. 7-4 with three I-A/FBS games & they didn't get in.

As for this year, it doesn't look like there will be a real "woofed" candidate unless one of the seemingly obvious 7 at-larges are left out (Montana, UNH, Nova, Richmond, Wofford, UNI, Cal Poly). You could argue the final spot between Liberty, Jacksonville St., FAMU, W&M, & Maine, but those 5 are all borderline so they can't really cry foul if they're left out.

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
'Nova got woofed last year, probably. I think they were probably a better bet, but it worked out.

It's the same Georgia Southern thing, over and over. Don't even bother responding.

Stang Fever
November 23rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thats funny I was thinking the same thing... I dont think anyone this year can say they were woofed

Skjellyfetti
November 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
The brackets haven't been released yet. I think it's entirely possible they could do something screwy.

AlphaSigMD
November 23rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
you can't really be woofed if you know going into your season that you are not eligible for the playoffs.

Thats why its a pseudo-woof for the conference championship. They knew they wouldn't get to the playoffs, but I'm certain that they didn't know that they could not win the conference championship. That was a big surprise a few weeks ago.

I'm certain they figured that it would be a situation where they could still win the conference championship, just not be eligible for the playoffs, thus sending the 2nd place team to the playoffs....similar to the SWAC, just without a SWAC Championship game.

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
DUDE Get 7 DIv I Wins next time xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

OL FU
November 23rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Furman got woofed yesterdayxmadx

jlcharles
November 23rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
better wins... stop talking about last year ur in now

Apparently you missed the point of this thread. I quoted a post that said UNH was the only team that could lay claim to the last spot last year. Losses to three common opponents, JMU, Richmond, UMass. UNH lost to Northeastern and VU lost to Maryland. Identical 7-4 records, with VU having a 5-3 conference record and UNH going 4-4. The victory over Marshall put you in even after losing 2 of the last 3 games.

charliej
November 23rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't say we got woofed,but Nova deserved a seed.xnodx

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah, and UNH had the win over a I-A for 2 quality wins (other being UD). Nova had only one quality win- UD.

BDKJMU
November 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM

Only 6 Div I wins= Not eligible.

jlcharles
November 23rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, and UNH had the win over a I-A for 2 quality wins (other being UD). Nova had only one quality win- UD.

That's like saying Army is a quality win. Army stinks and so does Marshall. Both would be mid to low tier CAA teams and you know it.