PDA

View Full Version : THE SOCON - THE BIG THREE

gofurman
November 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
A while back someone asked if the big three in Socon was no longer App, Furman, and GSU and was now App, Elon, and Woff. Today just holds what I said earlier - despite a great year Elon will probably still NOT YET have a playoff game to date.

If you haven't EVER made the playoffs you are NOT big three.

Again, kudos to Elon on a great year but one or two good years and never a playoff game does not a big three make.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
I started that thread but I never said what teams were in the "new Big 3' I was asking the members on this board.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
I didn't realize Elon had never made the playoffs.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think it's really down to a big one, actually.

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
app, wofford, furman

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Furman has been down the last couple of years.
Wofford is better than they played on Halloween.

Right now it's 1.App 2. Wofford 3. everyone else 9. Chattanooga

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Furman has been down the last couple of years.
Wofford is better than they played on Halloween.

Right now it's 1.App 2. Wofford 3. everyone else 9. Chattanooga
I'll cut you some slack because you're young, which lends itself to a shorter perspective.xsmiley_wix Having said that, Furman has to have a lot more than two bad years to fall out of the big three. We've been there pretty much since the SOCON went IAA. And Wofford has to hang out at the top for a few more seasons before they can claim an entrenchment there. xrulesx xpeacex

I will, however, place us on short-term probation, because I have a feeling that we won't be heading anywhere promising with BL at the helm. xsmhx

catamount man
November 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'll cut you some slack because you're young, which lends itself to a shorter perspective.xsmiley_wix Having said that, Furman has to have a lot more than two bad years to fall out of the big three. We've been there pretty much since the SOCON went IAA. And Wofford has to hang out at the top for a few more seasons before they can claim an entrenchment there. xrulesx xpeacex

I will, however, place us on short-term probation, because I have a feeling that we won't be heading anywhere promising with BL at the helm. xsmhx

The UFFP board is livid. You read some of those comments today? WOW! xeekx

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

Well since '02 we've been in the top 3 in all but one year, if that ain't conssistant (6 of 7 years) what is? I know Furman has a rich past but FOR NOW they are not quite at their "Big three" level. Georgia Southern is the same way except they've shown signs of improvement while Furman seems to be slipping.

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM

BL has to go, but I'm afraid we'll pull a Clemson, and let him hang around for a few more miserable seasons. But, you know, he's never had a losing season.xrotatehx xrolleyesx xnonono2x xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM

Give me a link and I'll pop some popcorn!!!

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well since '02 we've been in the top 3 in all but one year, if that ain't conssistant (6 of 7 years) what is? I know Furman has a rich past but FOR NOW they are not quite at their "Big three" level. Georgia Southern is the same way except they've shown signs of improvement while Furman seems to be slipping.

Don't you have homework to do? How about chores? Don't Methodists believe in chores?!?!?!?!;)

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Well since '02 we've been in the top 3 in all but one year, if that ain't conssistant (6 of 7 years) what is? I know Furman has a rich past but FOR NOW they are not quite at their "Big three" level. Georgia Southern is the same way except they've shown signs of improvement while Furman seems to be slipping.Don't get too cozy with that notion.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Don't you have homework to do? How about chores? Don't Methodists believe in chores?!?!?!?!;)

We get Baptists do them for us!:D

MountaineerGuy
November 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

I'll cut you some slack because apparently you're old, which lends itself to occassionally misreading...xsmiley_wix

...but he said right now. Right now, I think that explanation is dead on. If you're talking about SoCon lore, of course you can't dismiss the traditional players for a couple of rough years...but to be honest...what's the point of having a great history if you're not putting up the W's now?

When you're going down the schedule looking for big dates, you don't circle one and say "I know they haven't finished in the top 3 for 2 years, but man! they were beastly in 1988, that's gonna be a great game."

That being said, I never think of Furman as anything close to "a week off." I honestly believe in the SoCon anybody can be a first quarter on their heels away from dropping a spot or two in the standings*

*does not apply when playing Chattanooga or, apparent from today's antics, Western Carolina.

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I'll cut you some slack because apparently you're old, which lends itself to occassionally misreading...xsmiley_wix

...but he said right now. Right now, I think that explanation is dead on. If you're talking about SoCon lore, of course you can't dismiss the traditional players for a couple of rough years...but to be honest...what's the point of having a great history if you're not putting up the W's now?

When you're going down the schedule looking for big dates, you don't circle one and say "I know they haven't finished in the top 3 for 2 years, but man! they were beastly in 1988, that's gonna be a great game."

That being said, I never think of Furman as anything close to "a week off." I honestly believe in the SoCon anybody can be a first quarter on their heels away from dropping a spot or two in the standings*

*does not apply when playing Chattanooga or, apparent from today's antics, Western Carolina.
I knew what he meant, I was busting his chops because that's all I can do until next year. If you knew YT, you'd know that he can take it, and give it back equally well. xnodx That little ankle-biter!!xmadx :D

So STFU. :D xsmiley_wix

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Being in "the big 3" means having a long history of success, and not just 3 or 4 playoff seasons. The Big 3 have 10 national championships together, and if you don't count Marshall that is as many or more than any 5 teams combined. None of the other SoCon teams even have close to the history that the Big 3 teams do.

GSU fans and Furman fans need to suck it up and realize that our (as in GSU's and Furman's) mediocre teams are going to have a hard time getting into the playoffs from here on out. We will both still continue producing teams that can go deep in the playoffs (and probably more frequently than most outside of the big 3), but getting into the playoffs is going to become harder. And ASU fans had better pay attention, because when Armanti Edwards is gone you guys are probably going to find yourselves in the fray with the rest of the SoCon. What? You think you are going to have a QB on the caliber of Richie Williams and Armanti Edwards every time? Sorry, but I doubt it.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Being in "the big 3" means having a long history of success, and not just 3 or 4 playoff seasons. The Big 3 have 10 national championships together, and if you don't count Marshall that is as many or more than any 5 teams combined. None of the other SoCon teams even have close to the history that the Big 3 teams do.

GSU fans and Furman fans need to suck it up and realize that our (as in GSU's and Furman's) mediocre teams are going to have a hard time getting into the playoffs from here on out. We will both still continue producing teams that can go deep in the playoffs (and probably more frequently than most outside of the big 3), but getting into the playoffs is going to become harder. And ASU fans had better pay attention, because when Armanti Edwards is gone you guys are probably going to find yourselves in the fray with the rest of the SoCon. What? You think you are going to have a QB on the caliber of Richie Williams and Armanti Edwards every time? Sorry, but I doubt it.

Even with Ritchie they were shaky at times.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM

Wow, dude that is profound. You're like the 1,000,000th person to say that, congrats. No, I don't think anyone thinks you can replace AE, but Presley didn't look too bad today. The idea is to reload and build around what you have, not to continue trying to recruit players to be just like the previous. ASU won't win forever, I doubt any of us think they will.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Even with Ritchie they were shaky at times.

Yup, we didn't make the playoffs in 2004 with Richie and won it all in 2005. Shaky.

Reign of Terrier
November 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Wow, dude that is profound. You're like the 1,000,000th person to say that, congrats. No, I don't think anyone thinks you can replace AE, but Presley didn't look too bad today. The idea is to reload and build around what you have, not to continue trying to recruit players to be just like the previous. ASU won't win forever, I doubt any of us think they will.

well they were playing Western...

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
well they were playing Western...

Whatever you have to tell yourself...

True, but it was his first game in college. Not bad for an 18 year old with his starting running back being the 5th string one (actually listed as WR). It's ok though, I know it pains the rest of the SoCon. I'm not a bandwagon fan, and am usually cordial with other fans, but this whole "wait til Armanti's gone" crap is getting old--and ridiculous. I never once said to a GSU fan, "just wait until Foster's gone." Thank God he is, but it's just childish to act like that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM

Pressley seems to be good, but he doesn't seem to have what AE does in terms of knowing when and where to throw it and when and where to scramble. And you can say he is just a freshman but remember Edwards took ASU to a national championship as a freshman. I really don't think Presley could do that. No one said ASU is going to suck when AE leaves, just that you are probably going to have a harder time running the table.

Take it from a team that has been through a couple of dynasties - after Tracy Ham left we waited three more years for another NC. And we haven't won one since Adrian Peterson left GSU.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Pressley seems to be good, but he doesn't seem to have what AE does in terms of knowing when and where to throw it and when and where to scramble. And you can say he is just a freshman but remember Edwards took ASU to a national championship as a freshman. I really don't think Presley could do that. No one said ASU is going to suck when AE leaves, just that you are probably going to have a harder time running the table.

Well, we've seen Presley play one game, without all the starters on offense, at the end of the season. I wouldn't necessarily use that as a high water measuring stick. With that said (I've said already), he's not AE and you can't expect to replace an AE, but he shows some promise and with him not taking the reigns until he's a Junior, I am ok with App's QB future.

MarchingMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Yup, we didn't make the playoffs in 2004 with Richie and won it all in 2005. Shaky.

Yeah... he certainly caused some sleepless nights. I was there in 2005 when he limped out onto the field for the last play before halftime. But -even half-broken - he won the championship (all by himself!). Could NEVER replace a QB like that.

Well... except for we got AE, who wins EVERY time he plays in the Championship... and against Michigan, too. The odds-on favorite for the Payton this year. No way we'll EVER replace him.

... unless Presley gets a few more snaps like today in the year he has left to get ready to take the reins, but then we'll NEVER be able to replace him.

Good thing our seniors have an extra season's worth of games against all those good teams (12-0 so far against the very best of the subdivision) but we'll never be able to replace them. Corey left after helping AE beat UM last year, and all Jerry Moore could find to replace him is the interception leader. But we'll NEVER be able to replace him....

xcoffeex

MountaineerGuy
November 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think people are seriously underestimating the difference between a QUARTERBACK, not a running back, not a wide receiver, not a db, but a quarterback that has a 2-3 starts under his belt and one that doesn't. Jerry Moore said today "We're very proud of [Presley]. He's got some things to work on, but he's young. It's like people forget what Armanti was like when he had 0 starts under his belt."

I think he's got all the ability he needs to replace AE. To be honest, I think once he gets a better feel for the college game, he's going to be even more dangerous...he's going to be a little bigger, and he's a lot more fearless than AE is. I guess that could work against us if he's stubborn to the point that he gets injured, but I think overall he's the way of the future, hands down.

MountaineerGuy
November 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM
and for the record, I meant no disrespect, DD. Just putting my two cents in with what was meant to be a good-fun jab.

Jerbearasu
November 22nd, 2008, 10:19 PM

App was considered part of the Big 3 before 2005 when they hadn't won anything. They had been to the semi's twice (once in the 80s and once in 00) but Wofford has been to the semi's too... IMHO; the Big 3 is over. The SoCon is too balanced at this point to consider it 3 teams and the rest of the conference. Not it is more like the rest of the conference and Chatty.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 22nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
The SoCon has its traditional "big three", but things aren't what they used to be. Now its more like "the bottom 3" App stands out as the recent top team with its 3 in a row, after that it's pretty clear cut until you get to UTC and WCU.

Death Dealer
November 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
and for the record, I meant no disrespect, DD. Just putting my two cents in with what was meant to be a good-fun jab.

No sweat. I didn't take it that way at all. Welcome aboard.xpeacex

ASU
November 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM

ASU DOES have another QB besides Armanti Edwards....DeAndre Presley started and won the game today.....if you didn't notice another number on the jersey.....you would have thought it was AE.......ha, ha, ha....Just a True Freshman....and the beat goes on......and the beat goes on........

BearGibson
November 23rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
True story.

You can't honestly look at App and say that they don't have depth at every position, with possibly the exception of punter. App's 2nd string could compete for the Socon title this year.

Truth be told, I have not seen a program over the past five years that consistently has as much depth and talent as the Mountaineers...

BigApp
November 23rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Southern Conference championships (including co-championships) since 1980:

Furman = 10
Appalachian = 9
Georgia Southern = 8
Everyone Else (including Marshall) =7

until someone breaks away from the "Everyone Else" pack and exceeds 8 championships, the Big Three will remain the same.

furman94
November 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Ditto

AppMan
November 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think it's really down to a big one, actually.

A REALLY BIG one.

AppMan
November 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
And ASU fans had better pay attention, because when Armanti Edwards is gone you guys are probably going to find yourselves in the fray with the rest of the SoCon. What? You think you are going to have a QB on the caliber of Richie Williams and Armanti Edwards every time? Sorry, but I doubt it.

I'm guessing you didn't see yesterday's game.

AppMan
November 23rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Pressley seems to be good, but he doesn't seem to have what AE does in terms of knowing when and where to throw it and when and where to scramble. And you can say he is just a freshman but remember Edwards took ASU to a national championship as a freshman. I really don't think Presley could do that.

As a freshman Armanti had the huge advantage of playing behind a talanted and experienced O-Line, big time WR's with ton's of experience, and along side a RB who was on his way to becoming ASU's all time leading rusher. Yesterday Pressley was playing behind a O-line lacking 3 All Americans from a year ago, basically an all new WR corps, freshman TE, the 4th team RB as a starter and another who had not carried the ball in two years. I'd say the young man did a pretty fair job under very difficult conditions. For all the advantages Armanti has over Pressley, DeAndre has faster straight line speed and a stronger arm. Everyone said there would never be another Ritchie and in many ways there will never be. Armanti shows up on our doorstep and things just got better. It is unrealistic to have the same type of expectations out of Pressley, but I have a feeling we may be in for another surprise.

CharlestonAppFan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
As a freshman Armanti had the huge advantage of playing behind a talanted and experienced O-Line, big time WR's with ton's of experience, and along side a RB who was on his way to becoming ASU's all time leading rusher. Yesterday Pressley was playing behind a O-line lacking 3 All Americans from a year ago, basically an all new WR corps, freshman TE, the 4th team RB as a starter and another who had not carried the ball in two years. I'd say the young man did a pretty fair job under very difficult conditions. For all the advantages Armanti has over Pressley, DeAndre has faster straight line speed and a stronger arm. Everyone said there would never be another Ritchie and in many ways there will never be. Armanti shows up on our doorstep and things just got better. It is unrealistic to have the same type of expectations out of Pressley, but I have a feeling we may be in for another surprise.

Of course it's West Carolina xsmiley_wix but DP had 4 total TD's and 314 total yards of offense with the line up you just provided above....in his 1st start ever in college I might add. I think that's a good surprise in and of itself xnodx