PDA

View Full Version : FINAL PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS

Pages : [1] 2

89Hen
November 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM
OK, post em here including seeds, hosts and pairings. Remember, conference mates cannot meet in the first round. The 1 and 4 seeds go in the top bracket and 2 and 3 in the bottom.

Liberty at James Madison (1)
Richmond at Wofford

Villanova at SIU (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

South Carolina State at Appalachian State (2)
Colgate at New Hampshire

Texas State at Montana (3)
Eastern Kentucky at Northern Iowa

I'm OK with that.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
OK, post em here including seeds, hosts and pairings. Remember, conference mates cannot meet in the first round. The 1 and 4 seeds go in the top bracket and 2 and 3 in the bottom.

Richmond at Wofford

Villanova at SIU (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

Colgate at New Hampshire

I'm OK with that.

???

smcwildcat
November 22nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
interesting I see the only place colgate could go is unh where else?

89Hen
November 22nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
???
What is the question?

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
LU at JMU(1)
Wofford at SC State

Colgate at 'Nova (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

Richmond at App (2)
EKU at UNI

SIU at UNH

I just get this feeling that the big $$$ involved with a game at SC State will send Woff there. And I couldn't decide between Nova or Poly as the 4 seed, but it didn't matter cuz Weber would go to Poly anyways. (In my opinion)

whitey
They (Colgate) could go to Villanova if Nova gets the 4th seed. It's a 220 mile trip.

FCS_pwns_FBS
Modified 89's a bit.

Colgate at James Madison (1)
Richmond at Wofford

Villanova at CAl Poly (4)
Weber State at SIU

Eastern Kentucky at New Hampshire

Maine at Northern Iowa

whitey
November 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
For those of you sending Richmond to Appalachian State can I ask why? South Carolina State is about 100 miles closer to Boone.

SunCoastBlueHen

Richmond at Wofford

Villanova at SIU (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

Colgate at New Hampshire

I'm OK with that.

That looks reasonable to me. May I add...

I see the CAA going 4-0 in that scenario. xthumbsupx

UNH Fanboi
What is the question?

Sorry. I think Villanova and Cal Poly have better claims to the 4th seed, and even if SIU did get the 4th seed, I don't see why they would send Villanova away and not Richmond.

ToTheLeft
Why do you guys have Nova traveling? Especially out of the Northeast?

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Upper Bracket
Liberty @ #1 James Madison
Wofford @ South Carolina State

Weber State @ #4 Cal Poly
Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Richmond @ #2 Appalachian State
Colgate @ Villanova

Eastern Kentucky @ #3 Southern Illinois
New Hampshire @ Northern Iowa

griz37
November 22nd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

Your anti-Montana slant is showing. No way are we not a seed after today.

Edge316007
Modified 89's a bit.

Richmond at Wofford

Weber State at SIU

Maine at Northern Iowa

I like these, even though it'll never happen due to too many plane trips. Only Cal Poly gets screwed in the first round. I still contend that Weber St, Montana and Cal Poly should all not play each other in the first round, even if it means a cross country trip for someone. They're flying anyway, who cares how far

ToTheLeft
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

That's almost what mine looked like! xthumbsupx

I didn't have SIU as a seed, but i had EKU going there. But I just thought that UNH NIU was too much good team for one first round matchup, and broke it up.

B&G
November 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Liberty @ (1)James Madison
Wofford @ South Carolina St
Weber St @ (4)Cal Poly
Richmond @ Northern Iowa

Eastern Kentucky @ (2)Appalachian St
Colgate @ Villanova
Texas St @ (3)Montana
New Hampshire @ Southern Illinois

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Why is Montana going to stay at home when they are at large and Weber is the AQ? Thats lame.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

I didn't have SIU as a seed, but i had EKU going there. But I just thought that NHU NIU was too much good team for one first round matchup, and broke it up.

Can one of you guys give a reason why Wofford would go to SCSU and ASU would play Richmond? Logically, the #2 seed would get the easier road. Not to mention, a Wofford/ Richmond re-match would be nice.

griz37
November 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Why is Montana going to stay at home when they are at large and Weber is the AQ? Thats lame.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Plus Weber lost 3 games, Griz only 1.

89Hen
November 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Sorry. I think Villanova and Cal Poly have better claims to the 4th seed, and even if SIU did get the 4th seed, I don't see why they would send Villanova away and not Richmond.
OK on the seed question, but you have to remember that sending teams on the road after the four seeds has NOTHING to do with deserving for on-field performance. It has everything to do with attendance and facilities. xnodx

CharlestonAppFan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Wofford at James Madison (1)
Liberty at Richmond *

SIU at Villanova (4)
Cal Poly at Weber State *

Colgate at New Hampshire

E. Kentucky at Northern Iowa

*could be switched

89Hen
November 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
But I just thought that NHU NIU was too much good team for one first round matchup
Doesn't matter. If it works geographically and for second round considerations, it will happen.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Can one of you guys give a reason why Wofford would go to SCSU and ASU would play Richmond? Logically, the #2 seed would get the easier road. Not to mention, a Wofford/ Richmond re-match would be nice.

SCSU hosts because of $$$, only reason.

And I would say that Richmond isn't that "difficult" of a "road". I mean, I am sure EKU would be easier... maybe it should be EKU at App. I dunno. Just didn't think about it all that much, I guess.

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Liberty @ (1)James Madison
Wofford @ South Carolina St
Weber St @ (4)Cal Poly
Richmond @ Northern Iowa

Eastern Kentucky @ (2)Appalachian St
Colgate @ Villanova
Texas St @ (3)Montana
New Hampshire @ Southern Illinois

I agree this looks like a winner to me...

Hansel
November 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM

2 less losses and 26000 fans

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Your anti-Montana slant is showing...Your UM xhomerx is showing AGAIN! xlolx xnodx

I just think that AQs deserve seeds over non-AQs. So UNI and UM do not get seeds. Simple as that. You can perceive anti-Montana slant and feel all underappreciated and persecuted like App fans do. I think its cute. xsmoochx xprost2x

GRZZ
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

Ra...er...Syntax Error doesn't pick Montana. Shocking...xeyebrowx xcoffeex xsmiley_wix :) :)

ToTheLeft
Doesn't matter. If it works geographically and for second round considerations, it will happen.

I wouldn't think New Hampshire to Iowa works geographically, anyways. There's enough teams in the northeast to keep most of the matchups close enough.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 22nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
EKU will most likely play at SIU because that avoids a plane trip (336 miles according to google).

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

And I would say that Richmond isn't that "difficult" of a "road". I mean, I am sure EKU would be easier... maybe it should be EKU at App. I dunno. Just didn't think about it all that much, I guess.

SCSU has that much $? News to me, especially with Jerry Richardson being a WoCo alum. Anyways, Richmond should have beaten JMU. I think Richmond is more difficult than SCSU.

tribe_pride
November 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

The AQ is just a formality. Both teams tied for 1st in the conference.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Syntax Error doesn't pick Montana.GRZZ does nothing but smack... SHOCKING xrolleyesx

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2008, 07:20 PM
SCSU has that much $? News to me, especially with Jerry Richardson being a WoCo alum. Anyways, Richmond should have beaten JMU. I think Richmond is more difficult than SCSU.

Richmond should have beaten JMU? Hmmm, not sure about that, and I was at the game. Granted it was even, but if you are going to make any statement about a team who should have beaten JMU it would be 'Nova.

DTSpider
November 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
One quick question, why would Richmond travel to Wofford? UR has a bigger stadium and a history of high bids.

Edge316007
Liberty vs. #1 James Madison
Wofford vs. South Carolina State

New Hampshire vs. #4 Cal Poly
Northern Iowa vs. Weber St.

Eastern Kentucky vs. #2 Appalachian State
Richmond vs. Southern Illinois

Texas State vs. #3 Montana
Colgate vs. Villanova

Closest thing to a true bracket I could come up with

Ready? Break!

GRZZ

My thoughts that the Griz deserve a seed aside...They are 11-1, why wouldn't they be at home in the first round?

GrizFamily

Wofford was the AQ last year and got a trip to the WaGriz for it while Ap State stayed at home.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Richmond should have beaten JMU? Hmmm, not sure about that, and I was at the game. Granted it was even, but if you are going to make any statement about a team who should have beaten JMU it would be 'Nova.

I watched the game. Winning by 8 with what 2 minutes left, JMU gets a TD and a 2 pointer and wins with a returned punt with .18 on the clock? If nothing else it SHOULD have gone into OT, or do you think I am wrong on that too?

GRZZ
November 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
GRZZ can do nothing but smack... SHOCKING xrolleyesx

Umm, you know thats not true but thats alright. Look at all my posts from today and tell me how many of them are smack? You wont answer because when facts run into your statements you ignore them.

But we don't have to smack, will you please explain to me your reasoning behind a CaL Polly team with more losses than the 11-1 Griz and a head-to-head loss to those same Grizzlies getting a seed over them?

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM

$$$ as in seating 20k+.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Villanova is submitting a bid and will get a home game whether they are seeded or not. I believe they will get Colgate. The CAA has already submitted JMU and Nova as their top two teams and they want home bids for both of them. If anyone gets sent on the road it would be UNH and/or Richmond. I see UNH getting sent on the road and Richmond may get a home game if they outbid their opponent, which is very possible.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
$$$ as in seating 20k+.

Ehh, we'll see about that. Maybe you're right, but I still see SCSU going to Boone.

tribe_pride
South Carolina St. at #1 James Madison
W&M at Wofford

Weber St at #4 Cal Poly
UNH at Northern Iowa

Eastern Kentucky at #2 Appalachian State
SIU at Richmond

Texas State at #3 Montana
Colgate at Villanova

ASUMountaineer
Villanova is submitting a bid and will get a home game whether they are seeded or not. I believe they will get Colgate. The CAA has already submitted JMU and Nova as their top two teams and they want home bids for both of them. If anyone gets sent on the road it would be UNH and/or Richmond. I see UNH getting sent on the road and Richmond may get a home game if they outbid their opponent, which is very possible.

Well, we know the CAA gets what it wants. xlolx

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I watched the game. Winning by 8 with what 2 minutes left, JMU gets a TD and a 2 pointer and wins with a returned punt with .18 on the clock? If nothing else it SHOULD have gone into OT, or do you think I am wrong on that too?

No I agree it should have gone to OT, but that does not meant they should have lost.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM

I didn't have SIU as a seed, but i had EKU going there. But I just thought that NHU NIU was too much good team for one first round matchup, and broke it up.
Its UNH not NHU

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Its UNH not NHU

Sorry, was a typo. I had it right originally.

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Your UM xhomerx is showing AGAIN! xlolx xnodx

I just think that AQs deserve seeds over non-AQs. So UNI and UM do not get seeds. Simple as that. You can perceive anti-Montana slant and feel all underappreciated and persecuted like App fans do. I think its cute. xsmoochx xprost2x

So Cal Poly does not deserve a seed since they are a non-AQ?

Just sayin'

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
I think people are jumping the gun with Liberty. They might get in over a fifth CAA, but not a fourth one. JMU, Nova, UNH, and Maine get in IMO.

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Just cause Villanova submits a bid doesnt mean anything, they need to have a higher bid unless they are a seed.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM
So Cal Poly does not deserve a seed since they are a non-AQ? Just sayin'CP does not play in an AQ conference therefore did not lose an AQ to another conference team in a loss. CP won their conference outright. xnodx

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
I think people are jumping the gun with Liberty. They might get in over a fifth CAA, but not a fourth one. JMU, Nova, UNH, and Maine get in IMO.

Umm, you're missing Richmond, who is getting in for sure. And no, I don't think Maine deserves to get in before LU. MAYBE Bill and Mary does, but not Maine.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Umm, you're missing Richmond, who is getting in for sure. And no, I don't think Maine deserves to get in before LU. MAYBE Bill and Mary does, but not Maine.

xoopsx xoopsx

Scratch that, so yeah, I think Liberty gets in after all.

NSUDemon98
November 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM

A lot of Demon fans thought the same thing back in 2004 xrolleyesx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM

What, exactly, does this mean? All the teams submit bids.

Conferences 'submit' their top teams? What does this mean?

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM

Hope you are correct. Will your tix office be open during Thanksgiving week or is VU closed for part of the week? Do you think day-of-the-game tickets will be available?

rickyball
November 22nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
From what wrenfgun, unhlund and i have discussed, the first prediction seems to fit along the lines of what we thought. I dont think Maine is in with todays lost and I think that Villanova is the 4 seed. Cal Poly's resume just isnt as good as Villanova's and thus I feel they go unseeded.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
What, exactly, does this mean? All the teams submit bids.

Conferences 'submit' their top teams? What does this mean?

Not true, each team has to pony up the min. to get a home game. Some teams do not.

Conferences submit packages to the committee and rank their teams. The CAA submitted JMU and Nova as their top two teams. Not surprising.

proasu89
"I agree with you, but the committee gave ASU the seed last year even though they were not the SoCon AQ."

Nope. We got to play EWU at home because they beat McNeese. Otherwise we were packing in the second round.

patssle
A lot of Demon fans thought the same thing back in 2004 xrolleyesx

That one's easy...our AD was on the committee. xthumbsupx

AQ should get home games over at-larges IMHO.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hope you are correct. Will your tix office be open during Thanksgiving week or is VU closed for part of the week? Do you think day-of-the-game tickets will be available?

I think the tix office will be open this week, but really it won't matter. Nova never does well with the Thanksgiving playoff weekend. You will be able to get walk up tickets easily.

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
CP does not play in an AQ conference therefore did not lose an AQ to another conference team in a loss. CP won their conference outright. xnodx

Therefore, since UM lost one game to Weber and they are the AQ, they should get a preference for a seed, but Cal Poly, whom does not play in a conference with and AQ is an at-large, but should get a seed over a UM team that beat them?

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
Just cause Villanova submits a bid doesnt mean anything, they need to have a higher bid unless they are a seed.

Very few teams overbid the first round. Most bid the minimum. The committee ranks the teams 1-16 and then open the bids. If the bids are the same, the higher ranked team gets the home game.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Well, we know the CAA gets what it wants. xlolx

Well, let's just say the CAA is pushing hard for certain scenarios. :p

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Very few teams overbid the first round. Most bid the minimum. The committee ranks the teams 1-16 and then open the bids. If the bids are the same, the higher ranked team gets the home game.

Incorrect, they seed the top 4 and then match up the teams. Only after the games are decided do they open the bids, and then the best bid hosts. You could actually have 2 teams matched in one game that submitted larger bids than the 2 teams in another game.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
Incorrect, they seed the top 4 and then match up the teams. Only after the games are decided do they open the bids, and then the best bid hosts. You could actually have 2 teams matched in one game that submitted larger bids than the 2 teams in another game.

You are correct, they rank them 1-16, set up the games based on their rankings and regional match-ups and then open the bids once the games are paired up. If the bids are the same, they give the home game to their higher ranked team.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Therefore, since UM lost one game to Weber and they are the AQ, they should get a preference for a seed, but Cal Poly, whom does not play in a conference with and AQ is an at-large, but should get a seed over a UM team that beat them?That's my guess. Relax guy, everyone gets an opinion. Weber and CP played multiple FBS teams, UM played none. CP beat one FBS and had another beat like they had Montana but the kicker sunk them again. You know all this. Geez. Have your opinion and I'll have mine. The next round's on me. xprost2x

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
There is no ranking 1-16. They seed the top 4, then matchup teams according to geography. After the matchups are determined, they open the bids for the 4 nonseed game, and the high bid determines the home team.

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
So who gets home games outside of the seeds is based on amount of $ bidded? That's what I thought, but a McNeese fan claimed otherwise.

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM

Richmond at Wofford

Villanova at SIU (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

Colgate at New Hampshire

I'm OK with that.

The Teams are good!! I just have a problem with your matchups. South Carolina State is going all out with a bid to host a home game in the 1st Round. I wouldn't be surprised to see SCSU host the game and Wofford travel to Orangeburg.

Should that happen, then Richmond would be out in the cold. They may have to travel to play App State.

Just my opinion!!xlolx xlolx

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
So syntax, what does it matter if Weber played two FBS teams and UM none? They lost both games, and I do not see any reason they should get a boost because they scheduled them. I also have a hard time with you saying one team should get seeded over another because they beat them, but then disregard the identical criteria when discussing another team? This is not meant to trash either Weber or Poly, I just think you have a problem with UM, so I guess I am trashing you a little.

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
So who gets home games outside of the seeds is based on amount of $ bidded? That's what I thought, but a McNeese fan claimed otherwise.

The NCAA looks at several variables like size of stadium and amount of money bid to host a home game.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Even I can argue against my own pick, but I'll say

Liberty at James Madison (1) - the 8th at-large sure was a pain to pick. "Oh, I dunno, I'll just say liberty" was my tiebreaker
New Hampshire at Richmond

Cal Poly at Montana (4)
Texas State at Weber State

Wofford at Southern Illinois

Colgate at Villanova (3)

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM

Liberty at James Madison (1) - the 8th at-large sure was a pain to pick. "Oh, I dunno, I'll just say liberty"

Cal Poly at Montana (4)

Colgate at Villanova (3)

UNH and Richmond can't play each other in the first round because they are in the same conference

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM

Liberty at James Madison (1) - the 8th at-large sure was a pain to pick. "Oh, I dunno, I'll just say liberty" was my tiebreaker

Cal Poly at Montana (4)

Colgate at Villanova (3)

UR and UNH are both CAA teams. Cant happen.

Syntax Error

Question #7: Understanding that they don’t rank past the first four seeds, I asked about the scheduling of which team is home. I asked if any consideration is given to ranking, even though they don’t seed past four, or was it all based on bids and facilities, etc. Here was his reply; “We look at the facility and attendance figures, quality of the place and things like that and the bid. There is the financial aspect of it. The committee doesn’t get that information [financial bids] until after the field of 16 is selected. Then when we get into the pairing process is when we are privy to that information.” To further clarify, I asked a hypothetical that they might have a team that was just out of the top four but their facilities where not as good so therefore they might be traveling in the first round to which he replied; “That is correct.”http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-playoff-facts-review-and-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

TexasTerror

Pat -- please read and remember, so I don't have to go finding this again! ;)

Site Determination. With regard to first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3, the NCAA Division I Football Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
a. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
First round—$30,000
Quarterfinal—$40,000
Semifinal—$50,000
b. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top four seeded teams.
c. When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded, criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance (i.e., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).
d. If a quarterfinal or semifinal playoff site is not available due to the fact the institutions involved did not submit a proposed budget, the committee will contact the institutions and offer the opportunity to submit a bid at the current round’s minimum financial guarantee level. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
e. If no institution is willing to submit a proposed budget at the current level, the previous round’s minimum financial guarantee will be offered. If seeded teams are not involved, the committee will determine the host institutions by applying the championship site-selection criteria in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1.
f. The committee will consider previous crowd-control measures and crowd behavior of the prospective host institution.

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
So syntax, what does it matter if Weber played two FBS teams and UM none? They lost both games, and I do not see any reason they should get a boost because they scheduled them. I also have a hard time with you saying one team should get seeded over another because they beat them, but then disregard the identical criteria when discussing another team? This is not meant to trash either Weber or Poly, I just think you have a problem with UM, so I guess I am trashing you a little.

It has been said a loss is a loss no matter!!!

You lose to two FBS Teams you have 2 loses. If you didn't schedule any FBS games you count the wins over FCS teams.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
... I am trashing you a little.You can stop now. xnonox

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Big Sky: Weber State
CAA: James Madison
MEAC: South Carolina State
MVFC: Southern Illinois
OVC: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot - Colgate
SoCon: Appalachian State
Southland: TXST

At-Larges (most likely)
UNI
New Hampshire
Wofford
Richmond
Cal Poly
Montana
Villanova

Last Seat at the Table: Liberty

Liberty at (1) James Madison
Wofford at South Carolina State

Eastern Kentucky at (4) Southern Illinois
Colgate at Villanova

Richmond at (2) Appalachian State
Weber State at Northern Iowa

New Hampshire at (3) Montana
Texas State at Cal Poly

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
I think the tix office will be open this week, but really it won't matter. Nova never does well with the Thanksgiving playoff weekend. You will be able to get walk up tickets easily.

Thanks. Villanova is about an hour away and I might try to sneak out and catch the game if that is the matchup.

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Pat -- please read and remember, so I don't have to go finding this again! ;)

Thanks TT!!!!!!

No one should have a problem understanding the bidding criteria now.xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
It has been said a loss is a loss no matter!!!
You lose to two FBS Teams you have 2 loses. If you didn't schedule any FBS games you count the wins over FCS teams.FCS won 2 FBS games this year, CP had one and nearly another. So if a team is bragging about its record when playing weaker teams then its worth mentioning that they are bragging about a weaker schedule (see Dayton, etc.). Then again, some fans can't talk about their team at all without blowing a gasket and thinking others hate their team.
xnodx

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Big Sky: Weber State
CAA: James Madison
MEAC: South Carolina State
MVFC: Southern Illinois
OVC: Eastern Kentucky
Patriot - Colgate
SoCon: Appalachian State
Southland: TXST

At-Larges (most likely)
UNI
New Hampshire
Wofford
Richmond
Cal Poly
Montana
Villanova

Last Seat at the Table: Liberty

Liberty at (1) James Madison

Eastern Kentucky at (4) Southern Illinois
Colgate at Villanova

Richmond at (2) Appalachian State
Weber State at Northern Iowa

New Hampshire at (3) Montana
Texas State at Cal Poly

This is a good estimation of the games and the brackets.

Damn good job!!!!!xthumbsupx

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
There is no ranking 1-16. They seed the top 4, then matchup teams according to geography. After the matchups are determined, they open the bids for the 4 nonseed game, and the high bid determines the home team.

The committee does rank their own top 16 to determine the field. We will never know their rankings, only the top 4 seeds. What I am not sure about now based on a few posts is when they open the bids. I am not sure if they open the bids before or after they pair up the games.

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
I can't help thinking that Colgate will get JMU.

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
FCS won 2 FBS games this year, CP had one and nearly another. So if a team is bragging about its record when playing weaker teams then its worth mentioning that they are bragging about a weaker schedule (see Dayton, etc.). Then again, some fans can't talk about their team at all without blowing a gasket and thinking others hate their team.
xnodx

Maybe, they should be like me and hate everything outside of Georgia Southern.xthumbsupx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

You know that I am kidding, right!!!!xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Maybe, they should be like me and hate everything outside of Georgia Southern.xthumbsupx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

You know that I am kidding, right!!!!xrolleyesxsend me the recipe

19Duke97
November 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM

Cal Poly at Montana (4)

Colgate at Villanova (3)

CP and Montana played each other in the regular season and what was already mentioned about UR/UNH/

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Anovafan, they do not rank them from 1-16. They have the 8 AQ and then pick what they deem are the 8 best at large teams. This year, it looks as though they will only have to discuss a few teams for the last spot. From these 16 teams, they seed the top 4, the remainin 12 are not put into any sort of ranking order. They then proceed to match teams up. They do not care which team would be 8th or 9th, because it does not matter to the process.

I would like to add that I wish the teams were put into a 1-16 order and used for matchups.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:24 PM
A Colgate fan brought up a good point... what if the committee sees them as an easier road for the 1 seed and sends them to H'Burg?

Colgate at JMU(1)
Wofford at SC State

SIU at Nova (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

EKU at App (2)
UNI at UNH

TxSt at Montana (3)
Liberty at Richmond

Eaglegus2
November 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
send me the recipe

Do you really think you call handle the BREAKFAST PUNCH?

It has led to the destruction of many a good man.:D xeekx

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
UNH and Richmond can't play each other in the first round because they are in the same conference

ARGH! Forgot to check that. Then I'll say
Colgate at New Hampshire

Southern Illinois at Villanova (4)
Texas State at Richmond

Cal Poly at Weber State

Wofford at Eastern Kentucky

If I switch out Villanova for Poly with the 4 seed
Colgate at New Hampshire

Weber State at Cal Poly (4)
Southern Illinois at Richmond

Villanova at Northern Iowa

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Anovafan, they do not rank them from 1-16. They have the 8 AQ and then pick what they deem are the 8 best at large teams. This year, it looks as though they will only have to discuss a few teams for the last spot. From these 16 teams, they seed the top 4, the remainin 12 are not put into any sort of ranking order. They then proceed to match teams up. They do not care which team would be 8th or 9th, because it does not matter to the process.

I would like to add that I wish the teams were put into a 1-16 order and used for matchups.

I'm not sure this is true, unless you know someone on the committee. I do know they rank teams regionally each week and that is how they determine who gets in and who is left out.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Colgate at New Hampshire

Texas State at Richmond

Cal Poly at Weber State

Colgate at New Hampshire

That would be one heck of a road trip! Going to Richmond and Missoula in one day!

:)

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
They can get directions from Wofford. :) Maybe I messed up there. I didn't check geography too carefully this time.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
They can get directions from Wofford. :) Maybe I messed up there. I didn't check geography too carefully this time.

No, I mean you have Texas State playing in two different first round games. :)

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
After criticizing other people's predictions, I'll put up my own:

Liberty at (1) JMU
UNH at Northern Iowa

Colgate at (4) Villanova
Richmond at Southern Illinois

Eastern Kentucky at (2) Appalachian St.
South Carolina St. at Wofford

Texas State at (3) Montana
Weber St. at Cal Poly

danefan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure this is true, unless you know someone on the committee. I do know they rank teams regionally each week and that is how they determine who gets in and who is left out.

That is true but the regional rankings are done by regional advisory groups. Those groups make recommendations to the committee on who should get in and they do have a "secret" ranking of some sort.

Check out the interview with Committee Chair John McCutcheon.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-playoff-facts-review-and-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

jmuroller
November 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM

Learn the rules bud....money doesn't matter when pairing the seeds. Whoever is closer and isn't a conference mate to the next seed is traveling.

Anovafan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:54 PM
That is true but the regional rankings are done by regional advisory groups. Those groups make recommendations to the committee on who should get in and they do have a "secret" ranking of some sort.

Check out the interview with Committee Chair John McCutcheon.
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-caa-today-playoff-facts-review-and-i&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Thought I read that somewhere, thanks. I defer to that interview for all facts regarding the selection committee and redact any of my previous misstatements!

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
There seem to be about 17 different interpretations of the rules. I'm trying man! I was an FBS'er until I started going to Liberty, so give me some time to figure this out. :P

GannonFan
November 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
Learn the rules bud....money doesn't matter when pairing the seeds. Whoever is closer and isn't a conference mate to the next seed is traveling.

There are plenty of times that non-seeded teams close to other seeds do not necessarily go to play that seed. The only rule when it comes to the playoffs and seedings and pairings is that there are no consistent "rules". xthumbsupx

putter
November 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

Whether it is the rules or not, this matchup sticks it to the western teams.....

bullseye44
November 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
To what extent is W&M in the mix here. I've got to think with all that went on today, that its got to be down to W&M/Liberty/Maine for the last spot.

I think W&M trumps Maine by virtue of CAA South >> CAA North.

W&M is 7-4 with losses at NC State (34-24), at #1 JMU (48-24), #6 Villanova (38-28), #7 Richmond (23-20 in OT) in FCS, but with our only real quality win at #11 New Hampshire (38-34). Non conference wins over VMI and Norfolk State not exactly a huge boost to the resume.

Liberty sits at 9-2 with losses to a decent Lafayette team and an FCS transitional school (Presbyterian). Non conference wins over North Greenville, Glenville State, at Western Carolina, at Youngstown State, Stony Brook, and Elon help offset the weak Big South slate, but not exactly like going 9-2 in the CAA.

Only common opponent was VMI. W&M beats them at home 52-17, Liberty beats them on the road 38-26.

Personally, I think W&M has at least as good of a case as Liberty, but maybe I'm just being a homer :)

Too bad we didn't play them again this year!

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Wofford at James Madison (1)
Liberty at Richmond *

SIU at Villanova (4)
Cal Poly at Weber State *

Colgate at New Hampshire

E. Kentucky at Northern Iowa

*could be switched

This would be my pickxnodx

GannonFan
November 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM

Richmond at Wofford

Villanova at SIU (4)
Weber State at Cal Poly

Colgate at New Hampshire

I'm OK with that.

I wouldn't be shocked by that. Although I could see SC St staying home to host Wofford, EKU going to Appy St, and Richmond (or nova) going out to play in the UNI-Dome.

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
No I agree it should have gone to OT, but that does not meant they should have lost.

Semantics. ok.

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
CP and Montana played each other in the regular season and what was already mentioned about UR/UNH/

But the difference is CP & Montana aren't in the same conference,UR & UNH are. Still,I think they would try to avoid it if possible.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Liberty sits at 9-2 with losses to a decent Lafayette team and an FCS transitional school (Presbyterian). Non conference wins over North Greenville, Glenville State, at Western Carolina, at Youngstown State, Stony Brook, and Elon help offset the weak Big South slate, but not exactly like going 9-2 in the CAA.

Stony Brook is in conference for us now. :P

And I agree that it's a shame we didn't play again. Would have settled a lot of issues. :P

nevadagriz
November 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
If they put Montana and Poly together in the first round that would be f'd up like a home made radio. Regionalization is the worst thing to happen to the Playoffs. I also do not see how poly would deserve a seed over Montana, after they lost today. A loss is a loss no matter I-aa or FBS.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
No, I mean you have Texas State playing in two different first round games. :)

*bonks head against wall* I should give up and claim Poly gets the seed over Villanova.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Pat -- please read and remember, so I don't have to go finding this again! ;)It's in the sticky post about the championship.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Do you really think you call handle the BREAKFAST PUNCH?

It has led to the destruction of many a good man.I have several times already, remember?

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Whether it is the rules or not, this matchup sticks it to the western teams.....Why? It probably guarantees 2 winners in the first round and one making it to the semis. It is geographically nice too. They do that to others every year.

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
Question. Would it be possible that for the final at-large, they take geography into consideration to balance out the possible field?

Grabholdofyosef
November 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Upper

EKU @ #1 JMU
UNI @ UNH

Weber st @ cal poly
texas st @ #4 Montana

lower

W&M @ #2 ASU
wofford @ SCst

Richmond @ SIU
colgate @ #3 nova

Grabholdofyosef
November 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Upper

EKU @ #1 JMU
UNI @ UNH

Weber st @ cal poly
texas st @ #4 Montana

lower

W&M @ #2 ASU
wofford @ SCst

Richmond @ SIU
colgate @ #3 nova

MacThor
After criticizing other people's predictions, I'll put up my own:

Liberty at (1) JMU
UNH at Northern Iowa

Colgate at (4) Villanova
Richmond at Southern Illinois

Eastern Kentucky at (2) Appalachian St.
South Carolina St. at Wofford

Texas State at (3) Montana
Weber St. at Cal Poly

They are not going to put all four CAA teams on one side of the bracket.

tingly
Colgate at New Hampshire

Texas State at Richmond

Northern Iowa at Montana (3)
Cal Poly at Weber State

Colgate at New Hampshire

fixed

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
Colgate is coming to Villanova, whether we are seeded or not. They are about 100 miles closer to Villanova than UNH.

clenz
November 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Upper

EKU @ #1 JMU
UNI @ UNH

Weber st @ cal poly
texas st @ #4 Montana

lower

W&M @ #2 ASU
wofford @ SCst

Richmond @ SIU
colgate @ #3 nova

UNI @ UNH? UNI will get a first round home game...be it by seed or bid. Not too many teams are going to outbid a 10-2 co-champ that will draw 16,500. Especially when our AD said he will make sure every game we have a chance to get at home will be at home.

unialum95
November 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Grabholdofyosef
Upper

EKU @ #1 JMU
UNI @ UNH

UNI @ UNH? Seriously?

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I sent them to New Hampshire cuz I started by matching whoever was closest to the northeasternmost team. Villanova makes more sense since So. Illinois is flying either way.

RabidRabbit
November 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
They are not going to put all four CAA teams on one side of the bracket.

I don't think they're supposed to consider something like that, but I definitely thought about it and hesitated a bit. Oh well, we shall see.

crunifan
November 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
Do some of you actually believe UNI will get sent to New Hampshire or Montana? UNI will be hosting a game, regardless if they get a seed or not.

But, it appears New Hampshire fans will get another dose of the Dome. Hopefully they can handle it after last year. xlolx

UNHWildCats
November 22nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Do some of you actually believe UNI will get sent to New Hampshire or Montana? UNI will be hosting a game, regardless if they get a seed or not.

But, it appears New Hampshire fans will get another dose of the Dome. Hopefully they can handle it after last year. xlolx
If UNH goes to UNI, UNI should be real worried. These seniors aren't going to want to lose to you guys three times in four years.

I agree though, no way UNH hosts UNI. But at the same time, I think the committee wont place them together in the first round if they dont have to.

Khan4Cats
November 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Okay, here goes:

Liberty at #1 James Madison

Colgate at #4 Villanova
Richmond at Northern Iowa

New Hampshire at Southern Illinois

Weber State at Cal-Poly

Thoughts:
Liberty is last team in as the best "2-loss" team. They also match-up for travel purposes to be sent to JMU as, essentially, the 16 seed. Florida A&M might get consideration. Elon would be a tough sell considering their loss to Liberty, another CAA team adds all sorts of issues with regionality (like at least two and maybe three teams heading west).

Liberty/JMU, Nova/Colgate, SCState/Wofford, EKU/ASU match-up regionally for travel.

I also see Cal-Poly/Weber as a regional match-up in the west, may not be "fair" but it fits the travel profile the committee has used. Texas State gets to join in the fun and head to Montana.

UNH traveled to UNI last year and I don't know that they will want to repeat that, so Richmond travels to UNI and UNH goes to SIU. I suppose UNH could end up in Montana with TSU coming to UNI or SIU and Richmond heading to the other.

As for the brackets, it's possible that the Richmond/UNI and Cal-Poly/Weber State slots could be flipped, that would spread the 4 CAA teams to all four brackets and break up the western teams, but I'm not sure it will happen.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM

Bring it on. UNH actually has a running game and defense this year

charliej
November 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, here goes:

Colgate at #4 Villanova

Weber State at Cal-Poly

Thoughts:
Liberty is last team in as the best "2-loss" team. They also match-up for travel purposes to be sent to JMU as, essentially, the 16 seed. Florida A&M might get consideration. Elon would be a tough sell considering their loss to Liberty, another CAA team adds all sorts of issues with regionality (like at least two and maybe three teams heading west).

Liberty/JMU, Nova/Colgate, SCState/Wofford, EKU/ASU match-up regionally for travel.

I also see Cal-Poly/Weber as a regional match-up in the west, may not be "fair" but it fits the travel profile the committee has used. Texas State gets to join in the fun and head to Montana.

UNH traveled to UNI last year and I don't know that they will want to repeat that, so Richmond travels to UNI and UNH goes to SIU. I suppose UNH could end up in Montana with TSU coming to UNI or SIU and Richmond heading to the other.

As for the brackets, it's possible that the Richmond/UNI and Cal-Poly/Weber State slots could be flipped, that would spread the 4 CAA teams to all four brackets and break up the western teams, but I'm not sure it will happen.
This looks good to me too.xthumbsupx

crunifan
November 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Bring it on. UNH actually has a running game and defense this year

Trust me, against UNI, your running game is worthless. Its your passing game that would light us up. It would be another classic as the last two were, that is for sure.

Personally, I would at least like to avoid it for the first round. But a second round match up would be better.xnodx

Appguy
November 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Colgate at 1.JMU
EKU at UNI

Texas State at 4.Cal Poly
Wofford at Villanova

SC State at 2. App St.
Richmond at SIU

William & Mary at 3.Montana
New Hampshire at Weber St.

someone who deserves a home game will get screwed out of it, just too many good teams
(New Hampshire being the 3rd in in the CAA forces it)
Im aware of the usual mismatching because of proximity but it seems like all the teams that are close together are also in the same conferences which is a no-no right?

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
is there a reason people think UNH is going to be sent across country.

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
i will bet that colgate gose to UNH

JMU Duke Dog
November 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Liberty (10-2) at #1 James Madison (10-1) – 100 miles
Colgate (9-2) at Villanova (9-2) – 233 miles

Weber State (9-3) at #4 Cal Poly (8-2) – flying
Texas State (8-4) at Northern Iowa (10-2) – flying

New Hampshire (9-2) at #3 Montana (11-1) – flying
Eastern Kentucky (8-3) at Southern Illinois (9-2) – 336 miles

Richmond (9-3) at #2 Appalachian State (10-2) – 321 miles
Wofford (9-2) at South Carolina State (10-2) – 131 miles

dasjamin
November 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I do know in the past non-AutoQualifiers have gotten seeded (last year SIU) but has a non-AutoQualifier ever gotten a seed and the AutoQualifier in the same conference.

Example, Could UNI get a seed over autoqualifier SIU.

I think the #3 and #4 seed are up for grabs. SIU, UNI, Cal Poly, Montana, 'nova all have a case for those spots.

UNH Fanboi
November 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM

Because they have crappy facilities, and the only team close to them (Colgate) will probably be sacrificed to one of the seeds.

jlcharles
November 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Because they have crappy facilities, and the only team close to them (Colgate) will probably be sacrificed to one of the seeds.

Colgate is coming to Villanova, seed or not. Book it.

Appguy
November 22nd, 2008, 10:55 PM

1.someone has to
2.3rd/4th best team in CAA
3.a SOCON team got stuck with it last year and it worked for them, its the CAA's turn.

with that said you could make the same argument for richmond to make the trip but with like opponent W&M RIchomnd won and UNH didnt

Colgate is coming to Villanova, seed or not. Book it.
Why wouldn't they go to the 1 seed? the Gate usually gets stuck with the 1 seed if you look at their latest appearance(s) (they get no love)

Example, Could UNI get a seed over autoqualifier SIU.
hard to argue for that with their head to head meeting IMO

DTSpider
November 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'm too lazy to look up the distances, but are either Eastern Kentucky or SC State closer to Boone than Richmond?

JMU Duke Dog
November 22nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
I'm too lazy to look up the distances, but are either Eastern Kentucky or SC State closer to Boone than Richmond?

Eastern Kentucky to Appalachian State = 304 miles
South Carolina State to Appalachian State = 229 miles

colgate13
November 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
My fingers are crossed for UNH hosting Colgate. I will be there if so!

crunifan
November 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
I almost guarantee Eastern Kentucky gets sent to SIU. SIU gets so lucky every year to get the OVC Champion simply due to geography.

smcwildcat
November 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM

no wayy in hell bro

smcwildcat
November 22nd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Okay, here goes:

Colgate at #4 Villanova

Weber State at Cal-Poly

Thoughts:

i like that at a boy idk though well see tomororow itl be sickk

JMU Duke Dog
November 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
no wayy in hell bro

Are you upset about my prediction of New Hampshire playing at Montana? Colgate is geographically closer to Villanova than New Hampshire meaning that New Hampshire has to fly somewhere. xreadx

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

I think Ra er Syntax is pretty close, but with these changes:

Weber State @ Cal Poly
Eastern Kentucky @ #4 Southern Illinois

Colgate @ Villanova

Texas State @ #3Montana

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 11:18 PM
New hampshire is further away from any western school than anyone in the east. other than montana who i dont think will be playing an eastern school.

RabidRabbit
November 22nd, 2008, 11:19 PM

If not SE's match ups which screw the west (MT vs Weber or Poly in the second round) (Sorry Tx St, loser to SUU isn't making it out of the 1st round) then this splits the 2 Big Fluffies. Can't meet til championship. Selection committee also tries to not have conference mates play until 3rd round, if possible.

art vandelay
November 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
liberty @ JMU
Wofford at Nova

Weber @ Poly
Tex @ Montana

South carolina @ Appy
Richmond @ N. Iowa

E. Kentucky @ S. Illionois
Toothpaste @ UNH

RabidRabbit
November 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
If it's over 400 miles (Driving distance per Selection Committee interview, it's a flight. Once flying, doesn't matter where going. especially if you're the 5th team in for a conference.

kirkblitz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
liberty national champions

Appattk
November 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
#1 JMU
vs. Liberty (scoot in after beating Elon)

Colgate
@ Villanova

EKU
@ SIU

Weber St.
#4. Cal-Poly

#3. Montana
vs. Texas State

UNH
@ UNI

Richmond
@ Wofford

S. Carolina St.
#2. ASU

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
Anyway you look at it, there will be 3 teams that have to fly. The most likely candidates are New Hampshire, Northern Iowa, Texas St, Montana, Weber St, and Cal Poly. They will then match these teams together in 3 games. My guess is that Montana and UNI will host.

RationalGriz
November 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Art, I do not think yours will work because by NCAA guidelines you have 4 teams that would have to fly.

Appguy
November 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
yea...because National Champions lose to the Blue Ho's....

grizd
November 22nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
I assume that all of you that are matching up the Griz, CP and Weebs in the same bracket realize that anybody will have to fly to any of those locations. My guess is that JMU Duke Dog is pretty close (with a couple of small changes) for the following reasons:

IF JMU and Nova win, the NCAA has a cheap game with Nova driving to JMU for a second round matchup.

New Hampshire (9-2) at Northern Iowa (10-2) – flying

Any of these four have to fly regardless of where they play, so they setup an opportunity for UNI to host and pull in some bank for the NCAA should Weebs pull an upset at Poly. I switched NH and TX ST for the simple fact that it shortens the trip for NH.

Texas State (8-4) at #3 Montana (11-1) – flying

Montana gets a nod to a seed with a tough SIU team waiting for them should they get by another set of Kitties this week. Montana will get a seed because they are 11-1 and get big crowds. The committee had a weight lifted off their shoulders (checkbook) with the Weber loss.

This is the biggest no brainer bracket because they can count on another cheap game and 2 rounds of huge crowds.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 11:39 PM
If Richmond-App State happens, that could be the televised game.

Appattk
November 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I assume that all of you that are matching up the Griz, CP and Weebs in the same bracket realize that anybody will have to fly to any of those locations. My guess is that JMU Duke Dog is pretty close (with a couple of small changes) for the following reasons:

IF JMU and Nova win, the NCAA has a cheap game with Nova driving to JMU for a second round matchup.

New Hampshire (9-2) at Northern Iowa (10-2) – flying

Any of these four have to fly regardless of where they play, so they setup an opportunity for UNI to host and pull in some bank for the NCAA should Weebs pull an upset at Poly. I switched NH and TX ST for the simple fact that it shortens the trip for NH.

Texas State (8-4) at #3 Montana (11-1) – flying

Montana gets a nod to a seed with a tough SIU team waiting for them should they get by another set of Kitties this week. Montana will get a seed because they are 11-1 and get big crowds. The committee had a weight lifted off their shoulders (checkbook) with the Weber loss.

This is the biggest no brainer bracket because they can count on another cheap game and 2 rounds of huge crowds.

I believe the brackets that I just posted are almost exactly the same except for the bottom bracket.

I think they'll send app S. Carolina St. while putting up a first round signature game of Richmond vs. Wofford.

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 11:53 PM
That would be
South Carolina State (10-2) at #2 Appalachian State (10-2) – 229 miles
Wofford (9-2) at Richmond (9-3) or vice versa – 362 miles

None of the games are obvious for tv with that bracket. Wofford at Richmond might be the closest score.

GGASU
November 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx hold on.... let me catch my breath...

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

art vandelay
November 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Art, I do not think yours will work because by NCAA guidelines you have 4 teams that would have to fly.

Just so everyone knows Art Vandelay is a seinfeld reference not my name. not that it matters.

CJHawkeyes
November 23rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
This is the first year I have followed FCS throughout the year. I was curious to see how a point system I devised for college football would fare when applied to the FCS. That said, below is the playoff field according to my point system. I realize the FCS only seeds four teams. This is just how the teams rank amongst each other. As far as I can tell, South Carolina State is the most politically incorrect result. That said, if Liberty gets in, it looks like 16 for 16.

1-James Madison 65
2-Appalachian State 56
3-South Carolina State 48
4-Montana 47
5-Villanova 47
6-Cal Poly 45
7-Wofford 44
8-Richmond 44
9-Northern Iowa 41
10-New Hampshire 41
11-Southern Illinois 41
12-Eastern Kentucky 37
13-Weber State 35
14-Liberty 34
15-Colgate 32
16-Texas State 16

JaxSinfonian
November 23rd, 2008, 01:31 AM
I almost guarantee Eastern Kentucky gets sent to SIU. SIU gets so lucky every year to get the OVC Champion simply due to geography.

2007 OVC champ EKU went to Richmond.
2004 OVC champ Jax State went to Furman.
2003 OVC champ Jax State went to Western Kentucky.

I find only twice in the last 10 years, '05 & '06, that SIU hosted an OVC champ in the first round.

Grizalltheway
November 23rd, 2008, 01:51 AM

Jesus man, you'd think you would have figured out this whole "money talks" thing by now. xlolx

smcwildcat
November 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
no way does unhgo to iowa again period!

smcwildcat
November 23rd, 2008, 02:15 AM
Are you upset about my prediction of New Hampshire playing at Montana? Colgate is geographically closer to Villanova than New Hampshire meaning that New Hampshire has to fly somewhere. xreadx

no i meant we going to siu

DB_Atlantic10
November 23rd, 2008, 02:56 AM
Modified 89's a bit.

Richmond at Wofford

Weber State at SIU

Maine at Northern Iowa Man, App St. would be a shoe in to the final with this bracket.....while JMU have to replay the CAA top teams again.... just not fair....xnonono2x

blur2005
November 23rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
Just throwing my possible scenario:

Liberty @ (1) JMU

Colgate @ (4) Villanova
SIU @ Richmond

Eastern Kentucky @ (2) Appalachian State
Weber State @ UNI

Texas State @ (3) Montana
UNH @ Cal Poly

DB_Atlantic10
November 23rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
The only guessing here is the seeds...the rest is by rule book and money....so with that being said, it should go like this if the 3rd and 4th seeds are accurate.

1. JMU, Liberty being the closest
2. ASU, SCSU being the closest
3. Montana, Cal Poly being the closest (Montana Head to Head)
4.T Villanova, Colgate being the closest....(Weber St. Loss)
4.T NIU, I think EKU being the closest...(10 Wins is a charm)

How they do it after that is a mystery to me....I just know that they don't open the bids until the seeds have been paired.....

So, best guess of the rest:

Richmond vs Wofford ------UR wins bid here
UNH vs SIU-------SIU wins bid here
Weber St. vs Texas St.-------TSU wins bid here.....

Upper Bracket

1. Liberty at JMU

UNH at SIU

4. Colgate at Villanova (Could go either way with NIU)

EKU at NIU (Could go either way with Villanova)

Lower Bracket

2. SCSU at App. St

Wofford at Richmond

3. Cal Poly at Montana

Weber St at Texas St.

MacThor
November 23rd, 2008, 04:08 AM
I don't think they're supposed to consider something like that, but I definitely thought about it and hesitated a bit. Oh well, we shall see.

Historically, with multiple teams from one conference the committee has tried to set up the bracket so they won't meet until the semifinals, while still staying within the travel guidelines. Obviously with 5 CAA teams last year they had one unavoidable potential matchup in the 2nd round (UD-UNH) but JMU, UR and UMass were all spread out. Wofford & ASU would not have met until the semis; same with SIU-UNI.

Looking at last year's bracket, it almost appears that where they had some leeway, they used the Mason-Dixon line to decide which at-large teams went to the upper bracket or lower bracket. UMass, UD & UNH top half, UR & JMU bottom half. SoCon bottom half. I bet we see something similar this year. JMU-ASU being 1-2 throws a monkey wrench into it a little bit. They'd probably love to have a bracket with all the southeastern teams in one half, but can't.

DB_Atlantic10
November 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
To what extent is W&M in the mix here. I've got to think with all that went on today, that its got to be down to W&M/Liberty/Maine for the last spot.

W&M is 7-4 with losses at NC State (34-24), at #1 JMU (48-24), #6 Villanova (38-28), #7 Richmond (23-20 in OT) in FCS, but with our only real quality win at #11 New Hampshire (38-34). Non conference wins over VMI and Norfolk State not exactly a huge boost to the resume.

Only common opponent was VMI. W&M beats them at home 52-17, Liberty beats them on the road 38-26.

Personally, I think W&M has at least as good of a case as Liberty, but maybe I'm just being a homer :)

Too bad we didn't play them again this year! Dude, as a Tribe Alum, I'm sad to say that they are not going......

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
Computer ratings didn't improve much for Cal Poly. If you go by the ones used for NCAA's version of GPI, none have Poly as a contender for a seed with Wolfe yet to update.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
I've changed my mind based on a few things and I'll post my bracket later but I think the seeds will be JMU, ASU, VU and UM.

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
I don't understand the reasoning of many AGS posters. Every week for the last 3 or 4 weeks AGS posters have came to the conclusion (on the average) that Cal Poly is #3, UNI is #4, and Montana is #5. Yet in this thread NOBODY has seeded UNI. In case you guys didn't notice this crew some of which has ranked SIU nothing higher than #9 has seeded SIU 3 or 4? Why? You have seeded Montana over UNI yet have them below them in the polls, why? Some of you have seeded a 7-2 (in the eyes of the committe) Cal Poly team that can't even excecute the simplest of plays a seed over UNI, why? When a team loses, they drop in the polls. Example, UNI missed a field goal as time expired that would have beat Iowa State in 06', UNI dropped 6 spots in the polls, you don't think Cal Poly shouldn't, IT IS STILL A LOSS AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD LOSS!

I am not sitting here trying to be a homer telling you I think UNI should get seeded, I think if we get a poor matchup we could even lose first round, but there is no reasoning behind the seeds I am seeing.

Saint3333
November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
People that think Montana doesn't get a seed after Weber St. lost yesterday are going to be very disappointed about 7PM tonight.

Montana has one loss, has a head to head win over Cal Poly, and 25K fans. JMU, ASU, and Montana will be seeds. This AQ argument for seeds is what someone thinks should happen...

Pantherpower
November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 AM
I don't understand the reasoning of many AGS posters. Every week for the last 3 or 4 weeks AGS posters have came to the conclusion (on the average) that Cal Poly is #3, UNI is #4, and Montana is #5. Yet in this thread NOBODY has seeded UNI. In case you guys didn't notice this crew some of which has ranked SIU nothing higher than #9 has seeded SIU 3 or 4? Why? You have seeded Montana over UNI yet have them below them in the polls, why? Some of you have seeded a 7-2 (in the eyes of the committe) Cal Poly team that can't even excecute the simplest of plays a seed over UNI, why? When a team loses, they drop in the polls. Example, UNI missed a field goal as time expired that would have beat Iowa State in 06', UNI dropped 6 spots in the polls, you don't think Cal Poly shouldn't, IT IS STILL A LOSS AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOD LOSS!

I am not sitting here trying to be a homer telling you I think UNI should get seeded, I think if we get a poor matchup we could even lose first round, but there is no reasoning behind the seeds I am seeing.

Amen! If we're not the fourth-best team in the nation according to the three major polls, then why are all three putting us there?!?! Hell, we'll probably jump to #3 after yesterday. If you wish, interchange us with Montana with Montana #3 and UNI #4 but either way, it makes a TOTAL HYPOCRISY of all things AGS, TSN and Coaches poll to have us there, yet not consider us worthy of a top 4 seed!!

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM
People that think Montana doesn't get a seed after Weber St. lost yesterday are going to be very disappointed about 7PM tonight.

Montana has one loss, has a head to head win over Cal Poly, and 25K fans. JMU, ASU, and Montana will be seeds. This AQ argument for seeds is what someone thinks should happen...

Agreed, Montana should without a doubt be seed, the should be seeded #4 but I hope they get the #3. I really wouldn't want to go to Boone.

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Amen! If we're not the fourth-best team in the nation according to the three major polls, then why are all three putting us there?!?! Hell, we'll probably jump to #3 after yesterday. If you wish, interchange us with Montana with Montana #3 and UNI #4 but either way, it makes a TOTAL HYPOCRISY of all things AGS, TSN and Coaches poll to have us there, yet not consider us worthy of a top 4 seed!!GPI had UNI at #9 last week. Just saying.

1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Appalachian St (2.00)
3. Montana (4.63)
4. Richmond (4.88)
5. Villanova (5.25)
6. Cal Poly (5.88)

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM

I think SIU has a better case than most here seem to think.

Won the last seven in a row and in their eight FCS wins they have never trailed.

elkmcc
November 23rd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Upper Bracket

Texas State @ Montana

Lower Bracket
Colgate @ Villanova

Your UM xhomerx is showing AGAIN! xlolx xnodx

I've changed my mind based on a few things and I'll post my bracket later but I think the seeds will be JMU, ASU, VU and UM.

Wow! All the "koolaid" and other disrespecful comments about the griz fans and now your changing your mind?

Maybe you just forgot that the Great West doesn't get an Auto Qualifier?

Rather than admit that you were wrong, I'm surprized that you just didn't delete the thread like you usually do.;)

Either way SE, I applaud you for stepping up and admitting you were wrong.

Pantherpower
November 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
GPI had UNI at #9 last week. Just saying.

1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Appalachian St (2.00)
3. Montana (4.63)
4. Richmond (4.88)
5. Villanova (5.25)
6. Cal Poly (5.88)

Then have us ranked at #9 and don't put us at #3 or #4 where the three systems have us. Seriously, Ralph, what the hell is the point of a poll/ranking system? If this is the way it will be, do away with the polls/rankings and go with GPI. How's it go? I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'?xrulesx xsmiley_wix

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I haven't made a whole mock bracket yet, but I think the seeds are JMU, ASU, Montana and UNI. I don't necessarily think these should be the seeds, but I can't see two western teams seeded or two CAA South teams seeded. And I suspect having a seeded team in the midwest is desirable to the committee.

I also can't fathom a UR-App State matchup in round one. In part because I'd expect us to have a home game, and in part because we could beat App and I suspect the committee doesn't want its premiere team eliminated in the first round. I'll be very surprised if App doesn't host EKU or SC State or Liberty in round one. But stranger things have happened.

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
I would think the committee would want someone else to win the title so outsiders looking in wouldn't think the FCS is a one trick pony

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM

How did Northern Iowa do against Southern Illinois? Neither deserve a seed in my opinion. Northern Iowa barely, and by barely I mean a blocked extra point, beat Youngstown State. Southern Ill trashed them 33-0. You both have 1 FBS loss and 1 conference loss and they beat you head to head.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Wow. There are going to be multiple fan bases that are not going to be happy at about the brackets no matter what happens. Should be an entertaining evening on AGS xthumbsupx . Bring a bucket of popcorn and get here early to get good seats, ladies and gentlemen.

Khan4Cats
November 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM
GPI had UNI at #9 last week. Just saying.

1. James Madison (1.00)
2. Appalachian St (2.00)
3. Montana (4.63)
4. Richmond (4.88)
5. Villanova (5.25)
6. Cal Poly (5.88)

So, you're saying that Richmond should get a seed over Villanova? Despite the head to head?

You have to be. Otherwise, you are admitting that the GPI can be set aside. At which point it becomes completely useless, or even more so depending on your point of view.

Note that I have already predicted JMU, ASU, UM, and VU as the seeds.

ericsaid
November 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
So, you're saying that Richmond should get a seed over Villanova? Despite the head to head?

You have to be. Otherwise, you are admitting that the GPI can be set aside. At which point it becomes completely useless, or even more so depending on your point of view.

Note that I have already predicted JMU, ASU, UM, and VU as the seeds.

If Richmond is that high in the GPI they will not go to App for their first round game.

Eaglegus2
November 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
If Richmond is that high in the GPI they will not go to App for their first round game.

WHY????

I remember a year when Georgia Southern was sent out to San Marcos. What makes you any better than Texas State or Georgia Southern?

Remember: To be a Champion, you have to play the Champion.

paward
November 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have no problem going to App St or anywhere. To get to the next game you have to play and win the one in front of you. I am just happy to be considered for the tournament. At this point and time all 16 teams are even. Go Spiders!

ericsaid
November 23rd, 2008, 09:20 AM
WHY????

I remember a year when Georgia Southern was sent out to San Marcos. What makes you any better than Texas State or Georgia Southern?

Remember: To be a Champion, you have to play the Champion.

But there are four rounds and I wouldn't think the committee would send a team like Richmond to App for a first round game.

Eaglegus2
November 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
But there are four rounds and I wouldn't think the committee would send a team like Richmond to App for a first round game.

Sorry!! You are very naive.

ValleyChamp
November 23rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
How did Northern Iowa do against Southern Illinois? Neither deserve a seed in my opinion. Northern Iowa barely, and by barely I mean a blocked extra point, beat Youngstown State. Southern Ill trashed them 33-0. You both have 1 FBS loss and 1 conference loss and they beat you head to head.

Um yeah. And UNI trashed all the other teams that SIU squeeked by. NDSU, ISU, WIU, SDSU. UNI handled ALL of those teams, while SIU beat them all in the last play of the game or OT.

Philliesfan980
November 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
You'll have to forgive me, I'm pretty new to the FCS scene. I really started following when the Blue Hens made it to the championship game last year. I'm having a great time following the FCS rather than the FBS this year, a lot of great stories!

Why don't the best teams get the home games? From reading this thread, it's not a slam dunk that Villanova will get a first round home game. I've also gathered that this is because of attendance and other money concerns. Has the FCS selection commitee come under any fire for thinking like this? I mean, isn't the goal to crown the best team? Sending Nova on the road for the first game really doesn't accomplish the overall goal.

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Um yeah. And UNI trashed all the other teams that SIU squeeked by. NDSU, ISU, WIU, SDSU. UNI handled ALL of those teams, while SIU beat them all in the last play of the game or OT.

xrolleyesx SIU has not trailed for one second in any of their eight wins. You needed a break to beat Southern Utah fer cryin' out loud.

appstate1998
November 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM

I'll give you the OT game but they beat WIU by ten so thats not the last play of the game. They beat SDSU by a field goal with 3 minutes to go so that's not the last play of the game. I don't care who is better but neither one of you deserve a seed. SIU got the AQ and beat you head to head....seeded you shall not be

smallcollegefbfan
November 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
That's my guess. Relax guy, everyone gets an opinion. Weber and CP played multiple FBS teams, UM played none. CP beat one FBS and had another beat like they had Montana but the kicker sunk them again. You know all this. Geez. Have your opinion and I'll have mine. The next round's on me. xprost2x

I agree with what your saying and feel CP is the better team probably but I include special teams in ranking teams. CP has an awful kicking game right now and as we all know that can kill you in the playoffs. They better get that straightened out or they will have an early exit to the first good team they face that puts them in a tight contest. I mean 3 missed PATs and one missed field goal in the same game? OUCH! CP was the better team and will have to fix that problem before they can go far at all, if they do fix it then everyone, including JMU and APP, watch out!

GolfingGriz
November 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
All I hope is that they dont set up Cal Poly, Weber, and UM to play before the semis. Probably will though

Eight Legger
November 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
You'll have to forgive me, I'm pretty new to the FCS scene. I really started following when the Blue Hens made it to the championship game last year. I'm having a great time following the FCS rather than the FBS this year, a lot of great stories!

Why don't the best teams get the home games? From reading this thread, it's not a slam dunk that Villanova will get a first round home game. I've also gathered that this is because of attendance and other money concerns. Has the FCS selection commitee come under any fire for thinking like this? I mean, isn't the goal to crown the best team? Sending Nova on the road for the first game really doesn't accomplish the overall goal.

There is a link somewhere in here that describes what the committee examines when determining who gets to host a game. But essentially the 12 teams that are not seeded have to compete to host, and they submit bids guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue if they are chosen to host. That is a big factor in determining who hosts, but other things are taken into consideration too, such as travel distance, historical attendance figures, etc.

Philliesfan980
November 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
There is a link somewhere in here that describes what the committee examines when determining who gets to host a game. But essentially the 12 teams that are not seeded have to compete to host, and they submit bids guaranteeing a certain amount of revenue if they are chosen to host. That is a big factor in determining who hosts, but other things are taken into consideration too, such as travel distance, historical attendance figures, etc.

Thanks for the info. So if the top 4 teams are seeded and get a guaranteed home game, then it makes sense to play as hard as you possibly can during the regular season. For the #5 team, it's just "tough luck", and that makes sense.

JMUSaxMRD
November 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Sweet I just figured out I have ESPNU! WOOOHOOO

CharlestonAppFan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:06 AM

Eric, remember last year when we hosted JMU? The committee doesn't care about the strength of schedule in the first round as long as the teams are relatively close distance wise. I agree it doesn't make sense but it's the way it is xnodx JMU has been screwed the past couple of years, as well as Wofford and Montana last year.

clenz
November 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I'll give you the OT game but they beat WIU by ten so thats not the last play of the game. They beat SDSU by a field goal with 3 minutes to go so that's not the last play of the game. I don't care who is better but neither one of you deserve a seed. SIU got the AQ and beat you head to head....seeded you shall not beUNI beat SUU by 10, but that will be held against us.

The child eating dogs might not have trailed, but they have been far from superior to any of the teams they played.

UNH Fanboi
November 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
Neither UNI nor SIU deserves to get a seed over NOVA. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day anyway. Either way they are going to playing at home the first round and traveling if they make it to the next round.

19Duke97
November 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM

They sent JMU there last year, did we deserve that?

WrenFGun
November 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I think Liberty is in. If the source (IAAScribe, I believe) is correct about Liberty remaining on the board despite the Presby loss, then I can't imagine any way that they wouldn't get in after this win, considering their "ideal" situation clearly worked out (win, Richmond and UNH win, other bubble teams fall out or go in [Furman, NDSU, Colgate]). I think Cal Poly is now in, too, with that solid showing against Wisconsin. They are not in based on their resume, which is not clearly better than either W&M's or Maine's, but rather in by their efforts and the amount of talent they've demonstrated. Computer numbers aside, I think most would take Poly over either of those two teams (though at the same time, I think most would take Maine or W&M over Liberty).

Should Liberty be in over either of those two teams? No. Will they get in? Probably, especially if they were on the board previous to the win.

ericsaid
November 23rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
They sent JMU there last year, did we deserve that?

Yes, neither team was seeded thus making a tougher first round match up. App and JMU have played good enough this season to not deserve such a tough opponent in the first round.

smcwildcat
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM

Too bad we didn't play them again this year!

I wont be a debby downer but you guys shoulodnt of won that game... it kills me still the roughing the passer and over the line ....but what can we both do now

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Liberty vs. #1 James Madison
Wofford vs. South Carolina State

New Hampshire vs. #4 Cal Poly
Northern Iowa vs. Weber St.

Eastern Kentucky vs. #2 Appalachian State
Richmond vs. Southern Illinois

Texas State vs. #3 Montana
Colgate vs. Villanova

Closest thing to a true bracket I could come up with

Ready? Break!

No way UNI goes to Weber

smcwildcat
November 23rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
Sweet I just figured out I have ESPNU! WOOOHOOO

haha sweet Im havn my family over to my dorm bc we have it they dont

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM

WTF does that mean? Each team submits individual bids for each round. The CAA has nothing to do with it. If UNH bids more than Nova, Nova is on the road.

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
UNI beat SUU by 10, but that will be held against us.

The child eating dogs might not have trailed, but they have been far from superior to any of the teams they played.

They've schooled everybody in the first half. They're very young and they've tended to rest in the third quarter and as a result have let a few teams back in the game, but they wake up in the 4th quarter and make big plays on big downs when the presure is on.

clenz
November 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
They've schooled everybody in the first half. They're very young and they've tended to rest in the third quarter and as a result have let a few teams back in the game, but they wake up in the 4th quarter and make big plays on big downs when the presure is on.By make big plays you mean wait for the other team to fumble at the 4 yard line going in for a TD? Fumble with about 30 seconds left in the game at their own 30 yard line to set up at last second field goal? Wait for the refs to give a team a fairly bad spot on a 4th down in OT?

GaSouthern
November 23rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Wofford, PLEASE WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR!!!!

Anovafan
November 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
WTF does that mean? Each team submits individual bids for each round. The CAA has nothing to do with it. If UNH bids more than Nova, Nova is on the road.

I responded to this in a prior post. The CAA submitted a package to the committee and rated JMU and Nova as their two top teams and will campaign for both to get a home bid. Not surprising based on records and results.

malibudude
November 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM

Still haven't god rid of that I really don't like Cal Poly syndrome, Have you?

wocorebel
November 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Wofford, PLEASE WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR!!!!

We will do our best.

paward
November 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I responded to this in a prior post. The CAA submitted a package to the committee and rated JMU and Nova as their two top teams and will campaign for both to get a home bid. Not surprising based on records and results.

Since when does the conference submit their teams ranking. Even though you are correct as to the top two teams, I do not see the CAA giving a flying flip unless they are going to pay the bids that are submitted. I thought the schools are responsible for the tab.

Woof
November 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM

How about SC State coming to Wofford ?

PantherRob82
November 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM

The conference can say whatever they want, but if not seeded, BIDS are what matter for home games.

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM
How about SC State coming to Wofford ?

SC State has stadium and the gameday environment, the committee will give them a home game

nmatsen
November 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Still haven't god rid of that I really don't like Cal Poly syndrome, Have you?

Look, I really like Cal Poly, I sure as hell wouldn't want to play them right now, its just that right now your playoff resume is filled with a ton of losing teams, and a couple of coulda, woulda, shouldas.

I guess I just don't get the love. This is one of those situations where if you were applying for a job you might be the best candidate but the group of people that is around table deciding whether or not to hire you is sitting around saying "I just don't see what is so great about this candidate" , "they have come close to getting the job done a couple of times but thats about it", "maybe we offer them an entry level position and see what they can do."

I have no problem with you getting an at large, you deserve one. I have no problem with you getting a home game. I just don't think (opinion) that you deserve a seed. I am not so sure that UNI deserves one either for that matter but the homer in me wants them to get one.

UNIChippewa
November 23rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
You needed a break to beat Southern Utah fer cryin' out loud.

Hey, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you are NOT entitled to your own version of the facts. What "break" are you talking about? Sure, we were tied at halftime, but then scored, oh, 17 points in the 3rd quarter to put the game away, so I have no idea what you mean by "break".

And besides, if you are going to be critical of us for only winning by 10 against an inferior opponent, then what does it say about SIU having to go to overtime to beat a mediocre Illinois State team?

matfu
November 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
has the selection show already been on? if not, time and channel?

Hoyadestroya85
November 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
7:00 ESPNU

matfu
November 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
so...no one will know the answers until the show? wow..i don't like the 7 pm deal. oh well.

Cincy App
November 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
I have drafted a couple bracket versions but will go with the one below. I believe the first 3 seeds will happen - the fourth is up in the air. The 16th team is also anyone's guess. If I were on the committee I would give the spot to Jax State. However, I expect Liberty to get the nod. Anyway...

Liberty at #1 JMU
Wofford at SC State
Richmond at #4 N. Iowa
UNH at S. Illinois

EKU at #2 ASU
Colgate at Villanova
Texas St at #3 Montana
Weber St at Cal Poly

Syntax Error
November 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Last guess:

Upper Bracket

Texas State @ #4 Montana
Weber State @ Cal Poly

Lower Bracket

Eastern Kentucky @ Southern Illinois

Colgate @ #3 Villanova

Appinator
November 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Last guess:

Upper Bracket

Texas State @ #4 Montana
Weber State @ Cal Poly

Lower Bracket

Eastern Kentucky @ Southern Illinois

Colgate @ #3 Villanova

I like yours with the exception of the UR/App game. Here is my best stab, Home teams listed first:

JMU (1) - Liberty
Richmond - Wofford
Cal Poly (4) - Weber St.
UNI - UNH

App (2) - SCSU
SIU - EKU
Montana (3) - Texas St.
Villanova - Colgate

Virtually the same games, just arranged differently

TheValleyRaider
November 23rd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I've tried to hold off, but no reason to any longer. Might as well submit a prediction, but Bracketology-style, of course :D

Autobids
Big Sky-Weber State
CAA-James Madison
MEAC-South Carolina State
MVFC-Southern Illinois
OVC-Eastern Kentucky
Patriot-Colgate
Southern-Appalachian State
Southland-Texas State

At-Larges (in no particular order)
1-Montana
2-Villanova
3-New Hampshire
4-Richmond
5-Northern Iowa
6-Wofford
7-Cal Poly
8-Liberty

Seeds
1-James Madison
2-Appalachian State
3-Montana
4-Villanova

Matchups
James Madison with Liberty
Appalachian State with Eastern Kentucky
Montana with Texas State
Villanova with Southern Illinois
Cal Poly with Weber State
Colgate with New Hampshire
Northern Iowa with Richmond
South Carolina State with Wofford
SCSU and Wofford are in the same state, and close together for one matchup. This lets ASU host EKU (close enough), while JMU gets VA foe Liberty. Colgate and UNH were close enough, I think, and Nova conceivably could have been close enough to a more Southern team. The western matchups stayed as is, which left UNI getting Richmond and SIU getting Villanova. SIU being lower-rated, I thought, warrented them going to the seeded team and not UNI

Hosts
James Madison hosts Liberty
Appalachian State hosts Eastern Kentucky
Montana hosts Texas State
Villanova hosts Northern Iowa
Cal Poly hosts Weber State
New Hampshire hosts Colgate
Northern Iowa hosts Richmond
South Carolina State hosts Wofford
Seeds are straightforward. I expect Cal Poly and UNH to outbid their opponents, I'm guessing UNI can outbid Richmond, though those are both probably good bids, and I think SC State, with their attendance, puts in a better bid than Richardson-aided Wofford

Matchups (listed by the home team)
James Madison with New Hampshire
Appalachian State with South Carolina State
Montana with Northern Iowa
Villanova with Cal Poly
ASU would get the closer SC State or Wofford, giving JMU the northeastern teams. You could see those 2 given to Nova, but I thought the Dukes deserved the lower rated matchup. I didn't want the 2 western matchups to be a quarterfinal, so I set the Cal Poly matchup with Nova and gave the UNI game to Montana, though it would not shock me in the least to see those switched (if I actually happen to be right or something)

Brackets
1-James Madison
Liberty

New Hampshire
Colgate

4-Villanova
Southern Illinois

Cal Poly
Weber State

2-Appalachian State
Eastern Kentucky

South Carolina State
Wofford

3-Montana
Texas State

Northern Iowa
Richmond

I don't care for the fact that 3 CAA teams are in one half of the bracket, or that both SoCon teams would meet in the Quarters. Still, as the layout unfolded, this was what I came up with happening. Most likely where I'd be wrong would be Colgate facing seeded Villanova rather than UNH, which would put UNH somewhere else in the country. You'll probably learn soon enough that I'm not on the committee :p

Dukie95
November 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Here's mine. I didn't add home games, because I don't know who bids higher. These matchups maximize bus travel through two rounds, especially with the 1 and 2 seed brackets.

Top Bracket
James Madison (1)
Liberty

Villanova
Colgate

Northern Iowa (4)
Texas State

Southern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky

Bottom Bracket
Appalachian State (2)
South Carolina State

Richmond
Wofford

Montana (3)
New Hampshire

Weber State
Cal Poly

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Big South qualifies for the new 'automatic at-large' spot this season by...

1) conference qualifies for an AQ, but didn't get picked to get one (must be)
2) 8 Division 1 wins for the conference champ (9 wins)
2) conference champ beats 2 teams from AQ conferences (3 wins)
3) conf. champ is top 16 in the coaches poll or media poll or NCAA's version of GPI (#14 media)

It's gotta go to Liberty.

ToTheLeft
November 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Big South qualifies for the new 'automatic at-large' spot this season by...

1) conference qualifies for an AQ, but didn't get picked to get one (must be)
2) 8 Division 1 wins for the conference champ (9 wins)
2) conference champ beats 2 teams from AQ conferences (3 wins)
3) conf. champ is top 16 in the coaches poll or media poll or NCAA's version of GPI (#14 media)

It's gotta go to Liberty.

That only applied to the NEC this year. SB needs to be a full member for 2 years in order for this to apply to the Big South.

That being said, the fact that we did what we need to go to earn this auto "bridge" is a pretty convincing argument, I think...

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well, can't argue with a Liberty guy. :)

new media poll: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

ToTheLeft
November 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Well, can't argue with a Liberty guy. :)

new media poll: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

Depending on which Liberty guy, feel free.

Some of us are more wrong than others. xrulesx

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
That poll has Liberty as last team in.

ValleyChamp
November 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
xrolleyesx SIU has not trailed for one second in any of their eight wins. You needed a break to beat Southern Utah fer cryin' out loud.

Having to beat Missouri State on the last play of the game is just as bad as losing in my opinion.

We needed a break to beat SUU? They scored a TD at the end of the game to make it a 10 point game. That game was not that close.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Having to beat Missouri State on the last play of the game is just as bad as losing in my opinion.

We needed a break to beat SUU? They scored a TD at the end of the game to make it a 10 point game. That game was not that close.
Terry Allen would disagree with you about that first one.

SIU beat you earlier this season when you still had your two top WRs who have since been suspended. What makes you think you would have a better result now?

ValleyChamp
November 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM

SIU beat you earlier this season when you still had your two top WRs who have since been suspended. What makes you think you would have a better result now?

I saw that MSU team play. They were HORRID. They almost lost to Indiana State yesterday as well. UNI gave up only 4 plays on the UNI side of the 50 yard line against them. It took SIU a long bomb the last play of the game to beat that same team.

Losing our WR was a big loss. But not that big. They were not a focal point of our offense. I promise you, UNI would not lose to SIU if they played today. Lets hope we find out.xthumbsupx

JALMOND
November 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Nothing better to do Sunday (the fiancee is mad at me anyway). Here's what I come up with...

Liberty @ James Madison (1)
Wofford @ Southern Illinois

New Hampshire @ Northern Iowa (4)
Weber State @ Cal Poly

SC State @ Appalachian State (2)
Colgate @ Villanova

Texas State @ Montana (3)
E Kentucky @ Richmond

clenz
November 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM

That is the same TA team that had a massive 84 yards of offense against UNI.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I saw that MSU team play. They were HORRID. They almost lost to Indiana State yesterday as well. UNI gave up only 4 plays on the UNI side of the 50 yard line against them. It took SIU a long bomb the last play of the game to beat that same team.

Losing our WR was a big loss. But not that big. They were not a focal point of our offense. I promise you, UNI would not lose to SIU if they played today. Lets hope we find out.xthumbsupx
You also squeaked out a one point win over a YSU team a week after we had beaten them 33-0. Comparing scores like this does not prove that much.

tingly
November 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I got the impression from the McCutcheon interview that they don't look deeper than common opponents and they don't give that a great amount of weight.

crunifan
November 23rd, 2008, 03:22 PM

You of all should understand the crazy things that happen when we play at each others stadiums.

Do you honestly think SIU is so good as to force FIVE turnovers against UNI, all at critical points in the game?

You "struggled" against Missouri State, North Dakota State (you lost), Illinois State, and South Dakota State.

The only close games UNI had were SIU and Youngstown. And Youngstown State was our back up QB's first start ever. Plus, Youngstown State considers us their biggest rival. We always have close games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm goin with a few curveballs
Liberty @ #1 JMU
EKU @ Southern Illinois

Colgate @ #4 Villanova
Richmond @ Wofford

SSCU @ #2 App State
UNH @ Northern Iowa

Texas State @ #3 Montana
Weber State @ Cal Poly

ViennaSpider
November 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM
Nothing better to do Sunday (the fiancee is mad at me anyway). Here's what I come up with...

Liberty @ James Madison (1)
Wofford @ Southern Illinois

New Hampshire @ Northern Iowa (4)
Weber State @ Cal Poly

SC State @ Appalachian State (2)
Colgate @ Villanova

Texas State @ Montana (3)
E Kentucky @ Richmond

A rematch of last year's first round game between Eastern Kentucky & Richmond sounds great to me. The only problem is the new 400-mile travel distance critria. Probably won't happen.

EKUSteve
November 23rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
A rematch of last year's first round game between Eastern Kentucky & Richmond sounds great to me. The only problem is the new 400-mile travel distance critria. Probably won't happen.

Using the rule and assuming our bid does not win out, the three teams within the 400 mile rule are:

App ST
SIU
Wofford

Might have a chance for a home game if we play Wofford.

EKUSteve
November 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Using the rule and assuming our bid does not win out, the three teams within the 400 mile rule are:

App ST
SIU
Wofford

Might have a chance for a home game if we play Wofford.

But I am expecting to be playing one of the first two.

griz&beer
November 23rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
If i could not put Montana in a seed I would do this.

1 JMU
2 App
3 Polly
4 UNI or Nova