PDA

View Full Version : DAMN KICKER

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well Cal Poly finishes with two losses on the year, both mostly due to missed kicks. To make it more weird, they beat an FBS with a last second FG.

What other teams have a DAMN KICKER? :)

GRZZ
November 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
We aren't our normal selves in the kicking game. It scares the hell out of me for the playoffs.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Felipe Macias kicked a 55 yard FG against Texas Tech and a 53 yarder against Colorado.

We have a DAMN GOOD KICKER!!

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Well Cal Poly finishes with two losses on the year, both mostly due to missed kicks. To make it more weird, they beat an FBS with a last second FG.

What other teams have a DAMN KICKER? :)

Now, now, we must be understanding and symathetic, not critical.xnonox xnonox

Stang Fever
November 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Cal Poly is Undeafeated
Andrew Gardner (the Kicker) is 8-2

tingly
November 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Think poly has a prayer of making the playoffs next year? Losing a big senior class

mvemjsunpx
November 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Cal Poly is Undeafeated

Um, aren't kickers a part of the team?

Special teams are important, too, & from what I saw way back in the Montana game, Cal Poly's special teams suck.

ToTheLeft
November 22nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Liberty has 3 competent kickers. Our walk on punter Mike Larrson is probably pretty good at place kicking, too. I would give you guys one of ours, but I like having depth. :)

JALMOND
November 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Cal Poly is Undeafeated

Portland State will trade you places if you want and take the spot in the playoffs. Spending Thanksgiving with in-laws is getting SO old!xthumbsupx

We have a kicker.

Green26
November 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM
I've been saying all along that the CP kicker is expecially pathetic. He certainly proved my point today.

coover
November 22nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
2 losses this year, both because of missed kicks ... a tough year for Gardner, but he is our best kicker. The coaching staff doesn't (generally) recruit kickers, figuring a good one or two will walk on. This didn't happen this year. I think that (perhaps) in the future, they may decide to give (at least) a half a scholarship for a kicker.

In the mean time, it will be a very long plane ride home for Gardner. I hope he can get the support he needs from friends and teamates, but I'm glad I'm not him.

On the positive side of the loss, the team showed how well they can play against what was supposed to be a superior team. The rest of the FCS had better be ready starting next week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Last year DAMN KICKER cost GSU an outright conference championship and a playoff spot, even though he did arguably win 3 for us also.

griz37
November 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
I've been saying all along that the CP kicker is expecially pathetic. He certainly proved my point today.

He would be the best player at Dartmouth.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
Now, now, we must be understanding and symathetic, not critical.you must have missed the CP game thread xnodx

Stang Fever
November 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I dont get it. I have talked to some of my former teammates at Poly and we all are SHOCKED (understatement) how the kicker could miss three extra points. I felt like this was a game that could help put us on the MAP and we let the kicker let us down

JALMOND
November 22nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
I dont get it. I have talked to some of my former teammates at Poly and we all are SHOCKED (understatement) how the kicker could miss three extra points. I felt like this was a game that could help put us on the MAP and we let the kicker let us down

The game did put you on the map. Great performance. Badgers have had a down season but not anywhere like Washington or Washington State. Stand by your kicker. Oregon State had a similar game a couple years ago at LSU. No one gave them a shot and they would have won if the kicker could kick.

My opinion, but I don't think you hurt your playoff chances at all with this performance. If anything, I think the fact you took them to OT in their big stadium actually helps you.

Hansel
November 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
NDSU has missed 2 fgs in this game already

NDSU is 12/19 on FGs while its opponents are 15/15

Pauly LB
November 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM
2 losses this year, both because of missed kicks ... a tough year for Gardner, but he is our best kicker. The coaching staff doesn't (generally) recruit kickers, figuring a good one or two will walk on. This didn't happen this year. I think that (perhaps) in the future, they may decide to give (at least) a half a scholarship for a kicker.

In the mean time, it will be a very long plane ride home for Gardner. I hope he can get the support he needs from friends and teamates, but I'm glad I'm not him.

On the positive side of the loss, the team showed how well they can play against what was supposed to be a superior team. The rest of the FCS had better be ready starting next week.

It is, however, a shame that we have to learn things the hard way. Remember last year when Cal Poly did not have a prevent defense in their pocket against North Dakota State. We were burned with an 80 yard touchdown pass. Now we have a prevent defense. As you note Cal Poly does not pay a kicker to come to Cal Poly with scholarship monies. Instead they let their 63 scholarship athletes fight it out on the field and then they place the game in the hands (sorry, make that foot) of a guy that has walked-on and earned the kicker's job. So often important (and not so important) games are won and lost with the kicker. I would bet that Cal Poly's coaching staff looks to find a impact kicker and spends a bit of that scholarship money. Perhaps they can recruit one less quarterback...

As for Andrew Gardner, I also feel sorry for him. Unfortunately these are the kind of events that stay with you the rest of your life. I too hope that Andrew Gardner is able to collect himself and move on. Like today is the 45th anniversary of the assasination of JFK. Does anybody remember where they were when JFK was assassinated.

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
It is, however, a shame that we have to learn things the hard way. Remember last year when Cal Poly did not have a prevent defense in their pocket against North Dakota State. We were burned with an 80 yard touchdown pass. Now we have a prevent defense. As you note Cal Poly does not pay a kicker to come to Cal Poly with scholarship monies. Instead they let their 63 scholarship athletes fight it out on the field and then they place the game in the hands (sorry, make that foot) of a guy that has walked-on and earned the kicker's job. So often important (and not so important) games are won and lost with the kicker. I would bet that Cal Poly's coaching staff looks to find a impact kicker and spends a bit of that scholarship money. Perhaps they can recruit one less quarterback...

As for Andrew Gardner, I also feel sorry for him. Unfortunately these are the kind of events that stay with you the rest of your life. I too hope that Andrew Gardner is able to collect himself and move on. Like today is the 45th anniversary of the assasination of JFK. Does anybody remember where they were when JFK was assassinated.

Poor coaching for sure. All those soccer players running around out there and CP can't talk one of them into kicking. Pretty feeble.xnodx

slostang
November 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM

You think?

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
NDSU for sure. Cut him loose and get a new kicker