PDA

View Full Version : Congrats TXST Bobcats

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
TXST win the automatic bid and the "unofficial" Southland championship.

Came back from 21-0 to win the game and make their second playoff appearance in school history.

Now, good luck in the playoffs and enjoy Missoula!

bobcatfan06
November 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Congrats to the Bearkats, ya'll played a heck of a game. And I know it's "unofficial" but it will be in the books as Texas State Bobcats- 2008 Southland Conference Champions.

Missoula is going to be rough, but hey 2 playoff appearances in 4 years isn't bad considering where we have been.

Cat79
November 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

Came back from 21-0 to win the game and make their second playoff appearance in school history.

I bet that hurt after all of your negative remarks all year.:D

BTW, the McNeese UCA game is not over yet. It could end in a three way tie between UCA, McNeese and Texas State

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
With the AQ out of question, I hope UCA wins the game and wins the Southland Conference title *

BobcatTXST04
November 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Texas Terror,

Thanks for all your support this year (well until this game xlolx )

That was a helluva game, I don't think anyone on either team could breathe until that last TD.

We'll certainly enjoy Missoula, and hopefully we can continue on and finish out our season with a FCS Championship!

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
We'll certainly enjoy Missoula, and hopefully we can continue on and finish out our season with a FCS Championship!

It's called the Division I National Championship. xwhistlex

bobcatfan06
November 22nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
With the AQ out of question, I hope UCA wins the game and wins the Southland Conference title *

But that trophy sits in San Marcos, Texas, not Conway, Arkansas.

BobcatTXST04
November 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM

or Lake Charles, LA for that matter!

bobcatfan06
November 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
or Lake Charles, LA for that matter!

True. Stupid co-championships.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM

TXST can be patted on the back about the SLC AQ and have the "official" trophy, but a championship will be claimed by both TXST and UCA (who has told their student-athletes, they will do everything to honor their champions as such if they care of business today).

I am not taking anything away from the Bobcats as the AQ is deserved, but I won't take an on the field championship away from the Bears if they deserved it.

slycat
November 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Heck of a game. Kats gave us everything they had. This is why I love having this game the last of the year.

Now on the Montana to do something no SLC team has ever done......win.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Didn't McNeese beat Montana in Missoula, MT once before?

I'm working on my playoff prognostications and with the geographical issues of several West teams within grasp of a playoff home game, it may not be Montana...

slycat
November 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM

I'm working on my playoff prognostications and with the geographical issues of several West teams within grasp of a playoff home game, it may not be Montana...

I don;t remember McNesse winning there but I'm usually wrong.

With Weber St losing it may help our chances of getting a game. Cal Poly may get it though.

uofmman1122
November 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Didn't McNeese beat Montana in Missoula, MT once before?No.

Wofford is the only "Southern" team to ever win in Washington Grizzly Stadium. That includes all the southern conferences. (Southland, Big South, SoCon, etc.)

Conversely, Montana has never won at McNeese State in the playoffs.

FCS Go!
November 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

Nope. I think Montana has lost twice in Lake Charles though.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Texas State is the OFFICIAL SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE CHAMPION (at this moment). UCA has no claim whatsoever on it. No asterisk, no nothing. UCA can celebrate their "mythical" title but take nothing away from the team(s) that actually won it. It would be a petty and childish thing to do that.

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Texas State is the OFFICIAL SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE CHAMPION (at this moment). UCA has no claim whatsoever on it. No asterisk, no nothing. UCA can celebrate their "mythical" title but take nothing away from the team(s) that actually won it. It would be a petty and childish thing to do that.

Taking nothing away from TXST, I'm just giving more to UCA xthumbsupx

slycat
November 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Taking nothing away from TXST, I'm just giving more to UCA xthumbsupx

Me too. But I'm very happy to say Texas State are Champs.

MaximumBobcat
November 22nd, 2008, 06:57 PM

Don't you mean Official Champs?

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM

Only mythical trophy is the one given to Brad Wright today. No smack at TXST as they were playing by the rules that were laid infront of them, but the ball was dropped. xnonox

Don't you mean Official Champs?

I've already made it clear that I planned to refuse acceptance of the SLC title, regardless of who won it, by any team other than UCA if they won the outright title -- which they did.

Congrats on the AQ, make us proud in the postseason, but I am not taking away a title earned on the field from Coach Conque and company.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Only mythical trophy is the one given to Brad Wright today...Did they pass you a crazy pill today? You can say that you disagree with NCAA rules but Texas State got the OFFICIAL SLC CHAMP TROPHY, not a mythical one. xnodx

Dallas Demon
November 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Only mythical trophy is the one given to Brad Wright today. No smack at TXST as they were playing by the rules that were laid infront of them, but the ball was dropped. xnonox

I've already made it clear that I planned to refuse acceptance of the SLC title, regardless of who won it, by any team other than UCA if they won the outright title -- which they did.

Congrats on the AQ, make us proud in the postseason, but I am not taking away a title earned on the field from Coach Conque and company.

TT, the rules were always there, they apparently just were not read. Stop taking away the glory that Texas St. deserves, they are the Southland Conference Champions and the AQ for the Southland. They had a great season, congrats to the Bobcats.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Did they pass you a crazy pill today? You can say that you disagree with NCAA rules but Texas State got the OFFICIAL SLC CHAMP TROPHY, not a mythical one. xnodx

They got the official trophy, correct.

However, it's just as mythical IMO as the BCS crystal ball. That's an official championship (of some sorts), but it does not mean it was earned on the field. Same goes for this year's SLC title... xnonono2x

TT, the rules were always there, they apparently just were not read. Stop taking away the glory that Texas St. deserves, they are the Southland Conference Champions and the AQ for the Southland. They had a great season, congrats to the Bobcats.

How are they rules when they are not followed? The SLC did not follow the rules in 2007 when they announced UCA could have been champion with a win over McNeese in the final week. Then, the SLC began the season with one set of rules and changed to the actual set later. Why change the rules halfway through? TXST deserve the SLC AQ, but they did not earn the championship on the field. How can you argue that?

I refuse to recognize the SLC championship this year. Simple as that. I have made it rather clear beforehand, regardless of who won it.

Syntax Error
November 22nd, 2008, 08:29 PM
However, it's just as mythical IMO as the BCS crystal ball. That's an official championship (of some sorts), but it does not mean it was earned on the field. Same goes for this year's SLC title... They won it fair and square. There was no eligible team better. PERIOD. Are you going to vote UCA #1 in the polls too?

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
They won it fair and square. There was no eligible team better. PERIOD. Are you going to vote UCA #1 in the polls too?

They are #11 in my final poll ballot, which I just submitted to TSN and ahead of every team in the SLC, as they should. Can't fault reasoning... xthumbsupx

TXST is in my poll too, if that's too much for you to digest. And that my friends is an unbiased opinion. They deserve top 25 placement this week.

Dallas Demon
November 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM

However, it's just as mythical IMO as the BCS crystal ball. That's an official championship (of some sorts), but it does not mean it was earned on the field. Same goes for this year's SLC title... xnonono2x

How are they rules when they are not followed? The SLC did not follow the rules in 2007 when they announced UCA could have been champion with a win over McNeese in the final week. Then, the SLC began the season with one set of rules and changed to the actual set later. Why change the rules halfway through? TXST deserve the SLC AQ, but they did not earn the championship on the field. How can you argue that?

I refuse to recognize the SLC championship this year. Simple as that. I have made it rather clear beforehand, regardless of who won it.

Just curious, would you be carrying on as such if SHSU didn't have such a dismal season and was in TxST's position? You don't have to answer, I know what you will say publicly. xwhistlex

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
They deserve top 25 placement this week

I disagree. Top 25 means you can compete nationally IMHO. TXST has not proven that yet - losing to a 4-7 SUU and barely beating a 1-10 NC.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just curious, would you be carrying on as such if SHSU didn't have such a dismal season and was in TxST's position? You don't have to answer, I know what you will say publicly. xwhistlex

Nope, I have been very outspoken regarding this. I said I'd do the same if it were SHSU, NWST, TXST, McN or whomever as long as UCA had outright "won" the title...

How is it a championship when you do not even beat the teams you are supposed to beat? If SHSU had loss to UCA and UCA won the outright, it would not even be a question...

It's one thing if UCA used illegal players or something that would warrant an NCAA eye staring down at their program, but they did things cleanly on the field.

I'd be excited about the AQ, since I love FCS on the national level and it would be SHSU getting their chance, but I'd prefer adding an * in our media guide.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
I disagree. Top 25 means you can compete nationally IMHO. TXST has not proven that yet - losing to a 4-7 SUU and barely beating a 1-10 NC.

There's several teams in the top 25 that find ways to win every week, even over the bad teams. If you can find a way and TXST is 5-0 on the road against FCS competition, that's all it takes. Scores are not relative. It's Ws and Ls.

Bobcats have a strong offense. If their defense pieces together anything and the team goes about their business, they will reach far in the playoffs. And gawd knows the SLC needs it!

Cat79
November 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM

What was McNeese rated when we defeated them in Lake Charles. I think #3

We deserve to be in the top 25.:D

Cat79
November 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM

We both know he is a sore loser.

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
What was McNeese rated when we defeated them in Lake Charles. I think #3

We deserve to be in the top 25.:D

Yeah, and McNeese fans blasted me for saying every week they were overrated. Guess I ended up being right......... again for the 2nd straight season.

Retro
November 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Nope, I have been very outspoken regarding this. I said I'd do the same if it were SHSU, NWST, TXST, McN or whomever as long as UCA had outright "won" the title...

How is it a championship when you do not even beat the teams you are supposed to beat? If SHSU had loss to UCA and UCA won the outright, it would not even be a question...

It's one thing if UCA used illegal players or something that would warrant an NCAA eye staring down at their program, but they did things cleanly on the field.

I'd be excited about the AQ, since I love FCS on the national level and it would be SHSU getting their chance, but I'd prefer adding an * in our media guide.

Well, Technically they do have some illegal players because they are in transition because some players qualified under D-II rules and instead of kicking those players off and making a big mess, the NCAA has a transition period, which they are still in.. Just like NDSU was in last year... UCA knew the rules going in and if they didn't, they should have read them.. Just because the SLC assumed it was ok and was wrong, doesn't give anymore legitimacy to UCA's claim or whatever..

I don't think any team in the conference wants to see the conference without a playoff team when they fully deserve it under current Conference and NCAA rules...

That being said, i have great respect for what UCA accomplished.

Cat79
November 22nd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, and McNeese fans blasted me for saying every week they were overrated. Guess I ended up being right......... again for the 2nd straight season.

You have the talent on the team. The coaching staff is not getting it done for Sam Houston.

Retro
November 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM

You know, your such loser! The reason Mcneese gets that respect in the rankings because they are there nearly every year and they don't lose to teams in lower divisions, beat good OOC teams, beat FBS teams they should and have won 12 conference titles, 2 national champ runner ups and so on...

McNeese wasn't overrated in any respect last season.. They went 11-0 including a win over FBS team that other SLC teams couldn't beat, lost their best KR/WR for the year, lost the best DL in the FCS for the last 2 games and lost to what was a very good BSC team on a cold super wet field that simply out coached them.. That team gave the great App St a run for their money the next week, so just STFU already!xrolleyesx

KleinTx05
November 22nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
McNeese wasn't overrated in any respect last season..

Nor this season or any other season IMO...McNeese earns everything they get. I respect that program to the "T". A bunch of hard-nose fast guys who live for football. If i wasnt a Bobcat ...naw ... i cant imagine saying that but you know what i am thinking xsmiley_wix

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
You know, your such loser! The reason Mcneese gets that respect in the rankings because they are there nearly every year and they don't lose to teams in lower divisions, beat good OOC teams, beat FBS teams they should and have won 12 conference titles, 2 national champ runner ups and so on...

McNeese wasn't overrated in any respect last season.. They went 11-0 including a win over FBS team that other SLC teams couldn't beat, lost their best KR/WR for the year, lost the best DL in the FCS for the last 2 games and lost to what was a very good BSC team on a cold super wet field that simply out coached them.. That team gave the great App St a run for their money the next week, so just STFU already!xrolleyesx

I know xthumbsupx

Final results speak for themselves. No arguements needed.

BEAR
November 22nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
UCA hasn't used the division II recruiting rules in 3 years! Sure is strange how this team allegedly had success with division I players usurping the rules with transfers from division I using the division II rule. Not likely. As a matter of fact, I can't think of one division I player on the team, that had any contribution to the team in any meaningful way, that was a division I transfer 3 years ago that got in under the division II rule that allegedly is still being used by UCA. xcoffeex That bird don't fly..xlolx

patssle
November 22nd, 2008, 09:43 PM
UCA hasn't used the division II recruiting rules in 3 years! Sure is strange how this team allegedly had success with division I players usurping the rules with transfers from division I using the division II rule. Not likely. As a matter of fact, I can't think of one division I player on the team, that had any contribution to the team in any meaningful way, that was a division I transfer 3 years ago that got in under the division II rule that allegedly is still being used by UCA. xcoffeex That bird don't fly..xlolx

I'm respecting UCA, but lets see if you folks can get it done without Nathan Brown. You guys had no defense (story of the SLC) this year. TAMUCC came into the conference in MBB and won the SLC their first year, then sucked the following year.

TexasTerror
November 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
TAMUCC came into the conference in MBB and won the SLC their first year, then sucked the following year.

Much different situation...and now, of course -- A&M-CC has their share of NCAA problems.

KleinTx05
November 22nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'm respecting UCA, but lets see if you folks can get it done without Nathan Brown.

Thats what im saying ... we'll see if you can get it done next year ... and if you dont then does it really matter THIS YEAR if you "should have won" the conference title ...trust me ...Noone remembers who comes in second

TheRevSWT
November 22nd, 2008, 10:22 PM

Terror, I expected better from you.

Think before you type:

The Bobcats are the OFFICIAL Southland Champs. Why is this so? Easy, because we share the best record in conference over all eligible teams.

If you want to argue that UCA is the unofficial champs (because they were ineligible), then that's fine. But the mistake you made is just being foolish.

Cat79
November 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
TheRevSwt

You should know better with TT. His hate has crossed the line too much.

Bobcat94
November 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
HAAAA!!!! Texas State got another trophy!!!!!!:D xrotatehx :D

UpandIn913
November 23rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
HAAAA!!!! Texas State got another trophy!!!!!!:D xrotatehx :D

Granted Texas State won the trophy but still didn't beat the best team in the SLC. So until you do that then come talk to me. Last check, you got it handed to you last year on regional TV and then still couldn't beat us this year. You guys have fun in the first round playoffs, because you may not be there very long.

You have to beat the best to be the best!

Panther88
November 23rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Congrats TxST on your SLC title! Would've loved to have seen PV and PVers travel to San Marcos for a first round tilt. :( Can you say SELL-OUT????!!!!!

xbawlingx I need consoling in the worst possible way. :(

treacherous
November 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Granted Texas State won the trophy but still didn't beat the best team in the SLC. So until you do that then come talk to me. Last check, you got it handed to you last year on regional TV and then still couldn't beat us this year. You guys have fun in the first round playoffs, because you may not be there very long.

You have to beat the best to be the best!

Well, considering that UCA is not actually eligible to be in a conference this year, that's not at all true.

The way I see it, we were 5-1 in conference and lost to UCA in an OOC game.

Now, for TT. Man, I have NEVER had less respect for you than I do right now. And that's not saying much.

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Well, considering that UCA is not actually eligible to be in a conference this year, that's not at all true.

UCA is eligible to be in the conference, just ineligible to win the conference championship.

The way I see it, we were 5-1 in conference and lost to UCA in an OOC game.

This must explain why TXST is getting 11 points in the Commish Cup instead of 12, right? Those OOC games shouldn't have an impact on the CC, but apparently they are. xwhistlex

Now, for TT. Man, I have NEVER had less respect for you than I do right now. And that's not saying much.

Well, I apologize for giving UCA credit and I'm ashamed that you are belittling their season with your above remarks which are not accurate. xnonono2x

slycat
November 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Congrats TxST on your SLC title! Would've loved to have seen PV and PVers travel to San Marcos for a first round tilt. :( Can you say SELL-OUT????!!!!!

That would have been awesome. Too bad y'all have to wait for a coin flip.

Cat79
November 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM

Good luck to the Panthers

That would have been a first round sell out no doubt

BTW
Congrats on the top 25 rating

NSUDemon98
November 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Thats what im saying ... we'll see if you can get it done next year ... and if you dont then does it really matter THIS YEAR if you "should have won" the conference title ...trust me ...Noone remembers who comes in second

Here, here....that's exactly what I am saying. Nathan Brown has carried that team for 4 straight years...and gotten better every year doing it.

He IS a once in a lifetime athlete...UCA will never have a QB like that again. Like Terry Bradshaw at LaTech, Brett Favre at USM, etc...the type of athlete that transforms a team into something great.

There are lots of coaches in FBS kicking themselves for not picking up on him in h.s.

With all that said...there are 7 teams just licking their chops now that "Superman" isn't there to see exactly what the Bears are made of.

Life without Brown is gonna be a less fruitful. xnodx

UCABEARS75
November 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Congrats to TxSt. The are the SLC champion and had a great year.

We knew the rules going in, no sour grapes. The SLC (and the other teams I might add) did everything they could to welcome us. The NCAA has a complicated set of rules, I am sure they are mis-read very, very often.

Hey, we are over it. We are VERY happy to be in the SLC and look forward to many years of competition.

I would think none of ya'll will have a problem honoring this team with some type of "championship" rings, etc.

With regard to future years; we were playing football and winning before Nathan Brown. He is the best pure QB I have seen play at UCA (since I enrolled in 1971) but we have had some other great ones including some who were better athletes than Nathan.

We will have good QB's again, as soon as next year trust me. There may neve be another one as good as Nathan, but not many teams in the conference will have ones as good as him either.

We have 18 of our top 22 returning on defense plus at least two I can think of who are redshirting who are going to be better than the ones returning.

We lose Nathan and Marquez (TE) on offense as well as three of our top eight in the OL rotation.

We have basically all of our other skill people back.

Will we be 10-2 and 6-1 next year? Highly unlikely. However, we will have a winning record in the SLC over then next few years and probably each year.

CatMom07
November 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
UCABEARS75,

Thank you for your intelligence in this way overworked discussion. It is nice to see that those actually involved in the supposed controversy know and understand it while those that have absolutely nothing to do with either your school or the 2008 SLC champions are fit to be tied. That or they're too dense to digest/fully comprehend it. xcoffeex

Sit back and watch me get blasted for saying so but a couple of these guys post regularly on BobcatFans (why I have no real idea) and seem to get off finding everything and anything wrong with TxSt football. This is just the latest. xcoolx

UCABEARS75
November 24th, 2008, 09:16 AM
UCABEARS75,

Thank you for your intelligence in this way overworked discussion. It is nice to see that those actually involved in the supposed controversy know and understand it while those that have absolutely nothing to do with either your school or the 2008 SLC champions are fit to be tied. That or they're too dense to digest/fully comprehend it. xcoffeex

Sit back and watch me get blasted for saying so but a couple of these guys post regularly on BobcatFans (why I have no real idea) and seem to get off finding everything and anything wrong with TxSt football. This is just the latest. xcoolx

LOL, you are welcome. Of all my posts on various boards this is the FIRST time I have been noted for intelligence. This obviously means CatMom07 has superior intelligence herself.

Best of luck to the Bobcats in the playoffs. As the kids say "Represent".